Speaker 1: So we've been watching Alien Earth for a few weeks behind the curve there. But my husband said the words, said the phrase because I was like, did xenomorphs always just look like a guy running around in a xenomorph suit? And yeah, he goes, xenomorphs are part human and I was like, well, obviously I understand the provenance of alien DNA and xenomorph DNA, and I'm like, well, they share DNA with humans. He said, they are part human, which I disagree with, and I need your your Oh.
Speaker 2: I think originally it was that they're part like whatever got face hugged, but now with Prometheus, I think they're just straight up part human. Yeah, all right, all right, I think I think because that was what that was, what happened, That's what poor Numi was it newly Repace?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, was she was it?
Speaker 2: Whoever it was? Whoever it was at the end the end of Prometheus. Basically you only see her corpse in Alien Covenant. But yeah, so her corpse this DNA. I guess presumably it's it's implied that it's her eggs got turned into the alien eggs, but you know what I mean, Like, I'm pretty sure that's that's now just like part of it is like every alien has I believe new me repaced.
Speaker 4: We could have looked this up, but I'm not going to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has a little bit of new me repaced DNA in them.
Speaker 1: Okay, and she's a human, so yeah.
Speaker 4: That's because of old David.
Speaker 2: But she's also though, a straight up creationist who somehow believes in xenobiology. So the character or the Yeah, there's multiple points in Prometheus where they're like, we're doing this, you know the how okay for God with a capital gene says we're says for letting.
Speaker 3: Me like yeah, yeah, yeah, you can keep talking.
Speaker 2: We're no, And multiple points of Prometheus they're basically like, oh God did this, and it's like, you're a goddamn biologist. What the hell are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Hi?
Speaker 3: Mike, Hello, Hi, we're furious over here about uh Prometheus. I'm really sorry to hear that. Yeah, thanks for doing the show, Yeah, thanks for having me. Are you an alien fan Aliens in general?
Speaker 5: Yes, the alien movies and stories specifically, I've seen some, and I would say I have enjoyed.
Speaker 3: But if you're an Aliens fan, then you are. Then maybe I'm not one. I'm not, but I just know too much about this ship.
Speaker 5: That's that's very interesting to know a lot about something that you're not a fan of.
Speaker 4: Really, I got, I got. Really, people are really bad.
Speaker 2: At me over the things I said about Alien on the last promo clip these guys put out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, was pissed.
Speaker 3: Because I wasn't our point just that they're not a good weapon, they're not the perfect killing machine.
Speaker 2: My point, the point that I thought was being made, was the freaks in the Alien movies who are like, what a what an amazing organism? Those guys are wrong. That was my point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sorry you God for that.
Speaker 4: I liked it. Is it?
Speaker 5: Is it possible that when you try to make a nuanced point on the Internet there might be some people who respond as though they don't understand the exact nuanced point you're trying to make.
Speaker 4: Is that to you?
Speaker 3: It's definitely a theory. You're good and they're bad. I get it, Yet I can't be that. Hello the Internet, and welcome to season four to fourteen, episode three.
Speaker 4: Of Dirty Zi Guys Job.
Speaker 3: There's a production of Iheartradios, the podcast where we take a deep dove into American share consciousness, and it is Wednesday, November twelfth, twenty twenty five. My name is Jack O'Brien aka Potatoes O'Brien, and I'm thrilled to be joined in our second seat today by today's special guest co host, a hilarious and brilliant producer and TV writer. You know him from the US This racist podcast, a new star Trek podcast that I'm thinking he'll probably tell us about.
Speaker 4: It's Andrew D.
Speaker 3: I'm guessing he's contractually obligated.
Speaker 4: I forgot to doing AKAA come up with one.
Speaker 2: But I'm just very clearly I am the way to obsessed with alien biology, alien of all kinds. So that's right. The fucking scientist is in the house. What's up, my the fake scientist is here.
Speaker 3: That's rightationist scientists. Andrew T. Andrew wre thrilled to be joined by a very funny comedian who you've seen on basically every TV show that has ever featured stand up comedy. Doing stand up comedy is a very funny stand up. His newest special is out next week on YouTube. His two podcasts are The Faucet and Broccoli and ice Cream. Please welcome Mike Capwa. So happy to be here.
Speaker 5: Mike Kaplan AKA, a guy whose last album that came out was called Aka, and a guy who will point out that Andrew T and Aliens have the exact same vowels in that A and I and an E, so we're not so different.
Speaker 4: You and Aliens.
Speaker 3: That's right. Yeah, thanks so much for having me a pleasure to thank you for being here, an amazing I for the vowels and people's gimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, vowel expert, that's right, you know all five.
Speaker 5: And sometimes and even sometimes doub you in certain situations.
Speaker 4: Why how come single you gets to.
Speaker 5: Be a vowel all the time, but double the single vowel. I'm coming here to ask questions that no one cares about.
Speaker 3: So real wants to answer because no one cares to answer.
Speaker 5: Some comedians say the things that everyone's afraid to say. I say the thing that everyone it's similar, but for a different reason.
Speaker 3: They're afraid of what it would do to their career. Sometimes a vowel is that.
Speaker 5: In the English language, not so much, but in other languages sometimes here's the way that I did. I studied linguistics in college and all such fu. Yes, so the way that why is sometimes a vowel is that it's basically the same as the letter I or the E sound in consonant position. So you know, if the word starts with A with a y, it's as if you just said e, like yes is yes?
Speaker 4: You just say yes?
Speaker 3: It is like an E and anything that starts with a.
Speaker 5: Exactly, and it is basically the same when anything starts with A with a sound, with a W sound, it's basically you're starting with an ooh, you know, like like what are we talking about? What are we talking about? You know, So it is as much theoretically as much. But for whatever reason, you know, we put why's in vowel positions sometimes like in a tryst or a myth. You know, the the why is the only vowel. I don't know if there are any. Here here's the place I figured it out as I was talking about it. Here's the one place in the English language at least where W acts as a vowel, no other vowels in the word, and it is the verd P W N pone and our consonants W. I just anyone thought that I couldn't name it, you just got poned.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, if you're a graphic designer from the mid two thousands.
Speaker 4: V is also a vowel.
Speaker 3: Just you know, that makes a lot of sense because V is for vowel.
Speaker 4: Looks like you.
Speaker 3: Rules such a such a great about universe of information that.
Speaker 5: We've just you guys talk about the zeitgeist. But I'm like, we're gonna do my zeitgeist.
Speaker 3: Okay, the Kathlin Zeitgeist. We're going to get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're going to tell the listeners a couple of things we're talking about. We've got a broad theory that I'm working on on that, like, as billionaires and people in the Trump administration become more and more isolated, we're just getting like a more and more entertaining look at what the inside of their brains look like, like what every everybody thinks is cool. We got Jeff Bezos entering some like stadium and on PEP rally through a laser tube flanked by late saber wielding guards. And then more importantly, Joyce Carol Oates telling Elon Musk who he was on Twitter and him like, we're having a really hard time dealing with that. So we'll talk about that. It's a little update to the new Emperor has Emperor's New Clothes era that we're living in. We're also going to talk about Target is forcing employees to smile, and they have new rules around this, like with if you're within ten feet, you have to do this, if you're within four feet you have to do this. And I think it's good. No, I think I think it sounds terrifying. And I want to just talk about the phenomenon of the artificial smile because it's been exported from America to other countries with varying degrees of damage and like surreal weirdness, all that plenty more. But first, Mike, we do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history that's revealing about.
Speaker 4: Who you are?
Speaker 5: Sure I in preparation for this, I opened up Google dot com and I'll tell you, Uh the here's the the first several things stop me anytime.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: The most recent thing that I searched was literally my own album A K. A. Because I wanted to get a link for it to put in a newsletter where I was mentioning it.
Speaker 3: Uh So, look into my head is like, what's in there?
Speaker 5: Me? But next up is uh, Pips New York Times, the new game. I don't know if you guys are familiar with the new game Pips in the New York Times suite of app uh, you know the game app games that feature like Wordle and spelling Bee, Pips is a new one. Like Pips refers to the dots on dominoes, and so it's like it's like a.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like ken Ken but with dominoes.
Speaker 5: So it's like or like Sudoku but with math, but with domino So that's a fun game that every every midnight a new one becomes available. And my girlfriend Renie and I went out. If we're you know whatever, we're re usually watching something and one of us will note, oh, it's Pips time, so we'll pause, and I will. For whatever reason, I don't just go into the app. I just go into Google and search. It autocompletes Pips New York Times, So that is that is there. Then I put in Panda Kitchen Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, which is a restaurant indoors my mom and I we live. My mom lives in New Jersey. I live in New York City. We both love the comedian Paul Riser. His special was the first one I ever saw when I was thirteen and nineteen ninety one, we saw him lie I opened for him.
Speaker 4: I know from a right that makes sense.
Speaker 5: Of course, it's all connected, but his I mean, he's been in whiplash, he's been in stranger things, and the boys like his acting career is really thriving, and his stand up has been solid for as long as he been doing.
Speaker 3: He's wonderful.
Speaker 5: Saw him live a couple of years ago, and my mom and I were driving with our partners to go see him in Pennsylvania, just like an hour and a half away, and my mom I was tasked with locating a restaurant where I, a vegan and my girlfriend, a vegan who is allergic to gluten, can eat in Pennsylvania. In that place turns out to maybe be Panda Kitchen, Stroudsburg.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 5: I also looked up Nicki Glazer's SNL monologue. She is a friend who I love, and I was so excited to see.
Speaker 4: Her on there.
Speaker 5: And then also House of Dynamite White House Press Lady, because my girlfriend Reenie and I watched House of Dynamite on Netflix last night and she was like, I recognize that person. Where else do we know her from? And so I looked her up and found out where we knew her from.
Speaker 3: Do you do the guessing? She like, don't tell me yet, don't tell me she.
Speaker 5: Is was incredible. She is amazing at like even just if it's the eye. Like we were watching the Superman movie a week or two ago and she had never I saw it in the theater and I did not recognize this guy. But she's like, is that bald guy Hank? And at first I was like lex Luthor Hank from Breaking Bad. No, not at all, but bald, the bald guy who was the element man. Uh, you know, the guy who could change part of his body into crypt kryptonnight and such. He is the same guy who played Hank No Ho Hank in Barry Yes, so much makeup on Even when she said was, I was like, I still almost don't see it. Reney has incredible powers of observation.
Speaker 3: Friends with that guy, the guy who plays no Hoo Hank. He's like a you know, family friends through and I didn't know he was said, that's how deep he is under makeup.
Speaker 4: He's so incredible.
Speaker 5: No Hohank character is so he's like one of my favorite Greeings, my favorite characters in any any already so fun. So tell tell your family to tell his family to tell him that I like it.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, wait, Mike, going back real quick, not real quick, to the to the vegan and Chinese restaurant thing. And this this might be a thing you already know, but it's a thing that I was told when I went to Asia that I really liked. Which is that for in Asia, especially in China, where they do have a lot of trouble, like really really really understanding, Like no, I seriously don't want any meat in this for real.
Speaker 4: You can tell people you're Buddhist.
Speaker 5: Ah, and that's I am more Buddhist than many people. Yes, though here's here's how a Buddhist I am. Like, I don't want to say that I am one, because previously I would have said Buddhist as well, like a chump, you know, like a chump.
Speaker 4: But I love I've read a lot.
Speaker 5: I have a good friend who is a practicing Buddhist who's taken you know, layperson vows like I have not taken the vows myself. I would not claim to be a Buddhist because I'm worried that people would say, oh, you're a Buddhist.
Speaker 3: Name three of their albums. Yeah, I do love you know.
Speaker 5: I've read a lot of Tick not Han and pay my show Drum and Uh, Suzuki Roshi one of my you know favorite like you know, teachers. And I have this book of things that he has said that his like students have reported, and one of them he said, he said, Uh, for a non Buddhist, there are non Buddhists and Buddhists, but for a Buddhist, everyone is a Buddhist, including bugs, you know, just like we're all We're all in this together, even the bugs.
Speaker 2: I'm realizing as you say this, because because I was told this advice and I'm not vegan, but it was just given to I was on like a trip in college and dah dah dah, and this was given to a white person who was a vegetarian who was having trouble not getting pork in their stuff.
Speaker 4: And I'm realizing.
Speaker 2: I think the choral to that is, if you're a white person who says you're a Buddhist, you're not going to get follow up questions, but they'll still serve you vegan stuff. Because they will kind of roll their eyes and be like, Okay, we get what they want, right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, appreciate it. I'll share one one more plug for a Buddhist teacher who began life as a and continued life as a Jewish woman, a culturally Jewish woman at least, named Sylvia Borstein. And she has a book that I believe is entitled That's Funny You don't look Buddhist so perfect?
Speaker 4: That's the perfect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, amazing, But thank you, thank you for the tip. I will use it. Mike, what's something you think is underrated?
Speaker 5: So under I know that I saw I remember that this question was going to be coming. I have a few answers. My first answer is a thing that I love that I feel like it's so interesting to talk about things as overrated and underrated when I feel like all of these things are relative. Where, you know, especially today, when your algorithm will you know, prop gate and perpetuate the things that you like or that maybe you don't even know that you are clicking on and engaging with. And you say to somebody like, why is my computer why does my phone keep showing me this? It's like, well, because of you, you know, you have revealed something about yourself and there's less of a monoculture today. So, like, I mean, one answer that I would say for myself personally, I love advice columns, and I think that most people don't think about, or care about, or read or engage with advice columns or podcasts as much as I do.
Speaker 4: We're out there.
Speaker 3: I'm not the only one. I'm not innovating it.
Speaker 5: But I think, based on my tastes, I love advice columns and would love to and think that they are thus because of that underrated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're definitely having a resurgence of the podcast space, Like it is a type like a format that has been coming back, I think because it's a way to engage with other people that isn't the news, you know, like that which people are just like, ah, I want to hear about like messy drama that like isn't about the fact that the world is dying, And so yeah, let me hear about the politics of your workplace, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: And oh absolutely, And there's some that are so specific like specifically with the politics of workplace, Like there's a podcast I think she used to have a podcast, but definitely has a column Alison Green, and her column is called ask a Manager, and like, I'm not even I don't work in a quote unquote workplace.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't have HR. I don't have you know, a boss and a grand boss.
Speaker 5: And yet ultimately, at the at the root, all of these questions are like, you know, questions about guidelines of how to live as a human being, how to get along with other people, Like there's you know, relationships, It's all very human and relatable. Even if the question is like, you know, my boss did this specific thing, shouldn't I get paid more for? Like I know, one of the questions we address later. Oh also, just real quick, do you think that I know we're going to get into this later. Do you think that Jeff Bezos is following the target model of like, hey, everyone, when I come out surrounded by lightsabers, smile if you're within one million miles of me, smile.
Speaker 3: Or is he like look scared.
Speaker 4: Before me?
Speaker 3: Because the way, like everything I've heard about Amazon, like being an Amazon executive, is that people are openly crying in their offices, like because of how like brutal it is to work there, like at the high level, not just like on the you know, factory floors. So I wonder if he has like a different kink where he's like, you better not smile.
Speaker 2: What is that he is knowing which side? I bet he makes no rules. It's just like everyone who doesn't do what he already wants get gets a little fired.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people get fired so quick at Amazon, a little fired. That's but yes, it felt the columns.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I just think that we all, you know, in life, at various points, are trying to figure out what to do in you know, in general or in specific situations. You know, some of us have friends that we go to. Some of us, you know, might look to various community enterprises you're a part of, be it you know, a religious affiliation or you know, just your your group text or what have you. And yeah, I think and I'm not saying that I get all of my how I live my life from advice coms. I just I do love. There's some element also of sometimes a person writing in is the unbeknownst to them, villain of the story, you know, the the am I the asshole without realizing that they might in fact be the asshole. And sometimes to see, you know, a person who is the wronging party, the more harmful person in a situation complaining, you know, the the one percent being like, hey, the ninety nine percent has taken one percent of my one percent, you know, in my mind, like what what can I do about this? And to see you know, come up and delivered or just you know, a deliver it's just yeah, it's there, can be, it could be. I have to be careful because I don't want to just slide down into a realm of judgment. Because I want everyone to live their their best, happiest, most productive, you know, most peaceful, healthy life. And you know, sometimes for me that involves a little bit of schadenfreude, but I'm much more I'm much more into freuden freude, which is taking joy in other people's joy, which is I like to see when people figure out what to do and learn and improve and atone and make amends. So yeah, advice columns like you don't all you don't have to be into them, but I I'm not advising anyone, but I advise myself to continue enjoying advice columns.
Speaker 3: The underrated answer to your question.
Speaker 2: And that's like the best advice columns do. It's not the specific advice right, it's like the train of thought. I feel like the best advice columnists can even just get to the point where like I might be wrong, but right and then.
Speaker 5: Oh absolutely, I mean my I feel like the for many people, like the OG advice columnists were Dear Abby and Anne Landers, and so certainly I did read them growing up, but at a certain point, I feel like there's so many people occupying the space. Like Dan Savage was my first like advice columnist who I loved reading as like I think I found him in college and so I've been reading him for you know, two and a half decades and listening to his podcast. And he brings on experts when the question. If the question is about something relating to drag, he'll bring on, you know, a drag performer. If it's about trans rights, he will bring on a trans guest. If it's about you know, racial issues, I don't know, like Andrew, have you been on the show, Yeah, yeah, yeah, But I feel like, you know, he'll bring on people who have expertise in a thing. If it's like he's like, I'm a white person, I'm a man, this is the question.
Speaker 4: About, you know, not my lane.
Speaker 5: I'm going to bring somebody in whose lane it is so and there's just some people who have expertise and like are really like adults in that they've put in the time and work and effort, and so it's a really it's a really cool thing. And then every once in a while, like there will be obviously sometimes the advice will apply. Like I remember, I don't remember who the guest was, but I was listening to the Dear Prudence podcast, uh several years ago, and this is I've seen this other places other times, but they offered this idea, which is just never compare your insides to someone else's outsides. If you know, if you're looking at somebody's social media feed and be like, wow, why are they why is everyone happy except for me? Well, because you're looking at the photos that they took one thousand shots to get the right one, and you're comparing it to your like, you don't know every time they were like, damn it didn't get that one, Damn it didn't get that one.
Speaker 3: Just standing there, smile on their face, going checking this thing, stone faced, going back, smile on their face, going back, checking the stone face.
Speaker 5: They're doing the target thing to themselves. They're like, okay, smile, we're in four feet of this bone.
Speaker 4: Smile. You can do it. Let's get it.
Speaker 5: But yeah, we know, we know our cockpit, you know, we see every dial and lever and button and you know, emergency light. But for everyone else, it's just the outside of the plane or like that plane looks like it knows what it's doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a fighter jet. Look at that thing. Wow, I'm a lover, not a fighter jet.
Speaker 2: But you know, also alternately, if you're a jet, if you're a listen you're probably not listening to this if you're this kind of person. But if you have the exact opposite personality as Mike, you can also find advice columns that just tell.
Speaker 4: You women are the problems for all your problems. So that is also available, also available.
Speaker 5: It is an art form like many others, like I'm a stand up comedian, and stand up comedy is not a monolith. Obviously, you can find people, you know. There's obviously the alt right comedy verse, which is, uh, you know, who's the force is strong with them these days, you know, the Darth Sith lords of comedy. But then there's also, of course, you're you're Maria Bamford's and a Parnaan Surla's and Tig Nataro's and Sarah Silverman's, you know, the kindness bosses of comedy, you know, the self reflective you know, discussing their own mental health and how we can all sincerely, I mean humorously, like hilariously address things, you know, from the inside. The people who are worried about having imposter syndrome who shouldn't have that where versus the people who don't have that worry who could stand to wonder if they have it?
Speaker 4: Possibly?
Speaker 5: But yes, and advice columnists are I'm sure no different, certainly there if you want, I bet there are some alt right podcast advice columns out there as well.
Speaker 3: I myself have not stumbled across them yet.
Speaker 2: You know, the thing that needs to be like distributed more than even money, I feel, is self doubt. We just need If we had an evening distribution of self doubt in the world, it would be everything so much better.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, there's this, there's this absolutely there's this thing that I love from the Talmud, which is, you know, collection of Jewish teachings and wisdom and what rabbis said about what other rabbis said, and there's this one thing in it where a rabbi says, I have a piece of paper in my pocket that says this world was created for you. And I have a piece of paper in my other pocket that says you are nothing but ash and dust, and so this world was created for you. You're nothing but ash and dust. Those are both true, valuable things to remember, Like if your head gets too big, remember you're also in the grandest scheme of the universe. You're You're not the center of it. You're not everything. There are other people, there are other beings, Like there is a whole world, you know, in infinity of universe that you were not a part of until you were born and won't be a part of for another billions of years.
Speaker 4: You are.
Speaker 3: If you think you're everything, maybe consider that you might be also a little bit closer to nothing.
Speaker 5: Whereas if you grow up and have the messages given you you are nothing. You are not worthwhile to be like, well, this world was created for you. You are the center of your own conscious experience. You deserve to be heard if you like you know. I don't mean to not to make this only about gender, but certainly people in our society, socialized as women, girls, female people in our society. You know, the the the ideas like, oh, you know, you're you're rewarded for being quiet, for acquiescing, for going along, for listening, for not taking up too much space, whereas you know, little boys and men and boys to men of.
Speaker 3: Course are our talk. Yes exactly, not boys to men.
Speaker 5: But you know, the especially and it's not only I'm sure it's every privileged group.
Speaker 3: It's not just men. It's also white people.
Speaker 5: It's also straight people, it's also able bodied people, it's also cisgender people. You know, when you are the majority or the salient appearance in society, like for myself, I am many of those things. You know, I am straight, cis, white, able bodied, you know, an American citizen from birth. You know, I have many privileges that I wasn't aware of until I started learning about them. And so for me, I was given growing up by my family and society. The thumb really pressed down hard on the side of the scale that said this world was created for you. And so when I started doing comedy and being an adult and meeting different people and who had different perspectives, I was like, oh, listening to other people also valuable for its own sake to have other people be heard and also learn more myself about experiences that are not my own. And so yeah, if you have started your life somewhere, or if you're at a point in your life where you are like not heard as much, then it feels it's important for you to learn to hopefully advocate for yourself and speak up and find people who affirm you and value you and support and endorse and celebrate. But for you know, for I'm a man, and there's a lot of us out there who could stand to learn the lesson. And not again, not just men and not all men, but yeah, the the So, if you've never self doubted, consider self doubt.
Speaker 4: Try it, try it, try it. You'll like it.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's super Bowl commercial for self doubt. Got Jesus one from the past two years. What about maybe some self doubt. Let's let's take a quick break, we'll come back, we'll do your overrate and get into some news.
Speaker 4: And we're back and.
Speaker 3: Mike, we do like task our guests, what's something you think is overrated?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so, I guess my shortest answer could be sports. But that's I understand there are many beautiful stories and families and friendships and connections people have to it just personally, that's not where my I, you know, understanding and connection to you know, to society and humanity live absolutely. But I'll also say, sort of as a combo overrated underrated, I would say overrated is comedy that other people like. Underrated is comedy that you yourself like, like truly, that is what I say with respect, like whoever it is, whoever that because and here's the thing. It's not to say that there's some really popular comedians who are great and I love, and yet they're even at a certain point like that, probably you don't stop when you're rated exactly the right amount. Like you know, if if Kevin Hart's your guy, like maybe you love seeing him in every commercial, you know, but maybe you don't. And if if Kevin Hart's not your guy, if you're like, oh, you know, if Joe Firestones your your favorite comedian, or Nick vaderat or Baron Vaughn or James a castor you know, there's so many medians who certainly my mom has not heard of yet, and your mom may not have heard of yet. And so there's I would say that's another I guess underrated. I guess I guess what I'm saying is overrated is talking about what's overrated. I'd rather talk about what's underrated. You know, Yeah, so talking about the underdogs.
Speaker 3: But I do think that's a good that's a good point. Like I was just talking to somebody who was like, I really like, you know, I think you should leave and the chair company and they were like, yeah, I've been like trying to get into I think you should leave, and like I just it never worked.
Speaker 4: Like I watched every episode. I was like, why did you do that?
Speaker 3: It's clearly it's like I was that show the very first skit, I was like had tears pouring down my face laughing, and the people I was on a plane with like thought there was something wrong with me, and like that's so just like find that for yourself, like if it's not happening, don't try and like it's not that like somebody else is like you know, right, and you just need to like work to get yourself. That is just like there's something wrong with me. That's not wrong with you or you know what I mean or right o me? But you know, like that is just like that shape.
Speaker 5: If I may, my girlfriend RENI, who is that. We have a lot in common. You know, we're not the exact same person, but we have similar taste in a lot of things, like a lot of comedians that I love, she loves, and vice versa. We're not the exact same but I watched I Think you Should Leave before she did, and I was going to share it with her, and like the first episode, we turned off because she was like too chaotic, like I can't write, I don't understand, this is not a flavor that I need or want. But then I shared Detroiters with her, and Detroitters she loved, and by the end of watching all of Detroit Ter's she was like, I think I have a greater understanding, a greater context for like what is going on with Tim Robinson's comedy and brain. And then we did She's like I think I can I get it now, and we started watching I Think You Should Leave, and with that context, with that framing, she loved it and loves it and we saw friendship and we love the Chair Company. So yeah, he is now basically invented a new flavor that like when like when a baby tries something a new food for the first time, it's always like yeah and then yeah, you know, like when when it's something is unknown, when something is mysterious, it often can be frightening or weird or we don't get it. But then once you're like, it doesn't mean that you don't like it, like it just means you might need the Like when Stephen Sondheim wrote the musical A Funny Thing Happens on the Way to the Forum. When it first came out, it bombed and nobody. Apparently people didn't get that it was a comedy, so he went back and wrote a new opening number called Comedy Tonight, which.
Speaker 3: Basically delivered the message is idle yeah ad a sing up front.
Speaker 5: Maybe the original title was a thing happened on the way to the Forum, you know, because like what, who knows what kind of thing the forum?
Speaker 3: Ancient realm or Greece or wherever. Boring couldn't become.
Speaker 5: But truly having the framing of it being comedy led people to get it. So having the right framing for I think you should leave led rene to discover it. So I'm not saying that whoever this person is like absolutely like I wouldn't recommend I think you should leave to everyone, but as a gateway, do try to.
Speaker 3: If you like.
Speaker 5: Detroit Ters, try Detroiters, which I think is really warm and sweet. And if you then enjoy the weirdness of Detroiters, then try to dip your toe in. I think maybe you shouldn't leave. Yeah, maybe that's a that's a better rampant.
Speaker 2: I was going to say the sort of opposite thing to Jack's friend, which is that, like, I feel like so many people get the advice like, oh, you got to give it like a bunch of episodes or whatever. Yeah, I actually think it's fine to just tap out it.
Speaker 3: There's just so much good comedy, comedy, yeah, everything.
Speaker 5: I have a friend who never got into Breaking Bad, like I think Breaking Bad is. I mean, it's I watched it myself, I watched it with friends. I watched it with Renie, you know, we watched Better Calls Salt, Like it's amazing art, like, it's funny, it's dramatic, it's it's really weird and cool and great. And also I have a friend who's like I watched the first episode or two, ah, not for me, And and I think I said or somebody else said. They're like, oh, you got to give it like, you know, six or seven episodes, and he's like, I gotta give it like three movies worth of time before I can decide that this isn't for me.
Speaker 3: And so I think that's completely valid.
Speaker 5: Like there obviously are things that take time to like get the tone or get you know, get into the vibe. Like every work, every great work of art, many of them teach you how to experience them. Like if you've never read Dickens or you've never you know, Moby dick is weird, you know, but if you get like truly yeah, any yeah, Moby Dickens, you know, anything like that. And I say this not as somebody. I have not read all of Moby Dick. I have read some Dickens. RENI, my wonderful partner, has read like she started a project like seven years ago to read all of like the agreed upon great the works of classic literature. Start she started with Moby dick. She then went on to Anna Karinna and a bunch of Dickens, and like then, I I had just had a memory of it being like.
Speaker 3: In school going uh, no, thank you homework.
Speaker 5: I don't think so, but like if you don't have to read it, like actually, you know, there's some funny dickens out there and it's like just but it's a different thing, and so like every but yeah, I guess the main message is try something.
Speaker 3: If it's not for you, that's cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm at the age where I kind of every like every so often I'm like, I would really like to take a literature class, like a college literature class now, and I would do all of the work this time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I graduated with a philosophy degree, and as I was like trading in my philosophy books like after graduating, I was like, man, there's like I could just like read the stuff that I always wanted to read, and it became like so much more interesting to me, just like outside of the context of homework.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're turning in those bodies and you're like, oh, man, I could have just been looking at a tree this whole time.
Speaker 4: Stack him up.
Speaker 3: You ever tried that?
Speaker 1: All?
Speaker 3: Right, we should get into some stories.
Speaker 4: This is just more so.
Speaker 3: We talked on yesterday's episode about the guy conducting the National Orchestra who is like just a Trump appointee who is trying to be I think Secretary of State, and then they like put him in charge of the Kennedy Center and he like he just didn't make a wish thing where he like went up and conducted the like best musicians in America and like didn't know what he was doing. And I think just like had the assumption that he like this is not yeah, exactly like the thing that we all assumed when we first saw conductors when we were like four years old. A billionaire last year brought his way onto the USTA Tour to play professional tennis and get rinsed, and then also to a lesser degree, like Donald Trump, thinking he was going to get like a call un response level response from the NFL crowd when he went there, he was like repeat after me and did like a you know, swearing in oh thing with the crowd and was just like drown out by boost. So I just feel like there is a lack of awareness, a lack of just like connection to reality that is happening both with this administration and with the extremely wealthy. And then this morning, one of our best AKA writers and favorite guests, Christy Almgucci Mane, on Twitter, shared this video of Jeff Bezos entering a stadium through a laser tube that was like coming up out of the earth, flanked by lightsaber wielding guards with these like wrap around Is it Jordi from Star Trek or maybe yeah, Jordy wla forge sunglasses, staring straight forward and like doing like trained soldier movements. And he you know, rightly pointed out that like you couldn't right this level of even evil billionaire in a movie. Everybody would just be like what yeh right, it's really Zoolander, doctor evil coded shit.
Speaker 2: I mean, at the end of the day, these people are rich and evil and powerful, but like they can kill you, but they can't make you think they're cool, right, Like they can literally murder you and whatever, but for all of their power, they just can't. They can't make you think they're cool.
Speaker 5: And right, Like with the guy who paid money to get to quote unquote be a conductor, you know, do conductor cosplay, Like I can understand why the organization was, like we could really use that money to like make good art, which you know, a lot of comedians have been like on a sitcom that might not have been their favorite sitcom, but that you know, I don't I think Patton Oswalt is wonderful and he was on the King of Queens and he used that money to like fund the comedians of Comedy Tour that launched the careers of like zach Alafanakis and Brian Vamford and Brian post Say. And so I think that, you know, if you for an arts organization to be like, yeah, like give a thank you, like obviously everybody gets it. Everybody's not like, wow, this guy is as good a conductor, like he's on our stage conducting, like you can do the thing. You can, you know, go through the motions, but it doesn't make you have the experience of like, you know, you can memorize words in another language, and doesn't mean that you are fluent in the language. You aren't able to communicate if you don't actually take the steps to do the work. And so yeah, I mean obviously anything I feel like I'm a fan of anything where money goes from the people who have too much to people who don't have enough or could use it better. I mean like Elon, you know, has so much money that he got he can go on stage with Dave Chappelle at a certain point and and it but it doesn't mean that people will like the things that he's saying.
Speaker 4: He can't it doesn't make him good at stand.
Speaker 3: Up, like it's it's fast, it's fascinating, like something else makes him at stand up. I guess because he.
Speaker 5: Brought that sink into his workplace, right, I know, I know, ye the dollars.
Speaker 2: Letting you actualize your shitty ideas is the hardest thing for them, so that they can do it, But that doesn't make it good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're so in their own world too, like they're just in like they haven't taken a breath outside of the biosphere of like yes men and people who work for them that they exist inside and so like at least with an artist there they have to be in touch with their audience. But these people are just like so far off on another planet that we're getting a really accurate snapshot of just like what they think is cool, like with any input from the outside world. And it's really sad.
Speaker 5: It's really sad, feel I feel, you know, I hope that everyone discovers the truth you know and is able to you know, grow and change and learn. But here's like an analogy that I think goes along with what you're saying. When I was in college, I had a friend who didn't like cream cheese. She's like, anything with cream cheese in it, I hate it. I like cream cheese. And then one day, where as like part of her personality, one day we're at lunch and she's eating a carrot cake and it has cream cheese frosting, and I say, hey, just remind me you don't like cream cheese, and she says yes. I was like, and are you enjoying the cake? And she says I am, And I say, what do you know that that's actually cream cheese frosting that you're eating. And then instead of saying like, oh, then I guess there's some situations where I do like, she just pushes it away from her and says, then I guess I don't like it.
Speaker 3: I was about what I like.
Speaker 5: And I think that's what's happening with like you said, the a lot of you know, rich, powerful, monetarily people spend time surrounding themselves with yes people, many yes men, and and yeah.
Speaker 3: A lot of yes.
Speaker 5: And the fact is that they could love like an artist, they could love a comedian, they could love someone. But if they love someone who can't be bought, and they say I love this person. And then if that person says, actually, you know, like Bruce Springsteen saying like, don't use my songs, or like any other artists being like, you know, you want to use their art because you love their art for whatever reason. And then when they speak out and say, actually, I'm not a fan of what you're doing in these ways for these reasons, then they're like, well, then I guess I don't like it.
Speaker 4: Actually I was wrong about it.
Speaker 5: When I mean, the way to grow and connect with other people is to like truly.
Speaker 4: I mean, I admit this.
Speaker 5: I I know that I am. I don't know everything. I know that I don't everything, and I won't hear it hardly. I can almost not admit it.
Speaker 4: I don't admit that.
Speaker 5: I do a bit on stage sometimes now where I ask an audience a member to ask me if I know something that I couldn't know about their life or their job or where they live or anything. And so if they say, like one guy, he was a forensic pathologist, and so he said to me, do you know how to identify the time of death when a body is dead? And I said, probably, because that's what I say at that, I'm like, it's a thing that can be known.
Speaker 3: I probably know it.
Speaker 4: But there's people like so I think everyone.
Speaker 5: You know, the wisest people, your Socrates, is, you're Confucius is they like they're famous for saying I know what I don't know, or I know that I don't know. I don't even know what they said, but I know that they said. They admit when they don't know things that it's it's it's a wise powerful strength to admit when you don't know something you can grow to. You can only learn something if you didn't know it. So if you're closed off to information or ideas that are different than the ones you already think, like, that's the it's weirdly like the it's the dumbest to think that you're the smartest is the dumbest.
Speaker 3: Ye, Yes, exactly. I also want to get to Elon Musk, who got called out by Joyce Carol Oates on Twitter and then spent like seventy two hours trying to prove that he is a human with human feelings and like taste in film. So original post was so curious that such a wealthy man never posts anything that indicates that he enjoys or is even aware of what virtually everyone appreciates scenes from nature, pet dogger, cat, praise for a movie, music, a book, but doubt that he reads pride in a friends or relatives, accomplishment condolences for someone who has died, pleasure in sports, acclaim for a favorite team, references to history. In fact, he seems totally uneducated, uncultured. The poorest persons on Twitter may have access to more beauty and meaning in life than the quote most wealthy person in the world. And he, you know, called her like mean Oats is a liar and delights in being mean, not a good human. But his clap back, but then he spent the rest of the day talking about like movies he likes, so clearly he was and the movies were like Man on Fire is great. Fifth Element has great style.
Speaker 5: Oh, I mean Fifth Element does have great style.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's so interesting. I heard this thing.
Speaker 5: I feel like this might have been Confucius, but it was like, it's not something to paraphrase. It's like, it's not good to try to be liked by everyone, because you won't be liked by everyone. It's good to try and be like liked or respected by people whose opinions are of value to you, you know, like if you like as a you know, obviously as a comedian, like audiences are one metric of how good a comedian is, like how much people, but people can make people laugh with stolen jokes or older, unoriginal jokes. Uh, And like I think the best comedians are the ones. I mean, my favorite comedians are my favorite comedians. But if you ask, you know me, my favorite comedians, like I'll name people like Maria Bamford, and if you ask Stephen Colbert, he'll also name her, and so many of your favorite comedian whoever, your favorite comedian is, like who are their favorite comedians and who are their favorite comedians? Eventually you'll get you know, You'll you'll get a lot of Davitel's, You'll get a lot of Hedberg's. You'll get a lot of Reggie Watts's. You know you'll get you'll get a lot of really great like agreed upon you know, kind of like not the popular vote and not even the electoral college, but sort of just like the the inn group, the experts opinions and so in like the way to live life, Like I have a friend who This is an experience she had where she was working at a college while she was getting her degree, and so she was working an administrative job and she had dreams of like, you know, she's an artist, she's a poet, she's a comedian, she's a performer. She's like maybe thinking about opening a cafe that's also a performance space and you know, getting to be like an artist collective. And she was talking with a fellow worker who's on you know, her level, and the worker was like, you know what you should do? And I think my friend is a kind person and didn't say this to her face, but said to me, She's like, I don't want advice from people who are where I am. I want advice from people who are where I want to be. And so like for for a person to like who, who's whose reverence do you want?
Speaker 3: If you want reverence, like who's approval? Whose appreciation?
Speaker 5: Like I love meeting another comedian, and I mean even like yourself, Andrew, Like we've been we've known each other on social media at least for many years, you know, and I be when because I think I saw you because some of my friends were either on your podcast or were interacting with you or had retweeted you or you had shared them, and I was like, oh, my friend likes this person. Let me have I'm not gonna just like this person because my friend likes this person, but I'm gonna use that as a que to look at your stuff and be like, oh, now I from the inside also like this person.
Speaker 3: I like this person's work. I like what they're doing, and like now I'm like, oh, and you also now know me and know what I do and like what I do. That's cool, And that's not what's happening for Joyce, Carol Oates and Elon. He wants to be liked by everyone is essentially like it does feel like he.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's like the speed running Citizen Kane in public, which is I guess what Twitter has done to people. But it's just like how bereft of any like joy.
Speaker 3: I mean, he he made that prompt like the day that she said that, he made a prompt in with using rock the image AI generator with there was just a woman that said with the words I will always love you underneath it. It is just like.
Speaker 2: Dark dark, not even the best use of the words I will always love you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what's wrong with man I as a as a comedian, like, when you start out doing comedy for those that don't know, you do a lot of open mics, and you get a lot of silence. You know, you get a lot of there's a lot of a big learning curve, and you know, for some it takes you know, some people are great out the gate, but it's much more common to not be great out the gate, and you spend months and years of you know, honing and editing and listening back to sets, and you know, theoretically quote unquote failing in public and eventually discovering like what you enjoy that other people enjoy, what makes you laugh that make other people laugh. And I feel like that is like what Elon is trying to do, is what the equivalent of an open my comedian is trying to do, just throwing everything at the wall to see what my is this what everyone will like?
Speaker 3: Is this what everyone will like? Is this what everyone will like?
Speaker 5: And as a new comedian in my twenties, I was like, I don't know what people like. I don't know, like, I know what I think is fun and good and interesting, but there's a lot of stuff I think I've written for every joke that I continue to tell on stage because it works. There are I can't even tell you, probably thousands tens of that, however, many thousands of jokes that I have tried to write that maybe I could make work today if I put in enough time. But it's just in the beginning. It's a numbers game. It's quantity, and eventually you settle into like, oh, this is what I want to talk about. This is like what I care about, this is what's meaningful to me, this is what I'm gonna spend my time on. But it seems like and there a lot of people when you're when you're new, want a short cut, and there's the There is no shortcut. There is only putting time and work and effort into it and not just paying to be on stage with the conductor of comedy.
Speaker 2: Elon is a like I opened my Communitian who bombed one time and then bought every comedy club and also every performance venue on Earth in response.
Speaker 3: And then is trying to do the open mic winnowing honing process into a galaxy of sycophants who are just like It's import for him.
Speaker 2: The problem is he gets enough feedback that he likes it, but humanity still can easily see he is not funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, anybody who's not coming in just being like, I want this guy to like me. Maybe he'll make me rich too. Yeah, we've own the libs.
Speaker 4: That's true. That's how you do that. He did that.
Speaker 3: We should take a quick break. I want to talk about Target forcing employees to smile, and we'll be right back. And we're back, and there's a there's a new program at Target called the ten to four Program Good Buddy, which follows similarly creepy rules enacted by Walmart and Disney. So store employees are now required to smile if they are within ten feet of a shopper. They also must make eye contact with a wave to or greet the customer if they're within four feet. The employee should ask how the customer's day is going or if they need help. And this is first of all. They should like pay their employees a little wait, that would be one thing, or pay them for all the time they're working. Target warehouse workers had to take legal action to actually get paid for the thirty minutes it takes them to walk from the entrance to their workstation. Yeah, Target is bad at this, but I do just find this this interesting. Like I've definitely been to Trader Joe's and had the experience of like being lost in thought and somebody like the checkout person starting a mandatory small talk conversation with me and like being kind of thrown and feeling a little weird and alienated by it. But I just think it's an interesting like the it's a thing that if people came down or like outside of history, if people from other eras were able to look in, I think it would be one of the things that everyone thought was weird about our culture, is like like because there's I remember there was an either Radio Lab or This American Life episode from the early days of podcasting where they talked about the phenomenon of when they first opened the McDonald's in Russia after the wall fell, and everyone was like the people who worked there were just like what the fuck do you mean smile at them? Like what, like what are you talking about? And they had like the hardest time getting them to do it, and ultimately like gave up on it. There's also something called smile mask syndrome, which was diagnosed in Japanese young women who like work in the service industry where they have to like smile so much that like this psychologist was like they were still smiling while relating like really stressful or troubling experiences, which I think is like the movie, the horror movie Smile, but and like it's again they're like this came because of Tokyo Disneyland, which opened in nineteen eighty three, and then throughout the eighties they found this thing of like the obligatory smile in the workplace, creating this sort of psychological or like existential weirdness that people have a hard time dealing with.
Speaker 5: Do you know I co sign everything you're saying, And I obviously like capitalism is this is a feature of it, you know, not a bug. This is it's a it's a trap and it's unfortunate and would be better if you know, people all could be more self directed in how they want to live their life and not need to be behold into these massive corporations. Like my girlfriend used to work at a you know, a big department store in the fine jewelry department, and you know, like there were times when if you didn't like some people, if you didn't sell as much as others in one month, Like if a couple months in a row, your job was potentially at risk. But there were times when if she sold enough in like the beginning of the month, then the rest of the month she could relax and.
Speaker 3: She would actually sell.
Speaker 5: She would be a better employee then because she was relaxed and not you know, constantly masking and constantly you know, on her toes to be like I gotta do this. I got because it's ultimately, I would say, at best, it's I mean, it's like acting, you know, like you get a job as an actor, like well, in this scene, maybe smile because the character is happy, you know, And maybe a director could be you know, as you know, difficult to deal with if it's a difficult director. But I ideally, if you're making art, it's gonna be. But here's the I don't want to I don't know that I even believe what I'm about to say, but I want to present this as as an option. I do think that there's like this the guys of familial you know, happenstance in workplaces like we're a family here, you know, like hey, which they use like it's not a family. It's your job that you agree to do something and they agree to give you money, and like, hopefully you get along with your coworkers, you get hopefully your boss is a kind human being. Hopefully, But they sometimes use that to say like, hey, maybe put in some extra time because we're all a family here.
Speaker 3: You don't just back out on your family.
Speaker 4: But so with it.
Speaker 5: In opposition to that, I feel like there is something nice about saying the quiet part out loud, or saying it saying it explicitly to be like, look, we're paying you to be the face of this company, which involves like, here's definitive directives, like as opposed to just being like hey, when people are around, try to be cool. Try to make it seem like there have to be like, look, we're hiring you to smile when you're at this particular trajectory at this juncture. Hey, you're eleven feet I love that if you're eleven feet away from people.
Speaker 3: Flow nuts with your face, you know, just like shut it down, like, don't give them a line that will not come within ten feet of you.
Speaker 4: Just just sort of shuffle away as they get closer.
Speaker 3: Right, Oh yeah, so you're running a zone defense in basketball, you're like trying to stay in between people.
Speaker 5: That's like there's I think this is somebody's joke. It might be the comedian Tony v in Boston, who's an incredible comedian. I know he has some jokes about scientists who study dolphins, and so this might be from his bit, or it might just be a fact that I learned somewhere along the way or somebody else's bit, but that some dolphin was trained to like get litter out of its enclosure. Like if there was like pieces of paper or debris, it would pick them up and then you would it would get fish, you know, get food for each piece of paper that it delivered each piece of trash. So dolphins, I don't you know, they're smart. So dolphins would then start, after they realized the system ripping trash in half, they would start ripping the pieces of paper and being like two pieces of fish, please, Like I got you two garbages, so give me two foods.
Speaker 3: And so I feel like that.
Speaker 5: Also, I wonder how how Target employees are going to gamify it. They're like, where's the ten foot mark? Like nothing in the rule book that says I have to move into the zone.
Speaker 2: This is a big corporate game of I'm not touching you, They're just fucking running. I mean obviously, like this is just poor even if you want to just be shackled with the strictures of capitalism, this is just poor management. Like you shouldn't need to define this if everything else was being managed correctly. But I do think this this has like a really nice letter of the law, not spirit of the law, opportunity for some enterprising Target employees.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, it's you want to address the not this is addressing the symptoms, like the external like, hey, your face isn't doing what we wanted to do.
Speaker 3: What do we do to make your face smile?
Speaker 4: Order you to smile?
Speaker 3: Yeah right, yeah, superducer cat there and asks if they're trying to combat the gen Z stare, which I think, oh, yeah, the thing but that is a big news story. We were like gen Z look at us, like they don't know what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is this is this is all I'm reading here is this is a nationwide fakest smile contest for all Target employees.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's just most unnerving smile. Can I help you? They should just hire everyone to wear a mask. That is the target bullseye over their face. You know, Oh my god, that's kind of like a smile at the bottom.
Speaker 4: I would love that, honestly.
Speaker 3: I do personally just feel like like set on edge, like anytime someone is starting an interaction with me, Like I feel like you can tell the difference when it's like enforced and when it's not. And usually any sort of forced social exchange is like you know, someone trying to con you or sell you something or something like that. So I just like have an immediate like detection of like, yeah, you get away from it.
Speaker 2: But also target management, you know, maybe you could also just not loudly trumpet how you don't support de I or you know, like not lock up all your here, all your remotely valuable things. Maybe that's why people don't like shopping at targeting or not not the lack of fake smiles from children of the corn.
Speaker 3: What do people like friends? We're going to be their friends. That's yeah, Mike, such a pleasure having you on the daily Zeicheist. Where can people find you? Follow you, catch your new special all that good stuff?
Speaker 5: Yes, of course, So Mike Kaplan is my name spelled this weird way? M Y q K A P l A N. That's my you know, at Mike Kaplan on all the social media at Mike Kaplan dot com. I have a newsletter at Substacks that's Mike Kaplan dot substack dot com.
Speaker 3: Uh. I've got podcasts on my own. You mentioned them, Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I've got a bunch of comedy albums and specials out there on the various streaming platforms, the latest of which does come to YouTube New York City time eight pm on November nineteenth and accordingly the rest of the world. So that'll be on my YouTube collaborating with the producers Blonde Medicine, so like and subscribe their YouTube channel and my Mike Kaplan YouTube channel, and I'll be in there interacting with people for the debut.
Speaker 3: So if you can watch it at exactly the time that it comes out, that will help the robots tell other people about it. So yeah, but if you remember anything, I appreciate it. And it's the new special is called Renie name for my girlfriend Reni, with whom I created the special Reenie Reni on YouTube November nineteenth. Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 4: Love the name Reeni.
Speaker 3: By the way, I have an aunt Rene. Is it short for anything? Your aunt Reenie Mareen?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Nice? Is your partner's name short, It's short for Catherine Katherine.
Speaker 5: As a child, so many mom called directions Reenie Catherine, So yeah, that's Reenie's.
Speaker 3: Are not a monolith? Is there a work of media that you've been enjoying? Many?
Speaker 5: And I will say, you know, I we watch. We've already mentioned many of them, obviously, the new Tim Robinson works and the Nathan Fielder the second season.
Speaker 3: Of The.
Speaker 5: We Might we might be one behind. I just realized. So that's exciting to think about. But I will say one piece of media that I've been really loving. I don't know if you guys read comic books, but the DC Universe has a new, uh, a new universe of comics that they call, uh, the Absolute Universe, the Absolute d C. They've like begun again. You know, your classic heroes you're like, but with a slight tweak to their their origin story, like Superman comes to Earth as a teenager instead of a baby, Batman only as one parent die, and Wonder Woman gets raised not on the Amazon Island but by Circe in the underworld. The realm of Hades, and so that's the one. They're all really great. I really like Jason Aaron is an incredible writer who's writing the Superman one, the Batman one.
Speaker 6: He's also not rich, right, isn't that one of that That's correct? He is he is so much he is not rich. It's really there's so many distinctions. It's really cool. Like the art is incredible, the writing is incredible. The of those three, like, I love them all, but the wonder Woman one is really it's the art is so beautiful and she's such a wonderful, pure character. I'll just share here's one interaction she has it that I think is like, you know, not representative of the entire story. Like the entire story is like gigantic and beautiful in many ways. But she's talking to Steve Trevor.
Speaker 5: I believe Steve, like you know, the main in the original story, he like washes up on the island and she like helps him and protects him and becomes you know, friends with him, lovers with him, and he's like a good a good man from the real world, the one good man from the world outside of her island. But so in this one, she meets him and they're about the same height. And he's like, wow, you're really tall and she's like, you're the same height as me. And he's like, oh yes, but where I come from, I'm really tall, and women where I come from like almost no one is as tall as uh as me or you. And she says is that important? And he's like, uh, I guess not. And she's like, great, will you tell me more things about where you come from that are important? As like what an incredible? Like you know, it's funny, it's like pure hearted, it's compassionate, it's about, you know, commenting on women's bodies, commenting on people's appearances in a way that like it's so simple and effective and funny and cool and beautiful. So yeah, I would recommend of My piece of media that I've been really enjoying is Absolute wonder Woman by I believe the author Kelly Thompson.
Speaker 3: Nice, Nice Andrew. Where can people find You? Is their working media you've been enjoying?
Speaker 4: Oh god, Andrew t everywhere.
Speaker 2: I have a new podcast called starter Trek that is a premium podcast on you can get it on suboptimal pods dot com, which is.
Speaker 4: Our yos is racist thing doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: But yeah, my podcast co host Tany Newsome Trek Royalty, and she's basically walking me through. We're doing all the pilots for the Star Trek episodes right now.
Speaker 4: I don't know. You can see clips on our social media. I'm really happy. It's really fun to do. I like Star Trek, but I don't know jack shit about it. That's where I am. There you go.
Speaker 3: Sounds great.
Speaker 4: Oh and piece of media.
Speaker 2: Piece of media is it's per Simon season in Los Angeles and I'm eating the shit out of the per Simmons are so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go. Some of my favorite media. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien on Blue Sky at Jack o b the Number One. I enjoyed a tweet from Respectful huff that said comedians and cars eating cars. They have to eat the cars. They have to eat their way out all capitalize. That's the name of the show. So that's that's a work of media that doesn't exist. Great tweet, I tell you one damn thing. I'd be enjoying it if that did. You can find us on Twitter and Blue Sky at Daily Zeitgeist. We're at d Daily Zeigeist on Instagram. You can go to the description of this episode wherever you're listening to it, and they're at the bottom you will find the footnotes, which where we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode. We also link off to a song that we think you might enjoy. With Miles out, we usually ask super producer Justin Connor, is there a song that you think the people might enjoy.
Speaker 7: Yeah. This song is called Sunset Canyon by Fox Warren, and it's really fun to listen to because in my view, there's two ways I've seen a steel guitar applied to music, and it can either add like a rough stick feeling to a song or a relaxing, vintage surfer vibe, and this manages to do both in my opinion. If someone lives in like a seaside log cabin, this is the song for you. It's a nice, chilled out mood for a sunny autumn afternoon. For anyone else who doesn't have a seaside log cabin. But this song is called Sunset Canyon by Fox Warren, and you can find that song in the footnotes footnotes.
Speaker 3: The Daily Eszite Guys is a production of by Heart Radio. For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, visit Yeah Heart Radio, Wrap, Apple Podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's gonna do it for us this morning. We are back this afternoon to tell you what is trending, and we will talk to you all then.
Speaker 1: By The Daily Zeit Guys is executive produced by Catherine Long.
Speaker 4: Co produced by Bee Wang, co produced by Victor Wright
Speaker 3: Co written by j M McNabb, edited and engineered by Justin Connor.