Speaker 1: Final hour in this Monday, I hope you had a great weekend. We'll talk to Gary Danielson, form an NFL quarterback. He was on the call for Army and Navy. Talk to him about a variety of things. What's coming up now should have been coming up before. And that's the transfer portal. That there is a player at Penn State backup quarterback who is not going to play in the playoff game with Penn State versus SMU. He's going to be transferring. I'm told that there is another player in the playoffs who might not be playing for his team because these other schools are saying, we want you to come to our school. We don't want you to risk getting injured because if you're at Penn State, they have a chance to run the table. Maybe you're playing in three games, and if we're going to take you, give you nil. We want you to come to our school and we want you to come down. So this should be easy. The biggest thing is let's fix it. Getting everybody thinking about the same thing on this topic, then it's fixed. You don't allow this to happen during the college football playoffs. But when you look at just how unstructured college football is right now trying to get you know, players, agents, coaches, everybody with the same timeline. That's going to be really difficult. Now here's another thing to factor in. This is not brought up. I don't know if you even care. I do the current environment, the number of players. So you have fbs FCS Division two, they enter the transfer portal. So when you do that, you give up your athletic aid. Then you got to find a place to go. So just because you get in the transfer portal doesn't mean somebody's going to take you. Well, a lot of these kids will leave school and they won't be able to go back. So we can talk about players who are wanted by somebody else nil getting money, but there's a lot of players who go in the transfer portal and nobody takes it and their college careers are over eight seven seven to three. D P Show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at tp show. By the way, today is the last day for guaranteed shipping for Danpatrick dot com. If you order Tailgate, Moonshine, if you order calendars, the flannels, anything that we have their T shirts. Today is the last day for guaranteed shipping. Want to make sure if you order something, you get it in time. Stat of the Day has always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. We'll get to more phone calls coming up. Poll question from our two, the results of that seat and what are we going to go with In the final hour.
Speaker 2: I'll update you on both poll quests. Okay, and I don't care, there's no rules. Let's say last hour we had up there underrated team I'd least like the uh face. In the playoffs right now, the Rams are leading that, followed by the Buccaneers Broncos. Unfortunately, Todd are in the last place that one, sorry, buddy. Also, who had the worst weekend? Army Detroit Lions or the Steelers right now the Lions running away with that one, followed by the or by Army Football and the Steelers in last place.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 1: They didn't have a terrible I didn't think the Steelers were going to win. I was surprised they were man handled that defense, certainly in the second half. That was extremely impressive. And Jalen Hurts. When Jalen Hurts plays like a top end quarterback, you're not going to beat him, but the issue is that he's you know, he's not consistent, and you're going to have one of those games. It's just same thing I worry about with Josh Allen and the Bills. If he has a average game, given that defense allowing teams to get thirty points or so, then you're going to be vulnerable. Now we haven't seen that. In the last three games, he has played lights out. He's played unbelievable to be your MVP. It's just you don't want to have one of those MVP seasons like we had with Lamar Jackson, where it's like, man, he was unbelievable, and then all of a sudden he's vulnerable and then they get bounced from the playoffs. All right, so pull question for the final hour seaton. This one's from the Toddler. But if you're a Bucks or Thunders fan and your team wins the NBA Cup, will you be will you be buying merch? I was curious to see if you're gonna go on you're obsessed with being sarcastic with the Cup.
Speaker 4: I just find it.
Speaker 5: Very contrived and I can't believe those who are into it. Great, but it just seems like the very how do we get people interested in the NBA and.
Speaker 1: It's not even Christmas time.
Speaker 5: Let's do this kind of thing with a playoff in a cup and give out a trophy. It just and people buy into that just because we're starved for entertainment.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it is. I'm just fascinated by it.
Speaker 5: And we'll call it the NBA Cup and you'll get this thing, which has nothing to do with winning the NBA Championship on any level.
Speaker 1: It's some mid season thing. And would you even.
Speaker 5: Buy a hat or a shirt or a flag or anything if you're Bucks or your thunder with to win this tomorrow night?
Speaker 6: Is my question.
Speaker 3: I think it's a fair question.
Speaker 5: Walk around with NBA Cup champions you'd really wear that T shirt?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: See, Okay, how about who had the best weekend? We haven't done that. Okay, we could do that one. Okay, Well, it's tough to say that anybody other than Dion Sanders he had a great weekend.
Speaker 1: I think Josh Allen had a great weekend. He did. He had his Heisman moment national TV, not a standalone game. You had the Eagles and Steelers at the same time, but still he was spectacular. Uh yeah, Dion might have a better day NFL Draft Night when Travis Hunter and Shudor Sanders go one two, that's pretty good. Yeah, yes, Paul, anybody else.
Speaker 7: I'll throw out Marcus Freeman of Notre Dame. He parlayed a air quote rumor about the Bears job into a big extension at Notre Dame without actually winning anything yet, no offense.
Speaker 4: They have not even wont one playoff game. He got a big extension and.
Speaker 1: That game is Friday against Indiana. Right, don't sleep on the schedule here. I don't know what the weather is going to be, like, Oh yes, Paly.
Speaker 7: Yeah, twenty nine and snow at kickoff predicted. Okay, that's South Bend weather.
Speaker 1: Well that's not going to that won't affect Indiana. I mean Indiana gets the same weather South Bend. I'm guessing they'll be acclimated to that. Something like SMU is gonna that they're going to Penn State.
Speaker 7: I did see a report that they called a snow corridor in South Bend that gets a lot of snow. Oh, I don't know if that's true that I like saying the phrase snow corridor.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's like, what are those bombs those on their snow those cyclone bombs or what are they called? That's like trying to cut from the ice creab truck.
Speaker 4: It's delious.
Speaker 1: A bomb cyclone, isn't that what it is? Yeah? Is that? Yeah? Okay? Bomb cycling? I had a cyclone bo Yes, Tom, you know it is gonna affect Indiana, Notre Dame being better than them? You want to bet on it? You really think indianaga? No, I'm just saying you're really cocky and sarcastic, and you know about the weather ended up winning and it's now we not they.
Speaker 5: Weather won't affect Indiana because Indiana gets cold, but Notre Dame being better will affect you.
Speaker 1: That I think it is to be pointed, it's just spread seven and a half. Yep, okay, seven and a half, not a Dame better wing. Yeah. Say that's a must win game. That is a that's most must win the game of the weekendout question. Yes, you gotta win that games.
Speaker 3: You got it.
Speaker 1: You get a contract extension, you're facing team in state. You gotta win most must win game of the weekend.
Speaker 4: If I'm a Notre Dame fan, I hate this game.
Speaker 1: Uh. Patrick Mahomes got banged up the fourth quarter. He talked about his injury. Yeah, I mean it's hard to say right now.
Speaker 8: I mean, obviously it's still adrenaline rolling, and usually it's kind of the day after and you kind of get a good, good sense of it. But I feel like I could have finished the game in different circumstances. But I thought a smart decision I think we talked about was to put Carson in and he's played a lot of football and he finished the game.
Speaker 1: Well, let me see if I could get some more comments from Patrick Mahomes on the ankle. Patrick the kind of went high low on me.
Speaker 4: He was, no, no, no, I'll be a fine.
Speaker 6: I'll be you know, I've been in worse situation that a big deal.
Speaker 4: We'll just fine.
Speaker 1: I want to play an excellity of coach Rita.
Speaker 5: Let me.
Speaker 1: Derek in Desmonet, Hey Derek.
Speaker 3: Hey Dan, thanks for taking my call. I got a best of the weekend for you, all right. Travis Hunter's smile just made my day and reminded me that the holidays merely upon us and I'm wondering Europe. I need the opinion of some slender models and a famous actor. Can someone learn how to smile? Because I'm going to be in family photos and I can't smile photos. That saves my life.
Speaker 1: Okay. Models know how to relax their face so when they smile, you see their teeth and their eyes are open. Whenever they take photos. They want to make sure your eyes are open when you smile. Unlike me, I get the squinty eyes when I'm smiling. So I'm the wrong person to ask when it comes to smiling. See you take good photographs.
Speaker 9: No, I'm the worst smiler ever, really the worst.
Speaker 2: If you asked me, like, hey, smile right now and you have to show your teeth up, nothing is more.
Speaker 9: Forced or it looks more uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: How about you, Marvin.
Speaker 10: No, every single picture I post on Instagram or any social media, I always caption it.
Speaker 1: I promise I'm happy here. Well, we put on a Christmas card and then we tried to get everybody in the picture, all the kids and you know, granddaughter, and I screw up every one of them. There were eight pictures to nine pictures taken. There's one where I'm pointing at the camp like I and my wife said, how do you how do you do that? I said, I it's it's a real you know, it's a it's a great quality that I have ruining pictures. Every pictures bad. My eyes are shot looking the wrong way. So if you get the Christmas card, then you'll see like, did a horrible job. Horrible and by now, yes.
Speaker 10: You have a picture around here, and I think you use it as a credential. You have your arms folded and you're to the side. Yeah, and it's very do you know who my dad is? I love that one very much.
Speaker 1: That's Zoolander. Yes, that's that's it with the big German and Dylan in the in the room where big German works directing the show. That's a that goes back to sports illustrating. When I took that one, that was a good year for me, Like my hair looked good, Like I really like that year. I don't know what year it was, but that one was blue steel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Seiden, there's this one picture from back in the day that our old bosses used to use on everything. They used to put it all over the by. Anytime they sent something out, they would use this one picture and it might be collectively of the five of us. When Andrew was here the worst picture of the five of us where it's like, wo, why is this the one that you keep using?
Speaker 1: And they hired a professional to take those photos. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that was the guy.
Speaker 2: He were like standing there, and after like maybe fifteen seconds of him taking pictures of me, he goes, so, do you do any other poses?
Speaker 3: Or is this it?
Speaker 1: I don't know that. Sorry, I'm not a model. I don't know what the hell do So do you do any other poses?
Speaker 3: Or is this it?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 7: Sometimes when my family is together, let's say Christmas or the holidays, I try to get candids where they're not looking like they're just opening a present or making dinner together. And as soon as I take the camera out and someone sees me, they turn and do the hard pose. I'm like, no, no, no, just relax. And then when you tell someone to relax, they don't relax whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm not good at taking pictures or somebody photographing me. No, not good at all. I look back when some of these like though you know your Wikipedia or something, they'll bring up these pictures go Damn, that's bad. That's a bad year, that's not good. But hey, that's why we have a face for radio. Yes, did your hair look good? There were they were like a three year window. No bad moss. Yeah, it's a bad shade of auburn. I think.
Speaker 4: Wasn't that a Tom Petty song?
Speaker 3: She Gotta fix You?
Speaker 1: No, we got I got it? Yeah, yeah it was just And these TVs are so good now I get if standard definition was your friend when you were when you were doing TV with standard definition, It's like, all right, now you can see everything, you can notice everything not.
Speaker 6: Good?
Speaker 1: Uh, Jesse in La, Hi jess, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 11: DP? Thanks for I call got the two best and one worst the best.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 11: Finally took your advice over the years. Took my retired naval dad over sixty years to an Army Navy game this weekend. And let me tell you that that is that is something special. If you don't leave that stadium more patriotically when you entered, something is something is wrong with you.
Speaker 3: That was awesome.
Speaker 11: So it really made his his weekend. And also I got a best with Travis Hunters. As much as I don't like beon and what he stands were and how he's done it. This guy you said it earlier This guy is a complete unicorn and he's going to be really good at the next level. And my worst also Travis Hunter, Dude, three words for you. Dump your girlfriend.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to say acknowledge the other Heisman candidates in the crowd. That's where I would have gone. You gotta you gotta just say something about them.
Speaker 6: That was it.
Speaker 1: That was He had a near perfect speech. But those guys are right in front of you. You spent two days with them and just acknowledge him. Then he didn't do it. When we come back, Mary Danielson on loan from CBS, he was on the call for Army Navy. Get his thoughts on a variety of things and more of your phone calls as well. Back after this.
Speaker 13: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 14: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 15: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 14: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 15: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's.
Speaker 1: Going on in the world.
Speaker 14: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 15: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something, right, So.
Speaker 1: Check us out.
Speaker 14: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Kovin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media. That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 1: Gary Danielson, CBS Sports Lead college football analyst. He was on the call with Brad Nessler Army Navy. I wanted to have you on biggest reason I wanted to tell you did a great job. Wow, it was a great, great call with you and Brad, you captured it, and I wanted to tell you that, well.
Speaker 6: That's really nute. We got a text not we Brad knows these guys better than I do. We got a text from coach Kishevski during the game saying how much he enjoyed and that we were capturing it. So your two great minds really think you liked on this one.
Speaker 1: You know, he probably didn't like the ending though, since he went to West Point.
Speaker 6: Hey, you know, there's a lot of pressure doing that game. I've done every major you know, rivalry game. There is Texas, Oklahoma, Auburn, Alabama, UCLA National Championship. You just want to do it right, you know, you know what I mean. I mean, I feel such great vibes about those players. They have to be full time students, full time you know, cadets, and then they got to play football on top of that. And the first time I did it, I was really nervous and I was doing it with Vern and I told Vern, man, Vern, I don't I don't know, you know, I just I don't not familiar with this. And we interviewed a player the first time I was there day and we went and visited and the first player we interviewed said, ah, guys, I love you. I grew up watching SEC football. We always watch SEC. Here's the only thing we asked, don't create us on a curve. Oh man, how cool is that?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 6: I mean the guys saying that because those guys love playing football.
Speaker 1: But trying to call a perfect game, it's like trying to play a perfect game. You can't, right.
Speaker 6: Oh, I messed up, there's no doubt. Yeah. I think when Hide and Wright scored, I think I called them Eric hiden Wright because Eric heiden You know, I just went with the I just flew it together. You know, I think brand got it right. I don't think I did. But yeah, I get nervous. I don't get nervous for anything. I never gotten nervous when I played. I don't get nervous for other games. Don't get nervous talking to important people, you know. But I want to give the game it's due. That's really what I what I try to do.
Speaker 1: And it's the one game. I think. It's a standalone game where the pictures are more important than anything that's said, because you're trying to capture what you don't need to capture. Because we get to see it with you.
Speaker 6: God, I had a big sign on my board, you know, my monitor. Don't talk too much because of what you just said. You know, our producer, Craig Silver has done it forever. You know, I think we've done now sixteen of these together. Steve Milton, our director, also directs, you know, the Masters Golf, and our crews out there with the march on the whole thing, I mean, all of them. I love doing this game, but it's a big commitment. You know, you've got president coming in. I interviewed President Obama and I have in the past interviewed President Elect Trump, and then he was in the booth next to us.
Speaker 3: So you can feel it.
Speaker 6: I mean you can feel it. And it looks like, you know, Dan, you can help on this.
Speaker 1: They might be losing this standalone part of this game, absolutely.
Speaker 13: I know.
Speaker 6: And that's why I was wanting to knock on the bulletproof glass next to Trump and say, hey, why don't you just pass the law. It seems like you can do this, that there can be no other game in the afternoon but this game Army Navy.
Speaker 1: That's a good idea. But you're right because of the extended playoffs. I think that they're going to encroach on Army and Navy. This might be the last weekend, the last year that it's a standalone game. Let me ask you about the other news on Saturday, Travis Hunter winning the Heisman. But if you're a GM or a coach, how are you using him in the NFL?
Speaker 6: I would use them the way they used dim back the way when he played, you know, I would use them on things that he does well. He seems to handle fifty to fifty balls really well. He plays defense well. I don't see why he can't in modern football play fifteen and snaps in the game at corner or covering the slot or more excuse me, I wanted to flip it, you know, play regular defense. I'd use him at corner and then play maybe ten twelve plays on offense when you need him in the red zone. He seems to be up for it. And I don't see why. First of all, more players can't do that if you use them smartly. And I think you know, his coach was the best at it back in the day.
Speaker 1: With the playoffs going on and the transfer portal coinciding with this, how did the grown ups not see that this could be a problem. Well, you saw I.
Speaker 6: Heard you talking to Russ Tucker, you know, with broke Travula. I don't quite understand the whole mechanics of why Bo has to leave the team, Why he can't handle the portal, tell the coach or team that wants them. You know, we don't know who it is. It might be IU, for all we know where he's going to go, right, it might be an important team down the line. I don't know why he can't stay on the team and say, coach, I would never quit on you, But I'm not saying he's quitting. I understand he's in it, but I don't know why he can't finish it out as the backup quarterback. I mean, I don't see why he can't finish this game. There's been plenty of pro players who finished out their season knowing that they were going to be free agents the next year. I don't see what the big deal is. Is it the fact that he has to sign an nil? Now I would look right at the coach and go, why would you want me? If I'm willing to leave the team I am on now? A team that can win the championship. You shouldn't want me if I want to do that. So I don't quite get it. I think to ask them you quarterback has decided he's going to be in the portal and he's playing it. Ohio statas seven guys in the portal that are playing in the game. I don't know why bo has to leave. And he's a good player, by the way, yeah, a very good player. But I don't know why he has to leave now. I'm sure if his parents were here or they could explain it, but I don't understand it.
Speaker 1: You bring up a great point. If if I'm transferring to your school and you want me to give up on my team who's in the playoffs and could win a couple of games, is that the kind of guy that you want on your team. But I was told, though, Gary, these coaches are saying, we don't want you to risk getting hurt.
Speaker 6: Too bad, too bad. You know, I get hurt, I get hurt. I mean I can get hurt in spring ball with you. I don't get it. That's I hope that that's the advice I'd be giving my son. But again, there's always more things. Remember early in the year we were talking about the UNLV quarterback, you know, quit on it, you know, and that was more complicated than the story that we were led to believe, you know. I mean his head coach at holy Cross came up and said he turned down half a million to go to UNLV and then, you know, so there's more pages all the time than we know. But I don't know. I love college football. It's funny. I got my pre new jersey in the back, you know, I don't my team didn't do so good this year. But I wasn't great in college. I never really caught it.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 6: I wasn't as disciplined as I was when I got in the NFL. I wasn't as disciplined when I had a family and I knew kids are on the way. I was much more dedicated, you know, to it. But I hope he doesn't regret this, because I've regretted the way I played. You know, I let a lot of my still feel like I let a lot of my teammates down at Purdue, and I regretted that my whole life.
Speaker 1: Give me the surprise this opening weekend of the college football playoffs, I think you had a.
Speaker 6: Shot against Notre Dame. I know they're good. You know I've seen I you are close. We saw Notre Dame against USC. This is not a great USC football team and that was not a great home field advantage. They played them pretty good, you know, an interception at the last end.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 6: I think SMU has a little bit of speed that might give Penn State some problems. What I don't like about it is I thought Boise State. I mean, the charm of the basketball tournament is the little guys play in the first round, This whole by thing of SMU and Boise State. Wouldn't you have loved to see Boise State make it? And their reward is they get a home game against Alabama on the blue turf in fifteen degree weather. Isn't that the way this thing should have been? Listen, I know the people that put this stuff together, they're great character people. But when it was put together, the PAC twelve was alive. This thing kind of got out of whack here. They'll fix it, you know, in arrears, but but it'll get better. It's way better than it was before. But I got a question for you. You're always good at throwings at me. If you're an IU fan, would you rather have a win over Notre Dame or IU basketball makes the finals in the NCAA Tournament this year?
Speaker 1: Well, knowing the state of Indiana, I would say making it to the nc DOUBLEA title game in basketball.
Speaker 6: I was kidding the IU fans when I did a radio show that until this year, the IU football fans were not even aware that there was an ESPN ranking show all year during the season until this year, and they said, oh my god, they do this every week. We didn't know that.
Speaker 1: So well, you could dine out on beating Notre Dame for a long long.
Speaker 6: Time, that's for sure. And they've got a good team. They're a really good team. They didn't you know, that was the big lights against Ohio State was a little bit different for them. But you know, I think they're going to play well in this football game.
Speaker 1: What if Ohio State loses?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I really I really think early in that game, when they got their quarterback nicked early in that game, I wonder if that affected their play calling because it just didn't make any sense to me running right into the teeth of the Michigan football team like that. And I don't know if Howard and I got tackled early. I just wondered if that threw off the way they played. I think they're going to be ready. I don't know if you've heard us late in the game. One of the things that Brad and I had talked about was at the end of the year of the flag planning. And I kind of take that flag planning two ways. You know. One, it's the coach's job to say this ain't happening. If we win, we're we're going to win with class. But if I was on the other side, if I was at State or and all right, you beat as parents square, but that doesn't mean you get to do that to our football feel. That's a whole new game. You get the w and you get the bragging rights, but you don't plant your flag in the middle of the field. And that's why we ended up our game talking about one thing we know about Army Navy. They're not worried about at the end of the game planning flags of their school because they respect the other side too much. The only flag they're going to plant is the flag of the United States of America. And I think that's what that game was all about.
Speaker 1: Best college player you ever saw.
Speaker 6: The most dominating player I saw early was Calvin Johnson. I saw him as first game as a true freshman, and I went, how does anybody ever stop this guy?
Speaker 1: I was like, it's impossible, and they're not even a passing offense at Georgia exactly.
Speaker 6: At Georgia Tech. And I think he made a diving catch early, although I will have to say Larry Fitzgerald was right there as a freshman too, but I just thought he was an amazing body type. And then I think his second catch, he was running full speed and he reached back with one hand and caught it, and I couldn't believe that as well. But I think those you know, i've heard you talking about the SEC not involved here. I think they might want to bring me back, Dan. I got there in two thousand and six, so the year before I got there in five, they didn't have anybody, and I leave this year they don't have anybody. And the nine of the eighteen years I was there, they had the Heisman Trophy winners. So they had a pretty good run with championships and Heisman guys. So I leave one year and all falls apart, you.
Speaker 13: Know, So.
Speaker 6: There was a run of them there. But I tell you one guy who dominated like I've never seen before with the team he had, Cam Newton. Yeah, I couldn't believe how he played in the SEC. And I don't think there was only one other player on that team that even played NFL football.
Speaker 1: Randy Moss stood out when oh I covered him too when I watched Marshall, and we hope Randy's on the on the road to recover. I just remember he caught a couple of passes over the middle and he was gone. And and you know, you can say, well he played at Marshall, but he still stood out. He was unique. And I still don't think we've ever had a wide receiver like Randy Moss in the NFL.
Speaker 6: That's pretty true. His top end speed, well you couldn't overthrow. They're just you couldn't do it, you know. So, I mean I covered a lot of good players, you know. I remember the days when Tom was Brady was playing at Michigan. He was so upset that you know, he was I'm the starter. I mean, his competitive instincts in his clutch play at Michigan, especially with the way he was being you know, rotated in there was something to see but man, and he had the chip on his shoulder, and seems like he's still has loved the way he competes. I mean, I've had a great run here, you know. I mean the first game I ever did was ty Dentmer beating the Miami number one Miami Hurricanes. I got to play with Bernie Cozar, you know, and that group of guys in Cleveland, played with Billy Simms with my running back, and now we've got the broadcast with Hall of Favors, Brent and Verne and now Nessler been pretty good for an undrafted free agent, that's for sure. O. J.
Speaker 1: Simpsons the first player I saw who was different when he was at USC. Like I, you know, I grew up an Ohio State fan, knew they were going to always lose when they went to the Rose Bowl, and to see Oj it was just him and Gail Sayers are the two guys. Jim Brown ran differently, but Gail Sayirs and OJ Simpson that ability to cut and glide. I'd never seen that before. Those were the first two guys that really hit me back in the late sixties.
Speaker 6: Tim great Ones, I'll tell you I was not aware by the way that in your Heisman criteria voting is taking a hit was one of the things because I can show you a lot of my taking hits over the years. Lawrence Taylor threw me back five yards out of play, you know, I mean it was he was incredible. He might have been the best player I ever played against, was Lawrence Taylor. So I was We actually had a tip. It's funny. I did a ratio show with Kirk Gibson and he said that they always knew that Dwight Gooden tipped his pitches and they still couldn't hit him. When Lawrence Taylor was going to rush or drop, we would shift our protection and couldn't block, you know. So it's those guys are special, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Again, pass it on to Brad when you talk to him. It was just wonderful. You guys did a great job.
Speaker 6: And yeah, it was wasn't just us. I mean we had seventy five people that work really hard, veteran people.
Speaker 1: And you can name all of them if you want to run down all seventy of them.
Speaker 11: You know, they.
Speaker 6: All will watch your show. And Dan, thanks for having me on. It's been great.
Speaker 1: Thank you, buddy. That's Gary Danielson, CBS Sports Lead College football Analyst, played at Purdue, played for the Lions and the Browns. He's been doing a long long time. It felt like we had him on during during Johnny Manziel's career. It was like every Monday, it'd be like, get Gary on. He just called Manziel because Manziel to you know, lead the sec and rushing as and also do what he did. Pretty remarkable. All right, let me take a break, last call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow.
Speaker 13: Right after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Gary Danielson, CBS Lead College Football Analyst, was talking about why can't you wait playing these playoff games and then transfer to your other's school. Well, the problem is these coaches aren't waiting. They're trying to fill up slots, that's all this is. So if you want to make the commitment, you got to go now. You can't go, hey, all transfer unless you're really a high end player, And chances are high end players aren't transferring because they're high end players. So it's almost like a limited time only it's like a Black Friday sale. Hey do you want to come here? You got to decide, Bob, and then you got to talk to your parents. That's the problem.
Speaker 6: And then.
Speaker 1: You got to trust them that that's still going to be there after you've played. And as Gary was pointing out, there's a lot of schools that are going to lose players that are in the transfer portal right now, or at least you can go in the portal. Maybe you're not going to get the offer you want, and then you pull your name back out. I think there was concerns that quinn Ewers would transfer. He wants to play another year. Well, imagine that news to arch Manning. Because if quinn Ewers comes back to Texas because he's not going to be a first round draft pick and I think wanting to play another year, Now, do you have to transfer? Would Steve sarksi and want to push you towards transferring because he wants to play arch Manning, yes, Pauline Ohio State.
Speaker 4: He played there a little bit before.
Speaker 1: When he did he did, I don't know they want him back.
Speaker 4: Well, someone's leaving Texas football.
Speaker 1: Well, McCord at Syracuse, was at Ohio State. I think he led the nation in the passing yards. Yeah, git over like four thousand yards or something. All right, James in Virginia, Hi, James, welcome back.
Speaker 16: Oh thank you forking my call brother. Happy Monday, DP there and that salute the commanders. Man on that note, sometimes it's better to be lucky than to be good.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 16: In these final three weeks of the NFL season, all across the board is just going to be exciting. I don't know how if there's ever been a year where the number one seed was up for grabs in both conferences this late in the year. I'll tell you what. I will take Oregon over Notre Dame in the college football playoffs. And I got a part of the faith bet. If anybody wanted watching the Milwaukee Bucks this weekend, I'm all in on the top, Todd. I'm taking the Bucks to go to the NBA Finals. They were left for dead early in the years, scrapping and calm the way.
Speaker 1: No, wait, this is this is this is more than the cup. This is He's got the Bucks going to the NBA Final.
Speaker 3: That's wild.
Speaker 1: I love the enthusiasm. Pie to the face Marvin, you're inching closer to your microphone. I mean okay, I mean all right, James, No, thank you, James. James paid off with a pie to the face bet a couple of years ago. It's when we found out what James looked like.
Speaker 10: Yes, Marvin, now this is the Bucks to go to the NBA Finals, right, Okay, Now I'm the Cup not the Cup fun because they're already in the Cup finals.
Speaker 1: All right, you guys love doing this writing tomorrow's headline. Today you have two Monday night games. You have Bears, Vikings, Falcons Raiders. You don't have to do both, you have to do one. Todd, I'll start with you.
Speaker 5: Well, you know I like to do two instead of one. Back to the Darius Rucker Hole and Notes concert. So I did one for each. For the Bears Viking game. Oh, Donald, we lost to the Bears. That's my Bears Vikings one and my Falcons Raiders one. Kirk goes limp. Dirty birds, whip out their pennis.
Speaker 1: The whipped out their pens.
Speaker 6: Dirty birds.
Speaker 9: That's dirty.
Speaker 1: Seatan uh.
Speaker 2: Donald Schwarzenegger terminates Bears. Take Donald, Donald Swartz and terminates Bears.
Speaker 1: I'm all in on that that's right, nailed it?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 1: Uh who is the the Vikings? No, it's who is Van ginkel On? Is he on the Dolphins or the Vikings?
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 1: The linebacker? He's had a couple of touchdown returns. Andrew Is that Andrew King? He's a Viking? Okay, he was a Dolphin. How about Pappy Van Ginkle? Drink up? Nailed Vikings win brand, Pappy van Winkle, Pappy van Ginkle, Marvin all.
Speaker 10: Right for the first game for the Vikings Bears, mister Jones and me Aaron dominates in Monday night matchup like Aaron Jones.
Speaker 1: Wow, that one's off. You got another one. Rock Hard Bowers kills the Falcons, Paul very sexual one, very very.
Speaker 4: Rock hard.
Speaker 7: Paul barely a pulse Chicago no shows versus Vikings. And then this is a Fritzy esque one, kissing your cousins. Falcons Raiders played to a time, Tys calling.
Speaker 3: For the tie, tie, well for the time.
Speaker 1: Calling for the tie, Andy and Orlando, Hi, Andy.
Speaker 12: Hey things for taking my call? Yeah a second time, long time. I just want to get my best and worst of the weekend. My best is the UC Bearcats beeding Xavier and the Skyline crossdown shootout and their stick jerseys and uh breaking over five over past five and my best slash worst is the Bengals winning a very ugly game against the Titans.
Speaker 1: Well, statistically, I don't think you've seen anything like that, those teams playing that poorly and that many penalties. How about this day in sports history.
Speaker 7: Paul, I'll just give you one. Nineteen seventy three, O. J. Simpson broke Jim Brown's single season rushing record in the NFL. Brown had eighteen sixty three Simpson pass it and finished with two thousand and three yards in fourteen games.
Speaker 1: On this date, in twenty thirteen, Jamis Winston wins the Heisman. Let's go around the room. What we learned on the program? Todd? I'm going to start with you. Did you learn anything I did?
Speaker 5: It is ridiculous that you have to let the opposing team know beforehand that you're about to try an onside kick.
Speaker 4: Come on, get rid of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they do?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 1: Setan what'd you learn?
Speaker 9: Russ Tucker not a fan of Bill going to UNC.
Speaker 1: No, he's not. Marvin Fritzy does not like trivia or the NBA Cup. Well, listen to the show half the time.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul Todd completely heard your trivia question.
Speaker 1: Todd, what did I learn?
Speaker 5: Gary Danielson says Calvin Johnson was the greatest college player of U saw wondering how anyone could have stopped him.
Speaker 1: Hottest rookie's, biggest superstars, the old time greats. The only place to collect them all. Panini Trading Cards Official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show for instant classics, autograph cards, memorabilia cards, rare inserts and more. Start at continue collection now Paniniamerica dot net. Off to a great start. Hope you enjoyed yourself. We'll be back tomorrow, Dan Patrick Show