Speaker 1: Welcome back all the smoke man. We're off to a good start on the run. Okay, we got a nice la run today. I want to welcome to the show man. Someone I got a chance to meet early on work, ethic Grinder. I had an eighteen year NBA career champion father my dog my smokeing, one of my smoking buddies, Homie Trevor reason Man, eighteen year NBA VET World champion. What does that mean to me?
Speaker 2: Mind me, that's it. Yeah, that's all. Just put in my work, you know, doing what I love to do. Made some great connections with people that I you know, I will always bald with forever. So you know, I got a lot out of the game. The game gave me a lot, and I'm appreciative for it.
Speaker 1: What's it like to these days? I mean, obviously, talk to us about your son first and foremost, and then we'll get back to what's isfe these days. You got a young son that's been really doing this thing and kind of making the name for yourself out here these basketball streets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, he's he's putting in the work for himself. Man. He gets up early and getting in the gym. He's in the weight room.
Speaker 2: You know he wants it, so just watching him go through it is kind of like looking back in time and seeing myself doing the same things that he's doing.
Speaker 1: Now, what's it like as a father though, because you know we both played. I got my boys a one year younger than your boys, and I chose to coach youd chose not to coach you. But you're there, very supportive walking them through the process. What's that like, Man, It's.
Speaker 2: It's like it's nerve wracking, but like, at the same time, it's fulfilling, but at the same time, sometimes I'll be wanting to strangle with Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean you were talking, we were talking in the green room about just the mental side of it, the mental toughness because our kids are going to have every opportunity because of you know, how hard we worked to get there. But that mental side, to me and we were talking about is the biggest deal with athletes kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you come up different than a lot of times than how we came up. So the privilege is different. His privilege is a little bit different. So in order for him to be able to actually make it, he gotta love it himself. And that's what I'm seeing from him, So like the grinding part, that the parts that are ugly. I try to make it as uncomfortable as I can for him so he can understand that it's never gonna be sweet, because when you're good, you got a target on your back. When you get to the highest level, every night, you got to turn that shit on because it's a motherfucker that's ready to take your fucking head off, and they're gonna laugh at you what they're doing.
Speaker 1: It just sometimes just because of your last name, just because what we did.
Speaker 2: Right, right, That's one thing about him that I like the most though, Like he wants to be his own personal completely. So like people will be like, oh, you're you're Trevors soon he'd be like nah, right. So you know that confidence and him wanting to be his own individuals is really you know, it's impressive to me.
Speaker 4: Born in Miami but raised in La. How did you up in La? How did I end up in La? My mom wanted to be a movie star. That's fun, that's the truth. That's how we ended up here.
Speaker 2: My mom is a young ex spot whatever it wanted to be spiring. I wanted to be an actress, so she's a beautiful woman. So she wanted to come out here and pursue her career, and uh, that's how we end up here.
Speaker 1: Speaking of your mom, she's so dope. Whatever happened in that place she took me that one night, that was the best place I ever been in my life. And next thing I know, it's going what happened it was? It was too live. It ahead of his time. Fourteen fifteen. Yeah, that was a long time. I tell you off camera it was so live.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do it. Definitely had a good time. It was a good time my mom, and my mom knows how.
Speaker 1: To Yeah party, she's dope. Yeah, shout out to mom.
Speaker 3: What was LA like growing up as a as a kid? A t l A For me as a kid, it was fun. Man.
Speaker 2: It wasn't social media, so you actually have to get outside and play, ride your bikes, go to all the barks to play. You know, you're getting into everything. It's everything that's available for you to do that you can think of as available when you are coming up around our time.
Speaker 1: Who are some of the kids you grew up with, we would know.
Speaker 2: Uh pooh h Brandon Heath Bobby Brown, uh Hassan Adams, Evan Burns, Craig Smith, somebody else that we grew up. But you know Marcus Washington, Marcus not known for basketball, but he's in the boxing world. Him and his family. Who else uh d jack Deshaun Jackson. He grew up played football together. Him and my little brother were on the same team, went to the same elementary school and all that. So, yeah, those people are a lot of talent. It's a ship ton of talent. I'm missing a whole bunch of Yeah.
Speaker 1: Football games and basketball games were live, man, it.
Speaker 2: Was always always, always talent. I played for Inglewood Pop Winner, and we used to play against like Carson. Carson used to have like all the big rivalries. All the really good players played in Carson and Compton, South Bay and all that. So we always used to compete against each other. When did basketball find you? Basketball? Basketball came to me. I guess I understood I had a really good chance of doing something like in the tenth grade.
Speaker 3: But I started playing basketball from the crib. Man.
Speaker 2: My mom gave me the ball in my crib, and from then she just pushed it, pushed it, pushed it, you know.
Speaker 3: So from zero. Yeah, exception from conception.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you attended l A powerhouse Westchester, Yeah, big time, recruited California State championship and No.
Speaker 3: Three. Talk about good time at west Chester.
Speaker 2: My time in Westchester, it was probably the best school, I think, period of all any school in the country. But my time there was fun because we known for having like the pretty girls at our school.
Speaker 3: So oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: So our games used to be cracking, so everybody from every school used to come. We used to play against all the people around the state. That was real good. So we got to travel, We got the experience life outside of l A two, which was a plus.
Speaker 3: But just coming up in the school, it was it was.
Speaker 2: It was some shipped a lot of the times, but you know it was fun times too.
Speaker 3: Legendry games and the legendary games Fairfax.
Speaker 2: It's always legendary games against Fairfax Crenshaw. I remember we played Crenshaw at Southwest I think it was, and in the first quarter we was beating the ass by thirty.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that that shit was live. It was packed.
Speaker 2: It was good two thousand I think it was, but we was We smashed them. And then anytime we played against fairfaxt the wall was sweat, you know that. One particular time at their gym, they had to shut the game down because it was too many people coming.
Speaker 1: Any pros on that team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was Hassan Adams, Bobby Brown, myself, Craig Smith was on the other team.
Speaker 3: Evan Burns the other team. He was a pro. Yeah.
Speaker 1: What happened to him?
Speaker 2: Man injuries probably you know, injuries talking to him, but.
Speaker 3: He had probably the most talent out of the whole bunch. Water too, who anybody modeled your game after?
Speaker 2: When I was younger, I wanted to play like Penny, t Mac and Kobe. Those were my favorite players coming up. So those three, a combination of those three players. What do you know about? Shay is a fucking monster agend He's like a legend like babies that's born now. Still hear about the legend of sha because we talk about it right now. So that's how legendary he is. He didn't even get a chance to to show the world his legendary at the highest stage.
Speaker 1: So you know, yeah, we definitely know.
Speaker 2: I got a chance to actually when I was younger in high school, I got a chance to like play against them and work with work with them, and him and his brother and uh, you know, they definitely had influence on you know where my career ended up going.
Speaker 1: YO successful high school career, heavily recruited. You chose to go to UCLA. Who are some other schools you thought about? Possibly Florida? Florida was the only other school I really wanted to go to. I love Billy Donovan who was there, and my pops went there, So Florida was the other school I wanted to actually commit. I wanted to commit to go to Florida, but once I called coach Donovan, I told him that I wasn't coming because I was getting homesick. You know, I didn't want to leave my mom seventeen, I think, so leaving moms would have been crazy for me. So you see, La, what's it like when you get there?
Speaker 2: What's the life? Completely different? Because the coach that recruited me was gone.
Speaker 3: It was gone. I was sick about it.
Speaker 1: Who was so who recruited you?
Speaker 3: Laughing? And coach Man, uh huh?
Speaker 1: And then halland Hallen COM's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then Holland coome. It was.
Speaker 2: That was a rough one. It was a completely different style of play for me. You know, for me being in transitions, getting up and down the court was you know where I was good at. And he liked to play in the half court, you know, he went to grind it out. He was from the Big East at the time and he like older players. So me coming in at seventeen eighteen years old, he was like, nah, Bron, you're gonna have to learn some shit. But I was really good, so I had to kind of play. So yeah, we bumped heads a lot, caught me out of class one time they did a class check. So we went to the to the court. It's me TJ. Cummings and Ryan Holland's ass was out of class or he had to run for some reason. So he made me do like forty five sprints or something. And the whole time we're doing sprints, I'm just laughing the whole time.
Speaker 3: So fucker's turned red sh He was pissed. Man, he was so mad.
Speaker 2: But like you know, I in my head, I wanted to like let him know that, like I'm not You're not gonna break. There's nothing you're gonna be able to do that's gonna break me on this court.
Speaker 1: Is that why you was one and done? How many freshmen you know, pack ten on freshman team? You just felt like it was time to go, or that that combination of him not vibing with him and the opportunity to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just think that at first, I really just wanted to. They had a rule you could test the waters, and I wanted to test the waters, you know. And we had a conversation about that and we disagreed about the conversation a little bit. Yeah, and I was like, well, fuck it, here we go. I mean, I believed in myself. I believed in what I could do. I was going around in these workouts and playing against the top talent all the places, so you know.
Speaker 3: Doing that when you instead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Plus I played in the Pac ten at the time, it's called the Pac ten. The Pac ten was cracking. Luke Jackson was cracking and I had to play against him all the time. He was really good. So he was the tenth pick that year you was going thinking about going to Florida. Whatever was I want to say it was win the championships. The year after they start winning yeah, yeah, yeah, but they they.
Speaker 3: Went back to back then they went back to back. Yeah, yeah, so it was as.
Speaker 1: Hard and yeah, outside of basketball, how would you ucl experience russ Wood and just making friends.
Speaker 2: And well, you know, growing up in LA, it's either U, C, l A, or USC.
Speaker 3: You know, that's what it was for me. I played basketball, so you.
Speaker 1: Went to the basketball school to go to the basketball school.
Speaker 2: But being around there and being on that campus, you know, you got to meet a lot of different people.
Speaker 3: It was diverse.
Speaker 2: That's my first time around a lot of diversity or going to a school that was diverse like that. So you know, I got to meet a lot of different people, learned a little bit of culture from different cultures. So the experience was dope and opened my eyes up to the world.
Speaker 1: Men's gym talk to us about the men's gym and and and all that. I feel like that helped our team, whoever made up from our team get to the league.
Speaker 3: Was the men's gym.
Speaker 2: The men's gym is that's you know they say New York mister mecca who. I feel like the men's gym is the mecca for our whop and what we're doing. Because if you are somebody, you gotta come through there, got to pull up, you gotta go through there.
Speaker 1: Who are some of the people you saw early on when you first started going up there.
Speaker 2: I seen being in there. All the Lakers that used to come in there. Paul used to be in there. BD Shane used to be in there. Everybody you used to be in there. KG used to be in there a lot.
Speaker 1: Andre Miller it was nice in the runs is killer period straight up?
Speaker 4: Yeah, everybody used to be in there, he declared early for the draft. Some of you come with Rico. Talk about Rico and how did Rico help you prepare for the draft? With his burnt ass, burn man, burn toast, man toast, just like he's a He's an animal for real, like in his mind. So like just being around that type of energy all the time, you gotta it comes out or you or you're gonna break. And one thing about me, I'm never gonna I'm never gonna break for for nothing. So you know, it was a challenge and him challenging me every day to get better.
Speaker 2: You know, it helped me a lot. And you know, going through the ship is not pretty all the time. You know, it's ugly a lot of the times. You know, it's frustrating, but he just you know, he made you want to keep pushing because he gives you love, but he pushed you in tough love. Yeah, at that age, I needed that.
Speaker 4: People don't know Rico is a big part of our success in Golden State doing what we believe he is. And he had one key saying that a lot of people didn't understand. But he said to us on the team, and they resonate quick, don't be nasty.
Speaker 3: Don't be nasty. That's what he said. Don't be nasty because you could be nasty.
Speaker 4: You could be nasty out there. Told me like, don't be nasty, bro, don't go out there and be nasty boy, And he'll let you know asap.
Speaker 2: Bro, you look nasty out there. That's nasty. What if you told me that a couple of times, Yeah, that's nasty.
Speaker 1: Dogs shout out to man's It's dope to kind of see his his journey with our journey, you know what I mean. Obviously he wanted to do what you know, what what we did, but he found out that wasn't his role. And you know, similar to what they was talking about earlier, Ricos found his role and worked itself up to what the second seat on the bench and in the Philadelphia this year. Yeah, you know, should be a head coach in the next two or three years. One of the best basketball minds and just motivators and good people person. I feel like coaching today is not so much about the X and O. It's about relating to these players because these dudes met mind is is this is a whole new generation. So he's such a great relator in people person. That's why I feel like any NBA team that's gonna be seeing this.
Speaker 2: He always say, he always says, be a star in your role. He's definitely a superstar in his bro Absolutely.
Speaker 4: What do you think about the training the culture of training today, Like how do you get the right balance of training and hoops?
Speaker 3: When we was growing up, I ain't trained at all. I hooped everywhere.
Speaker 4: I was a hoop And I was just saying a few minutes ago. Now they got a lot of basketball players don't have the many hoopers.
Speaker 3: What's your take on that? Well?
Speaker 2: I think, uh, I think right now they're doing a lot of playing in the summertime, Like even now they play more games than where I play period, But in the summer we hoop more. They work out more. I think the the business of the game has become so big that they started a little bit earlier with business mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Correct, So they're treating it like a business, and you know it again, that's what we all go to school for anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we want to do.
Speaker 2: So the earlier you figure it out, you know, the more you put into it. So if they're treating their craft like a business and something they want to do, I.
Speaker 4: Don't see nothing wrong. Yeah, that's a great way to put it. Yeah, but it could be a bad side to that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you get to it too early. You not have the right mind, not the right you know, group of people around you could go crazy.
Speaker 4: The next draft of your second around forty third pick. I went second around forty second pick, and look how we turned out. Uh, walk walk, walk up through your experience, man, because that's sitting there a long time. Yeah, my experience a long time.
Speaker 1: I was a forty six pick. The yeah, my bad. I had a blow moment right there. I was thinking, both y'all shouting now with picks, like, damn, what pick was I?
Speaker 3: They said that?
Speaker 1: So long?
Speaker 3: Man, My experience was dope. Man.
Speaker 2: I got to experience a lot of different places. So you know, I got a lot of different understanding. I got to meet a lot of different people. It wasn't always pretty, but the experience was dope. You know, the cities that I got to play in, the majority of them was some nice ass places. I got to play in New York, I got to play in Miami, Houston, right, you know what I mean. I got to play in at the Crib, I got to play here. You know, I got DC.
Speaker 3: I love d C.
Speaker 2: D C is a dope place. So you know, I can't complain about nothing. But it wasn't all pretty.
Speaker 1: Talk about the talk about that first Knicks experience thought because there's some big names on that team, you know, Steph Penny, Alan Houston with Jamal Crawford was on that team.
Speaker 2: Imagine going from no dollars to everybody on your team being to honeted up, Like imagine that, you know, so it's like you're going into a completely different world. So, like I'm looking at players that you know, I'm like, damn they in the NBA, Like, oh my god, this is Stephan Marberry, Like this has been Baker, this is Tim Thomas Man, Like what the fuck is this?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: And then like you get around them and you see like how they interact, and then you realize that damn like you could. I could I fit in with them, like I can do the same thing they do, and then they all cool at the same time, like they teaching me everything, you know, because you know I did everything for him. You know, at the time, you can you can treat a rookie like a rookie at that time.
Speaker 1: Something ship. They used to have you doing anything. They used to push you off.
Speaker 2: Man, after practice, they used to pick up all the balls and they used to just launch them.
Speaker 1: Jackieou wasn't going for that though.
Speaker 3: We looked at just talking about one. Yeah, he's like myself and all of them have brand, man like make do some ship. That's just right, you know. That's what it was at the time. Unless you had Kenye Martin as your rookie duke. He wasn't gone.
Speaker 1: He so jack said, he wasn't going.
Speaker 3: I ain't got to do it. He ain't gotta do it.
Speaker 4: I ain't gotta do it, I mean, And they was kicking the bitch to the rafters, and nobody went and got him trained.
Speaker 3: The ball boys gotta go get it.
Speaker 2: Well, I was already traumatized from my first experience period. Like, I got on the plane first because I like to get everywhere early. So I got my suit on. Steph had brought me like ten suits, you know, shut step was Steph was a great realist. Yeah, so he brought me ten suits. And I'm man sharp as a motherfucker. I'm feeling sharp as baggy as fucked.
Speaker 1: But that's the style though. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I get on the plane, I eat my food, I sit down on the couch. I'm lying down. Isaiah Thomas walks by. He's like, man, congratulations, welcome. You know you go in the training camp. He walks by, he waits for everybody to get on the playing like all the players. So then he comes back up to the player section. He's like, hey, y'all, come here. So everybody gets up and come here. He goes, why the fuck is this rookie on the plane right here before all y'all sitting down eating, And then he looks at me. He says, may get the fuck off the plane and gonna help with the bags.
Speaker 3: And from that point on, I'm like, Yo, this motherfucker is for real, Like I can't funk around with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he also showed me like that he went, he would go through like he'll do anything for you. Because later on I end up having like an issue with the coach, you know, like I wanted to play. He didn't want to play me. You know, he said some things about me in the paper that I did not understand. Brown He sometimes, yeah, so, but you know they wanted to trade me. He and he said, I'm gonna trade you to a place where I know you're gonna go and play, you know, so give you opportunity. So he's as he was like hard teaching me lessons, you know, showing me like nothing was going to be given to you. He's still with somebody that looked out for me to put me in a position to where I can go show my talents. And where was that to Orlando? So I always respect and love Zeke for that.
Speaker 1: Zeke had me fucked up with y'all. I was a late training camp invite, so we were at with Charleston. So I come out there, do well in training camp. They wanted to bring me back to New York. But they have a rule that you have to wear a suit on the plane. And I'm thinking to myself, like I said, you just talked to my agent and you invited me out here two days. You know, I appreciate it, but like you never said nothing about a suit. So the whole team like scrapped together. Some one dude gave me a belt, someone else gave me a pant, someone else gave me a shirt tie. I didn't look good, but I had a motherfucking suit on and got back and then started. This team was loaded with with with a bunch of money, but dudes were hurt. So I came a late into training camp, earned a starting spot, started like the first six seven games, and got cut like that bro, probably because Nate Robinson. Though Nate Robinson, it was like Tom and Jerry. He would just always fuck with me, so you know, I'm just not gonna let it slide. So he was, you know, pouring itching powder in my tights and fucking me up, and I poured salt on his ice cream in front of everyone when he was trying to It was just it was just a wild time. He flooded the back, he flooded the showers, but I got I got blamed for it was pied, So I was just just went acting right. Nate, how competitive was those practices. Man, there's a lot of talent on that team. Bro.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It was ultra competitive because again you still have superstars even though something you.
Speaker 1: Know, they're a little older. Yeah, Sash Penny, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You got superstars on your team and like they want, they're gonna go at you.
Speaker 1: Eddie Curry.
Speaker 3: Eddie Curry was there, Jamal was there? Was there? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kurt Thomas. I played with Kurt Thomas, man, he was like a super v.
Speaker 3: What was the what was the problem all that talent? It didn't work?
Speaker 1: Larry Brown and bring it together.
Speaker 2: It was just a lot of It was a lot of egos. It was a lot of a lot of above my pay grade at the time. Yeah, I don't know, but you know, looking back, you know it's no reason why that team probably couldn't have, you know, been a real good team.
Speaker 1: For real, Orlando. Uh a young Dwight Howard talk to us about your experience and that young Dawhite Howard D.
Speaker 2: White was a monster for real, Like anything that came into paint, he was altering or he was blocking, Like if you scored in the paint, he wasn't on the court because he for sure, like around that time. He just dominated everything and he played for for Stan, and Stan was like demanding of him. Like to me, I feel like Stan helped his career the most because he demanded shit out of him.
Speaker 3: You know, he put him on a timer.
Speaker 2: Like Bro, if you go up and down the court, you don't get these rebounds in this amount of time, you're not doing your fucking job and you can't you're not helping us win.
Speaker 3: And Dwight is a competitor as.
Speaker 2: Well, so you know, he took those challenges and it helped his career.
Speaker 3: But he was good as fun.
Speaker 1: What'd you learn from staying in your time there?
Speaker 2: Stan was like attention to detail and he was like about he was no bush.
Speaker 1: Great at it.
Speaker 3: He was really good at it.
Speaker 2: Like when you're young, you don't appreciate things like that, but as you get older and understand it.
Speaker 1: I just didn't like shoot arounds.
Speaker 3: Shoot arounds.
Speaker 1: Take Bro. He used to make us wear like you had to wear pads and shoot around and you had to tape. It wasn't no quick thirty minute walks. We're running through the other team's place. Fully made.
Speaker 2: Broaknee pass and ankle tape. If you don't tape you fine, he made.
Speaker 3: He make you run.
Speaker 1: You got so hard like a gang.
Speaker 3: So when you're done, you're really going home.
Speaker 2: Take a nap because you because you fucking going balls to the wall for ninety minutes and shoot.
Speaker 1: G Hill on that team?
Speaker 2: Hill was on that G Hill Wasn't you know G Hill? I don't know G on that team. I think G Hill was for Briant Hill.
Speaker 1: Was he after?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Before oh before you got there?
Speaker 3: No, I was on his team.
Speaker 1: But yeah, no, no, I'm just talking about with Grant being there. How was it like? What was it like with what with g?
Speaker 2: G was a real cool dude, Like he was very like, very like smooth the vessional, very professional, always early, always, you know, taking care of his body, you know, always in the weight room, always in training room, always shooting, talking, teaching, you know, very very like, very very like a leader, like a real real real leader. He was just a cool dude.
Speaker 1: Traded to the Lakers two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight, What was that experience like? Getting a chance to come back home play with Cold life back at home?
Speaker 4: Man, y'all lucky because not only do y'all get to come play at home, I got to play for the Lakers.
Speaker 3: That's crazy. It's like it's like being a rock star.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's nothing like it. Yeah, it's no other way to explain that. So, like anything you would imagine it being for a rock star, it's similar. And then playing with you know, the face of the league. It's just it's like it's like that much that much more so. You know, my experience was unbelieved. It was unreal, for real, Like it's unimaginable. I wouldn't believe that I could play with Kobe Bryant for real, or lamar Odham or Andrew Biden Powell, those guys. I wouldn't believe that you could put me in a position like that.
Speaker 1: But you did it and did it well. I mean, what was it like working alongside Cob and all those great players you mentioned?
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, it was it was. It was a good time.
Speaker 2: It was it was like to me, it didn't feel like pressure because I'm just out there playing, you know, doing what I'm supposed to do.
Speaker 3: So you know, we practice every day.
Speaker 2: Practices was always competitive, but it was fun too, you know, especially anywhere lo gonna be it's gonna be funny always. And Luca is a funny dude too. Yeah, you know being around Lucas is a good time as well.
Speaker 1: What did you learn from your two years with cod.
Speaker 2: I think the thing that I learned the most playing with Cob is or just being around him, like like how it was was no matter what you did outside of you know, the game, this is what matters the most. Like so everything that it takes to be good. If you don't do that, I'm not fucking with you. And I was one of those people that he didn't really have to like tell you that, you know, this is what it is. You could see it. So like he'll hit me up like four o'clock. What you're doing four in the morning though, what you're doing? I'm sleep I'm in the weight room. Come on, all right, there be in the weight room four after Like I'm doing my own thing, you know. So you know it just it made me like lock into a different space.
Speaker 1: Any crazy stories that you could tell.
Speaker 3: I got a ship turn of crazy stories.
Speaker 1: We're gonna animate it, so make it good.
Speaker 2: Nah, I got one for probably in the practice we like scrimmaging and be Shaw and him are talking shit to each other. Be Shaw one of our coaches, right, but they were teammates and he knew him for back in the time when he was playing against his pops in Italy. So uh, they talking shit to each other and I think the second team is beating us at the time, so uh being getting mad or some shit. He picks the ball up and throws that ship at the scores table. PJ is sitting on the physio ball, you know. Uh Shaw is like on the court, are sitting at the scores table during the score and it hit the bubble gum ship and it just splash everywhere.
Speaker 3: Gets He throws the ball.
Speaker 2: Back at you, motherfucker. What's upbe like that? Fuck you what you want to do? And he walks out. Five minutes lady comes back and he huggs kiss him on the head.
Speaker 1: Like you did that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's kicked it with him every day. So that's my dog real for real.
Speaker 1: I want to get like, what what did he mean to you?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: He he? I remember talking he he loved you? What what did he mean to you?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: He uh he he gave me an opportunity to play on the biggest stage.
Speaker 3: She vouched for me.
Speaker 2: I remember we were in Portland and I was coming off the bench was starting at the time, and I think Luke had maybe made a turnover at a crucial time and.
Speaker 3: He was like, Man, take this motherfuck out the game. Man put him in.
Speaker 2: And so after from that point on, like I started the rest of my time, the rest of my career. So like him vouching for me kind of just gave me the confidence that I needed to go out here and like play against the top players all the time.
Speaker 1: Your first year, you guys lose to Boston. Coach said, well, that was one of his toughest losses. Ever, how was it for you?
Speaker 2: I mean for me, I think I still was just like I mean, I like to compete. I'm used to winning my high school. We went all the time, so losing is never a sweet feeling. But I don't think I took it as hard as they did. I think I wasn't in their training camp, so you know, I was yelling with him. So that loss was hard, but it wasn't as hard as they took it. But after the game, I know, like going to the hotel, the bus was shaking, The fans were shaking our bus, throwing rocks at our shit. And we get back to the hotel, everybody goes to Kobe's room, right, we just taking shots, like talking about like how we're gonna come back next year and be better and be better and like, and once we got back to LA, he sent me a text. He said, in like a week, I'm gonna send you the blueprint to how we're gonna win this shit. I'm gonna send you everything that I need you to do.
Speaker 3: To help me.
Speaker 2: And he sent me like a text of all the shit that he wanted me to do and times when he wanted me to come fuck with him to work out. And you know, we worked throughout the summer the ship that he told me to do.
Speaker 3: I did that shit every day, twice a day, and you know we ended up winning this.
Speaker 1: So you came back next year and you face Orlando, your former team. What was that experience?
Speaker 3: Like? I loved it because I wanted to shove that shit to him, like for real.
Speaker 1: He was in their huddle, talk to shit during timeouts and everything.
Speaker 3: The whole time was on ten.
Speaker 2: Like I wanted action everybody, even though I loved them, like but still, you know they didn't think that I could play with them. So you know, I wanted to show them that y'all couldn't really fuck with me like that.
Speaker 4: It's a different feeling to play a team that either cut you or you know what I'm saying, because I did the same thing with Jersey. They cut me and I ended up playing them in the finals the next year. So that shit is sweet. It is, yeah, real sweet. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So just winning and winning on their home court was even more of a like, you know what I'm saying, like stepping, you know, stepping.
Speaker 3: I was feeling myself. The only part that I thought that.
Speaker 2: Was, you know that I that was fucked up is that I'm watching Jamier and and the White you know, watch us win on their floor.
Speaker 3: But you know, other than that, I was like, fucking right.
Speaker 1: Uh, one the first championship, one last thing for we we move on. You shared something dope on Cod's birthday on Instagram?
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, so I think it was the next year, I get to Houston and it's preseason and I see this shot on Instagram or something. Maybe it wasn't Instagram, maybe it was Twitter or something back back whenever it was, and I sent it to him. I didn't say nothing. I just sent them the text and he said, yeah, like if I missed. That means somebody else have a good shot. But what I was saying was, damn, you're not gonna pass it the nobody. Three dudes on the right, somebody gotta be open. So yeah, but he was like, yeah, they can.
Speaker 1: Get it, get it off the rim, get it off the rim.
Speaker 3: There should be a good shot.
Speaker 2: They shouldn't have a good chance of putting it back good offensive position.
Speaker 4: Correct After OH nine championship, you take a long term deal with Houston.
Speaker 2: Why LA didn't offer you the bag? Why LA didn't offer me to bang? Why they didn't offer me the back? I don't I think they were just more attracted to Ron at the time. You know, Wyant was fucking amazing player. You know he was in Houston. He we played against them around. He fucking destroyed us really, you know, t Mac was out him and y'all was, you know, doing that ship against us. So, I mean I can understand that. But you know, did I want to leave, No to my choice to leave? No, Yeah, but Houston was not a bad place, amazing place.
Speaker 3: I spent the most time there.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, it was that experience like though, playing with you know, big names like that.
Speaker 3: In Houston Yeah, I love Houston. Houston was a good time.
Speaker 2: There was a great city, playing with the players that I got a chance to play with.
Speaker 3: White.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who was on that team?
Speaker 2: James, Chris Luke, Eric Gordon, j Clint, my LB was on on our team, you know, so LB, Bobby Brown, Kyle wasn't on that team.
Speaker 1: He was on the team that came back and beat us, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we popped try three one, right.
Speaker 1: We was up three to one.
Speaker 3: Bro. The part that got your cracked is when.
Speaker 2: That's the clip when yeah, Damn and DeAndre was fucking on the bench doing all this bullshit right here.
Speaker 3: That's what got you all crack.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that. What were they doing? Young?
Speaker 3: Ship celebrate? Y I was up with doub right.
Speaker 1: Remember they had sat James for the fourth Yeah.
Speaker 2: They sat changed, but yeah they sat him and then you know, y'all was like waving to the crowd and Ship like it's over.
Speaker 3: Aready here? Yeah s walk them down?
Speaker 1: Walked three straight games, Bro, three straight games.
Speaker 2: Blake and DeAndre thank them they for real.
Speaker 1: I didn't know, Bro, this is the first time I'm hearing of this. I'm gonna have to investigate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've seen on the Jumbo tround.
Speaker 1: So everybody saw it.
Speaker 3: Everybody see this is the Rockets team, one of the best teams that never won the championship.
Speaker 2: Yes for sure. I mean we probably had the best offense to the at that time. We was top five in defense. We was really good in defense.
Speaker 1: Is that that your CP pull to ham shirt?
Speaker 3: That's your CP got hurt?
Speaker 1: Y'all give the Warriors problems.
Speaker 3: We was fucking them up.
Speaker 2: We had them really on the ropes up until he got hurt, and then we just they just turned it back on.
Speaker 3: They got life.
Speaker 2: And I feel like in series like that, that's why they have four games, because anything can happen, you know, and anything can change, like the momentum of you know, a series, and that was a shift. You know, everybody was hitting shots for their team at that point. What's what's CP and Beer beefing? I don't think they were beefing. I just think that, like they just think different. You know, they are two different minds of the game, two different geniuses. If if I could say that in different ways, Yeah, more of a more of a pit bull James, more easy going James.
Speaker 3: James.
Speaker 2: James to me is like he a killer, but he you know, he it's just hiss. That's more, you know than this than the killer.
Speaker 3: What was it?
Speaker 1: You probably played with the best, James Harden. We've all seen that that window in Houston. What was that night? Like night in night out seeing his greatness? Like some can you compare it to anybody?
Speaker 2: I guess if I could compare it to anybody watching Gilbert play.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Gilbert when he was like when he was hi, crazy, untouchable, nobody could fuck with him. So that's what I would compare like what James was doing then, because it was like triple double sixty with a sixty, he'll have sixty seventeen and like fifteen. Then he'll have forty seven, fifteen and seventeen and they'll have thirty twenty and fucking fifteen or some shit. So like just watching it, it's crazy on the court.
Speaker 3: And then like you know, like you know, dinner, go to dinner, have.
Speaker 1: A good time, Yeah you have good heston loves James, as you were saying, yes that I'll saying loving.
Speaker 2: But again, though, the thing that I love the most about him is that you don't really give a fuck about anybody else what they think about him, you know, because nobody else got to walk in the shoes. So you know, that's one thing I think that everybody should kind of pay attention to, Like you don't really regardless, Yeah, you do his thing, whether he you like him or you don't.
Speaker 3: I should be talk about your time in Washington with John wall.
Speaker 4: Wall.
Speaker 3: I love John.
Speaker 2: I love John as a point guard because he's so so fast, and he puts so much pressure on the rim at that time that like I got shots.
Speaker 3: Like everybody was getting wide open shots.
Speaker 2: You got young Brad, you got me, You got fucking hours there with me, hours, Otto Porter, so all these guys who could really shoot the ball.
Speaker 3: He was making the game so easy for him.
Speaker 1: It was fun looking back on your career, you know, your experience, your years, the teams, the opportunities, the players. What do you think about when you look back, Because most of the time we're so busy in the moment, we don't get a chance to kind of like I played eighteen years in the NBA, win a championship, play with some of the greatest players ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I try to kind of, I guess right now, still ain't hit me yet. I try to go through life or whatever, living in the moment instead of like looking back at moments. So I ain't look back at a moment.
Speaker 1: Yell, how how many years have you been?
Speaker 3: This year?
Speaker 1: Second year out, first year out, second year, second year, like going into a second year out? Yeah, miss it? Not really because he burned.
Speaker 2: Not even I sat down because my son, right, my son is really good and I ain't want to just give everything right to basketball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, say something the.
Speaker 1: Same same reason, Like I said, I retired that the year with Golden State. I still had two years left, but it was I was missing all the time with the boys burned state of the league present day, I mean kind of more of a European style, lot of versatility, which which still fits your game. You know, a younger you, what kind of work would you do in this league?
Speaker 2: I think I would be really good. I think so, especially being young. Yeah, play so many different positions, right positions, do a lot of different things. I don't think that gets enough. Well now it's getting more credit, but like earlier on, I don't think that's why.
Speaker 3: Like when you like talk about like an.
Speaker 2: Autumn quarter, like his style of player low key, like all of them players are like getting bags and stuff. The kid in Minnesota, the long kid in Minnesota, the brother in Charlotte too, right like their brothers. Oh yeah yeah, and then Bro for the Lakers. Just now who Vanderbilt?
Speaker 3: You know, I like him. I love his game.
Speaker 2: He don't even got it and he's learning how to shoot the ball too, So like players like that.
Speaker 1: That's what the game is.
Speaker 3: That's what the game is. And then you got your super talents.
Speaker 4: So that kind of bothers me though, you wait till you get to the league to learn how to shoot, Like, I just don't get that.
Speaker 3: You ain't.
Speaker 2: I guess they've been in positions where they never have to learn how to shoot.
Speaker 4: That's just but see, I think that's just a part of the game, like when you're a hooper defense shooting like that's a part of basketball. Like when did they say work on this and don't work on that. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Like when they gave us the ball, we worked on everything, hand shot defense.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. Unless you played for Larry Brown, I did play for that round.
Speaker 2: Run on every get block every shot, get every rebound, and run on every play.
Speaker 3: I got it. I can't say that because my best year was with Brown. My best career year was defense in the league. Don't shoot the ball. You're supposed to listen to Wow, we didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he was. He was on his way out, then he was, he was the next It was a little different vibe with him then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, Hey, I didn't listen. I I'm just saying I didn't listen either. I didn't listen. Neither you are.
Speaker 2: And I'm not as burn as burn.
Speaker 3: It's the line I'm gonna get there. Yeah, what's going on? Somebody gotta push me over it? What I'm gonna do over there?
Speaker 1: You're not even by the birth side. You way past the mirth side of the line.
Speaker 3: You're not even gonna see. The line was fast straight through.
Speaker 1: You feel some of the better three and D guys in the game today.
Speaker 3: Uh, give me something. That's a good question. It is a good question. He was like, damn tuck, Okay, but no, you can't do that. He could score to fact some some nights talking near the house. He was in the kitchen. He can Actually you can't leave him over. So that's that's differ. What I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You can't just say that case p is good. He can shoot that thing though you really could shoot it. And he played the Herb Jones. Oh fuck, yes, Herb Jones is good. I like what he do up there. Orlean's got a nice like they got.
Speaker 4: You know how I'm putting that Aaron Gordon, that's what he wants for them, championship run.
Speaker 2: Aaron Gordon and yeah, yeah it's good. Uh well some things. Let me think about my team. I guess he didn't shoot, no threes or free throws. He struggled at the line. That's that's the only shot. He was getting this ship with three?
Speaker 3: Right? No, okay, all right, I might be getting three and D in a two way Kawhi used to make a two way player.
Speaker 4: I'm thinking two way players, three and D two ways different.
Speaker 3: Three and D yeah the square two.
Speaker 4: I'm saying three and D and two way players different. Yes, okay, okay, so three and D me you played, even say you only shoot threes. I don't shoot That's what I'm saying, Like, help.
Speaker 3: Me with that.
Speaker 1: Let's just let's just go the next question.
Speaker 4: No, help me with that. I want to know the difference. What's the difference between three and D and a two way player.
Speaker 1: So guy that I say, a guy that plays defense and primarily shoots threes. That's not the only thing he does, but he primarily shoots three. A two way guys, Jimmy Butler, he could give you whatever you want. PG.
Speaker 3: Who's boring as what three d? Okay about? Okay? Okay? He was.
Speaker 1: He was a two way player, absolutely not stupid, fuck out of here. Best player in the world right now.
Speaker 3: Jest, how can you go against that? Though?
Speaker 4: I will never go against So we got everything, the game, the attitude.
Speaker 1: Who is Trevor outside of basketball?
Speaker 3: A lot of different things.
Speaker 1: Man, uh, father Box, you're a monster in the business. If you don't mind share some of your I know you. I know you're a private per whole.
Speaker 4: Little click low key, his whole little click low key, the lot.
Speaker 3: You don't talk about it.
Speaker 4: But they got a nice little structure, homeboys, and they're all doing their thing, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: The bars where you bobby all, y'all doing y'all live.
Speaker 1: He's invested in a bunch of he's invested in some trais, got a nice portfolio. What kind of you want to share? Yeah, I know Buffalo Wild Wings is one of your big one of your bigger things, right.
Speaker 3: My whole thing.
Speaker 2: The way I try to move is like I try to move behind the scenes. So when you hear about it, you know, I ain't never gonna talk about it. I ain't never gonna like brag on it on the table, you know, you know, So that's what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: That's what he's doing. He's not gonna drop his dick on the table. But if you know, you know, you know you I know, y'all. I was trying to get it to see if y'all he could tell y'all, so you know, But I know, quick hitters, we've enjoyed your time today. First thing to come to mind. Let us know m J cole Bron wrink.
Speaker 3: Them uh.
Speaker 4: M J.
Speaker 3: And Kobe Woe and Brian too.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: That's my first time hearing that one. But I say, yeah one creator top five l A Born Hoopers of all time?
Speaker 2: Oh Man obviously gun By uh Man.
Speaker 3: There's too many. I feel like it would have to be like a category.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna go with Shay just like that.
Speaker 1: That's hard.
Speaker 3: That's hard, John Williams, it's good.
Speaker 1: So who is your so gunby John Williams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tayshawn forgot about and uh bat Paul, it's too many people, it's Paul. Tony Blan is one of my favorite players ever. I just like his staff. It's mindset, fucking keeling, Fortune was real good. Kenny Bruner, Kenny Bruner, Pool Jetter, l B. Hassan Adams.
Speaker 1: The list goes on and there's so many people.
Speaker 3: There's too many to name five.
Speaker 1: It's crazy how many La Hoopers came out of there.
Speaker 2: Jacobsen is crazy good. Jump call Josh Children's freaking Dejon huh man. It's all of them, be right, the real all of them. Yeah, it's a there's too many people. The name of five to Marcus Williams was fucking sick, by the way.
Speaker 1: Craig Smith, Craig.
Speaker 3: All these but all these names your name are they all time? Yeah? All time?
Speaker 1: They called like call to me all time. Chris Mills for sure. One album you could listen to my repeat Blueprint? Where were you having that album drop.
Speaker 3: On the bus at abc D camp?
Speaker 1: How was the U c l A Remember that ship got it right from that tower?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah? Your favorite? Yeah? In Lil Wayne Wayne Dwayne.
Speaker 1: My first car.
Speaker 3: That I was able to buy.
Speaker 1: No, the first car you ever drove there was Jerkey Okay, what year two thousand? It was cool? Then he was all right.
Speaker 3: It was two thousand and four, in two thousand and three or something. Yeah, use nice first car that was dope. He was running good.
Speaker 1: Must have been a booster. I got yellow beer, Sam Washington, Okay, oh gee, I.
Speaker 3: Had a yellow Beatle. When you hit the Brakeston had let your hydrally's on the two door.
Speaker 1: I had a Classic. You gotta drive with your arm out the door to keep the door from flying open when you made turns. But it had the velvet interior though. That ship was soft and he used to, you know, float over the bumps so there was no shocks like if you go ahead.
Speaker 3: Top five perimeter defenders of all time.
Speaker 2: Bruce Boyne uh our tests uh early for sure, Kawhi, I'm gonna go probably.
Speaker 3: Xavier McDaniel's uh. Scottie Pippen nice.
Speaker 1: Five five dinners that are alive?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 1: Five dinner guests you plus five plus table do whatever y'all do.
Speaker 3: Mike Tyson.
Speaker 1: Current mic or heavyweight champ. Mike back when he was boxing.
Speaker 3: Uh, current Mic.
Speaker 2: We got the same birthday, so I really I already know what current Mic was like.
Speaker 1: Early. Michael Black Ye, Uh, who.
Speaker 3: I say, Mike Tyson? Let me see Tupac.
Speaker 2: I would like to talk to Tupac and see what that's what you're talking about? Ship and just people that I that I work with, like my everyday people.
Speaker 1: Three more of than every day people who go get that seat. Stop trying to mask group people.
Speaker 3: That's how could you give them the.
Speaker 1: Past to do it?
Speaker 2: Cole already had I had a great time with bro So no, that would be hard. That would be a hard one. So probably not.
Speaker 3: Uh. Who else?
Speaker 2: I would probably sit down with Bezos. I would like to get him at the table. Who else, Yeah, I'll talk about some money, al Hayman and uh I need some comedy probably Will Ferrell.
Speaker 3: Mm yeah, I'll be a sick table.
Speaker 4: If you could see somebody on all the burn, I mean all the smoke, who would it be?
Speaker 3: But you have to help us get them on the sholf.
Speaker 1: Before he answered that, can you take your head off real quick?
Speaker 4: You want to see my I got this not you see I've been rubbing my head. I got this, No on my ship, the burn, oh the bird.
Speaker 3: Y'all know, I don't give a fuck. Have y'all got We would love to have James over here.
Speaker 1: I got to get the Yeah, you got to help us.
Speaker 4: I just want him to come on a Friday and we do the show on the Saturday, so I can go hang out with him Friday night.
Speaker 1: Free night.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I need that.
Speaker 1: It's a day and the life been.
Speaker 3: Hearing about it. And that's my little bro.
Speaker 4: I just ain't never get a chance of experience, and I'm a fool, my damn self.
Speaker 1: Indeed, indeed, indeed, Well, trev Man, we appreciate your time. Congratulations man. I don't think people like you because not that you even give a funk, but you beat behind the scenes. We just want to commend you man, eighteen years for champion and even more than that, the father you are. I know all the stuff you've gone through, and it's just it's dope to just kind of see this evolution of you, you know, after all these years. So proud of you, Bro.
Speaker 3: Appreciate that man for sure, not that always, Bro. Thank you.
Speaker 1: That's a wrap, Trevor, Resa all the smoke. You can catch us on Showtime Basketball, YouTube and now I hard platform black effects