Speaker 1: Hey, hey, ba fam, it's time for the b a qa A the v a q a what to say the v a q wait with manday, the v a q a the b a qa A.
Speaker 2: Happy holidays, ba fam.
Speaker 1: We're on the other side of Christmas now, and I hope that it was a beautiful holiday for y'all. Or if it wasn't, it's in the past, y'all, it's over. Let's move forward. Let's look ahead now. In this special episode of the ba Qa we're going to take a look back at some of our favorite questions of the year.
Speaker 2: I hope y'all enjoy it. Hope you just you know, can play this while you're you know, enjoying watching the kids run around with all those gifts, and hopefully maybe you're having a white Christmas. Whatever.
Speaker 1: I hope you're just having a season of rest and rejuvenation. And we put together this little show just for you. Thank you, ba fam, We love you, and we'll see you in the new year.
Speaker 3: It's time for the b a q a a to b a q a which to say, the b a q eight with Tiff and a the b a q a no, Manday, I am taking these questions. I'm answering today just in general from what the people have been asking, and the people say, bujaneta buganesta question. So I have these financial resolutions and it's not looking good, Queen, even though we're in week two. How do I stay on track for the year? Who has that question? Raise your hand? Raise your hand, right? I know I have that question sometimes, and so I have found a system, if you will, that allows me to stay on relative financial track for the year. Want to hear it? Hear it? Go first things first, you do have to kind of identify I don't necessarily do resolutions, but I do try to identify what goals financial goals I'd like to meet by the end of the year. But this is what I ask myself. I say, Tiffany January one, Tiffany, what would you like January thirty first Tiffany to look like? Where would you like for her to say? Ooh chi, I went on these trips. What would you like her to be wearing? You know, I was just looking at a pair of Jordan's today, these jordan Ones. I love the jordan Ones. They were red and black and white. I want her to be wearing those, right, what you know? What is she a last girl, because you see, I got me a little last one. Right now? Does she still have those? Okay? Has she finally moved into her condo she's been renovating forever. Has she eaten at certain restaurants m ou la la? Has she spent time with people she wanted to spend time with? What does January thirty one Tiffany look like? And then infuse financially? What does that mean for her or him? Right? Or they?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 3: Right? What does that mean? Because this is more powerful than a resolution, because of the resolution is like, I'm gonna fix my crdit. That's great. What does that actually mean? I'm literally envisioning myself December thirty first, you know, not outside because child is ghetto on New Year's Eve and dangerous, the December thirty first, reflecting on my year that's passed. And I'm gonna actually because if you know me, you know I'm always cutting my locks, and I've cut them to the chin, I've cut them shorter. But for one thing, I'm like child, I'm actually gonna let my locks grow. So I imagine it's already like at Brawlink, and so I imagine they'll be like mid back and your girl's gonna be a mermaid. I also think I'm gonna keep the lashes up. I will have traveled. I know for a fact, I'm going to Africa. I'm going to go to Johannesburg and a few surrounding countries. Literally tomorrow, I leave for Puerto Rico with my sister. I Am. I just got back from South Carolina. Y'all never told me about the sea islands Gullah Gulla. It was so freaking beautiful. I was right on the Atlantic Ocean. It was moving right. So that's happening. My sisters just started taking pilates classes. It's forty dollars a class. I'm considering it. But do you see, like as I imagine January December thirty one, Tiffany, like I'm looking at her holistically and then I'm attaching the financial goals to that holistic life. Does that make sense? Right?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: What do I want for her? I want to have travel. You know, I don't necessarily want to lose weight, but certainly I would like my body to be tighter, little more snatched to the wakes. Okay, because I'm bringing in forty five, I want to be given forty five grown woman energy, but the body of thirty maybe not thirty because thirty I was too skinny. Thirty five, thirty seven, No, just tighter than what I am now. I still give it key though, right, But I literally am asking myself, how do I want to show up on the last day of the year, and what does that look like? What I have to do now, and how does that tie into my financial life? Is there money that I have to save? Are there trips that I have to book? Maybe I need to lean in, Like literally, I'm going to Dubai in February. Your girls outside outside here go catch this to my trips in the month of January, South Carolina. I started off with their doing Karen Hunter. She's got this awesome podcast. She had this Healthy, Wealthy Wise conference, which was inpecably done. I started there. I go to Puerto Rico. I just got back on Sunday. I go to Puerto Rico tomorrow to celebrate my sister's fortieth Hey, haroyl, that's roman A Milia's mama Inanda. Because my friend Rachel Rogers is having her ROI conference as she has every year in Puerto Rico. So we're gonna I'm gonna go to the conference but also enjoy pr Okay and Dean. The week after that, I have to go to Boston cause I'm taping this huge podcast. Y'all heard it. Mel Robbins, you know you have Okay, I'm taking her podcast. It's in Boston, So I'll be flying out to do that. Indean, I got booked to do this gig in la a week after that, and so I might We'll see how long I stay because I have some friends in La hey Evon and my cousin Chris, so maybe I'll stay a couple of days to hang out with them, and then two weeks. Then the week after that, I'm going to be going to DC to see my friends. And so that's happened in DC. And then the week after that, I go to Dubai for this Mastermind. And during this Mastermind, my friend Terry is going to be there. She said, I've always wanted to go to Singapore. I said, okay, girl, so we are going to go to Singapore the Mastermind for Dubai. It's just two days. But who goes all the way to Dubai just to stay for two days? Not me? So I'm going to be in a way for about ten days, and so we're gonna spend time in Dubai and then spend time as saying, and then bring myself on home. That's just January February. Your girl is what outside? So as I think of December thirty one, Tiffany, she has been well traveled, right, I didn't even talk about May when I go to Africa, when I go to Johannesburg and the surrounding countries. Right, I even book all the other things I plan on doing. Okay, but in order to do that, I am currently looking at one my finances two points. I'm literally like I was watching YouTube videos today about the best way to modeem points because I got a lot of NX points, gotta United, a lot of United Airline points, some Chase Venture Card points and so but do you see that? Like, I don't want you to think of your December thirty first self just from a financial place. I want you to think of like, how will you show up holistically and then match your money to that. That's how you stick to the quote unquote resolutions, because resolutions are dry, honey and ashy, but if you make them about your holistic, wonderful life, then you say, hey, money catch up. I need you to do this, honey, I need you to give this. We need to give savings, we need to give pay down this credit card debt, we need to give maximize these points. Do you see? Do you see? Do you see? We need to give strong credit score. And so that's what I do first and foremost in order to stick to my quote unquote resolutions, is that I make it about a bigger life, not just about the money. And then I match the money to the life. I don't try to match my life to the money. That's one. Then two, one of the things I do is I look for help. I look to you. Is that windy I look Whitney, right, I look to you when I don't even know the song. But it's a cute song. I just don't have a great voice anyway, right. So one of the things I have learned in my almost forty five years of life. Well, I'm gonna say almost forty five because my birthday's not in October, so we're gonna live this cute forty four. I mean, some of y'all be hung up about a not me girl because you see the skin botox and feeler free still looking like what I'm giving. I feel like I look in my forties, which is great, but I feel like I look like in acute in my forties. Okay. The body is still boding and the face is still faced, and the skin is still skinning. Guy. Okay, So so I'm always looking for help. So in my years of living, I have learned the fastest way to get from where you are to where you want to be is typically through someone else. Because girl, why we learn a new lessons when the lessons have been learned and written about and podcast about and blogged about. Okay. So for example, I'm like, hey, I've never flown Emirates or Qatar, and I've heard they're really beautiful, and I want to fly like to when I go to Dubai. I want to have that luxury experience business or first class, that luxury experience. I mean, I've flowed obviously first class and this is before, but those are supposed to be very high upscale airlines. So I'm currently like in these AMEX groups learning through people, how do I maximize the points that I have in order to not have to pay for that? Girl? Because Baye, So through someone else you get to maximize the lessons that you want to learn. Why should you learn from scratch? That's why you're here listening to about ambition. If you want to do anything that has anything to do with financial holeness, that's budgeting, savings, debt, credit, income, investing for both retirement and wealth, your net worth, insurance, your financial team and estate planning. Any of those ten things. Child, That's why I wrote the book Made Whole. It's the workbook version of get good with money, right, and so looking for guidance. Do not do it alone. Money is a team sport. So finding people, tools and resources to help you get to the goal, the financial goal that you need to live the life that your January thirty first self is, like I I did?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 3: Does that make sense? So one identify your January thirty first self. What they fin to say about how the year went? Cute? Two, get yourself a guide While you out here by yourself, it's getto out here, go ahead. Get you a partner. When I used to teach free school, we would always tell the kids hold your partner's hand. Why you would have to hold your partner's hand, because if you was missing, one of these kids is gonna be like my partner's missing, and I could be like, Jahim, where are you sir? Why are you always behind? Right? So get yourself a partner. I love an accountability partner. So that's like a little friend friend that's going to walk you through well, that will walk with you on your journey. They don't have to know personal finance, but they're there to cheer you on and hold you accountable and support you and share their goals too. Right, But then you find somebody that's done the thing you're wanting to do. Like I don't know everything. I lean into my financial advisor Anjulie for certain things. I lean into my peers. You hear me talk about Cabrella a lot, one of my business peers that I bounce things off of. My friend Brandess of HFR, I bounced things off for her. I mean into my mentors Lynnette Coyle, Boddy Cox, Sondra Davis of what is it? Sage Financial Right, and so like, these are my mentors. And so I am quick to raise my hand and say I need help. Let's get good at that. I need help. I don't know, And it's okay finding those people that are doing the thing you're wanting to do and then following their lead. Some people you'll know personally and some people just follow digitally. That's fine, okay, So if you want the book, honey, go ahead and made whole workbook can certainly help me with the financial part. So that's the second part and the third part of keeping these financial resolutions is building a community around you. We work best in community. So when I said, like looking for guidance, that's typically a person or a number of people that have achieved the thing. But the community around you are like your family, your friends, your work friends, your work husband, whoever, your partner, your children. Building this community around you and sharing the things you're wanting to do, you know. So for example, I was telling my sisters, I want us to go on a sister lunch date once a month. So one that's still a financial choice. How much does that cost? How do we set that side? Maybe we have like a sister account where, like you know, the money goes there, so that one when we pay, we're just paying with one bill, but we've all contributed to say like fifty bucks a month. I don't know, child, right, I was just thinking that. I was like, okay, I want by December thirty. First that Tiffany says, like, oh my gosh, I had Like I mean, I hang out my sisters all the time, but I intentionally had at least twelve sister lunch dates with my sisters this year. My friend Cabrell, who's one of my besties. Cabrel is definitely my fancy friend, and he has a list of places that he like. Cabrel's a foody, so he has this list called Tiffany Eats. So we will go and like to this really nice restaurant and eat good, honey, because leave it up to me. Your girl doesn't have a sophisticated pallet, at least not at first. But cabro be like, girl, we're not eating there. Get yourself together, like and so we have these amazing places that Cabra, I'm like, how did you find this place? So I told Cabrell, yo, I want it on the calendar once a month, on the calendar, like every third Thursday of the month that we go out to dinner or we choose a place off the Tiffany Eats list. Because you are liabily to get you are liable to get in a car with Cabrel and end up in Delaware and we live in New Jersey. Hat don't mind driving. You're like, wellhe are we gonna eat to them? I was taking Rhode Island. You're like, what, But it's always fabulous, it's always fun, it's always a time, honey. But that's also a financial choice because how much does that cost? What does that look like? Because we take it, we take turns treating each other. Like I pay for one dinner, he picks for the next dinner. So what does that look like? You know? And so but creating a community around you to share. I want to do this thing. I have something called Sunday Supper that I try to do. We used to do a monthly, but now I'm trying to do at least every other month. These are my family, my friends, my neighbors. I invite them to the house. I hire this amazing cook, chef Nishe that used to cook for Jarella and I when he was here. And Nisha will make food for Sunday Supper. And it's just literally like a mini Thanksgiving every other month. But that cost what does that look like? You know? So these are the things like you know, But as I have a Sunday Supper, group chat and we'll talk through it. Because building community around your hopes, goals and dreams hold you more accountable. So those are three things that will really help you to make your financial resolution stick. Is that you have to make it bigger than the resolution. One right, just for recap, because you know I'm a teacher. Plan do review one right, identify your December thirty first self and what they want holistically, and match the money to that. Two, get you some help a guide, whether it's made whole, my new book, whether it's this podcast someone or is a collection of someone that have accomplished the thing you want to accomplish, Let them help you through it, whether it's digitally or in person or whatever. And then three builds community around that life you want to live, that goal you want and so they can hold you accountable and you can keep them updated on your progress. Okay, well, hopefully that's a helpful, child, because when we check in December thirty first, honey, I want to be like I went here, I did this, I did Oh child, it's going to be a time. I can already tell. My sister Tracy has already coined it. She said, twenty twenty four is going to be a banner year. A banner year meaning an excellent year. My business is already cooking with grease. The budget is stas making coin already. We started the month of January off strong. My personal life is looking cute, kai like my family, my friends super connected, and yeah for the possibility of love again, don't ask me questions. I just said it because he'd be listening, hey anyway. And yeah, I just think twenty twenty four is going to be a banner year, and it can be for you too. But it's intentional. These things happen intentionally, especially when you're grown. All right. So this is from Nelly from ig Hi Mandy, hope you well girl. I'm here too, But that's okay because.
Speaker 1: We don't stop. Everyone's always like, hey, tell me and that girl.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't because you know best that this is a Mandy question. But either way, hey girl, I'm just saying, Hi, yeah, question. I'm looking to interview very soon for a new opportunity at my current company, different department. It would be a promotion, and I have most of the required skills, plus finish my master's in twenty twenty one. Go ahead, girl, How can I go about getting the absolute max amount of money since they that have access to my salary history. FYI, the range is up to one hundred and fifty six and I'm at one twenty three currently. They require a salary expectation entry. When I applied, I said one fifty just in case they negotiated me. Damn, let me know if you have any tips. Loving everything you're doing, Thanks, Nelly, this is a good question.
Speaker 2: What do I want to start saying?
Speaker 1: Hot and hair?
Speaker 3: I don't know why. Oh no, let's do it again hot in here, So make sure you get all your coint.
Speaker 1: Okay right anyway, listen, Nellie. First of all, congratulations, because I feel like this is a really exciting opportunity and to work at a company where you can apply to another department, it's awesome. And I feel like when people think about quitting a role for a new opportunity, you sometimes think like you have to go outside the company. But I'm a huge fan of pivoting in place, like that's what I call it. When you find a growth opportunity right where you are, and your mindset is really important here and this is the thing where you know what you make and you're kind of letting that kind of get to you a little bit. I would treat this new department like another company. So anything that you would do if you were interviewing for an outside company, I would do, you know, I would go in there strong and establish, you know, your credentials and how excited you are for the opportunity. You've already mentioned a salary at least it was a sort of the top of the range. You mentioned one fifty. I typically would have said, you know, put you know competitive, or put zero or put one dollar, whatever it is in the field, so that you don't have to necessarily name a number. But I think that you should go in there definitely expecting to get paid what the value of the job is, especially if it is a promotion. You have most of the skills, like you said, and you now have a master's degree. So if you were thinking about the salary that you have now holding you back, this is a whole different job. You know, it's a step up, probably more responsibility. What may help you feel more confident going in and asking for your value is to find comparable roles at comparable companies. Those are the two comps. You want to have similar company and a similar role and see what types of salaries they're offering as well, and then again think of them as an outside employer who doesn't necessarily know your current salary, and negotiate from that space. It's not about what you're earning now, it's about the market value. Excuse me. It's about the market value of a candidate for this specific role that you're applying for. So don't go in there thinking one twenty three vibes. Think one fifty six. Okay, think hi. And you also know that you're not probably just making one twenty three. You also have to factor in your annual bonus on top of that, you know, so don't forget that you can still negotiate those types of things like your annual bonus amount. If they offer you equity at your company, you should still feel confident negotiating equity when you get to that point, like you've just applied now and you put in your salary expectation, which is cool. Now, the key is everything that's going to happen before the negotiation, which is you really want to make them excited to hire you. You already know the company, but what other strengths do you bring to the table, Like how well, do you understand the challenges the pain points of the team that you're joining. Do you have any connections on that team already that you can build on those relationships. You want them to think of you as a no brainer, you know, so that by the time you get to the negotiation or the offer stage, they want you so bad that when you come back to them and like, hey, one forty is cute, but what about one fifty six, that they're like, Okay, we really want Nelly, you know, so let's make this happen. That's essential for you at this point. But before you get there, you got to get your mindset right around. This is a whole different employer, even though it's with the same company, whole different team. You're not in the same role that you have now, You're not making one twenty three in this new role, it's a whole different ballgame. So start to think that way and don't get in your own way.
Speaker 3: I like that, And I'm just like as someone who employees and oftentimes typically will promote promote from within, you know, I like most employees employers are going to want to look within if someone is good, because it's like, you don't have to learn the company culture. I don't have to like kind of talk talk to you about like and teach you about what we do here. So know that, like that's a benefit, you know, to be able, you know, to looking to work internally. But also sometimes the problem is is like the prodigal son, right, the person who leaves and comes that gets like better treatment than the person who stayed. So don't be afraid either to like be like they seeming like they you know, they treat me like old news. Maybe I need to be made kneel again, you know, so if you're needing, if you wanted to make more, consider that too. But I just say this that I have people on my team that are just so excellent, Like are you bringing obvious excellence to the table, not just your your doing well, but you're visibly doing well. You know, there are people who like even now, there's a woman on one of my teams that I want to bring on over to the Bunjanista. She's on the Literature Academy team. Shout out to you a key, Shagar, we come and get you. She's amazing, Like, you know, it just started with you know, us contracting her to do a few things here and there, and I was just blown away about what she delivered. Logan was like, what we got to do to get her? You know? And she do project management, but she's just excellent. She's one of those people that, like, you know it just is going to see the thing all the way through. A Keisha works really hard but also smart and strategically. She's like a great team player, easy to get along with. She project managed project So her first project management thing that I had her do was she helped me with the with Get Go with Money launch. That was a huge project to try and trust to someone and it was like fifteen of us working on Get Go with Money and it was getting to be overwhelming for me to manage everyone. So I said, I heard through the grape vine because we used to have our league chats when I was the CEO of the Academy. I heard through the grapevine that a Kesha was interested in project management and just wanted to test it down. I said, well, I have a huge test for you. Try get good Money on the budgetista signe. And she was like, are you sure? I said, one all eleven people on the Gate Goes Money team are hard workers. So the project management component is not. You don't have to manage and motivate them. These are great people. I cherry picked everyone on the team, so that was one. You just have to keep us all organized. And she was excellent, and I was like, hold on, I want to keyscha for myself. So me and Tam had to tussle, like oh a good tussle. I won, and so yeah, so I'll be making her I mean, I don't even know if I kesa listen, but yeah, girl, I'll be making your offer soon because we talked about it already. But I'm just saying all that to say, when you are excellent, a space is always made for you at the table. So I'm sure you're bringing excellence to the table in an obvious way because it'll make people say we cannot lose you know, Nelly so good.
Speaker 1: That's such a perfect point to make. Yeah. I talked to a coaching client this morning, all the way in Australia, shout out to Nicole. It was ten thirty her time, ten thirty a m My time, and she's going through a similar thing. She's applying for a senior role at her company, and I had to remind her how incredibly beneficial it is that people already know her, like she has brand recognition exactly where she is, and she I feel like sometimes we take ourselves for granted at work and we forget like we don't or no one tells us. But there's so much value in having a great reputation colleagues wanting to work with you, that you can teach skills, you can teach how to do this, how to do that to a certain extent. Right, So if you're meeting most of the qualifications on all of them and people know and love you and will vouch for you, and you know endorse you, that is so key, and that gives you such a huge advantage over external candidates. So yeah, it's just about building your own confidence, Nelly, in that you have a lot going for you already understanding the inner workings of this company. And even though I want to know like twelve thousand more things about the situation, I just want you to go in again feeling strong. And to Tiffany's point about sometimes if you are missing out on opportunities and you're not being valued where you are, because that unfortunately is often the case, use this as a litmus test to see Okay, do I have growth potential at this company? And if this promotion does not work out or you don't get the support that you feel like you need, well at least you explore that option. And you should feel nose bounce of guilt for looking outside of the company, you know, for new opportunities. Sometimes they got to really fear losing you to really respect and value you, which is unfortunate. But it's up to you to you know, assert your value in that way. So I hope this works out for you. But I'm just saying, even if it don't, there's other paths ahead of you as well, and they don't have to be you know, feeling stuff. We're stagnant where you currently.
Speaker 3: Are, and we're back and blacker than ever. This is from as Merelda. Okay, remember Hunchback of Notre Dame but Disney movie. It was not that great anyway, but as Morelda was the part that Demi Moore played.
Speaker 1: What I just sorry I was. I thought I was gonna sneeze.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: No, I said, remember the Hunchback of Notre Dame. It was a Disney I mean, it's a real thing, but also it was a Disney movie. They had turned it into a Disney movie. And so anyway, as Morelda was like the character that Demi Moore played. She was like a gypsy. Anyway, I don't know. I'm just saying this. This lady's name is as Moreldo. As Morelda hit us up on She said, hello, I've got a question for b a QA. Please keep me anonymous or called me as Merelda, and I'm saying we call you as moreth. The girl as Morella said, I worked for a bank and recently received a reduction in force noticed due to my location. I was given sixty days to find another internal role as the bank is focusing on other cities for their hubs. I was never asked to move. They have asked me to sign a release, a release of claims to get a severance package. What does that mean? A release of claims.
Speaker 1: Basically like we it's where you agree that you won't try to claim that they owe you more money or that you know it would use wrongful termination. Like basically what you can't you take away your power to sue them or you know further any negotiations, and that in exchange for that you will get some severance.
Speaker 3: Okay, she said, I have several questions. Can you explain what a release of claims for health anyway? What relas of claims for a severence package means at a high level done Before getting the reduction in force, I was planning on taking a short term disability leave, but delayed it. It now not doing so sooner. However, I did end up submitting a claim and it got approved just before my termination date, so at least I don't have to work during this period and still get one hundred percent salary. I applied for an internal role before getting the release of the reduction in force and had an interview that went really well. If I get an offer, I can stay with the company. My question is how can I try to negotiate for a higher salary given my situation. I realized I don't have much leverage, but I am considering leaving the company because I have enough savings to cover me for months and I need to focus on my health. This is a lot to process. Any thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated. You two are the best.
Speaker 1: Who has MADA. Yeah, this is well, there's a lot going on here.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of your disability leave, even if it's not probably as much time as you wanted. Like you said, you have sixty days, so some chunk of that you're going to be able to take your leave, and then I hope you can focus on your mental health. I'm excited to hear that. I'm happy and relieved to hear that you do have some savings to cover you for several months in the event that you just want to focus on your health, which it sounds like you might, you know, need to, and that perhaps this is like a bit of a blessing in disguise that this has happened. But that being said, like if we take a part, if take away the need for like disability leave from mental health leave, just in general, like the whole like we're going to fire you in sixty days, so like here you go, do your best work for us still because we can like still fire you. And by the way, like sign this release for him, Like.
Speaker 2: I just it's annoying.
Speaker 1: I mean, in some ways it's nice to get a heads up, right. A common complaint for people who are let go is that it's like, Okay, tomorrow's your last day. Today's your last day. You got to go, and if you don't have any severance payment on top of that, it's like a huge slap in the face. So I would look really closely at your severance package. As a career coach, I love reading severance agreements. There's a lot to pick apart in a severance package. You want to look for things like non compete, Like you know, typically they'll have some language in there about whether or not they will have an issue if you move on to work for a competitor. It typically more applies to like senior positions, but not saying it doesn't exist. So I would look out for that. I would look out for what happens with your benefits, like you'll want to figure out your Cobra benefits and in your case, like even if you decide to take some time off in between roles, like having that healthcare coverage will be necessary for you, it sounds like, so you want to figure out when that all goes into effect and how much it's going to cost you to continue your benefits moving forward through Cobra. Any like if you have any equity in the company, any unvested stock, like what happens to that are you forfeiting it? Can you exercise any stock options or sell any RSUs before? What will happen to that those benefits if you do not, what will happen to your four to one K contributions? Any company matching? That'll all that should all be covered in your severance agreement. Let me see you can negotiate your severance like if if yeah, I mean for sure, Like there's always a case we made, Like, especially if their severance package doesn't fall in line with like industry standards, you can do. If it's a pretty big bank, then it's very likely that there are news reports of severance packages at similarly sized financial institutions. And I have helped even my brother, you know, make a case for more severance. And in his case, I was like, be sure to compare comparable sized companies in the industry and what their severance was.
Speaker 3: How do you find it?
Speaker 1: So news reports are really helpful. Also, sometimes if it's a public company, they have to put that kind of information into their quarterly earnings reports. Okay, so you may find yeah, but typically it's a lot easier to do if you work for a company that is like being reported on by you know, Business Insider by Bloomberg, by Reiters, whatever these news sites are. But if in the event that you're not, like my brother worked for a smaller sort of startup. It was less than fifty employees, and he collected information from like peers. So he had friends working at other companies like that he'd met through his work that he could check in with and ask because at the time, this was like the great tech layoffs of twenty twenty three or yeah, twenty twenty three that he was impacted by. So there, unfortunately were other layoffs that he could compare himself to. Well else can I say, oh, so the internal role? Okay, so how can you negotiate for an internal role a higher salary given your situation? Well, it's a reduction in force, so hopefully like that it doesn't reflect on and it sounds like it's location based, you know, it doesn't probably reflect on your particular like job skills or your contributions. So I would I wouldn't let that, you know, get you down. Like I don't even know if at an internal level, is the company so big does do they even know about this production and force? Or is it just impacting your team? Sometimes companies are so big and so global, you don't know what's happening in like you know, Tucson's office versus what's happening in like Boston's office. Like it can all be very like siloed, so that will depend. And if it's the case that they are not that aware of it, like I wouldn't highlight it for sure. But always, the best way to negotiate for a higher salary, including this situation, is to be looking for other opportunities so you can potentially have competing offers. Clearly, your current company, like your current salary isn't as much of a competitive like a competing offer because you both have an expiration date on when that salary is going to be over. But if you're able to go out in the job market, do some interviews, you don't even need like a hard offer letter, but at least the ability to say that I am in talks with a couple, excuse me, one or two other companies, and there are compensation packages they start at X amount of money. That can give you a jumping off point for a negotiation. Doesn't mean that it's going to be successful, but that's always my go to tip is the best thing you can do is to get competing offers. And if this sounds way too exhausting for you and you just want some time off, then I would say use those savings. That's what it's for, but obviously have a bounce back plan from when you want to get back in the job market.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Do you think like Harod being on disability for a little while it is going to help, it's going to hurt her own chances in the market, Well nobody.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, you can spend your disability what however you want, like I got. I have definitely had mandy money makers who have taken advantage of like taking a short term mental health leave, medical leave, whatever, because they got approved by their mental health practitioner. And I'm not trying to like put like I don't think she even said it was mental health related, or maybe she did, I forget, But anyway, but then you can do with that time what you want to do. So it can be job searching, it can be you know, laying around and just getting some good sleep and talking to your doctors and all of that. But no, it shouldn't necessarily hurt. I mean, I wouldn't go out of your way to mention that in a job interview, you can just say, you know, I'm taking a bit of a break right now to like, you know, sus out my options and I plan to you know, make a move here soon. And it's again about owning the narrative, like just own the story. Like I work tire for X number of years and I realized that I needed to spend some more time focusing on X, Y Z and I'm but at the same time, I'm very excited about what I could contribute to your company and what I can bring to the role. And just kind of say it with your full chest and don't apologize for it. Just own it and that can go a long way. Okay, all right, This question is from Regina from ig y'all can hit us Hit me up Brown Ambition Podcast on Instagram if you want to have your question answered on the show. Also Brown Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com. All right, Regina says, Hey, love all the content y'all do. I have been following y'all for a few years now. My question is that I have a four oh one K from a previous employer still sitting with the original brokerage. I opened it in when I worked there, which is t I AA. I am now with a new employer and I have a four oh one K through that employer through a different brokerage, which is Fidelity. Now I realize I should roll my original four one K into an IRA for ease. Should I just roll it over to my new brokerage? If I do this and then end up with another employer later in life at another brokerage, would I then be able to roll both my IRA and current active four one K over I would imagine I'd want to keep them together just so I don't forget where my money is. Lol. Thank you so much for your thoughts, and no, I won't sue my brown besties.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Regina.
Speaker 1: Regina's got her solid shakererow Ginos. Okay, but this is a great question, Regina, and I think your instinct is important, which is like for you, you would want to keep them together because you worry that you might forget where your money is. And that is a real concern here, right is if you have accounts in all different places, life is going to life. You may have several jobs over the rest of your career, and it can it doesn't seem like it's you know possible, but it is very possible to forget that you have some money left over. I myself have like fifteen hundred dollars or something like that saved in a four to oh one K that's now been rolled over into an IRA from a previous employer, and I still have not got around because every time I think about it, I'm like, yeah, I gotta do that, and then I just don't do it because I go to log in and I don't know my password, and I'm like, oh, I'll come back another time. And it's just, you know, it's a little bit there's friction there. It's not so simple. It still like takes effort to do it right. So and I'm like, well, it's not going anywhere. But what if I forget I had this fifteen hundred dollars. It's that's not a lot of it's not a little bit of money, you know, So we don't want that to happen, right, So if you think you may be inclined to forget, it may make a lot of sense to just take your previous employer's for one K and roll it over into an IRA that you you own, and then make that IRA your destination. For any future for a one K rollovers okay. So that means if you leave the job that you have now and you want to move your four to one K out of that Fidelity account, you already have this IRA opened with that that has your previous four one K already rolled over, and then you can just add that and then open up your new four to one K wherever your employer has their partnership with. Another reason it's great to roll it over is because your four one K through your employer it may not have all of the investing options that you want. They may have very limited funds, or the funds that they do have maybe more expensive than what you can find opening your own brokerage account like through a Vanguard or a Schwab. The good news is that I mean Fidelity TIAA. These are both platforms that should have a wealth of options for investing and low cost investments as well, So you could be good, you know, just keeping your money parked there in that account. But let's say the other side of this is, okay, I don't want to open an iray, even if I do designate that as my four to one K rollover pot for the rest of my career. I would rather just take my four to one K from my previous employer and roll it over to this new four oh one K at Fidelity. You can absolutely do that too. That takes a couple of like cons out of the equation. It means that you won't have to keep track of that four one K rollover I ray that you would open, and it just sort of gives you something to pick It gives you something to build on through your four to one K at your new company. So those are a couple of pros. But for me, it's really which option is going to work better for you. The simplest, which means, like I can just do one thing and kind of get this ticked off and I know that I'm not losing or keep losing track of the money that I have, is just to go ahead and roll that for a one K. Tell TIAA, here's where you can send my money. They'll roll it directly into your new employer provided for a one K, and you can keep it moving. You can keep doing that for the next job and the next job and the next job, and you have this like snowball of four one K balances that you're moving over. But it can't hurt to take a couple of extra steps to say, Okay, long term, maybe I should have my individual brokerage where I can roll these accounts over into and I can control what types of investing options I have. There's no bad answer here, there's just slight differences. And at the end of the day, it's up to you and what you're willing to do, how much work you're willing to put in, and how much effort, and it's yeah.
Speaker 2: It's up to you.
Speaker 1: But that's a great question, Regina, and thank you so much for sending that Again. You can hit us up Brown Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com or us a DM at Brand Ambition Podcast on Instagram if you want to have your question featured on the show. Until next time, bye,