Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this nine trend eleven nine trend yeah episode, long weekend trending episode.
Speaker 2: I am yeah, that is Miles. Oh yeah, oh yeah nine to eleven? Which nine eleven are we talking about? Were talking about nine to eleven here or the other nine to eleven when America helped Chile overthrow a Yen Day because I was also at nine to eleven.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we're not familiar with that one here, Miles. We never look at the Americans like guys, I thought you were gonna ask for were talking about how this weekend was a nine to eleven for Martin Short fans.
Speaker 2: Because it was I didn't even know until Anna sent this tweet through our thread.
Speaker 3: Yeah what was the tweet?
Speaker 2: It said, I will never It says when when they say white people have no culture, I will remember the day they mounted up from Martin Short.
Speaker 3: That is from YC on dot com.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know it's not It's a fucking tweet Twitter on Twitter, Twitter, bather, I am not bothered about Martin Short one way or the other. I feel like me is cilantro. I treated this discussion like like I do any Internet controversy, controversy where where it's like, yeah, like I can see how this could be distasteful to some people, tastes like soap to you.
Speaker 2: Oh hell yeah, that sounds terrible. I don't. I don't fuck with that. On the other hand, I don't think it's like that that big a deal. I don't. I don't want him to stop.
Speaker 1: Some of the tone of the weekend felt like he's he's been canceled. He's like there there must be implications that he's a shitty person or something. It really feels like the whole thing is just somebody being like, this guy's not funny, right.
Speaker 2: Like right, and absolutely everyone's like he is. Blair Sack, even mount Roll just say, what did Blair say?
Speaker 4: An enemy of Martin Short is an enemy of mine?
Speaker 2: Damn. Also, Sarah Sarah Sherman aka Sarah Squirm also put the disrespect Martin Short all day, every day till I fucking die hashtag Clifford.
Speaker 1: I feel like, yeah, I feel like people who are in comedy like there's gonna be respect on Martin Short disagree.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's been around for so long, he's had, you know, a lot of iconic roles. I'm I just I'm like one of those people where I get why some people might be tired of him or whatever.
Speaker 3: That's your own personal taste.
Speaker 2: Like, when I think of the things that I've been I've enjoyed the most for Martin Short has been Jimmy Glick, Yes, but also.
Speaker 3: Like you know, Clifford was cool too.
Speaker 2: There's like, I don't know, I think it's also kind of those things where like he really resonates with you when you're younger. Yoh, she kind of like has that energy of like kids comedian.
Speaker 3: But does it very well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's I really liked some moments from Jimmy Glick, and I really like the Harry Shearer Martin Short sketch about synchronized swimmers who like can actually swim.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's just very funny to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyways, uh so sorry to the people who getting their fucking yum yucked the fuck out and they're like, absolutely not. We will ride for this Canadian all right, what do we want to do first? We want to do our underrated or overrated.
Speaker 3: Let's do unders because I think our over is overlap.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, My under is the confidence of a mediocre boomer white man. I just opened volume three issue nine of Boston Brick and Stone Newsletter.
Speaker 2: H do you remember this from the pandemic?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: There, there's this guy has.
Speaker 1: A chimney construction company and he has used his money to create a small five page zine where he waxes philosophical on life and just like writes the most basic opinions like so let me just the front The front page story from this edition is basically that he just watched the movie Cheer or watched the Netflix show Cheer and thinks that Monica is cool. Like, that's basically it. He titles it, if you want to become great at something, do this. But his whole thing is just like practice makes perfect.
Speaker 3: Wait, where do you find this.
Speaker 2: In the mail? It just comes to my mailbox every day?
Speaker 1: So get Wow, Boston Brickingstone Newsletter, front page, if you want to become great at something, do this, And he connects the cheer team winning the championship year after year with his the philosophy at Boston Brick and Stone.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: But then page two Florida Man, the Unpredictable phenomenon. It's just you just found out about Florida Man.
Speaker 2: Oh, just being like, how can we always hear about these Florida man types. It's just the most basic ass shit is he reading?
Speaker 3: He cracked like nine years later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a very poor man's version of It's like if any random dad was like, I'm going to make a website, but he publishes it and sends it and like puts it in and he's in Pasadena, So I'm not that close to Pasadena. So this is reaching a wide swath of people just with.
Speaker 3: You holding it up.
Speaker 2: That quote unquote zine has the vibes of like Lyndon LaRouche like newspapers that they would throw a chew on college campuses.
Speaker 3: It just seems like what's in there, I don't even know.
Speaker 1: Stupid caveman trivia, unusual things you can make with a blender, tiki bars, last chance to get a summer cocktail, and this is all just written by him.
Speaker 2: He's not a good writer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's just an amazing testament to the ego of this fading generation that will not let go of power. And it's just like, yeah, no, everybody needs to hear what I think.
Speaker 2: I'm yeah right, as this person inevitably is like grappling with their own mortality. They're like, this is what I need to do. I need to ramp my output of my words to share that with the world.
Speaker 1: Boston Brick and Stone newsletter is going to be my legacy. I just had a feeling that God told me that I had to add something important to do.
Speaker 2: Feel he's driving crooner right right right. I have a feeling your legacy will probably be the chimneys that you restore, that will probably be standing long after for your physical body has expired. Aask a long time man, just be proud, be proud of your chimneys. Bro. Yeah, exactly, that's enough. What's your underrated, underrated goddamn fucking museum gift shop? Because I'm like, what, man, dude, some they somehow have the best version of the gift shop scam, you know what I mean of? Like this' is probably why Banks he mentioned it in his work, like exit through the gift shop. Like normally, when I'm forced through a gift shop at the end of like visiting a place or seeing something very interesting, like when you visit like a historical site or some shit, it's easy to be like to walk through there and be like I don't need a fuck I don't need coasters with a Catholic church on it for fucking thirty dollars. I'm don'na fucking need this. I don't need a T shirt that says whatever the fuck it is. But somehow, when you go to a museum gift shop and suddenly you're like, I guess I can pay sixty dollars for this T shirt because it has Basquiat art on its. We like it's almost like this store is sort of like you know that this is like fine art Chotski's right, and you're not dumb and fucking not cultured, so you should overpay for this baby Onesie, and it.
Speaker 3: Will tell people that you know what Keith Herring is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like a it's like an NPR tote. Yeah, baby Onesie.
Speaker 3: But like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Why you it's.
Speaker 2: Intoxicating the museum the art, specifically an art museum, because you're like, this is a high minded calendar. Yeah, and they also have free reign to pull.
Speaker 1: Instead of like just pulling clip art from the Internet, they are pulling from.
Speaker 2: Like the greatest art ever created. Yeah, and they probably have.
Speaker 1: Like good design minds like we're doing at the at the gift shop. So yeah, they they they have some good merch man.
Speaker 2: They're just like and I think it's just a part of me that like suddenly but it's just like weird how my brain shuts off where I'm like, this is all worth exactly what they say they are merely because it's like everything. Yeah yeah, yeah, like I bought I went to the road to see the Keith Harring exhibit and went with her Majesty and the Geist child and like, as a kid, my dad, you know, like always rocked like Keith Haring, like apartheid commentary kind of shirts and things, and I would like wear that as a kid, So there was something nostalgic about me taking the baby there and like you know, aiming him at the art, even though he's like what the fuck is he got it? Yeah, yeah, we're gonna get to the cultural appropriation part that isn't actually discussed in this exhibit, but we will save that for another time, right, But like it was, I don't know then immediately my defenses were just completely down, and I'm like, you need this onesie and I need the matching shirt that you won't fit into quite yet because you're still tiny, but we will put this on ice so then we could walk the earth together, proclaiming our.
Speaker 3: Love for art.
Speaker 2: So amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they know they've done it. They've done it.
Speaker 2: They have all right.
Speaker 1: Well, similarly, so for my overrated I similarly had a weekend of culture with my kids. We watched so my son is like really into navel stuff.
Speaker 2: Now this is the Star Wars one.
Speaker 1: My seven year old was really into Star Wars. I don't know if it's like the nautical terminology in Star Wars or what, but he's like, now, just like Friday is movie night, and he's like, I want to watch a military movie.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, oh no, And I was thinking about Top Gun, but it felt like I don't want to give my son's heart and mind to the military just yet.
Speaker 3: Because in your mind it's instant. It's instant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh it's so good, Like that is just the most potent cocktail that the military has concocted. And so I was searching and I found this movie Tiger Cruise, which seemed like a straightforward kids movie taking place aboard aircraft carre and the it's a Disney movie, right, like a Disney Channel movie, not a Disney like a Disney chant like a made for Disney Channel movie starring Bill Pullman and Hate Him Penitiary, Okay, And I was like, yes, this is good, Like it seems silly in a way that they're going to appreciate. I think aircraft terrors are are inherently interesting, like how they fit everything in there.
Speaker 2: They're fucking so big man whenever you see them, like put the the fucking killer machines below the deck and stuff, and how they organize it underneath you.
Speaker 3: Like, holy shit, yes it's crazy. I get why we don't have healthcare. There's a good.
Speaker 1: Paragraph in or a good chapter in U Ministry for the Future. It's just a one off where it's like somebody who is a naval veteran and is like talking about how if you just like put the organization the amount of like time and effort and focus and you know, just cracker jack like people running things well towards a good cause as opposed to war, like, you could really do some amazing shit. Anyways, So starts the standard Disney Channel movie. You know, they like get into hijinks. Hate Him Pennetiary the protagonists. Her entire conflict seems to be that she can't get past the phrase military brat, Like someone calls her a military brat and she's like, I'm not a brat, and instead of the person being like, oh no, it's just a phrase, she's like that is her central character. And there's a couple other There's like a drummer from New York. There's a dad who whose son is a sailor.
Speaker 2: But when he gets there, he finds out that he is actually a cook, and he's like ashamed.
Speaker 1: But they just like sneak off. They get into hijinks. Ten minutes in the day is over? Wait to the last ten minutes? Yeah, I mean like probably that's probably like twenty minutes in you know seven.
Speaker 3: Oh I okay, okay, go on, go on.
Speaker 2: So I mean I I'm compressing a lot in but like, but it's not like a third act moment no no, no, no, which is twenty minutes in.
Speaker 1: They cut to black, end of the day and they say September ninth, two thousand and one, and over the next hour, I watched nine to eleven happen with my five year old and seven year old who did.
Speaker 2: Not know what nine to eleven was, uh, like right at all?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I don't know, I had that thought earlier in parenthood, where I was like, how do I tell my kids about nine to eleven? And I was I hadn't come up with a good answer for that, so I was like, the Disney Channel is going to do it. And it was like that you see you don't see like the towers like come down. You just see like people are watching the news on the aircraft towers though, but people are crying. You're seeing a lot of smoking towers. My son asked how the guys who flew the plane into the building jumped off in time?
Speaker 3: Oh, oh, I know, Okay, let's let's it's time to talk about martyrdom.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: It really just took me back to I don't know the movie, Like there's this one scene where Hayden Pennjerry is like, uh, why do you keep watching this stuff?
Speaker 2: It's so depressing to the kid from New York.
Speaker 1: He's like watching the news and she's like, what do you keep How can you keep watching it?
Speaker 2: I just like find it such a bummer. The day after nine to eleven.
Speaker 1: He's still like watching the news and he's like, some of the people in my neighborhood worked in that building, right, girl?
Speaker 2: I knows dad was a firefighter. But then he like has the speech where he like, those towers they were just this is a direct one. They were just there.
Speaker 1: You know, I never got tired of looking at them. They were so big and cool at that part. The way the sun would reflect off of them. It's going to be so different. It's just not the same anymore. I don't know. It's just it reminded me of this like weird thing that we were in are still kind of in, where like we're just very like dumb when trying to like write about nine to eleven, Yeah, we haven't had like a very poignant commentary artistic commentary on nine to eleven. I guess, like you know, United ninety three. There's obviously that Mark Wahlberg Tonight Show interview where he talked about how it would have gone down different if he had been on the phone. Hell yeah, I would have bro But I still think the best nine to eleven culture is Tobias interested development when he's like talking about how his marriage is on the rocks, and Michael's like when did that start?
Speaker 2: And he says, I don't want to blame it all on nine to eleven, but it's yeah, right, no help.
Speaker 1: I think that's the best thing I've seen about nine to eleven because it's like it captures the deep core truth of nine to eleven, which was that everyone was like trying to get a piece to like adopt it as their own problem, and everyone kind of wanted to be a nine to eleven victim, and we were like clamoring for stories about people who were like almost on the plane.
Speaker 2: I hadn't realized. Like the Mark Wahlberg.
Speaker 1: Thing was him saying, like, I was almost on that plane that morning.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 3: It was like I was supposed to be.
Speaker 2: Flying back to LA but I flight private, so it wouldn't actually have happened, but I could have been then four weeks before we decided to go to Tiff instead. But yeah, we were just.
Speaker 1: We really, I don't know, wanted to experience the tragedy. We were like kind of glorying in the tragedy a little bit. And then obviously, like the darkest cultural legacy was shows like twenty four and you know, so many action movies and TV shows where it was just like being a brown person was automatically grounds for you are a terrorist suspect.
Speaker 2: Right, So I don't know it's just I was, well, when I saw you write about this, I immediately went on YouTube and just searched Tiger Cruz nine to eleven scene, and I couldn't believe, like I found myself in your position where it's like they're all sleeping. Sudden it's like like across the battleship and it's like frantic as shit, and then Bill Pullman gives this speech about the attacks. Everyone's sobbing, and I was like, this is probably the opposite of what you even wanted to even watch with your kids, because it's not even just acting like and then nine to eleven happened.
Speaker 3: It's like, no, this fucking movie's about nine to eleven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it becomes about like after being a straight up it's almost like a piece of experimental art where they just like sheered a Disney movie in half and just had nine to eleven happen in the middle of it. And I mean, yeah, true story where where they like the Tiger Cruise the real thing where like family members come and like stay on a aircraft carrier and like while that was happening, nine to eleven happened and they had to figure out what to do with the family members, but they just yeah, yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Is also funny too that one the one guy who's like the chef on this ship, like his dad comes down like it's nine eleven you're making cookies, Like it's like shaming back from making cookies.
Speaker 3: And then he's, wait, our uncle works in the Pentagon.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's doesn't make it bro the spoiler alert. Unfortunately, Well, uncle uncle Bob or whatever his name is, Uncle Bob, the only person that we meet who doesn't survive nine to eleven is like a tangential uncle of a guy who's a problematic asshole.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, yeah, I mean I remember too.
Speaker 2: Like to that point, like I felt like every reality show that was about like improving someone's life, like like an undercover boss or like home makeover type shows, there was all like they they would prioritize people that had some connection to nine to.
Speaker 1: Eleven, Like Brian by the way, was saying that, like I should have checked common sense media for that.
Speaker 3: All.
Speaker 1: All the descriptions of this movie were like fun, family, fun, patriotic, was the was the only thing nine eleven.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was starting starting to like google around nine to eleven movies and be like what what do we had and that is a description like that comes up. It's like nine to eleven like this one is a trenchant meditation on loss, patriotic like that for whatever reason, like when it when it comes to nine to eleven movies, it's that that becomes a value that we keep in mind when when we're reviewing.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I feel like someone hit us up. They're like, we do we do TV reviews on our website.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, totally. I need to. I need to check out their website. I'm gonna check it at my screen time too. Like again, I don't know if it's I don't know if it's problematic or off the whales, but anyway.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it's not. They listen to our show, they must be flawless.
Speaker 3: Don't listen to the daily zeitgeist.
Speaker 2: It's for socialist cowards who don't want their kids to know about nine to eleven. Which brings me to mind it's a little bit of both American basketball exceptionalism.
Speaker 3: Ye a bit overrated because you know, the US they did not do good.
Speaker 2: They crashed out in the Semis to Germany and in the Feeble World Cup of Basketball, and a lot of American fans could not wrap their heads around this. We're calling for blood in the streets. Yeah, like Steve curtisn't know what he's doing, like I think he does.
Speaker 3: Who are these people anyway?
Speaker 2: But just looking at this stuff as Steve Kerr and Eric Spols, Yeah, like the guy who their assistant coach is the guy who is like acknowledged as like the fucking whizz of the NBA right now, right, So.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that says.
Speaker 2: But like when you look at the statistics, we never the US never beat anyone ranked higher than a seventh seed, so it was clear that there was there was like limits to what we were able to do anyway.
Speaker 3: And plus these teams play for a lot longer together.
Speaker 2: But I just think, like I think more people should have used this result to say, Wow, other countries in the world played basketball and know how to play well, yea, than this thing of like, ah.
Speaker 5: What the fuck BA, we're just seeing We're seeing a thing like repeatedly happened repeatedly that like it's it hasn't traditionally been the way it is and so it's not like how our mind about basketball is built.
Speaker 1: But where teams who have played together for a long time, are better and are more like like who have like we see it in the NBA with like teams that are like kind of built from the ground up and like aren't just like trading for big stars at the last second. Are are doing better in the in the championship, you know, with Golden State having this dynasty and right, but like this is a great example, like it really what better example then, And obviously this isn't the NBA. This is like a different style of basketball, but we have way more NBA talent than any other team. But it's it doesn't matter because they just like know how to play together. They know exactly like how the other person's gonna cut, so right.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's a little more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the unspoken la communication is much better because their instincts are better anyway, So that was just nice to watch. Shout out Germany and the old old Dennis who came through big truth. But also just on nine to eleven, just the overrated it's like the nine to eleven coverage that absolutely abandons any commentary about US foreign policy, like it's expected, but like, come the fuck on, we really are were still talking about this in a vacuum.
Speaker 3: Like and how could this have happened?
Speaker 2: Right? How? What?
Speaker 3: What what we do wrong for nine to eleven to happen? Yeah, and no one is talking about it.
Speaker 2: And that's why I was like interesting too when a lot of people point out that nine to eleven is also when the US helped, you know, a military backed coup in Chile, uh to ouster president Allende, who was you know, democratically elected socialist president for Pinochet, which a lot of the new right fash love to talk that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he's probably made a good a good mark on history.
Speaker 3: And like you can and then you buy extension you could, like even with.
Speaker 2: That, like even talking about the like situation in Chile, you have to talk about the School of the Americas where the US was just training people to kill like for you know, their their Western interests. And yeah, with nine to eleven, it's just still like, oh man, can you believe it?
Speaker 3: The skyline will never look the same way?
Speaker 2: Now, what about all this stuff that was going on in previous administrations that was radicalizing people like that whole time?
Speaker 3: But no, we'll just we'll keep it to Tiger Cruise and things like that.
Speaker 1: Tiger Cruise, that's right, it does end with them stretching a giant American flag across the aircraft carrier, uh like whatever deck, and that kind of solves everything, and then hidden penetiaries like Dad, I don't need you around for moral support.
Speaker 2: You need to go to war. You're the back. So uh anyways, let's uh, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about some other news stories. We'll be right back and we're back, and should we talk about Drew Berrymore America? Sweetheart, Drew Barrymore.
Speaker 1: It's I don't know, man, I think our anti labour now so sweet?
Speaker 2: But yeah.
Speaker 1: She just announced that her show, creatively named The Drew Barrymore Show will be returning to.
Speaker 2: TV regardless of the strike. Has a good exclamation, explanation, excplamation, exclamation, She has a good explanation, miles. She claimed that the new season of the show will be in accordance with the rules of the Writer's Guild of America.
Speaker 1: And sag after straight. How you do that exactly? No details on that necessarily, but it will be just can you guys just trust Drew Barrymore.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, why are you doing this, Drew? Why?
Speaker 2: Because she wants to simply quote be there to provide what writers do so well, which is a way to bring us together or help us make sense of the human experience.
Speaker 3: The fuck does that mean?
Speaker 2: And provide what writers do just means you're gonna just gonna scab or like what is this? How?
Speaker 1: And yeah, So her answer to like, what the fuck? So how are you gonna do a thing when writers are on strike is like, we want to do what writers do, which is so I mean that you are just trying to like put writers out of business.
Speaker 2: Well, we will have the producers do the writing now and they are not in SAG or are they not part of the WGA?
Speaker 3: Is that I mean I'm assuming that's what she means.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, which is just I just really wild because she's like obviously, like the guests aren't gonna talk about struck work during the show, but the WJ is like, uh, here's something interesting.
Speaker 3: The Drew Barrymore.
Speaker 2: The Drew Barrymore Show itself is a struck show because it's only one of two of these daytime talk shows that use WGA writers, Right, So, how I want to I just want like I feel like she also is using like a lot of psychiatry like therapy speak in her like answers, where.
Speaker 1: She's like, I take full responsibility. The buck stops here, and I'm still doing this shit. I don't care what anybody says.
Speaker 2: I hope for a resolve for everyone as soon as possible. We have navigated difficult times since we first came on air, and so I take a step forward to start season four once again with an astute humility.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, you're still whatever.
Speaker 2: The WJ is like, yeah, okay, well we're gonna be picketing the fuck out of this show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see how that goes.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Yeah, it's uh.
Speaker 1: She she was like she left or you know, she decided not to do the MTV Movie Awards, remember at the beginning of this strike back of the spring, and like that was the right move. But like maybe her agents or her like management are like, all right, so you did one for them, Now it's time for one for you. And that one for you is getting your show back up and running so we can go from fucking money here.
Speaker 2: Drew baby, Yeah, I mean go, yeah, that's that's not the kind of solidarity we're looking for. Drew. Yeah, but I guess solidarity with the agents and networks.
Speaker 1: It does like I don't know that just her, her whole vibe is like kind of self empowerment, like woo woo. And I feel like this does get at the inherently selfish or not not that it's inherently selfish, but that it can be selfish, that it can always be bulked back around to just being selfish and being about like whatever you want it to be about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because a lot of that language is used in service of like.
Speaker 2: I'm going to do whatever I want to do, though, right, Yeah, it's like it might not be the best for everyone.
Speaker 6: Actually, Yeah, and yeah, so like rather than looking to self empowerment, maybe let's look to each other a.
Speaker 3: Self empowerment, not collective. Let's empower myself.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: All right, other bullshit on the labor front, So Grinder just basically they told their employees that they would all have to move to a new location and start coming into the office, like relocate to a hub city and work in person two days a.
Speaker 2: Week, or be fired.
Speaker 1: And they have since that time lost about forty five percent of its staff. And yeah, this is something we're seeing kind of in a in a lot of different places, but this specific instance is kind of fucked up because they were talking about unionizing, and people think that what is happening is they basically, when it seems like the majority of employees were interested in unionizing, they started putting these ownerous demands in place that would make it hard for people to continue working.
Speaker 2: There, right to be like, oh, okay, you want to do that, well, then now come here or lose your job. And like, oh, look, just like that, we lost forty five percent of our staff. Maybe that's a good thing, but like, like we've talked about this a lot about how you know this is not a good Like a lot of employers are like, yikes, I kind of fucked up with that return to the office mandate, even though my company was on fucking cruise control for the last couple of years, like still making money over like just constantly.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it does it does feel a bit suspicious.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: They so grinder In particular, their shares are up this year while everyone was still working remotely. Research has shown that employees work actually suffers when they're forced to go back to the office, but employers are just very dead set on getting that extra bit of control putting the toothpaste back in the tube. And it seems like it's not it's not going well for them. But with regards to the labor side of it, the Community Communication Workers of America is the union that they were planning to join. They've claimed that this policy was actually an unlawful retaliatory measure made in response to a union drive at the company. Their current CEO, incidentally, was pretty unpopular already due to his extreme conservative political tweets, which included supporting Michael Bloomberg and Trump. So the CEO of Grinder, Yeah, it's a Bloomberg supporter who's like, I.
Speaker 2: Think Trump's got some pretty good ideas.
Speaker 3: Just hear him out. Hear him out? Yeah, really quick. Okay, Yeah, there's a Oh I wonder did he delete some of his tweets? Oh?
Speaker 2: Interesting, he deleted a lot of them. Yeah, I guess wasn't willing to say some of those chests out. But yeah, I mean, it's just I don't know, like, it's just a very it's hard to look at something like this and not see it as just an absolute intentional way to like purge like your workforce that they see as like not like people aren't gonna who aren't going to be subordinate to like these kinds of demands, especially when they talk about how they're like a queer friendly workplace culture was just very rare in the tech industry and now it's sort of like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, take it or leave itt assholes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I have a fifteen year lease on this office building, So what the fuck do you want me to do? It's very very Uh yeah, he had previously supportive remote work because he was seeing great results from it, which makes the you know, allegations that he was just pulling this shit to try and purge the workforce. Uh right, well pretty credible.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I mean I still don't like I get, I get like the psychology of the boss that just thinks, like this is what you need to do because I want to be able to lord over people every day, so I feel powerful because that's where I derive my sense of self from. But also like, try and be a good capitalist here, your fucking stock is up, line go up, So don't fucking don't take away their freedom to like work how they want to. And I think it's a huge thing that people are missing with the pandemic is like Before it didn't seem possible to like demand to work remotely if you could do a job that could. But now so many people that were able to or sort of like this is I don't see a reason to go back, and the arguments aren't compelling. So the only argument they have is, well, then you want to fucking lose your job, right? Yeah, Okay, yeah, I don't. I guess it is just real estate shit. But it's it's crazy that it keeps coming back to that, that they just keep their their unable to walk away from this idea. I'm sure there's many mentions because also too they that probably is in like creating a like a deeper sense of like worker power when they don't have to go into an office.
Speaker 3: And then they're like, but I don't know what they're doing behind.
Speaker 2: My back, and you know, so, uh shout out to those of us that can still work remotely, and God, please fucking figure out figure out if you just figure out those commercial leases.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? Can someone just forgive those No, No, we're.
Speaker 1: Going to take one more break and then we're going to talk about Ashton and me lacunas Uh and their apology video from over the weekend and what they.
Speaker 2: Were apologizing for.
Speaker 3: You you'll be right back.
Speaker 2: And we're back.
Speaker 1: And you may have seen an apology video from Ashton Kutcher and Melacunas where you know they're they're looking direct to camera, sitting side by side. You can tell that they're serious because they're dressed like they just showed up to help you paint your apartment.
Speaker 2: He's like in a dirty white T shirt. She's in one of his T shirts. It would appear.
Speaker 3: That that collar is way too big.
Speaker 2: It looks like they were naked, and their lawyers are like, you have to wear clothes.
Speaker 3: For this apology. I'm like, fuck, just give me then, okay ready, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Like the camera started like they were mid countdown from the camera crew and realized that they were naked and just had like throw shit on. But yeah, I think that maybe the strategy was like to humble themselves before the people. But anyways, let's talk about what they were apologizing for.
Speaker 2: As we talked about last week.
Speaker 1: Danny Masterson was sentenced to thirty years to life for drugging and raping three women, and it was revealed over the weekend that Kutcher and Mila Kunas had penned letters to the judge praising his exceptional character, and the content of the letters concerned how Masterson avoided recreational drug use, like as if he were on trial for possessing a dimebag of weed, not drugging and raping people.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, letters read terribly like the one line from Ashton Kutcher when he's like talking about how like this Danny Maschins was a quote, a role model with exceptional character. He said, anytime this is from the letter quote, anytime that we were to meet someone or interact with someone who was on drugs or did drugs, he made it clear that that wouldn't be a good person to be friends with.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, this is written in the language of a middle schooler.
Speaker 2: Like again, the perception of that people that do drugs. It's like, we all know people do drugs are bad, and he was one of those people who's like, don't do drugs, don't be near people that do drugs, therefore.
Speaker 3: Good I it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a little it's a little uh, it's a little hard to read, especially when you're we're talking about like this was part of the sentence. It's like they didn't know he was convicted of these crimes, Like they knew that. And then they're like, yeah, so he never did drugs in front of me. Wait what huh? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe this is once again proof that our vilification of drug uses a bullshit moral stricture that is used to make horrible men more powerful than everybody, because I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean pop always. Yeah, like how people talk about well, Trump doesn't do drugs.
Speaker 1: Right, Trump doesn't do drugs and just say no. The Danny Mashison's just say no guy. I actually don't know enough about Danny.
Speaker 2: Mashison's drug policy, right.
Speaker 1: It's it's just funny that like they were, they were just like this guy doesn't like drugs for a trial.
Speaker 2: That had nothing to do with him using drugs.
Speaker 1: But that from the Kutcher letter, it says, I do not believe he is an ongoing harm to society, and having his daughter raised without a present father would be a tertiary injustice in and of itself, which just the use of tertiary. Yeah, first of all, like s a T word, I think that means like a third level injustice.
Speaker 2: So who's saying.
Speaker 3: Who's the primary injustice, who are the.
Speaker 2: Primary and seminary injustices. The primary injustice is the is that Danny Masterson goes to jail or that he is a perpetrator of sexual violence that you're continuing to ride for. And then secondary is that Danny Masterson has to account for that. And then tertiary that his daughter then yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a very definition of tertiary.
Speaker 1: Maybe I don't think he knows the definition of injustice or vice versus yikes. Man, there was a bunch of backlash to those letters tofort Grace was even trending on Twitter purely because everyone was praising him for not keeping praise onto an abuser and attempting to uh attack the credibility of the victims.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and yeah that there.
Speaker 2: So in the in the speech, in the apology video where they're dressed like they're painting an apartment, they despite what they're just rolled out of bed look, might suggest they are reading a statement that has clearly been lawyered. Oh yeah, to the point of life, to the point that they themselves as actors couldn't even convincingly perform the lines to camera like it felt like so canned. It was interesting the pace of the video is really weird because like Ashton Kutcher is like really seems like contrite and he's like I don't even know, like why, like we obviously wouldn't do that. And then like when it was time for me Lacunas's line and then her energy was like never have we done this? Our careers are about, you know, standing up and advocating for victims. Okay, now it's your line, Ashton, and like it was just a very yeah, felt very contrived, but yeah, it's then this sort of led to a wave of a bunch of people just being like, let me share a story with you about this person or this person, and it kind of kind of went all over the place over the weekend. Yeah, AK forty seven, Ashton Kutcher not a good guy.
Speaker 1: Turns out in a lot of respects. Maybe maybe fewer Dorito's commercials in their future. The one, the one that I saw that was pretty wild is a clip from Punked where they're about to punk Hillary Duff when she's fifteen, and he's like Hillary Duff is in Lizzie McGuire. She also has an album at She's gonna be in a movie called Cheaper by the dozen with me, and she's one of the girls that we're all waiting for to turn eighteen, along with the Olsen twins.
Speaker 2: You know, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: No, I don't. I don't know what you're saying. Please get away.
Speaker 2: In a movie with her? Like that's fucking horrifying. Yeah, I mean a lot of like the old clips that surface, you just realize how much just how like violent, like just casual talk would be on television. Right. Like there's another clip of like Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher on the Rosie O'Donnell Show, and she's talking like I was fourteen and he was nineteen when I had to kiss him on screen for that seventies show. And then Danny like like uh dared him for like ten bucks or something like to put his tongue down my throat for that kiss.
Speaker 3: And like they're all like laughing. And then but like Rosie O'donnald's like uh huh.
Speaker 2: And then like Ashton Kutch's like, come on, if it's like your girlfriend, you're gonna kiss with tongue because like she's supposed to be my girlfriend, it gets like very uncomfortable. But like when you look at it through the lens of like fifteen twenty years ago, people were just were not willing to sort of pick up on how like nuanced like the sort of like how much rape culture is in our like the way we were talking even in a way that was perceived as normal or innocent, and you're like, dude, no, you're talking what are you talking about a fourteen year old kid? And then yeah, anyway, there's also I was reading an article about this in LA magazine and they it's they did kind of like a like a chat GPT kind of flub in it where like they talk about Ashton Kutcher and then it says co star Kushner wrote of Masterson.
Speaker 3: Like what Jaron Kushner, Now, are we okay? Whatever it is?
Speaker 2: But yeah, that is definitely uh well, we'll see where that backlash ends up.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean, like, god, what a fucking terrible look.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's not just them.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of people like Giovanni Ribisi, Deborah Joe Rupp.
Speaker 3: It's like a ton of wrote wrote letters, wrote rote letters. But these are the ones that I think getting right.
Speaker 2: It's not oh yeah, Giovanni Ribisi is Yeah, yeah, it's not clear. I know Kushner or Kushner Ashton Kutcher has been not I don't know, Like you can't really find a quote that says either way, Like the people say that, like it's like fifteen years ago or something.
Speaker 3: He said he was open to learning more, but it's not like an avowed scientologist.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, no, but Danny Masterson, what is the scientific Yeah yeah, okay, all right, well those are some of the things that are trending on this Monday, September eleventh, twenty twenty three. We are back tomorrow with the Who last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Bye bye,