Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Call it collective speculation. Are the Commanders ready to hire a new head coach? They're the last team with the vacancy. Have that for you? Coming up? Former Cowboys head coach now on loan from Football Night in America, Jason Garrett. We'll stop by as well more phone calls. Got a lot of poll questions today eight seven to seven to three DP Show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show. If you're looking for some gifts, fifty percent off all T shirts in the store Danpatrick dot com. It's our garage sale. And also you can pick up some Tailgate moonshine just in time for Valentine's Day. Eight seven seven to three. DP Show operator Tyler standing by to welcome you to the program. And Seaton O'Connor also, good morning if you're watching on Peacocks. Seaton recap our poll questions from hour one, and then we'll get to the collective speculation on the Commanders.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we put up there, which was a bigger move for the forty nine ers signing Brock Party. Excuse me, drafting Brock Party or trading for Christian McCaffrey. Right now, it's close to anything. Is about fifty five forty five McCaffrey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd have to know all the inner workings of that contract and what Carolina picked up and how they were able to stretch this out with signing bonus and how if it you know, how it benefited them under the salary cap. Brock, party's obvious because mister irrelevant and what he's getting paid, and you don't have to extend him any time soon. You can wait two years if you want. What else do you have seen?
Speaker 4: Uh, let's see.
Speaker 2: We're gonna go with.
Speaker 3: Sorry, hold on a second, my computers give me trouble.
Speaker 2: We're gonna put up there.
Speaker 3: If your boss says that your company you will only go as far as you take them, is that a compliment?
Speaker 2: Absolutely or absolutely not? Well, Jerry Jones had this to say about Dak Prescott. That's why I brought it up that I think he thinks or meant it as a compliment. But it's not, because Dak did take you as far as you went, and that is you didn't get to the conference. Titley, what else do you have, Seaton?
Speaker 3: Is your How about we go with this is February great sports month, yes or no?
Speaker 2: No, No, it's not good. There's a lot of sports, yeah, but it it's.
Speaker 5: Weird because there's a lot of basketball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's not meaningful basketball. Right. You have the All Star Game, you have the Super Bowl, you have the Pro Bowl, Pro Bowl festivities. Yes, yes, yes, yes, but no like a war. I mean, I like August better than I do February, and you have the biggest sporting event in February. But I still like August better. Yes, ton as week of.
Speaker 6: A sports month, as February is. Just think back, not too long ago, all the Super Bowls were played in late January. It's only in recent years that it's still at least you have this. So you didn't ever have the Super Bowl in February before. Put that in your pipe.
Speaker 2: And smoke it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I liked that they did that. I'm glad they extended the season. I pop another two weeks on for me.
Speaker 2: Well, they're going to they're gonna they're gonna put another game in there, super yeah, and then then they'll have to put in another bye week and then maybe we have that day off that's built in with Presidents Day on that Monday. All right, what else do youm s.
Speaker 3: H If you could go to either Super Bowl Week in Las Vegas and leave Sunday morning or go to the game, that's a fun one we do this time of year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is a classic. But this is a little different because so you can either go spend a week in Vegas leading up to the Super Bowl, all the hoopla and events and parties and so on and so forth, but you have to leave Sunday morning, or you could fly in Sunday morning and just attend the game and go home. You get a ticket, and this is you know, a little different of a town for Super Bowl too.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, there's no other town, no offense, no, yeah, you know. It's people get caught up in wanting to go to the parties and you're like, are you sure you want to go to the Commissioner's party. It sounds like could be fun. No it's not. It's not the good food. But you know, you get to see a bunch of executives. You're like, hey, wow, hey did you see the commissioner?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I did. I remember my wife wanted to go years ago. She goes, can we go to the Commissioner's party. I hear it's great. I go, it's not any fun. And then we go there and I said, what do you think? And she goes, no, it's not any fun. So yeah, it's about getting in. It's a big yeah.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, hey, do you get to go to the Commissioner's party? I got no? Yeah I did. I got in. I scored a couple of tickets. What else do we have? Seatnel Connor.
Speaker 3: For pole questions? That's about all of that. Yeah, that's about as many as we got.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, well you can dial us up you want to weigh in on the pole question. Collective speculation has to do with the commanders. Are they getting closer to hiring Dan Quinn? Now these aren't reports yet, these are just this is collective speculation on those in the know, the NFL insiders here, but former Falcons head coach and the Cowboys defensive coordinator. Although I don't know if that gave him any leverage here in the offseason, considering how Dallas ended their season, and you're the defensive coordinator and you allowed forty eight points at home with a quarterback making a first postseason start. That's not what you want to lead with there. Hey, you know got that defense of the postseason. Oh, how'd you do well? Aside from the green Bay game? You know, Yeah, that's basically it the green Bay game. Yeah, Pulm, there.
Speaker 5: Might be a bigger topic here, dan Quinn checking my notes. The defensive coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys, he's a hat backwards guy. He does the pencil over the ear head, set hat backwards. You can't be a head coach in the NFL and have your hat backwards. And before you throw Matt Patricia in my face, that actually proves my point. You can't be. It's like you dressed the part a little bit. I don't think you can go hat backwards and be an NFL head coach. Al Shanahan, I think you used to.
Speaker 2: This is very Colin cowherdish of you, Paul.
Speaker 3: He's a big anti hat backwards the he's not elite because he wears a hat backward.
Speaker 5: Yes, this goes back to the Herd critiquing Ken Griffy Jr. Years ago For the hat backwards. But Tony Romo was a hat backwards guys with the Cowboys. He would never be great. There's some validity to it. But you can't wear your hat backwards for your an NFL head coach.
Speaker 3: Okay, Carson Wentz he was terrible. You know why hat backwards or as hatback.
Speaker 2: That's most of it.
Speaker 5: And the injuries and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, other things, Ancil every things, but hat backwards.
Speaker 5: Now, the coordinator, you could do it because you're not in front of the media.
Speaker 2: Joe Walton, the former Jets head coach, I think he might have been a hat backwards at times. How'd that work out? Probably not that well. By the way, speaking of the Jets, man, there are a lot of drama behind the scenes. What was it Diana Racini in The Athletic talking about all the things going on behind the scenes with you know, Aaron Rodgers, Zach Wilson, the owner, the coach, what a mess. At one point, Robert Salah, according to the article, was concerned about the leaks in the organization. And I guess he got all of his assistant coaches in a room and he said, give me your phones. I want to check and see who's the leak. That's what you're worried about. Also, you know, my problem with the Jets, My biggest problem with the Jets, and I use other teams as a comparison. When you know, the Cleveland Browns lost their quarterback, they still played good football. They made it to the playoffs. I want to see what you do. You lost Aaron Rodgers. I got it. You still had a really good roster. At least we were told you had a really good roster. Then all of a sudden, Aaron's not in there, and it's like, well, the offensive line's not good, or you know, they don't have a passing attack. But the Cleveland Browns were able to salvage this. Who's the other team lost their quarterback, but they still The Vikings lost Kirk Cousins still played well. That's where my biggest problem with the Jets is that Nathaniel Hackett is the offensive coordinator and when he was asked to be the offensive coordinator when Aaron Rodgers wasn't in there, failed miserably. They should have at least gotten some kind of quality play from the quarterback. And then you sprinkl in a really good defense. You got a really good running back, you got a couple of good receivers, one elite receiver. Shouldn't that be enough to compete? And they didn't but Nathaniel Hackett is back next year because Aaron Rodgers is back. Aaron Rodgers his fingerprints on the organization were terrible, the people he brought in, you know, big disappointment there. But the Robert Salah, according to the report, wanted to do research on, you know, Marquee coaches who lost a quarterback during the season and what were their records, because he wanted to say to ownership, hey, you know this happened to Mike Tomlin or this happened to Bill Belichick, and look what their record is, you know, trying to save his So he had a job that he's trying to save during the season instead of doing his job during the season to save his job. But what a mess. And then I guess now this according to the article that the Jets were upset. The Giants did didn't get as much criticism as the Jets did. This is this high school stuff. Yeah, pulling.
Speaker 5: Twenty twenty two, the Jets had the twenty ninth ranked offense in the league. Twenty twenty three, they had the twenty ninth ranked offense league. Yeah, Wilson was a quarterback both years. That's nothing really changed except for you plug in a higher end quarterback with expectations. The defense, though, did go from the fourth ranked offense in the league in twenty twenty two to twelfth rank, which is still respectable, and it kept him in a lot of games. You saw there was a stat this year that some of the top quarterbacks in the league had their worst game of the year against the Jets.
Speaker 2: Yes, but that should have been enough, just like the Cleveland Browns or the Vikings, to keep you competitive, and that did. That's why what Kevin Stefanski did with the Browns when they lost to Shaun Watson and took him a while and then they got Joe Flacco, but everything else sort of they lost Who's my Chubb? They lost Chubb as well, and still we're a playoff team, playoff caliber team, you know. So that's where the Jets failed miserably. And I have to point my fingers at the offensive coordinator. Plus Zack Wilson, according to the article, thought that Aaron Rodgers was going to be his big brother, that he would be able to help him, and then, according to the article, Aaron ghosted him. Yea, it was like he was getting his surgery and then ghosted Zack Wilson, and I think Zach Wilson thought, oh, I got Aaron. I'll use him as a sounding board to get through this. And you know, they also point out that it was true Zach Wilson did not want to play anymore for the Jets because he didn't want to get hurt and then hurt his opportunity to play for somebody else. So that was reemphasized. They had over thirty sources on these stories. Yeah, Seed, if you.
Speaker 3: Were going to ask yourself who was in a better spot right now, we just had this one sent in Zach Wilson or mac Jones.
Speaker 2: I would say mac Jones still has a chance to start for the Patriots if they decide that they're not going to use that third pick on a quarterback. I mean, Zach Wilson. Who's going to hire Zach Wilson. And even as a backup quarterback? Do I want him as a backup quarterback. I don't want a backup quarterback who thinks he should still be starting. And it is a young guy, Yeah, Paul mac Jones.
Speaker 5: You feel like he saw him play some pretty good football at a couple points in his career. Zach Wilson, It was like, he would have one good pass a quarter. Yeah, I thought you were just waiting for any type of consistency in any game. I mean he would have one drive and then you know, eight bad drives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had a couple of games though. I just thought they should have been fair to him. Let him play now, just let's see what he has. And even if you know what he has, he's better than Tim Boyle, He's better than Trevor Simeon, Like, you know, what are you doing? Put him out there? Let play stop? You know, hey, we're gonna put you in. Now, we're gonna take Yeah, I put you in and take you No, And what a dysfunctional organization?
Speaker 6: Yes, don What about personality of Zach and Mack kind of similar to a Caleb where they've been known to whine and throw fits and complain even if they're in not such great situations, they have reason for some frustration. It does seem like that they kind of have maybe some personality flows with how they handle pressure.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's pressure, I mean it might be. Mac Jones reportedly was annoying in practice with Belichick. He kept saying why, you know why, but he was trying to understand. Zach Wilson came in and I think everybody he looked the part of a quarterback like that. I think that's the problem with a lot of people looking at that in the draft. And I said, well, did you watch him play? I think the toughest game was Coastal Carolina and he didn't look good. But he rolled left, threw back right fifty yards at his pro day and next thing, you know, oh my god, did you see that he did? He did the Mahomes thing. You roll left, throw back right sixty yards. Oh my god, he can play.
Speaker 5: I'm like, okay, can you throw a seven yard out pattern?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 5: Can you throw hit a hook pattern?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And didn't have a great I mean, I don't know. It's once again you're going, all right, did you watch him play? I'm sure you watched him play. Are you convinced that that's enough of a sample size? We're taking quarterbacks now based off one year? Now, Trey Lance, it's one year. I think Dwayne Haskins rest in Peace based off one year. Zach Wilson off one year, And that to me is where I need a little bit more of a sample size. I need to see the highest of highs and lowest of lows and are you playing against quality competition? And if you did, then how did you fare? I just think those things are so important that I need more than twelve games. Mitchell Trubisky had one season, Bears went all in on him, and that would worry me. Like Drake May I've got I've got a career there, Caleb Williams, I have a couple of seasons there.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, Jayden Daniels played at Arizona State. So I'm going to look at Arizona State and then I'm going to look at LSU and you know, see what what the flaws are? Did you improve on anything? And I think that's that's going to be important with these teams who are going to be taking these quarterbacks. What give me your give me what your sample size here is of? You know, good football? Quality football? Yes, Mark, think.
Speaker 9: About how many more mistakes GMS would have made if quarterbacks can come out after one year. Christian Hackenberg and all these guys like, hey, he'd be the number one pick in the draft right now.
Speaker 5: You know, yeah, Pull, I know it's very early in the pre draft season, but at the Senior Bowl Michael Pennox junior hand sized ten and a half is okay, that is a statement measurement.
Speaker 3: First, rain proof right there, right there, you can playing Canada with those hands.
Speaker 2: Tried and true.
Speaker 5: I draft his hands.
Speaker 2: It wouldn't be great if somebody says, hey, why'd you draft him? Oh he's got big hands. Yeah, he's got big hands. Rock Purtty small hands, by the way, had a hard time, you know, holding on the football in the rain.
Speaker 5: Michael Pennix walk around no gloves on all through winter, showing them off at the senior ball.
Speaker 2: Check these babies out. Look at my hands. Hey, can I see your tape?
Speaker 4: Nah?
Speaker 2: You don't want to see that, and look at my hands. Let me hand you my tape. Oh okay, Hello, let's go to break. Oh sorry, Marvin, I wasn't pointed at you. You just having to be here.
Speaker 7: For it, all right.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we'll talk to Jason Garrett on loan from Football Night in America. We'll get to more phone calls as well. It's eighteen after the hour Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Paulli Foosco here with Tony Fosco.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 4: Of course you know us as the.
Speaker 1: Host of the number one rated show and all the sports talks, the Paully and Tony Fusco Show.
Speaker 10: Yea.
Speaker 6: Now, the suits at Fox Sports Radio gave us this ad time because they wanted us.
Speaker 1: To tell you how great our show is.
Speaker 9: Why Yeah, Instead of us doing that, let's just let our millions of fans.
Speaker 2: Do the talkin Yeah, play the tape you don't.
Speaker 8: Know, crap about four O crap, whoa, whoa, whoa whoa.
Speaker 4: That's the wrong tape, wrong tape. Just forget that.
Speaker 8: Look.
Speaker 1: Listen to the Paully Tony Fusco Show on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever.
Speaker 2: You get your podcasts. NBC Sports surrounds the Super Bowl week with comprehensive coverage from Vegas. Certainly our show is There, Pro Football Talk with Mike Florio, Chris Sims, Michael Smith, and Michael Holly on brother from another Matthew Berry's Fantasy Football Happy Hour as well, all originating from Vegas throughout the week. Yes, Paul, guess what I just heard?
Speaker 5: You know the lovely and talented Kelly Rippa. Yeah, what is it Live with Kelly and Mark Mark and Kelly, Yeah, with their husband. They're doing their show at the same place we are.
Speaker 2: Oh, well, maybe they like to have me on. I would. I'm sure they would. Maybe we could have Kelly on our show. That'd be fantastic for everybody. All right, Yeah, we'll keep it eye on that, all right. Thank you. Jason Garrett, Football Night in America's studio analyst and a three time Super Bowl champ with the Cowboys head coach with the Cowboys back on the program, Good to have you. When you were head coaching the Cowboys and an assistant would be asked by another team to interview, how does that process work as the head coach with one of your assistant coaches?
Speaker 10: You know, I think you have to try to facilitate it as best you can. I don't think the system is a great system, because there's no doubt there's some distraction that's going to come with it. Particularly you know, these guys are usually coming from playoff so you're playing these playoff games and guys are getting ready to do an interview, but you carve out some time, you know, I thought the guys you know in Detroit seemed to do a good job with it. You know, hey, you got three hours on Saturday, you got a couple hours on Friday, that kind of thing. But you know, the tricky part about it is you have to prepare for the interviews and you can't just go in there cold. You're not going to get the jetob So you have to allocate sometime in an already packed week. When you're a coach, I mean every minute is occupied from you know, the start on Monday morning till getting ready to go on the field on Sundays. So to carve it out that time can be a little tricky.
Speaker 2: What still bothers you about the Lions laws, Well, they had it, you.
Speaker 4: Know, they played so well.
Speaker 10: You're up twenty four to seven with thirty minutes to go, you think that, hey, you know, we should be able to we should be able to seal this deal. You know, there were a couple of moments there, a lot of conversations about Dan Campbell going forward on fourth down in two occasions in the second half.
Speaker 4: A big part of.
Speaker 10: Their success all year long has been his belief and his aggressiveness in his players and they've responded, well, we'll never be able to measure the residual impact of that and how that helped them get there. Having said that, you know, with seven to go in the third quarter and you're up twenty four to ten, and you have the opportunity to make it a three score game, that's the one that I'm like, huh, you know, three scores is hard psychologically. Two scores you say, okay, we got to stop. It's twenty four to ten. Now we go drive. We're back in it. And that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 4: You make it. You make it seventeen points and three scores.
Speaker 10: All of a sudden, they're saying, hey, we got to score fast, we got to stop them, and if they score again, there's all these metal gymnastics that you play. So for me, that was an opportunity, even though aggressive this has been good for them, that was an opportunity to kick go up by three scorers and then the one at the end. It's hard for me not to try to go for the tie. But when all that stuff starts to unravel, you know, sometimes those decisions you make as a coach can help your team. Now if they go the right way, and they make those fourth downs. You know, they get the result that they want, But you can't lose sight of the fact that they didn't play great defense in the second half of the game San Francisco going up and down the field, and I think that was the difference as well.
Speaker 2: This may sound obvious your answer, but I'll still pose it. If you're the Niners, are you more concerned about Patrick Mahomes or Kansas City's defense?
Speaker 10: Well, ultimately, you're more concerned about Patrick Mahomes because what he's done in big moments in big game game is really unprecedented in my view. He always seems to make the play to get him to the games and then to win those games. So ultimately, I think it will come down to him. But your points, well made your questions a great one. They've played so well on defense, and you think, God that Steve spag Nolton with a lot of young guys on that defense really good on all three levels. But you know, you and I have talked about this before about Kansas City. I've been so impressed with how they've gotten to this point. You know, they flopped around a lot this year, and you know they were looking for their identity and I had a chance to do that playoff game a few weeks ago, the Real Cold went against Miami, and you know.
Speaker 4: They just had a look in their eye. The head coach did, the quarterback.
Speaker 10: Did you know the different guys we spoke to, and it just seemed to me a great example of a team saying, Okay, who can we trust?
Speaker 4: Who can we trust on offense?
Speaker 10: We can trust fifteen, we can trust ten, we can trust eighty seven, we can trust four and everybody else. If they get a chance to touch the ball, that's fine. And it's amazing how when you do that those other guys start to respond. And to me, it's been a masterclass in coaching by Andy Reid to win the way they've won the last three weeks, the last couple on the road, and to your point, the defense has a lot to do with it too, but I love how they've embraced their identity on offense. It's been fantastic.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Jason Garrett Football Night in America analyst. This whole game manager thing has taken over with Rock Purdy and I look, I might be somebody who led the charge on this. Years ago. I called Alex Smith a game manager. But I didn't mean it as a negative. I mean, you were there with Troy Aikman. Was Troy a game manager?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I agree with you. I mean, that's what quarterbacks are supposed to do. You're supposed to be great decision makers. Throw the ball to the right guy and make the kind of decisions that help you win games. And if that's a game manager, great. It used to be game manager and gunslinger. Roy is managing games and Brett Farr's a gun slinger, right, you know. And and when it goes sideways at the end of a game because the gun slinger is trying to stick a ball in there and it gets tipped up in the air, you know, he was aggressive, he was ripping it in there.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 10: I'd rather try to win the game, and that's what Troy was able to do for us. I absolutely love Rock Purty and and the story of hey, he's the last pick in the draft, fascinating.
Speaker 4: I love all that.
Speaker 10: But this guy has played so well for such a young guy to walk in. I get it's a good environment. I get they have a good team. Kyle does a fantastic job. I understand all that. Look at the record of the backup quarterbacks in San Francisco not named Jimmy Garoppolo the last few years ain't real good. So a lot of guys can't simply just go in there and play. This guy's played at a high level. Sometimes people have an agenda when they evaluate, and that always gets them in trouble. Just watch what he's done, Look at the production. He's been impressive, and he made the he made the big plays in the game the other day with his feet to allow them to win that ballgame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. That's what I think is lost on people that he he does. He doesn't have to do a lot of crazy things or be a gunslinger or uh, you know, take a risk because of the talent around him. And when he does, you know, when he's forced into make it a play. He did make three plays with his with his legs, and and he looked quick when he was making those plays. So I don't know what role that plays in the super Bowl there, but it feels like, and I remember saying this to a couple of analysts, he might not get credit unless he wins two super Bowls like he wins one. They'll go yeah, but hey, with that team you know, like Brad Johnson or Trent Dilford. Well, with that team, if he wins his second one, then they'll go all right. I think he's a pretty good quarterback.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think that's an unfair standard. I really do.
Speaker 10: And if you really watch how he plays, if you think about what the game manager would be described as, it would be one two three throw it, one two three, throw it, one two three four five throw it.
Speaker 4: The guy's always open. All you're doing is making these decisions. Watch the plays that he makes. Watch the touchdown he throws to Ayuk where he drops back, slides this way, slides again and sticks the ball in the hole between the two defenders. Obviously the plays that he made with his feet at the end of the game. So this guy makes these kind of sneaky plays. He doesn't value. When he walks in the room, he looks like the paperboard. We get all that. You know, he's not six four two twenty, you know, shot out of a cat and when he runs it and throws it, we understand that. But watch him play football. He plays at a high level, and he has and he's young. This is year two. He's really impressive.
Speaker 2: Can you help me understand what Jerry Jones is saying about Dak Prescott. So he says, Dak has done nothing to change my mind about any promise for the future. I think I've said that we will go as far as Dak takes us in the playoffs. Remember that we'll go as far as Dak takes us. And that's how far we went. We will go as far as Dak takes us. Okay, this is how far he took you. You didn't even get to a conference title game. So it doesn't he may mean it as a compliment, Jason, it doesn't sound like a compliment.
Speaker 10: Well, let's go back to your question about the Chiefs. Why are the Chiefs dangerous? They got an amazing quarterback, certainly the best of his generation, and they have a fantastic defense. Right, Why are the forty nine ers in the big game? A lot of weapons on offense. Quarterback play is really good. They got a fantastic defense. So something I learned a long time ago playing for the Cowboys on those Super Bowl teams is teams win. Now, you have to have a great quarterback. Quarterback play is critical, but teams win. People forget that. The teams in the nineties with the number one defense in football. Right, we also had Troy Aikman, Emmett Smith, Michael Irvin, unbelievable offensive line, and go on and on and on.
Speaker 4: Teams win in the NFL, and so.
Speaker 10: This idea that it's all on the quarterback to be able to take your team all the way NFL is too good.
Speaker 4: You can't do it. John Elway is probably the best example for me. For years.
Speaker 10: He took the city of Denver and went like this and put him on his shoulders and took him to the playoffs and had these bad Super Bowl losses. When they got better around him, they played better defense, they got Terrell Davis all of a sudden, you know, John Elway's John Elway. So you know, the idea that you're going to put it all on the quarterback is unfair. Dak didn't play his best ball against Green Bay. We all know that the defense didn't play their best ball either. So teams win. When the Cowboys are able to win some of these critical games as a team, that's when they're gonna get That's whe're going to go where Jerry Jones Watson to go.
Speaker 2: Would you read have Travis Kelcey or Rob Grinkowski.
Speaker 10: You always do this to me? Why do you always do this to me? Co Spelicheck versus Brady. I wait until the end of the interview to bring this up.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 2: So who would you rather have? Travis Kelcey or Rob Grenkowski?
Speaker 10: I'll take Travis Kelcey just by a hair both of them. You know, they're all time grace, their top five tight ends. Ever to play both those guys so.
Speaker 2: Tougher to defend if you were if you were running the defense here defending Gronk or Kelsey.
Speaker 10: You know, for for me, I think it's more challenging to defend Kelsey just because he's a little bit more elusive. I think he's probably a better route runner, and so you know that matchup is hard. But it's the same problem you put Gronk over there. His size, his ability to just go get a ball is really unprecedented at the position. So you know, they're both both in metal players. Gotten into my head on take Kelsey. That's probably because he was eleven for eleven the other day in my most recent memory.
Speaker 4: But they're both incredible.
Speaker 2: Would you rather have Tom Brady or Troy Aikman?
Speaker 4: Wow? Now, you're killing me.
Speaker 10: I think Troy Aikman is the most underrated quarterback in ball. I don't think people realize how great this guy was. And he's obviously a dear friend of mine, we had lockers next to each other for eight straight years. But I just think he's an amazing, amazing football player. I've never seen a guy put a team first more.
Speaker 4: Than he did.
Speaker 10: If you think about that, you know the temptation to make it all about me, make it I'm the quarterback of the Cowboys, cash in, make it about my stats, make it a He made it about winning. And if you think about his postgame interviews, anybody who watched him do interviews for years would say, Troy Aikman going on a broadcasting are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: I mean he's like boring. Well, he was boring on purpose.
Speaker 10: It was all intentional because he was leading the team and he was trying to limit the distractions, and so his leadership was rare. And then his ability to go out there and play at the highest level in the biggest moments was incredible. Now Tom Brady comes along and you say Troy won three, Tom has won seven. You know the facts tell you that boy we got it. You know, Brady's is the first face we chisel on Mount Rushmore. But so, okay, I got into my head I'd take Brady. But Troy Aikman could do anything that Tom Brady could do. In my opinion, he's one of the all time greats.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think you're being fair to Troy when you say, you know, he had all these weapons, and I don't know. He was probably able to game manager, which maybe was a negative to people, but he did he manage the game. He had Emmett. You, I mean, why wouldn't you share the wealth with everything that you had there instead of being one dimensional. Let's throw it forty times you guys led with Emmett and then you know you needed a big play. You had IRV that you know would be there to get a first down. So I think to suppress your ego at that position with that team is even more challenging than what people realize, no.
Speaker 4: Doubt, no doubt. And it's a different time.
Speaker 10: It's twenty five thirty years ago now, and the world's crazy now with you know, everything so immediate and everything so much in your face, just with how the media is. But it was wild back then too. I mean there was a lot of attention given to that team and he led it so well. And I agree with what you said. We always led with Emmett, but sometimes we led with Troy.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: A typical Troy Aikman.
Speaker 10: Game was he's fifteen for nineteen at half for one hundred and eighty yards and two touchdowns, and then he finishes nineteen for twenty six, you know, because we throw it six times in the second half and we run it more. Yeah, So it wasn't always run, run, run, you know, Troy fit and sometimes it will start with the pass and then over the course of the game we just wear them down by do them both.
Speaker 2: I like to make you sweat a little bit.
Speaker 4: You do a great job. Why they call you the best in the visiting.
Speaker 2: And you thought coaching the Cowboys was difficult. Come on, come on, and great to talk to you, and thanks for joining us. As always, Chase, I always enjoy it.
Speaker 4: You're fantastic. Have a great day.
Speaker 2: That's Jason Garrett, NBC Football Night in America's studio analyst, and of course Peacock will be on display at the Super Bowl. Our show Pro Football Talk with Florio and Chris Simms, Michael Smith, and Michael Holly brother from another Matthew Berry's Fantasy Football Happy Hour. All to that coming from Vegas. Coming up next week. We'll take a break, phone calls in the on deck circle.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's Mike McDonald coaching the Seattle Seahawks. Not to be confused with Mike McDaniel and Josh McDaniels. We're gonna make those mistakes coming up next season. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. We'll get to phone calls coming up here.
Speaker 5: We also have Mike McCarthy, Sean McDermott, We got it. There's a lot of them. It's got to put all together.
Speaker 2: Sean McVeigh, Right, we got a mic problem, Matt LeFleur. No, that doesn't factor it now.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's mc McDaniel, McDaniels, right, McDonald, McCarthy, McCarthy, McVeigh. There's a pattern here. You go into go into a meeting with an owner. You put the make in front of your name. Wait, I think your last name was quinn. Yeah, it's McQuinn, Dan, Dan McQuinn. Jason in Detroit, Hi, Jason, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hey guys, I finish taking a call. I'll try to tap you right away, just like you said. Marvin yesterday talked about the Pistons, you know, he kind of stumbled upon them kind of dominating the league for almost four years there. So I'd say also, the worst loss for us wasn't eighty seven. It was eighty eight when we had again like we had the thing one basically game six, and we lost and then went along to lose in Game seven when Isaiah had his ankle. Her But anyway, my question was, everybody has their own goat now. So I want to nominate Isaiah as Mago because he beat Magic Bird and Michael all in their basically their primes and owned the NBA in a way if you really look at it, like Marvin was kind of, you know, saying, beside a couple of little things here or there, we kind of almost ran the league for a little while there.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, thank you, Jason, Isaiah'll be happy to know that you're his goat when it comes to Detroit Piston basketball. Yeah, they got through everybody, eventually got through the Celtics and then trying to hold off the Bulls for as long as they could. Had the Lakers. They were a formidable team, you know, Hall of Fame coach and man, did you have a deep roster? Carrie in Kansas City? Hi, carry what's on your mind?
Speaker 7: Hey? Dan? First time, long time six three, two twenty. I know February is typically a pretty terrible month for sports fans, but this year may be the exception. Not only are my Chiefs in the super Bowl, but isn't this the month when the Yukon Alumni magazine profile on Marvel print comes out?
Speaker 2: Yes it is Carrie. Yes, I don't know when the magazine comes out that features Marvin as a former Connecticut Husky. Yes, Marv.
Speaker 9: I was told in like two weeks the issue will be out.
Speaker 2: So they're gonna wait until after the Super Bowl because they don't want to compete with the Super Bowl.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they were like, Marvin, go to Vegas, you can even come back, all right, and then we'll release it.
Speaker 2: And then oh, man, was Marvin so nervous that day. He was just and then we're being asked questions about working with Marvin and like, you know, did you see Marvin, you know, being a contributor and what what are his strong traits here? I'm asking all these questions. I go, I don't know, just a good dude, Like, I don't think that's going to look good in print. I don't know. He's just a good dude. What does he do well? What do you love most about Marvin? H this is fun having him here? Yeah, well it's it's like when I asked Marvin and what what was his marital advice for people? And he goes, I don't know, I got nothing. Yeah, I got nothing marital advice that you want to pass on. I don't got anything.
Speaker 9: And I'm okay with being a good dude, Like, oh, what does Marvin do well? He's a good dude. I could care less if Oh Martin's a good board ops. So yeah, Mary's a good dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah you're good to say that you're a good dude.
Speaker 4: You don't have to worry about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know about running the equipment, yeah, yeah, I was thinking of a good dude on that. Yeah, I'm checking. Sorry, the Yukon magazine story.
Speaker 5: Is it a feature story or a cover story?
Speaker 2: Do we know that yet?
Speaker 5: Because I look at past the past covers. You know, gino Oriama, they've got like world leaders on their cover. Some woman there, former professor, cured a disease and she made.
Speaker 2: The coverry Rebecca Lobo's probably been on the cover absolutely better.
Speaker 3: Maybe an upper right hand corner mentioned or you know how sometimes they do.
Speaker 2: The uh, the main article and then you know also this.
Speaker 5: Last cover was a dog. It was an actual husky dog.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, not a person. All right, we will let everybody know. We'll actually put the magazine on the website and you'll be able to read along. Maybe we get an advanced copy in here. Mark Uh, John on a yacht, John on a yacht is back? Hi?
Speaker 8: John man? How are you sorry?
Speaker 2: Where are we? John?
Speaker 8: We're in Saint Thomas Ue words round speak.
Speaker 2: Oh righty. I love the bb I.
Speaker 8: It's the aw It's heaven on Earth. I raised my boys there. It's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Okay, so what do you have for me? Well?
Speaker 8: First off, I heard what Chritzy said when I hung up last time. I was not high Poalutan at all. I was simply, you know, describe me at the point where I was. I'm just the captain of the yacht. I don't own it. I get to enjoy it as much as I can.
Speaker 2: But yeah, called you out there, John, I was just jealous.
Speaker 6: And now you're in Saint Thomas or another lovely destination.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know. One to ask him where he was, Todd Now, he did say he was on a yawn. So what's your question, John?
Speaker 8: The question is would I think about ten or twelve potential coaching vacancies next year? Can you see Jeffrey Laurie going to the Super Bowl hanging out with the owner saying, you know what a lot of these guys have interest in just to say Bill and I don't want to be stuck next year trying to figure out if I got to hire Jim Moore Junior or some other guy. Can you see Lauri coming back from the Super Bowl saying, I'm not going to risk losing bella check next year. I'm going to pull it now.
Speaker 2: I think that they back channeled, and I think they were looking at maybe bringing in Bill to replace Nick Sirianni. For whatever reason, they decided they were going to stay with him, even though they know they got rid of coordinators. After they lost coordinators going to the Super Bowl, I would have thought that they would have pulled the plug. Yes, yes, I have.
Speaker 3: An early what we learned, well, even captains of mega yachts get colds.
Speaker 2: Yeah I wouldn't. I wasn't going to say that John on the yacht, don't you blow your nose? But living that yacht life? Whoa, now, let's go. What are you shipping