Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour.
Speaker 2: On this Tuesday, it'll be busy Steve Levy on loan from the mother Ship ESPN NHL play by play, a commentator also host as well. Reggie Miller was on the call for Victor Wembin Yama. And you know when they start throwing around names like Shaq, Wilt, Chamberlain, David Robinson, you've done something really well. Wemby joins David Robinson as the only Spurs player with a forty twenty playoff game. He's also the first player since Wilt to have at least forty to twenty in his Conference Finals debut. He's also the youngest player in NBA history with at least forty to twenty in a playoff game, and he's just getting started at age twenty two. Don't lose sight of Dylan Harper, Ron Harper's son. He had twenty four points, eleven rebounds, and seven steals. Last time we had a performance like that, Larry Bird did that back in the mid eighties in a playoff game for the Celtics. And I brought this up first hour, but we should be reminding you again of this the youngest starting lineup in NBA Conference Finals history. Harper's twenty, Castle's twenty one, Vassals twenty five, Champagny is twenty four, and Wenby is twenty two, so their average age is twenty two years, two hundred and forty six days. The average age of Michigan's title team this year was twenty one and a half years. All Right, the eight seven to seven three DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com Twitter handle a DP show Dylan. What kind of poll question do you have for me for the final hour of the program?
Speaker 3: All right, Dan, Well, we've got a couple we're gonna be talking some hockey, so I figured we may as well ask the people if Canada is at all rooting for the Canadians.
Speaker 4: M I'm gonna guess mixed bag there. Yes, is Buffalo cursed? Yes? Or no? The city of Buffalo.
Speaker 2: Oh. I don't know how you would clarify quantify being cursed. I mean, you lose games, you haven't won titles, that mean you're cursed. You're just unlucky.
Speaker 4: It's an intangible little bit. I think it's a feeling.
Speaker 2: Who else is cursed?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: Do you feel like there's a franchise that's cursed, like the Cubs were supposed to be cursed. But but what did they do to break the curse? They just won a championship. I don't think they did anything. There was no blood letting or sacrificial lamb or anything like that.
Speaker 4: The Red Sox the blood letting, Kurt showing sock.
Speaker 2: Kirch if you believe that it was actual blood ketchup letting, yes, yes, Marvin having.
Speaker 6: The Buffalo Sabers won a Stanley Cup before they.
Speaker 2: Were in the Stanley Cup finals, I know against Dallas.
Speaker 6: Oh Bride's Maid, never the bride. Then yeah, I don't think they're cursed. They just haven't been good enough to win a championship.
Speaker 2: Well with the Buffalo Bills cursed and they lost four in a row.
Speaker 6: No, they just weren't good enough as the other teams.
Speaker 2: No curse, All right, well you're no fun.
Speaker 6: Oh I'm sorry. Yeah they are curse.
Speaker 4: You lose four Super Bowls in a row, that's you're pretty cursed.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but you're pretty good to get to four Super Bowls. Yes, Paul, the Cubs did have.
Speaker 7: A legendary curse back in nineteen forty five, the last time they had made a World Series. There's a place called the Billy Goat Tavern. I know you've been there, Dan, It's great. The owner was William Ciannas and he had a a goat that was at Wrigley Field, and they kicked him and the goat out because as the goat was bothering the fans, he's supposed to put a curse on them. And they didn't go back to the World Series forever.
Speaker 2: Well, they made a mistake of letting the goat in to begin with.
Speaker 7: No, the goat was good luck, they thought, and some stafford kicked out the goat. Okay, they went on a cold streak after that.
Speaker 2: Now the Cavaliers are getting seven and a half to night against the nick On Wednesday, the Spurs they are getting six and a half against Oka. See more thought provoking radio coming up to bring in. Steve Levy handled the studio hosting duties last night with Messia and Kevin Weeks and leaves his back on the program. Who should have we been rooting for last night?
Speaker 8: So me personally, I have a soft spot for Buffalo in my heart. Going to Suni oswego Upstate New York, all my buddies are Buffalo guys, and it's just it's just a great sports market. I think it surprises people the Buffalo Sabers for the lack of success. They're always like top two in local TV ratings for their hockey team. And even when the Bills weren't good, dan when they were five hundred, like the old Rich Stadium was still filled every single every single game. I just feel so badly for those people. Look, Montreal hasn't won in forever either. It's great to have new Blood Original six. Everybody knows the logo, but there's a part of it was really rooting for Buffalo and they were the superior team last night.
Speaker 9: They deserved a better feit.
Speaker 2: Do you think Canada is rooting from Montreal.
Speaker 9: No, it's not like that in that country.
Speaker 2: It's weird.
Speaker 8: I can't explain it. The Oilers make the Cup, you know, final, two years in a row. Everybody in the East can't stand them. And when Vancouver got in against Boston, Montreal and Toronto hate them like they are not a United country when it comes to hockey. But the province of Quebec, the scene outside the arena there when they play is like no other in the NHL, and to be you know, the last couple of years got to go to Edmontony with Messia, which is pretty cool walking around. And if Montreal could get back to the final, going there with PK would be pretty neat. And so you know, I'm about the experience, Dan, I really root for the cities in which mess PK and I will have the best time.
Speaker 2: That's how I of course you did. Yeah, Well, how good is Carolina?
Speaker 9: They're really good.
Speaker 8: They're an interesting sort of odd team, Dan, Like, you know, they're the best team in the East. They were in the regular season and people want to talk about the easiest path they've had, you know, Ottawa and Philadelphia and the sweeps. Well they earned it. That's the idea, right, That's how it's supposed to be. The regular season should matter. You're the best team in the East, you get the easiest path to the Cup if you will, and so but they don't have This is really odd. Like they're a great team that they're a great collection of talent. I'm not sure they have any Hall of Famers on the team. I'm not sure they have any superstars on the team. And the other teams remaining. You could make the art the three other teams remaining all sort of do you know, so it's odd, but collectively they are a great team. Rod Brindamore is a great coach, and in a league where home ice advantage is virtually meaningless. Uh, I think Carolina has a real home mis advantage.
Speaker 2: But then you have the ABS as well, and the scoring outburst that they've had compare. I know we're jumping ahead, but the ABS to Carolina very chalky.
Speaker 8: You know, the two of the two top seeds there, and that's those are the easy choices to pick, and that would be a that would be a fascinating series. Look, I'm not sold on on Colorado's goaltending. They've they've flipped looped back and forth much like Buffalo did. And it's really you know, Messier reminds us this all the time, Like to this point, all the games, all the action.
Speaker 9: They're only halfway there. They're halfway.
Speaker 8: You know, you still gotta win two more series, and so you know, Jared Bednor has some decisions to make. And Wedgewood and Blackwood, we make fun of the last names and everything, the similarities there, but I'm not sure they know and and maybe they can ride both guys, but we'll have to see about that. So but that has to be concerned. And and Cale McCart doesn't look to be himself Dan and that, you know, that's probably the biggest fact. They're all world bordering on all time defenseman. When his career has done, I mean, he's he's got all the credentials to this point. If he has a long career, he'll be one of the all time greats in my opinion. But he didn't look right against Minnesota that I've had a lot of time off here. He was still okay, he was still pretty good, but he wasn't dynamic cal mccarr who can really take over a game by himself. So I think the point is Colorado has some questions, and I don't really have any questions about Carolina. You know, Freddie Anderson is the goaltender. When he's been available, he's always been really, really good, and he's good right now.
Speaker 2: Talking to Steve Levy. ESPN's coverage of the Western Conference Finals starts Wednesday, seven thirty eastern with leaves Mark Messier PK subin Game one at eight eastern. Does Messia tell stories when you guys aren't on the air.
Speaker 9: He's really good off the air too. Yeah, we have a good time.
Speaker 8: He's such a fascinating guy. Like the way he breaks down. It's like, it's not TV sexy. It's not sexy in our business right because it's the neutral zone face off, which you can't highlight. But in Messier's mind, that's what wins hockey games. It's the first pass out of the zone, the little things. It's not the flash and dash. And so Mark always pays such great attention to the detail and the stuff inside the dressing room to embrace the pressure buffalo. For example, last night, you know, they really struggled at home, so they tried to flip it. They stayed in a hotel at home, which a lot of teams don't do right early on in the playoffs, maybe the final. And mess told the story that in ninety four Mike Keenan offered the Rangers the same exact thing, and when they came back from Vancouver for Game seven, and mess said, no, we want to be home. We want to get away from the rink. He said, as a group, he decided. I'm sure that was Messier deciding.
Speaker 9: For the group.
Speaker 8: When you're the greatest living captain with sports. You get to make those decisions, and so that's his thing. Embrace the moment. If you're afraid to speak about it, you probably can't win it too so but it's cool to be around. I do pitch myself every once in a while, you know, I get a random text at one am and you're watching the Calgary power play here, and I'm like, and I.
Speaker 9: Want to call my buddies. You know, Mark Messi is.
Speaker 8: Asking me if I'm watching the Flames power play, you know, in November at one am.
Speaker 9: So that's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Better Captain Messi a or Derek Jeter.
Speaker 8: Listen, only one and more C on their sweater or jersey if you mess to me again. Arguably the greatest captain in all of sports. I gotta think he's the greatest captain in hockey. I'm gonna go messy. I'm sure Gina did a great job too. But baseball and hockey captain c seem to be very different. You don't see a lot of captain type activities in baseball. In hockey, it's it's a massive deal, as you know, especially you know in a place like New York. But he was the captain everywhere. He was the captain in Edmund Today after Gretz left see for the captain of Vancouver for a short stint too.
Speaker 2: The face of the NHL, like we're talking about Victor Weinbnyama at age twenty two, is becoming the face of the NBA hockey has periodically had faces, nobody quite like Gratz. But who is the face of the NHL like.
Speaker 8: Today or you want to see in like five years from now, like because today I think it's probably still Sidney crossbying Alex Ovechkin, But in five years from now, maybe three, Macklin Celebrini what he's done in San Jose. So he's over there at the at the Worlds for Canada and he's wearing the captain C and they added Sidney Crosby later, and you know, celebrity still got that on a sweater. So I think it's Macklin Celabrini. It's been great for the league, Dan, what he's done. He's put San Jose back on the map kind of thing. The Sharks really exciting, really fun to watch. And back in the day when you and I were growing up, Dan, the Shark tank was the place to be like that might have been the loudest arena in the NHL.
Speaker 2: Mitch Marner's doing some fun things.
Speaker 8: Yeah, don't say it too loud because they might hear you in Toronto, and they are still very sensitive about what's going on there.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 8: They let him get away, and I had a guy just blasting me on the radio up there. He counted it was interesting, he said in the previous Again, they've got a lot of categories right to make their argument in the last twenty five games of Mitch Marner's Leaf's career. But he's only counting games five, six, and seven in the playoffs Dan and only goals, not points, all right, So there's a lot there. And he had just won in the twenty five games, and of course now you know, if Vegas does anything, he could win the con Smith as a playoff MVP. Look, he didn't have the supporting cast. Vegas has supported him correctly, but definitely they heat or the media heat or public heat. Playing being a local boy in Toronto as playing supposed to play in Las Vegas is very different, despite that it's one hundred and one degrees in Vegas.
Speaker 9: Different.
Speaker 2: If Mark Messier and PK suban fought, who do you have today?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'd be really close two days ago. It's Messia for sure, because that PK will take her shirt off for no reason. By the way, he is very happy to do that. And PK, you know, every day is leg day and he's all bumped up all the time and tells you like the first I'll be hey, PK, how you do it?
Speaker 9: He goes, I worked out today. I didn't ask you.
Speaker 8: If you worked out today. You know, Uh, PK's in tremendous shape. But mess gives you that stare. He crinkles up the far ahead, you know, and the eyebrows. And I wouldn't want to mess with Mark Messier.
Speaker 2: No, it feels it's weird how guys get labeled underrated, and maybe we're we're overrated by underrating people. It's like, you know, I always thought Kareem was underrated. You know, there's certain athletes that they did things. I don't think we really understood the context of what they did. And I always thought Messier was kind of in Wayne Gretzky's shadow. I mean, he played on one of the greatest teams of all time. I'd love for you to compare Edmonton when they had that dynasty to the Islanders dynasty.
Speaker 8: Better team brought that up first. A Mess is so modest when it comes to Gretz. He defers to Wayne all the time. And again, Mess is a top five all time player. I think I think he's still third in points and only because Yagler.
Speaker 9: Played till he was fifty or whatever.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 8: Yeah, those Oiler teams against the Island team. So my four years in high school were the Islanders four Cup team. Of course I was the only Ranger fan in high school, but that's a different story. That was an awful existence. The Islander teams were the best teams I ever saw because they could do everything. They could score at will, and they could beat the crap out of it two and still had the best clutch goalie of all time for my money, in Billy Smith. And of course, the Islander dynasty was right before the Oilers dynasty. And it's a famous story that Mess tells and Gretz too. The first year, that last year before the Oilers won, they lost to the Islanders and the Oilers are walking out of Nashall Coliseum and they have to pass by the Islanders dressing room and the Islanders just won the Cup, and they saw the mess that the Islanders were physically, the pain, the blood, the bones, I mean that kind of stuff. And the Oilers, to a man say to this day that they walked by and saw the cost what it really takes physically and mentally to win, and that that lesson sort of stayed with them and that helped propel them to their run another following season.
Speaker 2: Good stuff leaves. Thanks for joining us as always.
Speaker 9: Happy belated birthday brother.
Speaker 2: Thank you your hair looks eight two.
Speaker 9: You know it's different color than it used to be.
Speaker 2: Dan, It's still there though you have it. Though it's okay to changer's colors. I'll take it if it stays there instead of not having any. But thanks you.
Speaker 9: No fringe, whatever it is, you got it. Thanks pleading.
Speaker 2: That's Steve Levy of the mother Ship and coming up on Wednesday night at seven point thirty eastern, it'll be coverage to the Western Conference Finals Steve, Mark Messier and PK subin Game one follows at eight eastern. Reggie Miller in the on deck circle left of this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: Hey, it's Ben, host of The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller. Would mean a lot to have you join us on our weekly auditory journey. You're asking, what in God's name is the Fifth Hour? I'll tell you it's a spin off of it. Ben Mahler Show, a cult hit overnights on FSR. Why should you listen? Picture if you will? A world we chat with captains of industry in media, sports and more every week explore some amazing facts about human nature and more. Listen to The Fifth Hour with Ben Mather on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast, or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Reggie Miller on the call last night's opening game of the Western Conference Finals, and he was there with Mike Trico, Jamal Crawford. Game two tomorrow night, tip off eight thirty Eastern on NBC and Peacock. I'm full of hyperbole this morning, reg Victor Wembenyama is the best player in the NBA.
Speaker 9: You probably would be correct.
Speaker 5: Look, we are in the final four of our league, the conference final, and this is the matchup everyone's been wanting to see. You know, one versus two to sixty two plus win teams, all the hype that came into this, the Spurs being successful versus the defending champs all season winning four or five. You've got the MVP SGA accepting his second trophy. You've got the unanimous Defensive Player of the Year Victor wimbin Yama. So you know, two planets colliding towards one another, and you saw an epic game one.
Speaker 2: Okay, how do we not overreact to this? And you can look at it from both ways that OKAC struggled against San Antonio during the regular season, Wemby Welsh relishes this matchup with chet SGA didn't play well. They you know, Caruso played great, and you know so in all for not, Dylan Harper appears to be on the verge of being something as well. So talk me back down. You know, if I'm overreacting to what I saw in game one now doesn't mean okay, see can't win the next four. I'm just saying, from what I've seen in what I saw last night, this is going to be obviously entertaining, maybe seven game series.
Speaker 5: I'll start from the thunder standpoint. It's one game and it's game one. Let's just flash back to last year's finals. Tyrese Halibert hit a shot at the buzzer in Game one, Pacers golb won nothing. The Thunder ended up winning that series in seven. So you can't get too high too low. You mentioned some of the highlights. Yes, SGA struggles. He did have eighteen in the fourth, but a lot of those came from the free throw line. He was facing a wall, a wall of black jerseys everywhere he went.
Speaker 9: He struggled.
Speaker 5: I think the only bright spot offensively for the Thunder was Alex Caruso, a guy who comes off the benchie at thirty points and eight threes. But the Thunder they missed a lot of wide open shots, a lot of wide open threes, and that's kind of been on point of why they've been unsuccessful versus the Spurs this year has been they haven't been great from that three point line, which is one of their strengths. They can correct that. Yes, Game two could be a different story if Fga gets hot and if some of those guys are making threes, like Aaron Wiggins came off the bench and missed three wide open threes. So they've got to be more efficient in terms of shooting the basketball when they're gonna double the triple team SGA and take.
Speaker 9: The ball out of his hands.
Speaker 5: For the San Antonio side, we came in and did what we were supposed to do. We were shorthanded without the Aaron Fox, our point guard who's probably argued the second most important player on the team, and Dylan Harper a rookie. A rookie inserted into the starting lineup and was as cool as the other side of the pillow. He was unbelievable in moments down the stretch his defense. If he was anticipating, I said, he looked like Dion Sanders, you know, free safety And on a couple of those steals, he was superb. And of course the highlight of the night. When I talk about this time of year, you're picking up casual fans now because you're this close to getting to the NBA Finals. So now your casual fans are saying, you know, I've heard of this victor win.
Speaker 9: Binyama.
Speaker 5: I've seen a game or two, but now you got a chance to see a full forty eight minute game plus because it was a double overtime game, and to see how special you and I have talked about this, and I've said to you, every time you watch a game of his, you're going to see something that you've never seen before. And in transition, a seven foot four dude down three, down three takes a thirty footer to tie the ballgame. It's just unbelievable watching him play.
Speaker 2: But I wonder what we would be saying if he missed that shot and they lost, because when he pulled up, I went, oh my god, and then you make it. It's one of those oh my god, oh oh okay. But if he doesn't make it, then we're gonna be I think questioning, Uh well, I don't want to go too deep question.
Speaker 5: I thought it was a It was a good look at that particular time, at that moment of the game. You're down three, closing moments of overtime, and you step right into it in flow.
Speaker 9: It wasn't forced. Was it deep?
Speaker 5: Yes, but we've seen him make deep threes before. I just love that he didn't blink, he didn't think about it. It was catch shoot highball game.
Speaker 2: Why don't they put Pomegren on him? Can check play him? Straight up?
Speaker 9: Thank you? Theodore.
Speaker 5: At some point in this series it's going to have to be them too. I applaud what Caruso is doing. I applaud j Dub, and that's how they've someone had success with him the last couple of years, not this season, but the last couple of years, putting a smaller defender underneath him. But I think during the middle of the game, and Jamal kind of mentioned this, it's like he's got to remember he is seven to four, right, So when you've got Caruso, you've got Jadub guarding, you just don't hide. No one else in that building can go get that other than maybe Chet. And when we saw in that one play, I believe it was the end of the first overtime weak side help who was one of the best week side help defenders in our game, Chet home Grim. I think at some point during this series there's gonna have to be more time of its Chet versus Wimby, and that's what we're here to see because these two have a history dating back to AAU seventeen and under basketball games USA versus France, and I want to see it. Chat is going to have to take take and accept the challenge of playing longer minutes, not weak side help he's gonna have to take the onus of playing in winby one on one.
Speaker 2: Talking to Reggie Miller on the call last night. Coming up Wednesday, it'll be game two in this series. The tip off will be eight thirty Eastern on NBC and Peacock Cavaliers Knicks tonight. Cavaliers come rolling in after a you know, slugfest with Detroit. Nicks had been waiting, Knicks getting healthier home court advantage, and this kind of feels like the Knicks know what the feeling is like because last year, all you got to do is get by Indiana and we're gone to the finals. Yeah, okay, So what is what does New York do or have to remember going into this series tonight?
Speaker 5: I think watching Game one last night of that Spurs versus Thunder. Remember the Thunder had been off nine days leading up into Game one, whereas the spur were coming off that six game very physical series versus Minnesota. So if you're in New York number one, you can't take Cleveland for granted.
Speaker 9: This is the whole rest versus Rust.
Speaker 5: And you've got to come out the start of the game because I felt the Thunder kind of eased into the game and san Antonio took control of Game one. Even though the Thunder came back, they tied it and they took the lead. I never felt that san Antonio was ever out of it. They had control of the game for forty eight plus minutes double overtime. That the Knicks cannot ease into the game because the Calves are coming off two grueling game sevens, one versus Toronto and one versus Detroit. And the Calves think about this, They've gone against two of the best defending teams in the playoffs.
Speaker 9: Toronto great defending team, and we know.
Speaker 5: About Detroit, one of the top defending teams, and beat them. So they cannot take the Calves for granted, the Calves have some great weapons.
Speaker 9: They have size and Jared Allen, Evan Mobley.
Speaker 5: And I'm telling you this, Donovan Mitchell, he has made for big moments. I know he hasn't proved or shown it in the playoffs, but this guy is built for big moments.
Speaker 9: And James Harden has to be more consistent.
Speaker 5: If he's consistent in the series, this could be a long series for the Knicks. But having said all that, I think the Knicks are destined. They are destined to make it to the finals. Just after that Game three, a big win in Atlanta. This has been, along with the Thunder, the best team and their defense and the way they're playing through cap.
Speaker 9: I just think the Knicks are destined right now.
Speaker 2: And it's strange when you're standing next to Mitchell or Brunson and you realize that they're not taller than you. I'm talking me like, they're not tall guys, but they're so good. And I'd really love to see Brunson against Wemby in a NBA finals because he does all of his damage sort of in that area, and all of a sudden, you know you got Wemby lurking there, which which would be great. But those guys' ability that that's where you tell somebody watch those guys, watch Brunson and tell me how he does what he does, because I don't think he's particularly fast, good handle, quick, nice shot, but he's not a big guy, but he's somehow. This is the amazing part of basketball where you watch a guy and you go, I don't know how he does it, and he's in that category theater.
Speaker 5: I'm going to tell you how he does it. He is the master I'll put it like this. He is the Kobe Bryant of point guards and a lie. I say that his fundamentals and footwork are superb, superb. He will he Understan's angles and when he uses his footwork when he does get into the paint, he keeps the defense off balance.
Speaker 9: He is great in the mid range.
Speaker 5: He can kill you from three point and he's a pretty honorable passer as well. So his footwork that's what makes him so efficient. And Donovan Mitchell has size. He's bigger than Jalen Brunson, so that's why he can finish amongst the bigs when he gets into the paint. He also is a great three point shooter. He's been in the three point competition in the last four or five years, so you know he's very capable of getting hot from downtown. This is why this is going to be a fun matchup. Again, I still have the Knicks, but they better not take the Calves for granted.
Speaker 9: That's all I'm gonna say. You cannot take this team for granted.
Speaker 2: If he ran the Lakers, at what point you have to engage with Lebron to figure out what direction are we going? Because you want to be respectful, but you also you're running a business here. This isn't about being friends. It's about you've got a decision. We got a decision. When can you ask for an answer from Lebron.
Speaker 5: I think they've had probably preliminary conversations. I'm sure Rich falls had conversations with Rob Poink and Lebron. I think these conversations have been ongoing. I think they were going on during the season. Look, I think Lebron knows they are not going to build this next year's roster around him. They're gonna build around Luca and they're gonna figure out, Look, are we going to open up the bag and give it to ar Austin Reeves?
Speaker 9: And I think Lebron understands that. But guess what, Lebron has.
Speaker 5: Options too, Right, he doesn't have to stay with the Lakers if he wants to be sure, great, but he will have other suitors. Will it be what he the number he's expecting.
Speaker 9: I don't know, but the Lakers are going to build the.
Speaker 5: Raw around Luca, and trusts me, they've had conversations with Lebron personally, and I'm sure with Rich Paul. Again, I'm not privy to any of this, but you just assume that they've had an open dialogue about what's gonna happen going forward.
Speaker 2: I mentioned if I was the Steelers, I would have moved on from Aaron Rodgers because at some point I have to figure out what's the next five years or seven years at that position, not the next year. And they're over unders eight and a half wins, so he didn't really move the needle here. And with Lebron, I can get him for another year and it might be a twenty one seven and seven season, which is nice. But you're in the West. The Spurs and Oksee are great. They're better than you, and I just wonder I would move on from Lebron because I have to start to figure out what does this team look like for the next five years? And I might not be a popular opinion, but I just see where the Steelers have been kicking this can down the road. Redge for a while now, still trying to find Ben Roethlisberger and the Lakers with Lebron as great as he is, and even as he was in the postseason, what is our future here? You got Luca Austin Reeves bringing him back. You don't want you your center position. You got to figure that out as well. Some depth here. So would you move on from Lebron any part of you?
Speaker 5: It's difficult because you just mentioned a few numbers twenty one, seven and seven.
Speaker 9: Where else are you going to get that from?
Speaker 5: And again, yeah, maybe you could trade for someone, or you could use that salary and go out and acquire someone. I think if you're the Steelers, you bring back Aaron Rodgers because you want the quarterbacks behind him to see, Okay, this is how we prepare.
Speaker 9: In the film room, in the weight room.
Speaker 5: And I think if you're the Lakers, you see Lebron, how he's taking care of his body for twenty plus years, how he approaches the game, his mindset.
Speaker 9: Those things trinkle down to the rest of the team.
Speaker 5: And when your best player is Luca and he's been injury riddled over the last couple of seasons, maybe having Lebron and how he takes care of his body and his regiment, maybe that can help your best player. I think those will be some of the things that they think about going forward in terms of Lebron.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you your goal is not to make the playoffs. That's Steelers. I mean you want to win. You know, That's the thing. Does Aaron Rodgers, you know, help bigger picture of winning a super Bowl? And probably not. He's obviously first Battle Hall of Famer. You're not winning a title. I don't think with this Laker lineup going into next season, even if everybody's healthy, you're gonna make the playoffs and maybe you bow out in the second round. Is that mission accomplished?
Speaker 9: Okay? So then who are you gonna Are you gonna go out and get Giannis?
Speaker 5: Well, who are you gonna get that is gonna give you twenty one, seven and seven?
Speaker 9: And hell, can you win a championship a year from now? Okay?
Speaker 2: But I have to think about the next five years. You're only thinking about next year with Lebron. And while I said he's gonna give me those numbers, I'm gonna have the same result next year. Is that good enough for the Lakers?
Speaker 5: Well, if Lebron's not the team and you don't bring in a five star recruit or acquire that type of free agent, you're gonna be in the same boat. Whereas you could have had a bird in the hand at twenty one, seven and seven, and before Luca got hurt, and before ar.
Speaker 9: Got hurt in that game here in Okac.
Speaker 5: Wasn't the Lakers one of the hottest teams down the stretch heading into the playoffs with those three guys.
Speaker 2: They're not better than the Spurs are. Okay, see they're.
Speaker 9: Not, but they were one of the they were one of the top teams. I know.
Speaker 2: But is that good enough for the Lakers? They're about winning championships?
Speaker 9: Then you're then you need to go out and get like SDA.
Speaker 2: You need to go get Wimby.
Speaker 9: I mean, you need to go get one of the whole time.
Speaker 2: I know there's no I know there's no one to get that's going to replace Lebron. But I can spend that sixty million dollars elsewhere, and I got to build. I got to fill out a roster. Okac is deep, san Antonio is deep. The Lakers are not deep. And that that's maybe it's setting yourself up for a year from now or two years, never mind, we can talk about they.
Speaker 9: Have every right to do that.
Speaker 5: But just just so you know, Lebron has options to you can go somewhere else too.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Rech. What, by the way, what are you doing in Okac today? What do you do on your day off? You're a Hall of Fame or your Reggie Miller? What are you going to be doing.
Speaker 5: I'm heading to the gym and get onto the peloton bike because the training never stops for me for my cycling, my other passion.
Speaker 9: So I'll go work out.
Speaker 5: And then I'm gonna go have a nice stake with our dear leader, Michael Schermco, Jamal Crawford, Zora Stevenson, Ashley Chamont. Were we are all going as a team dinner something that you and I would do.
Speaker 9: I would, I would take you seatan my dan ed to eat.
Speaker 5: That's what team does, team building bonding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but didn't we go to dinner and.
Speaker 9: You pay?
Speaker 2: You never didn't pay, No way, no, no, no. You showed up in your Bentley.
Speaker 9: Remember dinner was paid for? Did you pay for it? Dinner paid for?
Speaker 2: I don't remember. I think I said because you pulled up in a Bentley that you should Indiana.
Speaker 5: In Indiana, when you roll, you don't pay for any or you know that I was in an uber for anything.
Speaker 2: I was in an Uber and you were in a Bentley.
Speaker 9: Which I no longer have right now? So what go on?
Speaker 2: You sold the Bentley.
Speaker 9: It was nice. You know, how long ago that what you think I would? I'm hold out to that. How long ago was that?
Speaker 2: It's it's a Bentley?
Speaker 9: No time to move on? Got three kids, I got a minivan. I've gone from a Bentley to a mini van.
Speaker 2: Damn, damn, how the mighty have fallen?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 2: Thank you Red te Uh tell the boys? I said, hello, you got it.
Speaker 9: Appreciate your Theodore.
Speaker 2: And that's a Reggie Alowiicious Miller Junior the third. He'll be on the call tomorrow night. I already got the points spread. I got san Antonio getting six and a half against Okay, see glass golfer? Phone call? What we learn? What's in store tomorrow? Right after this?
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. The last call for phone calls.
Speaker 9: What we learn?
Speaker 2: What's in store tomorrow? This day in sports history? Final results of the Pole Question. Cavs and Nicks. A little bit of pressure for an encore performance after last night. It's like, all right, let me see what you guys can do. In the East, as the Cavaliers are what's seven and a half point underdogs tonight in Game one? Final results of the Pole question Dylan.
Speaker 3: All right, Dan, we asked, is the rest of Canada at all rooting for the Canadians? Sixty one percent say no. And I actually got a reply that says, if you're Canadian outside of Quebec and you're rooting for Montreal, you should be forced to move to Quebec and lose your right to leave the province. That gives you some indication.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I agree. Yeah, you know, if I'm listening living in Calgary, Auto, I'm not ruining for Montreal just because we're saying, Hey, Canada hasn't had a Stanley Cup winner since nineteen ninety three. No, not at all.
Speaker 4: He entered in rivalry.
Speaker 2: Uh, this day in sports history, Paul, Yet one for me.
Speaker 7: I got a few for you, Dan, And this day in nineteen eighty four, your Edmonston Oilers won their first Stanley Cup.
Speaker 2: Was eighty four.
Speaker 7: Nineteen thirty five, the NFL adopted a league draft that started nineteen thirty six. And here's one little quiz here. Nineteen ten, Cy Young of the Cleveland Indians got win number five hundred. His career, he finished five hundred and eleven wins three hundred and fifteen losses as a pitcher. How many complete games did he have in his career? Who would like to take a shot? Cy Young? Complete games?
Speaker 2: So that's over eight hundred decisions right in his career.
Speaker 7: He had eight hundred and fifteen career starts.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm going to say five one hundred complete games?
Speaker 7: Anyone else?
Speaker 2: Dylan eight hundred, three thirty eight, six hundred.
Speaker 7: Dylan is the closest eight hundred and fifteen career starts. It's seven hundred and forty nine complete games.
Speaker 6: Us your name of a ward after was.
Speaker 9: He never won?
Speaker 7: Never want to say Young?
Speaker 2: Uh Jim in California, Hi Jim? What do you have for me today?
Speaker 11: Dan Patrick? First time caller, longtime listeners since the eighties of you. I just want to say that, you know, when we're talking about the piping in of the birds and things that I on golf, I just want to ask you the question, do you think that the when you buy a live album or CD or what have you, do you think that's piped in?
Speaker 2: Do I think they're adding music to a live album.
Speaker 11: Adding the crowd to a live album.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know. I never gave it that much thought. I'm not a big live album guy. I don't like hearing the audience. I don't like it when a musician turns it over to the audience to let them sing a song that I came to hear you sing. But I'm not a live album guy at all. Let's go around the room see if we learn anything on the program, Todd, I'll start with you. Did you learn anything? I learned a lot of things, one of which was the thunder wasted a great effort from Alex Caruso last night, allowing Wenby in the Spurs to grab a home court advantage.
Speaker 4: Dylan, you went to Harvard to look at art?
Speaker 2: Yeah, museum, the art museum at Harvard. Uh, Marvin, you think I'm no fun?
Speaker 9: Wait?
Speaker 2: When did I say that?
Speaker 6: I was talking about Buffalo just not being good instead of being cursed. You're like, mar yeah, fun. Yeah, you call me a criminal? That nice.
Speaker 2: You're not a criminal. You got off with whatever charges we're pending against the police couldn't hold me. Thanks for joining us. Thanks for the phone calls, emails, tweets, be all around support. We'll do it again tomorrow for Fitzie, Marv, Dylan, Pauli, Yours Chrulie. Talk to you on Wednesday,