Speaker 1: Welcome to the favorites of the podcast part of the Volume podcast Network. I'm Chad Millman of the Action Network. Today we officially kick off our twenty twenty five NFL season preview episodes. Training camps open at the end of next week. We've made it through the long, hard, cold winter of no football. Our division by division betting breakdowns will begin at the end of this month. But before we get to that, Simon and I, we'll do our table Setter episodes to frame what we think when it comes to all things betting in the NFL. Today, we're going to start with the big picture playoff prognostication. Before I dive into the topic, let me bring it my co host, my companion, Michael Padre, my BFF professional better sim In Hunter Ella, sim In.
Speaker 2: Chad, how are we doing?
Speaker 1: I guess we're ready. I guess it's time. I guess all the planning, all the research, all the conversation, all the debate, it's time to quite literally put some of that into action. Today we're going to play a little game with the help of our Action Network colleague Brandon Anderson. He actually did this a few weeks ago on the Action Pod with former colleague Anthony Debundo, now of The Ringer, and we loved the concept. We're going to predict this year's fourteen playoff teams, but you and I do every year. But with Brandon, we're incorporating a little bit of a twist. Brandon, you are broadcasting from your dungeon bunker, visiting your family in North Dakota, where apparently they no longer we have electricity. The host state has gone fully off the grid. So you know, people who are watching, understand the circumstances for you, but explain what we're doing today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, look, the great news is the internet speed is slowly getting better here in North Dakota. My family's been at ten MVPs for years. We're up to fifteen now. But they got flags in the backyard. They're finally putting in like the optic cable. So I think maybe a year from now, next time I'm here, we'll actually have real internet and have the good setup, but here from the dungeon. Either way, concept is pretty easy. Since we moved to fourteen playoff teams. Year by year, about eight of the fourteen teams return the next season, about six drop out, so that's almost half that's one away from half. Obviously over forty percent, so more turnover than we expect. We know how the NFL is the League of parody. So the exercise Dubundo and I did was, Okay, we have to choose six teams to drop out and six new ones to come in. You gotta follow the rules. Like you if you drop out a division leader and you have known from that division, you've got to have someone in, et cetera. So today we're doing a little bit differently. We didn't tell you guys the twist. We just picked our playoff teams and we're gonna kind of see where do we overlap. What do we end up with. We end up with three teams that all three of us have in in the NFC, three in the AFC, So kind of quickly YadA YadA those and then I think talk through the teams that we differ on and kind of see where we overlap.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Look, I think that we ended up naturally sort of finding a way to get to that at six of fourteen average, just by doing it blindly, not even knowing that this was the concept. So let's start with the AFC. The playoff picture, I think is a lot clearer. All of us have the Chiefs, the Ravens, and the Bills. Obvious, none of us agree on the final four team, so let's dive in here. One obvious AFC team that missed last season with a notable caveat was Cincinnati with Joe Burrow coming off of the injury the year before and then the team really struggling to start the year. Brandon, you and I both have Cincinnati getting to the playoffs. I'll be honest. I had Cincinnati winning the division. So when I went through this, I had the Ravens as the wildcard team from that division. Simon, you at Cincinnati to miss explain yourself.
Speaker 2: Uh, they're bad, JAD. It's pretty simp when you break it down. They are a really bad run team organization, and they got lucky right they stumbled into Joe Brow with the number one pick and they're very fortunate. So every year they will have a chance to make this playoffs. But you can get them on a plus number to miss the playoffs. This is a bad team or really bad defense that could get potentially get worse before they've ended the season. Like they just keep doing things wrong and it's catching up to them. Where oh great, we resigned Chase and Higgins our stead of receivers with Joe Burrow. That's not their issues. Their issues that offensive line in the defense, two things they have not really attacked this offseason. So to me, you know, they got lucky to even be close to making the playoffs last season when they played so poorly against winning teams and they had a pretty easy schedule, right, they caught a bad Browns team that had backup in they caught a bad Pittsburgh team when Pittsburgh was kind of on the downslope toward the end of the season. So to me, it's gonna be a lot tougher in that division. And the Ravens I just put so far above them. I don't think it's close, so that they's just got a team that's gonna be overrated because it is Joe Burrow, who we all know, top ten, top six, top five quarterbacks. So to me, it makes sense why you guys would pick them. I'm just the other way. I hate the way it's coming into the season, even the drama with their first round pick, all of it, and Hendrix's it's so bad to me, and their defense to me, might be by them five in the league.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, the we're going to do a training camp Questions episode, and definitely one of the questions that I'm thinking about is can the Bengals stop bangling because of what they're doing with Trey Henderson, because of what they're doing with Shamar Stewart at their first round pick, who they're you know, trying to set precedent setting contracts with for first round picks. Brandon, what is your reasoning for the Bengals being in the playoffs?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think actually, for me, the reasoning is just that the offense is so good with Burrow, with Tea and Chase, especially last year when those receivers were both on the field and I know it's not given we got the contract settled now, when those two and burw were on the field, they were an unstoppable offense last season, like Jamar Chase is breaking records in some games and doing just crazy stuff. Tea was really good. The being that good historically puts you in the playoff picture. Like as long as you just have Burrow, Tea and Chase healthy, you're in the playoff picture. They have won nine games or more in four straight seasons, so all they really need to do is stay mostly healthy and please, for the love of God, not start on three every single season. Can we just have a normal September and not dig a hole immediately? I don't know, So I don't know if we can bet on them to make the playoffs. I think you're right time to point out that the plus number has been a good bet to make at the start of the year because they usually dig themselves a hole, and if anything, you can just bet plus on the other side and just be done. I got some money either way. Go ahead, Bengals, do your thing. I need to worry about it anymore. To me, Burrow belongs. Look, we named off Chiefs Bill's Ravens. For most people, that would be your top three quarterbacks in the NFL. For me, Joe Burrow is in that group with those three, not necessarily as the fourth option. If you have a star quarterback that's that good, you're in the playof And in the AFC, I have a lot more teams that I'm pretty comfortable leaving out of the mix in the NFC. I would not say put them in as easily, but I kind of needed teams frankly in the AFC, so I'm happy to put the Bengals as an option.
Speaker 1: Here. By the way, a little preview for a future episode that we're doing later this week are Top ten Quarterbacks, which a lot of people talking about quarterbacks this week and their top ten lists, and Simon and I do it every year, but we also incorporate a lot about quarterbacks that we'd want to be betting on or that we'd be afraid to be betting against. At the end of the game, you say Joe Burrow would be, you know, top four, Brandon, I don't disagree. One of us on this podcast right now had Joe Burrow outside his top five. That's how down he is on Joe Burrow. The thing about the Bengals, and I agree with you like I am all in on Joe Burrow. Joe Burrow's biggest issues Sometimes in this offensive line is terrible, but the issue is Joe Burrow, and Joe Burrow likes to play hero ball. He will hold the ball too long with a bad offensive line and continue to try to make plays which puts himself in trouble physically, and also make sure that he gets a lot more sacks than any other quarterback, which is a constant problem. So it can't all be on the offensive line, it can't all be on the defense. And as good as Joe Burrow is, he has made catastrophic mistakes in inopportune moments, either by taking sacks or throwing bad balls when he's under pressure. So I understand Simon's position. I'm just choosing to believe that they have to get it right and that this will be the year, and that two teams will come out of the AFC North, and I don't think it's going to be all right. And I do think it's going to be the Bengals and the Ravens. The Cincinnati Bengals came roaring back next one. Simon, you and I both have the Texans back in the playoffs. Brandon does not. I know why I believe it. Tell me why you believe it?
Speaker 2: Just the defense. Like to me, they're so talented with the coaching. It's in that division that there's they're the only team with something legit great. All the other teams have questions, right, I have so many questions about Jacksonville. I mean, hell, we'll get into Houston here. We have questions about the offensive line like that. That's what we're freaked out about it. Is CJ gonna take another step because last year we all agree he just didn't play up to the level we were expecting after his rookie season. So if they're in any other division, chat, I probably would be more down on them because they're in that division. Last year, they shouldn't have won it, and they just all these other teams fall apart, and they just kept turning it out because they have such good coaching, such good defense. It just keeps them above water. So to me, I'm with you. I was trying to force in the Titans. You know how much I love the Titans is up coming here, But I'm just trying to be realistic here. And I know people put a hard earn money on this bet. So to me, if I'm going to go with a side, I got to go with Houston making of that division, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think in the end, I was really impressed with CJ. Stroud and how he played in the playoffs, even with a terrible offensive line. And if they can recognize how to improve that offensive line just a little bit and he can get a little bit better at getting rid of the ball quickly and improve his QB pressure rate in which sometimes he was just taking sacks I think because he was trying to make a play and it was scrambling and in vulnerable positions so soon after the ball was snapped. They are legitimately just the more talented team. He's a more talented quarterback than anyone else in the division. Their defense is really fantastic. I think they've got the moors ablished coach than any other team in the division. So it was a toss up between Texans and the team that Brandon liked. Brandon, go ahead and tell us who you think will make it instead of the Texans.
Speaker 3: So for me, this really is a bet against the Texans. Like I just I found last year's team hard to inspire. They finished with a zero point differential on the season. The defense was great, no doubt. On paper, the Texans defense is the best unit in the division. It's a terrible division. Like Simon said, if we had other options here, it'd be a lot easier. I'm not excited or truly about the option out to give you, but I'm following the rules. I can't just knock the whole division out. I don't believe in the Texans. I'm not there yet.
Speaker 2: On the Titans.
Speaker 3: I think they'll be better. I like the reasons you like them, Simon, just I'm not ready to go better enough to win the division. I am going to reluctantly take the Jacksonville Jaguars. And part of the case here is again looking at defense, Simon, the Texans, I thought, maybe we're a top three defense last year on paper, could be the number one defense this year. Defense is really unpredictable and not sticky season. This season, I can predict pretty consistently who the top offenses are, Like, we can do the top offenses pod and it's gonna be name the quarterbacks, Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Joe Burr like elite quarterbacks or elite year to year and have elite offenses. Defense is a lot more Malley about changes a lot more so. I agree the Bengals defense was a bottom five defense last year, but historically there's a decent chance that they go from like twenty eighth to twenty second, and just that amount of difference, even just accidentally getting a little better matters when the offense is that good. With Houston, it's the other way if you fall from second or third to eighth and you're still a pretty good defense. Well, if the offense didn't improve a bunch, that's a pretty big drop off. And so to me, I'm gonna like default to offense feeling better. So I have the the Texans falling down, I'm gonna go with the Jacksonville Jaguars. You hear the excitement in my voice right that the pick here is Liam Cohen. And I hope that Liam Cohen can do with Trevor Lawrence what he's done at pass stops. I think especially Brian Thomas looks like the next just stud receiver. And now I don't even know what he's going to be yet, But whatever Travis Hunter is, maybe it's a little boost at receiver, maybe it's a little boost on defense. The area of where he can help them, I'm not sure yet, but I do believe in his talent what he can do there, and I like the coaching changes that they made. I think there's a lot of low hanging fruit from the team. I can see a world where with Liam Cohen, with these receivers, could Trevor Lawrence be the best quarterback in this division. I think that's a very possible world out there. The talent is there. It's not gonna be cam Ward yet, It's not gonna be whatever Indianapolis has, Like, I never consider them because I can't even get on board with who their quarterback is. Could it be Trevor Lawrence? Could it be nine and eight or ten and seven? That's probably enough in this division. Houston's offensive line I think got worse even than it was last year with Laramy Tunsel gone. They might be the worst offensive line in the league. And that's another more predictable thing. Usually I'm kind of just taking the unpredictable. With Jacksonville, I don't really know what I'm getting, but there's plenty of talent there. There's a lot of talent on defense, even if it hasn't been good yet. Maybe a new coordinator, maybe some new plans can get things going there. Just give Jacksonville a chance because I got to pick somebody in the division. That's the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it really comes down to which quarterback do you believe in? Right and CJ. Stroud now two years in a row, playoff victories in each year, division titles in each year, even with a dreadful offensive line. Trevor Lawrence, third coach, in five years, really only one good season, even on the field when he's been healthy, consistently missing touch passes in the red zone, consistently being inaccurate, not making the big plays. I am not willing to bet on his unpredictability versus c J. Stroud's upside to me and Simon, you're with me, Simon and I are together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it also feels like we're all gonna look at the ind of the here and be like Daniel Jones the Colts, they won this division. We should have known. So that's I'm with Brandon. This feels like a really stupid division. So I get why he's going upside. I just I'm playing it safe. As we all are here in the AFC. It just feels like we're in an era where it's very top heavy in both divisions, where the best are truly the best, and then there's the rest that are just trying to make into that little group. So the Texans, I'm with you. There's a lot of questions, but man, is this division just gross?
Speaker 1: Yeah? That was sort of It came down to Houston and Jacksonville for me, and it was a flip of a coin. Last year's Wild Cards, Chargers, Broncos, Steelers. Brandon and I have the Chargers back in Denver and Pittsburgh out. Simon has the opposite Denver and Pittsburgh in Chargers out. Uh, Simon, I want you to go first, explain why you like Denver and why you like Pittsburgh and why you don't like the Chargers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really really boring. Once again, just went back to it where it's the coaching. I feel like that makes such a big difference. And we saw last year where you know, Pittsburgh and Denver pretty shocking to see them make runs where Pittsburgh did it with Justin Fields and Russell Wilson, Like that's pretty incredible. And the fact that you know it's a team that just feels like this is their run, right all the they have all these guys, all these veteran players that kind of know this is it. I mean, obviously what's going on with TJ. Watt's a big difference here. Like if we're doing this later and I knew he was already gone and traded, probably would be a difference maker because he is that and to that defense. Me and Chat I talk all the time about the splits when he plays for them when he doesn't play for them. But just looking at this team on paper, I just I just trust the coach like he just always finds to make it work. And that's such a big deal in AFC. And then same with Denver. It's like Denver another team that might have a top five defense, top three offensive line. Bon Knicks, that might have been the peak what we saw last season. Like he's old as shit, I get it, but that peak was pretty good, Like he kept improving. That's what you want to see with these rookies. The NFL season is so long and it's such a mental game. And that was so impressive about Jane Daniels and Bo Knicks is that you know a lot of their rookies they hit that rookie wall at some point. These guys broke through it. They kept improving. Their teams didn't make the playoffs. So with Denver, it's just really about the coaching and the fact that they've just drafted so well and they just have a great team there. So I again I wanted to take them out like I like putting in new teams. It's just who are these other teams I trust more than those two teams, Like I just when you're talking about the head coaching, those two guys are Hall of famers. It's tough for me to trust the coach in Cincinnati rather than the coaching of Pittsburgh and Denver. So that's where it's like it gets really hazy there at that final spot putting in these wild card rounds.
Speaker 3: Brandon, Yeah, to me, this is really with these teams, especially two of them, it's about floor versus ceiling. And with Pittsburgh and Denver, I can't get to a spot where I'm excited about a ceiling being really above like ten wins. And I know ten wins gets you to the playoffs, but ten wins is a win or two wins away from missing the playoffs. And I don't think Pittsburgh and Denver are gonna be bad teams. But like Pittsburgh, we know with Tomlin the five hundred streak, right, we know that every year we talk about the five hundred streak. What we don't talk about is they've had ten wins our the last six of the last seven seasons. So that is a hard cap on a ceiling for a team that like, Okay, you blow one or two games and now you're five hundred and now you're out of the playoffs. And we got Aaron Tja Watt, Cam Hayward probably maybe the three best most important players on the team, certainly up on the list, all ancient in football years, and Aaron Rodgers fourteen to twenty one the last three years as a starter. I just feel like the ceiling is capped there. And I don't like Aaron Rodgers fit with Arthur Smith offense at all. So I don't know how that's going to go. I don't know how it sets up, but we've seen this not go well with Rodgers recently. With Denver, to me as just a pile of red flags. I talk about not believing in defense from year to year. Denver was top five defense and special teams last year, and both of those scream regression to the mean. And if it's even a little bit Denver's offense, I don't believe in much at all. I'm not a Bonex guy, never been a Bonex guy. I think last year probably was the best will get if the defense is worse. Now you're starting with a ball maybe fifteen yards further back on the field, and now Bow's gotta actually makes some throws right now, he's gonna actually do the thing and be quarterback, not just be game manager. And I think the offense gets worse as the defense gets worse. I don't believe in that coaching staff quite as much. I don't believe advanced Joseph on defense to have them be that incredible again. And in both teams cases, Pittsburgh and Denver, they're both in tough divisions too, right, They're both in divisions where each of us has two other teams in Pittsburgh's division in the playoffs. Well, I guess Simon has Pittsburgh in the playoffs, but tough divisions, there certainly are three clearer playoff contenders Chargers with the other division as well, so I think two. You know, that's like if you look at Chiefs Chargers or Ravens Bengals, that might be three losses already right there for either one of these teams as well. So to me, the Chargers are not a ton different on the floor ceiling thing. The difference is, I'm gonna come back to the quarterback again, justin Herbert and no we even seen it long enough, but we saw him make a better leap in the second half of the season, we saw him more passing as they kind of open up the offense a little bit. They added backed in on the line. They're gonna get year two of Lad McConkey. And again here's ceiling versus floor. We're talking about the scene capped with Tomlin and with the Broncos. Jim Harbaugh's floor to me, in five seasons in the NFL, he's never finished below five hundred either. But he's at eleven wins or more four of the five seasons, and most of those are in the sixteen game seasons, right, So eleven and five are better. I'm not excited about the Chargers. I don't think I want a Super Bowl ticket on the Chargers, but justin Herbert to me has the talent to maybe push into that top four or five quarterback range if he ever pulls it together. We're running out of time here, but I can see a floor and get excited about the ceiling, and I rather have that delta pushing up than the other two teams where the delta seems down to me. So I have Chargers in with the high floor and the Steelers and the who am I talking about the Steelers In the Broncos I have out with the cap ceiling.
Speaker 2: You're not worried about regressing that from Chargers defense, Yeah, I am really exceeded what they should have. You can agree with that.
Speaker 3: That was incredible the talent on certainly of these three teams, there's no question which defense I feel least good about going into the season. It just again kind of fitting in my theme here, especially in the AFC. I don't feel great about a lot of teams in the conference. I'm gonna trust the quarterback and the offenses that I feel good about. I'm basically saying I trust my ability to evaluate offense better than I trust my ability to evaluate defense. Defense is just gonna push toward the middle, and I trust. Yeah. I'm taking what might just be the five best quarterbacks in the NFL and put them in the playoffs, and so I don't mind doing that.
Speaker 1: In the AFC, I cannot disagree with any of the analysis from Brandon. It's why I have the Chargers in. I'm betting on the better quarterback, Simon. We love Sean Payton. He's a great coach to bet on, but so is Jim Harby. And there were games last year, especially a game between the two of them where Harbaugh just out coached Sean Payton and won a game. Because of that, I'm going to bet on Harbaugh. I'm gonna bet on Herbert. I'm not going to bet on bow Knicks. That's really what it's coming down to. And I think Aaron Rodgers has just been fading. He's just not that good of a quarterback anymore. So that's why I ultimately decided on Cincinnati in that division instead of Pittsburgh. The summarize, we've all got Kansas City, Baltimore, Buffalo really going out on Alledge with those picks. The summarize, we've all got Kansas City, Baltimore, Buffalo, really going out on Alledge with those picks. My next three Houston Chargers, Cincinnati, Simon, Houston, Denver, Pittsburgh, Brandon Chargers, Jacksonville, Cincinnati, one more spot for each of us. Brandon and Chad agree. Mike Rabel New England Patriots, and I will kick it off and say a I love Rabel. I think is an instant difference maker. I think he can make this team two to three games better. I like that they drafted high for the offensive line. They've nominally improved the receiving corps. Drake May showed enough last year that when he had no webs in weapons, he had moxie and an ability to move the ball and defensively, this team is also improving, so you know it. It's not commanders like, but to me, it is Commander's light. So that's why I liked the Patriots. Brandon back me up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think you made the case. I agree with all that. I love building in the trenches, Will Campbell, Morgan, Moses, Scared Bradbury. This was probably the worst line in the league last year. This could be towards the league average line once they kind of jel all and get used to things. Drake May I am very excited about. I think there is a world where Drake May is what we think about last season into the year. CJ. Stroud, what we think about maybe when we've done with Trevor Lawrence, where we bump him up into like the eighth spot, you know, that young quarterback that makes the leap. I think Drake May looked really good last year, especially given the context of terrible blocking, no real weapons, and he still played really good football. I frankly don't love long term the Vrabel and Josh McDaniel's thing. I'm less excited about the future five years from now about Drake May, but I think in the immediate future, this again is a ceiling floor thing. I think they had a lot of floor. They increased the offensive line on defense, they get Milton Williams, they get Harold Landry, Carlton Davis, the best corner in the market. I think Davis and Christian Gonzalez could give them maybe the best corners in the league if things turn out well there. So I think just raising the floor by saying, Okay, let's just get some guys, get some guys who can actually play football for us, and give us a chance. The only bumber here, Chad, is that everyone else thinks this too. Like the Patriots, there's no value on betting them to do anything because what are they favored in like eleven games already going into the year when they were terrible last year. So I don't know. I wonder if I ended up swerving on this, just trying to find value somewhere else because there's really no way to bet this right now because everyone's already in the Patriots.
Speaker 1: Well, simon giving you an option, right here lay it on us. Who's your seventh team?
Speaker 2: Well, I will say to the Patriots, just what you guys talk about physical dead on arrival. Everyone's just in on it because they have an easy schedule. The Vrabel bump, Drake may your two jump, I get it. I didn't pick them obviously, because to me, it's it's gonna come down to I trust coaches that are in new spots like Vrabel, that are talented, but with a veteran quarterback that I can trust as well. And that's why I ended up on Vegas, and I'm gonna save it because there's a lot of data to back it up. I want, I want to dive more into it. But Gino Smith splits between outdoors and indoors is massive, and going from Seattle to Vegas, it's gonna be a big deal for him, and especially in that offense where you know, to me, it's gonna be a really old school what Pete Carroll wants to do with the Marshaun Lynch Russell Wilson type of style. Right, They're gonna be a run heavy team with gent and I love Gino Smith aspect of it, so I'm the hardest part is trying to find the last place team that makes the jump. Like, that's what I'm looking for here, because we always know that randomly happens. I don't know. I don't know why I ended up on Vegas. It really again, I was looking at Tennessee, but I was just like, man, this just feels like the type of spot that like, we're not not overlooking that we kind of are right. It's Pete Carroll on the Raiders with Gino Smith. It's not sexy, it's not fun, it's not being talked about really by now media. So that's why it just they feel like the perfect under the radar team that sneaks in there in that final seventh spot. But again, get I get the Patriots love, they got the schedule. They obviously have the talent you think across the board if their quarterback takes that year to jump, but that's the big question, right, So to me, I'm playing it safe here, going to betteran quarterback. And what I think is gonna be a big deal going from Seattle to an indoor eight nine games out of the year. It's gonna be a big deal for Gino.
Speaker 1: Well, you can be right, that's a sneaky smart player that the Raiders might have made to give themselves a little bit of a higher floor with a coach who is seventy something years old and might not have that many years, so you want to take advantage of what he's trying to build there as quickly as you can. NFC is interesting because we all agree on two returning teams of the seven that can make the playoffs, and it's not teams that you would expect. We agree on Philadelphia in Green Bay, and we agree on a third team that missed the playoffs last year in San Francisco. Before we get into anything quick, yes or no? Do we all agree San Francisco could end up being the number one seed in the NFC? Simon, Yes or no?
Speaker 2: Yes, just because of schedule, Brandon.
Speaker 3: Yes, they're my one super Bowl ticket right now.
Speaker 1: Chad. Yes, they are one of my two super Bowl tickets right now. Okay, that leaves four more teams. We don't even agree on whether or not last year's number one seed will make it. Chad, Chad, I'm getting too used to referring to myself in the third person. Simon and I agree that Detroit is in I will say they were one of my last teams in Brandon. You like Detroit to miss, so explain yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I love to bet on fading. The brain drain on teams, and the brain drain coming in Detroit is going to be huge. Everyone's gonna be talking about it, Ben Johnson, and we're gonna come back to him in a bed. I know, but Ben Johnson out the door. We haven't seen what this offense is gonna look like without his play calling, we haven't seen. Everyone loves Dan Campbell's aggressiveness. Okay, are we sure we love it when we don't get Ben Johnson's play calling with the aggressiveness, We're sure that we love that version of his aggression. You know, we've seen coaches over the years where that aggression runs out and it suddenly doesn't work anymore. We've seen Jared Goff without Ben Johnson, without Sean McVay, be a very mediocre to bad quarterback, and we saw him in this Lions team not look good until Ben Johnson started making the calls. Aaron Glenn on defense really surprised me las year. I didn't give them enough credit. That defense really overperformed and then and I think everyone loves to revision his history and say the Lions had the year from hell because they had all the injuries at the end of the season. They certainly did, but I thought it was a Lion's year for like three fourths of the season. I thought it was the Lions year that they were the team that, man, everything is perfect, They're going to be the Super Bowl team this year. And so you get both sides. Both of those count I do like for them. DJ Reid I think is a really nice addition for them with Terry and Arnold. So I think actually Detroit's defense could be better maybe than they were last year. They're getting Aden Hutchinson back. He was probably the defensive player of the year until he got hurt. So it's yeah, it's not a team that I'm like super loving to fade because it's a very talented roster. But I think the defense can be a little better, but the offensive line gets worse. Frank Raig now is a really big loss for them. The splits with him playing and not playing is a big deal. And then you take the play calling away, you make Goff a little bit worse, and now I think you just have like a round a league average offense and defense, maybe even slightly above average on both. But the NFC is tough. I could see this team being like a nine win team and still missing the playoffs, especially in a very tough division. So you know, just a team that when you lose Ben Johnson, lose Aaron gly and lose Frank rag Now, like that's coaching an offensive line, that's my stick, Like that's my thing. So if you're going to lose that much drain in those areas, it has to be a team I'm out on.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Look, those are all the reasons why I potentially left them out. Ultimately decided that's downgrading a little bit too much given how high their ceiling was last year. Simon, you're with me, explain for the both of us.
Speaker 2: Detroit, it's still gonna be that Detroit offense, right. I do think they'll take a step back. They obviously won't be the one seed, but could they still steal this division somehow or make the wild court. I think that will because they have just so much talent. And to me, it's it's what you just talked about. The let's speakin in the end. Like their window, we know football's window is two to three years usually, and then you kind of have to re remake who you are, like you have to become a whole new team and build out throughout the draft. And they've drafted so well that maybe they have another year or two to do it. But I'm with you, guys, like I was looking forward to betting them on the division last year, looking forward to betting them to potentially WINNFC. I didn't do any Super Bowl futures. Me and Chat talked about. I just didn't think. I thought just something about the fact that it's Detroit and it's golf. I was like, there's some something's gonna go awry here, and sure enough, pick six later against Washington it happened. So it's it's a tough spot with Detroit. Chat. I think me and you feel the same way, where we know the possibility them falling off the cliff is real because football is so dependent on coaching. But man, you just when you break it down, it's like the talent's there. The question, to the end of the day will be is that new offensive line they're building is it gonna work? Because they've had some major departures and we talk agnaisma about it, but it's such an important cog to the NFL machine, that offensive line. So to me, that ended U might being the Achilles Seal of this team. But to not make the playoffs, Wow, that's that's a nice that's a nice plus number. Brandon. Do you remember the number was on that the bet Detroit not making the playoffs?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: No, because I bet you that's what plus two hundred you think plus two fifty at least, right?
Speaker 3: Yeah. I haven't seen the number in recent times in the debt of July here in the Dungeons in North Dakota. But yeah, it's definitely a nice plus number because you know, if you're picking the one seed to miss out the following season, you're gonna get a number on that. To me. I know we talked about like the Super Bowl losers curse, who's that team that's going to fall off from last year? They didn't make the Super Bowl, they didn't win a playoff game. But I think Detroit is that team this year. I think they're the team that has the weight of what last year was and what this year isn't anymore coming back to them. And I think partly it's because the division is so strong.
Speaker 1: Well, look, we can talk about the division, because that's where we also have some discrepancies. The one thing I'll add, Simon, you talked about offensive line, Brandon, you mentioned Frank Ragnow. They also lost Kevin Zeitdler, who was one of the best guards in football and maybe huge impact on their ability to run the ball and convert so frequently on fourth down. So I do think that's an I think the weight of expectations and Brandon, I think that's a great way to frame it. You talk about that Super Bowl hangover for the team that lost, they feel the same weight, like they feel they should have been there to not get there for a second year in a row. The San Francisco loss a couple of years ago I think was inspiring. The one last year was a little bit deflating. The rest of the NSC North is interesting. I've got the Bears, Brandon, You've got the Bears in Minnesota. Simon, You've only got Detroit. I will say for the Bears, obviously, what's that I also have green Bay, right, you have green Bay. I have Detroit, Chicago and green Bay. Brandon, hash Chicago, Minnesota and green Bay. Simon, you have green Bay and Detroit. I say this is an unbiased way as possible. Everything the Lions lost for Ben Johnson, the Bears are getting. I believe that their offense, they are peaked at skill positions. They made their offensive line into what I believe can at least be a top five or top ten offensive line. The biggest challenge is going to be what have they done to improve their pass rush? Not as much as you like as a fan, but I like what they did offensively enough for them to make the playoffs. Brandon, you've explained why you're out on Detroit. Explain Minnesota with a touch of a compliment to what I said about the Bears.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean with the Bears, really it's the same thing as the Lions. Literally it's Ben Johnson, but it's the same points. I believe in investing in the lines, winning in the trenches, and winning with good coaching. I think those are two edges as a better especially in the futures market, that a big edge on. And I think what the Lions lost, quite literally was what the Bears gained here with Ben Johnson and what Caleb Williams year two should look like with him, but also investing in that offensive line. I'm never gonna not like what you did if you go and get Joe Thoney and Drew Dolloman and Jonathan Jackson Grady Jarrett on defense, Like if you're bringing all the boys in the middle around the football, I'm gonna like what you did. So what Detroit didn't do that I didn't like is what the Bears did do And frankly, it's kind of what the Vikings did as well. The Vikings get back Christian darrisaw him and Brian O'Neal, I think are one of the better tackle combos in the league. On the offensive line, Darris only played six and a half games last year, but then they rebuilt the interior of the line with what basically was a pretty good Colts interior of the line in the last couple of years when healthy. They also go out and get Jonathan Allen and Javon Hargrave as swings in the defensive line, adding to what was already really talented defense. Now this was a defense that was really really good. And by my own thing I've said just half an hour ago, shouldn't I be weary that won't they fall back to the earth? I am wary of that. I think Brian floor's defense. We've seen that within the season before, even where they kind of get found out a little bit. The corners are still pretty weak on this team. Just to me, this is a high floor formula. We have a great offensive line, a ton of weapons on offense, a really good defense that may not be number two, but we know Flores gets defenses perform at a top ten level year after year when he has some talent there. The trenches are good, the coaching is good. There's just a lot to believe in. And I haven't said the one name that you maybe don't believe in, which is JJ McCarthy. We don't know about JJ McCarthy, but we didn't know about Sam Donald last year either, And frankly, we had all the reasons to not believe in Sam Donald. Why can't JJ McCarthy be as good as Sam Donald? Why can't he be as good as what Jared Goff was with a good play caller. Why can't JJ McCarthy be better than Sam Darnald. I don't know. With this blocking and I think two, I'm excited as a Vikings fan, and I will say normally that would make me bet against Minnesota, not for them. So don't take that with too much a grain of salt, but I'm excited to see what can this offensive do with a quarterback that can move a little bit. That's one thing that koc has not had is a guy that can move out of the pocket create a little bit with his legs. I think McCarthy gives them a new dimension to the offense they haven't had with the weapons, with the run game that they found last season, with the line, I think there's there are a lot of outs for Minnesota to still be good. I know that it all says fourteen and three expected wins like eleven wins. They were nine to one in all the one score games. We know all the reasons that they should be worse this year. This is a team that I traditionally would choose to be out on. I'm kind of purposefully swerving and saying, Okay, I think they can be worse than that record. They were not that good last year, but I think they could be a better team this year and still have a a floor in a structure that puts them in the mixing the playoffs.
Speaker 1: All right, Simon, anti Bears, anti Vikings, explain yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Vikings one's pretty easy. It just you have to pick some teams that made it last year to miss everything he just highlighted, is it's all red flags. Like me and you were so down on them coming to the season. It was pretty simple. We just didn't believe Sam Darnold, and he outperformed anybody's watle it's expectations in all those fourth quarters, any game that was tight, the other team, Wilton and he always stepped up and eventually it ran out like we saw in that Detroit then the Rams game, it just he had a peak and then eventually it just came crashing down. So it's all there, Like that defense obviously overperformed because they were so well coached in Minnesota. But it's another thing. It's the unknown quarterback. So yeah, they could potentially be a team to make it. But betting odds, going off past history and one score wins, we see it fluctuates and it is depending on coaching. Like coaching can be so good, you can rise above it. We've seen Pittsburgh door for years, but it's unlikely just in your division, it's so brutally tough, Like all these teams are so talented, so well coached and that's where it's tough. With Chicago, Chad. You have an offensive coordinator coming in doing his first coaching job in the NFL. Year one. We've seen a timetime again. It could be beautiful for five six weeks and then just crash and burn. One little thing goes wrong, he loses the locker room, whatever it may be, it could be really bad. We don't know what type of coaching style he has yet. We know he's a psycho like we've seen him talk and he's all in, I love it. Like he's an exact type of coach you want perfectionists, makes hi run the same play ten times until they run the exact way he wants it. That's what you need in the NFL. You need someone like that to that pays dunch and every little detail so kind of work. If they win, hell yeah. But if it goes bad, we've seen in Chicago it goes really bad because it's just so much weight on that team in that city and it's a first year head coach. So with me and them, it's it was really tough because I took the Detroit over them. That was like I was in between Chicago Detroit because I have green Bay in the winning the division, you know, if I'm betting wise, So that's where he just came down to. It was just tough. Am I really going to take Chicago year one? To me? I? Me and you talk about a little bit, chat. I just think this is another growing year for Caleb Williams. I would be so happy if they made it right, they string together a couple of those one score wins, right, huge jump because the offensive line, the coaching staff, no one to be shocked Chicago making It's just unlikely because it's just such a tough division.
Speaker 1: We both have, Simon, You and I both have Dallas In. Uh none of us have the commanders in.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, right, Yeah, This just feels like a natural regression regression for defenses, figuring out how to stop Jadan Daniels, the regression on fourth down conversions, the way he plays. Who knows the injury possibilities are just higher that defense. Since Brandon pointed out it is inconsistent year to year. Last year they were better than expected. Did they do anything to get that much better during the offseason? Simon, you and I both like Dallas In. I like it more because their defense is going to be healthier and they have Dac back. Can you give a little bit of insight because I want to do this one quickly because we got a lot still to get through, but a little bit of insight on Dallas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'll save all of for when we do divisional talks with Dallas, because you know how I feel about them. But it really is that simple, as Chad said it, It's just a team that's coming off a down year. They're going to have their quarterback back, have a number two receiver in pickings. That's a big upgrade. I think the offense line will be better because they were so young last year. They should have a running game. Just that defense, like that defense is a ton of talent. They just simply could not stop the run. And they feel like they've addressed that here in this offseason. So for me, that was easy one. With Washington, I don't know if we're all in agreement, but it's kind of what Chad said, right, It's the aggression of Jade and Daniels and just that defense, Like they have not improved that defense, it's in any way, and they just overachieved in so many ways. And we talked about that Chicago game. Felt could flipped their season. They felt like they could have gone either way. Right, they lose that game, Chicago, and it goes the other way, they win it, they go on the up and up. Chicago's got the other way, right, chicaganna win another game for like five six weeks after that loss to Washington. So, yeah, that's Washington. You're playing with house money. Like those fans, they don't care what we're saying right now. They believe in Jad and Dana's They think they have the greatest quarterback ever. And we all agree it's highly talented. But eighty percent of fourth down, it's just it's not it's disagression. It's impossible. Like he maybe is neo he's gonna break the matrix. But we've seen the NFL, these guys getting paid millions and millions of dollars. They will figure it out. They always do. Like doesn't matter how great you are, they will find your weakness and they will attack it after six months of grinding tape in the offseason. So yeah, Brandon, where we at with Washington in the same boat as me and Chad. I can't believe all three of us have them out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I very similar. I think the fourth down conversion rate is just crazy outlier and has to come down. I think two this is this year's Houston. This is the hype team with the young quarterback that everyone's excited about. And I think they got a little bit of their own excitement too. We see a team each year that's like, you know what, we're one or two pieces away, So what do they do rather than going out and building the roster the right way. Washington wasn't supposed to be this good last year. They're supposed to be slowly building up, and they're like, oh no, we're gonna go get Deebo, who hasn't been good for a couple of years anyways. And we're gonna get Laromie Tunsel, who's gonna fix our whole offensive line. But oh wait, there's still four other guys on the line, and their line get really found out as the season went on last year too. So I think we see those teams that make the big splash moves and everyone's excited, we already had a good team, now we had these two stars onto the team. They I think are the team that finished nine to one in games under a touchdown, including four straight to make the playoffs, then Tampa in the playoffs, and then frankly right place, right time to take advantage of the Detroit defense that just had nobody left. In the NBA, we see teams make the conference finals and then get high on their own juice and be like, oh, here we are. You know, the Atlanta Hawks did it. The Portland Trail Blazers did it. We see year after year and they're like, Okay, we're all on this core now, and it turns out that was the best it got with that group. You gotta still kind of pivot and go somewhere. Growth isn't linear, So I think Washington, I'm not out on Jaden. I just need the rest of the team to come with it. I think the rest of the team's going to take some work. Dallas, I'm less excited. But if you like Dallas, I think Parsons Defensive Player of the Year is a good way to invest in Dallas.
Speaker 1: I like that growth isn't linear, all right. We all like Philadelphia, Green Bay, San Francisco. We all have very different choices for winners of the NFC South. I like Atlanta, Simon likes Tampa Bay, Brandon Lakes Carolina. Let's think about that as we go into sort of figuring out what our final equation looks like. Brandon and Simon, you guys agree that your final team in the playoffs is the Los Angeles Rams. I'll let you start, Brandon. You have the Rams going in, So your final seven I believe would be Rams, Bears, Bikings, Eagles, Green Bay, San Francisco, and Carolina.
Speaker 3: Yes, why the Rams? Yeah? I think just with the Rams. They had a ton of injuries last year and still made the playoffs. Anyway, Now they get DeVonta Adams and replacement for Coup Devanta Adams plus Puka, I think can be just a really really good receiving corps. The offensive line also had a ton of injuries last year. Aleric Jackson and left tackle missed the first two games. Steve Avlo was hurt a lot of the season. Rob Havinstan was hurt. I think this year you get a better line. Stafford historically has very much reflected the play of his line, and frankly so is Sean mcvay's offense. We think of Sean McVay as this like crazy attacking offense. His offense goes where the run game goes and when the line is better, the run game with Karen Ronan is gonna be better. So I think this offense when healthy, which we can't just assume they're gonna be healthy. They're not going to be They're gonna miss some games when you have Devant Dams and Puka and Stafford, they're gonna miss a little bit of time. But when healthy, they're gonna be as good as anyone. We saw that Bills game last year right where they just looked, you know, they could put up any points, any score they needed to the defense. I don't love it, but I think it's young and improving, heading in the right direction. Matt Stafford has been my first MVP bet for the season, not because I'm all in on of the Rams, far from it. I'm not really believing the team, but if they hit what they could be, I think this offense, if they're healthy all year, it could be like a thirteen win team. And Stafford is a fifty to one MVP ticket is a ticket worth investing in for once. No brain drain In Los Angeles, Sean McVay finally didn't lose everybody that he's ever talked or out of copy with before, so we just kind of get to run back a team that was pretty good already. So a lot of options. I like the other teams in that division as well, but for now I've got the Rams in Simon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just love this Rams team. I like them more than forty nine ers. I know you guys are both bigger on the forty nine ers right now, and I agree for season long, that's fair because we've just seen this Rams team every year. They feel like they start slow and then they play catch up second half. So to me, it's it's understainable why people would be high in the forty nine ers. But when you break down the Rams, I just think across the board they have so much talent and adding Adams to this team is just insane, Like I can't believe that got him with Puka, that's just such a nice combo. And you know their defensive line. I think they're just severely underrated. Like they're a young, hungry group that we've seen time time again. If you coach it right, they grew and they get better. It's a big deal. Last year their final five to six games, that d Lion got so much better for that Rams team, they really improved. I feel like that Bill's game is a turning point for them. They really figured some stuff out after that. Different combinations, and I just love the way they played heading especially in the playoffs, like that Vikings game, that de line dominated against the Eagles. They're really really talented and dominant. So yeah, that Rams team, if I'm going to make one futures bet in NFC, wouldn't be the Eagles. It would still be this Rams team to win the Super Bowl. I just think they have the best value. Been there, done that, right, head coach, quarterback, we talk all the time. That's such a big deal in football, like knowing you've already climbed that mountain you won't get phase and those tough moments in the playoffs. That's a big deal to me. So yeah, Shanahan, I love them. But man, we've had some brutal, brutal losses on futures on him with that f forty nine are seeing to the Super Bowl. So yeah, just confidence level. I'm all in on this Rams team this upcoming season.
Speaker 1: I signon, give me your final seven for the NFC.
Speaker 2: So I went Dallas Eagles out of the East. Believe I Bucks, South, Green Bay, Detroit for the North and who do I have West? I believe I have the forty nine ers and just the Rams. So yeah, the loan division gotta go to the South right with the Bucks. It's just that that one's such a toss up. I know a lot of pros just like Brandon here, they like Panthers, mean and Chad, we drank that kool aid. I would love for that to work out, But give it out on this show. I'm gonna go. I'm gonna play it safe in case people are betting stuff for giving out here and just go Bucks. It's just I know they lost, you know, argument in the best office corodinators in football. But yeah, just we can't stop our Baker love. We just love Baker on this show.
Speaker 1: All right. I am on Philadelphia, Green Bay, San Francisco, Detroit, Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta. Brandon, one more reminder, Philadelphia, Green Bay, San Francisco, Tampa Bay, Chicago, Minnesota and the Rams love you wild. I mean, that's what we're given. Everybody's got an option for something with this one. Brandon Anderson from the Dungeons of North Dakota, thanks for coming on the podcast and creating this game that we could play, called Who Will Make the Playoffs in the NFL. The Favorites will return with our next episode Thursday on the Action Network YouTube page with special guest Rich Reebar talking top ten quarterbacks. Also check it out with clips and highlights at Real Chad Milman on YouTube. Download US with Spotify, Apple Pods, wherever you get your pause, rate, reviews, subscribe ups, five stars, say whatever you want. Feedback is a gift Until next time, Love you. Action Network reminds you please gamble responsibly. If you or someone you care about has a gambling problem, help is available twenty four to seven at one eight hundred Gambler