Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass Podcast. It's a busy day in Baltimore as the first round of the NFL Draft took place Thursday night and the Ravens selected wide receiver Zay Flowers out of Boston College. He's a dynamic, big play threat who had twenty nine receiving touchdowns and more than three thousand receiving yards in his college career. Soon after the pick, Zay talk with members of the media on a conference call after he was selected in Kansas City.
Speaker 2: Zay, what was your interactions with the Ravens leg before the draft and did you see them all long as a legitimate option to take you.
Speaker 3: That was probably my best visit. That was probably my favorite visit.
Speaker 4: And I know if I reached twenty two, I had a feeling it was gonna it was gonna pick me. So it weren't out perfect man, ready to get to work, ready to get some wins, ready to go play a lamar, ready to go play. Oh, ready to go build his receiving core all the way up.
Speaker 5: Ryan me, it is a I was curious. Steve Smith Senior said, you remind him of himself? Was he somebody that you always looked up to and just what does that mean to you to be kind of compared to him?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been looking.
Speaker 4: I've been watching his tape since I was what six or seven years old. My dad always told me, it don't matter about size, is what's in your chest. And he always kept me motivated and said, you got to be like Steve Smith. Steve Smith was a dog, So that's what made me look That's what made me like him and love him and watch him a lot. So it means a lot to look up to him and to get to meet him was extremely great.
Speaker 6: Jamison Hensley, Hey, you kind of mentioned a little bit about playing with Lamar and you know, talk about playing alongside a couple of guys, Uh that you've watched.
Speaker 4: I mean that's two guys that's explosive that can make plays at any time. You know, you know what Lamar can do, and you know you know what Odell can do. You you've seen flashes of it. It just so happened that he got hurt. But now he's back. It looks like he one hundred so and then I'm coming in. Then we got bait on the outside and we got JK in the backfield.
Speaker 3: So it's gonna be it's gonna be fun.
Speaker 7: With Brown.
Speaker 2: Here's the combine you were telling about. You're a guy who can play outside inside. You know, I know there's been talk about you know your side, but can you just talk about why you think in this offense you'll be able to be a guy who they can move around to any.
Speaker 4: Spot because I could do whatever you need me to do. I could run every route you give me, I can separate, I can make competitive catches. So whatever you gotta do to play on the outside, I feel like I can do and I could do it at a high level.
Speaker 7: We'll go to Brian Whacker. He's a two things.
Speaker 8: What do you remember about in the war growing up down there in the South Florida? And then secondly, how important was that stay in Boston College for your final year inter your development?
Speaker 7: You think you got out of that?
Speaker 3: Excuse me, I didn't hit it. I didn't hit a second question, just.
Speaker 7: The importance of staying in Boston College.
Speaker 8: This last year and what you got out of that.
Speaker 4: My first time like seeing something about the Mark was when he made the high school move and he like pointed at him and walking into the end zone. And when I when I found out that was him, I knew it was like, oh, yeah, you're gonna be special when you get to the league. But while I stayed at BC because BC gave me my first opportunity. They gave me opportunity to play Power five football, and I knew what I was gonna get from BC, and I was able to showcase that.
Speaker 7: We'll go to Javin Richardson.
Speaker 3: When you four consecutive wide receivers that.
Speaker 9: Went up the board when you were chosen, what was it like waiting in the green when you had so many guys coming off from quarterbacks and running backs to linemen, and uh, they weren't picking wide out.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I know if I got I knew if I got the twin two that I knew I was gonna be a raven and we're just gonna make every team that damn pick pay for it.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Cordell Woodland.
Speaker 10: They you had a career high and catch his gyards and touchdowns this this past year of Boston College.
Speaker 3: What changed for you in your season in your senior year. I don't think nothing really changed.
Speaker 4: I think I had more opportunities to go out and create plays and have more freedom in the offense and move around in positions and not just sticking to one position and running a certain amount of routes.
Speaker 7: We'll go to Ryan mink.
Speaker 5: I think what I was just curious, you know, with the four wide receivers going in a row, was there any kind of competitiveness?
Speaker 3: I know you're a competitive player.
Speaker 5: Was there any kind of feeling of, hey, I wanted to be the first or whatnot.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I've never even really paid attention to it. I just wanted to get my foot in the door and have a team give me a chance to I could prove him like right about why they dribted me.
Speaker 7: We'll go to Brian Whacker again. You're good, Brian Cordell.
Speaker 11: Okay, all right, well they thank you very much. We appreciate your time. And again, congratulations everyone. Could I get a oh, Jonas, go ahead?
Speaker 7: Excuse me?
Speaker 3: Good man? Uh say, congratulations on the pick.
Speaker 12: I think you were connected as far back as the Shrine Bowl to the Ravens. It looked like they were, you know, kind of can you ever move? What do you remember from that experience? And I guess what did you take away from that early stage in the preachaff process.
Speaker 4: So honestly, I built a relationship with coach Twomore early, Like at the Shrine Bowl, we just sat on the sideline because I practiced one day and the rest I sat out and we were just chopping up the whole time. He just like picking my brain, like, well he think you could play outside? Oh so you think your dog like so I like that kind of like competitiveness and like him challenging me, and I build a connection with him right there.
Speaker 7: Let's actually go to Childs Walker.
Speaker 10: Yeah, his a congratulations was it was it wild to uh to get picked on the same day that Lamar Jackson signed his extension. I mean when when you saw that news earlier, did that did that kind of feel like, hey, I want to be part of that that celebration.
Speaker 4: When I when I seen him sign that, and I was like, oh if I go there, there's gonna be a lot of trouble on the field. But I was happy for Him'm glad he got his what he wanted. And now we now we double juice up.
Speaker 7: Ryan mink Isaiah.
Speaker 5: I don't think we asked you just what were the emotions, you know when you got the call and knew it was going to be the Ravens. While you're in the green room, just what was running through your head?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 4: Honestly, I was just saying, let's get to work, Let's let's go win, Let's go play guys, all.
Speaker 7: Right, and we will close it out with Kyle Barber.
Speaker 3: It's they. Congratulations on being picked.
Speaker 12: You talked about playing on the outside and you know being a dog and what that requires.
Speaker 5: Do you have a preference on playing on the outside versus inside as a wide receiver?
Speaker 4: I feel like I could be moved all around, so I don't really have a preference.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 11: Well, thank you everybody, and Zay thank you again. Congratulations. We look forward to meeting you in person here very soon, sir.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Now. This is the Ravens Press Pass podcast. If you haven't done so already, make sure you subscribe to this feed. Also go over and check us out on the Lounge podcast feed. We have a full breakdown of the Zay Flowers edition, as well as the big news that happened just before the draft, which was a long term contract extension with quarterback Lamar Jackson. Subscribe to both podcast feeds and also leave a rating and a review on both We appreciate you listening.
Speaker 12: Have a great day.