Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to and that's what you really miss podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Jenna, I am Kevin. Welcome, Yeah, welcome so much, Welcome so much. Yep, welcome so much everyone.
Speaker 1: Wow that we're doing today. Yeah, this is an exciting episode. And also we're recording on an off day, so it's like kind of fun and fresh.
Speaker 2: So fresh. I was so looking forward to this episode, and even as much as I was looking forward to it, I was still surprised, gooped and gagged by totally so much that happens in this episode. So many memories that we have. I don't know why. This is one of those ones that just sticks out to me right right, to both of us, a.
Speaker 1: Lot of memories. It's so weird, and he is the beginning of our era with Eric Stoltz are one of our favorite directors. I think maybe that might be why there's just so many Like it was like our eyes opened up a little bit on set, I think, and so yeah, let's let's just do it. Let's say there's still lots to talk about.
Speaker 2: Let's just do it. Season two, Episode four, Duets originally aired October twelfth, twenty ten.
Speaker 1: The number one song was still Just the Where You Are by Bruno Mars and number one movie was Wall Street Money Never Sleep.
Speaker 2: And there was quite the controversy this week back in twenty ten because the GQ magazine cover with Diana, Leah and Corey I believe it was shot by Terry Richardson.
Speaker 3: I believe, so they all know great but everyone looks stunning was a little controversial for our show.
Speaker 2: I'm not entirely sure why, because the things we talk about on the show I feel like match the content of this cover a little.
Speaker 1: Bit, a little bit. I just think that it was a like I think the it was a little racy, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think the exacts felt like this was a slight, a slight veer from the path of like the underdog of the characters. Maybe not the content of the show, but of the characters, because these gals look real sexy and Corey's got his hands in all the right places.
Speaker 2: I remember them when this came out and it was such.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think a lot of people knew that they did it, and then it came out and it was like, yes, they didn't ask for permission.
Speaker 3: They asked for forgiveness, forgiveness, I mean, hey, press is press.
Speaker 2: It was I think it was a great decision. It was a lot of controversy. It's one of those things where Fox was very good at, like protecting the image of the show, where I think we were because it was a high school show. They were protecting it like we were all high schoolers. Which was funny because you remember when we went to London the summer before and we did a talk show and Russell Brand was on it and I there wasn't enough We did do a promo for the show and there wasn't enough room on the couch for all of us, so I sat, I sat in his lap and then while the host Alan Carr was you know, doing the teaser or bump or whatever it was, Russell Brand and I started to fake make out on this couch in the background the whole time, and then Fox put the kebash. They're like, no, no, you can't use that. Oh I don't remember that, because I thought it was funny. I'm like, comedy, Oh, I.
Speaker 1: Remember you saying that, lat but I don't remember the making it.
Speaker 2: Or because you guys were looking at you were being professional and looking at and then I remember later that night, I think it was I then told what it was just you and me on that press and Matt Morrison was there.
Speaker 1: That's right for that.
Speaker 2: I don't know why it was then he was in a random story, but yeah. Then Ben Fox was like you did what. I was like, it's so funny, isn't it. They're like, hold please, and they made a call and got it killed and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, no, I don't No, It's like our Monico pictures. You never think it's going to make it to the ess And of course, okay, So we did something interesting also in advance of the Rocky Horror Glee episode, they decided to release the album, the Rocky Horror Album, the Tribute to the Picture Show. It was seven tracks from the episode and they were I guess they were teasing it to get excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were off the air for a week, so in between they put out this little soundtrack to preempt the airing of Rocky Horror, which is our next episode to review. Yes, so, like we said, Eric Stoltz incredible incredible actor. Eric Stoltz is also an incredible director and Eric came in this was his first episode of several with us and really, like you said, Jenna opened her eyes to so many things because he is an actor's director.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 2: And if you watch the show and I watched this episode through the eyes of all the little things that must have happened in the scenes because of him, Yes, you'll notice there's edits of reaction shots that linger just a little longer than they normally would have. There's less cuts. It's because he's he always wanted those real reactions where yes, you have like your main characters in the scenes, but he was really interested in making sure everyone got some screen time.
Speaker 1: Additionally, you notice that in a lot of the high school hallways there's always way more extras and way more people and things going on. So the thing about Eric was he talked to the extras. He gave them direction. He had kids making out in the hallway, he had kids throwing paper airplanes or like like joking with each other, and so it was a lot of like even the extras felt like they had something, an intention and something to do. And you know, I was like, the hallways are very crowded, and I was like, oh, this is Eric.
Speaker 2: There were all these little shots too, of like between people through arms of people that we had we hadn't done before, and that was and then really sweet.
Speaker 1: Additionally, there was a couple of things that Eric put In had. He had some rules and Eric was an actress director, and he did not let us have lines, scripts pages on set. So every morning when we got to work in our trailer would be all the scenes for the day that were that we were doing, and they would be on these little pieces of like rectangular paper. They were small, and the sides were and the the lines were really small, the text was small. We were not allowed to bring those onto set when Eric was directing. Normally most people have them in their hand in rehearsal, still kind of learning lines. I think there's a myriad of reasons why he did that, but a lot of it I think had to do with preparation. I kind of worked my way around it after a while, and I would take screenshots of the sides and bring me to set. Oh yeah, because even if I had done the preparation, I still like to look at my lines before I went into to shoot. So that was my process and so I just figured out a way around it. But it was really interesting and we were like, what he's making rules, he's doing what and some people were not like could care less. Some people cared a lot anyway. So that was one thing. And then another one, do you remember, was when we made our days. So making our days means that you complete your day and all the scenes you're supposed to do in it in twelve hours. Normally we would work fourteen sixteen hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and sometimes you even have to drop a scene to pick up another day.
Speaker 1: Right. Eric generally would make his days and he would move very quickly, so we were kind of like whoa, whoa, especially coming off the heels of Alfonso, which have you heard in our last podcast. Alfonso really like to take his time and it was very much with his eye and yeah, it was total opposite. So it was a lot of adjusting for us when like you know, you had your guest directors. But Eric was very efficient and.
Speaker 2: He'd show up in a suit. We met him before and he would come and talk to us and we'd talk through some things. Then it comes to actually shooting shooting day and he'd be in a full full suit. So cy yes, every single day.
Speaker 1: What a lovely person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he cared, you know, there were multiple times when he came back and he's like, I just wish like this happened. And there's like one line of this character saying this thing. Because he was so concerned about making sure the kids got represented fairly in the show and more screen time. You wanted screen time for everyone, and I think this is a perfect episode for him because everyone does have more screen time and Harry has several lines and you know things like at this point that he hadn't had a lot of lines, and so you know, Eric carried that torch. Yeah, for as long as he directed episodes of it. Will point out some things too, because he actually added some things scenes that were not scripted and because he thought they would be really nice thematically and story wise, theatrically to add in and it worked and they're beautiful. So there are a lot of songs in this episodes.
Speaker 1: There were a lot of songs in this episode because it really was about the songs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's not a lot of plot in this episode. There's not a whole lot of plot.
Speaker 1: Really great songs to be honest. Okay, so we've got what we got? What do we have?
Speaker 2: We have? Don't go breaking my heart? River Deep Mountain, High the jazz Hot sing with you, I'm Born Again and Happy Days are here again, Get Happy.
Speaker 1: And we're missing to two cast members, so there's no no Shoes, Lovester, no Jane in this episode, and surprisingly there's no.
Speaker 2: Mark Sally uh huh. And do you remember what.
Speaker 1: There were some issues with Mark making his own music mm hmm, and found to get so deep into it, it's not really our story.
Speaker 4: How.
Speaker 2: Well it personally pissed me off.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mark made his own album, which he was not illegally allowed to do, and then just released it and then put it out and so he got in trouble and so basically it was like a punishment that you're suspended for an episode, but it's like getting suspended from school, right where he still got paid, right, he just didn't work for the week as far as I know, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, yeah, yeah, he was guaranteed, he was a series regular. He was guaranteed a certain amount of episodes and I think they were twenty two, so I think, yeah, yeah, he got paid.
Speaker 2: Anyway, what happened, you know last season was I got in trouble because I was technically in a record contract with Geffen Records from the Boy man, I was in pre Glee and had to pay to get out of it, and Fox helped negotiate that. It was you know, Geffen wanted like three million dollars. Was like, what right, I'm so poor, and then yeah, they worked out a deal. Long story short, and so I was getting money taken out of my checks every week to pay this thing back, right, and then Mark knowing, I mean, that was Unknowingly, there was like a verbal agreement between Fox and Geffen and they both allowed me to do it. But of course there's nothing in writing, and Fox ended up apologizing to me, but there was So then Mark knowingly releases an album and gets off an episode and he gets paid.
Speaker 1: Well, you guys, and here's the I mean, at least there's no there's no like real like, oh you know this is better for you. You know, at least it was this. But Mark just released it literally into the universe, and I don't know that anybody really saw it, so there wasn't a huge record label, I promise, Okay, moving moving on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he was off for a couple episodes, Like I think it was like two or three episodes that he was paid vacation paid vacation.
Speaker 1: Okay. So in this episode, as the glee club gains a new member, mister grudov Street Sam Evans, there's a duets competition that changes a lot of relationships within the group. Finn and Rachel have their own little side thing going, and Kurt struggles to be Kurt struggles on being the only openly gay teenager in school and in the town, which affects all of this do at competition.
Speaker 2: So it does you know what, I think we should sort of start with because there's so little plot in this episode. Let's just get through the plot, which is basically Kurt. Yeah, because yeah, Kurt's got a couple of things going on. He sees Sam come in and he's like, oh, he's gay. He's got dyed blonde hair, Like he's on my team for sure. Yeah, and it's it is a little aggressive and you're like okay, and he sort of talks Sam into being his duet partner.
Speaker 1: Sweet Sam says yes, Sweet.
Speaker 2: Sam, Yes, and he's a good guy and he's great about it. And then Finn gets wind of this and it's like, you cannot do this. You're painting a target on his back and it's some of that high school like bs that is my favorite in Glee, when like the episodes aren't about anything but high school stuff, right, And then it's also so frustrating because these kids are like so naive, Like, come on, he's not painting, you know, putting a target on his back necessarily.
Speaker 1: Well, the sticks are always so high, right, it feels like everything is Yes, the stakes feel very high even though they're not. And that's what it's like in high school, right, yeah, exactly. Yeah, So Kurt, well, Finn gets wind of this. But then also on the side, Finn and Rachel are having this this conversation. I think they're going to win obviously the the dou at competition, and Rachel is weirdly selfishly but unselfishly trying to get somebody else to win to build morale so that they do win at regionals. And so their plan is they're going to get the new kid to win because that will boost timare keep him around and everybody will feel good that it's not.
Speaker 2: Just Chel and Rachel's bedroom of them plotting is so good, it's very good. I thought it was hilarious. And then you know, meanwhile, Kurt is having these issues with trying to figure out Sam's thing. He opens up to his dad and who's taken care of postheart attack, and Bert sort of doesn't side with Kurt and this, and it's like, well, like if he's not gad and also like you weren't totally forthcoming with me about the thing with the Finn thing because you also had a crush on Finn. And it's nice to show the perspective, like if you're the only out gay person, how else are you supposed to figure out if there's any if anybody else is gay without sort of being the aggressive one totally totally, And it presents that problem. And Bert's like, I think you're just gonna have to sort of suck it up for now until there's somebody as brave as you to be out. And so Kurt releases Sam from the duets of it all, and meanwhile Sam's been slushy cleaned up by Quinn. They have the most charming romantic scenes like.
Speaker 1: Yeah and and yeah. So Quinn and Sam end up being partners, winning the competition spoiler alert, and going to Breadsticks on a date and it's very very cute. The scenes are very intimate and charming.
Speaker 2: I needs me some breads.
Speaker 1: Okay, we were getting there. We're getting there. So yeah, so the competition, mister Shoe gives a little incentive for them to work hard. There's a prize and they win a free meal of breadsticks. And everybody's very excited about this.
Speaker 2: Verespecially when Santana Lopez.
Speaker 1: These are like some of the most ingrained like lines that she delivers.
Speaker 2: I also think like she's getting more and more stuff, you know, as the season goes on, and so she had a lot in this episode. I did not remember that half of these numbers were in this episode.
Speaker 1: Oh I did. I Well, to be fair, Yes, I know what you mean. They I was like, oh, it's this number. I just knew there were a lot of numbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we did a lot of these numbers on tour. Yes, this episode's music stuck with us for so long.
Speaker 1: Totally totally. Okay, Well let's let's get into some of these duets.
Speaker 2: Let's just say, yeah, let's just talk about the duets, because I feel like this this episode is duets slash Riverdy Mountain High.
Speaker 1: Right. Well, we just talked we did lucky, right, So Quinn and Sam do a very cute rendition of Lucky, which we did on tour, which is also very cute, and I mean, let's just get to it. Let's let's talk about We Were Mountain High. It's one of the best numbers of the series if you asked me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is by far one of the greatest things that Clee contributed to pop culture.
Speaker 1: It actually only gets better every time you watch it.
Speaker 2: You know, like I even think them performing it. As soon as Amber opens her mouth, like, oh, she is full throated, full chested. Everyone warmed up that day and studio and those two had like a proper sing off because no one can keep up with Amber, but not ever it's fully keeping up with Amber and this number. Yeah, and the choreography phenomenal. We were dying again. It's one of those reformances where we were screaming actually during the filming of this, like yelling at them like we were out of meat and greet. We were at the Mercedes.
Speaker 1: And that's right, And you could see them getting riled up because of us, Like you could see them working harder because we were getting so riled like it was really fun. They were definitely worked off for energy and we I mean, I was we were there for it, and then every night on tour we also you'll see or you you know, if you've seen tour or any video, we're all doing the dance gaps in the back. We all know this dance. This is the best and this is the most fun and gosh, it's so good. And then the little line afterwards, like because we go in to Brits, they just had as rolling. I was rolling, screaming and rolling a good number.
Speaker 2: I what a good number. And what leads to this also is this magical scene between Brittany and Santana where they talk about late sweet lady kisses and scissoring, which one of our producers. How they found this out, I don't know, but it was the use of the term scissoring was the first time in American network television as well, was the first time it was used in a series with wide family viewership, and it got covered like internationally that was sissoring.
Speaker 1: We'll just leave it at that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: Oh so good.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And it also, you know, more and more into the canon of Britanna of building that up because Santana's like, this isn't like real for me, I just need a warm body underneath me. Bommy talks and Juvi.
Speaker 1: That is my favorite quote.
Speaker 2: So many of these lines, and we.
Speaker 1: Have to talk about it obviously because of Brittany and Santana splitting up. In this episode. You and Brittany have a big storyline that really is a milestone for Arty.
Speaker 2: Aarty loses his v card this episode.
Speaker 1: That's big. That's big. It's the beginning of the Tina Mike triangle, already triangle and already loses his virginity to Brittany.
Speaker 2: The fear of having you know what was more nerve wracking than having Heather pick me up and put me into bed was doing that run at the beginning of the scene. Dude, Yeah, vocal run at the beginning of it, because you know, we always used to being in a recording studio at that point, so I wasn't trying to sing live ever. And then Heather was so funny in this and I remember Eric being so lovely about this scene about putting me into bed. I do move my foot if right before I get put onto the bed, my foot does.
Speaker 1: Me well, to be fair, that is like a it's a scary thing to.
Speaker 2: Be picked up. I knew my foot was going to hit the bed, so I was trying to lift it alone.
Speaker 1: Just the fact that she picks you up.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh.
Speaker 1: My god, this is crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then.
Speaker 1: We made sweet, sweet, sweet sweet love that was not love at all.
Speaker 2: No, because I then shortly afterwards break up with her because Santana is pissed about this. And I have referenced the scene many times when I say I and I could not be in scenes together. This is the scene. So she's talking to me and telling me how Brittany has sex with everyone and I'm not special and she was using me. And if you notice, I don't ever look at her. I am looking forward, even when she gets down to talk to me at eye level. I am looking forward because I think we got one take where we didn't break It seems not even that funny. We just could not like beat our characters to each other and not break out laughing. It was. It was bad, So we got through it.
Speaker 1: You did. It's a very funny scene.
Speaker 2: And also, just to wrap up this little storyline, when Brittany talks about, you know, she wanted to share spaghetti with Artie Lady in the tramp style, and there's that shot at breadsticks with Sam and Quinn and it pans over to Brittany giving the little meatball role that was not scripted.
Speaker 1: Eric.
Speaker 2: Eric had Heather at work a little extra long and added that scene in because he just thought it'd be really nice.
Speaker 1: Really cute.
Speaker 2: It's so cute, and I loved that. I love that he fought to get those things in because it's not easy. These are there's a lot packed into like forty five minutes, and to add anything cost time, cost money, and he fought for little things like that.
Speaker 1: He did.
Speaker 2: He did another great duet this episode. Jenna. Let's talk about Tina and Mike.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about it. Well, Tina and Mike, this is like their first like scenes that you get to see them. And chicken feet became like a whole thing about eating the chicken feet, which was so strange.
Speaker 2: But it was really very funny in that scene.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you, it was you know, Eric brought the best out in Tina, he really did, and like it just made me comfortable to work with him, and I hadn't had a ton of scenes either, you know, up to that point, and working with Harry who was kind of new, it was really it was really fun. It was just fun to like support Harry and his like new character or like his like features anyway, So this number is so cute. I don't I don't remember loving this number as much, like doing this number as much, because I was like, yeah, whenever, it's like fine.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's so cute, and Harry's so good, so good, you guys are so good together. And yeah, Harry's phenomenal in this He's so good. I mean, he's holding that whole number. I'm just kind of there to be to help him out.
Speaker 1: But it is really cute and it's I love the triangle of Arty and Mike.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tina tries to go to dinner and duet with Arti, and Artie wasn't having it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, You're like, we're friends, you can do this, and and then you're in love. Is upset and she gets crapped on again, so she's going for Mike.
Speaker 2: The chicken feet.
Speaker 1: Tell me about the chicken feet. It's such a thing.
Speaker 2: It was. It was like a half a scene about dim sum and chicken feet and couple's therapy.
Speaker 1: Tina was upset at the idea that everything has to be Asian, right, and I appreciate that. It's kind of like me. It's like, it's not all that I am, it's all that all that Harry is either, but his character is very into dim Sum and Asian Asian couples therapy. But I like that Gina is kind of like, not everything has to be Asian Asians, the Asian camp dim Sum chicken feet. I do love him some too, but not I don't love chicken feet.
Speaker 2: Chicken feet is not it?
Speaker 1: Not it? Okay. So so they do their scene. It's very cute. This is the beginning of the triangle. And and that's where and I think Eric, like you said, with the reactions and things, was very clear on creating that triangle versus just making it kind of already and Brittany and you know Tina and Mike.
Speaker 2: So I had lots of reaction shots that we probably wouldn't have had if it weren't that's right of us. Also a reaction shot of I believe it right after a river deep Mountain Hi, where she's fully biting her nails and like looks off just to the side of camera, like almost at cameras like that. That's Heather, Yes, e. There's a lot of that in these episodes. Thin and Rachel do Douggle break in my Heart, which is cute, so cute and so wild because Rachel is fully acting out of storyline that we are not privy to. And then she sits down and has her confession about I'm really selfish and you're a good person, right right, which makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 3: So funny.
Speaker 2: This whole episode their number with you I'm Born Again is.
Speaker 1: We were howling last night watching this. It was very funny the performances, and I remember, do you remember watching this while they were doing it? It was very funny, like I remember trying to hold it together.
Speaker 2: Those two doing sort of this like amped up comedy thing together.
Speaker 3: So good, flawless, really really funny, really funny.
Speaker 1: I like this.
Speaker 2: I like songs.
Speaker 1: I like that duet better than I like Run Joey Run. Just putting it out there.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, nobody asked for your opinion.
Speaker 1: Well this is half my podcast, sow, I'm giving it to you.
Speaker 2: I have to say shout out to Fordham University because Heather and I went there a couple of weeks ago and we were asked what our favorite songs were, and somebody shouted run Joey Run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the place erupted. That's funny, it's crazy, that's really funny.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's happened. Wow, you would have hated that.
Speaker 1: I would have loved to see it. Though I'd love to see it. It's hard for me to understand because I haven't. I didn't witness that house full of chaos, of overrun, Joey Run. But I'm obviously you guys have made it clear to us, so I'm listening.
Speaker 5: Hey dudes, this is Christine Taylor and this is David Lasher.
Speaker 4: You may remember us as teenage co stars on the Nickelodeon show Hey Dude Back in the Day.
Speaker 5: Now decades later, we are together again as hosts of the Hey Dude the Nineties called podcast, where we revisit amazing nineties nostalgia.
Speaker 4: From music to movies, to television and comedy.
Speaker 5: We cover it all, and we get to do it with an array of guests who made their mark in that magical era.
Speaker 4: Stars from Saved by the Bell, Married with Children, Blossom, Clueless, Full House, Beverly Hills, nine O two one zero.
Speaker 2: The list goes on, and David.
Speaker 5: Don't forget our number one fan, mister Ben Stiller.
Speaker 2: How could I forget Ben Stiller. I mean, it was so nice for us to both meet him for the first time.
Speaker 4: He was an amazing guest. We've also had on other nineties megastars like Jason Priestley, Melissa Joan Hart, cal Mitchell, and Mayam Biollick just the name a few, and there's so much more to come.
Speaker 1: So sit back, relax.
Speaker 5: You can even binge our the episodes and make sure to catch a new one each week.
Speaker 4: Listen to Hey Dude the nineties called on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 1: So then they do Yes, Leah does her third number, Rachel has her third number, Happy to He's her here Again, which we do on tours well, which was off the bat.
Speaker 2: A really sweet scene between Kurt and Rachel where Rachel comes to kurt SLocker and it's like, we're a lot more similar than you probably realize, and that's rude, and then has this really lovely speech about how he may be lonely, but he has twelve other people who love him just the way he is in Glee Club, even if it's not right romantically right. It's a really really nice moment and it's nice, you know, off the heels of Rachel pretending to sort of be a good person and not selfish about who's going to win. And this is actually the real, genuine nice thing she does, right, Yes, and then she does If you have not seen the original black and white video of Happy Days Are Here Again, get happy with Barbara Streis and Judy Garland, go watch it a and be it with this performance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think she has this ingrained into her brain to.
Speaker 2: Every movement and look and smile, shrug. Is that Barbara Streison in that number? And I don't think I realized it at the time. I realized it years later when I saw the videos, like, wait, this looks very familiar, and Leah had something very specific in mind and crushed it.
Speaker 1: It's Barbara, Barbara crushing And yes, that one I always remember, like I think about running from around the stadium at that point when they're ring that number because we were getting ready to do single Ladies anything or something like that. So my memory is.
Speaker 2: Like, no, it's right because this number was down the B stage, that's right, and you guys are on the B stage and it's all me talking, and I feel like this number we're all sort of like killing time. Yah, so get you guys.
Speaker 1: Chris is there exactly? So speaking of Chris, that was that what you were going to say?
Speaker 2: Or no, it was not?
Speaker 1: Please no, speaking of Chris, I forgot that the jazz hot was in this episode.
Speaker 2: I did too, and there was quite the story with this.
Speaker 1: Do you remember are you thinking about the Golden Globes? Yes, oh, we're going to tell that. Well okay, well number one, this number. I don't know why they put Tina in this number. They they made me thank you dance with all the dancers who do like the vocal adrenaline. Heather's in it, Harry's in it. Why is team there?
Speaker 2: This is a choreographer, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Why Brittany is in it with Chris? Why am I there? I remember stressing so hard. This dance was so hard. It doesn't look hard. It was very effing hard. I was like, I don't belong here. And then if you look at the kick line, it's all these dancers and then short Jenna.
Speaker 2: It just drops the lines a lot of high ki.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, and the whole thing is turned stop, turn stop, turn stop. It's a lot of core work that I didn't have at the time anyway, So what happened, Kevin? What is this? What is this story that we're telling.
Speaker 2: The Hollywood Form Press, which is the association that hosts and votes on the Golden Globe Awards, came to visit set that day while we were filming this, and they were watching Chris rehearse the number like pre film filming, and the music cutout, which, by the way, never happens never, and there's a slight pause, and we're like, oh my god, we're trying to make a good impression on the Hobod Form Press, and then Chris just starts singing it.
Speaker 1: We're mid song, We're like mid song and the music cuts out and we're just still going right.
Speaker 2: Yes, And everyone like pauses for a second, and then Chris just keeps going the show must go on, which normally wouldn't have happened because like it's a rehearsal, but the HFPA is there, so keep it going, and he sang the rest of the song. You all danced through it, and that boy got himself a Golden Globe.
Speaker 1: I forgot that. We kept going and then Chris was singing, oh.
Speaker 2: Because I was in the audience like, oh my gosh, and he want to go in Clobe that year.
Speaker 1: So that's it didn't hurt, didn't It didn't that only that happened once one other time when we were actually on set shooting a scene and we just kept singing because it was on Dot's coverage, and we kept singing, and literally the three of us were singing acappella. It was Amber, me and I and we were singing shake It, Shake it Out, acappella, and everybody was holding their stuff and I was like, wow, we really sound good. And Doc kept, you know, she was crying the whole number, so like they just kept going, and I was like, wow, this is a this is a good song.
Speaker 2: That was a beautiful version.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I owned the record.
Speaker 3: I getting back on track, so a little jazz.
Speaker 2: There was a little fun fact about this episode two. So I were talking, we're sort of talking all circles about this, but so I was on an episode of The Years Before Glee by.
Speaker 1: Year Famous, Year Before, So Famous.
Speaker 2: And there is an episode of the Office that came out a month after this called viewing Party, and one of the characters gets everybody over to their house to watch Glee together and the episode they're watching is Duets and Steve Carell's characters asked who his favorite character is and he says the invalid, referring to Artie more Meta and Jennet Fisher, who is one of the co hosts of the Office Lady's podcast. It's a great podcast. Go listen to it if you're a fan of the Office, but she was saying that she actually like talked about this in their recap episode of Viewing Party about how they weren't really allowed to pull many clips because one was expensive and they couldn't show anything that hadn't been shown before, so they had to use an episode that had previously aired, and this had just aired, just how I just thought that was so weird because I remember when that episode came out and I had some friends texting me being like, did you know about this? And I did not know that Steve Correll's character was going to pick Artis's favorite characters like respect, thank you.
Speaker 1: I would have been upset, yeah, for sure. Had they not, we would have been I think we all would have been upset. Yeah, But I didn't. I don't think we knew about this.
Speaker 2: We didn't know what was happening. No, I did not know until it was on.
Speaker 1: That's so crazy. Wow, how fun.
Speaker 2: It's not fun?
Speaker 1: That is fun.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: I mean that's pretty much the episode.
Speaker 2: There was one other significant thing that happened, sid, Oh, tell me the introduction of Chord's first impression. Yes, yes, just forget and that's what really got Quinn you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, definitely it got us all.
Speaker 2: And he's a bottle blonde.
Speaker 1: It's so funny. It's so funny. I forgot his hair was that blonde when he came in. And also I'm just so glad his impression made it in.
Speaker 2: Can we also talk about how he got a haircut halfway through the episode?
Speaker 1: Did he?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: And I feel like there was some stuff about that too.
Speaker 2: Sults was not happy because it's a bad haircut, right like they gave him. He went from justin bieber bang to blunt bang right, and all of a sudden, somebody's performing and it cuts to Chord in the choir room and he's got a blunt bang just in like two scenes.
Speaker 1: Were we doing Rocky Heart at the same time?
Speaker 3: Ye?
Speaker 2: Possibly, I can't remember, because that's the haircut he has to Rocky Horse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it. And it had to because he was in that gold Gong. So I don't know, maybe that's really.
Speaker 2: Weird because he has seen throughout the entire episode where he has like the normal sort of beeverish looking hair, and then.
Speaker 1: That's funny hairgate. Hairgate. I mean, we had quite a few of those. I think.
Speaker 2: I just River Deep Mountain High is one of the best thing that's ever happened to me.
Speaker 1: Oh, hands down. I was watching it. When we were watching it last night, I was like, this is truly goes down in history, not just Glee history, history.
Speaker 2: Her history, her. Okay, well done.
Speaker 1: You don't have a song in this number in this episode. It reminds me of the pilot where you like didn't get like really good at night. I shouldn't have to do it, No, but you did lose your beak card. Yeah, So like it's I feel like it's all's fair. Okay, let's do some TARTI takes, Okay, cringe moments.
Speaker 2: Cringe moments. Honestly, I don't know, Like I don't really I suppose you know that Rachel and Finn number should be cringey, but it's so good and everyone's so offended by it. But like fair, I'm not cringed about it. Yeah, I think it was so funny. I thought a little cringey over like Harry finally gets to talk and it's just about dem.
Speaker 1: Sum Okay, fair enough. A lot of his stuff is very Asian and focused. Yeah that's for quite a bit of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so maybe I'm just lumping all that together. But yeah, that's good.
Speaker 1: That's good. Okay, that worst dan smooth? Okay, Well, I don't think there's a worst dance move, but I think there's a best dance move.
Speaker 2: What's the best dance move?
Speaker 1: All Riverdeep, Mountain High.
Speaker 2: Yes, the entirety of riverdep Mountain.
Speaker 3: High, the whole thing, from top to bottom. I also have to say the choreography for the Jazz Hot it's incredible.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's very good. I have PTSD, but it's very good.
Speaker 2: It's very good. I was yelling at the screen of like why didn't Zach Woodley get for this.
Speaker 1: Ever, get nominated? Everminated? I have PTSD at number though really bad.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah it's.
Speaker 3: Good, but like I belong there, but you did, and you did it and it's forever recorded in history.
Speaker 1: Thank god. It it's like all in the shadows. You don't know who I am.
Speaker 2: And everyone's very tall in that number.
Speaker 1: Yes except for me. Best song, very best performance by a prop.
Speaker 2: Naya and Amber's hair during River deep Naya's skirt.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was gonna say the skirt move, the booty move. I also like the meatball.
Speaker 2: The meatball is very good. I'm hungry.
Speaker 3: I'm star Discovery, I'm starving. Best line, Oh God, I don't know if we have time. I mean there are a lot.
Speaker 1: I think for me, Santana saying that she's like a lizard and that she needs something warm beneath her or she can't digest her food is it for me? But any Santana line this episode where she talks about redsticks is really good. And then also when Brittany responds to you, what did you say? And she I still have a crush. I'm still not over. I have a crush on somebody and she says the Clinton's.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean I think mine is also, Santana. I'm like a reptile mine just and like we quoted that a lot, like we's that in real life. Yeah, definitely many a time, Warm Body. Were we just nerds like we were fans of the show we were on, and like we would quote these lines in real life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never thought about it like that, but I think we were we definitely, I mean, I'm definitely a nerd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's for sure. It's cute because we were such big fans of each other. Yeah, it's like sometimes you just make each other do the line for you because it's.
Speaker 1: So definitely definitely tell me what's what's going on on the on the talk.
Speaker 2: I got tagged in this TikTok. Beth m likes vinyl. You need to go check it out because she posts these incredible renders of fake Lee soundtrack vinyls the Lee albums as vinyls, and it's stunning work.
Speaker 3: They are gorgeous, aren't they what. I can't believe it's not real brilliant And I think maybe Jenna, you and I should have a word with somebody to make this happen.
Speaker 1: Let's do it. Well. I hope you guys enjoyed duets because I really liked this episode.
Speaker 2: Big fan of this episode. And there's gonna be a lot more stults. We're gonna have to have them on to talk to THEE for sure.
Speaker 1: What a joy? Ah? Okay, Well, I hope you enjoyed the recap. Come back next week and that's what.
Speaker 2: You really missed see it. Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and That's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.