Speaker 1: Hey, guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of the show.
Speaker 1: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll get access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 1: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com. All right, let's get over to Syria. There's been some extraordinary developments in Syria, sadly very predictable. So we have had the explosion of a lot of ethnic violence inside of Syria, largely perpetrated and supported unfortunately by the new so called moderate but in reality like radical Islamic government that has taken power there. We have some video that we can show you. Just as Chrystal said, this is not for the faint of home, but I mean, you've got people here who are dodging gunfire and there's been a lot of just like public executions and things that have been going publicly that are being posted on telegram and on social media. I mean, the rounding up of people. I mean, these are scenes really reminiscent out of ISIS and their takeover of Syria and so much of the leftover equipment. All of this right now really is just like You've got over a thousand people that were killed since Thursday, Crystal, and a lot of it is people who are again are like now in charge of the government. And the reports out of this and all this are very confused because the West doesn't really know how to deal with it because the person who is largely responsible for much of this is the so called moderate rebel who was supported by the United States of who we removed their terrorist designation. Let's put this up there on the screen, formerly known as HTS. You know. Abu Mohammad jog Jlani has instructed his militants to stop recording their acts of violence in an effort to control the narrative and minimize the damage to his public image. As reports of massacres and ethnic cleansing and serious coastal regions continue to surface, the leadership fears that documented evidence could further expose their brutality and weaken their support base. And like I said, a lot of this violence has been perpetrated unfortunately against many of the Syrian minorities. There Alohite Christians, drus and others who live in the area and were some of the strongest supporters of the Asad regime. The reason why I think that this whole story is very important is it does just show us about how you know, good guy bad guy ideology in our support or you know, weapons that we pour into the Middle East very often make the situation much worse. You know, to look back at the Syrian Civil War, it was a genuine you know, political uprising and from twenty fourteen onwards, but at that point onwards, it became this you know, basically geopolitical playground for the United States, for Israel, for Iran, for Qatar, for Saudi Arabia. They floored more weapons into the country than had ever been seen there before. And you know, literally millions of people were either displaced and or killed. What are the worst refugee crisises in modern history. And the truth is is like everyone was celebrating the downfall of the Ostad regime. It's like, well, now this is what has come next. More massacre, more death, and there's no picking good guys, bad guys or any of that. If we'd stayed out of this thing in the first place, we probably all would have been better off. But the you know, the the god you know, to even think back to that time twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen, as I'm sure you remember too, the level of just like hystericism here in Washington over the Syrian Civil War, in pushing for more action, more bloodshed, more war, you know, intervention on behalf of the United States, trying to push Obama to bomb Syria to enforce a red line. Remember Hillary Clinton ran on a damn no fly zone over Syria, which would have required shooting down Russian jets over the country and potentially drawing the United States into a conflict. I just think this is the ten year, you know, kind of culmination of all of the failures of modern bipartisan foreign policy. And the end result here is literal radical Islamist government in power who are now slaughtering ethnic minorities. It's just unbelievable. It's horrible to watch for the people of Syria. The destruction of a great people and of a great country. But I think even worse than that is the complicit, you know nature of the United States of the EU and the whitewashing of this guy's image who's now being invited to Brussels and he's wearing a suit and he's got the support here of all these other governments, and the country itself has basically been obliterated. Israel's like annexed half of it now for some reason that we're not really allowed to talk about over here. Meanwhile, you know, these ethnic Christians and others are getting slaughtered, and you know where there's no real there's no coherent narrative here in Washington because everybody is so complicit in backing the so called moderate rebels of the time. Yeah, I just think it's horrible and it's very.
Speaker 2: Sad when HGS was able to, you know, finally and very shockingly kind of from our perspective, were't coverage, right, Yeah, so it came out of nowhere, is able to finally, you know, completely push the Assad government out of power. They engaged in this very purposeful propaganda campaign to try to convince the West that like no, no, no, all that radical Islam, like that's in the past.
Speaker 3: We're going to be moderate.
Speaker 2: We're going to celebrate our ethnic diversity. And there were quite a lot of Western media outlets that bought that because they.
Speaker 3: Wanted to buy it, and yeah, it's a nice narrative. And you know at the time we said, for like, yeah, we are very dufful, but we'll see.
Speaker 2: And so you're right that this was you know, it's sad and utterly predictable, and you know this is it really has served Israel's interests, even though that might seem surprising given that this is like a radical islamis group and you might say, Okay, it's got to be bad for it, and they must not like that. But you know, they've benefited by being able to push into Sea. You know, they are annexing significant parts of Syria up to effectively Damascus, helping to realize their you know, fanatical vision of greater Israel, which any you know, psycho Israeli settler can tell you about. So they're doing that because they can and no one will stop them. And HGS has publicly said basically like we're not going to do anything to push back against Israel. They also have publicly expressed a desire to distance Syria from a Ran another thing that makes Israel very happy here. And so you know, they have really seized on this opportunity to claim more territory, more power, and to you know, for their hobble their enemies in the region. So that's been part of the fallout and part of why there was a desire among the Western press to kind of like whitewash who these guys were and what was very likely to happen in the wake of them ultimately taking power.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like we said, we've got probably I mean, nobody knows the true number. What we do know is that a lot of these things seem to be very conveniently supported by the government that's in power. And I think it just drives me crazy because it just shows you how trying to again like paint people as bad guys in the Middle East and then picking the alternative it never really seems to end up all that great for us. And you know, none of this is moral per se, but this is the reality of whenever you want to try and intervene in other countries. Like the truth is, z Iraq was probably better off under Saddam Hussein terrible to say, it killed a lot of his own people, and it was horrible. But look at the subsequent fallout and what's happened to the country, not alone what we have wasted in trying to make it into some great democratic projects. Same now in Syria. Same I mean, what happened with Libya, right, It's a disaster. It's basically fallen apart, become an active warzone and a hub for piracy, for terrorism, and for migrants. It's like, if you look at all of these projects that have all been supported, in this case by NATO, the United States, and the Western Powers, as well as many of the Islamic nations, then you look at our intervention in Iraq and you see what happened there Afghanistan, It's like, where has this all worked out? But we just are addicted to it. It's like we are completely addicted. I will say. Part of this is also actually a big proxy fight right now here in Washington over the influence of the neocons and specifically how this relates to Israel and Iran. So let's go ahead and put this up there on the screen. So it's from Tucker Carlston. He was tweeting a video here of many of the Aloi Christians and others being killed in Syria, and he's saying as Predictable says, it's still infuriating to see. For decades, Bashar al Assad protected the minority religious communities in Syria, including the country's large Christian population. No one in the US was allowed to notice this, and anyone who did was denounced by neocons as a dangerous extremist. Barry Weiss declared tilsa Gabbard monstrous and an Assad toady for noticing. But it was true. Asad protected the Christians. A week or Asad was the more Christians died during the war. The years that neocons in the West back the war against Assade, the percentage of Christians has gone from ten percent to two. Now that Asad has been driven from power, many of the remaining are being slaughtered and their holy place is desecrated. Barry Wise and John Bolton haven't said a word about it, but no one who's paying attention can be surprised. Neo con projects in the Middle East invariably destroy these ancient Cricketian communities from Iraq to Gaza and in many places in between. Can this be an accident, you wonder? And the reason why I thought it was important was the Gaza little shout out there at the end, because you'll recall Crystal in the early days of that war, when you had that that ancient Christian church that was bombed in the middle of Gaza. That's when even some of the religious supporters in America had to wake up a whole on a second, like what are we doing here? And look, I objected a little bit to the framing as like the Christians are the only people that matter and all this, But this is a message that at the very least, I think could get through to a lot of the people who are in the Republican base who still have this fin fanatical view of like good and evil and are very susceptible to being pushed in a neo conservative direction like there's no evidence here, you know that is really like Gaza is like all that great apparently for the so called Christian community in Gaza, right, they'll tell you that. Ask the Christians in Gaza, the people in Syria.
Speaker 2: West Bank for that matter, which you know, is the fact.
Speaker 1: That's such a good point. Nobody ever talks about it, but you know, some of those people are the most fanatical pro Palestinian support for the West Bank. Are a lot of more Palstainian Christians. Yeah, their their land is actually the one stolen I think originally, you know, and they've found themselves at war with a lot of these Jewish settlers. I don't care if they're Christian, Jewish, Muslim whatever. The point I think that we have here is it's obvious that the morality, you know, and the morality soapbox that these people try and preach from itself can often lead to much more immoral results. And they also just so happen to be in a you know, in favor of an agenda that's pretty favorable to you know, in priest War and also for the state of Israel in the Middle East. It's just, you know, that's that's part of noticing I think today here for overall Washington policy, and it's about what we're gonna have to get to with the Iran deal, because that is where things are going to be very interesting. Tomorrow hopefully we'll cover the Hamas negotiation spat that's currently happening. But you know, the amount of pressure right now from the pro Israel groups is unbelievable on the Trump administration. And you know, there's no indication that they'll be silenced so that they're going to take even you know, their Colombia deportations. Enough of his victory. That's not that's just the tip of the iceberg. For what these people want. They want much much more.
Speaker 2: Than Oh, absolutely, they want all of the West Bank. I mean, they're mobilizing to you know, allow Israel and they're likely to get that. I mean, they they want the Trump Gaza ethnic cleansing plan that he has floated. So yeah, they you know, they won't be satisfied with just some show trials and some deportations or Colombia having their funding stripped. They have much larger goals in mind.
Speaker 1: Well, let's get to that Iran deal the question, because this is going to be one of the central parts for the Trump administration. Now, let's go ahead and play this from Donald Trump talking about how he wants to have a deal with Iran rather than go to war with them.
Speaker 4: Let's take a listen, there are two ways Iran can be handled militarily or you make a deal. I would prefer to make a deal because I'm not looking to hear Irun. They're great people. I know so many Runians from this country. Well, not the leadership, no, not the leadership people, very evil people. No, but the people of Iran are great people. But they had a tough regime and they meet and they'd be shot in the streets. I mean, it was a tough it was a tough deal.
Speaker 1: So as you can see, it's like, we would rather have a deal. But the problem that they're finding is that Iran actually just rejected the deal. Let's go ahead and put this up there on the screen. The Supreme Leader of Iran rejected any nuclear talks with the quote so called bully states of the United States, and they're pursuing, you know, they're continuing their nuclear program. We don't know how much of this is bluster yet per se. But part of the problem is we talked about this with treat de Parsi, the renegging on the original Iran Deialm. It's like, okay, well, to what end, for what purpose? The purpose was to increase the sanctions regime and to hopefully see the country fall the regime. That didn't happen. You know, in terms of their nuclear program, they're so called breakout time or whatever apparently remains relatively static to their ability to create it, their ability to conduct war abroad and or in the near abroad as they call it, you know, in that area. Well, you know, it seemed to be doing pretty well in Iraq, seemed to be doing okay enough in Syria, Hezbola. Of course in Lebanon. Have they taken some hits. Yeah, absolutely, especially with Israeli's being able to you know, assassinate people literally in the middle of their capital. And of course they had that whole back and forth with Israel, and but then Israel retaliated against some of their nuclear missile defense systems near their basis. But you know, they haven't fallen, which was the ultimate deal of what they wanted. So now we're in this situation basically of everyone's neokon making, where we've tried the maximum sanctions, I mean, what sanctions could possibly be even left to levy onto the country. And Trump is in some ways in a problem of his own making, because now what do you do. You know, if they do get a nuclear weapon or pursue that that nuclear program, you've said explicitly that we'll go to war for that, that would be a nightmare for most Americans. Also, though you're saying that you want a deal, and so two sides of your mouth, and especially full of an administration which historically has been incredibly hawkish on the Iran question. It's one of those where you could easily find ourselves in a major crisis over this issue if we don't revert to what I hope is Trump's best instincts, Like with the North Korea deal, there's no reason that we can't go and sit down with these people. And at the very least that's what Trump has shown his ability to o overcome. You know, these previous idiotic statements like we will never negotiate with a Moss, will never negotiate with the North Koreans. It's like while they're in power and the ones with the gun, so you know, what are you supposed to do? Yeah, So anyway, I hope that we pursue this. Maybe we can get over it. And it is it is still important that he's saying he wants it. I'm still worried, especially with Mike Wallas and some of these other folks in that administration, because if there are those people doing the deal, there's never going.
Speaker 2: To be in a deal well, and you can understand the Iranians perspective as well, like, dude, you're the one who walked away from this, How can we make a deal with your country? We did that before and got stabbed in the back by you. So like, you know, when they're responding with like, no, we're not going to do another deal with you, that's part of the background that you have to understand. That and the fact that the Trump administration has put on even more sanctions than existed under the Biden administration. They're targeting oil exports, in particular to China, and also apparently there was previously a waiver that allowed a rack to buy Iranian oil and they've gotten rid of that waiver. And obviously Aron is heavily depointment dependent on their you know, their oil exports. That's a key part of their economic picture. Apparently there were also sanctions that were put on Iran's metal industries. So they are going all in in what he calls the maximum pressure campaign, which means amping up the sanctions even further and really trying to destroy the economy. So when the Iranians are talking about you know, you're treating us like a bully. Wood that's what they're ultimately referring to. So yes, obviously it would be much better to like the best. One of the best things that the Obama administration did, certainly in terms of international policy, was the Iran nuclear Deal. One of the worst things that Trump did was getting out of the Iranian nuclear deal. One of the failures. There were other worse ones, but one of the failures of the Biden administration was not jumping back into the Iranian nuclear deal, especially in the early days. This is something we did multiple segments with Tree to Parsi about like they had four years to try to restart these negotiations to try to get back into a deal, which for a time Iran continued to it here to even after Trump had pulled the US out of the deal, and they didn't do it, And now the Iranians, you know, are feeling disinclined to want to go.
Speaker 3: Back to this rodeo.
Speaker 2: So, you know, I hope the the I hope Trump's instincts to negotiate and desire to avoid war in this region to the extent that he has one. I hope that's what prevails. But I think there's still a lot of big question marks here there are, and the Israeli is obviously like they know what.
Speaker 1: They want in the worst possible situation for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they they want us to be shoulder to shoulder with them in a war against Iran.
Speaker 3: That is the longtime dream.
Speaker 2: And you know they have a lot of purchase in terms of power in the Trump administration. You know, you have Miriam Maidelson who has already gotten quite a lot in terms of her hundred million dollar investment in the Trump campaign. And Boebe is a savvy operator as well in terms of getting what he wants on of whoever the political leader is in charge in the un So I would say at this point, you know, there's certainly nothing off the table.
Speaker 1: Let's get on to the next one, the situation in columb with Columbia University.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there's a bunch of stuff going on here, but let's start with this. We can put this reporting up from our friends over at drop site on the screen. So on Saturday night, DHS agents entered a student residential building at Columbia University and they detained Mahmud Khalil. He was one of the lead negotiators on behalf of pro Palestime protesters at twenty twenty fours Gaza Solidarity encampment. I'm reading this from drop sites article here and in what they describe as a sweeping attack on the First Amendment, the Trump administration said this week it would begin revoking visas of quote Hama sympathizers, specifically citing Columbia University students. So now they have arrested Khalil reportedly had no warrant. Khalil has not been charged with any crimes. He is not here actually on a student visa. He's here on a green card, so he is a legal permanent resident, and at least as of this morning, he has been effectively disappeared. His lawyers and his wife, who is eight months pregnant, have no idea where he is. They originally thought that he was at an ice facility in New Jersey. His wife went there to try to find him. The you know, the officers there said no, no, he's not there. So they have no idea. And so it really is We can put the two up on the screen which explains that situation about you know, really having no clue where he is. This is from from Thacker. He says Machmou's attorney says they do not know where he is. They were first told he was sent to an ice facility in Elizabeth, New Jersey. When his eight month pregnant wife tried to visit him, she was told he's not there. They receive reports he may be sent as far away as Louisiana. So Mahmoud Khalil again, who is a Green card holder, set to be deported over pro Palestine activism, meaning that if he had criticized, if he had been involved in protests criticizing.
Speaker 3: The US government, he'd be fine.
Speaker 2: But because he was involved in protests targeting Israel a foreign nation, now he's been disappeared and set for deportation.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I actually looked to see if he'd even been charged with the crime. He was not even charged with the crime. That would be see, that's another thing. It'd be one thing. It's like, oh, you were arrested. You know, you're here on a visa, you're guest in this country. It's like okay. But literally just being a student protester, it's like I'm not seeing this because there are plenty is Israeli students who are out on the streets and UCLA and all that protesting on behalf of Israel. Okay, we're going to start revoking there set or you know there student visas or any of that anytime soon. They got great universities in Tel Aviv. I've seen him. You know, I'm not why are you even over here if you need to come protests? Right, So that's the problem that I really have with this thing, and I was looking into it. You know, he is a lawful permanent resident, as he said, he's a green card holder. He actually is entitled with hearing with an immigration judge. So the judge would have to buy that not because the thing is for DHS to initiate deportation against a green card hoole. And this is very different than student visa or other temporary visas. Temporary visa can be basically revoked about cause the student a green card, legal permanent resident holder effectively has like they have very similar rights to a US citizen, and for their deportation they have to prove that they violated criminal procedure. Now, their claim here is that this was a violation of President Trump's executive orders on anti Semitism. So that's where this whole thing falls apart. And like I said, it would be one thing. It's like, okay, you commit a crime, Sure, get out of here. You have done this? Is that fine? You know, I have no issue with that. If we want to apply a blanket standard against all ford and students aren't allowed to I even would be okay with that because it would include some of these other But this is just capricious, and it's on behalf clearly of a foreign state who just wants these people to be deported for having the audacity to protest against them. That's where I really have an issue broadly, because it just is so blatant. And I'll just continue on this. This is the end result of the Bill Ackman faction joining the Republican Party. Let's not forget why did Bill Ackman become political. The day after October seventh, he publicly started docxing students who were protesting Israelly military campaign in Gaza. Did some of them say a lot of stupid shit? Absolutely? But he, you know, is compiling Google doc dossiers of these folks saying, oh, we shouldn't even hire them. We got to, you know, deport all of these folks. And that is again where you know, we have an American billionaire here basically agitating to deport people who are protesting a foreign nation. And that is where it's just so unbelievable, you know, to watch this all happen in the power of the United States government when, yeah, if you were protesting I don't know the US policy in Syria, nobody even cares, right, you know, you see it all the time.
Speaker 3: Protest Trump.
Speaker 1: I was telling us about Bidy I apposed to Ryan. You know, we live here in DC. You know, you go down the embassy roads, there's protests about everything. You know, the Mayan mar protest, outside the Burmese embassy. There's protests outside darfour. Always there's always a protest outside of a I don't know, I've seen protests like Cambodian Embassy. Nobody cares. Nobody's you know out of here's like, oh, let's deport these folks or whatever. Go outside the White House. Any time you're here in Washington, there's some stupid protests. Sorry, but there's some protests outside of the White House. It's not usually Palestine or whatever relate. It's like, I don't know, Turkey, something like that. Nobody even blinks an eye. It's just the average, everyday part of life, but somehow for this one, the full force of the US government comes down on their side. I was just I can't deal with it. I really can't. It's just unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Well, and the way that this all got spun up, as we can put E to B up on the screen. This is our old friend Shidavidai, who is this absolutely psycho professor at Columbia who actually I think he was what he was forced to be removed from campus because he was being so aggressive and abusive towards students.
Speaker 3: Doctor.
Speaker 2: Yes, anyway, I don't want to misspeak because I'm sure mister Devidai I will come after me. But you guys can google you know the extent of what he was involved with their Columbia University and the abuse he was hurling at his own students there at the school. But so he had tweeted this, he says, Dear Secretary Rubio, thank you for your strong statements.
Speaker 3: Now we want to see strong action.
Speaker 2: Illegally taking over a college in which you're not even a role in distributing terrorist propaganda should be a deportable offense. No, I would love to see what this quote unquote terrorist propaganda is, by the way, because they always say this and I have yet to see, you know, what this alleged terrorist propaganda was, because that's what Machmud Khalil from Columbia SJP did yesterday at Barnard College. So this guy makes Mahmud Khalil, who again has been charged with no crimes, but was a lead negotiator in terms of like the Palestinian Rights movement encampment on campus, et cetera, So targets him. Next thing you know, DHS is coming in without a warrant onto campus and arresting Khalil. Apparently when they first were interacting with him and his wife, they were under the impression that he was there on a student visa, which again I would find unconscionable to you know, criminalize like First Amendment.
Speaker 3: Speech and whatever.
Speaker 2: But it is a very different deal when you're there on a student visa and they find out he's a Green card holder. But they've been given instructions to target this guy, so they just continue forward. And when Drops Site and other news outlets asked DHS for comment on the fact that this was a Green card holder, a legal permanent resident, not a student visa, holder. They said, you need to talk to the White House, meaning this came from the top. This came directly from the White House. And so now Rubio has put on a tweet, let's put this up on the screen, saying doubling down on this. What is also to Sober's point about the process that you have to follow here, like this is all brazenly illegal when it comes to green card holders, because there is they do have.
Speaker 3: A right to do process.
Speaker 2: You cannot just arrest and disappear someone with no warrant and deport them without going through a process and coming in front of an immigration judge and proving that you have cause to revoke their green card and ultimately deport them. But Rubio doubles down here saying we will be revoking green card and student visa holders of quote unquote Hamas supporters. What's more, actually put E five up on the screen. They're using AI to sift through all of these students social media accounts to find ones who are quote unquote pro Hamas.
Speaker 3: And again, when you see that some of the things.
Speaker 2: That have been offered as proof that Khalil himself was quote unquote pro Hamas, was him participating in rally chance or leading rally chance like from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free.
Speaker 3: That's what we're talking about here.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're not talking about he's you know, joining up and he's you know, like an actual material supporter of Hamas or any other terrorist organization in any way. We're talking about rally chance and handing out flyers on campus. That's what they deem quote unquote pro Hamas. And so this is incredibly dystopian, Like, I don't care what you think about this particular issue. If you support basic speech rights, you can see the way that this is an authoritarian overreach, a governmentss government censorship effort to try to quash speech that they and their donors specifically do not like. And the fact that this was so lawless as well, like if they don't have to follow the laws in this case, they don't have to follow the laws in any case. It doesn't have to just apply to you know, people who are green card holders. It could apply to literally anyone if you're just going to throw the laws out. So if you're someone who's positioned yourself or claim to support the First Amendment, this and the revocation of Columbia's four hundred million dollars in federal funding. Like this is all a blatant attack on basic First Amendment right to speech. So it is outrageous, and I hope people understand what the stakes are here because it also is really a test case.
Speaker 3: We can put E four up on the screen.
Speaker 2: This is the Trump administration again without any process here says it was cutting off about four hundred million dollars in federal contracts and grants to Columbia University. This, by the way, after Colombia did really everything you could want them to do. They suspended a bunch of students, they suspended faculty that were quote unquote anti submitting or shared, you know, had had some text message exchange that they found to be problematic.
Speaker 3: They've instituted some sort of like rude.
Speaker 2: Out the Anti Semitism task Force that's going after students for things like the crime of writing a pro Palestine op ed. They invited the cops onto campus to you know, get get to arrest people who were involved in the takeover of Hindhall. Like they have done everything that a Biden and now Trump administration would want them to do, but it's never enough. They're going to be made an example of and there are many other schools that are also on the target list for the Trump administration. You've got Harvard University, George Washington University, JOHNS Hopkins, New York University, Northwestern University, UCLA, UC Berkeley, University of Minnesota, and University of USC University of Southern California are the ones that are particularly being targeted by the Trump administration here. So you know, spare me your your lectures about one A support if you don't have anything to say about this.
Speaker 1: One A fire did speak up on behalf, so I'm fires great fires off. Yeah, we love them. By the way, the ADL did come out with a new statement on the situation. Let me go ahead and read this because it's just good. It's delicious.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: We firmly believe there should be swift and severe consequences for those who provide material supports, affair and tourists or organizations insight violence in support of terrorist activities, or conceal their identities. We appreciate the Trump administration's broad, bold set of efforts to counter campus anti Semitism, and this action further illustrates that resolved by holding alleged perpetrators responsible. Obviously, any deportation action or revocation of a green card or visa must be undertaken in alignment with required due process protections. We also hope this action serves as a deterrent to others who might consider breaking the law on college campuses or anywhere. And so, yeah, I mean, you know, this is the law charge, That's what I was saying. This is the irony of it. You remember that whole UCLA thing when you had those guys who you know, they got into a clash or whatever you want to call it in the middle of Ucla. How many of those people were Israeli citizens? You know, how many of those people or duel Israeli citizens. It's like, well, well, we don't want to talk about that one. It's like, that's my point with all of this, is that the capricious standard is just applied on behalf of this form. It's just it makes me want to throw up. As an American citizen, you know, we could protest India, puxta whatever, nobody cares at all our own governments, and you should, you know, you should protest your government. But it's just like with this one, it's just so naked the way that it all were, and it's all again because of this genuine obsession. And I know a lot of these people who are obsessed. They really believe that all of these folks are like paid assets to protest on behalf of Palestine. And it's just such cope because you know, even look, you know people here now, I couldn't stay I even told advise people not to do this because of you know, potential blowback in your personal life. But if not only is it a right, they believe that they're only doing it because of being paid like further action, and they just can't grapple with It's just as organic as any right wing protests that we've seen. You can offer support camps, you know, any of that other stuff, but if people don't actually feel outraged about it, then they're not going to show up. So you know, there's always this AstroTurf argument, and they really believe like America is just all like okay with what's all happening in Israel. And I mean to the extent that they are if they don't even know anything about it, I don't think about it that much. With the people who are it's like okay, fine, let them do whatever they want to do. And you know, Trump even said prior to that, do we have that the thing about him expelling people? Do we have that? It is?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't. Okay, we didn't pull it over Ryan and I did a segment about it. I mean, he's basically saying a US citizen would be expelled from their college, you know. And I remember I was engaged in all these fights back in the twenty fourteen twenty fifteen time period over these kangaroo courts over like me too, allegations that would expel students, and it was similar mass hysteria over this basically denying not only do process rights, but literally expelling students for some he said, She said incident. Well, you know, here you have the government in a similar position, just coming in and saying, even if you haven't committed a crime, that expressing an opinion or doing wrong think will get you expelled from college. Is That's the part where I just can't take it, you know. And I'm somebody who hates higher education. I'm happy to see Columbia bother with the kank course. I my network benefit would be cut, slash them all. I think it would be great, but you know, to do it on behalf of Israel, that's too much. That's too much. You got to at least, you know, try and do it from the perspective of what's good for us. That's the part that I can see.
Speaker 2: It's it's it truly is outrageous. I mean, right now, right now, Israel is cutting off They already cut off aid to Gaza, and they're cutting off electricity to Gaza. This makes it very like, this severely limits the amount of just clean drinking water because you know, the salinization plants, like the water purification obviously you need electricity. You're not allowed to protest that. You're not allowed to have a problem with that. Like you can have your status like as a legal, lawful permanent resident here revoked without any due process. You could be kicked out of school without any due process. Total cart blunch for the government to sift through your social media post and see if you're engaged in any sort of wrong think. I mean, this is I mean, this is truly some of the most authoritarian anti First Amendment overreach that I have seen. And we've laid the groundwork for many administrations, starting with the Patriot Act, probably starting before that, but really ramp it up with.
Speaker 3: The Patriot Act.
Speaker 2: You know, every administration has increasingly, you know, sought to censor those who they you know, they found their voices or their opinions to be inconvenient.
Speaker 3: This is another level. It truly is another level.
Speaker 2: And what they have done here it clearly elates this Mahmu Khalil's rights to do process. The fact that they have no idea where he is is terrifying and outrageous. And the message that they are to trying to send here also is terrifying and outrageous because many people will think twice about speaking out for their own job and school prospects, etc. And certainly if they are you know, certainly if they are Green Carter student visa holders, etc. And that's exactly the point the ADL said, like, I hope this serves as a deterrent and that's exactly what the goal here ultimately.
Speaker 1: Is, Crystal, what are you taking a look at.
Speaker 2: One of the weirder mysteries of the Kamala Harris campaign was what the hell happened to Tim Wells?
Speaker 3: So he came out of.
Speaker 2: The gays hot, was turning his cable news campaign his stellar Minnesota record into a vice presidential slot. He honestly seemed like the perfect choice. He's an affable Midwesterner history of electoral outperformance. He translated a down to earth vibe into an incredible record in a purple state. In fact, with his selection for the ticket, it seemed like Kamala was aeshewing her previous cautious positioning to go bold with a character who resonated on TV. It did not shy away from using power. Walls had a natural talent for pitching progressive policies in a way that felt moderate, and characterized Trump and Vans in a way that went instantly viral. These guys, they're just weird.
Speaker 5: You know, there's something wrong with people when they talk about freedom, freedom to be in your bedroom, freedom being your zamroom, freedom to tell your kids what they can read. That stuff is weird. They come across weird. They seem obsessed with this. They continue to try and tell you. And look, the thing that I find the most weird about it is is they never do the things they say. I heard one time, very early on, you do not need your elected officials to give you a sermon, but they should try and live one. And these guys are weird on how they frame it. They are obsessed. And I said it the other day the he Man Woman Haters Club. I don't know where this is coming from. And I have to tell you today here in Minnesota, joyous day. I just appointed our newest Associate Justices Supreme Court, Sarah Hennessy. Minnesota was the first state and we have a majority women on the Supreme Court and we have a woman of color as the Chief Justice. That scares the hell out of these guys. That just terrifies them, and then they start being weird. They think they have to listen to their stories. They think they're connecting with people and they tell things and everybody feels uncomfortable around them. So I'm sticking with that because I don't know what else describes it, but I know that it's more cynical and it's deeper, and it's hurtful and hateful. But I think one of the things you point out to this, they're not offering us anything. They're not going to come with a plan. And this is my thing. Every day I ask where's your healthcare plan? So, yeah, they're weird, and I am not changing that.
Speaker 2: But of course he did not ultimately stick with that. After what was a phenomenal launch, she quickly became a massive draw on the campaign trail, and the Harris campaign looked like they were set to use Walls's Minnesota record as a way to fill in the gaps on Kamala's own ideological vagueness. They released even a solid proposal to go after price gougers, which caused a glorious Right We.
Speaker 3: Meltdown about supposed price controls.
Speaker 2: Wall suggested himself a focus on bread and butter issues, things like paid leave, which had been really popular in Minnesota. He leaned into JD vance mockery, even made some couch jokes down on the campaign trail. But then sometime around the DNC things really seemed to flip. Price gouging was out, Opportunity economy was in, weird was out, Fascist was in, and Sean Faine, head of the UAW was out.
Speaker 3: Liz Cheney, Neocon was in.
Speaker 2: Now Politico has revealed what many of us have long suspected. Tim Walls was sabotage by an insecure Kamala Harris who didn't want him to outshine her, and by dim witted arrogant consultants who thought they knew better about what would resonate than the organic response, which had originally graded Tim Walls and his framing of the race. So, according to Politico quote, after he was selected in early August, Harris was not yet doing interviews, and aids did not want Walls to get out ahead of her. Several former campaign aids said Harrison Walls would not appear together for their joint interview with CNN.
Speaker 3: Until three weeks later.
Speaker 2: Even into October, the Washington Post described him as a quote surprisingly bubble wrapped campaigner, and as for his signature framing of Republicans as weird quote, there were also efforts to curb some of his signature lines, including casting Trump and Republicans as weird, which slipped out of Walls's speeches.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 2: He was encouraged to stop focusing on the weird criticism, said another former Harris aid, I think it is fair to ask whether, even if weird wasn't quite right, his instinct about how to approach Trump to make him seem small and a huckster wasn't closer to correct than the more self serious tone that may have made us sound too. In defense, of the status will now. In an interview with Politico himself, Wall slams the play it safe tactics, which led them to position the campaign as if they were sitting on a big lead rather than desperately trying to pull off an upset quote.
Speaker 3: We should have been playing this thing so safe.
Speaker 2: I think we probably should have just rolled the dice and done the town halls where voters may say, you're full of shit. I don't believe in you, Walls continued. I think there could have been more of that. We as a party are more cautious and engage in the media, both mainstream and non traditional, Walls said, and during the twenty twenty four campaign, he said, in football parlance, we were in a prevent defense to not lose when we never had anything to lose, because.
Speaker 3: I don't think we were ever ahead. Now.
Speaker 2: One thing you can say about Trump is he is happy to tell campaign consultants and other advisers to piss off. If he tests a line out on the campaign trail and it gets a big response, he goes with it. He's got a gut instinct about these things, yes, but he also buys much more into the wisdom of the crowd than what some focused group, poll tested suit tells him he should be saying. Walls actually had a similar approach. He didn't just invent weird for the Kamala campaign. He had done a bunch of town halls. He talked to voters all around Minnesota, and that was the Trump characterization that he found really worked. So he brought it to the national stage and an immediately hit. Bernie actually has a similar approach. He's not out there checking his lines over with a pollster. He is getting rockstar receptions, leaning into the same mesage that has resonated with Americans.
Speaker 3: He's spoken with for over fifty years. Now.
Speaker 2: It helps that they both seem like they actually believe in something too. There's new data that should further strengthen Democrats resolve to get rid of all of these ariant, grifting, idiotic consultants who think that they know better. A recent Yale study found they literally don't. Random people do just as well predicting what political messages will resonate as do paid political professionals.
Speaker 3: These people, they are literally worthless.
Speaker 2: You will be just as well off to throw darts at a dart board and pick your policies as to listen to these people. Now, there are signs that Walls remains one of the Democratic Party leaders with the best instincts in the country. In a recent interview with Molly on Fast, he told her that Democrats need to stop messing around with small ball and actually give voters real change they can sink their teeth into.
Speaker 3: Take a listen, look, I hear.
Speaker 5: The thing out there is is that when we get back, which we will, will fight. I'll tell you what people are going to expect is they're not going to expect to tinkle around the edge with the ACA. They're going to expect universal healthcare. And if there's a lesson here, I always said this. We had a one vote majority in Minnesota. When we move clean energy, we move reproductive rights, we moved. We moved a whole slew of progressive very popular, including things around guns and gun safety, very popular thing. We moved it with a one vote majority. And people ask, well, what do you call a one vote majority a majority? Simple as that.
Speaker 2: Now, if you need a demonstration of how popular that message is, how much energy there is behind it, just behold.
Speaker 3: The response to an eighty three year old.
Speaker 2: Bernie Sanders, who's been hosting overflow crowds on top of overflow crowds in Midwestern swing districts.
Speaker 3: It's actually insane.
Speaker 2: Biden's average crowd is pointed out here when he was president and running for reelection was thirteen hundred. Here is Bernie in Warren, Michigan on a random March day, attracting more than ten thousand people. Now, as far as his twenty twenty eight plans goes, Walls is playing koy keeping it options open. I think opening up about the Harris campaign's failures, I albeit in a diplomatic way, is definitely step one. Getting back out there on the road for town halls and districts where Republicans are too scared to show up is step two. And then we'll see a man definitely doesn't need to work on his debate skills. But if she ditches the consultants, leans into his instincts to be visible and to be bold with his economic agenda, he might still yet be the future of the Democratic Party. And I mean this is the big thing for him is people are.
Speaker 1: Going to be and if you want to hear my reaction to Crystal's monologue, become a premium subscriber today at Breakingpoints dot com. Thank you guys for watching. We appreciate you. We'll have a great show for everybody tomorrow and we'll see you later.