Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Good morning everyone, It's Tuesday, July eighth. Welcome to Morning Run. I'm Amy Robot.
Speaker 2: And I'm TJ. Holmes. On the Run this morning, the death toll now more.
Speaker 3: Than a hundred in the Texas flooding, and that number is expected to rise as hope fades for finding survivors.
Speaker 1: Also today, Trump gets a Nobel Peace Prize nomination. Diddy gets a chance to speed up his sentencing process. Airline passengers get an important update about their shoes, NBA fans get some really bad news, and RFK Junior gets sued by damn near everybody.
Speaker 3: And also on the Run this morning, the parents of a Love Island contestant just booted off the show are asking us all for something that they shouldn't have to ask for human decency. This Robes, I think, for a lot of reasons, is one of the most important stories of the day. I know it's just a show, it's a guilty pleasure and all this, but it's something we're all engaged in talking about, and this is and important topic around this show.
Speaker 1: It is and the fact that her parents have come out and released a statement it's an important one and it spoke to me, and I hope it speaks to all of you listening this morning.
Speaker 4: It's something we can all have a takeaway from.
Speaker 1: So we will get to that in just a moment, but we begin our run in Texas, where search and rescue efforts will continue for a fifth straight day to day, but officials are losing hope of finding many more survivors as the death toll now surpasses one hundred.
Speaker 3: Now as of this recording, at least one hundred and four people are confirmed dead from the floods. Another twenty four remain missing, including ten young campers and their counselor from that All Girls Christian summer camp. The mayor of one of the hardest hit towns warned residents that this week is going to be a tough one, preparing them for the news that it's unlikely rescue cruise would find anyone else still.
Speaker 1: Alive, and crews are working around the in hot, humid conditions with debris down trees and the threat of more flooding all around them. Texas is getting help from Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Colorado, and Florida, and California's governor Gavin Newsom justin ounce he too was sending members of its Urban Search and Rescue team to assist. It's cool to see all of these different states coming in to help out for the folks in Texas.
Speaker 3: And something else that's gonna be talked about quite a bit, how we can improve our warning systems. To talk now is about installing life saving flood warning sirens along the Guadaloupe River. Officials are saying the sirens would have woken people up and given them enough time to escape the rising waters. We talked about this already here on the Morning Run the past couple days. Most people were asleep when the first emergency weather alerts came across their phones. It was about one fourteen in the morning. That was about three hours ahead of the flash flood robes. If they're awake, can they get the warning that should be decent enough times, yes, they would say for them to take some lifetat actions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with these flash floods, that's about as long or as far as a predictor as they can give you just within a few hours. So the problem with some residents say they never even got those alerts that the National Weather Service put out, including the mayor of the hardest hit town. He said, spotty, bad reception. They just didn't come through. And other people say they didn't wake up from them, or they have their alerts turned off. So these sirens are expensive, but what's the cost of a life.
Speaker 3: The exact wrong time is when it hit. The warning is at one fourteen. There's still three hours people sleep on all those hours.
Speaker 2: They are not even starting to wake up. Really for four or five am.
Speaker 1: It was the worst possible timing, all right, Next up on IRAN. Another big day for Diddy today as he pleads with the judge to sentence him sooner rather than later. The judge in his trial scheduled a conference for today with defense lawyers and the prosecutors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're discussing did he's request for an expedited sentencing process?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 3: His sentencing is scheduled for October third. His lawyers want that moved up. You remember, of course, we're just a week out. It was just a week ago. He was found guilty on two of five counts against him. Those two counts transportation to engage in prostitution, were the lesser charges against him, which carry a maximum of sentence of ten years for each count.
Speaker 1: So Diddy's team says that they would waive a pre sentencing investigation, which would help speed up that timeline. But prosecutors are arguing that an investigation is absolutely necessary given the complex nature of the case and Comb's conduct. That seems wild to me after six weeks of hearing about his conduct and the complex nature of the case, that they need to investigate it further for sentencing.
Speaker 3: This is this idea that the judge can take into consideration action that he was acquitted for. Wow, it's complicated as all get out. The judge has so much discretion. But all the violence he talked about, and he didn't let him out because he still thinks he's a threat to society. He can factor all that stuff in even if he didn't get convicted of certain things.
Speaker 1: All right, it'll be interesting to hear what happens in court today. Next up on the Run, President Trump has officially been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. A nomination letter sent to the Nobel Committee states the case for Trump to receive the distinguished honor?
Speaker 3: Okay, and what is the case for Trump? Well, it says, quote, he has steadfast and exceptional dedication to promoting peace, stability, and security around the world, and the letter goes on to list several of his accomplishments that have helped reshape the Middle East. The nomination letter was signed by Bibe Benjamin Netan, Yahoo, who has been involved in two wars here in recent weeks and months. Yes, I'm handed a letter to the President of the United States from one guy to another. I'm nominating you for the Nobel Peace Prize.
Speaker 1: And we watched the video of that earlier this morning, the Israeli Prime Minister. You'll see this is an impromptu moment. It happened during dinner at the White House last night. Little awkward, It almost seemed a little staged. We say impromptu, but who knows. The cameras just happened to be present. But yes, NETANYAHUO presented Trump with the letter, telling him you deserve it, to which Trump replied, coming from you, this is very meaningful. This was Netanyahu's third visit to the White House this year, but his first since the US joined Israel in attacking Iran's nuclear program last month.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that USB two bomber led bunker busting attack helped pave the way for the end of the so called twelve day war between Israel and Iran. This was one of the top trending topics on Twitter last night. I clearly like what's going on there, and a lot of people scratching their heads about it. A little history remember it, and I'm not Please know, folks, I am not comparing Trump to any of these folks, but a lot of people had a problem with yasar Arafat. He got the prize in nineteen ninety four, right head of the PLO, Stalin was nominated twice. Again, folks, this is not for comparison. I'm not comparing him to these individuals who don't do that. But I'm saying controversial figures and people not necessarily associated piece.
Speaker 1: Have been nominated and have even won, even won. All right, next up on the run, Several major US medical organizations are now suing Health and Human Services Secretary RFK Junior, the American Academy of Pediatrics the American College of Physicians just naming two of seven groups big major groups to join forces, saying Kennedy's actions have created a quote public health emergency that demands immediate legal action and correction.
Speaker 3: You know, they sound kind of pissed. The lawsuit specifically points to Kennedy recently firing all members of a key vaccine panel of experts and his removal of the recommendation that children and pregnant women get a COVID shot. The groups are asking the course so ordered Kennedy to post on social media that the immunization recommendations are now reinstated back to the CDC immunization schedules.
Speaker 2: They're very specific, yes.
Speaker 1: But that's all they want. The executive director of the American Public Health Association, which is also part of the lawsuit, said RFK Junior is doing everything he popped possibly can to undermine vaccine confidence.
Speaker 4: Quite frankly, we've had enough. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Department of Health and Human Services hasn't commented, but included in these seven groups is an unnamed, anonymous pregnant woman who says she tried to get a COVID shot because that is what we have all been told when you're pregnant, you're at risk, your fetus is at risk, and they refused to give her one based on these new RFK Junior guidelines. So they're saying women and children don't even have access to them now through insurance companies because of this, so it is a big deal.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: We will continue on our run now with airline passengers. Hey, y'all, is time to do a happy dance, and you can keep your shoes on while you're dance. And because the rules are changing at the airport's security line, and you have one less thing to take off, yes, your slippers.
Speaker 1: Finally, TSA is planning to phase out that annoying part of your airport security experience and end the shoe removal requirement that's been in place for twenty years.
Speaker 4: Remember why this even started? I do. I just can't believe it's been twenty years.
Speaker 2: Never forget his name.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget his name because I actually curse him every time I have to take my shoes off. Richard Reid, it is your fault, the so called shoebomber or would be shoebomber, you'll.
Speaker 3: Remember, Yes, this is the guy I tried to blow up a plane with a shoe bomb in two thousand and one, but it didn't detonate. Passengers were able to subdue him. According to the TSA mimo that's going around, the shoe requirement will be phased out at airports across the country. It's already being reported several places people aren't having to take off their shoes. But we remember at that time, this was months after nine to eleven, Right, we were all terrified and this has happened. We were thinking this is going to be a rolling attack on the country. Yes, this was months.
Speaker 1: After everyone had to I mean it was a lot, but I did notice if you travel abroad like Europe, etc. They don't make you take your shoes off. So that started a couple of years ago. So it's nice to see we finally have a little piece with that. All right.
Speaker 2: No, a pre check has been in place as well.
Speaker 3: Those folks don't have to take off that's true. If you have that, that line is now getting long because.
Speaker 4: No one wants to take off their shoes.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: We will continue here on the run this morning with more for airline passengers. And we got another example, another lesson, another reminder to all of us about those batteries on planes. A Delta flight from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale declared an emergency yesterday had to be rerouted after a suspected battery fire in a passenger's bag.
Speaker 4: That is scary.
Speaker 1: Flight attendants had to jump into action as smoke filled the cabin ooh and extinguished flames. According to the airline, one hundred ninety one souls were on board that plane. No injuries were reported. There have been at least thirty four battery related incidents on planes this year alone.
Speaker 3: And you will remember Southwest Airlines changed its policy in May now requires all portable charging packs to be kept in plane. Sight said this was an industry first policy where expecting others to follow, but Singapore Airlines has banned portable batteries on planes altogether.
Speaker 2: Robes.
Speaker 3: This makes sense if it's in front of you, it's one thing. But if you have it up in the overhead connected to something, that thing is going to overheat and cause a freaking fine.
Speaker 4: How do you police that? Though? That's tough. Can't that is so tough.
Speaker 3: You can't check everybody's bag. Now, I don't have to take off my shoes. But we're delayed because you got to go through.
Speaker 4: My bag from a battery or a Lithian battery.
Speaker 2: I hate folks. We'll stay with us here on this. Oh my god, what is it?
Speaker 4: Tuesday?
Speaker 2: This Tuesday morning? Run?
Speaker 3: When we come back, it's the fan it's the you know, it's the news that a lot of NBA fans almost expected, but it still sucks to hear it officially. And also this morning, we need you to stick around and hear the message from Sierra or Tega's parents. We're gonna read it word for word. This Love Island contestant who just got kicked off, but she is now receiving the type of hate that even her parents felt they.
Speaker 2: Needed to comment on.
Speaker 1: Welcome back everyone to this Tuesday edition of Morning Run. Next up on the Run, we knew this was a possibility, but the Indiana Pacers have made it official. One of the brightest young superstars in the league will now miss the entire upcoming NBA seasons.
Speaker 2: It just sucks.
Speaker 3: Tyres Halliburton, the star point guard for the Indiana Pacers, had to really break out playoffs this year. He is going to have to set out all of next season as he rehabs his torn achilles, which, of course, he injured in dramatic and heartbreaking fashion in Game seven of the NBA Finals. He had suffered a calf strain in Game five, fought through that injury and knew he was putting himself at risk of more serious injury injury by continuing to play.
Speaker 2: But Robes, you know, you.
Speaker 3: Were following this kid very closely because of me, and you saw how great he was doing. But we saw him go down. He insisted there was no way he wasn't going to play in Game seven. He knew he was putting himself at risk. That one game is costing him one season.
Speaker 4: That's tough.
Speaker 1: And it was.
Speaker 4: It was the first It was the first quarter, correct, first.
Speaker 3: Quarter he was having. He was three for three from the three point line. He looked like he was about to show out and possibly.
Speaker 2: Win a championship, and this is where he landed. Sucks.
Speaker 1: That is so tough, all right, even though athletes can come back. About nine months after an achilles hair, the Pacers president shut down any speculation, saying we would not jeopardize that now, So don't get any hopes up that he will play next season.
Speaker 2: Shut it down, stop.
Speaker 3: Talking about speculation. And he said, you know, Tyre's halliburd. And remember he said from the hospital bed that he would do it the same way all over again, like he wouldn't be out there. PACER's president said, hell no, knowing what I know now, ain't no way in hillfe what about there? I agree for that one game to nope, not happen.
Speaker 2: Him.
Speaker 4: Well, that's probably not what he needed to hear though.
Speaker 2: What's he's doing it from a different states? You know what he said?
Speaker 3: Because I'm looking out for this kid. Yeah, I would look out for him kids, he's twenty five, five, twenty six.
Speaker 2: But that just sucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it does, all right.
Speaker 3: Finally of our run here, this is an important store. We absolutely need you to stop and listen to. We're talking about Love Island, USA. That phenomenon, I think we can call it, Yes, hit show for Peacock. Well, the parents of one contestant, Sierra or Tega, they are now asking for compassion and patience for their daughter.
Speaker 1: Fans were told Ortega left the villa due to a personal situation on Sunday night, but her exit came after several form like past Instagram posts all the way back from twenty fifteen, and then another in twenty twenty three showed Ortega describing her eyes when she smiled, using a derogatory term about the Asian community.
Speaker 2: They remind me twenty fifteen, twenty twenty three, she was about what age you were do in the.
Speaker 1: Mist she was fifteen, fifteen in twenty fifteen, and she was probably twenty two and twenty twenty three because she's twenty five years old now, so fifteen.
Speaker 2: We're going back to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was fifteen and saying this stuff still. Those posts sparked tremendous backlash and hate online on social media, of course, in particular, she reportedly lost more than two hundred thousand followers within forty eight hours.
Speaker 2: That's one thing.
Speaker 3: More than seventeen thousand people signed a petition for her removal from the show. That's another thing. But Otego's parents released a statement on their Instagram story saying this has been one of the most painful weeks of their lives, and wrote, I said one thing.
Speaker 2: You lose followers.
Speaker 3: Fine, fine, understandable, that's what comes with it. But there's extra stuff that we all should take issue with.
Speaker 1: Yes, And they go into detail to describe it. So here's what her parents wrote. We'll read it in its entirety. We've seen the posts, the headlines, the hurt and the hate, and while Sierra hasn't seen any of it yet, we have, and so have the people who love her. We're not here to justify or ignore what's surfaced. We understand why people are upset, and we know accountability matters, but what's happening online right now has gone far beyond that. The threats, the cruel messages, the attacks on her family, her friends, even her supporters. It's heartbreaking. It's uncalled for, and no one deserves that kind of hate, no matter what mistake they've made.
Speaker 2: How you take issue with any of it? Right?
Speaker 3: I know it's parents and they're defending their daughter and what she did.
Speaker 4: Was yes, they're what she did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't even know if they're even defending her up to that point. What they're saying is everybody calm down, criticize it.
Speaker 2: That was awful. That should never be said again, She shouldn't say that.
Speaker 3: But I was asking you this morn. I just did a quick glance, quick glance. One of the first ones I saw. They want to send ice to her parents home and to.
Speaker 4: Port all of them because her last names were Tega.
Speaker 2: I mean, but how do we get there? Wow? How do we get there? All?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: The statement continues, and I quote from her parents. Now, while Sierra is not in the villa anymore, she is still away. She hasn't had the chance to process any of this or speak for herself. But we know our daughter, we know her heart, and when she returns, we believe she'll face this with honesty, growth, and grace. While she'll always be our little girl, she's also a woman, one who will take responsibility in her own time and her own voice. Until then, we're simply asking for passion, for patience, for basic human decency, not just for her, but for everyone called in the middle of this. Thank you to those who have continued to show love even when it's not easy. Man, right, that ain't that you can apply that to any relationship you've ever been in.
Speaker 4: It's so true love show love.
Speaker 3: Even when it's not easy. And yeah, they signed off with love her family. That this is necessary right now, even the show right rol yes, as twice this season put out statements saying, everybody calm down with the bullying and the hate.
Speaker 1: The sad thing is, oh, the irony. You're coming after someone because they showed ignorance and perhaps even hate in that ignorance. That's painful, and you return it with more hate, with more pain. That you are now just as bad as the original offense. And that's what to me is so sad because if you're trying to prove a point, you're trying to make someone aware, if you're trying to change things, adding more hate and more fuel to the fire only makes everyone.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: They say, when you throw them out, everyone gets dirty. I mean, that's what's happening.
Speaker 3: I can't defend. Nobody's going to defend what she said. No, we can absolutely defend. I don't know her, no, but I can defend her as a human being. And she doesn't deserve this, not based on the transgression. That's not what I'm saying at all. Nobody deserves people make mistakes. Not defending that, but you a death threats, kick out the country. We can't have a more mature discussion about what she said.
Speaker 2: Why she said.
Speaker 3: I bet there are plenty of kids right now out there saying that term don't even realize how offensive it is.
Speaker 4: Correct, And it seemed like she didn't right.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's okay to be an idiot. I'm not calling her stupid person, but there's some things you just ignorant.
Speaker 3: You're ignorant on some things, and it seems like I don't know her heart at all, But she doesn't deserve and.
Speaker 2: This is too far up.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: I actually I my heart breaks for anyone, especially people who are in immediately and I know they chose it to be on a reality show, but young enough to not really recognize that what comes with that, and to then be thrust into this white hot light where everyone is judging you. It's really tough.
Speaker 3: Even if you want to kick her off the show and say she doesn't deserve the privilege based on that, I don't think I'd hoot and holler yeatty fine, you all do that. I have to take issue with all the stuff that's coming from and you spoke this week, we're going to get into our quote of the day, something we want you to take with you and consider. But the Dalai Lama turned ninety on Sunday. We were very excited. He said he's going to live into one hundred and thirty twenty one hundred.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: So but Robe decided we should dedicate this week to all Dalai Lama quotes, which there are plenty.
Speaker 2: We should dedicate We could do the morning Run for the next ten years.
Speaker 4: I think we could.
Speaker 2: We had nothing but Dala Lama quae.
Speaker 1: Interestingly enough, I picked this quote out this morning before I saw the Love Island story and what her parents had written, and this just falls right in line. So let's all just be more like the Dalai Lama. Here is our quote of the day. Love is the absence of judgment. The more you are motivated by love, the more fearless and free your action will be.
Speaker 4: Isn't that amazing?
Speaker 2: Very simple? Love is the absence of judgment. Wow, And I failed on that last part. Yesterday. I wasn't motivated by love. I was kind of annoyed by something I did. I didn't behave, but.
Speaker 1: You showed No, we had something pop up, but I believe, I know, I don't just believe it. You showed compassion, even if you weren't putting that label on it. You were showing compassion. And you might have felt judgment in your heart, but you showed compassion and that is love. And you felt free. You actually felt so great yesterday.
Speaker 2: I felt like I was flying. Yes, it was a good day. But yes, take that with you.
Speaker 3: What today from the Dalai Lama vote is our, folks, is our quote of the day. Love is the absence of judgment. The more you are motivated by love, the more fearless and free your action will be. And with that, I hope you got something out of that last quote, but also the quote from the family of Sierra or Ty can just kind of keep that in mind.
Speaker 2: Yes, people make mistakes. We all make mistakes. It doesn't mean.
Speaker 3: We are the mistakes necessarily that we make.
Speaker 1: So with that, I'm TJ and I'm Amy Roebuck. Have a wonderful Tuesday. Everybody,