Speaker 1: I guess Congress has just become a strongly worded letter apparatus.
Speaker 2: It's a bad Yelp review for the President.
Speaker 1: Yes, it carries all the gravitas of a bad Yelp review. Welcome to Snapfoo, the show about history's greatest screw ups, where we delve into all the MESSI mayhem and then try to figure out what it says about us as human beings and spoiler alert, it's usually not very good things. I'm at Helm's your host, and today I'm joined by the host of the insanely popular and entertaining podcast Behind the Bastards, which examines the lives and legacies of history's worst people. After first establishing his writing jobs at humor website Cracked, this guest worked for the Investigative Journalism Group. He also reported from conflict zones around the world, including Iraq, Syria, and Ukraine, writing extensively on extremism, disinformation, and political violence. In addition to his podcasting work, he is the author of the novel After the Revolution, a speculative story about a fractured future America. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the incomparable Robert Evans.
Speaker 2: That was such a nice introduction. Thank you. That's the whole podcast. After all the terrible things I've told you, all I do is.
Speaker 1: Just give these lovely, glowing introductions and then we call it today. No, I am, I'm so glad to have you on. I of course have been a guest on your podcast Behind the Bastards, not once, but twice. Right, I'm still waiting for my third invite. Not going to hold it against you yet, but just putting that out there. I mean to have you back, but I'm super excited to play host to you this time.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to be on Snaffoo. I've been listening season one, and yeah, I'm glad to get to actually participate in the show now.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to hear what you're going to tell me about you are in it now. It's funny our shows have some thematic similarities. You focus on bad people throughout history. I focus on bad events or incidents or mistakes throughout history. Why are we so drawn to the dark side, Robert Evans?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think there's part of it's just like this little piece in all of us that's encoded by evolution to where like if somebody else screws up in a major way you want to pay attention to see. It's like if you see a car wreck, it's like, what happened there? Can I avoid that? Can I make sure I don't get into that kind of problem.
Speaker 1: It's funny you put it that way, because I feel like that's a well intentioned or it's sort of a positive spin on why we're drawn to these things. I feel like there's a darker impulse in all of us, Like why we look at car crashes. It's not because it's like we're looking for ways to avoid that. It's because I think, what, what is it? It makes us feel safer to see other people injured or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know. That is a good one because like one of my favorite ways to relax, like when my friends and I a couple of years ago, we all got laid off at the website we've been working for, and I had everyone over to the house and I just put on hours with a footage of like people injuring themselves trying to cut down trees. Because it'll be like a guy and his kid and like a three hundred year old oak tree and he's got like a forty dollars sauce that you bought from home depot, and he's like, I can take this tree. And I just love watching like the Hubris meet with physics. But there is a darkness to it as well.
Speaker 1: I think we all have a sort of schadenfreud of gene in us. That's sort of like it can be soothing to just know we're not alone in our pain and misery in this world. Yeah, it's pretty universal.
Speaker 2: And someone always has it worse than you do pretty much.
Speaker 1: Now you have a background in investigative journalism with some pretty serious chops in that area. What drew you into that space?
Speaker 2: You know, I've always been fascinated by conflict. I came into it sort of as like a military history nerd, someone who was interested in that. But really what kind of like broke me into like a significant role in media was I just happened to be paying attention to these weird little corners of the internet right as like the alt right erupted and you know, eight chan, four chan kind of like became major things in terms of like people were carrying out attacks and stuff based on you know, having been radicalized in these little fascist corners of the Internet, And I just kind of been watching them for a couple of years, and so I've realized at a certain point, like, oh, there's not a lot of other people who understand how these communities work. I should probably explain them to people, because members of those communities are now killing people.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It was a mix of like accident and I guess happenstance.
Speaker 1: Sure, well, it was a product of your own curiosity, right, And I think I feel like that's one of the traits of the great journalists out there, is like this relentless curiosity and that it's coming from a genuine place. It's not just like how do I get the next big scoop? You know, it's like, yeah, I really my sense and I'm not a journalist at all, but my sense of it is that the journalists, the great ones, really have like a personal, like unquenchable thirst to know and this curiosity that drives through because investigative journalism is tedious, it is incredibly time consuming, it can be it can be dangerous a lot of times, and uh, and that thirst for for the truth or for knowledge or for for clarity on something is really powerful. I think it's such an admirable space to be in do you see great investigative journalism happening today? Like, who are the people shit that you think are really standing out or doing great work? I mean besides Tucker Carlson, of course, of course Tucker. You and I are both big fans of of Tucker.
Speaker 2: You know, my old colleagues at Ballet Cat continue to do great work. You know, the New York Times Visual Investigations desk has done some really impressive open source reporting on conflicts, I mean all over the world over the last like several years. I find myself really interested in BBC Africa Eye, which is their kind of open source covering, like particularly like war crimes in places like Cameroon. So there's a lot of really interesting nuts and bolts work being done by folks who are willing to do things like spend hundreds of hours combing through like footage that we know is a war crime but we don't know what militia was responsible or where it was done, and like laboriously matching, like you can kind of see a mountain in the background, and so they'll just spend weeks going through Google Maps and like it's this mountain and because of where it is in the frame, of the shot. We can like now locate this exact point geographically, and we know that these militant groups were acted Like that's really impressive work to make so much more of a pain in the butt than what I did, you know, when I was covering that stuff. So I have tremendous admiration for that and anybody who's doing like financial crimes investigative journalism. This the wonkiness required, the ability to dig deep into like the financials of a company that's doing something wrong, is so labor intensive.
Speaker 1: I can barely balance my check book. I can't. I can't even wrap my head around that stuff. And then it's not not only the digging into it and the figuring it out, it's the it's then the ability to translate it into English and then an interesting way that that lay people can understand. Well, kudos to you and your your colleagues and all the people out there doing great investigative journalism. So let's dig in for today's snafu. I chose something that I think is kind of in both of our wheelhouses because it features both bad people and bad events, which makes it, you know, it's kind of a it's a mashup of behind the Bastards and Snaffou.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: What would we call that?
Speaker 2: Behind the snaffs?
Speaker 1: Behind? I feel like there's a good portmanteau with with snaffoo and bastards, and I want to call it snastards.
Speaker 2: Sure, that's the best. There we go, There we go. We're gonna cut all that.
Speaker 1: All right. Today's episode is peak Reagan era Cold War insanity, A true international pickle of the extra spicy variety. This is the Ran Contra Affair.
Speaker 2: Beautiful.
Speaker 1: Do you remember anything about this? I think I'm a little older than you. I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was born in eighty eight, so I don't like have first hand memories of it, but I do remember. I remember my first because I grew up in a very conservative household and we watched Fox News a lot, and Olliver North had a television show, The Bush Years, Sure Story, which.
Speaker 1: I've always on CNN. Was it on I think his shirt was on CNN. Yeah, he had like a war history show. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I forget which network it was on, but I know it was on a lot. And I asked my parents, like, who is Who's that guy? They were like, well, he got in some trouble a few years back, but it was totally Yeah, that was my parents.
Speaker 1: We'll learn a lot about Oliver North today. It's funny I remember, I feel like and maybe it's just because I've read so much about it, but I I feel like I remember seeing these hearings and news coverage as a kid. I was born in seventy four, so this was all sort of I was around ten twelve when a lot of this stuff was breaking. But let's get right into it. So I think it's important to start any conversation about the Iran contra affair with a quick warning, which is that this can get a little confusing. While the name sounds like one neat, tidy little package, the Iran contra affair is actually a very complicated web of deceit and absurdity, involving completely different American adversaries into completely different crises in completely different hemispheres, and they all get tangled up in a beautiful knot. As we'll see, these crises were initially so fundamentally unrelated that it's hard to fathom how they mix up. That's part of the fun of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it really says a lot about how widely we were screwing around with the rest of the world. Yeah, those years that like a great point, Nicaragua and Iran went up tied together in a scandal through us.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Yes, these two countries so far.
Speaker 2: Apart, couldn't have less to do with each other.
Speaker 1: The United States manages to just tie them into this beautiful Gordian knot, which we're going to try to unravel a little bit. So let's begin our snapfoo in the summer of nineteen seventy nine, a famously chill, uneventful period in global history. Just kidding, not at all. The Vietnam War had ended just four years prior, the psychic wounds were still very fresh in America. Jimmy Carter was president, and the year's headlines included Vietnam invading Cambodia, China subsequently invading Vietnam because of course, Margaret Thatcher becoming the UK's first female prime minister, and the Iranian Revolution, which will become very important later in our story. Now, let's jump to a tiny country in Central America called Nicaragua, roughly the size of New York State, nestled right between Honduras and Costa Rica. Their leader was dictator Anastasio Somosa, whose family had spent decades running the country with corruption, repression, and a lot of support from good old Uncle Sam. Oh yeah, we're just propping this dictator right on up. But on July nineteenth, nineteen seventy nine, so Moso was overthrown by Nicaragua's socialist Sandinistas. Almost immediately, Ronald Reagan came into office in nineteen eighty, and good Old Ronnie had a very clear worldview communism wasn't something to manage, it was something to beat. This became known, of course, as the Reagan Doctrine, which basically said, we're not just going to try to contain communism around the world. We're going to actively try to roll it back. And one of the ways that we're going to do that is by supporting anti communist forces around the world, as we'll soon see, by pretty much any means necessary. So when Nicaragua was socialist Sandinistas overthrew a US backed dictator in seventy nine, to many Nicaraguans this felt like liberation. But to Washington, it basically felt like Karl Marx had just moved into the guest bedroom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we went to all this trouble to give you guys a nice dictator and up with rocket launchers and machine guns. And this is how you repay us, yeah, forgiving this guy guns to kill you with exactly. Yeah, what the heck?
Speaker 1: Come on? So, yeah, these Sandinistas are socialists, communism adjacent close enough that it just was not feeling good because this wasn't communism bubbling up in Eastern Europe or Southeast Asia, you know, oceans away. This was Central America. It's basically a nine iron chip shot from Texas. And now add in the Sandinista's explicit ties to the Soviet Union, and suddenly Reagan's team is looking at Nicaragua like it's the Cold War's new front line. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's very much like the attitude they had at the time, right, this like if it spills over into one country, it will ineviatively spread into you know, the neighboring countries. And even though, like you know, we saw like it during the Korean War, you've got a communist North Korea. After the or after the ceasefire, you have South Korea, which is not a communist state, and North Korea didn't inevitably spread to its neighbors right, Like this kind of domino theory already had proved to be not totally accurate, but they still really like it's the easiest justification for doing whatever you want, right if you're just like, if we don't take a handle on this, they're going to spread everywhere. There will be communists in marching into Texas.
Speaker 1: Well. I really think that, you know, getting into the national psyche a little bit. At that time, Yeah, there was a genuine sense that communism was just evil, explicitly evil, and I mean, I think there still is in some various corners. But it was not seen as just a sort of competing system of government or sociological experiment of some kind. It was seen as like a very evil enterprise. And also in that way, it was also perceived as kind of a contagion, to your point, like something that could catch hold or sort of correc to people's minds and then take hold. I don't know, if you're a regular American at this time, Robert, are you sort of buying the red scare or are you a little more skeptical.
Speaker 2: I mean, I would hope that I would be skeptical. You know, as a kid, I certainly wasn't and my parents were very much big Reaganites and very much bought in to this whole idea that like communism is this is inherently different from any other kind of system of government around the world, and so much worse even than other any kind of other authoritarian we might back, right, because there's something inherently extra dangerous about communism. And obviously I would say, like looking at the history of this period of time and looking at the history of from like the fifties up through the seventies to the eighties, I don't actually think the evidence is there to say that like these communist regimes were any kind of in any way inherently worse than any other like flawed authoritarian regimes that existed around the world. Right, Like, there's there's upsides and there's downside. There's things they did well, there's things that they did badly. We can now know that, Like, Yeah, the idea that communism, if it was allowed to spread to one country, would inevitably spread to all of its neighbors just untrue. It didn't happen in a bunch of places, right. Costa Rica did not become a communist state, right. But I also, you know, people were playing with a different set amount of information at the time too, And I'm not surprised that, given what folks were learning in school and what organizations like the John Birch Society was spreading in terms of like anti communist propaganda, that a lot of people did believe this is like a life and death thing as opposed to like, well, this is a country that's like these are regimes that are geopolitically opposed to ours, but that doesn't mean they're inherently the devil, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Yeah, I was. I grew up sort of inculcated with a sense that the Soviet Union was was evil that sort of like was a sweeping opinion of just sort of the entire population, which seems kind of.
Speaker 2: But extremely common.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's really interesting to parse here is how much of the anti communist activity on the part of our government at the time was more of an ideological sort of crusade or was it more just about trying to control and influence various sort of geographic pockets around the world. We'll learn a little bit more, but that's a really fun sort of open debate to tap into, and I.
Speaker 2: Think it's kind of worth looking back on previous great power clashes that it happened not that long previously, including like the Great Game between Russia and the British Empire, and kind of the early chunk of the early parts of the twentieth century, very end of the nineteenth century, where you had a lot of the same language, Oh, the t Czarist Russia is this inherently, you know, like destructive spreading force that we have to counter as the British Empire or they'll be right in our backyard. A lot of the same kind of like rhetoric, hype and whatnot that obviously goes away the instant we wind up ally or the instant that Great Britain winds up allied with Zara Stretcha in a war. But it's this, I think a lot of it just is great power conflict. As if you are a great power, and if you're seeing yourself and very much are in fact fighting this kind of cold war against this other great power, they're going to be the devil right within your own country, within sort of the attitude of the ruling class in your country. That's just like the norm historically, whether they're communists or an imperial power, whatever you want to call it, you.
Speaker 1: Know, amen, The Reagan doctrine in a situation like this, the playbook was pretty straightforward. Find the Sandinista's enemies and back them. Support the support the people fighting the Sandiness. So in nineteen eighty one, Reagan authorized the CIA to build and train a paramilitary force of Nicaraguan exiles to destabilize and ultimately topple the government. These counter revolutionaries la Contra ReLU or what became in Washington Shorthand. The contras initially included former members of Somosa's National Guard. Over time, the CIA bulked them up with mercenaries and disillusioned ex Sandinistas who'd broken with the revolution. Quick gut check to these Do these interventions ever go according to plan? Or is it just kind of like a we'll fix it in post foreign policy?
Speaker 2: You know, it depends, I guess because like when we for example, during like Russia's invasion of Afghanistan, the initial stage of that like goes pretty well for US, and that like we back the Mushahideen to an extent, and they really do do a lot of damage to the Red Army and to just the USSR's ability. It's a contributing factor to why the Soviet Union collapses, right, is this disaster in Afghanistan. And so to that extent, like our intervention in Afghanistan worked exactly the way US war planners thought it would, then there were other knock on effects of US messing around in Afghanistan that didn't work out so well in the long run.
Speaker 1: And this Maduro situation with Venezuela is very interesting, and I think the jury's very much still out on how that would happens there, how that's going.
Speaker 2: To shake out.
Speaker 1: But yeah, this is something we like to do as a country. So as this program ramped up, reports trickled back to the US that contra paramilitaries were forming death squads and committing atrocities throughout Nicaragua. Atrocities, of course, is not a word you want associated with your team.
Speaker 2: Death squads, Yeah, death squad squads.
Speaker 1: In November nineteen eighty two, Newsweek exposed the CIA's role in all of this, which removed, of course, any semblance of plausible deniability. The article landed on the desk of Democratic Senator Edward Boland, who was, to use a technical term, extremely pissed off. The thing is Congress generally likes to be told about war stuff, and Reagan had just kind of skipped that step here. So with Boland leading the charge, Congress passed the Boland Amendment, restricting US intelligence agencies by prohibiting any funds quote for the purpose of overthrowing the government of Nicaragua en quote. The vote was unanimous four hundred and eleven to zero, which is pretty.
Speaker 2: It doesn't happen anymore.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, it's pretty rare then, And that was supposed to be the end of it, which historically speaking, is exactly the kind of sentence that guarantees it wasn't the end of it. Interesting question here, do you think that Congress's outrage was more about the human rights abuses going on in Nicaragua or more about being sort of cut out of the decision making process.
Speaker 2: I don't know enough about Boland, so I don't want to say that like, oh, he didn't give a shit about the human rights. But I think Congress on the whole it was more they're coming for like, if this is our bag, we're supposed to have influence here. You're not supposed to be able to do this and not talk to.
Speaker 1: Us, right, yeah, yeah, I mean, the right answer I'm sure is a little bit from column A and a little from columb but the but really this is a standoff of between congressional and executive branch powers, and Congress put their foot down, which was kind of kind of badass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't happen a lot anymore with that point of stuff, or is it not? Is it not really okay? With letting the president know you?
Speaker 1: Is just they just grin and give high fives basically, So, surprise, surprise, Reagan Cia did not follow this new law. In fact, they just doubled down on what they were already doing. In early nineteen eighty four, they helped lay undersea minds at three Nicaraguan ports. This resulted in two people being killed and fifteen wounded, and this time the Wall Street Journal swooped in exposing the whole thing, and Congress was like, seriously, we just we just told you not to do this. So in nineteen eighty four they came back with an even stricter, more explicit law and they're like, guys, we really mean it this time, no more meddling in Nicaragua.
Speaker 2: Stop it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, at this point, is it are they really doing anything than just writing a strongly worded letter.
Speaker 2: No, this is a series destroyed the Bowland Amendment amendment Like.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, this is a I guess Congress has just become a strongly worded letter apparatus that's kind.
Speaker 2: Of a review review for the president.
Speaker 1: Yes, it carries all the gravitas of a bad YELP review. Well, Q Reagan's team finding a loophole yet again. The National Security Council or NSC basically said, hey, the Boland Amendment only strict intelligence agencies, and we're not technically an intelligence agency, which is a bit like a casino saying, like, we're not a massive gambling operation. We're just a little mom and pop motel with some card games in the line.
Speaker 2: This is a bar with sts.
Speaker 1: Quick little bit of context. The National Security Council is the president's inner circle on foreign policy. Usually it will contain the Vice President, the Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense, national Security Advisor, all the heavy hitters coordinating military, intelligence and diplomacy. So they're kind of overseeing the intelligence agencies. But they're technical. I guess they're sort of excusing themselves like, we're technically not an intelligence agency, so the working doesn't apply here. Right right. But if there is a giant global move on the on behalf of the United States, like it's because of this group.
Speaker 2: Right right, And there's certainly like orders are going out to intelligence agencies as a result stuff the NSC is doing exactly Yeah.
Speaker 1: But by declaring themselves not an intelligence agency, wink wink, nudge, nudge, they effectively sidestepped the law and kept on covertly operating in Nicaragua and beyond. There's something so incredible about how bullshittable our legal system is it really is, or not just our legal system, but like our system of laws like or bills, amendments, congressional sort of mandates and so forth. Like lawyers who have mastered the like crawling between the cracks of language in order to justify and carve out things. It's really a wild way that our it's almost like our language fails us because it doesn't address the most obvious and intellectually honest take on something.
Speaker 2: I think part of the problem is that like we're raised and we grow up in schools, we're educated with this understanding about like the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and the way in which like separation of power works that is very much taught to us as like and these are like the pillars of our society, and these are like hard rules about how things are supposed to work. And the reality is that like all of the rules that govern what our leaders have the power to do are like the monopoly rules in that like, yeah, there's rules, and if you catch someone doing something wrong, sometimes you can make them like put the money they stole back in the in the bank or whatever. But the name of the game is to get away with what you can get away with. There's people who spend their whole lives figuring out how much can we get away with? And some of those people happen to now be Supreme Court Justice Sis, so they're getting away with a lot more. But like, yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh boy. All of this brings us to a man named Lieutenant Colonel Oliver North, and he's the one who's going to sort of rope in Iran to this mess. So who is Oliver North? He was born in nineteen four forty three in San Antonio, Texas and raised in a middle class family in New York. He entered the Naval Academy in nineteen sixty three and graduated as a second lieutenant in the US Marine Corps in nineteen sixty eight. After serving in Vietnam, he continued his military career in various roles, and by June nineteen eighty one, Reagan assigned him to the National Security Council staff. Now that this was a bit unusual. The NFC is typically staffed by civilians to keep the military from getting too entangled in shaping foreign policy, but Reagan blurred that line, bringing in military officers like Oliver North, who wound up serving as an aid to Deputy National Security Advisor Admiral John Poindexter. Okay, so how does Oliver North drag Iran into a story that started in Nicaragua. Well, let's take a little detour and then we'll sort of circle back. Remember when Nicaraguan revolutionaries were overthrowing a US backed dictator in nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 2: Show it.
Speaker 1: Well, it turns out that kind of the same thing was happening at the exact same time in Iran. So in nineteen seventy nine, we're back. In nineteen seventy nine, the Iranian revolution overthrew the US backed Shah Mohammad Reza Paulavi, and of course brought Ayatola Komani to power, turning Iran into an Islamic republic which was openly hostile to the United States. This is the same rupture still driving US Iran tensions today. It's what Donald Trump and pe Hegseth are relentlessly referring to as they are beating their war drums. It's so crazy to me that we're talking about nineteen seventy nine revolutions and Cold War fears and it's all knotted up in today's headlines. Right, is this history repeating or is it just sort of a story that has never finished.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a story that's never finished because people liked you. I think history repeating is certainly a way you can look at it. I tend to think of it as like if you have like an issue with like your pipes, and like you have to like get the plunge you'r in or whatever, like snake your drain, but you don't actually like clean it all the way. You just get it enough to get it working again. They're like, it's good for now, I'll fix it later, And then you don't fix it for years and you have another Like that's like I tend to look at especially stuff with like our relationship to Iran that way because like a lot of what's happening. The guy who, like the father of the Shah who gets overthrown in seventy nine was like an aggressive, violent secularist to where like he was saying, Okay, we're doing a way with like all the religious you know, the headscarfs and stuff that women wear, all the religious and traditional clothing that people have worn, but not in like now, you can wear modern clothes if you want, but in my cops will beat you up on the street if they see you like wearing the stuff you used to wear. And so people get like really angry about that, and like likewise, you get this chunk of the country that is really angry because from the previously the British and than the United States are just kind of extracting oil wealth from Iran and bribing these authoritarian leaders who are then like brutal to the populace, and it creates a lot of fuel for reaction. And then once the once come any takes over and once you get this as lomest hardline government in Iran because there's so much anger and because they're so hostile to the West, you get this like horrible hostage situation, which is a big part of why Carter loses to get there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it starts the relate. So I think it's like it's a problem we never fixed, and so that's why the problems seem similar every time they crop up, right, like the conflict.
Speaker 1: You're getting at this other thing that I'm so fascinated by, which is that as a population, we ever settle into the sort of calm center of things, just we just always go. We just swing back and forth. So like the reaction to an oppressive religious government is like an oppressive secular government, right, it's not just sort of like, hey, can we just chill? And I do think that that is America at its best, is when we're sort of at our most like let's all just chill. Let's just be chill. And that's what that's sort of where I don't know that to me is how I interpret the origin of America as being like, hey, everybody's too extreme. We're going to figure out a way to kind of dial in and like codify a government that that is stays in the middle. And it might and it'll swing, but it's not going to go to these extremes.
Speaker 2: Right, We're supposed to avoid that, Like that was at least part of the idea. But I think part of the problem is that when it comes to these countries where we're like backing a leader, we don't care about like the the priority was never that Iran would have a stable, functional government that like worked for most Iranians. The priority was, well, we need a lot of fuel and we want to make sure that the Soviets don't wind up having too much influence here. So we didn't like, we never cared about the Iranian meant like functioning well. And so it's the same thing with Simosa right in Nicaragua. When we were supporting him, it was not because, well, this guy's legitimately the best pick for the Nicaraguan people, right.
Speaker 1: Right, All right, Well, we're near the end of nineteen seventy nine and things are getting extra spicy. Iranian militants stormed the US embassy in Tehran and took fifty two American hostages. They held them for four hundred and forty four days. It dominated the news, It wrecked Jimmy Carter politically, and it cemented ran in the collective American psyche as a full blown adversary. Right, this is all that everything you were referring to a minute ago. Now, this is kind of cool. If you've seen the movie Argo, you know, a very wild slice of this story about a fake sci fi movie production that was created as a cover to help extract six US diplomats from TEHRANI eazy story. I loved that movie. I thought it was so cool. Part of what I loved about it obviously it was just a beautifully executed movie with tons of humor and tension and drama. But it's also to me, sort of Hollywood at its best, when there's like a great collision of storytelling and history. Who knows how accurate it was, but anything that kind of sparks public interest in history is so fun and exciting.
Speaker 2: It's a perfect thing piece of history for Hollywood to cover because it's also inherently a very Hollywood story. Like the whole reason that plan worked is because everywhere has like an understanding of like what Hollywood is like, even these places that we're really massive conflicts with, So like, yeah, it provided this this It's a fascinating story.
Speaker 1: Anyway, go watch our go on your on your own time listeners and then circle back. So we're going to flash forward now once again, back to nineteen eighty four. If you remember, we left the nic Roguin story in nineteen eighty four with the Bowland Amendment and all of that fallout, And now the NSC has decided, of course, that it is not an intelligence agency. And Reagan was eager to avoid any repeats of this hostage situation that ruined Carter's presidency, which is why he did not respond well to the news that hes Belah, which was supported by Iran, had now taken twenty five American hostages in Lebanon in nineteen eighty four. Now eager to protect his reputation, Reagan tasked our friend Ali North with figuring out how to bring those Americans home. The problem, the Iran backed Hesbla militants were designated terrorists, which makes them off limits to direct contact or negotiation. What's more, the US had placed Iran under an embargo because they sponsored Hesbela, so negotiating or directly dealing with Iran in any way was supposed to be a huge no no.
Speaker 2: I grew up on enough nineties movies to know the United States does not negotiate with terrorists since like five different fake presidents told me in action movies, isn't it?
Speaker 1: So that's so great, that's so true. I feel like it emerged in some actual presidential addresses as well. But yeah, no, the nineties movie discourse nailed that. We're gonna hit the brakes right there, and we're going to bring you the final part, the grand conclusion of the Iran contra affair next week on SNAFU, So keep an eye out. Robert Evans will be returning to hear out the rest of this and thanks so much for listening. We'll be back with Robert Evans next week for part two of this insane story. Snafu is a production of iHeart Podcasts and Snaffo Media, a partnership between Film Nation Entertainment and Pacific Electric Picture Company. Post production and creative support from good Egg Audio. Our executive producers are me Ed Helms, Mike Falbo, glennaer, Andy Kim, and Dylan Fagan. This episode was produced by Alyssa Martino and Tory Smith. Our managing producer is Carl Nellis. Our video editor is Jared Smith. Technical direction and engineering from Nick Dooley. Additional story editing from Carl Nellis. Our creative executive is Brett Harris. Logo and branding by Matt Gosson and the collected works. Legal review from Dan Welsh, Meghan Halson and Caroline Johnson. Special thanks to Isaac Dunham, Adam Horn, Lane Klein, and everyone at iHeart Podcasts, but especially Will Pearson, Kerrie Lieberman and Nikki Atoor. While I have you, don't forget to pick up a copy of my book, Snaffoo, The Definitive Guide to History's Greatest screw Ups. It's available now from any book retailer. Just go to Snaffoo dashbook dot com. Thanks for listening, and see you next week.