Speaker 1: Welcome into Jagsam on this Thursday. I'm Kannannie Stevens. We're getting ready for a week eight of the season. The Jaguars are going to take on the Packers this weekend at home. So let's kick things off with our big things today. Big Thing number one, best of the best. Does Peterson talking yesterday about what players he's going to be playing on defense as some players are coming off the injured reserve this week, and he says to him, you have to play the best eleven players. But I do still think that there's enough of a rotational piece for those guys.
Speaker 2: I think that's one of the positions.
Speaker 3: That's gotten better.
Speaker 4: You know, the last couple of weeks hasn't been the linebacker.
Speaker 3: I think Devin in the middle gotten better than Trell.
Speaker 1: We know he's improved, and now with the additional Foyer coming back, if he's ready to go, I think he's got your combinations back if you want.
Speaker 3: Ran.
Speaker 1: That specific question was about whether Ventrel Miller and Froy Alucan would be playing together as they saw Obviously the way Ryan Nielson rotates his defense, I'm sure we'll see everybody out there, but whether that would be a rotation. I think we might see them actually together. We've talked about this and I think it might actually happen.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, yes, make that happen, because listen, you know have to be a football expert. You don't have to be a scout and burn up the table to see that Ventrel Miller belongs on the field. The way that he arrives at the ball, Guys go backward when he hits them. He's a young player with a lot of energy.
Speaker 5: John.
Speaker 4: He makes tons of tackles. I'm sure he makes mistakes as well, but he's a guy that the more you play him, the better he'll get. Foye Lui hun comes back. Is your most accomplished linebacker. Why wouldn't you have them on the field.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: We've been talking a lot this year about, you know, Jaguar's knee, guys who make plays in big situations, and I feel like Ventrel Miller has shown he's that guy. He's a football player, he's instinctive. He seems to be in the right place at the right time. I think I think it's a positive for this defense in the next few weeks. I don't know if Foyer's back this week. I don't know if Dewey Winards back this week, but don't all those guys sort of fit that of guys who are good football player and I'd say great athletes, you know, but they're in.
Speaker 6: The right situation, they make plays.
Speaker 7: You could see the middle of the defense get a lot better in next couple weeks because of that.
Speaker 1: Our second big thing going to be stay the course. We're talking about some of those players returning to this team, and we've also talked about taking it one week at a time, right, but we've seen this team go on runs before, specifically in the twenty twenty two season. Andrew Wingard addressed that what the differences between the teams.
Speaker 3: Were when we get into these late, you know, early November games. I think that's when we get dangerous. Honestly. Teams are starting to look at playoff pictures, they're starting to look at.
Speaker 8: Divisional races, and they're not really thinking about us, and I think that's when we can, you know, sort of jump on teams. And that's really what we did late in twenty two. I mean jumped on Dallas, jumped on Baltimore or stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So it's not gonna take I mean if you were to look at it on paper, you'd.
Speaker 8: Say, oh, god, we played we play Minnesota, we played Green Bay, we played Detroit.
Speaker 3: But it's like, we have such a talented team.
Speaker 8: And I've been on bad teams here, like bad teams that you knew were gonna lose, like you literally had no chance. But this team is seriously so good and I can't remember who last it. But back to your point about being away from it, like this team is damn good. I can get a damn good team. It's just you gotta go make plays. And I think we didn't make plays early, but you take that variance, the things are gonna flip. And as long as we just stayed you know, ten toes down and just put up to push all the chips into the metal, we're gonna be fine.
Speaker 3: John.
Speaker 1: I think Dey's confidence alone has me gassed up. I'm believing in them again. He's saying that, you know, when they made that come back in twenty twenty two, nothing really changed. They just took it one game at a time, as they always say. But you know, maybe some of the pressure being on other teams, they can feed off of that and kind of underestimating the team is that something you agree with or what.
Speaker 6: Do you think of his take? He's the best.
Speaker 7: I mean he look, I don't know if he's the fastest guy in the world and if he's the best safety I've ever seen, but.
Speaker 6: He gets it. I'm not sure there's ever.
Speaker 7: Been a guy who has been so embraced by the fan base because they get it. The best thing he said, and probably off topic, he was asked about being the savior yesterday and it was a little sarcastic, and you could see him thinking back to his rookie year and his second year when the fans just couldn't stand him, and he goes, boy, it's changed, that's new, you know. But look, he's right, And the reason it's important for him to be back is because he can say what he said in that SoundBite to the players and they get it. They believe him. He's a leader. They know he's here for the right reason, playing for the right reasons. Getting him back's key, and Brian, he's right. You know, it's only a few plays that had them out of this thing. A few plays could get them back into this thing.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, they lost on opening day in Miami at a field goal to a field goal at the final play of the game, and they lost on the last play of the game in Houston. So you can make the case they're certainly better than the record indicates they are. They just haven't played well enough to get it done. Getting Dewy back, Tyson Campbell's on the field. Foyer should be back here in the next week or so. To get these guys back in the middle of the defense would certainly help them out. But I do think it's the confidence that he brings, that the understanding of the defense that he brings, and just effect that. If you recall the Baltimore game, even the Dallas game, he was in on Nickel and Dine packages, making plays on third and fourth downs that got the ball back for the Jaguars offense. He was a critical player in that run. So when he says it, he says it with authority, and they haven't had enough authority in that locker room in recent weeks.
Speaker 7: Ky, there are some player Sorry I interrupted, I got everybody off track. There are some players who everybody worries about what they can't do with Dewey. Embrace what he does do and what he does bring back, and he's one of those guys.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, hopefully we see him sooner than later. Possibility he'll be in this week against the Packers. Our final big thing today is going to be a lot versus a little. We've talked a lot about takeaways, how this team hasn't had a lot of takeaways. Packers have had a lot of takeaways seventeen so far this season, but they've also turned the ball over a lot. Jordan Love throwing some interceptions for sure. So Brian, when you're looking at the differences between takeaways and turnovers and whatnot, do you think that can play a key factor.
Speaker 4: In this game. Well, I do, And since you talked about their defense, I'll stay on that side of the ball. Trevor Lawrence last year had fourteen interceptions and seven fumbles. Seven we can remember some of the big ones. The one here against the Baltimore Ravens at the end of the first half, you know, sticks out in my mind. He has only turned the ball over three times this year and lack on wood there. Brian had no fumbles none. So the point is is that one of the reasons why I have confidence in their ability to go play with the Packers is because the quarterback is playing well. He's played well the last three weeks, and he's protecting the football. He talked about it yesterday when he met with the media, talked about the drills that he goes through, but the mental approach to protecting the ball, like putting two hands on it when you get outside the pocket and not taking the other hand off of it until you're literally ready to throw the football. It's the little things that make the biggest difference, and he's really keyed in on the little things right now.
Speaker 7: Ye, I very much agree with Brian. It's a overlooked story because they haven't won, but he's done a great job protecting the ball, and to me, that's the key to this game. On Sunday, Packers seventeen takeaways through these games is served, especially considering they didn't have one last week and the Jaguars only have two defensive takeaways.
Speaker 6: You're not gonna win in the NFL.
Speaker 7: You're gonna be two and five if you have two defensive takeaways after seven games.
Speaker 6: If they can reverse that, you can stay in this game.
Speaker 4: And there's a reason why you should be optimistic about their ability, and that is in the four games since Jordan lov Raturny has thirteen touchdown passes and a reason to be very wary of what he's capable of. But he also has eight interceptions in that same time framet, so he's a risk taker and he's going to make him throws. Maybe this is the week that Cisco or Tyson holds the ball and gives the offense an extra possession on the other side of the field.
Speaker 1: There will be opportunities, just have to take advantage. Say it's here on Jagsam, we're going to dive a little bit deeper into that matchup against the Green Bay Packers. Jag Zam is brought to you by Seafield's First, Jacksonville's premier luxury autogroup. You can head over the Fields Auto dot com to check it out. Welcome back into jags Aam. It is week eight. As I mentioned, it hard to believe at this point, but we are getting there and they're taking on the Green Bay Packers this week, which is certainly going to be a challenge. The NFC North in general is going to be a challenge for this Jaguars team. So I listened into some of their media availability yesterday kind of trying to feel out where they are at exactly. Matt Lafleur obviously very well researched on every team he faces, but he talked a little bit about what Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 4: Brings to a game.
Speaker 9: I see an elite quarterback that's capable of making every throw and then he can beat you with his legs. So I don't think there's anything he can't do. I think he is an elite guy and he's got some weapons around him, and like I said earlier, I just think it's gonna be a good challenge for us.
Speaker 1: Obviously very respectful of Trevor's talents, Brian, I sometimes forget to what that Trevor does run right, but he can scramble a little bit, and I'm like, oh, yeah, that's something you have to think about with him, for sure. And I think he's even gotten better this year because when he does scramble, he still is looking to throw the football, which I think is an evolution of his game. I've noticed that is a step that he's taken.
Speaker 5: Since last season.
Speaker 6: Without a doubt.
Speaker 4: His mobility outside the pocket, I mean, he's not Lamar Jackson by any stretch of the imagination, but he can keep things alive and with a guy like Brian Thomas breaking down the field, that's a really important thing. I just I went back and I watched the throw again to Brian Thomas, and when you see Christian Gonzalez arm outstretched over his shoulder, you marvel at the fact that the ball just went right inside that and somehow Brian was able to look up over his shoulder with the arm there, running full speed, falling and still get the ball. I mean, it was a phenomenal catch, but it was a great throw, and it's hard not to say he has elite traits when you see that throw.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it became so vogue when he had one bad game where he missed two guys right, and that was against the Texans.
Speaker 5: I thought just as impressive. A throw the other day was a throw to Christian Kirk over.
Speaker 7: The top of the twenty four yard I him if it was a safety or linebacker, but he had to throw to a level between the enders.
Speaker 5: At a time when the game didn't feel very good for the Jaguars. That was a huge play. Look, he's coming along.
Speaker 7: You talk about above the x's and o's type plays. To me, that was an above the x's and o's type play. Uh, it's a play you should make when every quarterback makes it. He's starting to do that stuff and you just need to see it more consistently and you know, keep growing and all those things we've been talking about.
Speaker 5: But he's he's he's playing better, excuse he is, and at a time.
Speaker 1: Now where obviously you've seen what Brian Thomas Junior can do, but a lot of talent is around him, which is I think helping him elevate his game. David McKinney, one of the safeties for the Packers, spoke about the threat that BTJ is and what they look for with the game play.
Speaker 3: A lot.
Speaker 10: He gives him his a vertical threat for them. Obviously, he's a guy that has great hair and he's got goot speed. So I think it helps their their offense a lot. And he's another playmaker. Uh that's you know, that's added to what they already have. So like I said, man, they got a talented offense man, and they got some they got some really good guys. It's just been that small you know, sometimes it just happens. I I I I've been in New York where you know there were games where you know it it came down to three points or seven points, and sometimes you just don't win those games.
Speaker 3: And but it doesn't say, uh, it doesn't you know, tell all this the the whole story.
Speaker 10: So, uh, we definitely understand that we we n we know that, you know, they're capable of of winning these.
Speaker 6: Games, they just haven't and sometimes it's just how things shake out.
Speaker 10: But uh, we do know that they have a very talented team and we gotta, you know, make sure that we are on our p's and q's.
Speaker 1: John when you hear you know, obviously they're talking about the Jaguars kind of losing some of these one score games, but also the talent that's around and we've seen Brian Thomas Junior, but now to see that it's coming out on tape and and teams are aware of the presence and the speed that he brings. I think that'll kind of lead to some other things elsewhere on the offense because of the respect that Brian's now getting.
Speaker 7: Well, it was a couple of things. This will be Brian's next step, meaning now teams are very aware of him. They'll shade defenses to him a little bit. That hinders some guys and some guys play right through that, and you get the idea for Brian Thomas Junior because not like teams haven't been aware of him, the Patriots, we're aware of him, and he still made plays through that. You can't double cover a guy in every scheme on every play. I think they'll still continue to throwing the ball when it's there, but absolutely it's gonna help Christian Kirk and Evan Ingram, maybe even Gabe Davis. This dynamic Brian is the next step when you get a great player, he shows he's great, and then you have to show how they're going to adapt when defenses start playing that guy differently. This is a very quick evolution, but the next step in the evolution for BTJ.
Speaker 4: Well, and it's a big step for Trevor Lawrence as well, because that guy McKinney leads the NFL with five interceptions in seven games, So you can bet that they're going to have him wherever seven is and the quarterback is going to have to throw in that direction Kui, which means you're going to be very smart. You're going to have to make good throws. There's going to be some high percentage throws and some of those Let's take a shot. Because he's that good. We got our best, their best. Let's go for it. But to your point, if he's over there covering Brian Thomas Jr. Someone else is going to have an opportunity to make a play, which should open things up. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Let's turn to the defensive side of football. Obviously, Jordan love some of that injury and the season opener, but he's been back recently and been playing pretty well and showing that ability that we've seen and what people are expecting him to be in terms of a great quarterback. He talked a little bit yesterday about the offensive philosophy he's working.
Speaker 6: With, the explosive plays.
Speaker 2: The big play kind of mentality that we have is to go hunt those explosive plays, and you know, we got a lot of play makers who were making some big time plays, so that's very exciting to see. But yeah, I think the biggest thing for us is finding that consistency, trying to go and not have any drives, whereas those three and out drives where you're out there quick and back on the sideline. So just trying to build on every little thing and keep stack of the details will be huge for us.
Speaker 1: Jordan Love focusing on those explosive plays. We've certainly seen a lot of those. I know, defense around here likes to do nothing cheap, nothing deep, but they're going to try to go deep on you. And it's a matter of dealing with that.
Speaker 4: They have speed, I mean, just they have speed all over their receiver corps. And this guy's got the arm and just you know, I just an appreciation for the fact that he sat the bench for a couple of years behind Aaron Rodgers. So if you go back more than thirty what farve got there? At ninety ninety two two he arrived in Green Bay. So Brett Farr to Aaron Rodgers to Jordan Love, Yeah, thirty plus years, they've only had three quarterbacks. They have a great run going and this guy, if you watch the playoff game that he helped them winning Dallas last year, you realized he was that level of quarterback.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the Packers kind of show you.
Speaker 7: And this is not I mean, I'm a players guy. Players absolutely are the NFL. Sometimes you can't listen to players if you want to go to a great organization. Meaning Far didn't like it when they brought in Aaron Rodgers, Rodgers didn't like when they brought in Jordan Love. It's not your team, so we're gonna do what's best. Also, Packers of Jordan Love did a great thing the most franchises don't do anymore, which is fans didn't like the pick because they wanted receivers ere Aaron Rodgers, Fine, you think that, and now we're going to run the organization. So credit to the Packers.
Speaker 5: They did that.
Speaker 7: And with Jordan Love, right now, this is still the time to get him. He's great, He's going to be great. He is still throwing passes that allow you an opportunity. Javers have had opportunity for interceptions this season. You have to hold the ball, right, Yeah, that's part of it. So if they do that, you know there are quarterbacks in this league who defenses will say, he's going to give us a couple of chances.
Speaker 6: We have to take advantage of the chances.
Speaker 4: He can run. He doesn't want to run, he wants to stand in the pocket. He has such great confidence in his arm, and it's a great arm. And you've got these receivers Read and Dobbs, I mean they and Christian Watson, who's that six foot four guy who is kind of like Brian Thomas. He'll get down the field and then use his length to elevate and make a catch over a defensive back. So they've got it all, sure do.
Speaker 1: Its gonna be a tough one, for sure.
Speaker 5: We'll keep an eye on things.
Speaker 1: We'll tell you after the break what we think the headlines are going to be on Monday morning after the game. Setteth his Lord's trusted and reliable moving company. Seteth how to be the official moving company of the check smel Jaguars to get a guaranteed quote? Is it suteth dot com slash Jacks. We're going to do our little our best at predicting the future today as we think about this game against the Packers, We're going to try to think what we think the headlines will be on Monday. So, Brian, when you're looking forward to Monday, what do you think we'll be talking about?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: I left the locker room yesterday with the distinct sense that this team understood what was in front of them. Not just the fact that the Packers are five and two and they start a stretch with the Eagles and the Vikings and the Texans and the Lions, but that they're capable if they dial in and play their best football, which they haven't done yet this year. So just the sense, the commitment level, right, the purpose that I heard in guys' voices. I say, they're not packing it in right. The rest of the league may say, well, they're two and five, and you saw this week that there was all sorts of proposed trades for the Jaguars because they couldn't think too far forward. They might as well load Christian Kirk or whoever. This team's not packing it in U And that is my headline for Monday. I listen, we all believe this team would be a contender to what level. We weren't sure based on the way last season ended. We weren't entirely stupid. Because they start to and five, there's on this team. So I'm gonna I'm gonna double down here and say that we see with some guys coming back, we starting to see more of what this team is capable of playing like uh and and the Drags are happy on Monday.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I have a feeling, right.
Speaker 7: I went with maybe just maybe because I'm I'm predicting a win and you know, I think they're in a tough situation the Jags, because they are getting better and they're playing more like themselves, they're also coming up on a very difficult stage of the schedule that their best at times may not be good enough because they're playing other teams, but also are their best.
Speaker 6: But I think they'll play well Sunday.
Speaker 7: I think they'll pull out because they're at home, and then maybe, just maybe they can get back in. And I've been saying all week, this is a chance to give themselves a chance. It doesn't mean they're in the playoff race. We still can't talk playoffs next week at three and five, but it at least gets it to where maybe one more and you can talk about it.
Speaker 5: So I think they'll play well. I wonder I worry that they started too late, and I hope I'm wrong.
Speaker 4: Well, if they get to win, we're talking about the next week, and if they don't, then all of a sudden, everyone else starts talking about free agency and the draft and all that stuff. You know, it's much better for them to win this week, Yes it is.
Speaker 5: Let's hope that's true.
Speaker 1: I went with it's a trap because as much as I don't think trap games are fully true, I do think sometimes people when they are contending, can look ahead in their schedule, specifically at other you know, division games at which the Packers have coming up, and I don't think they will overlook the Jaguars comp But if I think the Jaguars come out to the strength that they can, especially with some of these defensive players that they are hopefully getting back this week, I think if you come out and you look a little bit different than maybe they've looked on tape, I think that sometimes takes a little while to get adjusted to you. I'm not saying the Packers can't win that game by any means, but I think if the Jaguars come out look a little bit more feisty than they have in some of these other matchups, that this will be close and down.
Speaker 6: To the wire.
Speaker 4: Last time the Jaguars beat the Green Bay Packers was two thousand and eight. It was the first year that Aaron Rodgers was the starting quarterback, so it's been a while. It would be good for this team to beat this heritage team. And by the way, when the Packers travel, they travel well, it will be there. Probably there will be a lot of Green Bay fans in attendance. So it would be nice to get up, give yourself a chance to get the win and send them all home.
Speaker 1: Quiet, take them out of the take them out, take the noise out of the stadium. For that say with us here, we're gonna tell you what's coming up the rest of the week before the game on Sunday. Jags fans, if you want to customize Jaguars furniture for your home, check out zipcha dot com to rouse all the customizable options. Zip Chair is furniture for fans. Also, this week's game brought to you by Florida Blue, proud to be the exclusive health insurance partner and supporter of the Jacksonville community as the official community partner of the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Speaker 11: Watching him play, you know electric, you know, getting to the ball, they call him missile and all that stuff. You know, it's just definitely contagious, the nage that he brings, you know, still a young guy. Uh, just kind of teaches him the nuances of the game. That's all he really needs now, just understanding you know, where they're attacking him and stuff. But bright spot for sure, and just keep building on his game is gonna be a light Syle player, so I'm gonna enjoy, you know, continue to teach him and play alongside of him. Obviously, we have a talented linebacker room. We got Devin he's playing well too, so really watching them gonna make me step my.
Speaker 5: Own game up.
Speaker 1: Boy Luik and activated practicing again him with the team. Talking about Ventrel Miller there and the energy to missile. That's a good nickname. I hadn't heard that before, so that's a good one. He does fly around the field like a missile. And also Ventrell was in the background listening to all the confidence was just cheasing like this, So I'm excited to see Ventrell. He's actually gonna be at All Access tonight, so if you want to string sports free, he'll be great. John, who are you talking to this week?
Speaker 7: Talking to Tank Bigsbie, So we're both talking to your players, Tank and the Missile.
Speaker 4: And I talked to Matt House, the linebackers coach, about Foyer's return and the rise of Ventrell Miller. So it's all time, very good.
Speaker 1: We love that all right, enjoy the game on Sunday against the Packers. We'll be back on Monday to recap everything for you.