Speaker 1: Welcome everyone to another edition of the KSR Pre Show. Today is Wednesday, April twenty third, and I'm Billy Rutlids along with Shannon the Dude. You can give us a call on the Clark's Pumping Shop phone line. That's eight five nine two eight oh two two eight seven calling b our Whiskey Thief Call of the Day. You can also Texas at five oh two two sixty five six six five six and is always The KSR pre Show is brought to you by ital X Fine Italian Dining in Lexington, open for lunch Wednesday through Sunday and also a great dinner spot if you're in the city. Good morning, Shannon, It's good to see you, buddy. What's up very Hey?
Speaker 2: You doing well?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: Got my silk socks on? Ready to go for another pre show this morning?
Speaker 1: Stop it? Why is that my first topic on my list that I looked up bamboo socks yesterday after the show, Shannon, come on, Pam read in my mind.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, I bought a bamboo shirt before in the past, and you know, it looked really cool. It looked good enough to sell me on it. But then when I got it and rent it through the laundry recycle a few times. It got all these little bitty like little fur balls on them, you know that pop up when you do the laundry.
Speaker 1: Okay, I know, yeah, I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So I had to throw the shirt away.
Speaker 3: So my thoughts on bamboo. I don't have bamboo socks, but shirts. It's a no go for me because of my one experience with that.
Speaker 2: But bamboo sheets, Oh yeah, we're talking.
Speaker 1: Let me ring the bell for you here.
Speaker 2: I've got some bamboo sheets. Those are good. I've got them.
Speaker 1: Yes. The fiance always hooks us up with the best mattresses, the best pillows, and she came home one day with some bamboo sheets. Changed our lives. Shannon, So, I wanted to start the show with saying what can't bamboo do? But apparently you can't run it through the dryer too many times or you'll get the fuzzy things. Yeah a shirt, yeah, Shannon said, But you know, bamboo is a substitute for wood when you're building things. It's something that you can eat. It's also the fastest growing plant on Earth. It can grow up to three feet a day, so it's incredible. All the things that you can do with bamboo. Did not know that there was a market for socks out there, but it sounds like I think a lot of people in Kentucky learned that yesterday when Matt talked about his trip to Amsterdam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, three feet a day? Is that right? Like bamboo, I knew it grew quickly, but.
Speaker 1: Feet a day?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: Or it's possible to get up to three feet a day. Kind of varies.
Speaker 3: So if I put some bamboo in my backyard, like within two days, I've got six feet of bamboo.
Speaker 1: Neighbors aren't going to be seen if you post it on the fence.
Speaker 2: No, don't worry about.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna chop it down and mix socks out of it. So there's a lot of purposes you can use it for. But it sounds like we need to get on the bamboo sock train. Today is Wednesday, April twenty third, and the transfer portal is closed. It's closed, folks. You can no longer enter the portal. Now. There's going to be plenty of movement still in the coming days and weeks, but Shannon, finally the portal has closed. It seemed like a very long two and a half three week period, and we got some more movement in it yesterday that we'll talk about in just a bit. But we just live in crazy times, do we not. It's just this transfer portal thing is odd, and we finally see it to a close today, even though we'll still see some movement in the coming days.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: That is college sports the way it is now, and I think for the foreseeable future, it's just going to be every off season dealing with literally thousands of players jumping in the transfer portal. And you know, like I was one that was always for the transfer portal. I've always said, if college coaches can come and go as they please, players should be allowed to do the same thing. But I'll tell you this nil situation on top of it just throws in an all new mix. You know, not only are players leaving because maybe they're unhappy, but they're also leaving because they can get more money.
Speaker 2: And you know, it's the free market. It's the way of the world.
Speaker 3: You know, if you and I want to leave and go get a better job somewhere with more money, you're free to do it. So that's sort of what college sports has become.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm not really going to get paid money to do one hour of work per day, Shannon, I mean it might be tough for Billy Arschae.
Speaker 2: You got it made, You got it made.
Speaker 1: We're not going to get into that. But if with the trans portal closing today, if you were to look at most websites official rankings, Kentucky has get ready for this in the number one transfer portal class number one boom.
Speaker 2: How about that, man?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you look at all the experience that they've brought in. A guy from a national championship team, has that pedigree to go along with him, and another transfer from Alabama, very good Alabama team. You get throw on some of these mid major players as well. I mean, it worked out pretty well for Mark Pope in one season, and that was throwing it all together very quickly. He had an entire recruiting cycle to put this team together, and you know, I think we should all be really excited about what's ahead for next season.
Speaker 1: Now, teams will still sign players, so that is not the final ranking, but as of right now, if you were to looking on three starts, Kentucky is number one. There were still some movement in the final day of the transfer portal yesterday Boogie Fland entered it from Arkansas. Walker Horn and Grant Darbyshire both have entered the portal show I know to see them go, but also Travis Perry, the eleventh hour addition to the Transfer portal, will Live, will be leaving Kentucky. Played in thirty one games, averaged two point seven points per game in nine point seven minutes, but he was thrusted into a starting role at times, started three straight games during SEC play. Also started in the SEC Tournament when Kentucky took on Bama. Obviously a Kentucky kid in the all time scoring record holder in the state of Kentucky for high school. But Shannon, what were your thoughts when you heard the news that Travis Perry would be leaving the Cats last night?
Speaker 3: Slightly surprised, not like, you know, over the top shocked, but you know, this is a Kentucky kid who knows what it's who knows what it means to put on that Kentucky jersey. And I guess he just saw the writing on the wall, you know, with the guards that Pope has brought in through the Transfer portal, looked at it and said, well, my minutes will probably be really limited. But you know, again it comes down to I just I see so many times players just entering the transfer portal. It's the easy way out. I don't know, like whatever came to, you know, whatever happened to fighting for your spot on the team, you know, I don't know. Maybe he just feels like he wants to go somewhere. Obviously he does. He feels like he wants to go somewhere else. I just don't know where that somewhere else is going to be where he's going to get more playing time unless he takes a big step down to maybe like a mid major type of school.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's tough being a freshman in college athletics trying to play at a blue blood nowadays, because you can so much easier over recruit these guys, right, I mean, you can bring in a guy with national championship experience, was the sixth man on the national title winning Florida Gators, and you're gonna want to play him a little bit more than a sophomore Travis Perry who was still adjusting to the physicality of the game and still learning what he is good at, even though we do know he can shoot that damn ball, My funky rooster brethren is leaving me. Shannon, No, hopefully he doesn't go far. I think my first thought when he went to the portal was come on down to the Hilltoppers.
Speaker 2: All the Hilltoppers.
Speaker 1: I stared, Kentucky, come on down to Bowling Green. It's not too far.
Speaker 2: That could.
Speaker 3: I don't know what Western Kentucky Basketball's roster looks like, but I could definitely see them making a spot for Travis pier.
Speaker 1: We got a spot for him. We got a spot, no matter what. Okay, no, no matter what. I mean, this is the all time leave scorer. Shannon gets some respect on TP's name. Now, I've seen a lot of people say this is a bad move by Mark Pope to force out Travis Perry. I don't think that was the case. Some reporting by Jack Pilgrim on Kezar plus seem to believe that this was a surprise too many on the Kentucky coaching staff. They wanted to go into the season with the role that they had Travis Perry ready to fill. But like you said, Shannon, I kind of get it. I mean, despite your love for a university, if you see the the quote writing on the wall that you're gonna get maybe two three minutes of playing time unless you have a ton of injuries to the guard spot. Why not go play somewhere else and make that money and do what you wanted to do at that level. I get what you're saying. You know, the kids don't stay and they're not going to fight for a spot anymore. But in today's landscape, I can't blame a kid for making this kind of decision, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you look at last season, though, did we really expect Travis Perry to play at all?
Speaker 2: I know, I know, you know, injuries factored in, No injuries.
Speaker 3: Factored in, and you know, I think he took advantage of those of those minutes that he had. But you know, let's not act like we're going to go through an entire season without one injury. I mean, is there ever a season that goes by where somebody doesn't get banged up a little bit to the point to where you have to go next.
Speaker 2: Man up on the bench. Never.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're gonna have to have depth. Yeah, that's important. But Kentucky's got like thirteen guys that.
Speaker 3: Can play now, Shannon, Yeah, So why don't you just work on your game and improve your game to the point to where you're not the thirteenth man off the bench.
Speaker 2: You know, you're a guy that's fighting for playing time.
Speaker 3: But now it's like you said, well, it doesn't look like I'm going to get any minutes. Let me just go over here instead. It's too easy.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I would think that the nil money, though, would be better at Kentucky than anywhere else. I mean, you're a Kentucky guy. You know, you got this in your blood. And now let's say you go transfer to I don't know, I have no idea. Let's just throw a name out there, Dayton, Okay or Xavier. You're not gonna get the Nile money there that you would get here as a Kentucky guy.
Speaker 1: So no, But these guys are competitors, right, and I mean to a degree. I think you know, if you ask the man to man when the lights aren't on, they want to play right. The money's nice, and that's obviously a sticking point with a lot of people, but there's also a reason why people are like, how many starting minutes are you gonna give me? Because these guys want to go to a place where they can play now. You know, I think we could see a trend out of this where freshmen probably start going to mid majors because they're not going to play at the Saint John's right, They're not going to just start at Kentucky unless you are a consensus top five pick in the NBA draft. So maybe that does help schools like Eastern and Western and maybe even a Bellerman get some talent that they wouldn't in the past. Hell, maybe Travis comes back, Shannon, maybe he goes to Western for a couple of years and there's a spot at Kentucky when he's a.
Speaker 2: Little bit better to never know, it could always happen. That's why you never burn a bridge.
Speaker 3: If you're a coach or a recruiter, you know, you see Vince Merrow, Vince you.
Speaker 2: Know, go out, go out and get guys.
Speaker 3: And you know always stays in contact with him. You're always constantly recruiting that. You know, the recruiting season never ends. It's it's round the clock. Now three are sixty five days a year, So you know, there's always a chance he could come back. But you know, wherever he goes, best of luck to him. But I don't know man for a Kentucky guy playing at the University of Kentucky. I don't see how it gets any better than that.
Speaker 1: So, now, what was your favorite Travis Perry moment of the season. I'll give you a couple. I think Trent Noah had a no look past to Perry in the corner who hit a big three at at one time. You know, he accidentally shaved off his mustache when he was trying to touch it up a little bit, and then he I think he had a pretty good game the next day. You know, probably not many moments, but what are you going to remember with TP in the Blue and White Show.
Speaker 3: I don't know that there's like one specific moment. I think, you know, just to see and in general of him, like we said earlier, you know, kind of being thrown into the spotlight and yeah, here you go, kid, let's see what you got. I think he I can't remember which games for me, it all runs together, but I think he had one game where he knocked down to two or three threes if I'm not mistaken. You know, I think he did a really good job given the circumstances. And you know, it's a guy that I hate to see him go. But you know, I also understand that he's got to do what he feels like.
Speaker 2: Is best for him.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's a favorite moment, but there was a time where he wasn't getting any calls, and I believe Mark Sears would go down and throw his head back and get every single call. And Jack Gibbons is on the radio saying, man, he's he's not old enough to get that call. You got to earn some respect in the SEC to get that guy, Shandon, I thought you were supposed to call the game the same way for everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree with that. I mean, come on, if it's a foul, it's a foul. It shouldn't matter what your age is or how long you've been in the league. And you see that you see some favorable calls. I think in the NBA, you know, with a guy like Lebron who gets some fair calls. But right you know, it should be if it's a foul, it's a foul. It doesn't matter who it is or what the name. When the back of the jersey says or the front of the jersey, it fouls a foul. But you know, in reality, some of these guys probably do get favorable calls just the way it is.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, absolutely, And I'm not going to act like the screaming at the referee for the entire game doesn't have an effect either, Shannon. I mean, after I get berated for thirty eight minutes, I might make a call against your team. That may jeopardize my integrity, Shannon, But I feel like that's just human nature. Yeah, and that's the beauty of sports. A lot of times, that's the beauty of baseball. And how beautiful was that baseball last night, Shannon, as the Cats beat Louisville seventeen to five and run ruled them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, beautiful for Kentucky, ugly for Louisville. Eleven walks, six hit batsman.
Speaker 1: Is that right? Eleven and six for walks and hit batters. That's crazy.
Speaker 3: I mean, how do we have six guys get hit by a pitch and not have some sort of brawl.
Speaker 1: You think, just on paper rivalry game that should start it.
Speaker 3: But I was watching a Major League baseball game the other night. Guy didn't even hit the person. He had two pitches that came in really close, but they threw the guy out.
Speaker 2: Didn't even hit the guy, what the pitcher They.
Speaker 1: Threw the pitcher out? Yes, I guess it was that second time. He was like, man, you're not doing that on purpose. But UK scores four runs in the second, four runs in the fourth, and seven in the fifth to win seventeen to five to beat the Louisville Cardinals. Get a little revenge when Louisville beat them at Jim Patterson Stadium earlier this year. Patrick Carrera, I mean, he was a double short of the cycle, and if that game would have went on a little bit further, he might have gotten it. Had a basis clearing triple also at home run, a big win for the Kentucky Batcats. You know what, do they say, it's hard not to be romantic about baseball, And I find myself romanticizing about baseball twice last night, Shannonck Can I tell you why?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I was listening to the radio call a little bit. Darren was with the old ball coach Keith Madison. And there's not another sport where you can be in the middle of the game and you can be talking about something completely different. And there are some great announcers throughout MLB history that are really good at this, but Shannon like the scores what you know, fifteen to four, and Darren and Keith are talking about like the nineteen forties and you know, like how many people use quarters and like a thing that you would wrap around your belt that you could have your quarters and dimes and pennies ready to go whenever you needed to use them. We're in the middle of a game and these guys are talking about that. But I absolutely love the storytelling aspect of a baseball broadcast, and it's just different from any other sport, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's slower.
Speaker 3: You got time to you know, talk in between pitches, and you see a lot of these guys. I don't know, does Darren do the call all by himself, because a lot of these guys that are baseball guys will just you know.
Speaker 1: A lot of road games you will buy himself. Yeah, yeah, they'll just have to pontificate by himself in a booth.
Speaker 3: But it's also like the only sport well, I guess golf could be like this a little bit, but you know, it's one of the few sports where you can have a lot of downtime on the radio and it'd be okay. Yeah, I know, it's one two pitch ball outside and you can just have a you know, ten to fifteen seconds of dead air and just let the abbance, you know, sort of fill the air waves. And it's totally fine to do that. As a matter of fact, you should do that if you're a play by play baseball guy.
Speaker 1: Well behind baseball here. The producers hate that because you think they may have went to break and called to go to break and you don't know, but they're actually just setting the scene a little bit. So you're right, it's like a two to one count. Let me get back into my story about the last time I saw a player hit the cycle, and it's timely because you're watching a player almost hit for this cycle. So I love that aspect about baseball. The other aspect that I felt myself loving about it yesterday just listening to the game, was that the baseball game can can end early if it's a blowout. Shannon, we need this more in sports. I mean, how about the NBA game where Okay see recently beat the Memphis Greasly by how many points? Fifty one fifty one points. I'm gonna argue that game should have ended at thirty five, j Jen, And you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: You think that there should have been like a towel that we could just throw out there on the court, like you know, throwing the we're done, just quit. I mean talk about making headlines.
Speaker 1: I don't want to subjective quit. I want a hard number that a team could get to where the game just ends.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what should that be? Then?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: You can't say thirty five or even around thirty because well you're probably not old enough to remember. But Kentucky was once down at LSU.
Speaker 1: Yeah, was how many was that?
Speaker 2: Thirty one?
Speaker 3: I think it was at halftime and came back and won the game. So you know, if you were to end that game, I mean it looked like the game was over at halftime.
Speaker 2: Then Kentucky comes back and wins.
Speaker 1: So the baseball rule is you have to be up ten by what is it, the sixth or seventh inning, and I guess if that is completed by then, then it can be an official game. There's some rules when it comes to rain out as well. How many innings have been played before you can count it an official game. I don't know, Shannon, I kind of just loved it that we didn't have to have the entire game of a beatdown. They realize the game's over, we can end it a little bit early. It's another thing that I don't think you see in any other sport. If you can correct me if I'm wrong, give us call eight five nine two eight oh two two eight seven Texas at five o two two six five six six five six. I want to talk a little bit more about the Kentucky men's basketball roster because some reports are coming out about what each kid is making in nil dollars.
Speaker 3: Shannon, Yeah, we believe it, though, Well that's the thing.
Speaker 2: We're pulling numbers out of thin air?
Speaker 3: Or is there like I need to see a contract or something that proves that before Well.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give you the numbers that are being reported. You tell me if you believe it or not. Shannon, No, and.
Speaker 2: There we go. We don't have to do the next segment.
Speaker 1: No, okay, Well we'll talk about that and I've got some other crazy stories we'll talk about. It is the show before the show, the ksrprehaw Yeah, all right, welcome back. It is the case R pre show. Shannon getting calls during the break Shannon. Yeah, people not know that you do seven radio shows.
Speaker 3: Don't call me between the hours of what seven and seven?
Speaker 1: At nine, seven and seven. Yeah, very very busy on the text line a couple things. Five h two two sixty five six six five six Kentucky was down thirty one points with fifteen forty five remaining at LSU.
Speaker 2: Isn't that insane?
Speaker 3: Like sometimes I have to go back and watch that on YouTube just to really convince myself that that happened. If you watch that back, it is unbelievable. Talk about an all time choke job.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It almost doesn't seem possible that a team could come back from thirty points with fifteen minutes to go in a game like Could that ever happen in today's world? That the Patino team just pressed and pressed and pressed and they were relentless. I don't know why more teams don't play like that.
Speaker 1: I mean a way a col team plays in the final fifteen minutes. I'm sure somebody could come back from thirty one points down. I'm sure a baseball team has come back from more than ten runs down as well, But they also have to cut off on ten runs in at least college in high school. Ending the game, one person also says Billy Kentucky is out of TP in the locker room. I will add to that, Shannon, do you think that they need a bidet in the UK locker room now that they're out of TP?
Speaker 2: Well, you're mister bidet.
Speaker 3: I mean you've had what six months I guess to use it. Yeah, what's your long term review? After six months of.
Speaker 1: Long term review?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: See, at first you're all excited about it, you know, like sitting on a geyser. You're happy about it, and now you say that you missed it. But think about all the money you save though, right, Yeah, it's yeah, the TP is not cheap.
Speaker 1: Oh no, you're right about that. I'm probably saving some money. But I really saved the money because I think we got the cheapest bidet you could get online.
Speaker 3: If you're going to order a bidet, that's something you want to get, like the Bentley of you don't want.
Speaker 2: To get your bedeta on a temu.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I get the Camri bidet here is shit and like it can run a long time, but the quality is it really there?
Speaker 2: Like an eighty eight Camray?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I mean till I die, but and the abuse have taken. I mean, it's just really it's it's cold water. I mean if I were to move into like the hot water and get like under the sink and do all that, I think it'd be real.
Speaker 2: You don't want to scald yourself?
Speaker 3: Is there no way to like you know, No, there's get a little little happy medium, like.
Speaker 1: On the tmubidey. I mean, I think they're settings on the nicer ones, but not this one. Shannon. We've got a couple of things. But tell me about DraftKings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Draft Kings Sports Book. It says here the NBA is finally back. I would argue the NBA has been back since October. I think I got the wrong copy today. But let me just improv and tell you that the playoffs are here. Playoffs. Yes, the playoffs are here, and you can bet on all the playoffs. Draft Kings Sportsbook Promo code ks are the official sports betting partner of the NBA, with live betting player props and so much more fast and easy payouts. If you're a new customer, you can bet on something simple like a team to win. You're throwing the promo code ks R sign up, you bet five dollars, You get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly. It doesn't matter if that first five dollars bet hits or not. You're gonna get two hundred dollars bonus bets only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours gambling problem called wanting to hund Gambler eighteen plus Kentucky only.
Speaker 2: Eligibuddy restrictions apply.
Speaker 3: Bonus bets expired one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. For additional terms were responsible gaming resources see DKNG dot co.
Speaker 2: Slash bball.
Speaker 1: All three home teams winning last night in the NBA, including the Lakers beating the Timberwolves to make their series one in one. Indiana leads the Bucks two to oh, and Thunder lead the Grizzlies two oh. We've got three more games tonight, including Magic Celtics, Heat Calves, and Warriors Rockets. Shannon, congrats to Georgia Amore. She threw out the first pitch at the Washington National Scams yesterday. Why don't you guess where she lined up to do her first pitch throw.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say she threw from the rubber from the mound.
Speaker 1: Incorrect in the grass in front of the mound. Okay, did not see if she made it to the plate. I only saw still photos. But as we had the conversation yesterday, Shannon, thanks, professional athletes should always go from the mound.
Speaker 3: Come on, you're a professional athlete and can't throw up baseball sixty feet athlete. No, I'm not saying she's She's an amazing athlete, but I am sort of baffled by you know, a professional athlete can't throw a ball sixty feet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know. I think it's just about more not wanting to embarrass yourself, right, dude, I mean, we know you're not gonna go out there embarrass yourself, but no, you get me out there throw him from the rubber. I mean, we may have a clip that stands the test of time instead of me going a few inches further. But I'll get the pre show out at the level bat I'd love to do. That's how the free Show started. We go way back. We'll take a break and be right back here on the case our pre show. Welcome back. It is the case our pre show, Billy and the Dude, and you should hear the dude during the break telling me if I ever joined him for a workout now, I wouldn't be able to keep up. You can't rag it about his class. Oh my gosh, my gosh.
Speaker 2: You forget about it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think if you came to work out with me, you last about five minutes and then you go probably spend the rest of the time in the sauna.
Speaker 1: You know, you just sit there and sweat. I probably would do that. It's been an extended period of time there.
Speaker 3: But but you know I was telling you hard on it. I'm now week thirteen. I've been going consistently since the beginning of the year.
Speaker 1: Well, look, as long as we can stop after every exercise so I can look at my phone for two and a half three minutes, I'll be fine. Telling me to go from exercise to exercise.
Speaker 2: Man, I go into the gym.
Speaker 3: I've got a buddy of mine that is an OVW wrestler who works out in the same gym as I do. He's there when I get there, he's there when I leave. He stays in the gym like three hours. I don't have three hours. I'm in it out in forty minutes.
Speaker 1: The gym rat.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: You know, probably me and Cash Daniel are probably doing different workouts as well. Oh yeah, as he gets ready for his OVW journey Friday, Friday night first match, right, that's right, maybe we can get him on before that. I just try to reach out to Cash see if we can make that happen, uh, Shannon. Before we get to the phones, I wanted to talk a little bit more about the Kentucky roster because I found it interesting when Matt asked everybody for a starting lineup yesterday, everybody had a little bit of a different starting lineup. Whether I think we all agree that Jalen Lowe is going to be the point guard, but who you've got at shooting guard, who you've got at small forward, who you've got at the four and the five all seem to be interchanging right now. Those roles I'm sure will define themselves as the off season goes along as we get closer to the regular season. But you know, if Otega comes back, Shannon, that's a good problem to have that it can be interchangeable at times, don't you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think if Oway comes back, he's definitely your two. There's no doubt about that, but I mean if you needed to shift him around a little bit, you could. I think they're going to be in good situation, in a good shape, and a good roster with Oway coming back, and with everything you've got so far. You've got a lot of talent, a lot of a lot of experience there as well, So I think they're ready to go come in November.
Speaker 1: I don't know what Aberdeen expects to do when it comes to minutes played, Like he's coming as the sixth man of Florida. Is he expecting to start? Is he going to do that six man role?
Speaker 2: Again?
Speaker 3: That was by Alston yesterday, like how you're going to leave the national championship team and be projected as a starter then go to Kentucky and sit on the bench. Not saying that's going to happen, but that's what makes me think there's a very good chance Aberdeen is a starter next year.
Speaker 1: And how does it look when Jaden Quayton's gets healthy. Mo dia Batte didn't come here to sit on the bench. That guy has got to be starting at the four I think. But you know, as good as yellowch like, you know, it's like that's this is gonna be a fun puzzle to solve over.
Speaker 3: The next few months. The one thing about it is that we've saw last year. You know, Pope's not like Cali Perry where he's going to play a guy thirty eight, thirty nine forty minutes a game. So there's going to be a balance where you're going to get guys who are gonna get they're gonna get minutes. Now how much, how many minutes, I don't know, but I think Pope does a better job of balancing the minutes throughout the roster than Calipari did, where he stuck to, you know, six guys and that was it.
Speaker 1: Now, in the few years of NIL, we've seen some really crazy numbers when it comes to players, you know, in what they're getting in order to play for a certain school. And while those numbers are still crazy, I want to ask you, Shannon, if you believe or not some of the reported numbers for Kentucky players and their NIL dollars making.
Speaker 2: I have not seen this, so I'm hearing this for the first time right now.
Speaker 1: Aaron Gershon of The Cat's Pause did some reporting and yesterday he revealed that otega Oway and Jaden Quainton's are combined at seven million dollars for their nil money.
Speaker 3: Split equally or it just says combined, so it's.
Speaker 1: Three and a half for each to reach I guess at or over seven million dollars for the two per year. Yes, modabate at two. Aberdeen is also at two. Remember we saw Goodman say UK is looking to be spending the most nil money in the country, even more than BYU Shannon. There are rumors that this roster could be upwards of twenty million dollars for nil No wait.
Speaker 3: Now, I thought it was ten million last week. Now we're saying twenty million.
Speaker 1: Now, I think twenty is probably the inflated number that we're trying to circle here. I think that is a ton Could it add up to twenty? I think it could if you got specific reporting about Guys Oway and JQ being at seven. Do you Boughtay at two and Aberdeen at two? That's eleven and that's only what four players, right, So is it that far fetch that this roster could be a twenty million dollars.
Speaker 3: I guess not if you're going by those numbers, and if those numbers are true. But again I have a hard time believing in until I see it, like you know, in front of me from somebody that's not just a quote unquote source.
Speaker 1: That's fair.
Speaker 3: But then again, I think about the people who are writing these articles and go, what motivation do they have just to make up numbers out of thin air? You know, like right, They're not just creating numbers in their head and going oh oh wait makes three and a half million without knowing that. But how how do they know? Have they seen contracts? Who's telling them?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know beat reporters are around it twenty four to seven. I mean that is that is their.
Speaker 3: Job understanding that are they in there signing the contracts with the players?
Speaker 1: I take it a look a little bit more I gets truth than I would maybe just the random guy saying that, you know, I guess you know, this is a popular time for insiders, right, and people saying I have information that you don't. This guy's going to transfer here and not there. But over the years, I feel like the reporting on the money has probably gotten better, not worse, even though it's you know, it is a time of oddness. But I don't know, Shan twenty million dollars seems like a lot. But when you hear specifics like that from somebody like Aaron Gershaan, then maybe you can get to that number.
Speaker 3: Do you think we get to the point to where there's salary caps like NIO caps on this.
Speaker 1: Yes, because you know, with the case settlement coming and then legislation being levied by Congress, hopefully then there will be a set amount of money that I think the schools can give players. So yeah, they'll have to budget it. But now a school could offer much more money in their budget than another school, right, so there'll always be a difference there. So I don't know, it's just it's just strange to put these things into perspective when these guys make life changing money for a lot of times to sit.
Speaker 2: On the bench.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wouldn't you go to college, get a free degree, get paid millions of dollars and not even have to play.
Speaker 1: That I can go and average seven points a game and then go sign a two million dollars nil contract and then be set.
Speaker 3: For life if I save it the right way, right man, If I were like you know, in middle school, I would be training my butt off right now to be really good in high school and go to a really good college and make some really good money.
Speaker 1: A little Shannon of the dude a blue running around. One of these days, you're going to force him to be a lefty and then he's going to be forced to play basketball and baseball to make that ni Oln money. I think we have to do that. Let's go to the phones.
Speaker 2: He's up first. It's going to John.
Speaker 1: Good morning John.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just.
Speaker 5: Florida kids.
Speaker 4: Came on the roster. I got worried that maybe one of the coaching staff or some of the coaching staff may have heard something that oh Way may not be coming back. Would you think that be to worry about.
Speaker 1: Or I don't think the addition of Aberdeen would signal anything to do with Oway. The fact that Oway I don't think officially entered the transfer portal means that he will either be in the NBA or would be back at Kentucky. So I think that's also another reassuring sign that Oway is isn't really looking elsewhere. Besides getting to some feedback from the NBA.
Speaker 4: That's great, great, thanks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't really seen always name on draft board. Of course I haven't seen the latest draft board, but the ones i've been looking at recently, I haven't even seen his name on there.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, And I don't you know when you can make this kind of money in college, Shannon? Why go right? Why don't be a day two pick or a second round question? I mean, and go to the G league.
Speaker 3: For those of you who are tired of like one and done's. I mean, this helps that, does it not? I mean unless you are, you know, an absolute lock for the lottery or.
Speaker 2: Maybe first round, why would you go?
Speaker 3: You know, if you're one of these players that's on the cusp, but maybe you know, maybe you go first round, maybe you go second round. But you're making you know, millions of dollars in college? Why would you not stick around for another year just to be sure? Go to college, play another season, make your two and a half three million dollars, whatever it may be. If you believe these numbers and then improve your stock, make yourself a first rounder, go back, and then make more millions of dollars.
Speaker 1: I guess I'll give you the one exception. You hate school, you hate going to.
Speaker 3: Class, and come on, do we really think these guys are going to class? Come on, man, you really think these doors they get? I mean, they made They made some, but these guys aren't like in there every day like every other Come on, you.
Speaker 1: Don't think they make their eight am after they hit the shot.
Speaker 2: No, it probably never has been like that.
Speaker 3: That's not a an il thing, you know, It's just the way I think it's always been. You know, like when I played baseball Bellerman, we we did have to go to school, we did have to go to class. We're a big time enough to but we did get some preferential treatment every now and then.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I remember in high school you got released early to go to a well, I was on the golf team. Sometimes you had to get released early to go to a golf event, and you thought you were the coolest kid around. So I'm sure you thought a little bit of the same when you were getting preferential treatment at Bellerman. John brought up the Florida transfer Denzel Aberdeen. Uh found out on a post on KSR that Denzel's father can't watch games live. Sounds like that, John Jones, Yeah, he will DVR it and watch it back later.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: At times, like when his son had a twenty point performance in the SEC tournament, people were texting him and he would find out what was happening. But he I guess he gets too nervous. Shanning can't watch it live?
Speaker 2: Hm, well, I.
Speaker 3: Guess you know, he and Matt could go into some random hotel lobby and watch it on TV, but that would be live, So.
Speaker 2: I guess that wouldn't work.
Speaker 3: Worse than that, not only could he not watch it in person live, he can't watch it on TV live.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, I got you know that.
Speaker 3: I would think that would be a proud moment if you got your son playing college ball and you can't watch him.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's even weirder for Matt to do it when he doesn't have his son involved compared to when your son is involved. I mean, I can understand if you are living with the ups and downs if your son's out there. But yeah, Matt's just doing a radio show about the game. I mean, like, why.
Speaker 3: Can't he watch Oh, you know it means a lot to him, But well, that's a completely other that's a completely different conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think I was gonna say, I think it's stranger to drive ten hours and then not watch the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then and then go to the lobby of that hotel.
Speaker 2: They have lobbies in Lexington.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you. Let's take another call. Then we'll take a break.
Speaker 3: There, all right, John Short, Hey Joe, Johnny, what's up, American?
Speaker 2: You're a great American. How about those Batcats last night? What a win?
Speaker 4: Yes, I had a seventeen wins.
Speaker 3: I was a seventeen that's right. I think you could have thrown better than those lobal pictures last night, Johnny. They couldn't throw it over the plate. They were they were walking our guys, they were hitting them in the head, they were all over the place.
Speaker 4: I know it's a good win. And we played softball last night too, just just baseball.
Speaker 1: Uh. You know, I'm not sure, John, I know they didn't have a good weekend series recently, so I'm not sure if they played last night, you're supposed to give us those scores though, if.
Speaker 4: I don't hear too much on television like the softball that much.
Speaker 3: Yes, you get to check your local listings, as they say, to see when when the games are and when they're playing.
Speaker 1: Uh, John, they played on and lost to South Carolina. So they played tonight against E k U in Richmond at six pm.
Speaker 3: Can we get John maybe one of those magnetic schedules to put on his refrigerator. That way he'll know exactly when they play and what station they'll be on.
Speaker 2: We need to get John one of those. If anybody's listening, what do.
Speaker 4: You think, John, that'd be good winning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: You can just you can just go right to your refrigerator and you know, get your plane plain Hamburger out that you out of the refrigerator and you can look and see what they play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's like you but Perry going to the transfer port. He'd have to come back.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think we all wanted to come back John, but he wanted to play a little more. And with all the talent on Kentucky's roster, I think he was gonna be hurting for playing time.
Speaker 3: And we still have another Kentucky player. We still have Sweet Mountain Angel Baby, Mountain Mamba, Trent Noah is still that's right. Yeah, So whis which name do you like better of John? For for Trent Noah? Do you like Mountain Mamba or Sweet Mountain Angel Baby?
Speaker 4: Doesn't matter which one?
Speaker 2: Are you gonna call him? Are you gonna call him Sweet Mountain Angel Baby?
Speaker 4: I wouldn't call him man, would I would call him Mount's.
Speaker 2: Gonna call it Trent. Noah, Okay, all right.
Speaker 4: It's right, and you just have a good easter, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah we did. John Hope about you, John, did you have.
Speaker 4: A good one? I did take a good papers? Say? Is that was two days ago?
Speaker 2: It was because of the two.
Speaker 4: Gonna take the University of Battle Lakes in Massachusetts.
Speaker 1: Oh, little history, lesson here, I'll of the day of the Boston Marathon. I think, John, that's right, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Johnny, good to here. You're a great American.
Speaker 4: Hey, thank you.
Speaker 3: Anytime you want to run a marathon, John will do it. Did you say they had like robots trying to run the marathon with.
Speaker 1: I saw a headline about this. I didn't read it.
Speaker 3: I don't think it went too well for the robots. So they're not quite ready to take over the world just yet. They can't keep up with humans in the Boston Marathon.
Speaker 1: Well, good good. I have been using AI more, Shannon. I asked AI the other day what it thought about ksr's Billy Rutledge.
Speaker 2: Look at you're so vain.
Speaker 1: It is not great that I wish I did not do it. Now what did it say, Well, I'm gonna have to do it again to pull it up because it's not on Deep Seek anymore. That's the Chinese version of the chat GPT. Okay, but they were like, if you're looking for in depth analysis, maybe look elsewhere. We don't know if Billy is polarizing with his hot takes and his loyal defense of Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Is that what it says? Yeah, that's what that was level defense of Kentucky. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It got it a little wrong, you know, but Shannon did get things many things right, as in being divisive and probably turn the podcast off. If you're looking for the in depth analysis of maybe somebody like Jack gibbonskill, well maybe we should do Shannon the dude during the break? What is you?
Speaker 3: Dude? You can do it if you want to. I'm not getting on that Chinese AI stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh please. We've already got our facial profile and everything mine. All right, we'll take a break. We'll be back here on the Case. I appreciate all right, welcome back. It's our final segment here on Wednesday edition of The Case, our pre show. We've got a couple of people online and I'm gonna go quick so we can get to some of them, but deep seek the Chinese version of chat GPT. I don't think they really know who Shannon the Dude is.
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Can I just read verbatim what it thinks Shannon the Dude?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm curious to see what AI I thinks I am.
Speaker 1: Shannon the Dude is a well known Louisville radio personality, most notably associated with hip hop and R and B stations in the area.
Speaker 2: Well, they got half of it, right, I guess I am in a noval. I'm on the radio.
Speaker 1: I don't play hip hop, though it's been active for years, possibly decades in the Louisville radio market, known for supporting Louisville and Southern rap artists, playing underground tracks, and hosting mixed shows. So I don't get invited to mixed shows either. Not just the Christmas party. Oh, let's see, it's cool. It's a cool nod to Louisville's hip hop history that Shannon is on Kentucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Shannon's role as a long time DJ makes him a cultural touchstone, similar to how DJ's like Big Boy LA or Greg Street Atl are revered in their cities we do.
Speaker 3: We need a little work on AI. Like, it's only about fifty percent, right. I just think that's what's gonna be taking your job one day that.
Speaker 1: Let it work out. The kinks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of kinks in there.
Speaker 1: But wow, the neutral icon for hip hop and R and B in the city of Louisville, Kentucky.
Speaker 3: Shannon, I think you could take, you know, like the music genre and flip that to rock roll and all of that would be completely accurate, you know, a rock and.
Speaker 2: Roll icon, legendary voice.
Speaker 3: All right, now we're getting okay, I almost got it right, except for the hip hop.
Speaker 1: Still now, now, now it sounds like they was very, very wrong. Let's go to the phones though, Shannon. He's up next.
Speaker 2: Laura Hey, Laura, Hey, what's up?
Speaker 5: Hey guys? How are you guys doing great?
Speaker 1: And great?
Speaker 5: So? I know that we've been talking a lot about Nico and the Tennessee situation. But have you seen the latest where Nico's brother Madden just entered the transfer portal at Arkansas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we just talked about that yesterday. I was I saw that and I was questioning whether or not that was true or not because he left UCLA right went to Arkansas. Now going back to UCLA to play quarterback. I guess behind his brother. I don't really understand the whole thing.
Speaker 5: Yes, as if we thought that this family could not get any now they're doing like a two for one deal. But the latest is is that Arkansas is now apparently threatening to sue him for breach of contract and for the Nile money. So I was just hoping to hear your thoughts on that.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks for the caller, Yes, thanks for Laurie.
Speaker 1: You're you are exactly right. The Arkansas A d came out and say that he supports the NIL Collective pursuing legal action against athletes that break any legally binding NIL contracts. So I think he is. I guess assuming that the I I'm Alieva kid at Arkansas did break a contract Shannon by leaving this is this could get ugly, don't you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think it already has.
Speaker 3: But what what kind of money do you think that he is getting paid by UCLA to come play back up quarterback to his brother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing. Nico probably might get a mill or two, but what is his brother gonna get? Maybe it was a package deal man.
Speaker 3: But if I'm a little brother and I'm not gonna bring dad or brother along, if I'm not, if I'm little and I'm not getting paid the same as what big brother is, and maybe he is, I don't know. I haven't seen the numbers. I don't know the contract situation on it. But what you want to go out and make a name for yourself somewhere you think, I mean, well, who's to say he could make more than Nico?
Speaker 1: But the logical reasoning with this family's gone out the window a long time ago. I mean, this has been a disaster. They're gonna make a lot less money than what they could have lacked next year. But I don't know. I don't think this is going to be much of a trend. This could be the outlier, and let's at least hope for that. Shannon tell me about draftings for.
Speaker 3: Yeah Promo code KSR for new customers bet five dollars, get two hundred dollars in bonus bets only on DraftKings.
Speaker 2: The Crown is yours.
Speaker 3: Promo code KSR if you have gambling problem one eight hundred gambler eighteen plus Kentucky only Eligibility restrictions apply. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue, as traditional terms were Responsible Gaming Resources ce dkng COO slash People.
Speaker 1: Matt Ryan and Drew Our next on KSR Live from KS Bar and Grill. Tomorrow's the NFL Draft, so looking forward to talking a little bit about that. For Billy Rutledge in Louisville, urban radio host Shannon the Dude, this has been the case, Apprecia