Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Day Bake your podcast. Good morning, It's Friday, the seventh of August. I'm Caroline, Hepkitt in London and I'm Stephen.
Speaker 3: Carol and Brussels. Coming up today. European gas prices surge as uncertainty over the Straight of hor moves, fuels fheres over depleted storage.
Speaker 2: Open Ai cooks up a donut shape to AI gadget as it prepares to enter the device market.
Speaker 3: Plus driving into trouble. Why plans for a remote Scottish golf course face growing opposition from environmentalists.
Speaker 4: Let's start with the roundoff of our top stories.
Speaker 3: European natural gas prices are jumping as renewed tensions around the Strait of Horn moves add to concerns over winter supplies. Benchmark Future surged by as much as ten percent across two sessions, with prices now around double their January levels. Brent crude also rose above eighty three dollars a barrel, to gaining almost four percent in the previous session. The moves followed reports around struck hostile targets at the entrance to the Strait and are seeking to bar Us and Israeli ships from the waterway. Richard Has, President Emeritus of the Council on FIM Relations, says Iran is in a strong position that the goal.
Speaker 5: Is to get the Street of Horn moves open, which it should be. The idea that Iran would have a larger rule now that I think is inevitable. Wars of consequences will have to let them sell some oil as long as most of the other sanctions stay in place. I think that's probably as good as we can expect at this point.
Speaker 3: Richard Has, speaking on Bloomberg's Balance of Power. The war has already cut off around a fifth of global LNG, making it harder for Europe to replenish inventories that recently hit their lowest seasonal level since two thousand and nine.
Speaker 2: Extreme heats has killed more than twenty five thousand people across Europe this year, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Germany recorded the highest toll, with an estimated eleven nine hundred excess death link to heat since April. Here In the UK, Health Secretary Evett Cooper says thousands of excess deaths occurred over May and June.
Speaker 1: The NHS now has to work to prepare for summer pressures in the way that we have long had to do for winter pressures. That means trusts having to have plans in place to deal with higher levels of demand people coming through the door.
Speaker 4: Maybe because of the heat wave.
Speaker 2: That Cooper was speaking as heat waves across Europe have shattered records and dented economic output. The heat is also set to build again next week, with temperatures forecasts to reach thirty four degrees in London and thirty eight degrees in Paris.
Speaker 3: The United States is said to have blindsided the European Central Bank by selling euros as part of last week's intervention to prop up the EN. The Finacal Times reports that the ECB officials and Frankfurt were only informed after the trade, with some senior figures viewing the move as an unprecedented breach of longstanding conventions. The EN has since the nearly half of its intervention driven gains. Bloomberg David Finitshy says traders have no consensus on where the currency goes from here.
Speaker 6: The fact that dollian is back about one pin fifty eight, it just says a lot to the fundamentals. You can say it shouldn't be there, the market is going, but it is. It is there because we think it should be there. So I think whatever tools they use and rhetoric obviously is not enough for a question whether interventions even enough. The reality is that the market is so big and deep you are fighting this wave of basically sentiments saying we do think it's can be higher, but we're very wary that you're going to try and push it lower.
Speaker 3: Enterity points to US jobs data later today is the next big test for the currency pair. There we need slide raises the prospect of further intervention, with both US and Japanese officials warning this week they are prepared to act again if needed.
Speaker 2: The UK government has declined to rule out increasing bank taxes in its upcoming budget. Bumper profits among lenders are sparking speculation that the new administration we'll target the financial industry. Here is Bloomberg's James Wilcock with more.
Speaker 7: Andy Burnham hasn't shied away from talking tax since becoming Prime Minister a few weeks ago. He's announced cuts to v eight or energy bills, reductions in business rates, and he's ruled out change is to stamp duty in the coming October budget. So when Bloomberg asked his treasury if they would rule out a bank tax, their refusal to comment marks a contrast. It's one that says he has noticed his Barkley ceocs Ben Katha Krishnan.
Speaker 8: We are indeed broad shoulders, not just in the size of our businesses, but in the capabilities which we offer. The question is how do you use it the right way. Every pound of capital that they keep in the banking system will be multiplied by eight or ten in terms of the lending which we can do. So the right thing to do is to continue to increase the capital in the banking system, not seek to remove it, and then to get us to lend, which is what we want to do anyway.
Speaker 7: The UK banking boss was speaking to Blue last week, where he announced more than two billion pounds in quarterly profits. Together, the biggest UK banks have netted thirty billions so far this year. Already their CEOs are starting to talk about not making them a target. In London.
Speaker 4: James Wilcock Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: Radio Meta has been ordered to pay five hundred and sixty seven million dollars to the US state of New Mexico and make changes to protect underage users. After losing a landmark court case, The judge likened the social media giant to a polluting factory and ordered measures including time limits and a halt to night time push notifications for miners. Meta plans to appeal, with its total exposure in the New Mexico case now at more than nine hundred million dollars. The ruling could also clear the way for other states and school districts to argue that social media addiction is a public nuisance contributing to a broader mental health crisis.
Speaker 2: Open AI's first consumer device will have a unique look, and the new product is expected to be released into a twenty seven bluebog Cima and a bio has More.
Speaker 9: Open AI's newest offering will look like a doughnut and likely costs more than three hundred dollars. Bloomberg understands the device will be a smart speaker without a display, featuring microphones and lights to demonstrate when it's listening. It's thought the unusual design will help the product stand out from other smart speakers, a category currently dominated by Amazon and Google. Users are expected to rely on the new hardware throughout the day, and it will function similarly to the company's Chat GPT voice mode on smartphone apps.
Speaker 4: The speaker is seen as.
Speaker 9: A way to ease into the market for open Ai, who eventually plans to offer a family of devices in London to you, added Bio Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: FIFA is looking to keep lucrative World Cup water breaks as part of its next media deal. Bloomberg understands football's governing body is exploring selling US media rides for the next two tournaments, maintaining the controversial hydration breaks, which had boosted AD revenue. Sources tell us that negotiations are still in the very early stages, but the tournament organizers also interested in bundling rights for English and Spanish broadcast together. The news comes as FIFA faces turmoil over President Gianni and Fantinos now canceled plans to raise money from commercial investors. FIFA has declined to comment on the reports.
Speaker 2: Those are our top stories then for you today, let's look at the markets, so a little bit edgy. All markets are heading hard brink crude features up by one and a half percent, lack of clarity on a whole Moo's reopening deal, fueling that the cost is also heading for a seventh weekly drop. The cosp is now down by half of one percent, bonds falling with inflation concerns. We've got the US job support to come today, eighty thousand jobs expected to have been created in July. US and European stock futures are a bit mixed. European USOX fifty futures are down by almost two tenths of one percent. One earnings report out of Note Alian's second quarter operating profit comes in as a B four point eighty seven billion euros.
Speaker 4: So those are the markets.
Speaker 3: In a moment, we'll bring you the latest on what's driving oil and gas prices higher, plus how golfers are being pitted against sand dunes in a planning fight in Scotland. But first, another story that's caught our eye this morning, and what this summer's wildfires in Europe mean for wine producers and drinkers. Bloomberg Companions Howard twy one has been writing about this and looking at past experiences. So the last comparable fire in Bordeaux was in nineteen forty nine. That's not a good guide. More recent wildfires in Australia and in twenty nineteen in California and twenty twenty were described by Howard's Wine Affiicionado friends as like drinking barbecue. So the effect, Howard says, means that the wine tastes more like charcoal than tobacco and has a lingering, ashy aftertaste. There are ways that wine producers have worked to try and filter the wine, but that can affect the collar. For example, now we still don't know what exactly this wine season is going to look like. In Bordeaux. The length of the wildfires has been shorter than some of those other examples that I just gave, and they have no technology to be able to test the grapes to see how they've been affected. For what it's worth, the Bordeaux Wine Produce Association has said that the grapes so far have seen no impact from the fires. But this could be huge for what is such an important wine producing region.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I mean the taste of wine is affected by far, absolutely horrible. But on the other hand, as you say how much the wildfires will have affected you know, wine producers, we're not yet sure. Look, maybe even and I mean for any wine doing This is probably heresy, but I'll say, look, maybe it doesn't matter because France is moving towards what California and Cape down Where do you do, which is tourism without necessarily the wine tasting. Having said that, obviously Bordeaux exports, you know, huge amount of its wine abroad, and so do many regions in France. So yeah, it's really difficult.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: Also, Howard writes so beautifully. He really gets across the love of wine, even if he isn't drinking himself, and so the kind of desperation, the sadness of, you know, a year that might be ruined by these terrible events.
Speaker 3: I mean, Howard's some man going to a wine tasted evening with friends, even though it doesn't actually drink the wine to begin with. It's a really great piece. As always, you recommend that you read it. You'll find it a linked in our podcast show Notes or at Bloomberg dot Com Forward Slash Opinion. Well, let's turn back to our top story this morning, and that jump in European natural gas prices, oil prices rising as well after a report that Iran attacked targets in the Strait of Horror moves. This after several days where we had seen energy prices falling on hopes of a deal to restart shipping through the waterway. Our oil and shipping reporter Whale and soon joins us now for more, well in what first of all, do we know about these attacks in the Strait.
Speaker 10: So far, we have not had any form of external confirmation on what Iran has seen. They have a very central out the war suggested that they have attack ships only for those who be disproven. But for now things are silent on this sprint. But definitely the news of this strikes, even as the war is waiting for a peace deal, is really shaking a lot of people's nerves and that's why we are seeing prices rising.
Speaker 4: Yeah, also the local media a pause.
Speaker 2: I'm talking a bit about the deal between Iran and Oman to reopen the strait that essentially it would try to bar us and it's really shit from using that waterway.
Speaker 4: Is that a realistic plan?
Speaker 10: It remains to be seen how how Iran really wants to execute on this thread right, because just to be sure, throughout this whole war, they have repeatedly said that they don't want American it's relationships inside the waterway. So this just follows on from that threat, and of course now it's framed around this issue of having tools. But this issue of nationalities being added to this profile of the vessel is really complicated because you have the flex which ships are registered too, and then you have several other ways of looking at ownership or associations, which is true, maybe the stakes on investments that companies have in shipping companies, or even the crew, or even whether the company is listed in the US. So if you go by that logic, there's a lot of different ways that possibly Iran can carry out on this threat.
Speaker 3: Now we're watching the price reaction to these latest headlines, particularly in European natural gas prices at a time when reserves for this time of year are they're lowest since two thousand and nine. Are the price rises likely to cause significant disruption?
Speaker 10: I think it's getting more and more urgent for the Europeans because it's normally restocked during summer when natural gas prices are low, but because of the Iran war, those have stayed high and traders have actually held off on buying, on restocking. And then now we don't see this situation ending anytime soon. So it just becomes more and more urgent for Europe to restock those guests inventories, and at the same time they're also fighting with Asian bias for a very very limited pool of lerg guess so all in all, it's it's not looking good and I think sooner or later Europe will have to buy the PULA and start stocking up those inventories again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, interesting whale and thank you so much for being with us. Are all again shipping reporter whyland Son, thank you stay with us.
Speaker 4: More from Bloomberg Day Bakeuobe coming up after this.
Speaker 3: Now to Scotland, were years long saga pitting environmentalist against plans for a remote golf course targeting rich Americans is coming to a head. A decision on the project and cool Links north of Inverness is expected in the coming weeks. Our reporter Laura Avatasi and joins us now for more on this story. Laura, first of all, tell us a bit more about this project. What's the proposal?
Speaker 11: At the heart of this year's long stude is essentially a debate whether a golf course should go ahead and be built in the Scottish Islands.
Speaker 3: So just to give you some context.
Speaker 11: This is a land that has a strip of sand dunes and is site of special scientific significance, and for ten years various groups have been trying to put forward and get over the line this proposal to get a golf course there. But there is a very strong campaign environmentalist campaign against it, as you would understand, because the site is of scientific significance. So this is the conflict that the Scottish ministers have to find a way to make a decision on.
Speaker 2: So tell us a bit more about who is objecting to it and why.
Speaker 11: So up in Scotland there's a group called not Cool who are objecting the golf course proposal. Their main argument is obviously the environmental argument. The habitat over there is very diverse. There are species like the Baltic rush, which is quite rare in all of the UK, actually just found in one other place in northern England. And the other argument is that they don't believe it's going to bring the economic benefits that the proposal promises. In terms of the local population, it's quite mixed. The land sits next to another town called door Knock, where there already is a championship level golf course, and people in door Knock are quite mixed about this project because they've seen the impact of tourism and you know, all the rest of it. But in Ambo, which is the most immediate village next to the side, people would quite like a project like this because frankly, there isn't much there in terms of economic life, so it would breathe some life into the area and also hopefully solve the depopulation issue that's quite alive up there.
Speaker 3: This beautiful picture is accompanying this piece as well of the dramatic windswept landscape and the kind of atmospheric moodiness of the mountains and the myths there as well. But this is something that is coming now to the Scottish government to make a decision on in the coming weeks. What are the politics around us.
Speaker 11: That's what makes the story very interesting because this is not a new topic for the Scottish government. Just about two decades ago there was a similar proposal down in Aberdeen and it was project by a company called Trump International Donald Trump Company, and it was also a side of special scientific significance and the Scottish government's own advisors were against this project based on environmental grounds However, the ministers approved it for the economic benefit and what happened later on is that the project did not bring the economic benefits it promised the jobs and the infrastructure, but it also stripped the lands of scientific significance. So the Scottish government has to understand what they prioritize this time round. And what's changed in the Scottish Parliament after the recent parliamentary elections is that the Scottish Green Party has a much more significant presence and they might have more of a say over the final decision.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to Bloomberg Daybreak Europe.
Speaker 2: If you're enjoying the podcast, give us a follow, leave a rating, all review, and maybe send it to that one friend all colleague who's always trying to keep up with the news.
Speaker 3: And if one podcast today isn't enough for you, you can also listen to us live every weekday from six am in London on DAB Radio, on tune In and on the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 2: Oh if you've got a smart speaker nearby, just say play Bloomberg Radio