Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal ll that for me.
Speaker 2: I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 1: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 2: You want to be happy for a day at the State?
Speaker 1: Is that? Whoo?
Speaker 3: Whoo?
Speaker 2: And then and tie.
Speaker 1: Dan Rubinstein are set up for? Week three? Was splunker Saturday?
Speaker 2: Yes, it was? Can confirm.
Speaker 1: I e down here in the caves, flipping on the headlamps searching for the gems within week three, searching for the Alabama offensive line. Where could they be? Yeah, in reality, we got down here and like the entrance collapsed behind us and the only way out was through. It was a survive and advance Saturday if I've ever seen one. It was sloppy, it was messy. There are many offenses that we need to try and find while we've still got battery in these here headlamps, Dan Rubinstein. But we three is just about complete. There are a couple of games going on as we come on the air live midnight Saturday. How are you good, sir? What was your reaction to week three from AFAR?
Speaker 2: First of all, I was under the impression that this was a Golden Bachelor preview show. That's what I studied because that's what I was faced with in watching Week three commercials. Okay, so this this was a terrific week. This was a terrific week because it fortified certain things, it upended certain things, and games we thought were foregone conclusions.
Speaker 1: I e.
Speaker 2: Games that you threw into your what Crispy Crimson parlay Man were full on.
Speaker 1: Res I took that Alabama game on the chin Man. We'll talk about that.
Speaker 2: There are certain teams that I feel comfortable with in mid September, and we'll get there that I think we can what is the seth Sharpie, Davis Sharpie. They might be bad bad, use our boomer voice bad bad. There are certain teams or even certain elements of teams or certain units on teams. They're like, I don't think this is getting solved by Thanksgiving. No. So I loved this week and I cannot wait to deep dive into that cave ty.
Speaker 1: If you are listening live, please make sure you hit subscribe on the YouTube channel. Please make sure you're also subscribe and follow the podcast if you already do so, we'd encourage you to go out there and leave a five star rating and review. All that stuff helps bring please people into the verbowler hood. Let's start with some of our headliners, please. I think the game of the day was the Miszoo game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that was on the early slate. I think that's right considering how it ended. Sure, I think the game of the day was the Zoo game. Is he wins thirty to twenty seven. When Harrison Nevis drills an SEC record sixty one yard field goal at the gun, he had room to spare with a yellow shirt thrown on the field.
Speaker 1: I made it kind of confusing there at the end, but yes, we got there. We got there. They thought it was a flag. It wasn't a flag. Boy was pumped up and just drilled it. What a kick. The fans rushed the field. Genuinely a fun game, probably the best of the early slad, probably the best of the day. A very physical game by the end. Both quarterbacks were limping around after this one. But my takeaway from this game, outside of the fact that Maszoo played hard, that like we both like Missouri. In this game. I teetered on the brink of calling them outright victors beforehand because I just liked their chances going into this one. I knew that they'd be amped up for it. Beyond that, K State shot itself in the foot. Yeah, like many times, many times they struggled on third downs, they had a bunch of penalties, they couldn't run it at all in the second half, and they had dropped pat you name it. Whatever could go wrong did go wrong for Case States. So if you're a k State fan, you probably come out of this game feeling like, all right, a couple things go right, a couple things go in a better direction, maybe we win this one. Because they had chances, especially down the stretch. It was just Missouri getting the better of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm just going to start with the most fun element of this game, other than the absolute boot at the end from Harris and Mevish Luther Burden.
Speaker 1: Absolute friggin' dude.
Speaker 2: You know, comes in as one of the best recruits ever from missoo, a five star receiver. I think relatively local. I think in the St. Louis area. Don't quote me, hopefully I'm not correct or not incorrect there, but the amount of fields that he can gobble up that quickly. We we're like, oh, I think Kansas State has an angle. Nope, they don't. They don't and so what he the dynamic that he gives a Miszoo offense that so sorely needed it heading into this season, just like a stud gravitational player that is Luther Burden, and you know that that sort of tide raises all ships. Brady Cook has probably the game of his life, which also enjoyed Eli drink Witz after the game, like.
Speaker 1: I am still just a little bit peeved.
Speaker 2: Because they was getting some slack. Brady Cook was from the home crowd and Brady Cook said something at the end there, So it was it was a cool story to see. I'm sure if you're a Maszoo fan to see those kind of fireworks with that kind of attention on the program, that kind of opponent, the reigning Big twelve champion, I mean, doesn't get cooler than that if you're a Miszoo fan. And as for Kansas State, it was just it was kind of one thing after the other, right that, like they were able to count on Douce Fond to such a crazy extent last year to bail them out of potential situations like they faced themselves or that they themselves faced against Maszoo. And whether the offensive line a beat up offensive line looking sort of out of sorts at times, a secondary that looked out of sorts at times. This was a survival game, and Miszoo at home they were the team, man, they just were survive in advance. I think truly was the story of the day. You mentioned the Boo Birds for Brady Cook three point fifty six passing in two touchdowns, not a bad day. And Luther Burden. Luther Burden had more yards in three games, has war yards in three games this season than he did all of last year. Yeah, so I can't believe we're leading off correctly. So at like a week three show with like, how about that Missoo offense? We have to talk about that ahead of everything else, I mean, not incorrect.
Speaker 1: Missoo's three and oho, they've got Vandy or they've got Memphis and then Vandy on deck. Two very winnable games barring upset their five. And oh when LSU comes to town first weekend of October, which would be a big.
Speaker 2: Game now and a week ago, Miszoo fans were like, blow this whole thing up, Middle Tennessee, blow this all up. We're done so so yeah, pretty cool to say.
Speaker 1: Elsewhere Florida twenty nine Tennessee sixteen. This was one of the night games. It was one of the big dogs on our preview episode that we did on Wednesday, and Florida jumped out to a lead never really relinquished it twenty six to seven. They played solid defense, ended up winning twenty nine to sixteen. I think it's fair to wonder at this point what the future looks like for both of these teams. The rest of the way, You know, we can go into detail as for what happened here, But I found myself as I was jotting down notes, drifting to the what ifs, what if? What if what we saw from Florida, especially in the ground in this game. What if what we saw out of Graham Mertz in this game, which was not pinball statistics, but was very solid and kind of composed and within the framework of the system, Like what if these things project forward and it wasn't just a flash against Tennessee. And on the Tennessee side, what if? What if their lack of pop that I think we unfortunately saw out wide this evening is something that is more of a feature than a bug.
Speaker 2: Wow, I think it's more of a bug in this team than it was a feature, and we had come into the season thinking it was going to be a feature. Yeah, there was just there's something about Joe Milton. Even though he made plays, he'd never really seemed in rhythm. You had the turnovers, you had the sort of what I think, I guess this isn't fair to say, but I thought it was sort of uncharacteristic. Though he hasn't started a full successful season for anybody, be at Michigan or Tennessee, and so he's still finding his way. I'm sure the coaching staff is still finding their way in a Hendon Hooker list at Jalen Hyatt Liss Universe for the balls. But to me, the story was we came into the season expecting more from this Tennessee defense, and that first half look Graham Mertz wasn't incredible, but he was fine. And if Florida fans are told that Graham Ertz will be fine the rest of the year, you'll take that one hundred times. You'll be thrilled. Story is Trevor e Tm. The story is the offensive line just busting open lanes for the rushing attack, the big runs. It was a Montreal Johnson had a couple touchdowns, I believe as well. And so it was creativity for an offense that needs it because the receiving firepower doesn't seem like it's always going to be there, and certainly Graham Mertz is somebody who is going to lead this team down the field consistently. That's not going to be there this year. So you see a lot of the motion, You see the lanes being opened up in the rushing game. And look, this is also just what the universe demands of college football. Tennessee losing in Gainesville, that's just what we've gotten used to as college football fans. So I don't think this means anything dramatic for Tennessee moving forward. You know what your homework is. And for Florida, it's encouraging, especially with the recruiting class coming in that this team played with a ton of fight figurably and literally at the end of the game with the kneel down stuff and the fight and boxing, and so there was a lot of emotions were running high there. Tye, oh yeah, players getting chippy. It was. It was a very strangely officiated game at the end. There, So a cool story for Florida because I know, it would have been easy to write off the Gators after their Salt Lake City visit, but at the very least, it seems like they're going to play with some fire the rest of the year, which you're going to have two to three gram Arts games where you're like, what are we even doing? But maybe you pull one of them out because of the rest of the offense and the ability for that defense to step up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I thought he looked fine, all things considered. I thought he looked fine despite the fact that there are a few rough patches and you're early going here. He was very composed in this. Yeah, and there himself. Their ability to move the ball on the ground against Tennessee was really encouraging. I was really encouraging because Tennessee may recall, and we've talked about it all off season. Tennessee was a really good rush defense last year and one of the questions we had was, well, what's the secondary going to look like? And they get that piece of it solved. Well, Florida ran on them, And if Florida can run on other teams in the SEC, then I don't know. I think it's interesting. It's a different narrative than maybe what we thought after that Utah game where they kind of got pushed around and they didn't look good outside of like the first two series. So this is encouraging if you're a Florida fan. I don't know if you caught the discussion that they had on the broadcast, by the way, then we'll move on. We'll talk about Alabama next.
Speaker 2: I didn't This was in the four wide and I didn't have audio on.
Speaker 1: They were talking. I'm not gonna say a nauseum, but they spent a few minutes of the broadcast talking about how you know, Graham Mertz got number fifteen. You know who else was number fifty right here?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the collective eye roll, yeah across the forballerhood, I'm sure was plentiful.
Speaker 2: Anyway, number fifteen, by the way, and good for Florida. Florida ran last year. Good for that. We expected them to be able to run this year and for them to step up in a big game because Florida is always going to be measured against Georgia, against Tennessee, against Florida State, and so that's a checked box.
Speaker 1: We knew, we knew they wanted to run. We didn't know if they could, and we did. They did absolutely twenty nine to sixteen. Your final, Florida gets a really big home win. Good for them. Alabama seventeen, ma'am usf three? Oh no, oh, this one hurts. This one hurts. I had Alabama minus nineteen and a half in the first half as my lock of the week. I also had Alabama minus was it thirty two? Thirty two and a half combined with over forty eight total points in the aforementioned Crispy Crimson parlay.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I made those bets after I heard about Tyler Buckner, or before I heard about Tyler Buckner. And I answered a few folks out on Twitter who messaged me saying, you still feel the same way about that bet, And I said, you know what, are gonna run all over usaf right, They're gonna run all over him. Tyler Buckner is gonna rush for one hundred yards. He'll be fine, They'll be fine. The game that you want to worry about is next week against Old miss That's the one that you want to.
Speaker 2: Dan hold on, man, jump in here, please please provide something go because I know you have a lot of emotion here.
Speaker 1: I meant much emotion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, punt, punt, punt, fumble, field goal, punt, downs, punt, downs, punt, fumble, field goal, punt, end of half downs, punt, punt, touchdown, downs, punt, punt, punt, and sap shot touchdown, and.
Speaker 1: Of good Dan, what the hell was this game? I should have known better, I should I should have canceled my bets. Oh, I should have canceled my bets when I heard about the Bucker thing. Okay, that's I should have Okay, first red flag. It was raining so damn hard in this game in the first half that ESPN first off, there was like a lightning delay, so they were delayed for like an hour or whatever it was.
Speaker 2: With only the wide camera of a It was raining.
Speaker 1: So hard that they had to evacuate the sideline camera guys and just start using a static camera like it was a high school game. And there was somebody pulling switches, just doing like a hard cut in between one and the others, so you can see the whole field for I don't know, like half the game.
Speaker 2: So there was that.
Speaker 1: The story though, is Bama's quarterback situation. Tyler Buckner gets to start. He was not good. He was five or fourteen. He was skipping passes on wide receiver screens. He didn't look comfortable. He I was Tyler Buckner's biggest fan coming out of high school. I'm not rooting against the kid. Everyone likes the kid. So I feel bad saying it, but I kind of saw this coming.
Speaker 2: Maybe not quite to this extent. When you depend on multiple ties exactly get you to a good place to college, don't do that, ever, Yeah, don't do that ever.
Speaker 1: So Tyler Buckner was in and then he was out, and they brought ty Simpson in, who came in and he was five of nine. He was a little better. He played the rest of the way.
Speaker 2: Notably no Jalen Milroe. There's gotta be more to this story, Yeah, there has. It seems like there was because the story came out. If there was an injury, if there was a suspension, if there was an argument, if there was a you know what, We're just giving you the week off to get as many reps against what we think is going to be not that much of a challenge in the Bulls. There there's gotta be something. There's gotta be three all man just to this game.
Speaker 1: Gotta be another reason why we even see Jalen Milroe, because I get it what you saw against Texas maybe wasn't all that satisfying you through two picks directly to Texas defenders. But Jalen Molroe is better than two guys you saw out there today.
Speaker 2: RG three was sort of planting that flag during the broadcast. He was like, why this is the clear order of quarterbacks on this team? Why aren't we seeing the starter? And Jala Molroe did make throws, incredible throws that Tyler Buckner and ty Simpson are nowhere near being able to make, judging by what they were were not able to do in a very soggy matchup against USF.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the deal is there. Somebody's going to ask that question and try to get to the bottom of it, I'm sure, but Jala Milroe is better than both those guys, and he didn't play at all. I felt like I was watching last year's version of the Notre Dame offense, where they were scheming around Drew Pine and just trying to do things that wouldn't get them into trouble on the offensive side of the ball because they couldn't count in the quarterback situation. Now, eventually they were able to run it with Roydl Williams, and you know, we saw some of Jase McClellan as well. But usfter their credit, did a really good job with their defensive line. Like they were getting pressure, they were finding ways to push back against a Bama offense. I very clearly wanted to control the game on the ground. They didn't allow them to do that until it got a little bit later on, and at that point it was kind of a foregone conclusion. But seventeen to three, this is not a good good showing for an Alabama offense that came in with questions and I think left with more.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, look, Rydell Williams was the back who flashed in this game. And credit us f by the way, because they smelled blood in the water. They saw this Alabama offensive line not protecting skittish quarterbacks and they just were constantly We just in the house, see should we constantly and see if they Nope, they can't. They're still not figuring out an answer. Okay, keep again like the Herb Brooks like a miracle again and it for a long time, it worked and Bama has a lot of questions about this offensive line. Obviously a lot of questions about quarterback and not being able to, uh to find somebody a successor for Bryce Young And I think it was Drake may who decommitted way back in the day, but he wasn't gonna sit two years, So I don't there's a story to be written about how Alabama has gotten to this point at quarterback. I know Tys Simpson, I think was a five star that Alabama beat out for Clemson. This might be a conversation for another day, but it is wild that we're here talking about Alabama, that they should never have an offensive line that looks like this, they should never have a quarterback situation like this specifically, and that it's a saggy USF matchup that brings that all to light.
Speaker 3: Wolf.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Wolf is Wolf is right. I was. I was messaging you like, can they fire Tommy Reese and the tarmac?
Speaker 2: What are they gonna do? What are they gonna bring that sort of squeak to the text. But yeah, it's it's tough, man.
Speaker 1: I took that one on the chin, that one hurt, that one hurt the pocketbook. I'm not gonna lie. Uh. Florida State thirty one on Boston College twenty nine. This is another weird game, and Boston College could have won this game. I don't think in earnest USF could have beaten BEMA, not the way that that game went down the stretch. But Boston College should have won. They should have won. They were down thirty one to ten at one point in the third quarter. They came all the way back for them. It was the quarterback. It was their quarterback, Thomas Castillanos, who had four hundred yards of total offense. They just made too many mistakes as a team. They committed a program record. Get this. Eighteen penalties eighteen eighteen were right there, one eight one eight for one hundred and thirty one yards, and the big one was a face mask. Right at the end. They had Florida State stopped on third and whatever they pull on the face mask, they give Florida State an automatic first down. They would have gotten the ball back inside two minutes with all the moment. They had so much moment him at that point, it was loud there and it seemed as if they had they had the emotion on their side. And that last that eighteenth penalty, which set a program record, was just a backbreaker. Florida State, for their part, felt like they were in control second quarter of this game, but then just sort of gave it all back and Jeordan Travis got hurt. Jordan Travis wobbly angle but comes back yep, yep. It was scary, scary moment, felt kind of awkwardly on his shoulder and it looked like it was sort of jammed and that was an angle, okay, And that was the point in the game. It was pretty close too, you know, So I think I think the bigger point here is that BC had some serious juice in this game. We had talked about it going into week three that there was potentially a look ahead spot here for Florida State with Clemson on deck and going to going to Boston College Chestnut Hill, like just I don't know, weird energy. The points spread was kind of bubbling, and Boblin just felt like there was more here than met the eye, and it apparently was Florida State wins by two.
Speaker 2: Florisa wins by two, favored by what a couple dozen what was the twenty.
Speaker 1: Four and a half, twenty sixth, so we're in that range.
Speaker 2: Nice connection between Jordan Travis and Johnny Wilson, who would have sort of been off I would say the first couple weeks of the season. So that's nice, a little bit concerning, And Florida A was able to run a chunk of this game, but also they weren't galloping. It wasn't Trey Benson for fifty two here, you know, so that might be a little bit concerning. But the thing, the important thing you have to remember with Boston College is they're exactly as good as all of their opponents. Apparently, they're exactly as good as Northern Illinois to whom they lose in overtime. They're exactly as good as Holy Cross, who they barely beat, and they're exactly as good as Florida State, who they barely lose two. So maybe it'll be a super entertaining year for Boston. This is in Nebraska from last year, their net net exactly competitive with everybody. Yeah, so survive in advance for Florida State. And they have Clemson this coming week, do they not?
Speaker 1: They have Clemson this coming week. Week four is setting up to be a banger. Yes, I hope you got your family duties in this week, because this is this is going to be a banger the next two weeks.
Speaker 2: Arguably, arguably I did. Yeah, Okay, where are we going next?
Speaker 1: Why don't we round out the sec because we're a couple of games here that were of interest to me. The two that obviously bubbled to the surface are Georgia South Carolina and Lsussissippi State. So Georgia one by ten over South Carolina, but trailed fourteen to three at half. After half, they shut down Spencer Ratler.
Speaker 2: Did you look at the live line by the way at the half, was it anything tasty?
Speaker 1: I didn't. I didn't. I was done with live lines after the Bama game.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was so excited.
Speaker 1: I was. I lost four units on the band liveline at halftime minus fourteen and a half.
Speaker 2: And they ended up winning by fourteen. Yeah, they missed it by the half.
Speaker 1: Of the hook got me? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yep? All right, okay, so they're down fourteen three.
Speaker 1: Continue, Yeah, but Spencer Rattler looked good in the first half after halftime, just six of twenty four passing for one hundred and four yards and two interceptions, so they were able to clamp down on him and win that game twenty four to fourteen. South Carolina easily covered if that's something you're interested in. On the flip side of the easy cover conversation, there is LSU. LSU was about a nine and a half point road favorite going to Starkfield to square off against Mississippi State. They won this one going away. This game was never closed. It's forty one to fourteen. LSU dominated. Jayden Daniels looked about as good as I've seen him. I don't think i've seen him look that good in a while. Three sixty four passing, two touchdowns through the air, sixty four rushing yards and two touchdowns on the ground. Neighbors had a monster pinball game. He should be a dude if we don't include him on our list. Thirteen catches, two hundred and thirty nine yards and both of those touchdown passes from Jayden Daniels. So they look really the Mississippi State offense is a disaster. Yeah, right now, it is an absolute disaster. Right now. It's brittally here. Just nothing is down the field. It's unnecessarily conservative. I don't get what they're doing. I don't know if Zach Garnett is figuring it out or if he's just very defensive minded. I don't know what their deal is, but that offense is just really really tough on the eyes.
Speaker 2: It is. I think the story is still LSU, whose offense wasn't great the first couple weeks, especially the one the week against Florida State. That connection, that connection downfield. It seems like Jaden Daniels has more trust in his receivers in that scheme in Malik Neighbors. Oh god, ty, I hate where I'm gonna go with this. Right, But isn't the like the Ashanti Fat Joe. It's about trust, Babel. It's about about trust Nabe, Right, It's about trust Nabe. No, Okay, I tried to tie quip there. That's I tried it. I'm reeling it back. I'm going back in the lab. I'm gonna start scribbling on my little architecture Easel, and I'm gonna come back with something else. No, that's the story. It's it's the LSU offense getting it together. It's the LSU defense getting after the quarterback in ways they didn't do against Florida State. Harold Perkins I think got his first sack on the year. So they got after the quarterback. They you know, when you're combining a pass rush with a downfield passing attack, your decent shape heading into the sec part of your season. So good for LSU. There The only other point on the Georgia South Carolina and then we can move on to whatever you want, is the jump scares from Spencer Rattler in the second half, where's like an outside linebacker right like there was just the South Carolina offensive line. You didn't he didn't know where it was coming from, a no sackle and he was just That's why I tweeted out from our account that Spencer Ratler is getting so much exercise today because every single snap he's just being flushed by some pass rusher. I felt bad because the opening first two or three drives, it seemed like they were just quick hitters, screen game going well, and then they just they didn't have that outpitch. As soon as the Georgia defense woke up and Georgia was going downfield more on offense themselves. Also, Dejon Edwards really nice performance for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a boost to get him back. It was a boost for Georgia to get him back, and that's going to be the name of the game for South Carolina. They clearly fought pretty hard in this one. It is going to be a constant struggle though, of I think Spencer Rattler trying to outdo his offensive line, yes, because that was a clear weakness coming into the season, and.
Speaker 2: There's not much chi can do.
Speaker 1: It's not what you can do, right and especially going up against a team like Georgia, you just kind of know what you're signing up for there, and I thought, to his credit, did about as good as you could expect. Twenty four to fourteen is your final score. Elsewhere in the SEC, just to round things out, we had Old Miss up big over Georgia Tech. This one came on strong and came on late because this was a relatively close game for most of the way, and then Ole Miss poured it on down the stretch. Forty eight to twenty three was your final. We had Texas A and M big over Louisiana Monroe, Kentucky big over Akron thirty five to three. Nice game for Ray Davis on the ground and through the air, who was a team's leading receiver. We had Auburn forty five to thirteen over Samford. A good game for Peyton Thorn. Also one of those dual threat games. Did well through the air and on the ground, I believe was Auburn's leading rusher and the close things out. UNLV beat Vandy, Dan, I know they beat Vandy.
Speaker 2: That was That was a game that UNLV needed to go down for my Vandy Bowl. It was a spicy prediction. Yes, wasn't like me sitting with a sniff of brown liquor being measured about a prediction. It was just me being a little bit pecan pe and I got it wrong.
Speaker 1: What are you gonna do? I'll jump over to the Big twelve because there was connective tissue between these two conferences, and that was BYU knocking off Arkansas. Okay, thirty eight didn't watch it one, tell me about it. Thirty eight to thirty one, BYU knocked off the Razorbacks. This is a good game. This is a really, really good game. And if you look at the box score, you're you're not really going to be knocked over by any of the stats you see on the BYU side. But I think a solid defensive effort just sort of doing what they had to do to keep this one, keep this one from getting out of hand.
Speaker 2: Absolutely good, good for the Cougars is a big win.
Speaker 1: They're three and oh now, and I know coming into the season we had some serious questions about how are they gonna fare against better competition. It's clearly a tougher schedule than what we had seen in recent years for Byu. So to start things off three and zero in this manner beating a team like Arkansas, I think is is that's going to add some pep to their step. Again, it's not like Keaton slov has split the world on fire. But they held Arkansas to something like two of thirteen on third downs. They took advantage of Arkansas shooting itself in the foot with a ton of penalties. They had something like fourteen or fifteen penalties. Byu was just more disciplined and when push came to shove, that was enough to give him the dub. So nice win, nice.
Speaker 2: Win appear seven second half points for Arkansas with what a lead at halftime?
Speaker 1: Lead at halftime?
Speaker 2: Yeah, lead at halftime, seven second half points. So I saw a lot of disappointment chatter around Danyenos.
Speaker 1: Okay, West Virginia is seventeen pit six over in the Big twelve.
Speaker 2: So at the top we said there might be a couple of teams that, even though it's Week three, might be bad bad.
Speaker 1: We used to have a bit on this show called Secretly Decent.
Speaker 2: Pit, Secretly Decent Pit. Yeah, and then secretly Decent became kind of a thing, a rallying cry around. I think for whatever reason, ACC teams always seemed to fit that.
Speaker 1: Week Secretly Decent Wake we did.
Speaker 2: Secretly Decent right, and Danny Ettling, you know, there's always like we appreciate people who seem to be batting above their reputation. Phil dr Kovic and the Pit offense they do not fit this year, and I don't may look, the offensive line is just dreadful right now.
Speaker 1: For Pit.
Speaker 2: We saw Cincinnati run over him last week, and I just it doesn't seem like they have playmakers on offense. And West Virginia scored their I think their first touchdown was off of a shorter field. They recovered an know it was a pick. It was a great pick that West Virginia had and guy ran it back near the goal line. But yeah, I don't know if the story here is the fight from Nico Mark kiel Mark, is that how you pronounce it? The lefty who steps in for an injured Garrett Green starting at quarterback. Whatever it is, you win the backyard brawl at home as a dog. You have one of the most handsome podcast hosts on the solid verbal pick you, I don't know, You're in a good place if you're West Virginia. On the pit side, Look, the defense is probably okay, it's probably fine. They made plays. The offense just seems.
Speaker 1: Like a ren I mean, first off, the box score for this game read like an Army Navy game. Yeah, there are eighty seven rushing attempts in this one. And on the Pits side, pitt might be really bad on offense. They might be really bad on offense. To put this kay, I get it's a rivalry. I know emotions run high, and I get going into Morgantown at night is not an easy task. But for filder Kovic to go like eighty yards passing in three picks bad.
Speaker 2: So did you see that pick that set up the first that first I think it was the first touchdown, the little swing pass out to the tight end. It was filder Kovic rolling out to the right, pausing, noticing that nothing was there, and then threw across his body floating it downfield, and I think this was a Sean McDonough Greg McElroy game.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: McElroy was like, everybody knows you don't do that. Like he was trying to be, like to bring solid analysis and it was solid, but it came off. It was just like, can't do that, Phil, You know, you've been in college football for fourteen years at this point, not that throw. And so that was sort of encapsulating the pit evening in Morgantown.
Speaker 1: A handful of other sort of surprising results in the Big Twelve. I think that's fair to say South Alabama wins thirty three to seven over Oakie State. Yeah, Oklahoma State held to two hundred and eight yards, we can talk about that. We had Ohio knocking off Iowa State ten to seven in a dreadful football game, just a dreadful offensive football game.
Speaker 2: Culminating in Matt Campbell needing to be held back from fighting a fan or arguing with a fan who said that he was on the hot seat. Okay, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then also we had Miami, Ohio knocking off Cincinnati battle for the Great State of Ohio thirty one to twenty four in overtime. We had Cincinnati running for two hundred and seventy three yards. They were eight of seventeen on third downs, and somehow they lost. They lost because they had too many short field goals. They couldn't convert those into points. Ultimately, that's how you lose games. And Miami Ohio is not a bad team this year. No, So those are kind of the results that I think surprised me the most. I don't know if you have thoughts in any of those. In particular, I had many Oklahoma State thoughts I have for us.
Speaker 2: Let's start there then, please. Yeah, we talked about this and we got some blowback on Look, it's a long season, this is week three. Maybe it's a situation which Oklahoma State fully turns it around. This is the wake up call they needed. Chest it's not it's not Dan, it's not and here's nice. Here here's the thing. Okay, huh.
Speaker 1: People interpret and it was mostly me who said it about Oklahoma State. People interpret what I said as me rooting against Oklahoma State. To be fair, I'm not rooting against any of these teams. This is not good. The quarterback situation's a mess. They're still playing all three quarterbacks for three weeks into the season, it appears as if they've now settled on Mike Gundy's kid, Gunner Gundy, as a starter. But I don't know. Obviously, if you will get the box score, if you'll get the final scorer, there's room to grow there. But it gets back to the point that we've been making all off season. The high school recruiting has not been good. There was a mass exodus of players who hit the portal and went elsewhere. To that point, Mike Gundy also went out and brought some guys in. But my concern with Oklahoma State was that if they're going to turn into a portal team where there's this constant turnover year in year out, it's going to be really hard to sustain success. That's not to say they can't go out there next year and put together a great class and a better quarterback situation or what better coaches, whatever it is that they think they need, organize the troops and get this thing back on the track. Okay, and maybe that springs up the high school recruiting, but all I'm saying is there's been a trend here. There's been a trend where the recruit the underlying high school recruiting has not been good, and something like three out of the last five years the team has been like a seven to eight win team a five lost team, and that to me feels like it's headed in the wrong direction. Totally separate from the fact that they won the Fiesta Bowl what two years ago against Notre Dame. Sure right, that doesn't even matter at this point in time. It just feels like the program's in a bad spot. And I get it that South Alabama plays good defense, they shouldn't lose by twenty points.
Speaker 2: This is the Damian Webb only played for one of those teams, and it wasn't the winner, and it wasn't a team that couldn't stay within what twenty five points of the winner. Dami Webb ran all over Oklahoma State as well. Let's put some respect on the Jags. It's Womack like.
Speaker 1: It just doesn't feel like it's in a good place. And if there were a gravitational player, if there were a guy that we could point to and say that's that's the guy. That's the guy. They need to get that guy the ball all the time, then they'll be They'll be fine. As they head into the tougher parts of their schedule. We haven't even gotten there yet. Then I'd feel okay about it, but I don't. I don't know who that guy is. I don't know who that quarterback is, right, I'm just I don't know. Like again, not actively rooting against Oklahoma State, but we did kind of call it. Oh my god, I love this victory. I love victory lap tie. We don't always get to take them, but we called it. You know, it's not it. This is surprising, This is surprising. This is disappointing for an Oklahoma State fan. I don't want to dunk on Oklahoma State people, of which there are many that listen to the show. Yeah, and I'm sure sure they're just as frustrated as Frankly, I am watching this game the way I did. But this is I think what I was talking about.
Speaker 2: It's okay, so big picture, if you want to draw it to other teams, we've all rooted four teams, well most of us, well now Alabama fans have. I guess we've all rooted for teams in which the quarterback situation was anytime a guy dropped back, or it was third and eight, or it was second and seventeen or an obvious passing situation where you just have that feeling of helplessness in your heart. And right now with the Oklahoma State offense as they cycle between these three guys, I'm afraid there's more of that than not. Okay, speaking of helpless quarterback play, Iowa State, Oh man, what hi?
Speaker 1: God?
Speaker 2: Was at an ugly game?
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 2: I mean, look, I would Hunter Deckers be much better JJ Cole I likely not. I think this is an Iowa State thing. I think this is an offensive line thing that they have. I've been able to develop guys that you know, every so often, They've got a guy like Breise Hall or got him. Gonna go back and think of names here, so you've got your guy who you gave the terrible nickname to. His name was all.
Speaker 1: Lazard, Duke of Fizzard Almalzard, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And Zavier Hutchinson like they've you know, the the tight ends, Chaz Cole are all those guys. They get playmakers on offense, but the offensive line doesn't step up. And now brock Party's like the most efficient NFL quarterback after he leaves Ames. So I don't know, there's something about Iowa state internally with this offense, and maybe it's all on the line, but it's ugly.
Speaker 1: Elsewhere in the Big twelve Oklahoma sixty six to seventeen over Tulsa. I warmed up a slice of pizza. They were up twenty eight. I came downstairs. I was like, what what? How did this happen? Oklahoma wins Big. Texas was tied ten ten late into this game before they pulled away rather quickly and right after Pat forty two did that. It was a close game and it was not a drill. That was when I started trying to figure out, how do I get the long Court network on my computer? How do I watch this game?
Speaker 2: How do I pirate this game? Allegedly right right?
Speaker 1: And then you came through because you are the allegedly the grand master pirate? Yeah, wow, damn blown on my spot. Okay, Texas wins thirty one two ten. Not a great game for Quinn yours eleven to twenty one, one hundred and thirty one yards did have two touchdowns, but thirty one ten your final for Texas. We had TCU pulling away from Houston thirty six to thirteen. The out gained Houston five sixty four to two eighty so good offensive showing there. UCF big over Villanova, Texas Tech big over Tarleton State, and Baylor wins by twenty three over Long Island University. I texted with the Pope, Peter Poka this one. He says, quote, this should have been one of those good, boring, learn a little kinds of games. It was the boring kind, the bad boring kind that just felt like more of the same. The fan base is turning sour on Aranda and Grimes quickly underwhelming on offense, uninspired on defense despite a decent enough game. So there you go.
Speaker 2: Hey, win is a win.
Speaker 1: You'll take the dub, especially on surviv and Evan Saturday. I believe Kansas and Nevada is going on as we are recording, so tenall.
Speaker 2: At time of recording, I don't know how far into this game. I just saw that it was ten all.
Speaker 1: Which conference you want to go to next?
Speaker 2: Let's go to the Big ten, because I thought there was some consequential results there. Fourteen all Friday night, Virginia, Maryland, we might have ourselves. Nope, not a game at all, not a game at all as Maryland, I think because I think Virginia started this game up fourteen to nothing with Calandria making a bunch of plays. So was Maryland rattling off forty two straight and.
Speaker 1: He got off to a hot start, and we were texting each other because it seems like he has some juice. Anthony Calandria quarterback quickly and then yeah, through three picks, Virginia gave up forty two one answer to lose forty two to fourteen. Kind of a bummer, Damn.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was just hoping for more fun because the first half was really fun. And then I watched the entire game Saturday morning, I was like, well, Okay, Maryland's much better. We also were in the Big Ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had Penn State thirty of thirteen over Illinois. We had Iowa and a Faran's fluff up. We need a sound a Farans fluff up forty one to ten over Western Michigan. Ohio State big over Western Kentucky sixty three ten. We had Michigan over Bowling Green, though JJ threw three picks in that game. Wisconsin, I'll talk about Wisconsin a little bit, thirty five to fourteen over George's Southern. The only other games here we had Rutgers thirty five to sixteen over Virginia.
Speaker 2: Taken care of business is underrated, and Rutgers has done nothing but take care of business on their way to being what's the record tie.
Speaker 1: Three and oh baby three and oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Sing out for our loyal Piscatawayans continue.
Speaker 1: And then we had Nebraska thirty five to eleven. I'll get to produce Syracuse when we talk about the acc But yeah, some, as you said, consequential results, right, like I think the a couple thoughts here. Firstly on the Ohio State front, much better from Ohio State. I get that it's against Western Kentucky, but going into a big game in week four on the road at Notre Dame, much much better for Kyle McCord. This is the kind of tune up you want to see before a big game. There were not a whole lot of teams in week three that were tuning up for Week four and did so in an impressive fashion. So to get one and for it to be Ohio State, knowing what they've had the last two weeks, where the defense has been solid, the offense has been sort of slowly nursed to health. Sixty three points feels good. That feels really that's a neck crack if you're Ari Wasserman or an Ohio State person, right, that's good. The Penn State game. The Penn State game is exactly what I warned about about six months ago when we did the schedule preview. Okay, and because this was your standard issue Penn State road opener in the Big Ten, standard issue, they look sluggish. Drew Aller lacked the pop. Penn State in this one owes a lot to its defense, five takeaways. They scored twenty points off those takeaways. You know, Illinois did not do themselves any favors. This was mostly Penn State's defense, I think doing the lion's share of the lifting. But thirty to thirteen, look, you'll take that road wins. It's the kind of game that doesn't excite you, but you're satisfied with the win. And now they come back home for the wide art against against Iowa next week. On the Iowa front, I mentioned the Farence fluff up thirty seconds left, they're up twenty four points, they're up thirty four to ten. Iowa runs it in for a touchdown to get to forty four one, just to get a little bit of padding for Brian have to You have to also cover the spread, which is not insignificant. When we're talking about Iowa forty one to ten, forty one to ten, well, Farence fluff up for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Iowa look not great, but they score. They have some short fields, Kate McNamara not incredible. They get a couple of nice runs. Obviously, the defense played very well. This is what Western Michigan. I don't know. It's Iowa winning games and this is how they win games. I don't have much to add to it. Illinois on defense, actually, look, Drew Aller left a bunch out on the field. He missed a bunch of dudes. I don't know what Penn State situation is in terms of gravitational players in this moment. I don't know if they would have been better if they had a better re receiver or you know, a Hanskasicki or any of the you know, Brenton Strange. Is that a name? Did I get that name correct? If they had somebody like that a big target. Pat Fryarmuth defense was great. Illinois defense seems strong. They absolutely have dudes on this Illinois, especially the front and Luke Aaldmyer threw four picks? Was it a four pick day for Luke Aaldmeyer for Illinois? I mean, here's my take. Not good enough, No, it's not good enough. But I was encouraged by their defensive line. I think their defensive line actually lived up to some of the preseason hYP because they've got some ballers on that line.
Speaker 1: They look pretty good. They look pretty good. They were very disruptive for Penn State, and Penn State, frankly, to your point, has some questions to answer now about their offensive line, which maybe we'll find out more about that next week with Iowa coming to town. And also what the answer is out wide because they had some drop passes. I think they're still trying to figure out who is the number two behind KeAndre Lambert Smith.
Speaker 2: Okay, and.
Speaker 1: They need to figure that out sooner than later if they really want to go on a run through the Big Ten. But you'll take the win. You'll take the win on the road, absolutely will. I mentioned Wisconsin briefly. I thought Wisconsin on offense looked really bad for most of this game. And okay, they were gifted three first half interceptions, they couldn't do much of anything with it. They had six turnovers in total from Georgia Southern. They eventually pulled away in the second half. They ran the ball effectively. I think the final wise something over two hundred yards. They had five touchdowns on the ground. But it still feels to me like the offense is out of sync, which.
Speaker 2: A slow starts week after a week, and that's okay. It's a new offense, it's a new system, new coach, new coordinator, new quarterback. There's a lot of new But you'd hope that there'd be like a fourteen point first quarter thrown in here at some point. That's all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, I don't know. I don't know what the deal is there. We mentioned Michigan briefly. Three picks that I get there, right for.
Speaker 2: JJ McCarthy, Yeah, yeah, yeah, three picks for JJ McCarthy. Defense stepped up nicely. I think this is what the final game of Jim Harbaugh's suspension before they get into Look, Rutgers is taking care of the business. Is that their game next week?
Speaker 1: It's Rutgers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's Rutgers, baby.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: If you can throw three picks against Rutgers, maybe you can beat Rutgers. Throwing three picks, but it's more difficult than bowling green. Look Blake rhum Ran Well, the defense swarmed, especially in that secondary, making plays, setting up touchdowns. JJ McCarthy made plays. He's just he's a little bit forcy in this moment, and I want him to be a little bit trusty. If I'm going to make up words and adjectives talking about Michigan, they'll be fine. But they're not. I don't know, given his experience. They're not as explosive in the passing game all of the time. We're not as smart in the passing game. Again, maybe it changes with Jim Harbaugh on the sideline, calming him down, getting him into more of a rhythm. I'm sure it will affect him positively. But yeah, Michigan not just blowing teams out of the water in this moment. Now the under with Michigan at the moment.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned Rutgers. Rutgers led wire to wire against Virginia Tech at one point up twenty one to three. Tech did pull within five, and then Rutgers went on to score fourteen on answer to close it out. But Rutgers is three and oh, Rutgers is three and oh, going into Week four on the road at Michigan. Can't throw three picks against Rutgers. I think we are at that point. Can't do that.
Speaker 2: I don't think they will, but I think they can survive it. But I would advise against it. Yeah, so not advisable. Kansas touchdown. By the way, We've been alerted in the comments, So I assume they're up seventeen to ten. Now a Tobata elsewhere in the Big Ten? Anything else stand out to you? Nebraska starts Heinrich Harberg. Yeah, and they beat North Illinois relatively reasonably. He runs well, he passes fine. It's good for Nebraska to win. It's better than losing. I did not watch this game, but I'm gonna watch it at some point early on in the week. And Matt rules first win for Big Red.
Speaker 1: Two games, two crossover games. I mentioned the Rutgers Virginia Tech side of things that peaks into the ACC. There was also Syracuse knocking off Perdue.
Speaker 2: By there was a bunch of ACC Big Ten because what duke Northwestern North Carolina, Minnesota, that's right, few.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right. We had Syracuse knocking off Perdue. We had Duke knocking off Northwestern, big game on the ground for Duke over Northwestern. I guess the show piece, as it were between these two conferences was that North Carolina Minnesota game thirty one to thirteen is your final. North Carolina wins, big game out wide for Nate McCollum, Big game out wide for Day McCollum, fifteen catches, one hundred and sixty five years. I believe was targeted twenty times by Drake May, who in his own right had a monster game over four hundred yards. Finally, nice little neck crack for him. We knew he had it in him, we just haven't seen it quite yet. Drake May puts one on Minnesota. My question to you on North Carolina is this, And we talked about it in slack before we hit record. Yeah, given the nature of North Carolina schedule, which as ACC schedules go, is not all that bad. No, right, Given the nature of their schedule, it stands to reason we could go all twelve games for UNC this year and still not know if the defense is legit.
Speaker 2: I think what they look like against Miami is meaningful, especially now healthy Miami offense. That's what in two or three weeks yep. Yeah, mid October. It's in a while. It's in about a month, so they have time to even sort things out even further. But you're not wrong, Duke. I think Duke is legit. I think Clemson's fine, and that game is in Clemson. The games at Clemson, NC State, who knows. If we're gonna just give North Carolina thirty points to play with. I'm not crazy high on them because I don't think they have the depth to weather this schedule in a like a ten and two type way eight and four, nine and three. Yeah, sure absolutely. I mean the defense is already playing better than I thought they would given this is a tough start to their season. South Carolina app State Minnesota three legit programs. So good for North Carolina for taking care of business in the manner that they did. Drek May had a couple of bad picks, but didn't really matter against Minnesota. They led this. I think they led the whole time, right, Yeah, it was a comfortable win for UNC. They had pleasant surprise from the Heels.
Speaker 1: And the Minnesota side of things is still kind of Hereson bright Spot, Darius Taylor's really fun to watch, is really fun to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Gee's fun. The passing attack is attack is far is too strong a word to describe what they're trying to do through the air. And there's only so much that defense can do when the offense has no answers beyond Darius Taylor. So rooting for the rushing attack, rooting for him. But Minnesota is looking like bowl ish maybe at the moment.
Speaker 1: The other point of intersect here between the ACC and the Big Ten was Louisville, Indiana. This is one of my games of the week twenty one to fourteen. Louisville knocks off Indiana. This one was played in Indianapolis Lucas Oil Stadium. Louisville led twenty one nil at half and then sort of collapse in the second half, and Indiana's pass defense very suspect. It was very gettable at least in the first half, but second half, my guy, Raven Tavern Raven Tavan Jackson finished one yard shy of three hundred passing. It is very clear if you watch, is very clear that he's got real talent. It is very clear that Indiana's got a quarterback and that's exciting. That is exciting. So they didn't win this game. They had opportunities. I got the sense from watching Raven Tavin that he's too good for his other skill players. That receivers weren't able to handle the passes that he was so but.
Speaker 2: They've got a couple of pretty decent receivers. The number one guy is really good. But it's just I got.
Speaker 1: The sense that he was too good for the talent around him, at least in this game. Maybe that will change the deep we get into the season. But if you're an Indiana fan, good on you. If you're a Louisville fan, this is a you know, this is one of those deals where he went up big early and then hung on for the dumb man.
Speaker 2: Wish we had like Wendy's as a sponsor, we could present like a frosty, like the Moral Victory of the Week, the Scott Frost Award, Give him a frosty, the moral win of the week, the moral victory. Because maybe it's Indiana, there's a few of them. Boston College, give him a Frosty. We had Miami big over Bethune Cookman. They played this one on Thursday. It was forty eight to seven. We also in the acc had wake Forest coming from behind to knock off Old Dominion on the road, saw that twenty seven to twenty four. We had NC State forty five, vm I the Virginia Military Institute forty.
Speaker 1: Five to seven, and we finally had Clemson by a forty eight to fourteen score over FAU.
Speaker 2: Yes, in terms of crossover, I don't really have anything to add about those lower level ACC matchups, not teams per se. Garrett Schredder man.
Speaker 1: Oh Man, I wanted to bring that up. I wanted to bring that up on NBC Prime Time. Syracuse Purdue thirty five twenty is the final Syracuse wins. And there was some news that came out before this game that Rondez Gaston Junior is out for the year, which is a huge bummer, special player, and he figured to be the number one target for Garrett Schraeder. It seems as if we might get Garrett shredd Er the rest of the year. Yeah, just gonna lect him with us and Beard. He does of the beard now.
Speaker 2: No, he was good. He ran all over Purdue and there was some fight at the end, like not actual fight, but Purdue stormed back because it looked like Syracuse was going to be firmly in control. But yeah, it was. It was all Garrett Shredder all the time against the Boilers in West Lafayette. So good for QS. I know they were favorite on the road and we sort of went back and forth on that one. But yeah, in a weird looking ACCQS wins.
Speaker 1: Uh. Okay, Notre Dame forty one to seventeen over Central Michigan. There was a moment in this game where Sam Hartman got rolled up and had a defender kind of slide awkwardly into his knee and it went a weird way and then he turned and spun out of it. Okay, I damn near had a heart attack. I stood there watching my television motionless for a few minutes. Seems as if everything's okay.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. But in that moment, you didn't think you were ready for Peter Angelly.
Speaker 1: Was Steve Angeli No Steve Peter or maybe Peter's better hopefully. Definitely took a bit for Notre Dame to feel like it had this one in hand. I wish I saw more of a pass rush in the first few weeks of the season. I wish I saw a little bit more of that, because I'm not confident as I'm sure no team is confident that Notre Dame's got the secondary, the cornerbacks that can hang with the wideouts for Ohio State. M To be honest, nobody may have that secondary in college football, correct, But without the pass rush, it makes it harder and I'm worried about that. They're going to need to get pressure on Kyle McCord next week if they want to be successful against Ohio State. We'll talk about that on Wentz.
Speaker 2: Game day game. I think, right, you go to South Bend game day game. Yeah, coming through Chicago. I don't know, Tye. You could come through, eat some pizza, some media friends come through, Tye.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe not. I tried too much going on, man, Okay, too much going on.
Speaker 2: You just sit right next to me. I'm showing people on YouTube. You can can just take up the same frame right here. Okay, continue what else? So Notre Dame the only takeaway with Sam Martin avoided serious injury in the pass rushes, leaving you wanting more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I was glad to see that they got Tobias Merriweather involved in the passing game a little bit. I've been waiting for him to take on more of a more of a load in that receiving game, okay, and I think you know was able to step in, caught a couple of long passes. That was good to see. Let's go over to the champions or the Conference of Champions packed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got what big ten PAC twelve crossover with Washington Michigan State. I don't know if you had no ninety seconds, but that's all you really needed in this one. Yeah, speaking of games that I guess this would rise to the level of a flash fry for Washington. Yeah, boat race, whatever you want, forty.
Speaker 1: One to seven your final? Did you watch? How much did the city watch?
Speaker 2: I had to figure out. I mean I had signed up for Peacock ahead of the season, and I didn't know my password. I'm like, oh shit, and so I had to get my password. I got locked in. I watched the first I don't know, a quarter and a half. It was something like twenty eight nothing almost immediately. I don't know, what did you say when you warmed up pizza? That was your like your time metric. I mean, Washington's incredible and at least I'm specifically their passing attack on offense, but they're able to run the ball. A little bit. It wasn't the cleanest game in terms of penalties, discipline, all that kind of stuff for the Huskies. Didn't come close to mattering. Obviously, Michigan State dealing with its own issues down ahead coach indefinitely, he's gone, and offense looked terrible. I mean, Noah Kim had nowhere to go and didn't know where to look. And I think Katen Howser ended up playing some. Yes, but no, Michigan State didn't deserve to be on the same field as where Washington is right now. I mean, Roma doonsday was terrific. That the receivers are all great. No, Washington's in a great spot ahead of a schedule getting more difficult, I believe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they look good on offense to say the least. I mean, that's that's saying the absolute bare minimum. So Washington wins in resounding fashion over Michigan State forty one to seven. We had Utah thirty one to seven over Weaver State. Oregon State wins twenty six to nine over San Diego State. You messaged me that DJ you didn't look very good in this one.
Speaker 2: Looked off, made some weird reads, made missed some easy ish throws. Not his best day, wasn't super accurate. They ran the ball really well. Rush was there, I mean it was what San Diego State, who's I don't know. They seem like a C plus version of themselves at the moment, but you know, beating a team and holding them to single digits and comfortably winning the entire time, it's a good thing. So good for the Beaves surviving a downish day for DJU.
Speaker 1: Elsewhere in the Pac twelve, we had col thirty one to seven over Idaho. Did't Idaho lead? At one point?
Speaker 2: Idaho I think was up seventeen to nothing and Cal then scored thirty one unanswered, But yes they did lead.
Speaker 1: Okay. We had Washington State big over Northern Colorado sixty four to twenty one. We had UCLA fifty nine to seven over North Carolina Central, your Oregon Ducks fifty five to ten over Hawaii, and sack State getting some revenge on Troy Taylor winning over Stanford thirty to twenty three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did not think I needed to watch Sack State Stanford, even though you have the Troy Taylor connection, of course, But not a great day for Stanford from what I can tell if you're losing at home to Sack State, who is a really good FCS team? Not good enough At the moment, Fresno State is up twenty three to nothing in Tempe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, should we do the Mikey King cast again?
Speaker 2: You want to the Keen cast?
Speaker 1: The King cast.
Speaker 2: He was he's having a good game so far.
Speaker 1: Fourteen to fourteen to start the game for one hundred and twenty nine yards. Your guy, Logan Fife also came in for a run for a first down. I'm also told that Drew Pine participated at least for some portion of this.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: His first three passing plays were a strip sack fumble recovered by the defense I believe, Yeah, chased out of bounds for a one yard loss, and then another strip sack fumble that was recovered by the defense. So Drew Pine off to a rousing start for Arizona State as Fresno is up. We also have the Colorado Colorado State game that is underway. Is Colorado State currently leading? We will keep tabs on that one. Obviously it'll be over.
Speaker 2: By the time you listen.
Speaker 1: You'll know who will know who won, notably Travis Hunter in the hospital I saw that after a late hit suffered earlier in the game. We hope he is okay, and we will clearly keep you up to speed on the final results of that game. And last, but certainly not least, we've got Arizona and UTEP underway. I am not high on UTEP this year at all.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I mean, they lost Northwestern comfortably, but yeah, Arizona should beat them. Not much take away from Oregon Hawaii other than the Oregon defense appears to be much improved. Hawi. I can throw the ball a little bit, and they could not do it against the Ducks. They rotate in a ton on defense. So Oregon bouncing back nicely from a pretty undisciplined performance, albeit in a winning effort against Texas Tech. So and this was another flashfry. It was something crazy. It was like thirty five nothing or thirty one nothing very quickly. So good for the Ducks. Taking care business is always.
Speaker 1: Underrated, always underrated. Just to breeze about college football and some other conferences plays, Army sort of want a fun one over UTSA thirty seven to two twenty nine. They played this one on Friday night. We also had let's see app State over ECU a lot of points forty three two twenty eight, TWU Lane getting back to its winning ways, twenty one to three over Southern Miss. We had a win for Georgia State over Charlotte, a win for North Texas in a fun one over Louisiana Tech forty to thirty seven. A lot of points there, yeah, New Coach and Louisiana given Trent Dilfer and l forty one to twenty one your final score in that. And also Rice a big win over Texas Southern fifty ninety seven.
Speaker 2: Good for Rice. They just keep winning.
Speaker 3: JT.
Speaker 2: Daniels, Luke mccaffry. I keep saying, McCafferty, McCaffrey, Army suffocated UTSA. That was a Frank Harris free UTSA. But that was something like forty plus minutes of like it was just a Boa constructor performance from the United States Army elsewhere yet Tulane, I think it was Kai Horton again shutting down Southern Miss. So hopefully Michael Pratt at some point, I don't know, if I don't know, if you've seen injury news, if they're just holding him out for a couple more weeks or something. Hopefully all is well. With him. I don't think there was anything. Liberty was big over Buffalo, Yukon went down to FIU. Mike McIntyre in FIU. Middle Tennessee finally gets their first win against Murray State. New Mexico State beats New Mexico in was it the Land of Enchantment?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 2: You talked? You spoke of a couple of MAC performances. Obviously, Curtis Rourke and Ohio taking down Iowa State dynasty a Rourke dynasty, and Cincinnati going down to Miami of Ohio, Toledo beat San Jose State. I don't know if there was much more notable in the Mac anything else? Tie that jumped out man, hold on, hold on?
Speaker 1: Well? Sorry, two other results here that I want to mention.
Speaker 2: I'm ready.
Speaker 1: The Maddies of James Madison also known as the Dukes three and zero now knocked off Troy sixteen to fourteen defensive struggle.
Speaker 2: Okay, nice, right, great? Good for the Dukes and what else?
Speaker 1: Texas State GJ. Kinney put up that twenty seven on Jackson State?
Speaker 2: How many? How many points did Portland State end up scoring against North American University formerly the Texas Gulf Institute, who have all sorts of crazy misspellings on their athletics website. I don't know what's going on with the school. There's something different. I think they're Naia. Do you have a final score?
Speaker 1: Ninety one nothing?
Speaker 2: It was ninety one nothing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they fell on the ball basically in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: I'm positive there's something different about this school that I haven't quite put my finger on. Ninety ninety one to nothing? Were they playing sixth graders? What was going on? Okay? Quick, I got some dudes, ty oh, okay, please real quick, I'm gonna go triple Miszoo dude, Harrison Meavis, Brady Cook and Luther Burden. They earned it, tye. How about leek Coba for West Virginia. We got that offered to us a few times. He was everywhere for the years. Trevor etn for Florida. Garrett Shredder Malik Neighbors, you've turned down my nickname. Michael Pennix absolutely shredded Michigan State on the road. Good for those dudes, and hopefully everything turns out to be fun and healthy with the Colorado matchup.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely so. Look, here's the deal. We've got folks who probably tuned in for the referbs at this portion of the show. Yeah, being so we are down here in the caves, there was weird technical interference and therefore or reverb is gonna have to wait like a day or two. Couldn't get them together in time because of some technical issues. So we got a bunch of calls. We're gonna mix those up. We're gonna play them hopefully on Monday, and if not Monday, we'll play them at some point on ones. We'll make sure we get those reverbs. We appreciate everybody dialing in at eight five to five verbal three. That is the new phone number. We will play those in due time. We were not able to get them together today due to some technical glitches, so stay tuned for that. More fun to come here as we put a boat on all things. Week three, which means that we're about to turn the page into Week four, man, and week four is gonna be nuts. Yes, Week four is shaping up to be one of the biggest college football weekends I can remember, and Week five is not much worse. Week five is just as good as Week four, and we'll have a little bit more information at that point in time. The end of September, and maybe we'll have a better sense for who's good and who's not good because we did this entire hour of recapping. There are a great number of teams at this point in time that I really don't know what to make of them. I don't have to make us some of these teams. Week four is going to give us more insight. Week five, obviously we'll maybe we'll do a little bit better with our bets.
Speaker 2: I stand by how we did tie. Whatever we lacked in correct picks, we made up for in pure, raw, uncut enthusiasm.
Speaker 1: Here is the deal, folks, Hit subscribe to the YouTube channel if you're watching live, Yes, hit subscribe or follow to the podcast. If you want to follow along in audio form, we would encourage you to do so. If you've already done both of those things, please leave us, leave us five star rating, leave us a review. All of that stuff helps. It turns new people on to join our overballerhood. By the way, we've got a teeming community of premium verballers out at verballers dot com. V E R B A L L E r s dot com. That's where you can go to not only get access to the bonus content yet shows like this ad free all of our episodes on verballers dot com or ad free. You can play in our weekly pick them game, or we give away cool prizes to the winner each and every week. You also get a chance to join our board if you pick enough games correctly, a whole host. We get the scheme, breakdown videos from Jeff Schwartz. How can I forget that?
Speaker 2: That's true?
Speaker 1: The discold, the server, all of these things very much worth it. We put a lot of energy into making sure that our patreon is the best in the business. So we're excited about where things stand. We're excited about our community, and we would encourage you, if you like the show, to go on out and join as well.
Speaker 2: Agree. I have nothing more to add. How's your throat? Pretty good?
Speaker 1: Hanging in there?
Speaker 2: Do an R E B minus.
Speaker 1: It's a solid C solid okay, and I'll take this. It feels like a win.
Speaker 2: Love to hear it for.
Speaker 1: That guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Tie Hildebrand, thanks so much for downloading, Thanks so much for listening along live. Thanks for much for hanging with us here deep into the night. Hope you enjoyed. We three will talk to you soon. Stay solid, please,