Speaker 1: You're listening to Fox Sports Radio Radio. Hey there, it is the Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio. He's LeVar Arrington, He's Brady Quinn. I'm Jonas Knox. You can listen to us weekday mornings before the Dan Patrick Show six am Eastern time, three o'clock Pacific on a little something we do called two Pros and a Cup of Joe. But we are in for Dan and the guys here on this Thursday morning taking you live all the way up until noon Eastern time, nine o'clock Pacific here and want to remind everybody that if you've ever wiped with a piece of dry toilet paper and wondered, is this as good as it gets? Well, it's not. Switch to life changing wet extra large flushable dude wipes because wetter just cleans better. Available at Amazon and at major retailers nationwide. Dudewipes best clean pants down right now.
Speaker 2: It wouldn't be best if it adds up. I crave join it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would totally reuse those extra Lord makes it at a little challenging if you're trying to get back there with a pair of trousers on. But nonetheless, with the NFL preseason already in full swing. We've got, you know, the actual season, I mean college football's coming up right away, but we've got the actual season in the NFL coming up here soon. And one of the storylines that's been kind of going on for a little while now is the situation in Cleveland and the situation we will start with the Deshaun Watson side of things, who spoke about sort of his focus is they get ready to play and get ready to perform and ready for the regular season and get ready for these preseason games. But also he was asked as well during the course of this conversation about the reaction he expects to get from fans in Cleveland when he does play at home.
Speaker 2: Again, let's take a listen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean every opportunity for me, I just want to go out there and prove that I'm capable of being a starter. But as far as just nailing it and trying to yeah, my main focus is just trying to improve. You know, I'm not really focused on just the composition. You know, I think the front office and coach Monken is going to make that decision based on how they going to make that decision, you know, So you know, I can't really control that as far as what they want to go with. But I can't control my opportunities and my reps that I get and being successful with that.
Speaker 1: You've thought about any type of reaction that you might get at the stadium on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Are you prepared for whatever might come?
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't care. I don't care.
Speaker 2: So take that, Browns fans.
Speaker 1: I take that as he enterest the final a year of a two hundred and thirty million dollars guaranteed contract.
Speaker 2: Screw you.
Speaker 1: I don't care what the right act. Just today, I'm getting paid and that's going to take.
Speaker 2: Got me.
Speaker 5: That's the reality is he's what it's called fu mon. I mean, he's got that now and he's more focused on building back his career than anything else. And when the Browns fans want to hear it or not, you know, he doesn't doesn't matter, Like it doesn't matter what they think, what they care. In his mind, he needs to go out there and play to the best of his ability. I would say this though, this, this honestly didn't need to happen this season. You know, they could have moved on from him, we could have gotten rid of all this drama could have let Shador start. See what you have in Shador, see what you even have, and Dylan Gabriel or Taylor Taylor Green, Taylor Green, who's on the roster they drafted this year. You could have won with any of those options. And I think Brown's fans will be more pleased because they're curious and they and there's a lot who are rooting for Shador because they want to see what he's capable of, especially with his slide in the draft. And unfortunately, the Browns just find a way of putting themselves in this position every time. The fact that they signed to Sean Watson to the deal they did, you know, brought him in, traded for him, like with everything they did. Like this is one of those examples of when we say the right situation, circumstance, it never feels it's like that at Cleveland, somehow, somewhere they always seem to get in their own way. And so these quotes this quarterback competition, the resentment that the Browns fans have for the lack of what Deshaun Watson's done, the contract that he signed, everything that comes along with it. The Browns can't point the finger anywhere else other than themselves. And it's top down, it's ownership, it's the front office. So you know, this season, we'll see how things go. We'll see if Deshaun Watson starts or not, and how he performs. But I would have a hard time imagining that it's going to turn the feelings of a lot of Browns fans where they gonna be rooting for him and asking him to be extended. You know, this will most likely be his final year in Cleveland. I'd be willing to bet on that, and I would not be shocked I Shude or Sanders doesn't take over for a large portion of this season.
Speaker 4: How much of him not s living up to the contract does he have to do with it? How much culpability to it.
Speaker 5: But here's the problem. He was never gonna be able to live up to that contract. Like, if we're honest with ourselves, every single time in free agency we see a player, Hey, he reset the market. Hey he's he's now the highest paid at this position. You know, Patty always is, Hey, we just signed our cornerback to the biggest contract ever for a cornerback in NFL. It's like, Okay, it's hard to live up to that, because the expectation is that you're gonna be able to play as the best cornerback in the NFL every single year until the next time your contract's up, and it's just not sustainable and that contract won't live the test of time. So you know, it's it was never it was never going to be a contract he could live up to. In the first case, what I loved about the contract was for all players, it actually showed you you could find an organization that, despite all the off the field stuff, was actually willing to give you a fully guaranteed deal. It was amazing. It's amazing. And then it's like, oh, well because of how he didn't perform, now instead of it being collusion amongst the owners, which I think we all agree, everyone looked at Jimmy has them, They're like, dude.
Speaker 2: What are you doing?
Speaker 5: What are you doing?
Speaker 1: There's never been a contract like it since no And.
Speaker 5: But again they can use the excuse of saying, well, look how that turned out, We're not gonna do it. Cleveland did like that. That's their excuse to get around the collusion of it is it's been such a disaster that they can sit there and hang their hat on. Well, look how that turned out as opposed to it being no, man, we just don't want to give guys five year fully guaranteed deals. We don't have to put that much money up in escrow. You know that we have to put up every single year for these guarantees within the contracts on our roster, which is ultimately the truth, but no one's ever gonna admit that.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you came to the conclusion that I felt like you would come to, and the question being you weren't going to You're not going to play the contract and.
Speaker 2: Justify the contract. It's not going to happen.
Speaker 4: And so there's no reason to have any ill feelings towards him for saying he doesn't care about what the fans think, because if he really cared about what the fans thinks, I'm sure he's hurt more than enough from the fans by now to know what the fans think about him, and it's probably not very positive.
Speaker 2: So hold on the idea of all of this.
Speaker 4: Being where we are right now is more about their lack of belief, and this is just my opinion. I think it's more about their lack of belief of how good this team can be with the current quarterbacks that they had before Deshaun Watson was coming back healthy. I think the only reason why the we're done with the Deshaun Watson experiment that the owner came out said, the only reason why it makes sense and he can say, ah, you know, I didn't, you know, I meant it, but hey, it's because you brought in a new coach.
Speaker 2: That new coach came in and.
Speaker 4: He evaluated these players, and this just screams, we got to try with Deshaun. We got to try with Deshaun Watson because from what I can gather and what I can see, he's going to give us the best opportunity and the best chance to win. I don't think that well, Like first on the comments about I don't care what the fans think, Like I get it, like why should he care what the fans think?
Speaker 1: He already got paid, et cetera. But but at some point, don't you feel a little bit guilty, Like, hey, man, like I basically walked in there with a towel over my shoulder that I've been using, you know, for the last few years. At name a place with the neon light in the in the front window and a ski mask on, and I just took them for two hundred and thirty million dollars and I haven't really played at all, and when I have, the results have been really underwhelming. And it's like, yeah, I get it that you you know, maybe yeah, I don't. I don't care about the fans reaction, But wouldn't you want to like give him something like wouldn't you feel a little bit guilty? You got paid, you let him down? You get I just like that's the part that I listen when he says those things, Well, I don't care what the reaction of the fans is going to be. Why not, it's just.
Speaker 2: Part of the game. Why why? Why was his business? It's not his fault. He's getting hurt.
Speaker 1: Like you've signed a record setting contract and not lived up to any of it, Like I I would feel guilty, like oh man, like, yeah, I didn't I didn't do enough, Like I don't feel like I'm glad I got paid. I don't regret signing the contract. I regret my performance after signing the contrat Then you get to the end of your contract and he's probably about to bawl out. Oh it's my I can't wait, that's all I want.
Speaker 2: I hope he's the MVP Comeback Player of the Year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, MVP, I hope, And I RANI has to say about the Cleveland Browns quarterback, I.
Speaker 5: Will say what I've said there. He would you would then be a great tradeable asset.
Speaker 2: If that's the case, you trade him away.
Speaker 5: The hard part is in that instance is they're probably winning enough games that they're not in a position to draft a quarterback for the future. And if he and then you don't even know what you have in Shador. But honestly, that's probably is the worst case scenario. Even though you'd assume if he's the m v P, they're winning the divisions, they lose the Shott play.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's that's.
Speaker 5: Where that's where Cleveland fans are at. They would rather lose a bunch of games this season and get Shador in their asap to start and play. If Deshaun Watson ends up starting, they would rather lose a bunch and then get Shador and to see what they have in him, and then it positions themselves either to have him as the future of if he does well, if he doesn't they're drafting one next year, and it could be Arch Manning, it could be you know, pick your favorite quarterback in the twenty twenty seven draft class. But that is what a lot of fans that I here want.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't hear many people clamoring for Deshaun Watson. When they talked Browns football, they talk about what their expectations are for this season. You know. And by the way, even when he first signed, the optimism that folks had because of the success that he had in Houston, it was kind of like a because what he was dealing with off the field, it was like yeah, yeah to sign to Sean, Yeah, I hope it goes well. It was like it wasn't like a sense of excitement and it was more of a sense of like, yeah, we kind of are ashamed that this is the route we're going.
Speaker 1: It was kind of like that huh to where there was no real all right, we did it, everybody, like we finally found our quarterback. It was like, I don't know about this, Like there was sort of this hesitation to really celebrate.
Speaker 5: It's the only organization where if you had some in the front office who makes this sort of a say it didn't work out, which I think we'd agree it hasn't worked out that they wouldn't usually keep their job. But like it's status quo, like here we go still doing this.
Speaker 1: And that's the other Like they've actually drafted and had really good players there, like there's been players that they've hit on and you know, quarterback. I mean, look, Baker Mayfield has been a good quarterback and they let him walk. Yeah, I just it's the whole thing. And that's that's the other part of this too, because they were talking to shoud Or Sanders and he was saying, you know, he does he's not really worried about the quarterback competition. So I don't think they're like and I'll ask the question, why is the Browns quarterback competition even even a topic of conversation, because I don't think it's ever existed. I don't think there was any shot that shoud Or Sanders was going to be name starting quarterback this year other than let Deshaun play, let him struggle, and then we'll go.
Speaker 2: To shad Or Sanders.
Speaker 4: I just don't see the damage done by the Shawn Watson not playing more. I think fans could easily get over the fact that he just played poorly, like he just he was a failure as a player for the contract that he got. But he played he has not played very much at all, as you've alluded to. And what it just makes me feel like is again in looking at this scenario, DeShawn Watson does not get this opportunity if Shador Sanders is the quarterback that they felt is for the future. It's a definitive response to saying, we do not believe we have the quarterback of our future on this roster, including the Shawn Watson. So we're gonna give to Shawn Watson the opportunity to play because we're not confident we have the player our quarterback for the future. This is more of an indictment on the quarterbacks that they drafted versus the quarterback versus Deshaun Watson.
Speaker 1: But thought what was the hope with shud Or Sanders? He was a Day three pick, Like I don't understand, like why why were why were you banking on that being the guy?
Speaker 2: And maybe they weren't.
Speaker 5: Maybe there's there's people who feel like they got good value in that, you know, maybe because of whatever the perception was of him. Off the field or interviews or whatever it is. I mean, you can make up, you know, whatever report you read, and that's their justification for why he's slid in the draft. But they feel like they're getting good value. It's no different than Mike McCarthy saying, hey, we got Drew out in the third round, but we felt like he was a first round value and he looked great his first preseason game. I just there's there's optimism because he's the next guy. That's always the case when you've got a quarterback who the fans feel like is underperforming, the next guy is the fan favorite. He's the most intriguing. The tough part for even how this performance by Deshaun Watson was was packaged. I mean, it looks great on a stat line, is eleven for fifteen for like a in twenty six yards. I think he had one ball that traveled over ten yards downfield. You know, you look at his longest completion, it was a screen to Dylan Samson. You know, his average air yards per a temp were under five yards, So it was really quick dinking and dunking in screens. And that's fine, but you're not gonna be able to do that the entirety of the season. You know, you've got to be able to stretch the field vertically. And that's still where you look at his gaming and go, yeah, we used to see that in Houston and we've never really seen that during his time in Cleveland. And so at least for Shador, who I feel like is at a point where he likes throwing the ball down the field. He likes taking those big shots and chunks. It's entirely different. And with the young receivers, they've gotten Casey's conception own and Denzel Boston. I'd love to see, you know, what that looks like for this year. But again, it's a business too, and you've invested a lot of money to Sean Watson and they'll probably end up wanting to see it out or they probably feel maybe a little more confident in his ability as a guy who's been in the NFL or around the NFL for a long time to run an offense. They give him the best shot they have of getting in the right play, running the right play. You know that those are all things too that that matter. Where you know, shadors into a second year, but he's also in his second year with a new offense again, so there's gonna be some growing pains in that for him.
Speaker 4: Did Joe Flacco start the season last year for the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 2: Did Joe Flacco lose his.
Speaker 5: Remember because he's we had two stints there, right, Yeah, I think they was the starting quarterback of the season last year for the Cleveland Browns. God was God, that's pretty pathetic.
Speaker 2: We don't know.
Speaker 5: This may's more pathetic.
Speaker 1: Listen, Dorian Thompson Robin like they've been. There's been seventy five quarterbacks there in the last three years, Like, I mean, there's been a lot to keep track.
Speaker 5: Last year, all right, it was Joe Flacco, I believe, to start there.
Speaker 2: We go, okay, now, and.
Speaker 1: They traded him after they took him out, but I was yeah, but at least they traded him out of the division.
Speaker 4: So but hold on, hold on. Did he lose his job because of how poorly he was playing?
Speaker 5: Well, I think it was more of how the team was playing.
Speaker 2: It's how the team was playing. Okay, he was.
Speaker 5: One, he was one and three in those the starts, which he wasn't the problem. Let's just put it that way.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, then you bring in Shador Sanders, and you brought in Dylan Gate another loss.
Speaker 4: They didn't win very much when they brought them guys in, right, No, I'm just I'm just he didn't even like you didn't even start those guys. And listen, it's their rookie year, so I get it. But Joe Flacco is a journeyman. That's he's older, he's at the end of his career. Is like on some like Philip Rivers time in terms of oh, come on, well maybe not as many kids, but not as many kids, but he does he has been looking pretty good. Uh but those those rookies, to me, you saw both of them because none of them were good enough to own the job. And even with a Pro Bowl bid, he got a Pro Bowl bit no, no, no.
Speaker 5: No, no, both both had a Pro Bowl season. Fla got a Pro Bowl season as well. Okay, I mean what NFL roster last year had two Pro Bowl quarterbacks on it? Yeah, Browns can say that.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so before you.
Speaker 5: Go any further, be careful. Now they had two Pro Bowl quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: You remember that. Oh I can't, I must, I'm a I'm gonna I'm all walk all through this with my dude White, Hey, you remember that, Remember that Convention Center with the bounce house inside where they had the Pro Bowl last year?
Speaker 5: Sure they were there. Put some respect on their names. Yeah, put some respect on the name of ar you're a pro bowler. I just Joe Flaker were there. Who had a better year statistically?
Speaker 1: Key Key the moscow in Center, ca Arder.
Speaker 2: Cara Order, Shador Sanders who had to better season last year?
Speaker 1: Cam Warden The proper response is cute because it don't matter. Either one of them were very impressive. Listen, all I MusD say is.
Speaker 4: Deshaun Watson is maybe he isn't lucky because maybe he doesn't. I feel like the way he has handled things, he don't want to play, no more like he could act as though he wants to play. He's ready for this season. He don't want to play.
Speaker 1: Well, they took away a superpower. Why would he want to play? You saw Sammy Sosil last night, Ask him what it was like with up and they tow ship. Thundertowel, Thundertowe.
Speaker 2: Come on, thunder Towel.
Speaker 4: I mean he's made two hundred and thirty million in his career to this point. Thunder towels and hoes. That should be a T shirt. Yes, that should be a.
Speaker 1: Bo Wait how much?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 1: How much is Deshaun wantson ma?
Speaker 5: You imagine every one and thirty five million in his career. Put those numbers up. Those are rookie numbers.
Speaker 4: You imagine swinging that tow and it's loose, and every time he says thundertow, it gets harder.
Speaker 5: What is thundertow?
Speaker 2: That's amazing though, what's all the way he wrecked?
Speaker 5: He's gotten picked just a little bit. He's gotten paid that much? And how many games would you say he started?
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, like, how many games? Just in Cleveland?
Speaker 2: Has he started?
Speaker 1: Less than a full season?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: No, no, But how many games do you think he started in his career?
Speaker 1: I would say.
Speaker 2: Sixty a little more. How many years was he in? Uh?
Speaker 5: And he was in Houston for four years?
Speaker 2: Four years?
Speaker 1: There you go, I'll say, uh, seventy five, it's.
Speaker 5: In the seven He started seventy two total games, Yes, in the seventies. That comes out to three point three million per game. He's got to be close to an all time at all time high as far as what he's earned for how little is playing good for him.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Hey, So basically he's better, Hemmer, Kirk Cousins has done better. He's basically he's Kirk Cousins with a fetish. Per game, He's done better than Cousins per game. But I would say he's had two full seasons his entire career. You're talking about two guys that should be in in in this the other guy's place. Deshaun should be in Vegas and Kirk should be in Cleveland.
Speaker 2: Like that.
Speaker 1: That's really how this this whole thing should work, because there's a lot more options for to shot off the field in Vegas, I would imagine.
Speaker 5: So hold on, we may have a maybe a decent little competition here. Let me try to add this up right, all right, Actually it'll be Deshaun. It would be Deshaun Watson by a large margin. He In fact, he might actually be He might be the highest paid per game all time as far as starts go. Kirk Yeah, Cousins is below two million per game one hundred and sixty seven starts twenty two million.
Speaker 1: If Kirk Cousins had a fetish, he'd be wearing number four for the Browns right now. That's great. Hey, good for him, man, that's good work if you can get it. Proud of him, go Browns.
Speaker 2: They don't have a quarterback. Spot him live than Thank you, LeVar.
Speaker 5: For breaking the news stands. We've been a breaking.
Speaker 2: They don't have a quarterback in Cleveland.
Speaker 5: Oh man, play the music.
Speaker 2: And that's stuff to come to the stage.
Speaker 1: Real selective about our breaking news here some people that aren't thrilled with a sort of recklessly using breaking news.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh really, Oh yeah, you're not allowed to use it. We're not allowed to.
Speaker 4: That was I thought that was great with it anyway. But yeah, we can't use breaking news unless there is literally breaking news.
Speaker 1: Tvar sticks the landing on the conversation with they don't have a quarterback.
Speaker 5: Recognize that he does really well is very similar to Prisco. You give me very succinct. He'll just say, Nope, they don't got one.
Speaker 2: I don't have it. I mean that's that.
Speaker 5: That's no analysis needed, It's just they don't got it. We've talked about it now too long.
Speaker 2: Oh man.
Speaker 1: Well, it is the Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio Radio in Radio twin Jonas Knox in for Dan and the guys up next, though, We're going to tell you about somebody who is really, really loyal to their employers in the world of sports, and that's yours right here on FSR.
Speaker 6: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our SHOs at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 7: This is Rob Parker, and I'm here with an important public service announcement. Whatever you do, do not listen to the Paulie and Tony Fusco Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 7: Asked me to do a promo, but I'm here to do a no mo, as in, don't listen to this show.
Speaker 4: No mo.
Speaker 7: The host of two fools from Philly who have the dumbest takes ever in all of sports talk. And you know, if I'm saying that, they must really be bad. I have no idea why Fox Sports Radio picked this up, but I know where to put it down in the trash can. So please don't listen to the Paulie and Tony Fusco Show.
Speaker 1: No Way, No How, Two Pros and a Cup of Joe. Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 4: Thought that was the Narcos theme song for two seconds. Man, what a great theme song. I thought, I prefet was just going in on me all show long today.
Speaker 1: By the way, I had, that was a great idea. I'll come back with that I had. The Narcos theme is one of my intro songs, you know, ironically coincidentally.
Speaker 4: I don't know which one you want to call it, but a former Penn State football player is one of the agents in the in the show. Yes, really, the black agents, that one, that one. It was only one. There was only one, all Yes, I don't think so, I just think it.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean.
Speaker 1: He he he was former Penn State player and was good. He played with me. Yeah, and I was older. But yes, yes, that's Horse Dodd. He was like a guy.
Speaker 4: I think he's from Connecticut if my recollection serves me correctly. He was one of the top players coming out of high school.
Speaker 2: Where's it not?
Speaker 1: That's awesome and he lives out here in Cali, shouts out to my homie man. Great show, one of the all time great Netflix shows. Yeah, Narcos.
Speaker 4: They was after a pledge of Pledge Pledge, Gabal Pledge Gabar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was after him.
Speaker 4: He was trying to get Pledge Gabar, who knew he was an agent when he was playing like he was, he was undercover. He wasn't even there to play football. He was he was a narco's uh.
Speaker 1: You know, like I'm just saying, I'm not trying to just start a fight here. I'm just saying, you would never hear these stories at Notre Dame for some reason.
Speaker 2: I don't know why. I don't know what that. You know, it just seems like the fact.
Speaker 5: You know, back when I was back. I think maybe either before I went to Notre Dame or right as I got there he was a freshman. I'm trying to think when Jeff Smoker was there in Michigan State, there were some uh, there were some allegations there involving the old the good old powder.
Speaker 4: I mean, hey, I mean and you know, some catch use what's it called to stay awake and stay stay focused adderall? You know, that's I mean, just yeah, anyway, college students try to find ways to be able to stay awake and keep their energy level up. You know, you just hope nobody damage their lives or anything like that while they were going through that learning process. You know, some people have gone to pills. Some people go to booger sugar. I mean, I'm just saying I send out positive energy and thoughts to all of those impacted by the narcotics that have been found on campus. It'll be okay, you know, just be better. That's all we all go through life. We all go through seasons of life where we try to figure it out and find our way, and you know, you want more energy when you're doing it. You know, the healthy way is to use things like gim drive or you know, stuff like that. You know, get coffee, like you said, you know, but some people go a little bit more extreme.
Speaker 1: Hey, uh to eat their own man. But it'll be uh, it'll be a real uh be a real, real different different situation at Beaver Stadium, much like it's gonna be a different situation when Rory McElroy. Yeah, all right, old uh old Rory mac mister, mister pound the table for p g A. By the way, I want to blow hard Rory McElroy is I just want to say that on the record, I'm tired of betting on him and losing every tournament and yet winning the ones that I don't bet on him.
Speaker 2: That pisses me off.
Speaker 1: So I got a problem with him, but uh, he's got a problem with live golfers returning.
Speaker 2: To the PGA Tour.
Speaker 1: I don't want uh, you know, Scott O'Neill, you know, who's kind of you know, pushing the uh the live stuff here, letting everybody know, don't count us out, don't count us out. You've got you know, other players like Scotty Scheffler who are a little bit more supportive. Scotty Scheffler spoke about welcoming back some of the live players to the tour.
Speaker 2: Let's take a listen, like when.
Speaker 8: We talk about the best players, you know, lives has a.
Speaker 5: Few players that are really good.
Speaker 8: You know, I think the depth that we have on our tour is a bit unmatched. But I think when you look at the higher levels of live golf, there's definitely some players that would provide, you know, a lot of value to the tour and guys that I love competing against as well, And so I think going forward, there obviously has to be I think some sort of penalties.
Speaker 2: What those are?
Speaker 5: You know, I'll let roll up and all those guys figured out.
Speaker 8: You know, we have great leadership within the tour now, but I think having those guys come back and competing with whatever happens with LIV Whether those guys want to leave or mean, you got to ask them, But I think for me being able to compete against the best players in the world, you know, there's certainly some guys on that tour that can compete out here, and you know, I look forward to the chance to compete with them more often.
Speaker 1: So there's a welcoming tone from Scotti, Scheffler, and then you've got Rory McElroy who talked about what sort of value these golfers would bring to the PGA Tour.
Speaker 8: Ry Scotty was asked about the possibility of live guys coming back and whether they bring value in your opinion, are there guys if it goes away that that should be allowed back.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'd argue have they brought value to Live thank you know, I think PJ tour is in a really good spot.
Speaker 5: God he's not wrong. You know. Ultimately they were so successful in driving ratings to the Live Tour then crowds to Live Tour. They wouldn't have folded like this that Sadi would have pulled back from funding that league. So there's truth. There's truth to both of it. Because I think you see in majors too, that there are a handful of players who have been able to compete contend in majors to a degree. But the business model for live tour and we have Scott O'Neill's sound on this as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's say take a listen to a.
Speaker 5: Wh why don't we play Scott on Neil. We'll get to it.
Speaker 1: We have work to do, you know, we have things we have to accomplish. There are hurdles we have to jump over. There's it's a very complex transaction we'll have to deliver.
Speaker 2: But man, I won't bet against this. Hey keep hope alive, baby, and that's.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's for the lives. I don't know, And I think that's the hard part is you know, they could even find a real betting sponsor, right. It makes it tough to bet against them, whether you want to or bet with them. The timing of these matches being international destinations makes it harder for people not only to watch because it might be on at two am on the East coast or or you know, laid on the West coast, but you're not only not getting ratings, you're not not even getting people who are able to live bet on it. So there's a number of things.
Speaker 2: That hurt them.
Speaker 5: I think the shotgun starts that their format, the way they played that it didn't play to their advantage. There were some things though, that the Live brought the PGA Tour, and that was a renewed sense of hey, there is an idea that someone else can start of a league like this and compete. And you can't say that the Live Tour starting up didn't benefit the PGA Tour. Many all those players have greater benefits now, the purses, the way they've got about the Championship Series, which we're starting in I believe twenty twenty seven, if I'm not mistaken. So there's a plenty of good that came to the PGA Tour from the competition of the Live Tour. Unfortunately, the Live Tour's model just wasn't sustainable.
Speaker 2: So you guys, remember, you guys, remember when.
Speaker 4: When Quintus said the Maximus Decimus Meridius right before the battle, people should know when they're defeated. You know what that quote was. That was Russell Crowe saying would you I would you Quintus would I? I mean they're defeated. It's over, Johnny, pack it up, beg to get back into the PGA. Stop fighting, give up, and all these people behind you with weapons they're about to die with you tell them to put the weapons down and say, you know.
Speaker 2: What, we were just playing. We were just playing.
Speaker 4: We're coming back, We're coming back over there, which out like we were just playing around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But like I don't, like, I get why Rory mcclroy wants to be loyal and he and he's loyal to PGA, and I totally get that, and I respect it. That's awesome, But I don't begrudge any of these.
Speaker 2: Guys for going to get the money. Yeah, they got all.
Speaker 1: They got big time call and there got guaranteed money that that they probably weren't going to.
Speaker 2: Get on this.
Speaker 4: I know we don't have a lot of time, but I would pose this to you guys. Don't you have to go a Rory McElroy approach to this and be hardcore on it and iron fist on it and and unforgiving on it so it never happens again. This is a great opportunity to stop people from ever trying to ever do this again and defect.
Speaker 5: I think that's one way of looking at it, I think, look, the people always had an issue with where the money came from and the ties to that money. That was part of the thought to it. There was also a thought of, yeah, you know, they're making all this money, at least initially, but if it's just about a money grab, if it's not really about golf, and obviously they weren't even playing as much golf on that tour, and I think you can ask guys who came back like it kind of took away from the competitive spirit of the game because they got their money, so they're good. So now they're just out there kind of playing golf in a much more leisurely way, and it ended up not being as compelling of a product at the end of the day. But to your point, LeVar like, yeah, I think if you take a strong stance, if you penalize these guys, which I think John Ram's got to pay what twenty five million to come back on the tours what I reportedly saw. I mean, that's a heavy penalty to come back, and it should be because if they got the money and that was all it was about, then all right, like give us some back into into the tour. Help prop us back up again, and for all all the guys who stayed loyal and the guys who've been grinding it out competing as part of it. You can call them stupid in one way, but you can also look at it and say like there should be some sort of reward for their loyalty. And I think it's one of the things that Roy's trying to protect in all of this this there's a bunch of guys who've been competing their ass off, who didn't try to go take maybe a guaranteed bigger paycheck on a what if, And they're trying to respect those guys as well.
Speaker 4: I think you just got it. You gotta stomp it out. You got to stomp it out, man, you know Russell Crow said it, I'll stay with Gladiator. When you see the signal release hal on them. You got to destroy these cats. I mean no coming back. If you leave any there will be eggs, they will hatch. You will have the infestation again. You have to delete it at the root, at the core, so it never comes back.
Speaker 1: Do we really want to do anybody want to do a little bit of a look, and I you know where some of the money came from. From some of Rory's sponsors as well too. I mean, if we want to play that game, that game, that's what you do. If we want to play that game, we can play that game. And you felt But that's just what this is, what this is all about. Where did it come from? Where's the sponsor dollars come from? Telling I'm saying I don't begrudge anybody for going out, and I understand you feel how you want to feel at all that, but those guys made a personal choice and they wanted to get paid, and they were offered a ton of money.
Speaker 2: And if we're.
Speaker 1: Really going to go like, well where did this money come from? If you play that game, you could do that any which way with any golf or any o.
Speaker 5: It's it's it's not quite the same though, Like like the PIFF the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia and its ties to whether it's human rights groups or the families of nine to eleven, those victims and those ties, that's real, dude, Like you can dismiss it, but in reality, like all that stuff is real, and and you can understand why there's a lot of people who are hurt by it. So you could say it's about money. Whatever you want, but this definitely hit home to a lot of people who had to suffer through nine to eleven are still suffering to this day.
Speaker 1: No, and and and it's I'm not dismissing it at all, and all of that is real. I just think that, you know, it's not so like Rory's standing and preaching and letting everybody know it's not cool.
Speaker 2: And you know, I'm going to defend the.
Speaker 1: It's like, man, do you have his list of sponsors? Rory's yes, He's got a bunch. I mean, do you have the list? You said it like, he's like, he's the one the same exact thing, fairly sure. Nike's one of his sponsors.
Speaker 2: Use Nike as that.
Speaker 1: No, I'm just saying that's one that I can recall. I see improve.
Speaker 5: Things Taylor made Omega. I'm not sure that you take it's the same category. Yeah, I don't think it is not at all.
Speaker 4: But you going you go down to human right work, got it, You're going down to human right play, dude, White.
Speaker 1: A lot of questions going to be be asked if you wanted to on a lot of safe words, a lot of things, by the way, if you've missed any of today's show, you're definitely gonna want to catch the podcast. You search two Pros wherever get your podcast. Right after the show, today's pot will be posted. Be sure to follow it rate at five stars. You can even provide a review.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: Just search two Pros wherever you get your podcast. You'll find today's full show and the best of version posted right after we get.
Speaker 2: Off the air.
Speaker 1: Up next, is this a contract dispute or something else going on in the NFL? That's yours here on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 6: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen.
Speaker 2: Live taking us to Miami.
Speaker 1: Huh, it is the Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio. LaVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jon Stocks, so festive, so energetic, it is man summertime music.
Speaker 2: Turn it off.
Speaker 1: Yeah see see it's a home game for me. That's a different see right there by the way, we don't even have enough time to get into this NFL topic, So I'll just say on the subject of when you say, see, uh, my point was proven correct that living in southern California. Uh, we are spoiled with authentic Mexican food because I had some in Chicago and I'm not going to out the place.
Speaker 2: But man, oh man, it was not authentic. Everybody got that work.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, everyone in Chicago goes there for their Mexican food.
Speaker 1: Joannes, Hey, look, I just want to do a I wanted to go try it out as an expert, as somebody who married it, because I'm sure.
Speaker 5: How many times I mean, forget deep pizza, I mean right next tore the list is besides the Chicago Dog.
Speaker 1: And had a little bit of everything.
Speaker 4: I've never understand do it this since we don't have any time? How can you have a Philly cheese steak in La How can you have French fries in America? I just don't understand it.
Speaker 1: Like, if it's a if it belonged to a place, leave it there. If it's Spanish rice, you should be somewhere in Spain. Well, look, I mean there's a there's some Spanish right If we're in America, You're not gonna Hamburger outside of Germany at Hamburg.
Speaker 4: How please tell me how you got a New York style pizza?
Speaker 5: Very carefully.
Speaker 1: LeVar Wisconsin. Yeah, they had Wisconsin cheese curds in Chicago. Solid all right, everything else solid, everything else, everything else solid, said, I'm confused.
Speaker 5: I just I would never take Jonasa's vice. Wasn't going anywhere for food. I just wouldn't. I've seen too much the places you try to like hype up it's it's not a good.
Speaker 1: First of all, I gave you a recommendation. You walked by it, you were super judgment I never walked by it. You walked by you said you walked by it. You're like and and and I quote place looks like an asshole.
Speaker 5: I didn't walk by it, never walked by it. Was in a car. I was like, Oh, there's the place that Jonas is talking.
Speaker 1: About last time. That's fine. Way to go get some more Mexican food in Chicago. The bridge of recommendations from me years over. Yeah, I'm going to go get me a Chicago deep ditch today in Beverly Hills. Yes, you are, you are