Speaker 1: A Birdland Welcome in Trade Deadline Eve edition of Birdland Territory. As we're now less than twenty four hours away from the deadline six pm Eastern Monday, so we're taping this a little before seven o'clock on Sunday night. So if something happens at eight or nine and you don't see it on this video, you'll know why. Things happen fast. There could be deals tonight as we take this. The Oriols have made the one trade of Dean Kramer. A lot more could be coming, so welcome in Steve, Tim and Brad. It was an uplifting Friday night at the ballpark to come from behind wind and then the Oriols really late at egg shut out, back to back rain today game called after the second rain to day five and a half innings Phillies nothing so guys, the Oils are fifty four and fifty eight at the deadline. We can now say there are no more games, so the trade deadline. They do not have the look of a playoff team with this series falling flat the way they have. Michael Ia said Friday, they could be buyers and sellers. Let's see what happens now. What are your guys thoughts coming out of the Phillies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I just don't know. At this point. It's I can't see how they could be buyers.
Speaker 3: It was after that game Friday, you thought they're gonna take some of that momentum into the game Saturday and Sunday, and like you said, see just kind of fell flat and offense wasn't able to get anything going. Boz had a great start, and then the bullpen unfortunately kind of let the lead get away there on Saturday, and then today was just a rough one from the Star with the rain, and yeah, it just kind of messes up all the plans there. So it's I mean, they were on the doorstep two games under five hundred, and you're feeling good, but the vibes were high, and then it's just now your four games under five hundred, and I just don't. I just can't see them being buyers at this point after the And it's tough to say after two games, but it just kind of seemed like it flipped. It flipped the other way. Friday you thought it might be and now it's after two games like that. I guess that's just the way the standings are. It's just everything's so close, but it's a little a little tough after those two losses.
Speaker 4: That's sort of been the story of the season, right guys. You have the crazy come from behind when what was it Thursday in Detroit where you're down seven runs, s gooogles on the mound, you win Friday. The Phillies are really really struggling coming to Camden Yards. They lost nine of twelve coming in after the All Star break, and.
Speaker 2: To lose the series, it's tough.
Speaker 4: And I think Michaellias, he was very honest and candid during that meeting with the media on Friday, and I just think in his projections and his numbers. You look at Fangrafts and their playoff odds are around twenty percent or so. I think you gotta be realistic and it's gonna be tough to sort of thread that needle of buying and selling. But I think these next twenty four hours are gonna be really, really fascinating because there's just been so much smoke in terms of possible players that are up for sale for the Orioles.
Speaker 1: So many factors lead you to think we could see one or two big names go from this team, and those factors include the Oriols four games under having won one series since the end of the seven game winning streak they've won and three in series since then with a losing record, so they did not build on that streak. Other factors include it seems like many more buyers than sellers, teams that really need a catcher, which is where Adley's name keeps coming up here and the tea leaves are pointing that direction, and Mike Elias when he was asked about Adlee specifically, Friday mentioned again how much they like him, they hope he's here. But then he said the position the team has put us in, we have to be open minded to end anything.
Speaker 5: That to me was the key phrase.
Speaker 1: There's two words open minded, meaning he, even in his precarious personal situation with his contract and his future with the team, still has to think about adding right now. Almost seems foolish to try to make an int If you could get Trek Scoogle, that's different.
Speaker 5: They're not going to do that.
Speaker 1: They didn't get him, and they're not going to get a player who's a difference maker. Mason Miller is not walking through that door. So if you're going to get an incremental upgrade. To me, it's like, let this team stay as is and see if they can pull this out.
Speaker 4: And I think we've been saying this for a while, and Brad like, if this team is going to make a push and make the playoffs, it's going to be about the guys that they have. And Gunnar Henderson had that vintage moment Friday, but unfortunately not able to carry you know, can he sustain it?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 4: Can he carry this team? Can this offense wake up? The starting pitching, the pitching in general. To me, just not a player or two away. But then when you get back to the Adley of it all, Brad, I thought it was really telling. When Mike last met with the media and not counting the bradish press conference June twenty seventh, and he was asked about Adlie and he said, I'm paraphrasing, but I wish Adley was here forever. I wish you add more club control. To now him saying he's open minded, I think that was pretty telling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: I think it just kind of knows that there is a growing interest. If they were willing to trade ADLEI that interest has kind of grown. I feel like you wouldn't make that statement and change your kind of tune or tone of how you're saying things unless there is something on the table or something that is interesting to him.
Speaker 2: And I think it's I think the Trek school.
Speaker 3: I know he's on the Oriols, but I think that trade is going to shake up what teams we're thinking about doing. I think if you're on the fringe now, you look at the Dodgers getting incremently better by getting the best picture player on the market, they now get better with him being on that team. Now, if you're on the edge there, you're thinking, Okay, we can make the playoffs, but how do we stack up against this, I mean, powerhouse. There's no other way to look at it. So I just feel like that that is going to send shockwaves and I wouldn't be surprised some teams that maybe were thinking about buying they end up just staying staying put. And I don't know it's going to be an interesting twenty four or forty eight hours here, because like we've said that oriers have some pieces they can move that teams have to be interested in. And on the other side of teams not being buyers, anymore.
Speaker 2: I think when you look.
Speaker 3: At the Derek Scougole trade, you need teams that need to get incremently better. The Brewers they have to be looking at somebody like Rogers to get or the Taylor Award. There's plenty of teams that need a right handed hitting outfielder. They need to chase the Dodgers. So maybe the teams that we're thinking about not making a deal now they feel like they have to. So, but you're everybody's guests is as good as mine at this point, because it Mike really he gave some but at the same time, I feel like he made it just as foggy as it was before.
Speaker 2: He had the press conference.
Speaker 1: Before Elias is doug out press conference. I was there for that. I had a chance to interview Pete Alonzo as just me and him one on one, and I asked him, does the front office need to make a move to show support for the clubhouse?
Speaker 5: And he said no, He said they are.
Speaker 1: Support has been unwavering for us all year, and he cited the extensions of Boz and Bradish as moves they've made to support the team and its future. So maybe that was a politically correct answer. To my guy, they gave one hundred fifty five million two, But that was what he said. He also said to me it's not been a big topic in the clubhouse the deadline, and he said, keep in mind, ninety nine percent of things that are discussed never happened. Now, maybe it's not that high a percentage, but it is a high percentage. And every deadline guy's we talk about Adlie or Ward or Rogers or all these names we talked about, and then there's two or three we never talked about, yeah, that are involved in a deal. And finally, my last point deadline day last year, this is who the Orioles traded. Ramona Reus, Ryan O'Hearn, Ramon Loreano, Andrew Kittridge, Charlie Morton, Cedric Mullins. They did all that on the final day and they traded cash for dietrich Ens.
Speaker 5: It was busy, thirty.
Speaker 1: Five trades on the final day last year, and I think some people think we're headed for something similar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what it looks like to me, and it's it's I'll definitely agree with what Pete said in the clubhouse. Guys are probably looking at stuff on their own, but it's not an open discussion. You don't ever really want to go there when you're in the clubhouse. So I can definitely see where he's coming from with that, because you got to move with the guys you got. You're not gonna you're not expecting to get some you know, hero walking through the door that's gonna win you fifteen extra games here within the last two months ago. So I think it's definitely one of those things where they're looking at themselves more than anything else, and if it's gonna get turned around, they are the guys that are going to do it. So it's it's a it's an interesting dynamic because it's it's talked about everywhere, but in the clubhouse it's kind of like a taboo to kind of talk about it openly with guys. You might have a you know, a good friend on the team that you're kind of talking about it with, but outside of that, there's really no talks. It's just going out there every day and doing your business. And I know at times it can be a little maybe annoyed to hear that from the fan perspective because it's like, these guys have to be talking about it.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the day. There's really nothing they can do about it.
Speaker 3: You just got to go out there and try to win every game and prepare yourself and be ready to go that night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you're if you're the player, you got to control what you can control. You don't have, you know, any unless you're a ten to five guy where you can decline a trade that you don't have the power to decide where you're going or if you're traded or any of this. You know, Trevor Rodgers is the perfect example, and he's the guy to me that's most up in the air, and he's been very open about it. But he's just got to go out there every fifth day and put his best foot forward and see where the chips lay. But I'd have to think it still will be a weight off this clubhouse, this team when the deadline does pass and they don't have a game tomorrow. So next time we see him in action Tuesday against the Angels. You know, there's finality to all of this.
Speaker 1: The fact that the Oriols are not definitive buyers or sellers, as Elia said Friday, I think in a way maybe that's changed the dynamic. I don't know, I've been covered the Oils many years and I've been in there around this time of year.
Speaker 5: When you could feel the tension.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like wow, I can just feel, you know, And I don't feel that with this team. And maybe it's the uncertainty of it all. Who knows what's going to happen. So many guys say they want to be here, and obviously it's out of their hands. And as Brad said, you know you're discussing something you have zero control over, so it's really you're discussing.
Speaker 5: It won't change a thing.
Speaker 1: Let's talk more about Adlei Ritchman and the potential for the Oriols there at least less thing. That's what people closer than us are saying. And will that lead to action. We'll discuss that in a moment.
Speaker 6: There is one place to be on Trade deadline day watching Foul Territory, of course. Aj Perdinski, Aeric Kratz, and Scott Brawn will be live all afternoon speaking with insiders, reading tea leaves and reacting to unfolding deadline drama. Join us on the FT YouTube channel at one pm ET and stay locked in through the six pm deadline Next Monday, Foul Territory Network. It's baseball the way it should be covered.
Speaker 1: So check out the home office Foul Territory of their national show. They'll have a lot of coverage coming your way on Monday. We are very likely to have another episode of this show Monday night, sometime after the deadline, So don't go too far away from a Bergland Territory either. And if some bombshells drop between now and then, there may be some some special coverage.
Speaker 5: We'll sort it out.
Speaker 1: We're playing it by ear because no one knows when, where, how and who. We're all waiting to find out. The one trade they made, of course, was Friday Night Dan Kramer to the Twins. They got eighteen year old outfielder Jimnardo Reyes from Minnesota the Oriols. I think they're going to send him to del Marva, but he hasn't played as of Sunday yet for the Orioles organization. And we'll tell you more about him in a minute. But let's get back to Adleie Rutchman and the trade rumors here. Obviously, guys, they have two top caliber catchers, so if they trade one, you still have one that might be part of this thinking.
Speaker 5: They locked.
Speaker 1: You know, it was August last year when they locked up Besio. But then again, if something happens with the SiO an injury of Slump, now you're down to zero.
Speaker 5: All star caliber catchers.
Speaker 1: So a lot to consider here, and it just may come down to if someone bowls them over, they just might have.
Speaker 5: To do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think that's I mean, we've kind of discussed that here the last couple of weeks, but I just think of the last week and I think in my mind it's become more clear that if there is an offer out there that you have to do, you got to take it, and you gotta do it, and you got to try to maybe change some things up and kind of work towards twenty twenty seven with the group of guys that you have have some good momentum. If you make the playoffs, great, but you have some good momentum moving into the next season. To me, it just it makes sense at this point. And I'm more curious when they when they got Jake Rogers. I just hope that there's no injury concern with Sammy or Ali that there's they haven't said anything, because it just kind of I know they needed to get somebody that was more established at the big league level to help out the catching side, but to go and trade for somebody like that right before it was a little interesting to me. I know, I'm completely speculating right now, but I hope there's not more there that they might think there might be with either of those guys, because he's a pretty established player. He's been in the big leagues now, I think four or five seasons, and I think you just kind of ran out of playing time in Detroit. But I thought that was an interesting move too, because you're kind of solidifying a little bit on the catching side of things. And I don't know when Samuel or Adley's gonna come back, because they really haven't said too much about it.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, he did touch on it Friday.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah he did, and he actually was asked that question, is this acquisition and indication there are things worse? And he said no, he said, we just saw him as an upgrade. Did tell the media that Basiah was expected to start to do some throwing and some hitting and Adleie could be in rehab games this week and both were not in bad shape or at least you know, their return is an imminet, but it's not a bigger deal. So that was good news that came out of Friday. Hopefully we see one or both pretty soon. Adleie, if he's still around, could be in rehab games coming up. Tim that would be a bombshell even to me, even with these rumors of lists, they're listening, they're talking all these teams need to catch her, so many ALACE teams need to catch her.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: You trade Adli Rutchman within the division, that would be very interesting.
Speaker 4: It would be tough and gosh, I don't know anything. This is just me reading everything that's out there. I think one of these guys is gonna get dealt one of the bigger names, whether it's Adley, whether it's Jackson Holliday who his name's being brought up, which that would totally stun me.
Speaker 2: For Colden Cowser. It seems like one of these.
Speaker 4: Guys from the young core it is going to get dealt and Adley right now, there's a lot of smoke there and Steve, I just think it would be a bit of a gut punch for the fan base and every because this guy was the face of the rebuild, you know, he was Michael Isias's first draft pick. You know, when he got brought up, that's when the Orioles started winning again. You know, in May twenty twenty two, they were under five hundred at that point. They ended up finishing the season above five hundred and twenty twenty two, winning one hundred games. They went as Adley Rutchman win. But I still think if I'm taking what Jeff Passen was reporting is one hundred percent true. You know in his recent Top one hundred saying that there was virtually no chance that the Orioles and Adley Rutchman are going to agree to a contract extension. You got to trade him, you know, whether it's now or prior to opening day next year. Obviously you would get more value from him now because you would get two potential playoff runs for the team that's acquiring him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a lot to consider.
Speaker 1: A scout told me over the weekend that these teams, oftentimes it's math. They put grades on these players, future grades. They project these players out two, three, five, sometimes seven and eight years what their war might be in twenty thirty two, and they try to look at these matchups and match it up and see should we do this or not.
Speaker 5: Now. Obviously that's not exact.
Speaker 1: When you're trying to predict what a player will do four four years from now, you just don't know. But they try to do it, and that's how they add some of this up. And so maybe here's my thought. If the Orioles think Adlee Rutchman improved this year, is still not all the way to the guy we saw two or three years ago, and remember he had two bad years coming into twenty twenty six, maybe they feel like they're trading him on a high, third time, third time All Star. And again that's if this happens. So I don't think it's going on. I would still stun me to see that come across Twitter or the wire here.
Speaker 5: That's just my feeling.
Speaker 1: But maybe Tim they're looking at recent years thinking it's not Maybe he's not exactly what they thought.
Speaker 4: Well between that ste even it's unfortunate and look, and not all of this is Adley's fault, but five il stints since the beginning of last year, and yes, one of them being and he got hit in the head running the first base. That's not that's just bad luck. But I think the injury factors have to come into play. And also, guys, I don't have the numbers in front of me. I know I gave him in a prior show the amount of off days. I think he's only caught three consecutive days twice, two separate occasions this season. And look, it's worked. And they came into the season with a plan to kind of baby him a bit and keep him healthy throughout the season or try to, and he still had three il stints and I think that has to factor into the calculus.
Speaker 2: Brad, Yeah, I think so for sure.
Speaker 3: I think it's just kind of like Steve said, they have a bunch of models that they can run. And I think if it just comes down to the fact that where you think you can win a trade by trading him, it's just it's just kind of the math of it all, and that's kind of where baseball's at. And unfortunately for you know, Baltimore, it's not unfortunate, but it's just they're not one of the top markets, and sometimes you lose these guys and you just can't afford to lose a player of his caliber for kind of sense on the dollar when it's when it's all said and done, When sometimes when you got to move on.
Speaker 2: It's a tough.
Speaker 3: Decision to make, but if it makes sense for the organization moving forward, you just got to pull the trigger sometimes. And it's it's upsetting, it's it's frustrating, it's it can be all the stuff mixed in. But at the end of the day, when you're trying to have longevity and having a long time winner, you just got to unfortunately make these moves sometimes. And that's that would be the reason why I think they would do it more than anything else in the next couple of days.
Speaker 1: With Adlie Rochman. Keep in mind we're talking about the first Elias draft pick, a one to one pick. The Oils have had three of those in team history. The face of the rebuild, three time All Star, the guy they keep saying how badly they want and how much he means to the team, and yet they're open minded they say that too. So this is really an interesting time in Birdland. It's quite a quite a drop in the in the topics to go to this eighteen year old autfield. But I want to mention one thing on him real quick. The Ools did get Gymnardo Reyes, eighteen year old a ball outfielder from the Twins for Dean Kramer. He was ranked twelve by Baseball America on the Twins Prospects, twenty fourth by Pipeline, and he settled in at number twenty on the Oriel prospect list. Really good offensive numbers this year. He was one of the best players in the Florida Complex League. And so he's just getting going. I mean he's just getting to full season ball now low A and he was off to a slow start for Fort Myers. I think he's going to wind up at Del Marva. And I talked to a scout who's seen him several times this year, really likes him. He said, the Oriols won this train. He's done a huge Dean Kramer fan. Dean's had a rough year, probably going to make seven million in arbitration. He thinks the Orioles did well here without even knowing if this kid's ever going to make it. A lot of bats feed, a lot of pop exit velocities of one ten. He topped out this year like one ten plus at age eighteen. I'll see that often. So there's something to like about this young kid. But it's interesting in a trade like that, right two guys at very different levels of their careers. Makes it hard, I think for the fan base to kind of get their minds around a deal like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and especially when you take one of their five starters out of the rotation. Now you're kind of hoping Chris Bassett comes back healthy and does well, or you have Terrady.
Speaker 2: Gibson come back up or k Povich.
Speaker 3: They have options, so there's other guys that might get a shot, but it's definitely when you take one of your five starters that has been here for a while, and it's kind of like the last link, at least the generation of guys I played with.
Speaker 2: He's the last link.
Speaker 3: You know, he was in Machidad trade and it's just kind of after that, it's there's there's nobody left from back from my era. So it's kind of one of those, you know, bittersweet type of things that just happens in the game and the game moves on and it's it's but it's it's interesting getting rid of one of your five starters, and the starters have been rolling here, so be interesting to see how it plays out. But when you get a talented young eighteen year old, like you said, Steve. You never know where he's going to go in his career projections, but definitely an interesting trade.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was definitely a pretty surprise, you know, when the news broken. Look Dean, and I know he had a rough go of it in his last couple of outings, but he was a rock solid pitcher for the Orioles and I think that that should not go without being said. You know, you knew what you were getting in him. It was an era right around for every single year. He had a ton of big time moments, big time games for this club. But you understand the move and Dean, he only has one more year of club control, two so you're trying to kind of sell, you know, get maximum value for him. And this is kind of a bit of a lottery ticket for an eighteen year old kid. But a lot of people are very high on this kid. So yeahfully, you know it is able to bear fruit.
Speaker 1: So Dean projected to pitch on Tuesday night for the Orioles if he had stayed on the team. The team has not announced how they're going to handle that yet. There's several ways they could do it. They could also go with a fore man with the off day Monday and the one they just had a couple days ago and not need a fifth starter until Saturday.
Speaker 5: If they do that, that opens the door more.
Speaker 1: I think because Bassett pitch today at Triple A, he's up to sixty seven pitches, so I think they could bring him now you know, he's got eighty pitches next start. That could be enough for them to bring Bassett back for that next weekend. Or they could bring Povich, or they could bring Trey Gibson. I think that also factored in this trade of Dean Kramer. He's not pitching well for one and two. They got guys who can step right in. They're not scrambling to fill that spot right now, so we'll see how that plays out and what they do there. Any final thoughts guys before we wrap up the trade deadline Eve Show.
Speaker 3: I just had I want to congrat give some congrats to gain your canoe sign in the two year extent mentioned of seven point five million over the two years.
Speaker 2: So awesome to see.
Speaker 3: Obviously, I'm biased towards bullpen guys, I know that, but it's great seeing the guy have a bounce back and get to know where he's going to be for a couple years. Anytime you can get stability in the game of baseball, it's an amazing thing. And who knows, he might be one of the best pitchers the next couple of years, because when you know you're going to be somewhere for an extended period of time, it puts a little bit of ease on you. His name was being, you know, kind of rumored around going somewhere else. So he knows he's staying put. He gets some financial security, and he's a great He's been a great comeback story. He was an awesome story when he first came up, went through some struggles, and now just his bounce back here, I think it's been awesome. And to see them lock more guys up over years, like we've been talking about, is a great thing for this organization. So I just want to give a quick shout out to him for that.
Speaker 4: Definitely well well deserved. Well Before we run though, Brad, how was the Chris Davis Hall of Fame induction ceremony? Seeing everybody?
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, it was great. It was you know, it was like a homecoming.
Speaker 3: It was getting to see a bunch of guys that we spent so many years with and our families all know each other, our wives all know each other.
Speaker 2: So it was just.
Speaker 3: A really cool moment to get to see Chris getting in the Hall of Fame. But then it was just awesome to get everybody back together. We all talked all weekend long, how we need to make it happen more, and it's just great having friends in the game that, even though you don't see each other a lot, when you get back together, it's it's just like it's back in old times, and you know, talking about the stories. You know, we're all getting older now, so it's it's fun talking about the stories. But we got to watch a game up in cam Yards and the suits, which I never got to do, and you just you you forget how great of a ballpark that is, and it just kind of made me think about how bad I want a winner for the city of Baltimore. Just getting to see the way it is on a day and day out basis, and being down on the field again after for the first time and however many years, it was just it's awesome the electricity in that ballpark and all of us just kind of soaking it all back in to kind of celebrate Chris. It was a great time, great weekend, and thanks thanks to the Ools for inviting us all back, because that was my first Hall of Fame I've ever been to for the Oriols and it was a great experience and hopefully we get some more guys in there. He goes years goes along here.
Speaker 1: Highlight of the weekend for me, man seeing you guys in person. Was great to see Brad back at the ballpark, getting to shake Tommy Hunters and Darren Chris Buck, on and on it went.
Speaker 5: That was fantastic.
Speaker 1: The Oils do a great job with that, and as a great Hall of Fame class, you're talking about a feared slugger who was the Silver Slugger, a pitcher who was on a World Series winner, and a scout who made a lot of that happen to late Jim Russo and his son gave a nice speech in his behalf on Saturday Night.
Speaker 5: And Brett Holland or good job Hollander, another.
Speaker 1: Great job m seeing that thing for the Orioles and the ORIL advocates just put on a great show. The Hall of Fame was fantastic and people keep asking about Buck his day is coming. I guess he mustn't be eligible yet, but he'll be an easy one to get in there when his day is up, will be honoring Buck and they might blow the doors off that place that night, and you guys can all come back for that too.
Speaker 3: Brett, Yeah, that'd be great. Got he sto biggest cheers ever. Even if fourteen went to the playoffs, he got the biggest cheer. So it was great seeing him and he earned it. So it's great to hear him still get those flat cheers.
Speaker 1: I told him how much I miss him on MLB network is great coverage, man. I want to see him do more of that, but right now he's doing some other things. All right, guys, let's see what happens here. We're under twenty four hours now to the MLB trade deadline. We'll have a lot more coverage here. Check out the Foul Territory National show tomorrow and those fans please subscribe. It's free. We're closing in on a thousand help us get there. Please do that, as we said, free to subscribe to our show. We'll see you next time on Birdland Territory