Speaker 1: The Season with Peter Schrager is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio. What's Up, Everybody, Welcome to the Season with Peter Schrager. Training camps are here, all thirty two teams reporting.
Speaker 2: We've got actual football going on. And as I.
Speaker 1: Record this in Hot Balmy, New York City, Saquon Barkley will not miss a single practice of training camp because he is already there in East Rutherford signing a very rare, very interesting, one year deal despite being put on the franchise tag. I didn't even I gotta put my hand up here. I'm on Live TV when it happened. I didn't know it was even a possibility they could do that. When my co host Jamie rdaul is like, we got breaking news, Saquon's agree.
Speaker 2: To terms, I'm like a cree to terms to what I thought.
Speaker 1: It was just you can play on the franchise tag or you can sit out the season. Turns out there is a loophole and the Giants and Joe Shane found that loophole where it's a one year deal, and there's been a lot of confusion on the incentives on how.
Speaker 2: It all works.
Speaker 1: But from my understanding right now, he has to hit three different numbers tied to playoffs to hit these incentives so that he can make some sort of incentive of about three hundred thousand dollars each for the three incentives. So from what I'm gathering, and again this is in real time, if he has thirteen fifty rushing yards soud three and fifty rushing yards and they make the playoffs, he gets an extra three hundred K. If he has sixty five catches and they make the playoffs, he gets an extra three hundred K. And if he's eleven total touchdowns and the playoffs, he gets an extra three hundred K.
Speaker 2: So when it's all.
Speaker 1: Set and done for you number guys out there in Gals, Saquon has a deal with the Giants that'll be worth ten point one million guaranteed. He gets two million right up front, and then there's those incentives and get if they make the playoffs and he hits those things, so he could actually make more than what was the ten million dollar on the franchise tag that he would have played under.
Speaker 2: It's look, it's a.
Speaker 1: Couple things, and we've talked about a lot about the running back position here on this podcast. But it's not great for the position and it's not great for Saquon. But he does get to play for the New York Giants, he does get to be there at training camp, and he does ideally get to hit free agency again next year. Now they do have the right to franchise tag him again, which they might do, but at this point, he had no other options than this or just not play and not show up. And I think there's something real to Saquon and it's me coming from a very maybe Pollyanna place. Like he loves being a New York Giant. He loves seeing that every kid's wearing his jersey. He loves that he is a hero to all of these fans and is so beloved by the Giants faithful that, Like, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think he wanted to miss anything.
Speaker 1: And so at the end of the day, yeah, we can go back and say he should have accepted a contract that was offered you know that y'uring the bye week that would have paid him more. Great, he would have made a couple more million dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he would.
Speaker 1: Have been better off if he accepted their initial free agent offer before the you know, time for an extension surpassed. Yeah, he might have been better off financially, but at the end of the day, he is here and that's where he can kind of bank on that.
Speaker 2: And I think it was bleak. It was a bleak situation for Sequon. He was in a corner.
Speaker 1: And you're talking about running back zoom calls, You're talking about running back salaries just going down and down.
Speaker 2: You're talking about Dalvin Cook being a free agent.
Speaker 1: Still talking about Ezekiel Elliott being a free agent, still talking about James Robinson being signed by the Giants a couple of days ago.
Speaker 2: And it's not like Dames.
Speaker 1: James Roninson's not going to run hard and try to take all of Saquon's you know, carries an opportunities for the spotlight, while Saquon's out look not ideal for Saquon.
Speaker 2: But tip the cap to both sides for getting it done.
Speaker 1: And I got to say, Joe Shane at the end of this thing, as unpleasant as this might have been and as easy as it might have been to go a different way, you have to say that Joe Shane. You know, if there's a winner and a loser here, Joe Shane is the winner.
Speaker 2: On this one.
Speaker 1: I have to think that getting it to this point and getting Saquon in camp and not having to, you know, deal with this all summer long of where Saquon wednsdays showing up on a major win, and of course the Giants are much better team with Saquon Barkley. Real quick, some housekeeping here, thirty two teams are in camp. I work for the NFL Network, but I also work for NFL Plus. So I emailed the great producer of all the Back to Football Weekend contents, guy Mike Connor, who's excellent at what he does, and he's got this giant grid and I'm like, guy's got an idea of like who's going to be so I can mention it on the podcast.
Speaker 2: I think it is pretty cool.
Speaker 1: So everyone's going to be covered, like we're gonna hit all these different things, and it's on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday is on NFL Network and then Sunday is on NFL Plus. I will be part of that Sunday coverage. And I'm fired up because where am I.
Speaker 3: Going to be?
Speaker 2: Let's go, Oh jets, I'm there, Let's go. I will be there. I will see Rogers. I will see Sauce.
Speaker 1: I will hopefully get you guys everything you can possibly want from Jets camp. I'm so fired up to be on the grounds in Flora Park, and I think I'm gonna have access to whoever. So we'll see if I can get Rogers. If not, we'll definitely get Sala or Sauce or one of those types.
Speaker 2: But interesting assignments across.
Speaker 1: The board here, I mean, if you're interested, I can go through some of it. Saturday Lions, Jaguars, Commanders, Falcons, Saints, Chiefs, Titans, Browns, Bears where Kyle Brandt, my colleague, is going to be Panthers. Interesting to see Bryce Young. That's all gonna be Saturday morning, and then as the day kind of drifts on, it's Packers, it's Raiders, it's Broncos, it's Chargers, it's Ravens, Odell Beckaman and the Ravens.
Speaker 2: My colleague Mike Garatfala will be on the scene for that.
Speaker 1: Steelers are interesting. That's on Saturday. Bengals a little two headed monster of Tom Pella, Sero and Ian Rappaport at the Bengals camp with Joe Burrows contract Lingering Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Of course, Big.
Speaker 1: Money maker for the network and everyone knows that they're a big storyline. Chris Rose, Brian Baldinger, and Jane Slater all there. Vikings interesting. Steve Wisch and Bucky Brooks are both going to be in Minnesota. This is all Saturday on NFL Network Arizona, Indianapolis, and Los Angeles with the Rams where Andrew Siciliano and Maurice Jones.
Speaker 2: Drew will finish up the day.
Speaker 1: Then on Sunday, you wake up early, you get it on Tampa, New England Buffalo Giants where Sean O'Hara is going to be at Philly where Jamie Art all my coast from NFL Networks. Good Morning Football is going to be Houston. James Palmer going to be there, and that's an interesting one because Houston, of course has c J. Stroud, myself with the Jets, Kim Wolf with the Dolphins. Omar Rouiz and Taylor Rashatti will end the day from San Francisco and Seattle, respectively. I think it's a cool thing they do. It's a cool way to kick things off. But we're hitting all those different training camps this week on NFL Network an NFL Plus and I'm sure there will be a million storylines to come out of this. If you're gonna be at Jets camp Sunday, look for me. I'll either be wearing an NFL Plus polo shirt if I can fit in it, or I'll be.
Speaker 2: Wearing something else. We'll see. It's been a big summer for me. I've been enjoying the barbecues.
Speaker 1: And as I've mentioned, football is vac celebrate by watching as teams across the league take the field for training camp again. It's called Back Together Weekend. It's presented by YouTube, two full days of practices, player interviews, miked up moments, fan fests across the league. It's can't miss stuff. It's the NFL and we're back, and it's a reunion. The NFL Network and NFL Plus have us covered all day Saturday, July twenty ninth, all day Sunday July thirtieth, and there's also going to be covered.
Speaker 2: On ABC and ESPN.
Speaker 1: But go to NFL dot com slash Back Together Weekend for ways to watch an idea of when you should tune in for your team.
Speaker 2: All right, today's podcast. I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: It's one of my favorite guys to ever play football as a player and now he's become a friend. Super excited for this one, Ladies and gentlemen, Rob Gronkowski.
Speaker 2: So excited for this. He's a four time Super Bowl champion.
Speaker 1: He was the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year in twenty fourteen. He's a four time first team All Pro, a five time Pro Bowler. He's the NFL Receiving's touchdown later from the year twenty eleven. He was the twenty tens All Decade tight End. He's on the NFL's top one hundred anniversary All Time team.
Speaker 2: No further ado.
Speaker 1: For my money, the greatest tight end to ever play the game, mister Rob Gronkowski. Welcome to the season with Peter Schreeger.
Speaker 3: Peter Schreger. What's up, my man? How you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing good, bro.
Speaker 1: Like we're starting off right now with this podcast and training camps are opening.
Speaker 2: When you see, like even.
Speaker 1: Periphery wise on Twitter or on your TV, that guys are reporting to camp and knowing you don't have to, is that a great relief? Do you miss like the first day of camp that was fun.
Speaker 4: No, it's the best relief I can tell you that right now. I believe that training camp is too long, especially for veterans.
Speaker 3: There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 4: You're in training camp July twenty fifth, and the first game isn't until September tenth or September eighth, or or whenever that is, and for a veteran, training camp just can become drooling throughout that whole time and you're just waiting for the game.
Speaker 3: But listen to this Blaine Gabber.
Speaker 4: I was working out with him down in Florida in Tampa about two weeks ago or ten days ago, and we're hanging out, we're bsing, we're messing around.
Speaker 3: And then three.
Speaker 4: Days later, I'm on Instagram and I look at his story and it's him at training camp and this is like a week ago now, and I'm like, bro, how are you already at training camp. He's like, yo, man, we have the early game, we have the Hall of Fame game or whatever game that is, and we already reported. And my mind was just blown. I was like, oh my gosh, I'm so glad I'm not at training camp right now.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Like the Jets guys I know them well, and they're like, yeah, we've got I was still on the beach there, like, yeah, we've got practice today, like practice, Yeah, they've got the training of the Hall of Fame game, and they've got to be there early.
Speaker 4: I mean, we're dreading it right now. But if you love it, then it's great. I mean, I don't love training camp. I'm not a guy that loved training camp. I mean, I believe that training camp was like four days on hid like two days off.
Speaker 3: It's just you just beat yourself like a dead horse.
Speaker 4: You're just running into the defensive end every single day, and your head's just getting numb, your body's getting numb. And that's why I don't like training camp had just started now and then it was kind of more strategic planning, like all right, we're going to hit today hardcore and then we're going to recover for todays. We're going to just do seven on seven the next day or whatever. But it was just boom, boom boom in my head my body. It's like it's felt like I was at the end of the season when I was when I was in the middle of training camp then beginning of the season. But if you love football and you love doing that, well, then you're in the right spot.
Speaker 2: I guess. I mean, if you love it, you're gonna love, You're gonna play anyway. What's life for you like now?
Speaker 1: I think I actually I've you know, for the listeners, we really had a great time a couple of weeks ago. You're working for Fox. I know that's during the season. Like, what's a day like Rob Gronkowski. I know you've got other business ventures going on, but I think of you as one of the toughest, most all around dominant football players, none of your generation of all time. And I'm not just you know, blowing you up because you're on this I think everyone would agree that you have that. But then, okay, you're guy in your thirties now and football's in.
Speaker 2: The rear view. What's the day to day for Rob Gronkowski?
Speaker 4: Yes, Well, first off, I love to stay in shape. I love the exercise still. I've been exercising since I was a kid, and the best way to get in shape is to stay in shape.
Speaker 3: So I was.
Speaker 4: Already in top not shape after I retired, and I didn't want to lose that.
Speaker 3: So I like to run.
Speaker 4: Still about twice a week, workout lift maybe once a week, do a band workout twice a week. Maybe go do a hot yoga once or twice a week as well. I like to switch it up, you know, just to stay active. It makes me feel good. Get them dorphins going gets me going. Good night's sleep. I haven't worked out yet. Usually I love to work out before I go on podcasts because then I'm wide awake ready to talk.
Speaker 2: I was a morning You're a morning workout guy, wake up and do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but this morning I got a bad night's sleep. Last night.
Speaker 4: I woke up at like four am, and I was wide awake till like six, and then I changed my alarm to ten. I woke up and I was like, oh crap, I got the show pretty soon.
Speaker 3: But I love to stay active. I love to work out.
Speaker 4: And then just hang out and then find business ventures to do. I can't wait for the Fox season to start up and go there every Sunday, out to LA and be with the guys in the studio.
Speaker 3: That's always fun. That's such a great family.
Speaker 4: But just stay active and just hit up teammates to find partners to work out with, find friends to work out with, work out with some players still, Like I said Blaine Gabbert last week Down in Tampa.
Speaker 3: So just running around, man, it's fun.
Speaker 1: Do you miss the locker room and the camaraderie with the guys. I feel like that would be the thing I would miss the most.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what I miss And that's why I love working out and finding like workout partners.
Speaker 3: Like down in Tampa. We have a great crew.
Speaker 2: Who's the crew who still gets after it.
Speaker 4: Yes, we got like Camp Braid, Scottie Miller, Blaine Gabber, then a couple of the Lightning players. But the thing is everyone goes in, everyone comes out. There's like fifteen guys that we work out with. It's called a place called Suka, and Suka and Greek means the excellence of your body in your mind together to put you to the highest performance.
Speaker 3: And it just opened up. It's a great spot. I love it.
Speaker 4: And there's about fifteen of us that work out there. And there's a time you work out at and whoever shows, whoever shows. It's not like you know, you get beat down if you don't show, and then if you show, there's always about eight guys there.
Speaker 3: It's always a switch up. All of us are cool and it's just fun. You get that like locker.
Speaker 4: Room feel, and that's what it's about, and that's why I love doing it still.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I always loved watching you from afar when you were in New England because you had this personality and yet when it was time to work within the system of Belichick and kind of get down to the business, you got down to business and whereas dedicated to the craft and to the Patriot as anybody in an off season, you'd be like doing commercials and you'd be having fun, and you'd be at these different events and it's.
Speaker 2: Like, Okay, this guy, he gets it to turn it on and turn it off.
Speaker 1: Was that how it felt, or when you were with Belichick and it's so strict and it's so disciplined, did you feel like you can still be yourself and be authentic. It's just as not necessarily as wild crazy, but hey, I got to get down to business as football time.
Speaker 4: No, it definitely had to get down the business when it became football time. I mean, if you want to have your fun and be doing commercials, be going to a party, being all over the place, you.
Speaker 3: Have to show up. And that's what it's about.
Speaker 4: And I knew in my mind the whole entire time that whatever it was, if it was an OTA, if it was training camp during the season, that I had to show up if I wanted to keep that train going, keep that fun train going, keep those shoots going, or whatever I was doing, or go to that event. And I'm so glad I did that all, especially in my twenties. I mean to me, going to an event, going to a party. Now thirties, it's like whatever, And I'm glad I did all my twenties. When I was young, when you could wake up, you can recover from just four hours of sleep.
Speaker 3: All that.
Speaker 4: But I had to dedicate. I had to be dedicated to my craft when I was with the New England Patriots, because if I wasn't if I was showing up to practice, if I wasn't ready to go, if I was you know, missing out, misdropping balls, all that, all that bad stuff, then it would have never worked, no doubt. I would have been out of there in no time. But I always made sure I always had a strategic plan. If I was going to have some fun, go out, go do whatever, that I made sure that it fit my schedule right, that I was still ready to go when I showed up in that building.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I feel like you said, like a wiser, more more experienced Rob Gronkowski right now, like you're looking back on your younger self saying I'm glad.
Speaker 2: I did it when I did it, because I probably wouldn't want to do it now. And yet you still do the Gronk beach party at Super Bowl. You still do all these things, Like I think.
Speaker 1: It's amazing because this persona that you have as like, you know, Gronk, this fun. But then on the football field, you're an absolute badass, throwing guys around, run blocking the most like selfless thing to do. I guess that was my question, really, like the turning it on and then turning it off and then knowing that, hey, I'm doing some of the dirty work here also, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Exactly, the dirty work actually made me who I am.
Speaker 3: I believe it actually helped me out to be.
Speaker 4: The guy that I was off the field as well, because I was doing the dirty work.
Speaker 3: I'm here to do all the work.
Speaker 4: I'm here to accomplish everything I need to accomplish, no matter what it was or whatever the task was.
Speaker 3: And I'm here to be the full package.
Speaker 4: I'm not just here to go out and catch a ball, make a play, score a touchdown. I'm here to do get some blocks for the running back to open up a hole so he can run into.
Speaker 3: The end zone.
Speaker 4: And then also off the field, go enjoy my time, go to a party, go to an event, go do whatever. I was just a full, total package, Peter, and that's what's up.
Speaker 2: I love it, dude.
Speaker 1: I mean people look at you and say this great career, but you face so much adversity too because of some the body stuff and the injuries. I remember coming out of college, you didn't even play that final year at Arizona because of the injury, and then you get drafted in what the second round?
Speaker 3: I believe, Yeah, I got drafted in the second Yep.
Speaker 1: How'd you use that as fuel to kind of motivate you and inspire you? And then of course always guys coming for you in the NFL. I mean, I just remember you carrying four dudes on your back with all that, and just like you just were a gamer. How did you use the injury in college to motivate you once you got to the pros?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: You know, once I dropped in the second round.
Speaker 4: I remember I didn't get drafted in the first round. I was really disappointed. I was pissed off, you know, like I wasn't in the best mood. And then I can tell you this, once I got drafted in the second round, all that went away. I didn't care anymore. I was just so glad that I accomplished my dream. Why would I be pissed off I didn't go in the first round when I just got drafted in the NFL in the second round, you know, coming off of a season where I didn't even play in college. I was it was one of the best moments of my life, if not the best moment of my life when I got drafted. And then therefore I that motivation of not getting picked the night before, I didn't really care. I was just so happy I was picked in the second round. I was just so glad I was just picked, you know, in the NFL draft, just overall. And then from there I just knew I didn't really have any motivation because of that, Oh I wasn't a first rounder. It was like, all right, it's time to show them what's up. Like I have that motivation to be great now, you know, to fit in the locker room, to get that respect for my teammates.
Speaker 2: You had a great rookie year.
Speaker 1: You had three touchdown catches against the Steelers in a game I remember. But then I go to the postseason twenty eleven. You guys are playing t Bow and the Broncos, and you guys just blow them out in a Saturday night game, and that was, to me, your big coming out party. You had three touchdown pass catches, you had ten catches, one hundred.
Speaker 2: And forty five yards. Do you remember that as like the coming out party.
Speaker 1: Okay, Saturday night game, everyone's in t bow Mania and we're going to go kick the crap out of them.
Speaker 3: It was kind of the coming out party in the playoffs.
Speaker 4: I mean prior to that year, I already had eighteen touchdowns in the regular season, so I was kind of a little bit known going into the playoffs. But then it was the coming out party at the after party, which was the playoffs, baby, and that just shows I can last all night long.
Speaker 3: I can last, baby, And that's what it was.
Speaker 4: The playoffs equals the after party, and I showed up performed three touchdowns. I remember that game too, t ten catches. I remember my last catch was down the sideline. It was like the fourth quarter. We were already blowing them out and Tom called a fade I'll split out wide and he threw like another like twenty five yard thirty yard bomb to me all the way out there on the fade route.
Speaker 3: I caught it for my.
Speaker 4: Tenth catch, did like the first down signal, acting all all cocky and everything. It was just a great game overall, and it was just great to beat those Broncos at the time with Tiba, with Tibo on the squad as well, you know, all that hype they were having, and we just took them down. I think we won like forty five to seven or something from that game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, forty five to ten. It was. It was a great game. It was unbelievable. I loved it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's like, do you think about these guys, like, do you if I named a game? Could you kind of do that with your mind? A lot of these guys got like McVeigh. We talked to him and it's like, hey, can you this play? And it's like yes on this third down. I remember when we were talking in La a couple of weeks ago. I'm like, I remember a Steelers game the Jesse James game with a touch on. You're like, yep, I remember that entire last drop. Do you have that memory too, where it's like I can bring up a random game You're like, yeah, I remember that, and here's what happened. Here was the storyline going in or is it just those big special moments.
Speaker 3: I would probably say about seventy five percent of them I remember.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I talked football with some people I don't remember, but I mean I played so many games, I think like one hundred and forty games right around there in the regular season, so in cleaning playoffs, I think I played around like one hundred and fifty five games. But I remember about seventy five percent of them, especially when someone like you brings up the analogy of the game of what happened, and that's that's triggering back in my mind.
Speaker 3: Of oh yeah, yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 4: So sometimes I can't bring it up, but someone else brings it up, it starts clicking again.
Speaker 3: But I do remember most of them, but not all of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, so you get started. You're losing that Super Bowl to the Giants. You guys are are kind of bouncing into the playoffs and losing to the Ravens a couple of times, and then finally you do get.
Speaker 2: A Super Bowl ring.
Speaker 1: Take us through your first Super Bowl ring experience and what you remember from that afternoon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a great experience.
Speaker 4: I remember my first Super Bowl actually was one of the worst experiences because I got my ankle blown out versus a Baltimore Ravens in the third quarter.
Speaker 2: But remember the storyline was like, is Groc gonna play? Is Groc on a plane? You played?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I played, But it was the worst week man, because you're supposed to be there and join the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: I was just rehab.
Speaker 4: I was like hiding out in my hotel room. It just didn't go as I planned, and it wasn't as fun.
Speaker 2: Indianapolis, right, That's where that super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was an Indianapolis.
Speaker 4: It just, you know, wasn't how I expected it to be, especially with the injury that I only played like twelve plays in the game. And I feel like, if I could go back, obviously I would have done things differently to prepare for the game to get my ankle ready. But you live and you learn, Baby, you can't go back and regret anything.
Speaker 3: You live and you learn.
Speaker 4: Peter and then finally it got to the super Bowl versus Seattle, and I was like, all right, this is a game changer. This is a different story. Now I'm healthy. We just want we're going to the super Bowl. I think we absolutely dominated the Colts in the prior game, in the AFC Championship game, I'm pretty sure, Like I think that's when the deflay gates started because we absolutely destroyed them. So they had a makeup excuse like we ran the ball forty times, we had like three hundred and fifty yards rushing, and Gerrick Blunt had like four touchdowns versus of them, and then they were just embarrassed.
Speaker 3: So they had, you.
Speaker 4: Guys go to seven, No, forty five to seven, even worse than the Denver Broncos game and a couple of years before. But and then I was like, all right, clean slate, going to the super Bowl. This is what it's all about. I need to get into the super Bowl club.
Speaker 3: That's what it's all about. My career will be set if I get one.
Speaker 4: I was happy. I was like, I'm good to go. If I ever get traded, if I get hurt again, whatever, I have a super Bowl. And that week just that whole Super Bowl experience. It was in Arizona, way better than Indianapolis. Just overall, just everything went smoothly, went to the game, and it couldn't have been a better game, man. I mean, it was a amazing shootout. Everyone contributed. I had a touchdown. I had about I think six catches for sixty eight yards. Julian contributed, Amandola contributed, We all contributed, the running backs. It was like a team game. We all did our part. And then obviously with Malcolm Butler ceiling the deal at the end of the game with that game winning interception. You couldn't have drawn up that game any more pitcher perfect than what it came out to.
Speaker 3: So where were you and that?
Speaker 1: I always see the footage of Jimmy and Brady and Mike Gavardi who is the old PR guy, all on the sidelines, and that's a famous clip of Brady like just being shocked and Jimmy and him embracing. Where were you during that the Malcolm Butler pick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was just on the bench and I was basically like a couple of benches over. You know, the quarterbacks, all the big time guys, you know, they have their own little bench over to the side, Thank you, Dad. The big time guys, the cameras all on them, and I'm doing the same thing as them. But I'm not a big time guy, you know. I'm just a guy that does the dirty work. I blocked, make holes for the running back, catch a pass, catch a touchdown, for time wherever he throws the ball, and make him look good.
Speaker 1: So them.
Speaker 4: So I'm over on the bench all the way to the right and I'm just sitting there and I just I'm just like, our defense is going to come through.
Speaker 3: I knew it.
Speaker 4: I was saying that from the time I had conference that our defense was was going to come through. But then they started driving down the field. I'm like, maybe maybe our defense isn't.
Speaker 3: Going to come through. And then they keep driving.
Speaker 4: I'm like, man, They're just chunk plays all over the play and then they get down to like the ten yard line, and I'm like, I still have some belief, but I might not have some.
Speaker 3: Belief because I didn't want to be wrong.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh, And then I was like, but I still have beliefs something's going to happen.
Speaker 3: Something's going to happen, fumble or something. And then Malcolm Buter just came through. I remember I was just sitting on my chair.
Speaker 4: I just jumped up in excitement like it was a it was a feeling of undescribable because it's just like you felt like you were just floating when that happened.
Speaker 3: Getting my first Super Bowl ring, seeing.
Speaker 4: With that play going down unreal surreal experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, an unbelievable one.
Speaker 1: And then obviously you guys have that offseason and then to get back there a couple of years later, and I know, you think about twenty eight to three. Everyone talks about that so much. Obviously you didn't have the fondest memories of that.
Speaker 2: Super Bowl Like how do you look at that Super Bowl win?
Speaker 4: You know something, I didn't actually play in that game, but I was on the sidelines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so like, how do you how do you look at it when everyone's like, oh, twenty eight to three the greatest, whenever you're like, well, I actually was hurt, you know.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, you know you know something that actually it stings a little bit. But at the same time, you know, I said to myself, I'm going to use this as motivation, like and like it was fine. I was like I did my part that year when I was on the field. But listen to this. I was in training camp that year. I was unstoppable. Bro I'm talking two guys around me, three guys. I was running by everyone. It was gonna be my best season ever, and it really was.
Speaker 3: Peter. Here we go.
Speaker 4: So I'm in training camp and then it's versus the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 3: They come in. They're in training camp and I pull my hamstring and it.
Speaker 4: Was the first time I ever pulled the muscle, and I felt to come in and just you know, I tried going higher and it popped.
Speaker 3: And it was a tough situation. I'm talking.
Speaker 4: I was fifteen days straight. No one could stop me, no one. I'm talking like. It was unbelievable how much fire I was on. So then I blow out.
Speaker 3: I'm almost back, I'm getting back.
Speaker 4: I blow out my hamstring again, kind of, I tear it again a little bit like no one knew. Like two weeks later, because I'm trying to come back. I'm out in the field like running rounds. So then I finally get it healed. About week four, I go out. This is when Jimmy is the quarterback Stale because Tom was suspended from the Indianapolis Colts, the flake Gate thingy that they came up with because we beat him so bad in the playoffs. And then and then it was I go in, my hamstring is still a little messed up, Like it was so bad, Like they tried throwing me a route in the middle of the game and it was just like I was running one mile prour. And then I was like, my hamstring needs like one more week. And then kaboom, like it kicked in. And then all of a sudden, Tom is back too, and Tom and I if in those four in those five games I played, I literally was on fire.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 4: Once again, I left off where I was in training camp, and I'm five hundred and fifty yards in four games I have.
Speaker 3: I know I'm on fire. Bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're twenty one yards per reception that season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no one can do that. That's incredible, dude. And if you and I was going to hit a thousand yards in like ten games, I was on fire. I was like, no one stopped me, No one stop.
Speaker 3: So then what happens?
Speaker 4: I go, So I'm doing my part already this year. You know Martellus Bennett, he's on the team now. He's the first year. I'm showing the way, like this is how we grind, this is how we get it done. And then I go up to Seam versus Seattle Seahawks again Thomas, Earl Thomas.
Speaker 3: Tom throws me.
Speaker 4: A pass, I put my hand out versus Camp Champs or he's guiding me. So you got the two harriers hitting safeties in the game over the last ten years. I probably say over the last two decades, there's a couple, but I put them up in the top five.
Speaker 3: Earl Thomas may be number one.
Speaker 4: And I reach out and I'm not looking at Earl Thomas, and he gets a full steam of speed and just levels me full speed, dude, And I'm not even looking like you know. It was a clean hit, no doubt.
Speaker 3: It was a clean hit.
Speaker 4: And I got up, man, and I couldn't breathe. The wind was knocked out of me, and I went to the huddle. Blood was coming out of my mouth. I didn't even say anything. Later that day. The next day, I had a punctured lung and it was shooting blood all up in my mouth. So then I had to take off a week and I try to come in back. I'm like I can't move still. But little did I know, he freaking popped a disc.
Speaker 3: Out on my back as well.
Speaker 4: HEARDing a disk and then I had to go out end of the season. Right there, I had to get the surgery. My disc was popping out, So that's why I didn't play in the Atlanta game. There was a disappointment because I don't think there would ever needed a come back because I was on fire that year so much that we were just going to be rolling. And we had the two tight ends set with Marty B and I love too tight and set. You cannot stop two tight ends in the NFL. If you have two legit tight ends, it's impossible.
Speaker 1: Let me ask about Marty B. We've had Marty B on Good Morning Football million times. I find it to be one of the most curious personalities in a good way. I find him to be so unique one of one. And then of course he's got a brother who's also a big personality.
Speaker 2: But Marty B special. You two together and I'll tight ends room. What was that like? You know?
Speaker 4: It was, like I said, it was kind of like winning the Super Bowl. But it was a little disappointment at the same time because we wanted to play together.
Speaker 3: We were having such a great year. We were with the Red.
Speaker 4: Zone Force and training camp that year where everyone was trying to stop us. No one could stop us. He had personality. I had personality. But when he came to the Patriots, he saw how we worked, he saw how we got it done.
Speaker 3: And that's what was so great.
Speaker 4: I felt like we were elevating each other's games and we were.
Speaker 3: We complimented each other very well.
Speaker 4: If you go look at his stats as well, in those four games that I played, he was having three touchdown games.
Speaker 3: He had three touchdowns in the Cleveland game.
Speaker 4: When I first got back to the first game, I had one hundred and twenty yards. The next game, I'm having one hundred and twenty more yards. He's having a touchdown. I'm having a touchdown. We were combining for like remember that we were talking twenty one yards per catch, five hundred and fift yards and four games. I think we had eight hundred yards total in four games together, and like in like eight touchdowns.
Speaker 2: I love this. I love how passionate you are. Do you remember it?
Speaker 1: And it's like it's a s great like no one ever looks back. It's like I remember Marty being gronk that season because it just whatever, but like you.
Speaker 4: Remember it, you know, Yeah, And it's just a little disappointment that I got hurt.
Speaker 3: Man, It's just he got hurt.
Speaker 2: You got hit hurt. It this get your vomiting up your lungs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a little disappointment because we would have had Marty b and I, we would have dominated. We were dominating and uh. And like I said that, I missed the Super Bowl as well, but you know, I wasn't gonna let that hinder me.
Speaker 3: Man. It was the situation I was in, and I was glad that we won a super Bowl.
Speaker 4: I got my second ring, and you know, I was just glad that I got to show like the best of myself that year to kind of amp up the guys, you know, to show what kind of standards that we have, you know, throughout training camp and when I was back in the field for those games, and then I just said to myself, I have to win another one if I want this this super Bowl to count. I said this to myself, I want the land of super Bowl to really count. If I really own the land of super Bowl and show the ring off, I have to win one more, because then I can walk around and say, yes, I have three Super Bowls and.
Speaker 3: Be confident about it and be proud of it, because.
Speaker 4: If yeah, I got two and I didn't play in Atlanta, like I need to win one more. And then we beat the Los Angeles Rams, right the Los Angeles Rams their first year or second year, they were Los Angeles Rams. And then that's when I was like, all right, mission complete.
Speaker 3: I got three super Bowl right now.
Speaker 1: And you made the biggest catch of that game. I think Jewles might have been MVP in that game, but that catch was you at the end. I mean, that's what great is looking for.
Speaker 3: Jewles dominated that game.
Speaker 2: He did. He did before we get there, though you lose to the Eagles.
Speaker 1: And we're not going to talk about the Philly Special and all that because it's whatever. But what's fascinating to me is in the story has come out since and I don't know if you've ever spoken about it publicly, they tried trading you to the Lion, Like, what was the story with the trade of the Lions that offseason? Because here you are, this Patriots legend coming off an amazing season and unbelievable Super Bowl all this stuff, and then the story like two years later came out that the Lions tried trading for you and then you vetoed it.
Speaker 2: Can you tell us what exactly?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I mean we were kind of having some disconnect between myself the organization.
Speaker 3: It was kind of like mayhem a little bit. Maybe I handled myself a little a little wrong. Maybe if I could go back, I would have done it differently.
Speaker 4: But we'll just say this overall in the end that whoever I got traded to, I was going to retire. Like it didn't matter if it was a Lion, you.
Speaker 2: Were vetoing it regardless, it wasn't a.
Speaker 4: Lion, I was doing it regardless. So I was kind of being a little bit and then Bill was like, all right, let's get this out of here. And then I was like, oh, the ain't playing no more though, so I was amping it up even more. At the moment, I want to say, I wouldn't say. That's kind of being like a I would say more. I didn't want to say, but uh but uh. And then I was like, ah, how can you trade me? I'm retired? And then they're like and then everyone took it away, like oh, oh, he doesn't want to go to the Lions, like, oh, Detroit, f Detroit, and everyone was coming at me. All the Detroit fans were like, oh, how do you not like Detroit all this too? And I was like, no, it's just in back of my mind. I was like, no, it was just it was just that I just wasn't going to get.
Speaker 2: Traded Patriots or nothing at the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Patriots or nothing.
Speaker 4: I go, we got to win one more Super Bowl if I go.
Speaker 2: So how'd you guys?
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously, how'd you guys repair all that? Because you go and you do win that other Super Bowl and you do come and play the clutching, So like that season has to be a little awkward, or is it just this is business is business?
Speaker 2: Footballs football, business is business.
Speaker 4: Football's football still showed up, did my thing, and we won the Super Bowl that year. I knew it was one of the best decisions, you know. I was so glad I vetoed that trade. And uh football, you know, football is football and business is business.
Speaker 3: You know, you get over that quick man. In this world, I mean.
Speaker 4: Football, the football world, I would say, is one of the kind It's not like being out there in the normal business world. It's still it's still the only place where it can be like that old school mentality, you know what I mean, and then when things don't go right, well, guess what, move move the f on things need to and get it right, you know, And that's what we did.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 1: It's a great message to some of these younger guys too, because I think we all try to put it into like.
Speaker 2: All right, well, in the media world or in the business world.
Speaker 1: It's it's one of one football like, it doesn't make sense in a lot of ways in a lot of these running backs right now. I feel for them, but it's also, yeah, it sucks, but that's what it is. You get to play football too, you know.
Speaker 4: Yep, yeah, exactly, man, I agree, man, I mean it's a little bit different with these younger guys now. I mean that's why I love football so much too, because it's the only it's literally the only place in the world I would say, is where it's if you're just not good enough at your job, you're gone and there's no other excuses. You can't shoe them. You can't, you know, cause havoc. It's you're just not good enough. You're gone. You know what I mean, there's no other controversy with it.
Speaker 2: It's the great equalizes.
Speaker 1: They're also it's like coaches don't care about necessarily what you look like, where you came from, what college you went to, what size you are. If you're going to give us the best chance to win, you're gonna be on the field.
Speaker 3: Yes, And that's why I love football all because of that.
Speaker 4: And I believe then I treat football like I do in the business world now, Like I just that's like, I.
Speaker 3: Look who the head coaches, the head coach.
Speaker 4: I compare like who the CEO that's the head coach, or that's the owner, and then the people that are working undneath them. I'm like, all right, that's Julian as the wide receiver.
Speaker 3: That's me as the tight end. I just compare football to everything. Now. I love it.
Speaker 2: Real quick.
Speaker 1: A couple of things before we let you go, Brady calls you out of retirement. Was that all along and like the back of your head or was that one of those where one day you woke up and you're like, yeah, I'll come to Tampa, let's do it.
Speaker 4: No, it was I kind of when I retired, I was a little beat up, and I knew the only way to get back to kind of myself is to get away from football.
Speaker 3: I didn't really want to retire. I just wanted to get away from football and I at.
Speaker 4: The moment, and I knew that the only way to do that was to retire, Like and I knew.
Speaker 3: It, and I needed a year off.
Speaker 4: And I was like, Okay, so if I take a year off and I don't retire, that's just going to be just havoc on myself.
Speaker 3: Why aren't you coming back all that? I was like, I'm just going to retire.
Speaker 2: Join us at Fox.
Speaker 3: Yeah, join you guys at Fox.
Speaker 4: And the back of my mind I knew I was like, if I had the right opportunity, I'm going to go back and play football.
Speaker 3: But if I don't, then I don't, you know.
Speaker 4: But it was more on that side that I wanted to go back and play and try a new experience, you know, and see what the situation was.
Speaker 3: And the right situation had to come up.
Speaker 4: And little do we know, a year later, look at that situation that came upon us, and that's when I was like, how can I pass up on that?
Speaker 3: Like it's a new opportunity.
Speaker 4: My mom lives in Florida, two hours away from Tampa. I always go down to Florida. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers. I mean, I wrote an article about them when I was in college. I wanted to play in Tampa Bay for many reasons, and little did I know it came true freaking ten years later, which is great. I mean, no, like twelve years later, which is great. And it was just the right situation. I wasn't going to come out of retirement for just any old situation. That was the right situation, and I definitely felt like I made the right choice for sure.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting Brady's now out of football for the first time in my career, my professional life. I was in college when Brady was in college. It's kind of crazy. And now he's not playing this year, and it's so Brady. You consider him big brother, friend, mentor.
Speaker 2: Like when you hear Brady and I know, it's he's so much older than all these guys now. But it's a pretty cool guy too.
Speaker 3: He's great man.
Speaker 4: I love Tom, but I would consider all of those in the category. He's ABC and d mentor friend.
Speaker 3: He's kind of like daddy.
Speaker 4: You know, Daddy, what do we do here? And then like it's just a mentor is a game to you, and then he's your friend at the same time. So he's everything. Man, He's he's just a great guy overall. He's a great family man. It's just incredible just to see how great of a daddy is in real life to his kids while you know, being like a dad to all of.
Speaker 3: Us at the same time.
Speaker 4: So it's just an incredible job that he has done. And that's why I was such a great situation to go down the temple with him and and feel like, you know, he felt more comfortable too with myself going down. You know, imagine that you go to a new place and you have your your number one guy that you can just throw past to. You know, it just makes you feel more comfortable and more confident. So and we love Tampa, man. I love that front office in Tampa. Man, Jason Lay, Mike Greenberg, all of those guys, Many Greeny, They're they're fricking They're hilarious.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: I love I loved them and they always came out to practice and made me laugh and get me through practice every day.
Speaker 3: I loved it.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 1: We love those guys too, light, Greeny, Spy tech, Jackie Davidson, that whole crew. Like, they've got a great group there in Tampa. I know you're gonna be going in a little bit so real rapid fire stuff. First one, uh, cooler hang like when you're out at night, like who's who'd you rather?
Speaker 2: Is it Edelman or is it Brady? Like who's the guy you want to be with in the club?
Speaker 4: Well, definitely I would have to go with Edelman because I don't even think Tom's.
Speaker 3: Going to make the club.
Speaker 4: So seven is that Yeah, he's not making it to the club. So if I picked Tom, I'll just be there by myself.
Speaker 2: That yeah, Okay, that was that one.
Speaker 1: Tampa Bay Post, Brady Post, Gronk post all this this Baker could still be good.
Speaker 4: What do you think I think he'll I mean they got a good offense. They got a lot of weapons around them. I mean, with that new with that running back is going to be second year, then Evans, yeah, Rashad White, then Mike Evans, Chris Godwin.
Speaker 3: I mean, they got weapons.
Speaker 4: Mean, Mike Evans is one of the most underrated receivers in the NFL history, and he's had a thousand yards every single year. But I think he I think he does like decent, a little bit above average. You know, he's gonna it's going to extend his career a little bit. It's gonna maybe make him a starter I think for about three more years.
Speaker 3: But uh, he'll have.
Speaker 4: A decent year, but it's not going to be in a great year, but it's going to be a year where it solidifies him as being an NFL starter.
Speaker 3: Still.
Speaker 1: Last one, Jimmy Graham, as we're doing this recording, announced that he's returning to the NFL.
Speaker 2: Or he's been in the NFL.
Speaker 1: He hasn't retired, but at thirty six, is signing with the Saints two years away. Your advice to Jimmy Graham on his quest to get back.
Speaker 3: That's wild, man.
Speaker 4: That was mind blowing when you sent me that text message this morning.
Speaker 3: Thank you for breaking the news to me, Peter.
Speaker 4: But the reason why I can see this work for sure is because Jimmy Graham is a basketball player.
Speaker 3: He has a basketball background.
Speaker 4: And let me tell you, those basketball guys with basketball background they last forever. There's something just different built in them. It's just because of the way that they've been running around their whole life. I feel like they stay in shape for longer periods of time than football players, and having that basketball background, I feel I can make them last for a long time. And he must have been doing something right over the last two years as well that wants that is making him get back to the game. So I would just say the hitting aspect, I'll just get used to the hitting aspect in training camp and get some time off.
Speaker 3: You're thirty six years old.
Speaker 4: Get a day or two off so you can recover from all that, and I'll go out there and do your thing.
Speaker 3: Jimmy.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're not coming back because you don't think you can do it. Obviously you think you can do it, and that's why you're coming back.
Speaker 3: So do your thing. Man, be cheering for you. Man.
Speaker 4: It's kind of a little situation I kind of went through. But he did two years off, so maybe I'll do two years off now. They might be inspiration for me. So if he does well, I'm only thirty four, I'll be thirty five next year.
Speaker 3: After years, let's go. Let's go, Jimmy.
Speaker 4: Let's see what you got.
Speaker 1: My last one, we were at this big Fox event and everyone has to come in and take photographs. And it's one of these deals where it's like you see in these music video shoots where it's manufactured. There's like a fake wind machine and they're like, here, hold this football, and there's dance music going.
Speaker 2: There's this promo shooting.
Speaker 1: The energy was all right, and we're all going one by one and you know, Michael Vick is going up there, I'm going up there, and then.
Speaker 2: Chris is going up there.
Speaker 1: We bring it, We do our best, and you know, it's Glazer, it's everybody. And then there's this moment where you go up there and it's like all right, ground go and I see a different side of you, and it's like the lights are on and you're able to turn it on and you're the most charming guy to everybody in that room, and it's like the camera can't escape you, and I'm like, holy.
Speaker 2: In that moment, I'm like, that's it. That's the quality. That's what makes this guy so special. He's got this ability to just bring everybody in.
Speaker 1: I was in awe of watching you just having to like be gronk and it's I don't know if it's exhausting being that way every day.
Speaker 2: But it's authentic, man, it is you. What do you attribute that to?
Speaker 1: That ability to make everyone else feel great and to kind of just bring energy and happiness enjoying what you're doing.
Speaker 4: Peter, when the lights go on, I'm always ready baby. When it's showtime, one of his game time, I'm always.
Speaker 3: There, baby. And that's why Tom loves me. He always knows he can go to me, baby.
Speaker 4: Everyone knows they can go to me. That's why Fox call me because they know when that camera light switches on, we're live on air, the Gronk.
Speaker 3: Is gonna show up, baby, And that's what's up.
Speaker 1: I mean serious, Like if I'm a brand and I'm looking at all these different options, like I saw it in and like, I guess the USA has done stuff with You've done stuff with all these brands for years, But.
Speaker 3: Are you gonna turn it on? Peter By the I'm.
Speaker 2: Telling you, bro, it was like watch it.
Speaker 1: I'm like, Okay, that's star quality. And I'm not knocking any of our colleagues, but it was like, Oh, that's Gronk, and I'm telling you that's that's natural.
Speaker 4: Everyone was acting like they were two big time for it. I was like but also I knew it was gonna be like three minutes. That's what's great about it. I was like, Okay, we got three minutes. I'll give them my best shot. That's why I love Fox too. It's like there's no BS downtime or sit around time. It's like when we're on, when we're on, when we're off, we're off. And I was like, all right, well, three minute photo shoot, I'll give you my best. Usually my photo shoots when i'm doing them for a brand or a company, the three four hours, so then that can get a little tighter.
Speaker 3: And I was like, three minutes. I'll give it my all, baby, let's go.
Speaker 2: There's so many jokes we can make. Gronk on that note.
Speaker 4: I gotta go get my girlfriend. I gotta go drive to a train station right now.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm doing.
Speaker 4: You asked me the first question, what am I doing? Am I?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: Am I downtime? Now I gotta go.
Speaker 3: Pick her up at the train station.
Speaker 1: Send our love to Camille. I love the fact that you joined the podcast. Bro, You're a great guest and a great dude. Thank you so much for joining.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Peter, Thanks thanks for having me. Man I'll see you f Fox this year. We're going to have a great time this year.
Speaker 2: To you as soon. Brother, there's Gronk. I mean, that's the Gronk experience. That was awesome.
Speaker 1: Forty minutes, a ton of energy, stories, vulgarity, tenderness. I'm bringing in our producer, Grace fuse Grace. You are in for Aaron Wang Kaufman, who is world traveling at the start of training camps. Not ideal for an NFL podcast producer. You are at work today, How are you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm good? How are you great?
Speaker 1: What did you think of the Rob Gronkowski experience we just endured.
Speaker 5: I thought he was hilarious. I loved it so many highlights.
Speaker 2: Great, right, and that's him, Like, that's authentic.
Speaker 1: It's not like he suddenly becomes like a bookish like like, Okay, I'm just going to be rude to people like he's that way, And I think that authenticity is so real and I so appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Absolutely great vibes.
Speaker 1: He did mention he wrote an article in college about wanting to be a Tampa Bay buccaneer. I know you're very good in research. Do you have the microfiche out? Have you found said article that.
Speaker 5: What do you think he I think he meant paper. I actually I did do some searching. I tried to find the Gronk article. I did not find anything.
Speaker 1: So I'm ordering the Arizona school paper. It's the University of Arizona. Question, that's the school paper. The school paper is the Daily Wildcat. Wow, I think he probably.
Speaker 2: Meant a paper.
Speaker 5: I think he meant a paper. Yeah, I'm curious what class would be relevant for that, but I really hope that he has it in his file somewhere.
Speaker 2: And this is the best part about the season. He tells an amazing story about Earl.
Speaker 1: Thomas, you know, Hernie, eating his disc and puncturing as long. He gives us really good insight on what it was like, you know, going to a contract negotiation with Belichick. And yet the whole time, in the back of my mind, I'm like, what is he talking about? That he wrote a paper that he wanted in college about wanting to be.
Speaker 2: A teddy buccaneer. I gosh, I would love.
Speaker 1: To find out if he meant article paper mentioned it once or I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, but that is uh, that is awesome.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited, so Grenk's gonna be taking on a bigger role with Fox NFL Sunday. He did a lot at the end of the season last year. And I'm telling you it's like I wasn't yes sing when I said that great, Like, he just has this amazing electricity to him.
Speaker 2: And you know those people in the world that like you're in the room, like, oh, I get it. Absolutely, he's got it.
Speaker 1: You've got it too. That was a good contribution just now. Absolutely, I was waiting for you to have this prop prophetic.
Speaker 2: No, I'm sorry, I didn't have anything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's super cool.
Speaker 2: He's cool guy, cool guy.
Speaker 1: This podcast was awesome. We are excited to be back most of us. Aaron, I'll get back next week. I'm just busting chops. Grace, great job as always. I know you've been working on this podcast for a while.
Speaker 2: It's cool to have you on the mic. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Always fun to you know, be here for the for the recording.
Speaker 2: Let's go on behalf of Grace myself, Jason Ing.
Speaker 1: She was also listening in and all the NFL network folks, and of course our guest who was awesome, Rob Gronkowski. We'll be with you guys next week. I hope you enjoyed this episode of the Season with Peter Schrager. Tell your friends, subscribe, let's get some listener numbers up, and let's blow this thing out this season till next week.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: The Season with Peter Schrager is a production of the NFL and partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, wherever you get your podcasts.