Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be. But understanding of professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure, one hundred percent. Let's do this.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about some financial topics before we get into yours. So I want to show this clip about bitcoin fraud that's been happening with ATM machines. Can we show this clip please?
Speaker 4: You are watching a victim get scammed so.
Speaker 2: Much money you haven't already sense of the ten.
Speaker 4: Thousand, one of thousands of Americans caught in a growing global crime spree. That's no secret police what.
Speaker 5: They tell you to take any podcasts, get flangle, please the phone, Okay, you're not.
Speaker 4: In all of these cases, these machines called crypto ATMs become the getaway car for the scammers who pray on victims like Gus case.
Speaker 6: That's where I stuff ten hundred dollars bills. They would prompt you for everything and come up. And I had him on the phone too.
Speaker 5: Had you ever seen this before? Never been here before, never been here.
Speaker 4: After this happened as he was recovering from a stroke.
Speaker 5: I got a phone call. Well, he told me he was president of the bank. And so now you tell me. I want you to swear that you're not a scam. I swear I'm not a scam. You know all that. He convinced me. He was good. He was good.
Speaker 4: A scammer told Gus that he would be arrested unless he withdrew fifteen thousand dollars in cash and deposited it in that crypto ATM. It looks like a normal ATM, but a crypto ATM is different. Put in cash and it converts it into cryptocurrency in an instant. The FBI says victims like Gus have lost about two hundred and forty million dollars so far this year, double the pace of last year.
Speaker 5: I should have known better. I should have known better. I was stupid enough.
Speaker 4: I failed for the scammer took off with Gus's cash in the form of cryptocurrency, but the crypto ATM company also made money from the transaction in the form of fees and markups, often at twenty to thirty percent that they charge on transaction. Scam or legit. Lawsuits from Attorney's General accused the top three crypto ATM firms of profiting from scams and not protecting customers. When police seized the scam cash out of ATMs, the crypto ATM companies hit back hard in court to get that cash back, which is what happened to GUS.
Speaker 6: Cops went and got it that night. They took to they going on a machine and took out fifteen thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: They held on to it.
Speaker 4: Bitcoin Depot, the company with the most crypto ATMs in the US, fought in court to get the fifteen thousand dollars back, and one.
Speaker 6: Bitcoin had no buenness getting that money at all. I mean, really, when, especially when it's a scam, you think that's fair, well, hell no.
Speaker 4: The company points out its machines, like many crypto ATMs, have multiple onscreen warnings, alerts of scams, and requires that customers agree that they're only sending money to their own accounts. Bitcoin Depot also told CNN, we do not profit from scams, and the vast majority of our customers use our kiosk for lawful purposes. The company adds, if it can't stop the transaction, it reviews every potential scam case individually for possible fee relief or refunds.
Speaker 3: All right, so you know this is interesting, Hey bigcoin on the it's interested on a few different levels. If you follow the bigcoin bull bear cycle, we're at the tail end of this bull run. If history would repeat itself, why do you say that shot? Well, chat GBT says it. But if you go by the amount of time that a bull run lasts, for this bull run will be over fourth quarter of this year or first quarter of next year. So we're at the tail end and you start to see. One of the signs of seeing the tail end is when you start to see scams pick up dramatically. And they said, like, this is the highest level of scams that we've seen in bitcoin ever, I think it's almost twice is what it was last year. But this is a questionary tale for people just in general as far as what artificial intelligence has done now is is made it easier to scam people.
Speaker 7: And to be clear, you're not saying bitcoin is a scam because I don't want them clip that.
Speaker 2: Up in No, No, I'm not saying bitcoin is a scam.
Speaker 3: I'm saying that it can be used as a shield to facilitate to facilitate a scam. And so these people, you know a lot of elderly people, but it could happen to anybody. You know, they saying, okay, like go to the ATM machine, give the ATM machine the money. So if you see, I'm pretty sure you people everybody has seen bitcoin ATM machines for sure, and that's the way to actually put physical cash into a into a machine, send bitcoin to somebody. But now the bigcoin ATM machine is like, now we're not it's your fault, like we're not going to give you the money back, like just because you got scammed, like you know, like we make you read everything on this, make sure you know who you're sending into another thing about crypto once you have it.
Speaker 2: The meet before I've sent crypto, I missed one letter. You can't.
Speaker 3: There's no customer service number. There is no recourse to get your money back.
Speaker 2: That's why sit bank.
Speaker 3: I think that they said that they're going to start holding bitcoin for people, uh starting next year, and like we already have either we already have bitcoin ets. Now the next thing is that banks are going to start to be custodians of people's bigcoin.
Speaker 7: It's a good way to prevent that crash from happening on your end because the books not looking solid right, all of a sudden, every every fucking bank on Earth loves bitcoin. I bet, but Swee, do you ever gotten paid a bitcoin?
Speaker 2: Though maybe she did, I don't know. Shot solute.
Speaker 7: Be careful of all scams going around.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the ball run or started the ball? Do you think is different? You think you think you still got some more time.
Speaker 7: I think we have a little bit more time because the banks and financial institution have vested interests for it to stay afloat.
Speaker 2: A so that.
Speaker 7: The mid tier banks don't get crushed. And I think with the onboarding of that asset class, it makes banks a. I think the institution will take over a bitcoin or adoption of bitcoin. I think that they're going to push it up a little bit further, a little bit longer, maybe end of Q one. But I can definitely see a pullback, not like the one we have from sixty to twenty, but I definitely can see a pullback, and I think that would be a goal rush no pun intended from the rest of the banks into it earners.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 1: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. One of the things we love most is seeing neighborhood businesses level up. Dises's West Indian Spired writing our community that started with a small takeout counter now with Square they've been able to expand into a full sit down restaurant and even started catering events across the city. That's the kind of growth that inspires us, and it's powered by Square. Square is built for all types of businesses, from the corner bagel shop that turned into a local chain, to the specialty market with thousands of unique items, to the stylist who's been holding you down for years.
Speaker 2: If you're a.
Speaker 1: Business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash, go backslash e y l to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash ey L. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.