Speaker 1: Cutbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse. Wow, it's a clearinghouse of hot takes. Break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 3: In the air everywhere, The Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Maller and Danny G Radio Happy Saturday. As we are recording this live on tape. I like to say that because it used to annoy Tom Looney when I did.
Speaker 1: The stuff with him. Oh you can not live blo tape. But whatever. Anyway, it is the twelfth day of April.
Speaker 3: We have made it till Saturday, and Danny G is back in the hissy. As we hang out here on this glorious Saturdays, I was thinking, maybe we do a sporty podcast. Danny, I'm like, well, like, what's the big NFL story Joe Flacco.
Speaker 1: Going to the Browns.
Speaker 3: I don't know that I needed to mention that on the I guess I just mentioned it, but I Drew Locke going back to Seattle.
Speaker 1: That does not exactly stir there.
Speaker 4: I have one for you. How about your boy Derek Carr. After he and his agent told the Saints, hell, no, we won't take a pay cut, Suddenly he is hurt. What is it? His shoulder?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I saw you.
Speaker 4: He need Yeah, And they think he's not going to be able to play at all. So who is it going to be? Rattler? No, they're going to now draft a quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, that reminds me of one of the great episodes in Laker history, back when I used to go out to those games with Shaquille O'Neill. And do you remember in the Shaq Kobe days there was one season that Shaq came back and waited to get.
Speaker 1: Surgery until the season like began.
Speaker 3: Yes, And you remember the quote he says, I got hurt on company time. I'm gonna heal on company time. And it drove Phil Jackson. Those those people are crazy, but that was his line. I got hurt on company time. Somebody hill in company time, and that the Derek Carr thing, that is a good story, I'll admit I it wasn't at the top of my head. But the Derek Carr thing, it's it's like when did he hurt his shoulder? Like all of a sudden, you need shoulder surgery in April. The season ended for the Saints in early January, they didn't make the playoffs, and so now you need surgery.
Speaker 1: It's like.
Speaker 4: Fishy going on.
Speaker 1: Well this and it does happen.
Speaker 3: Look, the Atlanta Braves signed Jerkson Profar to a contract when chances are pretty good it's more likely than not that he knew he was going to fail h He had already failed the PD test and he got forty million dollars from from the Atlanta Braves. He's gonna miss half the season, he won't be able to play in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: I know it's not an.
Speaker 3: Injury, but it's it's a similar scam. And I looked it up for a monologue this week, Danny. The Jerkson Profar contract one of my favorite fun facts of the week, that he got forty two million from the Atlanta Braves. And if you look up the Loofs Tanza heist. You know that famous heist from the airport in New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the cargo.
Speaker 3: They made movies about it. In Today's money. It would have been like four million dollars or something like that. It's a very small amount. So Jerks and Profar actually got more than the Luftanza heist from the Atlanta Braves by a lot.
Speaker 1: Like going to him close close and all that.
Speaker 3: But on this podcast, we've got the cheesy goodness when the legend isn't the fact. We'll check the report card, we've got no bullets, phrase of the week, all kinds of stuff, but we'll start with this. It is Saturday, and today is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day, Danny Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day, And.
Speaker 4: Well that goes perfect ben for what I woke up to on this early Saturday morning. My wife and and a couple of kids had some parmesan tomato soup last night. Okay, and I didn't partake, but they left me some, so I heated it up in the microwave as we were getting set to broadcast the podcast. So in front of me is a pipe and hot bowl of parmesan tomato soup. What goes better with that than a grilled cheese.
Speaker 1: Damn right, damn right?
Speaker 3: And fun fact, bonus fun fact, the modern grilled cheese sandwich. We are told, Danny that we still enjoy today that you're hopefully going to enjoy here originated about one hundred years ago, in the nineteen twenties. And they don't know exactly who the first person to combine the bread and cheese was, but the modern success they credit otto Frederick Wahwetter raw Bedwetter. Oh see see if she probably wasn't Beadweather when he was a kid. Rohwe d r. He invented the bread slicer during the Industrial Revolution, the Gilded Age, Gilded Age, and that invention, you know, dividing bread up and all that stuff, making it affordable or affordable and all that stuff, and that meant cheese could be transported over long distances and not spoiled.
Speaker 1: Yummy, Yeah, very yummy, mars so very yummy.
Speaker 3: And the term grilled cheese originated in the nineteen sixties. How about that. That's only that that phrase, you know, that's a long time ago.
Speaker 4: That's when you were born.
Speaker 3: No no, I was born in two thousand and five.
Speaker 1: I think I'm twenty years old right now.
Speaker 3: But the first reference to a melted cheese sandwich was nineteen oh two.
Speaker 1: The French word for it nineteen ten or so.
Speaker 3: But it really was the the nineteen twenty seven culinary revolution, the bread slicing.
Speaker 1: Machine that opened up the world to what we have today.
Speaker 3: And so there we are, cheesy celebrated appropriately with grilled cheese and a little life hack as the wife is able to make the grilled cheese. Put the cheese on the outside also not just the inside.
Speaker 4: Oh man, missus Malard's grilled cheese sandwiches are some of the best I've ever had.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're solid. Don't eat them that often. That great for you. But when I ate them, man, outstanding, out standing.
Speaker 3: Now, some people like to cut their grilled cheese up and they like to put it like a little fondu type situation, you know, the sandwich, dip it in the cheese fondue and a little pot of cheese, and that's cheese on top of cheese and top of cheese, and that's extra.
Speaker 1: Cheesy goodness is what is now.
Speaker 3: I did want to mention this when the legend isn't the fact. Now, there's a phrase that I use from time to time, when the legend becomes the fact. Go with the legend the man that shot liberty balance. But when the legend isn't the fact? And I have an example. Now, we love doing this podcast. We do it every weekend. It's a labor of love, Danny, and we also get paid for it on not much, not much, but on Friday, Saturday and Sundays. We do this podcast today being Saturday, and we'll have another one tomorrow and we do radio. You're on with Colvino and Richard in the week I got the Overnight show and so we do that a lot. We've been we're radio nerds. We've both gotten a radio when we were young. Danny was younger than I was. I started when I was nineteen in radio. Danny, you were like fifteen.
Speaker 4: Or ything, like fifteen years old.
Speaker 3: Yep, yeah, you're you're a young punk. And we love radio. We've always loved radio. And over the years, the public perception I blame Joe Rogan for this is that podcasting's cool and radio.
Speaker 1: Is not right, and that's the legend.
Speaker 3: Now you know lately it's podcastings where all the cool kids are and all that stuff. And well it turns out when the legend isn't the facts. We get this information all the time, and there was a big information dump.
Speaker 1: It came and I think we're allowed to say this stuff. I don't think this is bad stuff to say. I mean, who knows, nobody told me not to say it? How about that?
Speaker 3: But when the public messaging doesn't line up with the reality.
Speaker 1: Of the situation.
Speaker 3: Another terms for that, people will say, you know, disinformation. You can maybe say it's an urban legend, modern folklore and all that.
Speaker 1: So I bring this up just to.
Speaker 3: Show you the power that regular radio still has. According to research, this goes to the fourth quarter of twenty twenty four, and it's the power of the radio dial. And they found that AMFM old school, oh your boomer, your old head, still accounts for eighty six percent of listening within a car for Americans eighteen plus eighty six percent of listening in the car and most if you went up to the average person Danny on the street and you said, hey, you know how many people are listening to podcast or you know, streaming music even rather than radio, there's this misconception. I would think that most people would say, well, podcasting or streaming music, but according to.
Speaker 1: The research, it's not true. While pretty crazy.
Speaker 4: We talked about some of the numbers last weekend, remember and this backs up our conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. They broke it down even further.
Speaker 3: It's an hour's worth of US AD supported audio consumption. Am FM represented forty one point two minutes of listening out of an hour. Now podcasts worse second, but only about eleven minutes. Now, my one of my podcast mentors taught me that a podcast is only supposed to be like about thirty.
Speaker 1: Minutes right around. We try to keep this to about thirty minutes.
Speaker 3: And the reason we do that is because the talk is most people listen to a podcast. Maybe you're on the gym or you're working out or something like that, and you work out for about thirty minutes.
Speaker 1: So it's like you're supposed to do a prep about thirty minutes or whatever. So that's why we do this.
Speaker 3: Some of the other stuff they broke down, the Spotify was on there serious XM, but just for a couple of minutes. And then Pandora Pandoraly got one point nine minute per minutes per hour. So I thought those numbers were interesting, and it shows you the still the overall number, it's sixty nine percent audio time spent among people eighteen plus sixty nine percent to the AMFM radio, and then podcasting is second, and then after podcasting, it's it falls off the map.
Speaker 1: There's just not not a lot going on, Danny. After not a lot going on, for sure, but no juice. Yeah, definitely no juice.
Speaker 3: And I know I haven't been in school in a long time because I was a bad student and all that stuff. But somewhere when those teachers that gave me C plus's dandy, I want them to know that those C pluses, I'm still working, So screw you.
Speaker 1: That's what I and c's get degrees, Danny. That's the most important.
Speaker 4: Thing, right man. We've been having issues with our fourteen year old for a couple of school years now because there was a possibility that she was going to have to be kept back in the eighth grade for another go around, and that's a kid's worst nightmare. We finally threatened her, We said, think about this, your friends are going to be freshman in high school and you're going to do the eighth grade over again in middle school. Lo and behold, as my mom always used to say, she started to study. She gets home now, actually goes up to her room, and the first thing she does is homework.
Speaker 1: Ben.
Speaker 4: She had a D, she had an F, she had a C. She didn't even have a C plus on her last report card. We really had to, you know, get her fired up for school.
Speaker 1: Did you did you offer a financial reward or just threatening? Right? Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know, smart or evil minds think alike, because yes, Brenda did offer her five hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: Whoa wow.
Speaker 4: She offered her five hundred dollars if she could get straight a's. And Brenda kind of laughed after she said that, because it's like, there's no way in hell you're ever going to get straight a's. But the progress reports came out yesterday, and I have the progress report right here. Are you ready?
Speaker 1: Reveal answers, Reveal answers.
Speaker 4: All right, humanities, don't ask me what that is. I think it's like social studies C plus all right, Algebra introductions. It was an F last time, C.
Speaker 1: C plus all right.
Speaker 4: So she's trying to get that five hundred dollars. It looks like new media art. That's like them teaching kids photoshop E A plus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's hard to f that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And King, she's stuck with her devices in front of her face at all hours of the day and night. We knew she'd be good at that class. Pe. You can't mess up Pe, right. You would think she had a C last time in Pe because she was being lazy. She got that up to a B.
Speaker 1: All right, good lunch.
Speaker 4: There's no grade next to it. I don't even know why they put that on.
Speaker 1: I always got the top of my class. I was going on school based.
Speaker 4: Uh, that's been so good. Then finally and then finally, finally science. That was a side that was a C minus last time she raised it to a B minus. Oh good, So she's she's moving in the right direction. At least she's gonna be able to graduate and you know, whatever small graduation they do from eighth to ninth grade.
Speaker 3: But is there gonna be Is there gonna be a side deal because she, uh, that's a that's a funny thing your wife did, because yeah, she knew she never had five hundred.
Speaker 1: But if she if she gets b's, that's doable.
Speaker 3: Would they be like, well, we'll give me half or something like that?
Speaker 1: A side situation here?
Speaker 4: And yeah, this is like if we started the show talking about Derek Carr, this would be like if you put an incentive in his contract. We'll give you ten million extra dollars if you take us to the super Bowl. Yeah, of course, uh not gonna get the straight a's. But this is just the progress report. This is not the official report card yet. So she has a chance to get these c pluses raised up, and then I'm sure her mom will give in a little bit and give her some of that money based on the different classes where she raised those grades up. And this weekend, in fact, later today, we're gonna pack up the car and we're gonna take her to Laguna Beach to the shops there and her mom for the effort she's put in, her mom's gonna let her shop with a one hundred dollars bill. She was really excited about that. She's like, you didn't get five hundred yet. I'll give you one hundred dollars for your work and effort you put in, and you can go shopping this evening in Laguna Beach.
Speaker 1: Nice. Look at that little South O s action.
Speaker 4: Yeah, except today with inflation, you can get two items for one hundred dollars. She'll probably get two little bracelets and it'll be like seventy five bucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'll they'll be made out of like paper or something. Yeah, handmade, handcrafted and all that. Wow, well no bullets, no bullets. Now we had a I call it Mal's law. Some people say it's Murphy's law. But anything that can go wrong will go wrong the other night. So it started out, let's go back in the way back machine. A few days ago and I was getting ready for the show. And I have a routine that I do. I normally lay down on the sofa, I have the TV on, watching some games or whatever.
Speaker 1: I've got my dog, Moxie. I'm a bulldog who lays.
Speaker 3: On the lays on the feet. And then I'm getting ready for the show. And so when I do the show from the remote studio, it involves you know, I don't have to hurry up and rush into the studio or anything like that to drive in.
Speaker 1: When it's a remote broadcast, I have a lot of extra time.
Speaker 3: I don't spend, you know, a long time in the car driving in from the north Woods, and saves me time.
Speaker 1: And so so I'm getting ready for show and.
Speaker 3: Futs to around there putting everything together. And there's a term we use put the baby to bed. So I've got the notes done and I do these monologues, and I have bullet points and things that I won't want to hit on during the mall are monologues that we do. And I have a lot of commercials. That's the most important part. I've been told the commercials are the most important part. You've got to get the commercials in.
Speaker 1: So there's a lot.
Speaker 3: We have a lot more as I think it was Reggie complained last week, was it last week or two out of complained about the commercial But we we have a lot, and so you have to keep track. There's a lot of live reads, and so I have to make sure everything's where it needs to go. And so so I'm getting ready for the show.
Speaker 1: And and.
Speaker 3: I got everything done, ready ready for the show, and I'm just kind of hanging out and then I walk, I get up, throw a little water on my face, so I'm somewhat awake, and then make the trip up to and then down the hall and then around the corner, and then I get to the remote studio. Got to turn everything on, make sure everything's good on that. So I go in there and then I settle in. I got to turn all these lights on because we're on the YouTube now, So I got to turn all the lights on, turn everything on, and we are about at this point by the time, I just kind of settle in for maybe ninety seconds from on airtime to start talking.
Speaker 1: So I got about ninety seconds.
Speaker 4: All right, this sounds like firing up the Starship Enterprise.
Speaker 3: Oh, very similar, very similar to Dani. I'm glad you brought that up. So I then I'm sitting down. I'm settling in. I've got the lights on, I turned the camera on, I got everything ready to go. Lights, camera, and it's about.
Speaker 1: To be action.
Speaker 3: So the way this works, I have my laptop that I use everything I do my prep with, and then when I do the remote show everything from the laptop through the magic.
Speaker 1: I don't even know how this works. It really is magic. It's sorcery.
Speaker 3: So everything from the laptop transfers to the studio computer that I use in the remote studio. So I don't need my laptop. I don't even bring my laptop with me. Everything's the same thing is on that computer. It say it's a mirror of what I was using, So I don't even worry about I don't need to finagle with it. I'm good to go. So I get in there, and I said, I think you can imagine where this is going. So I click on the file that has my bullet points for the malad monologue. I click on the file that has the commercial that I have to do at the top of the hour, the copy, and.
Speaker 1: Nothing, no nothing.
Speaker 3: When I say nothing, I mean blankety mcblank, I am saying absolutely nothing. And I'm getting I'm hearing the recorded update because we don't you know, we don't have a budget for live update people.
Speaker 1: So I hear a recorded update and I know what's coming.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm gonna have to start the yapp and away And I'm like, well, I don't, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, boy, and boom goes the dynamite. Yeah, pretty much. So I'm like, all right, I've been doing this a long time. We'll just let it rip, and you know, what the hell?
Speaker 3: And so I did not have I had no bullets, but unshaken, unseen.
Speaker 1: Nobody noticed, not one person.
Speaker 3: Not Alf Wow Miner, not ferg Dog, not Tony in the Bay area, not Nick in Wisconsin, none of these guys.
Speaker 1: Nobody noticed that.
Speaker 3: And then, to make matters even better, Danny, So I'm then I'm doing everything.
Speaker 1: I'm doing the monologue.
Speaker 3: I'm letting it rip, right, you know, it's trying to trying to remember as much as I can. And then midway through the monologue, I get a malfunction.
Speaker 1: The camera breaks. There was a there was an issue a recording.
Speaker 3: Now the camera's broken in the middle of the monologue, and I'm like, oh, crap, man, what that f is going? It is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: What are we doing here?
Speaker 4: Wait back to you free styling off the top of your dome. Yes, did you just like close your eyes and imagine what you had typed? Well?
Speaker 3: I couldn't close my eyes because the camera was on. All true, I was trying to channel like the I don't know what.
Speaker 4: Jay z the way he writes lyrics in his head, goes into the booth and then spits them on the microphone and doesn't need any paper in front of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And to be fair, I mean, you know, Danny, you've worked with me for a long time, and I have a lot of nodes, bullet points or whatever. But usually what ends up happening is it's I try to ignore them. They're just there in case I have a drowning moment where I forget my train of thought and I'm like, I need something to kind of get.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just a template. It's more of a template exactly.
Speaker 3: It's like a template and so but it's a safety blanket. And when you don't have the safety.
Speaker 4: Blanket, oh, I hate I hate that feeling, especially in broadcasting, because I need that safety blanket.
Speaker 1: H Exactly.
Speaker 4: It's like it's like Coha when he is on the boo, he has to hold an emotional support toy in his hand. I'm not sure why, but as he's sucking on the boo, he's got a toy in his hand and he's got to have that emotional support toy. I'm like that with radio. If I don't have the preparation in front of me, I just it's not panic. It's more of, oh my god, this is it messes your routine up, is what it is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: And it's it's kind of like I guess like seatbelts. You don't you hope you never actually need to use the safety belt, but if you do, you're.
Speaker 1: Glad you put it on.
Speaker 3: It's like that kind of thing, right, It's like, well, I probably won't ever need this, but just in case, just in case, that one night where everything goes to hell and where we're good to go. So anyway that fortunately, after that opening monologue, I was able to update. I had to reset some things and everything transferred over to the computer. But in the commercial, that part was a little tricky. I had to get them that was off my phone. I did grab my phone to do the do I do not remember the commercial copy?
Speaker 1: I don't you.
Speaker 4: Weren't you weren't like your boy Harlan. Did you see how he screwed up that read on on TV? Oh that was so good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's awesome.
Speaker 4: Chicken Tenders listen, listen to this. This happened a few nights ago.
Speaker 5: The NBA on TMT is brought to you by the new Crispy Tenders at CarMax. What the way car buying should be? Can that be?
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 1: Waited a minute?
Speaker 2: Hold on?
Speaker 1: I'm holding hold on?
Speaker 5: Are they serving tenders with cars?
Speaker 1: Are there tenders in the car? Because if there is, you're in.
Speaker 5: We just had the marriage of two different sponsors and it was ugly.
Speaker 1: Who wrote that. Only you can laugh about it.
Speaker 5: That just goes to show you I literally will read anything they put in front of me without it even looking like the Holy Cow.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, what I say, like like a train?
Speaker 1: Seal right, it just right there.
Speaker 4: Oh, some producer got slapped on the wrist after that. He accidentally copied in paste two sponsor reads together.
Speaker 1: Oops, that is Ron Burgundy, that is the anchorman.
Speaker 3: Yes, they did that with Charles Barkley, one of the famous T and T bloopers. Realized Barkley would read anything on the teleprompter, so they put and then sure enough Barkley read read read everything.
Speaker 1: But oh after yourself, san Diego. Hey, damn, you.
Speaker 4: Sound like you're seventeen years old, right there.
Speaker 1: I was. I was actually sixteen. I was actually sixteen. Go after yourself, san Diego. Wow, that's that's old school, man.
Speaker 3: There are so many drops in it we need to have, Like I need to talk to the rain and get her to bring back some of the classic like rotating some of these old school drops and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: That'd be cool to have those back.
Speaker 3: All right, let's get to the phrase of the week.
Speaker 2: I don't know how I could do with a whole mouthful of that goo oh boy.
Speaker 1: All right, the phrase of the week. Phrase the phrase of the week.
Speaker 3: This comes courtesy of Bill from Korea Town. Now, Danny, you remember billing Bill and Venice. Oh yeah, yes, got a very distinctive cadence. Bill in Venice is he he's not overrated. I would say he's underrated as a caller. So Bill called up the other night and he's a bet. I used the word.
Speaker 1: That's not a word, you know, he starts Bill.
Speaker 3: Bill is trying to trying to touch up my work, right, So I'm like, well, maybe I said something.
Speaker 1: I was tired. I said something I shouldn't say. So I said, I said what's the word, Bill? And I don't know?
Speaker 3: And then I kept asking him, I said what's and so eventually he said he said the word was the word that I used was harbinger or no, he said barringer.
Speaker 1: I think he's aid barringer.
Speaker 3: And then we determined he meant harbinger and he said that I made I made that up. Now, A, I don't remember saying it. B I do say it. And so I thought, in honor of Bill in Koreatown, who I'm pretty sure does not listen to this podcast, just to f with him because it was very bizarre. I'm like the guy he calls up to correct me, and he doesn't know what exactly he's corrected me about. Then he says, I made up the word, which is bull crap. So the phrase harbinger of things to come, it originates from the beginning of that at harbinger. The obviously, the word harbinger dates back to Middle English around the twelfth cent Harbinger now it initially referred to a person who provided lodging or acted as a host for travelers. It comes from the Old French word herbringer, which means to provide the lodging, to provide lodging, and the phrase itself, combining harbinger with things to come, that emerged in English literature to describe a sign, event, or a person foreshadowing future developments, and that.
Speaker 1: Is what it is today. It became more and more.
Speaker 3: Popular in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, often used in very poetic, traumatic context. And another one of these phrases that really took off because of Shakespeare, and it appears in works like Macbeth, which is in sixteen oh six from Shakespeare. And this so many phrases that are Shakespearean that are still used to this day. How crazy is that that you can get some stuff in the sixteen hundreds, and here we are all these years later, and people are still using these phrases that Shakespeare came up with. Its roots lie in the evolution of Harbinger as a herald of what lies ahead, and it took off in many ways because of a Shakespeare. So the phrase of the week harbinger of things to come, thanks to Bill in Koreatown one of the Odder moments, and we can add that to the big stack of odd moments that have happened on the.
Speaker 1: Show, like this, give me a little taste of that dick.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, dar you that's Ai edit. I put Bill in Koreatown's comment. Danny right up there with the guy from jail that sent me a prison letter.
Speaker 1: I remember I talked about this. He was complaining I was doing intimint facts as in jail. He sent me a letter to complain this. If we'll get out on that, Danny, it is Saturday. You're gonna be you going down to the O C today, O see fun. Are you gonna stay at home? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Uh no, it looks like I'm gonna go along. But I feel like I'm going to be the usher for you know who, Bam bam.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, guard with bam bam.
Speaker 4: I will be the bodyguard for one big baby brute. Coha, no no, no no, bam bam.
Speaker 3: Don't do that, finey, don't speak mean to him, reason with him.
Speaker 1: Okay, no, bam bam. You mustn't hit anything with your couch. He caught my finger. That's great.
Speaker 3: The big fella will have fun, enjoy that. Whether should be good in the very nice beach day. All right, we'll get out on that, have a wonderful rest of the get the mail bag tomorrow and we'll catch you then later.
Speaker 4: Skater my felicious