Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is.
Speaker 3: Now they call me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer Dylan the Tennessee pal Fagan. Most importantly, you are here. That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. We are finally return fellow conspiracy realist. We couldn't be more excited to hang with you today. This is March tenth, twenty twenty five. If you are hearing our Strange news segment as it publishes now full disclosure. We wanted to get to this before we dive in to our regularly scheduled programming. Guys, we had a run of classic episodes quite recently as we were on the road, and I can't thank our listeners enough for reaching out and just checking in and saying, hey, are you guys okay? So if it's all right with you, I think maybe we make a little space just to give people the lowdown, the quick skinny.
Speaker 4: A dark week, as they say in the industry. Yeah, I mean, as honestly, it's one of these things where we probably should have foreseen that that was going to happen and talked about in advance. But we had all the intentions of doubling down and doing all the regular episodes, but time zones and travel schedules and things just life, you know, got in the way, and so we figured this was a reasonable substitute.
Speaker 5: We'd super think everyone for rolling with it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, we were in various places for extended period of time, show.
Speaker 5: Related, un show related. Yeah, it was quite quite the adventure.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, our time in New York was fantas you guys. We kept talking about that show, and then we put on this thing where there's a giant video of propaganda stuff from the government playing while Noel and his friends played insanely cool music in this space. We got on stage, we did a whole live show, We did an amazing sketch written by Sir Ben Bolin, then we had an interview with an awesome person. It was just a great time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I mean Ben's sketch that he wrote is sort of like a bit of a send up of They Live, but kind of taking it from a visual thing with the sunglasses or the glasses that show you the truth behind advertising to headphones and an audio.
Speaker 5: Kind of version of that world.
Speaker 4: And had the immense pleasure of kind of doing some sound design for it, and we triggered it live with like cues, like a play.
Speaker 6: It was really cool, and we're actually going to publish the whole thing, complete with the sketch that we're going to kind of tweak a little bit for podcast consumption, but super excited to for y'all to check that out and.
Speaker 3: Credit where due. Matt, that was your original pitch for the for the show. We don't want to we don't want to spoil it too too much. Please do tune in. As we were saying, Matt, we interview justin Richmond. We just can't say enough good about that guy. And we can't say enough thankful and you know, grateful stuff about everybody who checked in. We haven't gotten black bagged yet. I think all of us avoided getting into cults so far. Tonight, we're going to learn about some very strange news that you may have missed in the headlines. We're going to see a teacher with a side gig. We're going to explore some dangerous stories about child fighters, severed human hands. We're going to go to space at the very end, but perhaps for now, just since we're getting back into the saddle, we pause for a word from our sponsors, and then can I introduce you guys to some mice I'm really into.
Speaker 5: Only if they're fuzzy. I like mice. They're wooly, That's the word I was looking for.
Speaker 3: They're wily mice.
Speaker 5: We'll be right back, all right.
Speaker 3: So, over the years, if you are a longtime listener or a fellow nerd, you have perhaps heard of the continuing efforts and statements about de extincting certain animals.
Speaker 4: Now, way, I thought of that lately, right, like Winddo's coming back apparently, is that right?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Maybe? And you're you're absolutely right there. No one of the continual uh subjects that gets brought up when we're talking about de extinction bringing back a species that has left this earthly plane. We always talked about mammoths. Mammoths are like the cooler version of elephants. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They got the tusks, like the big old tusks.
Speaker 5: Like the Fleetwood Mac album.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they got that them feet with Wait, how does it go the feet with the hoofs fur, then the boots.
Speaker 5: With the fur.
Speaker 4: It's the boots with the fur, yes, and the apple bottom jeans.
Speaker 5: The whole floor was looking at her. That's the lookly mammoth.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, very much.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: Mammoths were around when early humans were very much in the game, and mammoths are much larger than the common African or Asian elephant you would see today. Humans are the reason mammoths are gone. So human civilization has been trying to, you know, sort of make up for that by bringing mammoths back by leveraging DNA technology and some very very smart science to possibly use an elephant as a surrogate parent, right, because elephants and mammoths are just close enough that, you know, like horses and mules exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it requires genetic manipulation of the elephants themselves over time, the right iterations, then you have mabies. Then you alter the genes a little more, and then it's a little closer to a mammoth.
Speaker 5: It's weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a growth in increment, right, That's how we arrive at mammoth actual. The first iterations, when successful, are going to be elephants that are increasingly exhibiting mammoth traits. Right, you can't all of a sudden have a mammoth out of whole cloth and to understand how this works without getting too too deep into the the science here, too too deep into the roota begas of those pursuits. We can tell you there are other ways to figure out or solve for some of these DNA questions. And that's where, oddly enough, mice come into the game. Just recently, a private company based in Dallas, Texas, called Colossal Biosciences. They broke a news cycle, at least for nerds, because they said, all right, we're going to sort of do a use case. We're going to prove that you can bring certain mammoth like traits back into the waking world. And they did it not with elephants, which are much more expensive to experiment upon. They did it with rodents. This is where we get wooly mammoth like mice. They're not mammoth sized mice, which would be way cooler and a little more frightening. Instead, they have they exhibit the DNA sequences that allowed the mammoth to have its amazing tolerance for cold climates.
Speaker 5: What are they for, Ben, What do we need these these beasts for funies? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I want some of these guys. Yeah, I want them just hanging out in my house.
Speaker 3: Okay, we got to real life Pokemon. You know, here at the end of history. If you pull up a picture of the wooly mouse, then you'll see, and I use this word very rarely, they're just the cutest, you know what I mean, Like I I finally figured out what cute is, and it's because of the wooly mouse. They've got this hu uh. They've got crazy looking uh anime esque hair. It's of a lighter blonde, brownish tone. They also have a much higher tolerance for cold temperature than the colder temperatures than your average garden variety lab mouse.
Speaker 4: Okay, so like they're more resilient in the tundra. So I guess we can set them free out there and they can make their little mouse willly mouse lives in that climate.
Speaker 5: I mean, I guess. I still just don't fully understand the point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's a good question. The point is this. The point is proving that it is possible to identify and mess with certain DNA sequences. So if we take the Asian elephant, the closest living relative of the mammoth, we immediately have a bunch of hard questions to solve, for like, how do we what traits, what sort of genetic light switches do we flip on or off to get us closer to the mammoth. And in proving this or in figuring out if it's feasible at all, this company looked at DNA sequences related to the length of hair, thickness of hair texture, the amount of body fat, and they said, all right, if we can figure out how this works in a mouse, maybe we can take the same thing that we figured out with the mice or the rodent and transfer that to the elephant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's amazing. They are proving that they can edit specific genes and have the outcome right of what they want for the elephant to mammoth, and they did it in the mice and just being able to change the hair that much. If you look at the side by side picture and the specific Guardian article that you linked to, Ben Sure, it's incredible to see the two different creatures that are the same creature, just with a couple of.
Speaker 3: Edits, Yeah, just a few edits away. Still, I think their ears look chipped like that because they probably got tagged for some sort of material sampling. But if you go to the Guardian article by Nicola Davis on March fourth, twenty twenty five, you'll see a pretty great breakdown of how they look different and why. And I will also take us just a step further. You guys gain a little conspiratorial here. They might be able to cure baldness right at this point, like, uh, baldness in humans if you can, if you can mess with us specifically as as the company reports, if you can mess with genes like FGF five fibroblast growth factor five, or like if you can if you could switch that on. If the ethics don't stop us, when have they ever? Well, maybe we could get at a monkey's pause situation with anybody who is uh looking to avoid male pattern baldness. It's a Faustian bargain. What if you could get that gene switched and you get hair back on the top of your head, right, but you also get hair everywhere else.
Speaker 5: I was going to say, werewolf rules, Yeah, from x men, I got.
Speaker 2: Plenty of chester here. I don't need any more, thank you very much, but I would love some more on the top head.
Speaker 4: Do you guys think we're really fast approaching as this stuff kind of you know, improves exponentially that boutique gene swapping gatica type situation I talked about.
Speaker 5: I think so too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Unfortunately, I mean approaching.
Speaker 4: Where you stand unfortunately or fort right. I'm wondering how you yeah please.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I say unfortunately because current sociopolitical regimes indicate that early adopters will not necessarily be people who need life changing genetic therapy. It will more so be people who are already very advantaged in their societies. Right, and then the entry point for democratizing that, for getting a gadagas situation, as you mentioned, and I love that reference, it will be the military. It'll be the one percenters, and then it'll be the military, and then we'll have just some very weird super soldiers for a couple decades.
Speaker 2: I want to just this is such a weird situation, This concept of carrying out these experiments on elephants, yea. The lab mice in this, as we talked about in previous episodes, are bred by companies. You know, thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions of these mice are bred by companies across the world to be experimented on. And many of them who are experimented on don't make it. And that's kind of a that's kind of the thing, or at least they don't make it out very well, right, The experiment goes a little a little awry. And that's the case in this situation too, where you know, I think they said, well, here's a quote from Beth Shapiro, the chief science officer of Colossal. She said, the efficacy of the edits varied, but many individuals were one hundred percent for all attempted edits. But now imagine doing those kinds of edits on elephants. There aren't that many of them, right, l.
Speaker 3: Not with that attitude, now, okiddy, we could. You're right, You're right. The elephants, the elephant populations are endangered. I love that you're mentioning Beth Shapiro in full disclosure. The paper, the paper on this, like the paper of note, has yet to be published, but people have people have read this, People like Robin Lovell Badge, who is head of stem cell Biology and Developmental Genetics Laboratory over at the Francis Crick Institute in London. Krick is famous for his work with DNA. Just side reference there. One thing that level Badge points out is that we still don't know the full extent of this genetic futsery, right. We still don't know whether in generation two or generation three there will be some kind of Shyamalan plot twist hidden in the DNA, because right now, as we record, public knowledge tells us that it's less like flipping one switch to immediately give somebody, say green eyes right or higher than average bone density. Instead, you flip one switch and it triggers a number of still unknown other related switches. So the jury's out, and it's going to be expensive to use elephants as a way to bridge the gap toward mammoths, but hopefully it happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would be cool. But they are only dealing with the what the cosmetic changes, right, the things that alter the way the body functions. They're not altering the behavioral stuff like, and nobody knows what a welly mammoth does, how is it different from an elephant? And what do you got to change to get that?
Speaker 3: Right? What would be for instance, how would they interact with smell, right or other sensory input. Those are those are questions that are much more complicated to answer, and hopefully, hopefully we get there, you know what I mean. I don't know. I don't know how expensive it is to launch an experiment with elephants in particular. I do know that we I'm going to do a quick segue here, just because of we're running in time. I do know that we're seeing some exciting times with human and animal interactions overall. By the way, you guys, we did successfully call it. Rising egg prices in the United States have sparked a trend of renting chickens called.
Speaker 2: It makes sense, makes total sense on points.
Speaker 5: As per usual, I.
Speaker 2: Went to my local publics and they literally didn't have eggs except for the little tiny containers that have six and they were crazy expensive, and there were literally four of those containers on the shelf when I went with my son.
Speaker 3: Did you pick any up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we needed eggs.
Speaker 5: It's funny.
Speaker 4: At the leadle near my house where I shop, they had plenty of eggs, but there was a two per customer maximum, and so of course I bought two and then my dear friend was over for dinner who was a huge egg fan, and I offered her one of my two dozen eggs and she was thrilled.
Speaker 3: Taking the relationship to the next thing. Yeah, yeah, I got you some eggs.
Speaker 5: Uh huh.
Speaker 7: You know bl frym sprambloom, make one of those things out of a cardboard and you drop from the top of a building like in a science class with them.
Speaker 5: No, that's no, they're too precious for that.
Speaker 3: We know this is happening in New Hampshire. At least you go to the BBC. There's a great video and article up there now from a couple of days ago. Christine and Brian Templeton of golf Town or Joffstown, New Hampshire, have created a business called Rent the Chicken. They say, look, we will give you hens and we will feed the hens. We'll teach you how to not let them die. We'll rent them out for six months and during that six month period for about six hundred bucks, you can collect all the fresh eggs that you wish or that these chickens will produce. For the record, if you're looking at one hen, that's about six eggs a week per them. So two hens can produce a dozen eggs per week, and then you have to do the math, like, at what point does the grocery store become so expensive that one hundred bucks a month for a lot of eggs makes more financial sense, dude?
Speaker 2: And then you can have a side hustle with eggs, you know, like imagine the people who would flock I'm using that word on purpose to your hour to get.
Speaker 5: Them eggs behind you, guys.
Speaker 4: I was recently rewatching some old Simpsons episodes on a flight, and there's an episode where Homer gets the idea of collecting grease. He wants to become a grease smogule, and in order to do that, he just buys all this bacon and just saves the grease. And then Barna informs him that he is spending way more money on bacon than he could possibly ever make with grease. So I think being an egg mogul this is definitely superior than being a grease mogul.
Speaker 5: For now, I yield by time.
Speaker 3: For now, there's always a hustle, right, There's always there's always something happening as we record. Right now, the United States government is considering literally selling off a ton of government buildings, so we see the rise of the wooly mice. I have a question for you guys off mic with stuff we didn't get to about the possible new Great depression, or of course, the Zizian cult. Don't call it a cult. In the meantime, before we pause for a word from our sponsors, folks, fellow conspiracy realist, again, it's so great to hang out with you once more. Please write to us conspiracydiheartradio dot com and let us know your opinion of rising prices domestically in the United States. If you live in a different country, please let us know if you have seen any Shanic shenaneggerie with prices. No, we're keeping it.
Speaker 5: We're keeping it.
Speaker 3: So this is so. We're gonna pause here, we'll have a word from our sponsor, and then we'll return with a cavalcade of other news you may have missed.
Speaker 4: And we have returned with the aforementioned cavalcade that was promised by Ben.
Speaker 5: I'm going to make good on that, buddy, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'll start with a couple of weird ones. I guess all three of these are weird, but some are a little more upsetting. Than weird, So we'll start with the.
Speaker 5: Yeah, still slightly upsetting but weird story out of Ireland.
Speaker 4: A bird flying over a school yard apparently dropped some human remains onto a playground.
Speaker 5: Very David Lynchian, y'all.
Speaker 4: This sounds like the inciting incident of like some sort of weird, spooky artsy noir film like Blue Velvet that starts with like the severed year being found. The remains in question a human hand, which was discovered at a schoolyard in Ireland and is thought to have belonged I'm sorry this is also upsetting, belonged to a child according.
Speaker 3: To Yeah, this is like a twelve year old male.
Speaker 4: That's correct, that potentially was injured significantly in a gasoline can explosion, is what I've seen in some of the chatter on Reddit.
Speaker 5: I don't know that that's been confirmed yet.
Speaker 4: In the statement that People Magazine received, the National Police and Security Service of Ireland, the guide is Guard Yeah exactly said that they were alerted to the discovery of partial human remains at a premises in Darndale, Dublin on Friday, Dale Darlin, Darndale, Dale, Darndale, Dublin.
Speaker 3: Guys, Okay, so far be it for me to make light of the surely storied history of Darndale, Dublin. But Darndale is just an amazing name.
Speaker 5: It's fantastic.
Speaker 4: I wanted to point that that sounds like it should be a neighbor of Springfield in Shelbyville.
Speaker 5: You know, you darn Darndale.
Speaker 3: Sticking with this, it's my new It's gonna be my new curse word substitution. Instead of damn it, I'll just say Darndale, yeah, or you could say Shucksville, you know.
Speaker 4: The statement did add according to people that the state pathologist was told about this discovery and the body part was removed for examination and DNA analysis which will help the police organization and confirming the identity and determine the course of the investigation.
Speaker 5: It does remain ongoing.
Speaker 4: When this was dropped by a bird on the schoolyard at around ten thirty am local time, there were fortunately no children at play. They were off on break for their midterm break. Yeah to your point. Been The Irish Independent reported that the severed hand displayed signs of injury and may have belonged to a local twelve year old boy who was injured from a gas can explosion the evening before. And you know, I was actually listening to this podcast that I enjoy where I heard this. It's called weird af News with Jonesy. Check it out. It's fun. And he pointed out that like, well, actually in real time, like asked the question and then discovered the answer. I know, you can reattach fingers. Can you reattach an entire hand? And there is a procedure for doing that, although the mobility and full you know, motor functioning of the hand would be severely.
Speaker 3: Limited, and it's super time sensitive, very time sensitives.
Speaker 4: At that point, it does say likely this injury occurred the night before, so you know, forensics surely, you know, took the hand from the scene, and I would imagine did anything they could to preserve it, knowing that they knew.
Speaker 5: So hopefully it's returned to its young owner. I mean, gosh, do.
Speaker 3: We know what kind of bird?
Speaker 5: Though no, no indication was to these species of.
Speaker 4: Bird we're talking about here, I'm picturing a very like an African swallow maybe two towing it on a line.
Speaker 3: I'm picturing something carnivorous, right, because we know raptors in Ireland. I think there are also some vultures, but its in eagle Yeah, eagle hawk raptors. Yeah, like there wouldn't be an owl would probably not be interacting at that point. Uh, you know they're they're kind of night boys.
Speaker 5: So yeah.
Speaker 4: Some of the some of the comments on the People magazine website, which they make very clear that they do not endorse the opinions and views shared by readers in comments. One of the very first ones man after my own heart, person human after my own heart. How very David Lynch. But then this one I find very fascinating. Did the bird eat the child? There is little transparency in the story. We have no idea if this builder is a type of raptor or not, nor did we know how young, slash small the child was. Raptors like eagles and hawks are large enough to snatch up children under four years old.
Speaker 5: Good points.
Speaker 4: Oh, also, I know, I know it is a little finger wagging at people, which, by the way, our dear friend Jordan Rundog yes, used to I believe right for people. I'm not sure if he was a staff writer or not, but I mentioned to him how lately people like I don't know if you guys see this or follow it or it pops up on any of your feeds. But people, the species are the mag people the magazine mainly are focusing these days on the darkest, most bummer of stories. And I think he said that there's an inside joke among folks that maybe have worked there that I think they refer to it as like sad people or.
Speaker 5: Something like that.
Speaker 4: But AnyWho, I did think that was a bizarre and Lynchian story that I just wanted to lead with, so nothing much to maybe discuss there, much more so in these other stories, the second of which also involves a school.
Speaker 5: Actually, all three.
Speaker 4: Of my stories today involve strange occurrences at schools. In this next one, a teacher at a Salinas County school was put on leave and has apparently returned to the classroom after being accused of selling test enhancing pills to students. This is a tricky story, and there's no name's name, which I think is good because this is kind of like a situation where there could be some I don't know, maybe someone trying to get this teacher in trouble. Maybe there's a grudge or something we don't know, But a lot of this information comes from text messages that were received from a particular student by their parents. A high school math teacher in California. This is coming from fourteen news dot Com was on leave and under investigation for allegedly trying to sell pills to his students. I'm getting these messages from my daughter that her teacher is selling drugs in classroom to enhance homework and test performance, and I just thought, maybe she's taking it out of context, said the student's mother, who didn't want to be named or named their child, of course, and goes on to say this is appalling. There is no way a teacher is doing this, to put that onto teenagers who are still learning, their brains are still developing, and you're normalizing drug use within a classroom in the middle of a fentanyl crisis. It's absurd. The lack of judgment to me is astounding. So if true, if these were in fact active ingredient containing narcotics of some kind, stimulants, whatever, all of that holds true, and the judgment or lack thereof point also holds true. In this alternate scenario which the police have put forth, that it's possible that this was just a silly joke the teacher was playing. Apparently, when one student asked the teacher what was in the pills, the teacher said it was a secret.
Speaker 3: Okay, fast forward to court your order, I plead.
Speaker 4: Silly joke, yeah exactly, And I was selling the tests or sorry, I believe the.
Speaker 5: Study homework enhancing variety and.
Speaker 4: The test enhancing variety five and ten, respectively dollars American list price though sorry more so five for homework, twenty five for test dancing. Yeah, and also recommended taking fifteen a week for maximum ethics.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I asked what is in them?
Speaker 4: The text message to the parent that screenshot it here, and he said it's a secret. So even if silly joke, y'all, the point about the a fentanyl epidemic and normalizing drug use, we know a lot of young people take things like riddling off label, you know, literally black market so that they can grind out studying with all the pressure that's put on tests, on these high high pressure tests. So to have a teacher even as a joke whatever, they were really awful.
Speaker 3: That's also three hundred and seventy five dollars a month just for the test enhancement pills. If it's if you have to take at least fifteen and they are twenty five US dollars of pop, right, that's three hundred and seventy five US dollars. That's egregious. Sell cheaper drugs, oh, one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: And I tend to believe the idea that this was some sort of.
Speaker 5: Off the you know, off the joke.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but like, yeah, I don't think any money exchanged hands, y'all. But the point remains from another teacher, another a student's parent. Now, if they see a teacher joking, even joking about that kind of situation, then what kind of example is that setting for our children?
Speaker 5: I think it's atrocious. He doesn't know these children's.
Speaker 4: Medical history, he doesn't know what their allergies are, and he's hawking a secret pill that they could then take and something really horrible could happen.
Speaker 5: Again, I think it was.
Speaker 4: More of like a gag where he would never actually have given them to the students. But not very smart on the part of the teacher, even if he like, what's the joke there, what's the teachable moment there?
Speaker 5: It's just pretty gross.
Speaker 4: Like in terms of the normalization of drugs, with the implication there of saying, you know, it's just an authority figure.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, it's also a story that was told to a parent by a student, right right. And the official update that was given by the principal of the school is that the Salina's police department and the human resources department of the school work together investigated and they quote found no findings in the staff member is returning to the campus.
Speaker 3: I saw that, yeah, And it's also it's also perhaps if we game it through, it could be one of those things where the teacher is making a joke that gets taken out of context or gets extrapolated beyond its original scope. And maybe the whole answer was the reason I'm bringing up the math here. Maybe the whole answer was, if you can't afford the pills, I have something that's even better than drugard, which is studying. And here are some resources. Because look, we are severely pro teacher and pro education on stuff they don't want you to know. We have close family members who are or were during their lives educators. Of note, Teachers are not in it for the money, you know what I mean, not like those fancy guys do an improv comedy. They're in it because they want to make the world a better place, and usually they're going to have a great sense of humor, very approachable people. They just worked so hard, can't we though?
Speaker 4: Agree though, Like, I'm not trying to throw any teachers under the bus here that even if this were a joke and it did have the teachable kind of punch line that you're describing, ben just a little in poor taste given the situation, the circumstances that we're living in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, yeah, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 2: Just skeptical that it happened at all.
Speaker 5: I agree with you there too, Matt. I do agree with you there too.
Speaker 4: It does sound like the main source was one student, So I'm really sorry if I made this blew this out of proportion. I just thought even the reporting of it is interesting. But yeah, I certainly was never implying that I thought this actually happened, or that there was a teacher slinging drugs per se. But yeah, no, I think it's a very good point. Although sure is specific, isn't it, Like I mean, the kid was saying it was in a plastic baggie, there are two different ones. Had the price point I mean, if you're going to make up a lie about a teacher, like it's an odd one.
Speaker 3: Let's go to TikTok, which is clearly the world's number one source of unbiased, fact based news, and let's see what TikTok says.
Speaker 5: Yes, absolutely, and.
Speaker 3: If we're all are doing bad, if we're od TikTok, right, maybe maybe we could check out another true story you found, which is of definitely not a bad joke, but no arguably something that is a much more dangerous conspiracy.
Speaker 4: Really rough, guys, I don't know if you remember, there's a series of like underground like internet videos called.
Speaker 5: Bum fight Fights. Yeah, back in the day, it was just awful.
Speaker 4: It was literally, you know, folks rounding up unhoused people and paying them money to like beat the crap out of each other. And apparently something like that, it's very much been happening. And another the last story was in California. This is in another I guess not really an educational facility, but a you know, child youth detention centers I guess what you might call it for juv for a juvie one hundred percent. And there have been reports more than reports, actually, there have been indictments or at the very least arraignments. In a case of officials there, I guess what you would call security staff that type of position. I've apparently been encouraging young people inside its facility in Downey, California to fight each other in gladiator style battles. Thirty officers have been charged in connection with what are being called by the BBC gladiator fights they sometimes encouraged inside of California Youth Center. According to the state's Attorney General. Charges against them are including child endangerment, abuse, conspiracy, and battery. And that's according to Attorney General Rob Bonta's official press release that came out this week. There have been an estimated sixty nine fights documented at Los Padrinos Juvenile Hall there in Downy from July to December of twenty twenty three, and an investigation into these brawls started after footage from one of these fights was leaked, which led to officials discovering one hundred and forty three victims involved in this organized fighting, ranging from ages twelve to eighteen years old.
Speaker 5: Wow, that's just not good man.
Speaker 2: No, it does make me wonder. Okay, do you guys have the thing where if you're in a really bad mood or you're feeling down, a little bit of aggression, like getting out a little bit of aggression actually helps stabilize your mood. Is that I think you either.
Speaker 4: Hit like a heavy bag or a willing participant, you know what I mean, or it's lift some weights or something and not be coerced by you know, youth detention officials to beat the crap out of my fellow you know kids.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I know that's not what you're doing. I know that's not what you're suggesting, Matt.
Speaker 2: I just yeah, what I'm suggesting is I wonder if some kind of like martial arts training with the mental and like almost quasi spiritual thing that goes into that training would be a massive benefit for chill who are in detention centers like this, where you get that that training and you get aggression out in a you know, a positive way.
Speaker 4: It teaches you how to focus it differently and also how to respect it. And if my understanding of you know, those kinds of classes for young people, it's a lot of it. It's about knowing when you know how to pick your battles and using it as a last resort. And having respect for your opponent and things like that, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and for your teacher. So I do, yeah, I want all right, just quote.
Speaker 4: Just to give you more of a sense of it. It does seem like these videos where it's not clear yet as to whether they were being sold or streamed or whatever. But watching the videos from that press release from Bonta, the Attorney General, the officers look more like referees or audience members at a prize fight, not adults charged with the care.
Speaker 5: And supervision of young people.
Speaker 4: The officers don't step in, don't intervene, and don't protect their charges. Our department is coming from the La County Probation Department, which runs the facility, says our department sought the assistance of law enforcement authorities when misconduct was discovered. Since then, we have fully collaborated with our law enforcement partners.
Speaker 5: Two of the teens.
Speaker 4: Involved have hired lawyers and they're you know, this is obviously a really sticky situation for the county, you know, and the authorities they're running the facility. So yeah, one of the teens was seen being attacked in one of the videos, a sixteen year old, and this is a person who is being represented by a lawyer named Jamal Tewson, who also said the other teams he represented were attacked multiple times in a single day at the facility, one of the clients being left unconscious and with potential TBIs or traumatic brain injuries. Pretty nasty stuff, y'all. So I think that's my time. If anybody, I don't know, if you can ben any thoughts on teen fighting rings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, many co co combat is non ideal, and there's a long historical precedent of it, so maybe it's something we explore in the future.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, good point, and it probably you know, it's not something I really thought about until I saw this story, But I imagine in places where there is less oversight, man, mar you know, we've just been talking about that region a lot lately. If this kind of thing isn't even more widespread, like if there's human trafficking for the purposes of ill gotten gains, this could well be a thing that people are doing.
Speaker 5: You know, I don't know, it just occurs to me.
Speaker 4: Let us take a quick break here, a word from our sponsor, and then we'll be back with some more strange news from mister Frederick.
Speaker 2: We've returned guys, are you as stoked as I am for lunar commerce?
Speaker 3: You absolutely know I am. It's unfair for you to ask me on air, but yeah, I actually almost texted text to you guys with some of the I don't know. We should call them big wins, right, these are big wins. Just the math of getting to the Moon is crazy.
Speaker 2: This is massive, you guys. It's almost mass effect level massive. We're on the moon. A private company has successfully landed a lander on the Moon. It was in orbit around the Moon. It was on autopilot, then it went into autopilot landing mode, and it successfully with all of its tripods, landed on the Moon.
Speaker 3: It is the first.
Speaker 2: Time a private company has put a spacecraft on the Moon without you know, immediately crashing or falling over and being able to use its instruments the way it wanted to. That.
Speaker 3: We know about. That, we know about We have to say that just you're right, get in front of it.
Speaker 2: You're right, you're right. But this is super We're exciting. It happened the last Sunday as we're recording right now, March second. The company's name is Firefly Aerospace. The lander is called the Blue Ghost which is kind of cool to named after a rare species of firefly.
Speaker 5: Just kind of dope. They kind of missed the opportunity to call it space ghost.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a really good point.
Speaker 5: I don't know, I'm just saying blue ghost.
Speaker 3: That's a really good point, though. Somebody right to.
Speaker 5: Them for that comment. Card. Sorry, Matt carry Out.
Speaker 2: I watched the clip this morning of Conan on Space Ghost Coast. Yeah, the space ghost sees a little ant and is crawling on him and he shoots it and he's like, you know, destroys the ant, and there's another ant and he says, oh, the ant has returned. The ghost ant is to avenge his brother or to avenge himself or whatever.
Speaker 5: Any what a weird and wonderful show. Glorious.
Speaker 2: Okay, but back to space in the moon. This is huge, you guys, because this thing was carrying a drill, a vacum and quote other experiments for NASA, and it was the first successful attempt in NASA's very interesting thing they've got going on right now called the Commercial Lunar Payload Services Program, which is attempting to get a bunch of private companies to compete with each other to get to the Moon and get that science slash commerce going very very again. I can't I can't overemphasize how awesome it is that this happened. You can watch a video that was edited from footage that this thing, the Blue Ghost took as it descended from orbit and landed on the Moon, and it's we're talking four K footage, baby, We're talking. It looks like what you imagine a mood landing should look like. And I'm just assuming it's real. I have to assume it's all real. It's cool, it's it's just for sure happened.
Speaker 3: It is real because just just Freddy who's asking clearly a valid question. You can go to multiple non biased objective sources for nerds who study the sky, the launches confirmed they got to the correct point. Their incredibly difficult math turned out to work this time. And even at that point, by the way human civilization, the smartest humans who know who spent their lives just tried to get to the Moon, they're still sort of rolling the dice. This is bleeding edge science, and the point you're bringing up here, Matt, is something we talked about in previous episodes, as well as strange news and listener mail. The monetization is the tricky thing, right. The pure science is being funded at least partially because there are some entities that expect some kind of financial return. Whatever the time window is on that ROI, there are clear realistic expectations that something will work out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one big old investment in this one lander, in this one company. NASA chucked out one hundred and forty five million dollars to make it happen, to launch it, and they paid forty four million in total for the science and tech on board, one hundred and one million for the delivery itself, which is still mind bonded, mind bogglingly expensive to get this thing to happen, but worth it because of the investment. We talked about how it carried a vacuum in a drill. The vacuum is to study moon dirt for analysis.
Speaker 5: Moon dirt, I don't funny.
Speaker 2: Moon dirt and debris and just the dust particles were a massive problem for the Apollo astronauts for those missions. If they actually happened, I think they did, maybe I don't know. So they're gonna analyze the dirt. See how we can mitigate that dirt in future missions, right how it's everywhere, Yeah, yeah, and even I think it has a special thing on board to cleanse itself of the moon dirt, which is pretty dope.
Speaker 3: Clean yourself up, Moonlander.
Speaker 2: Because it gets in all the sensors, it gets in all the cracks and all the things you don't want that in there. But it also carried a drill to go down about ten feet below the surface to study temperatures of the Moon's surface, which is pretty cool. And there's end quote other experiments for NASA, so we don't know what those are. It reminds me of the X thirty seven B. There's experiments on board for science.
Speaker 3: X thirty seven B finally got back on social media.
Speaker 2: That's kind of tight, isn't Oh yes, we're gonna talk about a picture that was shared in just a moment that was foreshadowing.
Speaker 5: Isn't that the name of Elon Musk and Grimes's baby.
Speaker 2: X thirty seven B does a joke, does a little joke. That's an awesome name.
Speaker 5: Oh no, it's basically that it's very close to that as it's actually something.
Speaker 4: It's they call him X for Shorty was the little little guy that was in the White House that said SpaceX we do whatever we want and you can't stop us, or whatever.
Speaker 5: He said, I shall.
Speaker 2: Name my child after this unmanned space shuttle that can stay in these It's like x A.
Speaker 3: E A dash XII.
Speaker 4: It's like the AE and on Ama by tool. It's that little I guess it's Greek.
Speaker 5: Yeah, also true, Yes, callback then I love flux.
Speaker 3: But as we're saying, this is a perhaps most perhaps most honestly this private entities partnership with one of the premier public entities and all of space exploration, perhaps it's best seen as a harbinger. Someone's doing the homework here, and I love Matt that we are more than once pointing out the vague, the vague reference to miscellaneous instruments, which probably means they're at a little bit too complicated to describe in a clean sentence for we land lubbers. Sure, maybe maybe there's stuff like spectrograph analysis. I'm just gonna throw some more science words, like what's a really science you word?
Speaker 5: Mitochondria? You got mitochondria is great?
Speaker 3: They got a mitochondria reader in cephalopathologic or gravitational The Jonkers.
Speaker 2: Well, see, I think you need some kind of microphones on there to study the lunar songs that the Apollo astronauts heard, because we got to figure out what the heck's going on there.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, hopefully they're doing a podcast with this lander, right, is the lander doing a podcast? No?
Speaker 2: No, no more podcasts, please a moon cast. But study the sounds. I think there might be some sounds, even though there's no atmosphere to send sounds out yet. Those astronauts heard songs anyway. Weird stuff. But let's just talk about this whole commerce thing because it goes further tomorrow. We're recording this on Wednesday, March fifth. Intuitive Machines, a second private company, is attempting to land their second lunar lander on the Moon. They tried last year and it was like a tripod situation, and when it landed successfully, it tipped over because one of the legs malfunctioned, And that's why Firefly gets that coveted first private lunar landing. But Intuitive Machines was there and they almost made it. A bunch of other companies have tried it and almost made it, but their landers have crashed or just haven't functioned properly. Intuitive Machines is putting their second one up there, and like hopefully it happened. You'll know by the time you hear this if it did or not, so you can search it up if you want to. It's Intuitive Machines. Their lander is called the Athena and it's also known as I Am Dash two. That's Intuitive Machines too. Pretty cool stuff, guys, and there are more to come just like this. There's another company called Eye Space that is going to be having another launch in May or early June to get up there and study things. The cool thing about Athena, I believe, and I may be getting this confused with Eye Space because I've read too much about these three together. I think the one from Intuitive Machines is going to be studying water content on the Moon. It has it has a bunch of different sensors to study water. Super cool, and you know that's what the commerce stuff is all about, right, that water, the helium three, all of the various resources that can be extracted from the Moon and resources that can be used to build on the Moon.
Speaker 3: Right. Because it's a question we asked in a previous episode, is there any economic viability to transporting resources back to Tara or Earth. Yeah, or is the is the real opportunity for investment in leveraging materials on the lunar surface or on the Moon overall such that you can construct bulwarks or beachheads toward further exploration of the Solar system. And I think the ladder is where this smart money is right now. Because water is just so heavy. Why would you fly water back?
Speaker 2: But you could use that water to feed everybody.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying you for again, the ladder part. You want to not have to move water right or to move it as uh as little as possible. So if you can find potable water on the Moon, you have saved so much time, sweat and energy, because otherwise, you know, it's one of the heaviest things you have to launch with astronauts currently yep.
Speaker 2: And eventually you just turn that water into p via a human and then you turn that peed back into water on the lunar base.
Speaker 4: Can't pee in a mister coffee and get out tasters choice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, guys. Have you have you seen the new mister coffee machines? Though it's just straight up peak y'all?
Speaker 4: In Qatar where Ben and I were for ridiculous history. Shenanigan's the coffee machines there are not mister coffee, y'all, they're doctor Coffee.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you got the degree.
Speaker 2: Nice, nice. Just back to the moon, guys. Remember these are the unmanned missions by private companies happening right now this year. The next phase are going to be manned missions back to the Moon to really pursue some of the stuff based on the findings that these unmanned missions have discovered, so pretty crazy stuff. Let's jump to the X thirty seven B that we talked about just for a moment. There, the X thirty seven B, the unmanned tiny little space shuttle. It gets launched up into orbit and then stays there for over a year, as we talked about last time, hundreds and hundred of days, just doing its own thing.
Speaker 3: With a really secret little pickup bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah essentially, Yeah, a Toyota Tacoma sized payload who knows what it's doing, and it can do all kinds of very interesting maneuvers that the United States Space Force calls aerobraking, where it can change its orbit using minimal fuel, and it can probably do a lot more things than that, but they're willing to talk about that on X at least the Space Force which is at Space Force DoD by the way, if you want to follow. They shared a photograph taken from the X thirty seven B while it is in orbit, and it is a photograph of Earth and you can see I guess what is the underside of the X thirty seven B and a solar panel there. But it is the first time I think I've ever seen something from the X thirty seven B while in orbit. Can you guys recall anything else. That's the first time I've seen it.
Speaker 3: This is the first public visual content released regarding that. Now we know in our previous episodes like Space Ghost Return of X thirty seven B and our other episode few years before, we know that there's quite a lot of observation about its path, its orbit, and its changes in orbit. But if you go to if you are looking now for clear footage from the perspective of X thirty seven B, as you were pointing out, Matt, this is the only source. You can also see a bunch of pictures of X thirty seven B on the ground. There are some there are some boffins who have managed to take pictures of it on its flight path, but they're very they're very not great pictures, just being.
Speaker 2: Honest, heard heard, well, Earth looks just tiny, so precious.
Speaker 3: I like the color scheme though, That's what I would say. If we're flying into the Solar System, I'd be like, oh nice, look at that kind of blue one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has an atmosphere, you can tell by all the white cloudy.
Speaker 3: Bits, right right? Do we know the future of X thirty seven B here though, Matt, this has been a fascination of ours for quite some time now.
Speaker 2: I am not up on my X thirty seven B, C, D, E, F, or G knowledge. Right now?
Speaker 5: What do they call this? Wasn't the plane an X Men? The X wing?
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, okay, I wonder if it's I don't know, never mind, sorry, no, no.
Speaker 3: No, you're right, you're right. The uh we're not going to pull the nerd card on this yet, but you are right. The X wing for the X Men, and they probably named it that just to just to keep the X theme going. The X thirty seven that we're talking about as an orbital test vehicle on manned like Matt was saying, and made by Boeing. Yes, been in the news recently, we can say no human passengers to our knowledge have ever been injured on an X thirty seven or the X thirty seven series, again primarily because it's an unmanned craft. But you know, let's take the wins where we find them.
Speaker 2: Ye Oh, people are always writing about it. I feel like once you learn about the X DASH thirty seven BAKA orbital test vehicle from Boeing, you can also just look up Boeing X DASH three seven because it will show you all the iterations of it. Well not all of them, but once you learn about it, it's one of the only things that matters in space. It's like, how what is it doing up There's building? Yeah, you could see something at least as a recording from nineteen forty five some website I've never heard of, and they just posted about it, and they are posting about what is it doing secretly up there? Hiding out in space for years? But yeah, exactly dude. All right, that's all I got guys. Space is cool. The Moon is about to get super commodified. Congratulations, we did it.
Speaker 3: We did it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we did it.
Speaker 3: Woolly mice on the moon, next step space mammoths. Right, the logical conclusion here, folks, thank you so much as always for joining us for strange news. We cannot wait to hear from you. There's a lot we didn't get to, particularly because a lot of stuff happened while we were on our respective roads. But we're back. We're so glad that you're back with us as well. We want to hear your thoughts. So hit us up online, hit us up on email, call us on a telephonic device. If you meet my parole officer, tell them I'm cool.
Speaker 5: They already know that.
Speaker 2: Ben.
Speaker 4: You can find us all over the internet on your social media platform of choice at the hand the conspiracy stuff where we exist on Facebook with our Facebook group here's where it gets crazy. On YouTube with video content galor for YouTube enjoyann on x FKA, Twitter.
Speaker 5: On Instagram and TikTok. However, we are conspiracy stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh, if you want to call us, we have a phone number. It is one eight three three st d WYTK. It's a voicemail system. When you call in, you've got three minutes. Say whatever you choose. Do give yourself a cool nickname and let us know within the message if we can use your message on the air. If you've got more to say than can fit in that three minute voicemail. Why not, and said, send us a good old fashioned email. We are the.
Speaker 3: Entities that read every piece of correspondence we receive. This is a way to contact us, without word limit, without content constraints. We can all see it, we can all respond, and on that note, be well aware, Yeah, out afraid. Sometimes the void writes back, what are we talking about? Are we telling you the truth? There's one way to find out. Join us here in the dark conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they Don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.