Speaker 1: Our pitching department does a great job of preparing us every single day, every single series to bring out the best in each of us.
Speaker 2: Hey, we've got Matthew Boyd of the Cubs joining us right now infout Territory. Matthew, great to have you back on. First off, nice and simple. What's the best most underrated part of being with this organization? Like, give me something that you didn't expect that they do really well. It could be something super simple like they have the best cookies in the clubhouse or whatever, or could be something about the ballpark.
Speaker 3: What are you seeing it and how you doing.
Speaker 4: Doing good? Man?
Speaker 1: Loving being a Cub. The clubhouse is amazing. I mean, you know yours. You heard about it from the visiting side. The visiting side at Wrigley, you know is is older, it's gotten better over the years. But you know, it's like you hear about how great the home side was. The home side's amazing. It's it's it's really special. The food's a lead. Getting to play at Wrigglely every day is really awesome though. Man, I mean that's that's like three things. I'm I'm sold on it. But it's a wriggly day. Game.
Speaker 4: It is special.
Speaker 3: Man, is it Matthew or matt Which one is it? Before I dig in here?
Speaker 1: Whatever you want, man, Matthew, is the game that you know? That's the name that you know that mom and dad gave me and go to make does you?
Speaker 3: And when they get mad at you? What does your mom and dad call you?
Speaker 5: Matthew?
Speaker 6: Robert Matthew, Robert matd Bob mad Bob.
Speaker 5: Matt Bob So Matthew.
Speaker 6: First of all, there's a couple of things I want to say. You know, the clubhouse is great. It looks like a club. Scot's jealous. I mean he's only got one eye, but I mean all the neon lights and all the stuff they have that goes on in there is pretty cool. I have to admit it's a cup hater. I have to admit that. But now playing it Wrigly, you don't know this because you're only played at the new Wrigley. But back in the day before they put up those scoreboards in each side of the thing, it was awesome, right, I must to call me, old guy, get off my lawn. And I wish they would have taken those and just left them down and just had the one score work because you'd be behind the plane and you're like looking up at the game and you're like, number eleven's pitching for Cincinnati against number two for Pittsburgh. And then you have to go look at the roster and you're like number two is this guy? Number eleven is?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay, now who's pitching?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: Like that was the charm of Wrigley.
Speaker 5: Now they don't have that.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: I'm still trying to figure out.
Speaker 1: The centerfield scoreboard is like with the numbers on the starting pitcher, Like, is that is that the number they are on the roster because it's not the playing numbers, Like what do you know what that is?
Speaker 3: Like, that's what I'm saying. It's the number on the roster.
Speaker 6: So you have to kind of like I think it goes alphabetical, so if you kind of know the teams, you're like, all right, habit, Green Lodolo.
Speaker 3: You're like, okay, okay, maybe I'm on this one. I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm still I'm still figuring that out. It's cool though, man, Like the history behind it is so.
Speaker 4: It's it's it's just it's special.
Speaker 5: You walk around, you walk around a lot, I mean talking to guys that play there even for a year or like five years and become like Cubs legends. They always talk about walking around the stadium. Do you ever do that? And like do you get noticed or you're not get noticed?
Speaker 4: You get noticed a little bit. You know.
Speaker 1: It's such a cool like regular Ville is such an awesome area. So uh, it's just so so different. You know, it's a stadium in a neighborhood, so you get to there's so many cool things to do, get spots to eat. So we're a huge family. We got four kids, man, so you can't really miss the Boyd family. So uh, you know we're getting noticed a little bit. But yeah, we walk around and experience it and it's again, it's so special.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm grateful to be a Cub and get to you know, call that place my office right.
Speaker 6: Now, Matthew. Two things about this one. You know all the workers they are a white Sox fans. So don't let them full you. They're all white Sox fans down, okay, because you know how many well come employees I have, we would play Cubs white Sox.
Speaker 3: That they would be like, hey, listen, I might be wearing this color but go White Sox. I really don't like them.
Speaker 6: So just keep We'll keep that quiet for now. And then second of all, I played in the Kingdome and that place was a rat trap. Okay, So I mean from go from Kinggo to the Safega was like, oh my gosh, like what a great place. But the King Goo that it wasn't quite as bad as like Old County Stadium, but it was when that place went down, it wasn't like there wasn't a lot of people crying, except for maybe some inters. All right, But when you're in Chicago and you say you have four you know, you have four kids, you're walking around, what's your spot? You I don't want you to tell me where you i''m assuming you live somewhere around Wigleyville, right, do you have a spot you kind of sneak into with your family just to get away.
Speaker 4: We're finding some right now.
Speaker 1: You know, it's still it's still new to us, right, Like we're we've we've hit up some good restaurants and uh and uh, we've we found some places really like my wife and I are finding some good date spots, you know, but uh, the kids, the kids found a good ice cream spot and they're they're all about it. You know, there's that Jenny's ice cream in the area, and uh that's a real treat for them right now.
Speaker 5: So yeah, all right, No, My my question is we're going to bring up a picture here and we talk about jerseys and jerseys changes. Can you confirm or deny for me? Is that a jersey that doesn't button the whole way down? Is your Is that a shirt or is that a piece of velcrow that's holding that holding your jersey clothes? Because you have a top two buttons undone.
Speaker 1: So I yeah, I like the top. I like the top buttons undone. That's a that's a Happer move right there. Ian happm uh in spring training he was he saw that, he saw the jersey open. He's like, hey, you gotta try stitching it like this, and.
Speaker 4: His is stitched all the way down.
Speaker 1: Is Danny the clubhouse you know, clubhouse manager. He kind of puts a little seam in there. So I tried it out in Tokyo. I'm a fan. You know, it's got to go over the top. You can't un button it anymore. But uh, yeah, I like that. That's a that's a hat tip to Ian happ right there.
Speaker 5: So you got your jersey customized and last year Nike said no customizations. Did you have to get this? Did you have to get this like passed by the league? Are you allowed to do this? And do you think other guys are going to follow? I?
Speaker 1: Okay, so it happened in the clubhouse. After the fact, Danny, Danny's navigating all those things. If there was anything, I know nothing of it. No one's gonna follow a thirty four year old left handed pitcher in terms of fashion sense.
Speaker 4: Let's just say that, right.
Speaker 1: If they do, that's cool, you know, and that'll be a first for me. Hey, my wife likes the way I look in the uniform, so that's all that's that's going for me. You know, That's what matters.
Speaker 2: Most FT fan by now, you know, if you're buying, selling, trading, collecting cards, Arena club is the spot. We've been talking about them all season long. But I do want to focus on the slab pack experience, scrats, since you've been ripping some slab packs digitally and what happens.
Speaker 5: I mean, as a kid, you wanted to rip open the packs. How can they do this digitally? Oh? Baby, this is exciting how the graphics come out and everything. And oh yeah, the card that you pull you can actually get that John physically, so it's perfect. It's all in one place and it's a super exciting experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they send that to you from the vault if you want it. But if you look at it and you're like, it's not the card for me, I want to sell back, go for it. You can do any of that on Arena Club, and you can acquire the best value for your money with those slab packs, transparent checklists, and Arena Club's slab Safe program. Right now, you can get twenty percent off your first slab pack or card purchase by going to Arena club dot com, slash foul and use code foul.
Speaker 6: Matthew, are you I was never on button my jersey guy, Like I just took it off every time, Like, never un buttoned to put it on, never on. So you must be a non unbuttoned guy, right, you just pull it off? Yeah, like a shirt. Now, I think at the top, Now, now, is there a reason for that? Because I was just lazy? Now, there were times that I would get mad and I would rip them off and all the buttons would go flying like whole coomnia. But I don't think with the new style that I can be stuck. So I don't know. I like it, but I don't know. It's not practical. When you get angered, you're like, I know, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean I I don't think I had that kind of grip strength, like you had to pull that thing off and let the buttons stead of shooting everywhere.
Speaker 4: You know, I've anger wise, I don't know if.
Speaker 1: The jerseys what's gonna get you know what the anger is gonna get taken.
Speaker 4: Out on the jersey mean for me?
Speaker 1: But uh yeah, you're not tearing those stitching. That thing's reinforced, so uh something else is gonna go before that stitching does.
Speaker 4: Danny does a good job with that thing. All right.
Speaker 5: Now, actual baseball questions, Okay, with your history with how you kind of came back last year, injuries that you were coming back from when you sign this contract. We talk about it all the time, starting pitchers, injuries, starting pitchers on teams that want to make the playoffs. Cubs are in place to make the playoffs. Do you fight back against organized or the organization front office if they're like, hey, we want to make sure you're healthy for the postseason, We're going to miss a start, We're gonna go to six man here, we're gonna do a bullpen day. Do you fight back against that?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, when those situations arise, Counts us such a great job and Tammy of like, you know, they have a plan for everything, right, So when I'm sure there's nothing we can't talk through, you know, I know, I'm already over my innings total for the regular season and the playoffs combined last year. That being said, I feel great. You know, I think the ball's coming out of my hand, you know, in terms of velocity better than it really ever has, and feel like you were in a great spot with that. The training staff has been awesome, and you know we've got a good plan going forward. But I mean Counts has a lot of experience, Tommy has a lot of experience bolst on the coaching and the playing side. So when those situations come up, the goal is to be healthy all the way through the end of October. The goal is to be ready and pitching your best. So you got to be open to everything that's going to help the team win. You got to be open to just have the conversation.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't know what.
Speaker 1: The future holds, but if any of those things come about, you just talk it through, right and and you know those guys have a lot of wisdom to lean back on.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to ask you about the bullpen. Then.
Speaker 5: I don't know how much you know.
Speaker 2: You focus on individuals around you and what changes they make, But the bullpen for the Cubs over the past month or so in terms of BRA has been towards the top in baseball. Is there something that you can pinpoint that's done within the organization or by pitching coach and manager that helps guys really find themselves Because this isn't the marquee, big name bullpen at least right now that I'm looking at on paper. It's some guys that have kind of bounced around the league and now end up as valuable members of a really strong bullpen that's also missing a couple pieces.
Speaker 1: We have a lot of awesome guys down there, We have a lot of awesome arms. Our pitching department does a great job of preparing us every single day, every single series to bring out the best in each of us. But I think one thing that's always preached here is just like we we all have unique strengths and that's what makes us like who we are. That's what got us to where we are, whether it's you know, Press or Palencia or Palm or you know, anybody else. Like it's across the starting pitching side too, is that we you know, we all have game plans, we all know what the opponent does, but like what we do and what makes us inherently like you know, who we are individually is that's what that's what got us here. So you know, I think you see guys that you know it's it's preached to like, you know, double down on our strengths.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of good.
Speaker 1: Veteran leadership in the bullpen too, and you know that's what makes this club as.
Speaker 4: A whole really special.
Speaker 1: It's just the top to bottom, we got good people and we have a really fun clubhouseman to be a part of. We really like being around around each other and that's a it goes a long way when it comes to a baseball season, right and uh, you know, you're around these guys more than you are your own family. So I mean, we have a lot of fun. We pull for each other, we make each other better and uh, you know that's definitely the case down of the bullpen too.
Speaker 6: Okay, so you said that happ was the one who came up with the jersey idea, right, pie Crow Armstrong changes us hair every day. Dansby Swanson is like the All American perfect kid.
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 6: Did you expect the offense out of this team that you're getting? And can Pca win the MVP? Because I think he's kind of a little dark o course there for the old PC and he needs to go back to the stars in his hair now would help him.
Speaker 3: But like, what do you.
Speaker 1: Think, Yeah, we got a great offense, man, it's a it's a really deep lineup. We got guys that attack you in different ways. You know, they know how to work in a bat in different ways. We got guys that can run the ball out of the yard, give you along at bat. I mean, I think what's so special about this offense is like when you get to sit back and watch it, is like we can like score runs in so many different ways, whether it's a long ball, whether it's taking an extra base here, whether it's just getting a guy over, like I said, working in a bat, and it's really cool. Pete is special, man. What he can do in all facets of his game, whether it's on the base paths, how he plays defense, and how he can work in at bat, how he can you know, I mean.
Speaker 4: The power that he has.
Speaker 1: It's it's really fun to watch, man. It's like watching them dude really come into his own and he plays the game.
Speaker 4: At a at a at a high level.
Speaker 1: And I'm grateful he's in center field behind me, man, because there's balls that you watch get hitting the gap and like you just see him close on it.
Speaker 4: And you're like, oh, that's that's nice to have on our team. It's really special. All right.
Speaker 5: Last one, you're projected to start tomorrow. Correct, you're starting, So we're gonna let you go so that you can make it to your uber, your bus or your taxi at I mean, you're making some big cheese. Now are you still getting on the team bus to go to the field? And what does that schedule look like the day before a.
Speaker 1: Start coming up with those Tiger teams, I took way too many taxi cabs and ubers to beat the veterans to the field, you know, like Francisco Rodriguez and salta Lamachia, I mean salty was making like if you were there, if you beat you to the field. It was not good on any level. So you know, life was going to be miserable for the foreseeable future. So I did my taxi Uber time. Yeah, I'm hopping on the team bus and I'm not ashamed to say it. It's it's it's there and uh, you know, prestart, it's it's going over and going over. The guys I think are gonna be in the lineup tomorrow, understanding who's gonna you know, understanding some tendencies, seeing their swings for guys I'm not familiar with. And it's, you know, just kind of a prep day. Make sure you're getting to your top speeds, you know, weight room and you know, throwing wives and whatnot, and uh, just preparing for tomorrow, you know, and tomorrow's the fun day.
Speaker 4: You can deal compete.
Speaker 6: Yeah, ain't no way You're taking taxis. You make way too much money. So it's bus or Uber black.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 6: These people don't understand, like I tell them, like, I'm taking Uber black, and they're like, you gotta get the XL man, you gotta get the Uber the Ruber super small, Like we're tall people. I need the extra leg room. They get all mad at me because it costs like ten. I'm like, no, we're getting the big bar because I'm a big leaguer.
Speaker 5: Ten I mean.
Speaker 2: Not ten dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also, sometimes zuber X gives you a better car. Do it like an escalade.
Speaker 2: No, but you don't.
Speaker 3: Always get a big car.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you get like a little.
Speaker 4: Lincoln or whatever.
Speaker 3: When you get the blacks black is not you're getting a black or the XL.
Speaker 6: You ain't getting the You ain't getting the taxi, the yellow taxi.
Speaker 3: Like back in the day we used to take taxi because there was no Uber. But he he's a big leaguer, he ain't taking a taxi.
Speaker 1: I'm on the bus now there's always la him on the bus, you know, so I'm not not a shame of that.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get a bus from now on that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, you guys should give me a prevost and I'll take it to have all the four wings. You know what, you guys can you I might even let y'all sleep on.
Speaker 3: Thank you. We're getting a party bus.
Speaker 5: But Matt's got to get on his bus.
Speaker 2: So Matthew, thanks for joining us Man really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Good luck tomorrow.
Speaker 3: We'll catch you again in a few weeks.
Speaker 4: Thanks guy, have a good one.