Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it is Friday, October, third sentencing day for Diddy. They're on a lunch break as we speak, but we wanted to hop on because it has been a morning of developments and some of them jaw dropping. Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ Romes. We didn't know how long this thing was going to go. They're taking a lunch break, coming back at Too Eastern, still expecting to hear from Diddy. But this morning, things right off the bat were not going his way. Right off the jump, just hearing from the judge, you could tell he lost a couple of or Diddy at least lost a couple of arguments, if you will, with his attorneys and things they were trying to get into the sentencing memo, and we all kind of and a lot of reporters in the room that we are grateful for. There was a tone to where things weren't going his way well, and.
Speaker 2: It's the tone that we've heard from this judge. It feels like since the onset, and certainly as we've seen Diddy over the last several months try to eat, get out on bail, awaiting sentencing, trying to get charges or convictions thrown out, and the judge has not sided with him one single time from what I can recall. So he's consistent and he's staying on brand today.
Speaker 1: That's a very good point. The judge didn't surprise us at all with what he did. Off the top, we'll explain that this start at ten o'clock this morning. All of Didy's kids are there, his mom is there. He's described today as somber by some people in the courtroom from the courtroom observers. But today he dressed very casually. He's not in his prison uniform he's allowed to wear today, at least he was allowed to wear street clothes and V neck, tan sweater or something like that today. Now, headline one robes Mia, who testified under that pseudonym Mia former assistant. She requested to address the court. We found out immediately ain't happening.
Speaker 2: It ain't happening, and it didn't look good for Diddy because his lawyers sent a note to the courts, to the judge asking that she not be allowed to testify because they claim she is not a victim. Now technically did he was not convicted on the allegations made by Mia. But even the judge ruled that the way the tone of the letter was that it was inappropriate. The prosecution said that it was a bullying tactic by Diddy and his defense team. So by them trying to get Mia not to testify, which she is not going to, she sent a letter instead, it didn't make them look good, sympathetic or in any way despite his apologies that we've heard about, that didn't make him feel very sympathetic or that he had learned anything at least through this court system.
Speaker 1: Because the at least in their argument that she shouldn't be able to testify, it didn't sound like they were making legal arguments. It sounded very personal, and even the prosecutor called it unprofessional. They flat out called her a liar. This is all a show for her. She wants to come back now and be a part of the show. And I said to you this morning we were getting read, I said, man, I wonder if that could be seen as like like she's not going to show up because she might feel intimidated bullied. Yes, sure enough is exactly.
Speaker 2: What happened, which is exactly what we've heard from people like Cassi event to Refine, who say that's why they don't want Ditty out because they say, sure, he's putting on this nice guy show and telling you all these wonderful things he's done in prison and how he's a changed man. But when you read or heard about the tone of that letter and how he didn't want Mia to be given the opportunity to speak or address the court about being a victim of his that was some insight perhaps into this other diddy that we're hearing about from Mia, from other witnesses, from his alleged victims.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, she did submit her letter, not the same impact, but she did get a chance to submit a letter. Now, the things we talked about off top that didn't go his way Robes This is a big, big deal because this was a part of the fight the defense was happening with the prosecutors about what conduct of his should be considered in his sentencing. His two convictions are for transportation to engage in prostitution, essentially for being John. His defense team argues like, if this is all you're sentencing him for, then obviously he shouldn't get these big, some ten to twenty year sentence. Their argument is, yeah, you saw him beat her on camera, Yes he was a domestic abuser. Yes, he used drugs. Yeah, he wasn't convicted for any of that stuff. Well, now the judge this morning said, in fact, he is going to consider some of Ditty's bad behavior in sentencing him.
Speaker 2: This was huge, yes, and this was a big legal argument because Diddy's attorneys were trying to make the legal argument, the legal point that that shouldn't be considered. But the judge made it very clear that he can consider what they call acquitted conduct, the conduct that he was charged with but acquitted for, not convicted of by the jury. So you can, and the judge can certainly take into account Diddy's actions surrounding those charges that the jury didn't find him guilty of, meaning MEA's testimony is going to be considered by the judge and certainly cassi Ventur refines testimony is going to be considered by the judge as he makes his sentencing recommendation.
Speaker 1: All right, So that was one thing, the acquitted conduct can be considered. The other thing that can be considered excuse me, not to be considered as a part of the sentencing report. This pre sentencing report essentially you put all the information in there and it kind of gives you an equation for how much time somebody should get. Well. The defense wanted to include in there that Didty had taken responsibility for his actions. The judge said, oh, hell no, he has not.
Speaker 2: That is remarkable because yes, in our earlier episode, we read for you most of if not all, of Ditty's letter to the judge that he gave last night to the court, where he did say he was sorry, where he did write that he took full responsibility. But the judge wooh. The judge said, he expressed remorse for some things, but said quote Combs has challenged his factual guilt full throatedly and had done so even after trial.
Speaker 1: Ouch, how did she take responsibility if you're sitting here saying I'm not guilty. That was as simple a plane as you can make it. So they are not going to include in this sentencing report that he took responsibility. Also, the defense was arguing, trying to make sure in this sentencing report do not call Cassie Jane or those male prostitutes victims. Now, I don't know why this was so key, but it mattered, and they argued about it. Once again. The je said, on to the defense you're not gonna win this one.
Speaker 2: Either, that's right. The judge is allowing Cassie Jane and the male prostitutes to be referred to as victims in this pre sentencing report. So, yes, he has been delivered blow after blow today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this morning did not go well from him. And then so everything we're telling you led to what we are about to say now. So the defense Robes asked for fourteen months based on their calculation. Prosecution said he should get eleven years and three months based on their calculation. The judge with this pre sentence of report this morning, put all that information in there and he came up with the actual number that should be considered for how long did it should be in prison? In Robes, it is not looking good.
Speaker 2: No, seventy to eighty seven months. That's what the judge's calculation is based on the pre sentencing report. Everything that was put in. Is there a formula, an actual mathematic formula or an algorithm or something that he actually can put into a computer and it calculates it for him, or is he doing it in his own math in his own head.
Speaker 1: You know what. My understanding it is kind of like a legal like you fill in blanks. Is he, this is he, this is he, this and it and it's a standard form. And then after that it pops out and you go through and look and consider whatever scores or grades, and you go through and look and say, yep, this is the range of time he should get. So yeah, it's like it's like that. It's not literally that, but it's like putting numbers in a formula into an equation and then it spits out how much time you're to have. And this is what got spit out. So now it's not a matter that fourteen months and going home being home by Christmas.
Speaker 2: That's not happening. I think we can say that with pretty great assurance that he is not going home before the holidays or even before the end of the year.
Speaker 1: Given this judge. Now after he has said this. So that's what we're dealing with, is how far below or above the guidelines does this joke?
Speaker 2: So this guidelines is five years and ten months to seven years and three months, so seventy months to eighty seven months, that's I mean. So by that calculation minimum five years and ten months, maximum seven years three months. Now he can consider, like you said, to go up or to go down based on what he sees in court, but based on what we're hearing from the judge in court, doesn't seem like he's inclined to go down.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, that's a better way to put it. Even if he doesn't go up, I certainly don't feel like he's going to go down. It doesn't seem that six years for Diddy in prison potentially at this point what we're looking at and indications seem to be fourteen months so already that means he's an extra four years in prison possibly, Yes.
Speaker 2: And I think you know, you and I had been talking about it, having followed this trial every single day. We both kind of privately made our best guesses, and you and I were both right around five years. We said that seems like that might be where this is headed, and could be that's exactly where this is headed or worse.
Speaker 1: Yes, And so during the day today, this continue this morning. So this is kind of again we didn't know how long this is going to go, but it's gone into what feels like now an almost full day of a hearing. But the prosecution got to make a presentation, the defense got to make a presentation as well. Those are through at least, and the kids got to talk the prosecutors. It was interesting. This was the moment of the morning. I believe Robes that they described as like Diddy's head even shot up and people, they said, every person in the room, their mouth dropped open. Because this Robes, if it is true, I can't believe for a second that Diddy would be this stupid.
Speaker 2: Yes, and because it does not look good. The prosecutor told the court that Diddy had already booked speaking engagements in Miami for next week and called it the height of hubris for him to do that, that he had such an expectation that he was going to be released after this sentencing. Hearing that he actually booked speaking engagements in Miami.
Speaker 1: What was our reaction to it?
Speaker 2: My jaw actually dropped.
Speaker 1: I didn't think it was true.
Speaker 2: You actually didn't believe it.
Speaker 1: That can't be true. Nobody's that stupid. Did He's not? Obviously not. Of course, you wouldn't do that. That's and yet and yet it appears he did. However, there is more to that story. There has been a letter, a briefing that has been filed and put on file. They were the court from a non profit organization in Miami that deals with incarcerated individuals who are making a transition back into society. He did, He, according to this letter from this group, is signed up to speak at that organization on October fourteenth, seventeenth, twenty third, twenty fifth, and twenty nine.
Speaker 2: And look, you asked me if it made a difference in my reaction to know that he was speaking to a nonprofit group, and my answer is not really, because he's still putting on his hero cape. Look at me, I'm reformed. Let me help you do the same. Let me tell he's still And even in the letter he sent to the judge, he had he was looking at everything through his own philanthropy and his own ability to overcome and his heroism. That it's too soon for that. It's way too soon for that. He's just apologized yesterday for all of this, and now he's going to be this motivational speaker. I'm sorry if that makes me feel actually like physically ill in some shape. It doesn't sit right. It's not the right timing. And certainly, yeah, that is some ego there to think that you actually were gonna be able to go and stand in front of a crowd and be hailed some good guy who's turned his life around, who's gonna help other people do the same.
Speaker 1: I want to hear more about this. I still cannot believe anyone who would be this. That's not even arrogance, that's pure stupidity. You know, if somebody's gonna find out about it, it's gonna this looks terrible.
Speaker 2: The reports in the room, I know you said people like, I don't know if you specified it was his head shot off. They said like he couldn't believe that, almost as if because we don't know, but it seemed as if he was shocked that they knew that he had a speaking Hey, he had several speaking engagements lined up.
Speaker 1: This that this one makes no sense. I actually am reserving of my opinion on this one until I hear cause I just can't believe that anyone would do this. I don't care what it is, A dentist appointment, I don't give a damn. How are you gonna make plans for next week? You're essentially telling the judge, yeah, I know what he gonna do. I'm out of here. The judge might give him nine years.
Speaker 2: I mean, in all seriousness, yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, So the defense got to go up and make their presentation as well, and Rogues actually had two lawyers go up, and the second one Nicole Westmoreland, a black woman, who spoke for a little bit. She got quite emotional up there. Reports are she was crying and tearing up in there, but telling the story of what he has meant to the community and how much it was a big deal to see someone from where he's from succeed in the way he did. He built himself, he built an industry, he built a company, and I think, yes, that is all true, and he did contribute so much and his success story is a brilliant one. Today a presentation see someone crying on his behalf again reading the room today, the timing of the video and the speaking engaged.
Speaker 2: Can we talk about the video?
Speaker 1: We haven't talked about it. Was it twelve fifteen minutes?
Speaker 2: Whether it is yes, but it it was basically a highly produced, well lit video that showed did he running the New York City Marathon for a philanthropic cause, his playing with his young children, being a good dad, having people talk about what a phenomenal member of the community he's been. I'm sorry, but it's for me. That was just my initial reaction was and I have had moments where I have felt sorry for him in the sense that he had everything thrown at him and was facing charges that I don't even believe he necessarily should have been facing because he is who he was. And yet when that video, when we heard and saw some of the snippets, I just felt like it was manipulative. I felt like he thinks we're stupid, that somehow we just think he's this great guy. Now, it just it didn't. Not only did it not make me want to rally behind him or root for him, or hope that he gets a lighter sentence, it actually made me feel the opposite. That he was using his money, his wealth, his power to try and influence and the fact that he thinks we're so dumb that we're gonna fall for it.
Speaker 1: We've had a lot of feelings about this story, just as human beings watching this story. This is the one thing I couldn't believe how much of this video irked you. It really really did, and you see it. Dead timing is everything. This is the most I've seen you probably get annoyed.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Obviously he's behavior was atrocies and things we saw. But this set you off.
Speaker 2: It did today, it did. It did not sit well with me, and I can't imagine it sat well with the judge. But you know what, I don't know. That's just my personal reaction having listened to everything he's accused of having listened to these women, sob up there on the witness stand and talk about decades of abuse, and he's put together this shiny package of how great of a guy he is. It's tough, it's trying.
Speaker 1: He's trying to remind the judge what they call these mitigation factors, what they call well, yeah, he's trying to mitigate just how much his sentence will be by reminding that I was and I have contributed to society in a positive way in some way. I think that's all he's trying to do, Just show himself and remind the judge that hey, I've done some good stuff. Was as simple as that. It didn't work for me, But it just seems like a show at this time, like obviously we know what you're doing. And I think that's all you see when.
Speaker 2: You see that yes, yes, exactly, and know what you're trying to do, yes, and I think everyone's aware of some of the contributions he made. I mean, he was on his way to becoming a billionaire and he yes. I think in that sense, when you have that kind of a platform, there is a level of responsibility to do good and to be good. So I don't even give him that many kudos for what he did.
Speaker 1: Okay, I didn't think about it that way. But also in the courtroom this morning, folks reportedly did he was in tears? Did he was in tears in court? We will explain who was standing at that podium when did he started to cry. We continue now with Diddy. We are on standby as we speak. They are on a lunch break for his sentencing. Hearing going to start back up at two o'clock Eastern time. After that, we expect to hear from Diddy. We expect to hear from the judge. We expect to hear from his pastor as well. But we don't know how much longer this might go. But we will find out today how much time did he will get in prison. The judge has now set the guideline somewhere between roughly six and seven years, which is much higher than what the defense was asking for now robes his kid's guide up to speak. Six he's a six adult children got up to speak, and this was the moment they described in court that Diddy actually was absolutely in tears. Yeah, and his six kids got and we wondered where they are all going to speak individually, but they went up there as a group, and I bet that was a hell of a scene to see.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and that to me, so here we have now to me something that's real, something that I understand and I can relate to as a parent, as a human, no matter what you've done with your life, when your children get up there and speak on your behalf, that is an emotional, real moment that doesn't feel performative in any way. And so this is where I felt differently about what I've seen in the courtroom today, because if there was more of that, if there was more contrition, if there was more humility, I would feel a lot differently about what I've seen so far. This was a moment where there was those things. And so it was his daughter, I believe, who talked about watching him nurture her.
Speaker 1: Talking about this. So he has a two year old, so as the adult kids and then a little one two year old named loved name. So an older kid was talking about the two year old.
Speaker 2: Ana, So his daughter said, watching him nurture her, even from a distance, has been unexpectedly healing. I can see glimpses of the father he was to us as babies, But it also breaks my heart because my sister deserves so much more than this. I mean that, yes, but I also I don't know. Did to jump out to you that? She said, she can start to see glimpses of the fire he was to us his babies, meaning he still has a lot more work to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, but he's been in prison for a year. How much parenting in there? He said, worse two years of his life. You know, the past year was the hardest, probably the time he spent at prison. I'm not sure what kind of a guy, what kind of a father, what kind of a light? What kind of inspiration can he be to his kids? Behind a sell So, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so she went on to say this, and this was definitely going to pull at everyone's heart strings. We know he isn't perfect, and he has made many mistakes, and we aren't here to excuse any of those mistakes, but your honor, he is still our dad and we still need him present in our lives.
Speaker 1: I get that.
Speaker 2: I get that.
Speaker 1: And the kids who have lost who lost their moms.
Speaker 2: This is their only parent, so she said, our two year old sisters asking where dad is, the same way we grew up motherless. It's a hole that can't be filled. We are tired of being strong. We have already lost so much, our mother, our father. Please give us the chance to heal together and move forward together.
Speaker 1: I don't know what judges do. Well, that's just yes that your heart breaks for those kids.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Your heart breaks for those victims, for those women. It's hard. You would have to let your heart break a little bit for Diddy to give him leniency. You would have to, don't You have to have something that mercy? Yes? Is the judge going to give him any iota of mercy? I?
Speaker 2: You know, I wonder because again, I don't want to come off as harsh about my reaction to the video into the letter that he wrote the judge, But I guess I just feel like seeing his kids, seeing him humbled, see him seeing him cry, seeing the real emotion between him and his children. That is what moves you. And if he had said less done less, just said he was sorry and didn't go into how horrible his conditions are in prison and you know all of that. But if he just kept it simple and just said, I am sorry, I have no excuses, I am learning, I want to do better. I will accept whatever punishment you give me because I deserve that and more. Thank you for even considering what I had to say and leave it at that. Don't sit there and tell everybody how great you are, how wonderful you are, how much you've learned, how much you deserve a second chance. See, that's when you lose me. I want to see real humility and real heart, and I just for me, And maybe I am wrong, but it didn't feel it didn't feel like it came from the right place. It came from a place of survival and self preservation.
Speaker 1: And I get that. That is. Yes, he is trying to get that out of prison and throwing everything out. Would it make a difference, we don't know. And also will it make a difference whatever he actually says in court. Yes, folks, as we sit here, they're coming back from lunch break in just a little bit but he is expected to address the court this afternoon. How well scripted, how well rehearsed will he come off versus how authentic is what you said. We have not had an opportunity in the past year to see him as a human being until maybe this moment. We didn't even see it, but him crying because his kids were standing up there. That's a human moment that comes through even reading about what's happening in the courtroom.
Speaker 2: I just hope we see more humility and less hubris.
Speaker 1: All right, but folks, we will hop back on again, and reminder, if you want to keep up, there's a lot going on top right corner of your Apple podcast screen. There it says follow Just click that and you can get the updates coming to you from us. And there will be another one today for sure about Sean Diddy kom standing by waiting to see how long he is going to stay in prison. The judge has now said the guidelines say it should be anywhere from about six to seven years. Always appreciate you listening to us. We'll hop back on AM TJ here, talk to you soon.