Speaker 1: Hi it's akshat. There is now a ceasefire agreement between US, Israel and Iran for two weeks starting Tuesday. This week's episode, which was recorded before the ceasefire announcement, looks at the long term impacts that the war will likely have on the energy system. Even if traffic of oil and gas ships from the Strait of Hormos re starts, the effect on energy markets and policies will play out over months and years. Welcome to Zero I am Akshatrati this week the big energy pivot. When the US and Israel attacked Iran on February twenty eighth, energy markets panicked, but not a lot. There was an expectation that, even though Iran was attacking ships in the Persian Gulf and had effectively stopped traffic in the Strait of horm Moves, that things will calm down and the ships carrying twenty percent of the world's oil and gas will be back on the job. Thousands of people have been killed and dozens of ships have been attacked. When I wrote Climate Capitalism, which documented the solutions the world has deployed at scale two cut emissions, the stories typically had two major pivot points the oil crises of the nineteen seventies and the Paris Agreement of twenty fifteen. If a book about climate solutions is written in twenty fifty, I think there will be a third pivot point, the energy crises of the twenty twenties. So today I want to look at the kinds of long term changes that happen from energy shocks. The nineteen seventy three and nineteen seventy nine oil crises happened in short succession. It mostly affected rich countries that were prodigious consumers of imported oil from the Middle East. Those countries shifted their consumption of oil in power plants to natural gas and nuclear Major oil companies launched solar businesses and invested in energy research, which led to the invention of the lithium ion battery, and the International Energy Agency was born, creating the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to try and avoid such price shocks. There were also a slew of energy efficiency measures that were taken, including the Americans buying more efficient Japanese cars. The twenty twenty two energy shock hit Europe the most, but many gas importing countries also recoiled at the sky high prices. Of natural gas. The current shock is much bigger. It's both oil and gas, and it is bigger for countries in Asia and Oceania particularly. That means we are no doubt going to see long term changes, says Bloomberg opinion columnist David Fickling. I look forward to every column he writes, and right now, particularly his view on how the Asian energy market is going to evolve, is very useful. I hope you enjoyed this broad ranging conversation, David, welcome back to zero.
Speaker 2: Hey, thank you.
Speaker 1: So let's start in your home country to understand the myriad ways in which the closure of the Strait of Hormuz is having an impact on the energy world. Australia is one of the world's largest fossil fuel producers, so you would kind of hope maybe that Australia actually gets away more lightly in this energy shock than other countries. But Australia doesn't have much of its own oil and so it really relies on imports. And you wrote a column about the country's diesel imports and some of the numbers in there were really shocking that for a country that is less than thirty million people, Australia is one of the biggest world's biggest importers of diesel. It consumes more diesel per capita than any other country in the world, eighty percent more diesel than US per capita, which really does consume a lot of oil, and eight times as much as China. So why did Australia get hooked on diesel?
Speaker 2: It's fascinating. I was actually taking a long road trip. I live in Sydney and I was taking a road trip up to Brisbane, which, funny enough, was like my first long ev car trip. It's about nine hundred kilometers since nine hour drive a lot of the time. The only other vehicles on the road with me are just these enormous Technically we don't call them road trains. We call them b doubles. In Australia, it's a big truck with two trailers behind it. Further out in Australia there can be with three trailers behind them, or even four trailers behind them. But these are immense diesel powered monsters, as big as you'll see so of anywhere else. And there's just a constant stream of them going up and down the coast and going on all the big intercity routes and that's just a small part of the pitch that you have in Australia, and I think part of it is really because of geography and the structure of the economy. In terms of geography, most journeys between major cities in Australia are the best part of a thousand kilometer journey, So our rail system is quite underdeveloped and the distances are not very suitable for freight rail, so a lot of that gets done with diesel. Our economy is very dependent on mining and agriculture, and mining machineries are powered by diesel, and agriculture, you know, farming machinery is generally powered by diesel. So all of those countries to the fact that, as I say, you know, seven point seven barrels of diesel per person per year get used in Australia and it's sort of far more than any other country. Having said that, I think there's a crucial factor that you need to add to that, which is that we also subsidize diesel very heavily. It's one of the biggest spending programs that the government has. It's treated as essential to the economy because this is treated as a business input. Running a mine. One of your business inputs is diesel. So this, you know, you get a rebate on what you spend, but the scale of it and the distortion of it is what makes it really striking. We spend more on the diesel rebate than we spend on on the army, on the air force. We spend almost as much on the diesel rebate as we spend on public education. That you really get the sense of the importance of that when you start talking to people who are using a lot of diesel and on paper, would like to reduce their use of these diesel. All the mining companies they're obviously shying away from this now, but a few years ago they were, you know, very seriously looking into decarbonization, and they were talking a lot about decarbonization, but lots of fairly low hanging fruit that exists elsewhere just doesn't really happen very much in Australia. There's a lot of sort of talk about tentatively having electric mining trucks and things like this, but they essentially had some studies of this and most of them are not doing very much with this. You go to Chile, one of the biggest copper mines in the world to Coloquassi has overheadlines a little bit like tram lines for haulinger or out of the pit, and that's the standard way of doing it. If you go to Brazil, S eleven d, part of the biggest iron or mine in the world, has a huge piece of electric mining equipment that mines and prices and crushes the ore inside the mine. And of course, actually, if you're a sort of nerd about electric vehicles, of course the biggest electric vehicles ever built are actually in Germany. They're not a very net zero activity there in some of these enormous lig night mines in Germany, and they're all fully powered by electricity. So electric mining equipment is common elsewhere in the world, not in Australia, and I would argue part of the reason is that we're we subsidized diesel so aggressively that it doesn't make sense for miners to switch.
Speaker 1: Those gold diggers in Germany are so enormous. I think they're like five story buildings that run on electric just essentially taking tons and tons of earth with just one single swipe. But the point of me here is also one that I think you know, we know, but we don't really absorb, which is just how much policy matters in shaping our choices, especially energy choices. Let me give you the example of UK's diesel problem. So around two thousand and two, there is a policy brought in to encourage people to buy more diesel cars than petrol cars, because at that time there was the assumption that diesel was cleaner than petrol. And so even though the total volume of cars in the UK, diesel made up only fifteen to twenty percent at that time, because of the incentives that were given, tax incentives that were given, the sale of diesel cars really rocketed and by twenty fifteen, more diesel cars were being sold than petrol cars. And of course we know diesel Gate happened. Folkslagen got caught in the scandal. We learned that actually it is not cleaner than petrol, and then diesel car sales plummeted. But heavy goods vehicles, you know, UK doesn't have that much industry, but there are a lot of trucks they continue to run diesel, and actually the consumption of diesel hasn't fallen off. And now because of the way the country has been reconfiguring its refineries, etc. The UK is heavily dependent on importing diesel. About sixty percent of the diesel comes from the CREUD in the Middle East in some form or the other, direct or indirect, and so these policy choices really have a huge impact on the fuel dependency that is created as a result. But talk me through other examples in you're part of the world where the diesel dependency is something that could really be walked away from, at least on the road vehicle level.
Speaker 2: I think the most striking thing is actually what we saw happening last year in China, and this is I think not talked about nearly enough, but there's enormous potential there. And that's the scale of the electrification of heavy trucks. I remember, going back, I think would be about eight years now, eight to nine years when Ailn Musk first unveiled the Tesla Semi, the electric semi truck. I was very skeptical about that that I wrote about it at the time, and I was very skeptical that the economics and the sort of battery weight elements of electrified truck are actually going to work very well. And I think I've been proved wrong about that.
Speaker 1: And we know that it took Tesla eight or nine years to actually have the semi on the road, because it's only last month that of the first commercial semi has been put on the road. Indeed, China of course got there sooner.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, China has got there so much sooner that actually in December, more than I mean, the number is astonishing to me. More than half of the heavy duty trucks sold in China in December were electrified trucks. This and this is a number that just really sort of defies belief to be honest. I mean again, member writing about two years ago, there was at that point compressed natural gas was actually seen as the sort of the thing that would take over large, large scale trucking. I was saying, well, that's actually going to damage diesel demand in Chinese trucks. But then batteries have really come from nowhere and saw this huge search towards the end of last year. And the thing that you have to bear in mind about a lot of this trucking is a lot of the companies that are producing these electric trucks, companies like Sanny Heavy and XCMG. They made a lot of money during China's construction boom, essentially, their construction machinery companies and trucks are a sort of sideline. And of course Chinese construction boom has comprehensively ground to a halt. The amount of new floor space built in January and February this year, we've only got the sort of first two months of the year, but it's the lowest since two thousand and two, which was just a couple of months after China joined the WYE. We're talking about a completely different China now that these companies were built for that market and they need a new market, and electrified trucking could be there.
Speaker 1: But there is also diesel dependencies in developing countries where it is used for public transport. There are all these mini trucks running around in Africa that run on diesel. The Philippines, you've noted, has tried to switch to immobility, but it hasn't really worked. So what kind of policies would help developing countries to figure out how to cut their diesel dependency.
Speaker 2: With a lot of those developing countries, it's a very thorny problem that involves I mean, I think it involves a lot of the sort of subsidy structure and it involves this sort of shift that you always notice in development between sort of CAPEX and opex. Op X is something that might be more expensive for you in the long term, but it's easy to do because you don't need a lot of money on hand to do it. You don't need to borrow a bunch of money, whereas capital spending you need to persuade someone to lend you some money. This is a problem that we see in the sort of low end of transport across developing world. I was channing to an expert today actually in the Philippines, where you know, if you've been to the Philippines, you'd know their sort of iconic of public transport is what's called jeepney, which started after World War Two with military jeeps getting converted into little buses with people on the flatbed truck. But they're all diesel powered. They or most of them are diesel powered. They tend to be very very old vehicles with sort of terrible pollution. Passengers don't really like going in them anymore. People would like to be in something more modern, and the Philippines really for the last ten years has been trying to sort out the jepney sector. To be honest, it's not gone as well as you might have hoped. They've been big strikes by drivers because what sorting this out will involve is individual drivers getting turned into sort of big cooperatives, and then cooperatives borrowing a bunch of money and then they can get electric jeepneys and the drivers will get a wage, the drivers will get benefits. It'll be much more regularized as a sort of business. And people who have converted tend to be a bit happier about it. But the people who have not converted, they like they like running their own business. They like the independence context that makes sense for Australian UK. They are a bit like uber drivers. They have that sort of independence. They have the upside that you get if you have a good day of driving. The government was to switch them to more than something like a bus driver model, where you don't get any upside if there's more driving, and there's been a lot of resistance to that and it has proved difficult.
Speaker 1: One other way in which I've been thinking about this energy shock is, you know, having lived through what happened after Russia attacked Ukraine here in Europe, it feels like that kind of energy shock is now really an Asian problem. In a way, this is Asia's Ukraine moment. You know, it was mostly a gas crisis in Europe. Of course, there were other fossil fuels in world as well, because Europe imported a lot of diesel from Russia, some crude oil, but also a bunch of coal. But in Asia this is going to to be both an oil and gas crisis. Let's stick to oil, and let's look at electric cars. You know, we keep hearing that, yes, they are now lower in price, there's all these availability. Actually there's a cool factor. We also see that in sales figures some of the Asian countries are now selling more electric cars as a proportion of new cars than many of the rich economies, better than the US, better than the UK, Vietnam, Thailand, Nepal, these countries come to mind when you were thinking about the switch to evs You know, how are you thinking this particular shock will affect EV sales in Asia?
Speaker 2: I think this has been another of these emerging trends that again, it was sort of emerging last year, and then this energy shock has come on top of it, and I think it could prove very dramatic. The numbers that we've seen in the last six just in the last six months for some of these Asia markets are extraordinary. And the one little caveat I would add to them is that these markets tend to be quite driven by the fact that there have been some quite high tariffs on a lot of these vehicles, and they've the tariffs were sort of knocked off and a lot of those task reductions were coming to an end at the end of last year, so a lot of people were rushing to buy cars in time for that. So that's probably distorted things a lot, but it's shown what you can actually achieve if you if you decide not to tax green energy basically, and then yeah, the numbers are extraordinary, Like fifty percent of cars sold in Thailand and Singapore in the last few months have been battery only models, not just plugins, but battery only without an engine at all. About third in China and Indonesia, South Korea and Vietnam far ahead of numbers. I think the UK is about twenty percent, the US is about eight percent, Japans about three percent. The one that's actually notably that you know, lagging of the big economies is India is also similar. Japan is about three percent injuries on a very low level, but across South East Asia really there's been this really dramatic change. Thailand, ev cars are at price parity, which is still not quite the case in a lot of places that are not as exposed. I think there's not the case in the UK. Here in Australia it is the case. Evs are pretty much at price parity, and certainly in China evs are cheaper. The thing that always holds people back is the sticker price. It's actually not the price of fuel, but obviously the price of fuel is suddenly very much on everyone's mind at the moment, So I think that really does you know, that gets an opportunity for a much broader shift.
Speaker 1: The tariff policy, you can argue, makes sense for some countries, like in India, it probably makes sense because it has its own domestic car industry that it wouldn't very much like to protect that has a number of people that are employed. For most countries there isn't really an auto industry to protect. So what is the reason for those tartifs to exist and what could be done to encourage countries to actually drop them.
Speaker 2: I mean a lot of these tariffs, to be clear, are in the countries that are protecting their car industries. But as you say, I mean a crucial factor about a lot of these emerging markets where you know, to be clear, people's models about the future of oil demand will depend on the idea that these countries are going to buy petrol cars, not electric cars. If you don't have an incumbent car industry to protect, you just want to buy whatever the cheapest car is. And also, if I'm a government, I want the car that it does the best thing to my balance of payments. Because of course, the other much bigger thing to consider it is that the amount that you spend on imported cars in any one year is just dwarfed by the amount that you spend on imported petroleum. If you're not an oil producer, then the amounts that you're spending on oil to fuel all those cars is many orders of magnitude in most cases greater than the amount that you're spending on cars. So it makes no sense if you don't have your own car industry to put a fifty percent tariff on cars when generally you don't have a ch on the petrol. You're just blowing out your own balance of payments.
Speaker 1: Basically, there's also the psychology of what happens during an energy shock that sort of remains with people for much longer than what the numbers might always be able to capture. You know, talk to anybody in America who's lived through the nineteen seventies, and they'll talk about rationing of fuel and there were all these long cues, and you know, many vow this will never happen again. That's why you've got the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, et cetera. Well, we are already starting to see those kinds of cues across Asia.
Speaker 2: Now, I was just going to say, I mean, I grew up in Britain and I remember my parents telling these stories of the four day week in the nineteen seventies, which was when you know, this was fuel rationing at the time of the seventy three Old crisis. And today I'm talking to someone in the Philippines and she's telling me about how everyone's working a four day week. This is something that happened before I was born, and is a phrase that I remember from my childhood more than fifty years ago. And this is happening right now now in Asia. I don't think you ever saw the recent film. It was a great film, Licorice Pizza. It came out about five years ago. It's sort of set in Los Angeles in the nineteen seventies, and there's this wonderful cameo scene of people having basically having punch ups in nineteen seventy three at gas stations in Los Angeles. And I was seeing these videos recently of punch ups in India, retail sales of LPG for cooking gas. It's exactly the same thing. And this is, you know, memories of a generation ago. You know, the new memories are being made right now.
Speaker 1: After the break, more of my conversation with David Fickling. And while I have you, please take a moment to read or review Zero on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or YouTube. It helps new listeners find the show. Recently, a reviewer wrote, in a world with so much bad news, love that this podcast has some episodes of things that are going in a positive direction. So let's come to natural gas because this crisis is both an oil crisis and a gas crisis. And in the climate conversation, the industry keeps promising that look, natural gas, which is a bit cleaner than coal, will be the bridge fuel between coal and renewables. Well, after the Ukraine crisis, that promise of a bridge fuel was really under question. And then I saw your piece in March where you talked about how Asian industries are switching away from gas and this was happening even before the war started, how exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean, the most striking thing I think has been has been what's happened in Pakistan with the solar boom there. But the effect that's had on gas has been really striking because Pakistan is it's a very similar pictured to a lot of countries. Egypt is a similar story. In Bangladesh is a similar story, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, They're all similar stories. They used to produce a lot of gas, but their own gas fields are declining, their energy demands are increasing. They have outgrown their own declining gas industry and they're needing to import LNG. And in Pakistan, we saw at the time of the Ukraine War, Europe basically went out and bought all of the leg that would otherwise have headed towards Pakistan. Pakistan had a big energy crunch As a result, they'd also spent far too much on a bunch of Chinese finance coal plants, and the price of electricity went through the roof. People were spending more of their income on energy bills than they were on their rent. And so as we know, we saw these sort of huge growth of solar and a thing that got talked about a lot is the way a lot of households just put so on their roof. But I think the thing that's really striking is what corporates have done. So I was speaking to this cement manufacturer Cement. They started putting in solar panels in twenty nineteen just because they were getting a lot of sort of power cuts and things. They now have sixty nine megawatts of solar panels across their sites, which I mean to put that in context. Tesla doesn't tell us exactly how many megawats they put on their factories. I mean, Elon Musk originally said that they were going to be fully solar powered. The best I can see, and this is literally from counting looking at that like photies and counting solar cells, they've probably got about thirty megawatts of solar panels. So this cement company in Pakistan that most people have not heard of, has at least twice as much solar panels as solar Power paring its operations as Tesla, which is the you know, the obviously the biggest clean energy stock but in some ways in the world, and they're not the only ones. You can go like niche Up mills into loop. These are names that are not known outside Pakistan, but they are their big supplies to you know, Henny's and Morit, to the Gap, to ADDIDAUS, to all all the sort of high street brands. They have thirty five megawats twenty five megawats. There's an enormous amount going on because the grid electricity is so expensive and as a result, Pakistan is turning away LNG cargoes and is actually in some ways I think doing better than of course, you know, Bangladesh is the other country that is heavily associated with the garment trade. Bangladesh has some challenges Pakistan doesn't have. It's obviously much more land constrained than Pakistan, it doesn't have it's not as sunny as Pakistan, but it's really done. It's policy wise. It still has like a thirty percent tax on solar panels. It makes it quite hard to install solar, and it's in its imports of Velenji's for more or less double since the Ukraine War. So Pakistan seems to actually be riding this out pretty well because it's installed all with solar, and someone like Bangladesh is doing much worse.
Speaker 1: And it's again not just developing countries that get affected by energy prices. There is a huge dependency in South Korea and then Taiwan on gas that comes from the Street of Homus. And of course those are also the hubs for the other big industry that is being powered by investors right now, which is AI. And you wrote about that, talk us through how South Korea and Taiwan's gas problem becomes an AI problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean these are really interesting economies because of course both you don't think it was South Korea, but South Korea is essentially an island because the only bit connected with the Menal is North Korea. So these are both islands. Essentially, they're island grids, and so they've had difficult decisions about how to paw themselves. They're small countries as well, they don't have a lot of land but I don't think they've made it easy for themselves because a lot of their restrictions against renewables as some of the toughest in the world. I mean just actually in the last six months, Taiwan parts and laws that effectively make it impossible to build utility scale solar. South Korea until recently had similar laws. So as a result, these countries are very dependent on LNG. They're very dependent on coal as well, but LNG is you know, is a very large part of their grid sort of you know, twenty five thirty five percent of their grid. Japan is similar, but Japan was quite smart and diversifying its supply. But South Korea and Taiwan, each of them, as I say, about sort of thirty to forty percent of their grid comes from LERG and about thirty percent of their energy comes from Qatar and the UAE. South Korea is one of the countries that sort of declared, you know, sort of energy emergency. Taiwan last year closed down its last nuclear power plants, and the politics of nuclear are very, very sort of fraught issue in Taiwan. They're now possibly looking at restarting some of those nuclear power plants. They are obviously scrambling around for coal at the moment to get to get more coal, and there's been vocal support from South Korea certainly for pushing harder for renewable are the countries where all our you know, all our chips come from. The South Korea is where all the memory chips, the vast ma gjoorraphy of memory chips come from. Taiwan is where the vast majorraphy of our pricess and power comes from. Those factories will probably be prioritized, but in a prolonged energy crunch, we are going to see problems that raple through that they economy, through the ai economy, through everything that uses chips.
Speaker 1: And one other thing I want to touch on from the street of farmers is fertilizers. So because there's so much gas that comes from the Middle East, they created as you would fertilizer production, because natural gas is a key input into essentially stripping out the carbon from methane from H four you get to hydrogen, and then you combine that hydrogen nitrogen making ammonia fertilizer, which is used around the world and often just given the politics of farming, it is heavily subsidized. There's usually reserves that countries have, but natural gas is acheme. But whether it's coming through the Strait of Foremost to a fertilizer plant in India or through being turned into fertilizer and then being exported to Asia, how are you seeing the fertilizer problem playing out?
Speaker 2: I think, like with India, it's it's particularly crucial obviously, like the season we're coming into the sort of monsoon crop planting season, so that's you know, that's when a vast amount of the fertilizer gets consumed. It's very dependent on on Gulf natural gas. And we're actually seeing in some of the decisions being made by the Indian government there sort of prioritizing the you know, the fertilizer industry because that's you know, that scene is so crucial just you know, for for rural livelihoods. The other aspect of this that I don't think has talked about as much though, is the role of China in this. You know, China has not thought of as a big fertilizer exporter, but actually for a lot of the world, it's it's much more important than the Middle East, and China has is in terms of nitrogen production is by far the biggest player. Now a lot of China is not used all of it's nitrogen has fertilizer, a lot of it. You can use it for making laminated wood, you can use it for sort of pollution control equipment. China uses a lot of this nittroen production, ammonia urea production for stuff that's not fertilizer. And of course we've seen in terms of you know, China's long standing attitude to resources and also how it's how it's dealing with the current crisis. It doesn't want to extend all its stockpiles to the world. It's not it's not a country that is releasing its petroleum stockpiles. So and it's not a country that you know, they've tightened exports of ura and ammonia rather than increasing exports of urine ammonia. But if you if you look across a lot of East Asia and actually across the world, place like Indonesia is I think about seventy five percent or eighty percent of its fertilizer comes from comes from China, Vietnam, Malaysia, Pakistan. There they're all sort of you know, you know, thirty to forty to fifty percent. It's it's a big player in this market. And if you think of the sort of long term dynamic, the risk is if a lot of fertilizer production from the Gulf becomes more risky and less certain. Obviously, this is something where China has a lot of export potential, and we've seen with rare earths China's abilities to sort of weaponize a lot of that stuff. So I would worry in the long term that this is another critical mineral.
Speaker 1: Essentially, Yeah, and I think this is something that again is worth noticing just because China has built all this clean tech capacity and might be the country that provides all the climate solutions at least to a majority of the countries in the world that cannot produce it. It is not doing it for climate concerns or even really for the economic growth of those countries. These are industries born out of energy security as the priority for China. They built a whole cols to chemicals industry that is very underutilized to try and make liquid fuels just in case of exactly this moment, whether the strait of hormones is brought to a halt, the fertilizer capacity is also one. As we see it's stopped the export of diesel and gasoline from its shores right now. So it's really looking inwards as really people should know China would do in these circumstances. But let me come to a bigger, broader view. I mean, this crisis. Who knows how long this lasts and how it all hicks out. But if you're a betting man, what do you think happens to the energy system in five years and ten years as a result of this war?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think the best thing to think about is if you just look at the way prices have changed since Ukraine of a lot of the sort of key components of an energy system. Because obviously, when anything like this happens, you can sit back and decide, like, you know, how do these pieces fit together, and how do we rework the system in future? And one thing I think this really underappreciated is how much these prices have changed, you know, the price I'm just going by China prices here because they're sort of the you know, the sort of global market. The China price of solar panels is down thirty fifty percent since the Ukraine War, the China price of wind turbines is down thirty fifty percent since the Ukraine War. The China price of lithi iron batteries is down the same amount. Electric vehicles is down the same matt The price of gas turbines has doubled or possibly tripled. So if you think that the shift towards renewables accelerated in the immediate aftermath of the of the Ukraine War, which I think it has, if you look at the you know, the figure I love to look at is that like five years ago, I think it was the IA when they put out the first net zero report, they said, well, to achieve net zero, you need to be installing about six hundred gigawatts of solar a year. And this was pipe dream stuff in twenty twenty one. That's what we're installing. We may not keep installing that much. That's it's an interesting debate to see what will happen now. But we have the capacity to do that, and we did that last year. And that is that that's sort of net zero pathway, and that's before any of this stuff happened, before the uncertainty over the leg it's been treated as this bridge field before the costs of gas went up the way the way they have since. So, you know, I think certainly here in Asia, energy has been pushed as the fuel for energy security in the last few years, and it's been pushed very hard. Like if you go to Japan, which consumes a lot of energy but also sort of sees itself as a sort of ambassador for energy, they've been very much pushing developing Asia a dot more and more energy over the past few years. It provides a sort of export market for a lot of like their own you know, gas turbine equipment and that sort of stuff. These arguments are going to be looking incredibly weak at the moment because these are you know, countries are going through, as we were saying, sort of once in a generation, sort of lifetime social crises because of these, and they're going to start thinking a bit more seriously about what energy security really means. As a lot of people have pointed out, if your energy supply runs at then you have you know, whatever, it's thirty days you've got left in stocks. If China stops selling you solar panels for whatever reason, you still have thirty years of solar power until you need to buy a new one, so it's a materially different situation.
Speaker 1: Well, David, this was a lot of fun. I look forwd to every column you're write, but I think, given this energy crisis is really hitting Asia the worst, if there were more reasons people needed to read your columns, this is the moment. So thanks again for joining the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you, it's great to talk.
Speaker 1: And thank you for listening to zero. Now for the sound of the week. That is the sound of Bagger two nine three, a coal excavator, the world's largest land vehicle, standing almost one hundred meters tall and more than two hundred meters long. It minds dirty coal, but is powered entirely by electricity, often from much cleaner sources. If you liked this episode, please take a moment to rate and review the show on Apple Podcasts, YouTube, and Spotify. This episode was produced by Oscar boyd Our theme music is composed by Wonderly Special Thanks to Samersadi, Laura Milan, and Sharon Chen. I'm Akshatrati back soon.