Speaker 1: Wander, pull up, catch, gole, welcome back everybody. Oh four to ten with runners in scoring position for the Yankees tonight, and that is why they lost three to one. I mean, Will Warren wasn't amazing, but he wasn't terrible. It was the offense that let us down tonight. Oh for ten with runners in scoring position, rain delay, multiple light fixture outages. Just a messy night in the Bronx. I don't know if how is paying the light bill, but the Yankees fall to sixty four and fifty one. Andre Polante pitched very well. He gets the win tonight. He is twelve and six. Will Warren fails to pick up his career best tying ninth win. He is eight and six with a four point one point eight ERA. And let's just face it, the Yankees offense was putrid tonight, just not effective at all. I think we could skip ahead right to the good, bad, and the ugly Trent Grisham oh for five. Here's a fun stat. Trent Grisham is eight for his last seventy one. I'm not a mathematician or anything, but that's barely above a one hundred batting average. Garcia Junior got picked off, so he's fitting right in with the Yankees. Elliott Ramos got his first hit as a Yankee at double Spencer Jones oh for four and some wild swings. Jazz Chisholm a couple of walks tonight, so did McCann. He got on base a couple of times. Lombard had a base hit, he had a rope. Austin Wells had a hit, an opposite field single, but also had a really bad double play. And you know, the Cardinals are not supposed to come into Yankee Stadium and take two out of three from the New York Yankees. And that is exactly exactly what they did tonight.
Speaker 2: Good bad and the ugly.
Speaker 1: Ozzy R five C says can't Homer can't score same I mean, same thing. Almost every time the Yankees lose is a bunch of home run swings with guys on base. We saw it tonight from Jazz. Now Jazz did end up drawing a walk, but yeah, the bass is loaded, and his first two swings were just golf shots rather than shortening up trying to put a ball in play. I think the Yankees occasionally will have good at bats with runners on base, but they almost never take a contact approach until there's two strikes, and even then most guys don't take a contact approach with two strikes. Some of them do, Bellinger does. I think that Ben Rice occasionally will not always, I mean nobody else on the team. You know, Lombard, both of his hits in the major leagues have been with two strikes now, so maybe he's okay with two strikes, but you know, we're not gonna, you know, count on a rookie in his second game to come through. Really, it's it's the guys who are getting the big chip paychecks tonight that passed the baton, and you know we could have used a base knock. Grisham just in just a horrible slump, just an absolutely horrible slump. He is down to two to eleven with the batting average and a six eighty nine OPS for twenty two million bucks. His WRC plus has fallen below one hundred, so he's now officially below league average, and the Yankees have a lot of guys that are below league average right now. It's I wish there was some kind of I don't know, let's let's say like a deadline where you could shift players from one team to another. That would have been would have been nice. We got some some angry fans here in the Chad Jared Williams says, oh, I am so livid. I don't blame you. I don't blame you. The Yankees only had four hits tonight. Paul Goldschman had a double. Elliott Ramos, Elliott Ramas. I keep saying helly just because it's pronounced. How it's you know, how it's written, Elliott Ramos with a double. Jazz had a basis loaded walk. Ben Rice walked three times. I suppose that's one. I guess. A little upshot of this is that Ben Rice at least took some close pitches, had some decent at bats tonight. But he is still in a bad slump since the home run derby. That seems to be what people are blaming it on. I don't know if there's any correlation. You know, there's this old Latin phrase I like to throw around post hoc ergo propter hawk after it. Therefore, because of it, the slump came after the home run derby. Therefore was it because of the home run derby? Well, we don't know, but it's possible it was a contributing factor for sure. A couple other positives. Elliott Ramos. He did deliver his first hit as a Yankee, a hustle double. However, guy sucks at challenges. He's right up there with Jazz Chisholm in terms of being terrible at challenging. Austin Wells had an opposite field line drive single. He is won for two, so he's up to one sixty nine on the season. I'll be very interested to see if he can get over two hundred for the year. I do not think that he will. I do not think that he will. I'll say this though, adding a few players to the roster, even though the Yankees haven't started scoring a bunch, I think it's made the lineup at least a little bit more interesting. Luis Garcia he didn't do anything tonight other than a walk, but he's got some good batspeed. I think he's gonna be a good player for us. And yes, he did get picked off, so, like I said, fitting right in with the Yankees. I was very interested in his bat in the bottom of the sixth runner on third, one out. I was curious if he would be able to get the runner in and he battled, battle, battled, and ultimately he drew an eleven pitch walk, so he passed the baton. I like him, would have loved a base hit there. Ramos doubled lost his shoe. The only difference between him and John Carlos Stanton is when John Carlos Stanton loses his shoe, his leg is still in it.
Speaker 3: You ain't got no legs day.
Speaker 1: But for I'm gonna start calling him shoeless Elliot Ramos. He also lined out to the second basement, so he's clearly like trying to go the opposite way, and I think that will benefit him at Yankee Stadium. Spencer Jones just wild swings, just very very wild swings. And I mean he did draw walk tonight. No he didn't. He didn't draw walk. He you know what, he walked and then they overruled it and called it a strikeout. I was remembering the walk, but I had forgotten that it got overturned. Yeah, very wild swings. Two more strikeouts, And as we zoom out and look at Spencer Jones on the season so far, his strikeout rate is thirty seven and a half percent. That is not gonna get it done. He's gotta make a bit more contact. If it means cutting down on your swing, it means cutting down on your swing. His WRC has fallen below league average, as with most Yankees at this point, It's not what you want. As JOEJ You already would say. Two fantastic plays in the third inning on defense, Grisham made a diving catching center and then Lombard with an absolute web gem to make a diving stop and throw the runnerround at first. I love the look from Boone as he's coming into the dugout, like who is this guy? He also hit a rope line dried single. As I mentioned, he was down two in both the bats that he has hits this year. I'm a big Bo Jackson fan, best athlete I ever witnessed in my life. And there's this great story where Bo Jackson was at Auburn and it was his freshman year and he walked into the weightroom weight room and the coaches were kind of just standing around talking with a couple of seniors, and he casually went up to the bench press and bench press three hundred and fifty like ten times, and then he just got up and left, no spotter, nothing, and the coach, who was in the room at the time, said to some of the other guys, I think this guy can help us win. And I think about that every time that I see somebody who obviously has the skills to help us win. I think George Lombard Junior can help us win. But tonight the Yankees did not win and the Rays won four to nothing. So the Yankees now fall four and a half back in the American League East. Last night, it looked like the Yankees were going to gain a game, but the Rays came back and won, and also bad news, the Red Sox won four to nothing. Sonny Gray pitched a fantastic game, six shutout innings tonight to lower his RA to two point seven to eight. And as we look at these standings, I'm gon go and pull up the standings right now, Yankees four and a half back, Boston five and a half back, and Boston has won seven straight. And there is a non zero chance that Boston is going to pass us in the wild card here or in the East, and in the wild card here in the next several days, because the Yankees have the Braves coming to town, and the Braves are really really good, So tough night for the Yanks. Okay, let's take a look at the pitcher spotlight la. Obviously, he had the rain delay. That's no good for any pitcher. Most pitchers don't like to have their rhythm disrupted like that. And then he starts the game and he's a little bit imprecise, just missing the corners a little bit, and then you have like a brief delay because the lights went out in the stadium. And after that it seemed to click right. Two wrongs made it right, and he seemed to really settle down, and then he was great until the fifth inning. He gave up a few hits and gave up a couple of doubles, ended up serving up three runs, and the final line on the night five and a third inning seven hits, three runs, one walk, five strikeouts, topped out at ninety five point nine miles an hour through the fastball a lot tonight, twenty nine fastballs, twenty one sinker, sixteen change ups, fourteen sweepers, and eleven curve balls, and the era for the season up to four point one eight. As I mentioned, so not great fifth starter type. Let's go ahead and look at the game breakdown. This is where it gets ugly. Four hits for the Yankees, ten strikeouts and zero for ten with runners in scoring position. I mean, you can't win a game like that. You can't win a game like that at all, and eleven ground balls no chance. Austin Wells hit the hardest ball of the night, one oh five point four off the bat, and Paul Blackburn with the hardest pitch of the night. Okay, So series over. The Cardinals take two out of three. Take a look at what went down in the series. Garcia had three hits, McMahon had three hits. I feel like I said the same things last night. Lombard two hits in the series, including his first major league home run. Cavaliro won for three in the series. Ryan weathers through the ball well, will one through the ball okay. David Bednar through the ball well last night. And Curvin Castro, my favorite name on the team, was pretty solid in this series. Cam Schutzler had a rough night, the game score down at thirty one. We'll see how he does his next time out. The last two times that he's had bad outings, he's come back better the next time. Ryan Weather's game score of sixty four was the best of any Yankee starting pitcher in this series, Will Warren forty three tonight, So we look at the bullpen. I mean, the guy who really stunk was chev but he had been throwing the ball pretty well. We'll see if he comes back after a short trip to the minor leagues. They might have just wanted to get him some rest because he kind of took one for the team the other night. And for the home runs Yankees actually hit the ball out of the ballpark in this series. Garcia, McMahon, Cabaliro, Chisholm, Wells Lombard all went deep. So did Trent Grisham, But as I mentioned, Grisham eight for his last seventy one. Okay, you guys know what it's been like. You've been busy all day and your night opens up and you want to get out to the ballpark. Well, from now on you can just go to Seat Geek and save a few bucks. They take all the guestwork out of buying tickets and make finding the perfect view incredibly simple. And when you open up the Sea Geek app, just look on your phone. It's got three green dots. I think it's three green dots. Maybe it's just one. I don't know. It's pretty late at night, and I seem to remember three, but my copy says there's one. A green dot means that you're getting an amazing seat at an incredible value. And it's not just baseball. They have everything, comedy, theater, entertainment of all types. And you can use the code territory ten for ten percent off of MLB tickets on seakeek. It's seamless, it's fast, and right now we're saving you some cash on your next outing. Use code territory ten at checkout for ten percent off your next purchase on seat geek. Do it yourself a favor. Click the link in the description, download the seat geek app, and that ten percent discount will be automatically applied. Okay, let's take some voicemails here, get on with our lives.
Speaker 4: Hey, Derek, it's the professor from Port Lee, New Jersey. I wanted to give a call back and make a suggestion to George Lombard Junior if he ever hears this. George, do yourself a favor and call Derek Jeter. It's very very simple. Call Derek Jeter. All right, don't make a mistake like the last person did hey listen? Thanks Derek, great podcasts. Love listening to you guys, especially the fans that comment and always look forward to a great show.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Appreciate the girl. And honestly, if Jeter still is a Yankees fan as he was growing up, he should call Lombard. I always wonder that if you're a fan of a team growing up and then you retire, are you still a fan, because then it was like, it's just like a different relationship once it becomes your job, right Like, I'm sure there are people around the organizations that he just he doesn't like, and so I wonder if he's still a fan. Here's Kayden.
Speaker 5: Hey, Derek, this is Cayden got from Tennessee. I was thinking about the bullpen. Do you think there's any chance Carlos the Grande can get back? And if not, do you think we could feel Willis Hill in the bullpen? If he could get back soon? I mean that would be an okay addition in the bullpen if he can get back, right, and then we'll have I would say World one. We'll go to the pin and Ron weathersts the playoff start.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 1: The pen is not a problem. I think the pen is going to be fine. Otherwise, I think Cashman would have worked harder to address it. At the deadline. Carlos le Grin is apparently tossing. I don't know if he's going to be a factor. I hope so, but it wasn't like he had already made it to the major leagues. Even if he does become a factor, he's going to have to learn on the fly at the major league level. And who knows if they want to transition him back to the bullpen because he got hurt pitching out of the bullpen when he's been a starter. So it's interesting. Here's Milton.
Speaker 3: Hey, Derek, this is Milton Texas. I don't know if you're as tire as I am.
Speaker 2: Maybe not, Maybe you are seeing even wells in the dugout let alone at bat. I mean, I love the message from you some I mean some weeks ago about we've had a period in this Yankee history in the last two or three years, we've had no good.
Speaker 3: Catchers, barely any you know, decent, any type catcher. This has been a terrible period and no catchers in the days of the last good catcher we had with Asada. Sanchez was going to be a promise, but he petered out anyway, and Rushman was available. I don't know.
Speaker 6: Maybe you could tell me what happened, to tell us what happened why we couldn't get Rushman. Maybe Baltimore than one of the senate to us. Maybe they got a senator Boston, a senate to Boston. Anyway, Thank you for taking my call, but I know.
Speaker 1: That Boston paid out the ass for Rushman, and it just comes down to Cashman was not willing to meet the price. That's basically what he said. He wasn't willing to go to the level that the Orioles were asking. I mean, what can you do? It takes two to tango. I think McCann was a pretty good catcher for a minute there. I remember that July fourth game I was at and he hit a home run and the fireworks started going off. I'm trying to think what other case. I mean, Russell Wilson wasn't bad his first year with the Yankees, and you know, Sanchez back in twenty seventeen and twenty sixteen was pretty good defensively along with being pretty good offensively. He just had like a short stint because the league figured him out and he didn't work hard enough to stay ahead of the game. And you know, honestly, I think I think Gary Sanchez under Joe Girardi could have been a Hall of Fame catcher. He had that kind of talent, rocket arm. Remember when he was in shape. He had power. He hit to all fields. Once Aaron Boone came along and started telling him, Yeah, take that big uppercut swing to hit everything out of the ballpark. Yeah, I don't worry about tagging a runner at home. Who gives a fuck about that. That's when his career went downhill. All right, guys, it's late, it's almost midnight. Go to bed. I'll catch you tomorrow. Hey, thanks for watching. If you're new to the channel, do all the YouTube stuff like and subscribe. Also, we've got a store Nyy Designs dot shop. It's got all sorts of fun T shirts, mugs, hats. You can also get podcast at pinstripe territoryshop dot com. We're also on every podcast platform, so go ahead and subscribe to the audio version as well, and give us five stars if you don't mind.
Speaker 4: If we earned it.
Speaker 1: We'll see you next time.