Speaker 1: Hey, fan, Rito's just so you know, this episode today is talking about the Full House episode After Shocks. We're diving into it a little bit more with Jeff Franklin, our show's writer and creator. So if this might be something that's a little bit triggering for you, maybe you want to uskip this episode, but if not, please have a listen. We talk about all the wonderful things and the background of this episode, so it's super important and we hope you enjoy your listen.
Speaker 2: Hey fan, Rito's welcome to another minisode of How Rude Tanertos. Today's minisode is a little different. As we were watching the After Shocks episode, we realized that because we were so young at the time of filming, we still have a lot of questions that we need help answering. This episode is arguably one of the most important in Full House history. It was telecast less than two months after the real life Loma Prieta earthquake, which wrecked havoc upon San Francisco on October seventeenth, nineteen eighty nine. It registered as a six point nine magnitude on the Richter scale and caused the death of sixty three people, with thousands more injured. And over five billion dollars in property damage. The collapse of a section of the double decker Nimitz Freeway in Oakland was the site of the largest number of casualties, and boy, I can remember watching that newscast and that's just a haunting image from that time. To help us unpack what kind of discussions were taking place behind the scenes in the writer's room during this time, we have invited none other than Full House creator Jeff Franklin to the podcast today. We are so grateful to Jeff for being so generous with his time and his willingness to discuss what it was like navigating and writing a fictional script about a real life natural disaster. Please welcome Jeff Franklin. I, Jeff, I Jeff.
Speaker 3: You guys are good. I'm good. I'm good. This is a little froggy, so I apologize. I don't know why.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was just literally like sipping my gigantic water here because I also sound like that.
Speaker 3: I'm just I'm sure it's anxiety because I have to talk.
Speaker 1: Oh, You're always great to always, That's what it is. It's anxiety because I have to talk to anyone else.
Speaker 2: You'd be like us He's like, not these nimrods again. They got more questions from me.
Speaker 3: No apartment.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, I have one question, which is who is the man behind the in the white pants, behind the newspaper behind you there, it's a.
Speaker 3: Pictures it's hanging in an apartment.
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought it was buzz Alden. I thought it was an astronaut.
Speaker 1: He's wearing flip flops and like white leisure pants. I'd love to see buzz Aldroen like that. Really, it was right before you get take it off to the spaceship. Yeah, Hi Jeff, Hi so happy you could join us.
Speaker 2: Thank you very very much for coming back on the podcast today.
Speaker 3: We're rolling.
Speaker 1: We just roll right into it. There's no Yeah, we do our intros and outros later. We just like to startle our guests by going right into it as soon as their face hits the.
Speaker 3: G Yeah, thanks for the one. We're in.
Speaker 2: So Jodi and I are reviewing the Aftershocks episode and we have a lot of questions because Jodie was seven, I was what fourteen, So we have a lot of questions because we don't remember a lot about that time and we weren't part of all these discussions that I assume you were having behind the scenes in the writer's room or with the other producers about this episode. So we wanted to talk to you today about what it was like in nineteen eighty nine. October seventeenth, nineteen eighty nine, is when the real San Francisco earthquake happened. And it was a huge deal. I know, at least in southern California. It was all over the news, and I'm pretty sure nationwide.
Speaker 1: I mean nationwide, it was. It was quite a huge and natural disaster.
Speaker 3: It was. It was major. I think sixty sixty or seventy people died during that. Yeah, like three or four thousand people were injured. Yeah, both thousand people were homeless. The part of the upper deck of the Bay Bridge collapsed. I mean, it was all over the news. It was a six point nine earthquake. And it also happened the Giants were in the World Series and it was yeah three of the World Series.
Speaker 1: And that's right. And yeah, so what time does any what time was the earthquake?
Speaker 3: It was during the day.
Speaker 2: It was in the five o'clock hour, Okay, but I don't know exactly what that's because in the middle of the game.
Speaker 1: It was in the middle. What was in the middle of the game? I remember, and it was it was, but it was shower because we have had, you know, knock on everything, the fortune of in southern California, several of our larger earthquakes have been very very early morning for five o'clock in the morning, not a lot of people on the road, not a lot of people out at work like it has been. We've been fortunate in that regard. And this was not that. This was this was definitely travel time, and it was it was really hugely scary. Were we on set when that happened or was it for one of the after shocks, because I remember being on set it was.
Speaker 3: I think it was a I don't know why. I think it was a weekday. Yeah, I think we.
Speaker 1: Were, because I seem to remember us being there, and I remember it was when Perfect Strangers was shooting in the stage across from us, and I remember going out that big elephant door of the stage, or it probably wasn't open at the time, but that that end of the stage and like everybody kind of after everything stopped shaking, you know, because you're under like I was, say, it's terrifying to be on stage, particularly back then, under all of those huge lights and all of that equipment and all that stuff. You know, you have everyone kind of runs out to the audience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's it's it's scary to think that you know that that could have happened anytime in Los Angeles as well, and in fact, the yeah, we had a really bad one. But it was, as you said, yeah, it's a big deal. And you know, because our show is set in San Francisco, it just seemed to just like we want to completely ignore.
Speaker 1: It, right, There was no way to be like anyway, yeah, like it would be weird.
Speaker 3: Jay's got is it this week? Let's talk about right, right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so we wanted to. What was interesting about it to me was, yeah, I mean it was certainly frightening for everyone, no doubt, but especially for children. And uh, and so that you know, this is a show that obviously deals with parenting and children's problems, you know, every week. So it was, uh, it seemed like a you know, like something we should address. And it was also it was also oddly personal for me the way the story evolved, because you know, I wanted to I've been wanting to do a story about you know, these are these these dads, even though they're sort of clueless, always seemed to end up doing the right thing and instinctively know how to how to solve kids problems. And uh so I've been wanting to find a story where Danny, who is, you know, the most experienced parental figure on the show, you know, has no idea what to do about some problem with the kids. And so this sort of love that this presented itself as sort of the perfect episode about that about that storyline. So Stephanie is is freaked out about after the earthquake and will not tell Danny why, and and probably is it fully aware at age eight of why she's so freaked out.
Speaker 1: You know, that would make I mean, that happens so often, any sort of trauma, upheaval, anything like that, anything that scares kids oftentimes all of a sudden, their behavior, well vert they will you know, all of the things that steph you know, clean angry, scared, all of those sorts of things, but they don't even know why, like what happened. They're like, I don't know, everything's fine, but I don't think everything's fine.
Speaker 3: One it's clearly not right, you know, and this actually really struck a chord with me because I, you know, I also experienced a really horrible childhood trauma myself when I was four years old, and that was back in nineteen, you know, in the late fifties, and you know, child therapy was pretty non existent at that RT.
Speaker 1: There were no child no it was like, you'll be fine, you're a kid, You'll forget it. You'll yeah, you'll just shove that down like the rest of us.
Speaker 3: It looks, you know, and I had no ability to deal with it. You know. My my parents put me in therapy finally, but there was child therapy, so they took me to an adult therapist who was a Freudian therapist who had.
Speaker 1: All right, so you were like, talk about your mother, yeah, the year old guy dreams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, You're like, this is not it, this is not And that went on for four years, not for four minutes like we did in the episode. But so anyway, it felt, you know, it felt personal to me. I you know, I knew what, you know, firsthand, what it's like to be a kid and not be able to talk about what's wrong, what happened. So it was you know, It was a really important episode for me personally that we got to do that. And you know this, it sort of flipped in the episode because uh, Jesse and Joey were actually intelligent for for a minute.
Speaker 1: Here we have their moments, you know they do every once in a while they'll shine through.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, they were really the adults in this one telling Danny you know, it's okay, it's all right. If you can't solve every problem, go get some help.
Speaker 2: That was really powerful too.
Speaker 1: That was so huge and so important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to say, hey, you're not a failure as a parent because you don't know what's wrong with your kid. If you love your kid, you want to give them help that you buy like that is so powerful.
Speaker 3: And of course we you know, we have that attitude about anything you know, physical that's wrong with kids. This is course taking the doctor a while, but we don't always think, you know, if it's an emotional problem or mental problem that we that that's we need to go find a professor. It's great now that there's so you know, the I think the stigma has you know, has really come off of that. You know, I think I think it's a different time now and parents are more open to seeking help and there's far more options available. Yeah, so you know, but back then it was it was that was not the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had no idea that this was so personal for you. And I love that that it really was something that you had wanted to do and that this was just sort of the thing that presented itself, because you know, you're right, it is. It's easy to watch a show and be like, man, these people know everything and they've never even had kids, you know, like they're just sailing right along, and and it just really humanized the story for both Danny and Staff in that they were both struggling and didn't know quite how to handle it, and like that's okay that you know, it's sometimes you just don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it was fun that Danny was so I was so happy that, you know, to have Stephanie's full attention for a minute, right, that's flattering for him. So he was, you know, right the beginning, it's like, oh, this is great. I don't know why this is happening.
Speaker 1: Great, And that happens right somebody's like, oh my god, they're suddenly they're so like cuddly and they just want to be here. And you're like, yeah, but they aren't always.
Speaker 2: That way, so that's yeah, what made you choose Stephanie to write this episode about instead of DJ or Michelle?
Speaker 3: I think she was just the for so she was sort of the right age, you know to internalize the danger sort of. Uh sall was still a little young, and DJ was a you know, pretty together kid and maybe you know, wouldn't have reacted so emotionally about it, able to talk about it easier, So that just seemed to make sense, And it also is more. It's also was powerful because Stephanie is so you know, it's just such a smart, together kid that you know that it was more poignant. I thought to have Stephanie haves to deal with this. What was obviously writing underneath this episode is you know the fact that she's already lost one parent and all those fears you know about if something happened to my dad. You know, we're so much more triggering, right a kid who only has one, you know, one parent left. So that we didn't really make the I didn't want to make the episode about that because it was strong enough without it. I felt, right we had kind of gone to the the dead mom. Well, you know a few times recently, Right, you don't want to, you know, keep going there every week.
Speaker 1: You know, the right, Yeah, well we're Stephan therapy for longer than four minutes. I'm sure that that would be to get addressed, that would get brought up. But but yeah, I mean that, and that was but it was you didn't have to say it, but it was so present in the episode of both Danny's enjoyment of being you know, because he's the only parent, so that sort of has shifted, so he likes all the attention and and you know, it's been so many things going on in this family's life that like you just know that of course now with dad not and when you find out that he wasn't home for three hours and you know, again in the days before cell phones, yeah, no where anybody was so in between you know, getting home and whatever it was, you didn't know where people were and where parents were. And that was terrifying. And yeah, that made such a It's just so clicked when she was like, you're you weren't home. We didn't know where you were, and it was like, oh my god. Of course Steph's like, is dad gone too?
Speaker 3: I think there were Patres in those days, weren't there. I was watching the show and I was thinking, one of this, why didn't we just have Stephanie.
Speaker 1: Get There were, but I think they were. It was like we were still in the era of like doctors had pagers, doctors and drug pretty much, you know what I mean, like you you didn't have like it wasn't like high schoolers had pagers yet. I feel like that was my like high school era sort of nineties, but like this, the pagers were probably you know, would have been the size of a of a VHS tape that you had to wear, like in a special pack I'm sure at.
Speaker 3: That time, but it was it's not a fanny packet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like the cell phones, but it was like just a satellite phone like the you know, Diehard or whatever. They're carrying it on their shoulder. But yeah, that I think it was. We were in the age before immediate gratification of knowing where someone is or being able to respond quickly, right right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I'm kind of I'm kind of glad we did the show back in that age because yeah, you know, we did four House in the age of social media, and it's it's stressful.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: On the one hand, it's great publicity, you know, and it's right, it's instantaneous, and you know, you can publicize the show in a whole different way than you could back then. But you know, it's great that I didn't have to read comments, you know, go down, go down.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, it never never read the comments, never comments that idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was really and I didn't know how good we had it.
Speaker 1: But right now what bleet. The show takes place. It's like two weeks I think after the earthquake has happened, and Kimmy has been staying at the house because there was some damage to her room and things like that. So we kind of set it up. But was it I mean obviously intentional that you didn't you were like, let's not recreate an earthquake, but to make it to where there was enough time that the house looked normal, so it wasn't like so jarring in that respect, or were you like, we should try that and then you maybe try to adjust as you went such.
Speaker 3: A big event and we got the show shot so fast and on the air. I think it aired maybe three or three weeks after the earthquake. You know, it was unreally fast.
Speaker 1: It was less than so yeah, yeah, a couple of months, five or six weeks.
Speaker 3: We didn't want to, you know, traumatize people away work. That's a good point, you know, And they're not funny, although I didn't earning Suley episode about an earthquake, which was which was which we did make funny, but yeah, but yeah, I think we just wanted to remind everybody that there was an earthquake and then just tell a story. Yeah. Yeah, So the Kimmy staying there was just the fun advice or device to get to get that backstory out and to have her living there, of course is always right fun.
Speaker 2: Did you approach Janice or Jody about because this was this was a pretty heavy episode, so I don't know if you talked to Jody about this or Janis about kind of the sensitivity of it.
Speaker 3: Probably didn't talk to Jody about it. Now, I would have talked to Janice, you know, I don't remember any details, but you know, I would have. I would have. It was my practice always talk to the parents if there was something, you know, if it was a heavy episode, and just make sure that you know that they were okay with it, and there's nothing I should know, and you know, is this a good idea? Just kind of just you know, I always had those meetings.
Speaker 2: We appreciate that as as former child actors and as adults now. And we've heard that doesn't that didn't happen on every show, Like we've heard stories about how child actors were have to do these really embarrassing things and the writers like whatever, like there was no consent involved with that, So I really we just really appreciate that, yeah, or consideration. Yeah, you always were very good at that, and I'm for you.
Speaker 3: Guys threw enough embarrassing moments, that's the least, you.
Speaker 1: Know what A lot of that though, Jeff was just the eighties. It was just an embarrassing time for everyone. I've got pictures of all of us with some hair that we'd rather forget, so it's it was the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, thank you.
Speaker 2: Does anyone remember the viewer response to this episode was obviously was too young, so I don't remember.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, the only response we really got was first of all, the taping where the response. I mean, those those tapings were always fun. I mean, nobody was ever mad at the shows, so right, but it was but I can tell when an audience is engaged and involved into the story, and you know, so you get the immediate feedback when we take the show. There were some reviews of the episode that were surprised, you know that we're nobody was hating on it because.
Speaker 1: They were surprisingly good because we never got those yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, they let us off you know, the hook on that one, so you know, and they like, I think those special episodes we did. You know, all the shows would sort of do one or two of those a season, it felt like. But but we you know, I remember that we did get We did a couple. We did a couple of them that season, and they all turned out pretty well, and we ended up getting some really nice reviews and we ended up That was the year that Tom Bradley, who was the mayor of LA.
Speaker 1: Declared that's right at city all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got to go down there.
Speaker 1: And you still have that hanging in your in your hallway, don't you? Or you did somewhere in your office or something is the Yeah, the City of l a full house day declaration.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had some proclamation that I got framed.
Speaker 1: Because it was pretty what day is it? And why is it not a national yet. That's my question, Jeff, and a paid national holidays. This should be a bank holiday. It's I mean, I feel like this should be at least a three or fourty weekend.
Speaker 3: I don't under stand at all.
Speaker 2: I have to look up Maddie. Our producers probably typing it out right now.
Speaker 1: The straight House Day, Yeah exactly. Yeah, we're having a huge celebration.
Speaker 2: We're having a party at your house.
Speaker 1: Whatever day it is, Jeff, Yeah, yeah, yeah, Jeff Little.
Speaker 3: Did you know I think yeah, I think full House Day at least in Los Angeles because it was proclaimed for how it was in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a piece of paper that states it. Okay, so take your you know, national donut Day or whatever, and well let's not take the national dontate. It's very sacred. But you know, we're up there, we're up there. I you know, it's funny because I don't. I weirdly don't remember a ton about like my feelings about this episode. But I definitely I remember doing the drawing, like they had me do the house drawing and stuff.
Speaker 3: I recognized.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, it's it's my signature style, the stick people and uh no, but it was like I remember doing that, and I remember I just remember like being really excited to get to do something sort of different on the show that wasn't just the like silly and whatever, but something that was a little more like, oh, there's a you know, stuff's got like a little bit of a of a problem that's you know, needs to be addressed. Like it was kindind of it was neat as a kid to be able to bring that to life and you know and realize that like there were probably other kids out there who were scared, and I was getting to maybe represent something for them. Like I will say that I definitely felt that interesting. Yeah, you know that I was like, Okay, this was a big scary thing and like maybe we can help other people get through you know, get through this too.
Speaker 2: That's quite a heavy responsibility at age eight, Like that's that's amazing that you well you were always very perceptive too, but just that you felt that responsibility of you know, this could help other people, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I yeah, that I just definitely I was like, oh, I just remember being like I knew that that would be important to people. I guess because you know, when fans would come up and talk about episodes that meant something to them or whatever as kids like when they were little or their parents or something like you kind of picked up on it even you know, I was seven, eight years old, Like I knew that there were episodes that meant a lot to people, and I had a feeling this would be one of them.
Speaker 3: Teaching America how to dance and in this in this episode, you got a lot on your shoulders.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I taught America about therapy and I yeah, no, but I mean it was it was like not something like you said, It was not something that was as common or accessible now or as as talked about, and it was. It was such a great storyline that really showed both of Danny and Steph's kind of transformation through it. And there hesitancy and you know, and it's such a like such a parental thing to be like, nothing's wrong with my kid, Like there's nothing wrong with them. But yeah, you can't fix everything.
Speaker 2: They just need a little help.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Can we talk about the little girl in the therapy scene that Stephanie talks to when she walks in. I want to make sure I get my facts right before I say this. She was a well make a wish or a Starlight Foundation child. And I heard that Jet. Well what I heard, Jeff, is that you heard about her and her wish was that she always wanted to be a movie star and she was a fan of Full House. So you invited her to be part of this episode and she just had that one line. You know, it was a really quick bit, but yeah, you you made her wish come true and she got to be a movie star for just a few minutes and interact with Jodie Sweeten in a scene. And I just, yeah, I thought that was so great.
Speaker 3: We did a lot of those kinds of things over the years. It was, you know, whenever we could, we would we would do that. We had I mean we had kids, sick kids whatever, panticapped kids, whatever on the set constantly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did it was I remember always loving that we got to do so much special stuff like that for kids who loved the show. But yeah, I didn't remember that, that's right now that you bring it up, I was like, oh, that's right, she I do remember that about that.
Speaker 3: She was.
Speaker 1: That she Yeah, she was very sweet and like super excited to be on the show.
Speaker 2: You can see it on her face too. You're like, yeah, she doesn't seem like an child actor, but she seems really happy to be there. So yeah, I did a little investigating. Yeah, it was just it made a wonderful episode, just even more heartwarming learning that fact. So yeah, that was that was great. I remember after tapings we would invite the children to make a wish foundation children onto the stage and meet the cast and take a big photo together, and you know, it's only a few minutes of an interaction, but it was. It's a very We never take that for granted, just how powerful those interactions are. We're always grateful for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I think it's not only a nice thing to do for them, but it also is you know, it was great for Its great for us, you know, to try to you know, get back.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, we were, I mean we were and John was really active. Really yeah. John always has been. It's like super super involved in that.
Speaker 3: Yes, he was driving a lot of that as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you still know what another neat memory about this episode was that we got to include include somebody you know, who might not have had the opportunity to have that wish fulfilled otherwise. That's pretty cool. Yeah. Wow, this was this was I you know, it was interesting. I remembered the drawing and I but it kind of I remember being back in that office with you know, the therapist and everything, uh when we walked in, and yeah, it's it was just such an important episode that I I hadn't thought about in years.
Speaker 2: And great by the bye. Nancy Dusseau as the therapist, Like, she was perfect as the therap She will love it.
Speaker 1: Too Close for Close for Comfort, Yeah, yep, she played. I loved that show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, oh that's so great. Yeah. We had Lydia Cornell on the podcast a few months ago. She played Signorita Mosley. Yes, and so she Lydia Cornell played the daughter, one of the daughters on Too Close to Yeah, Lydia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was great.
Speaker 2: She's such a I mean, she's just a fantastic human being and a bombshell.
Speaker 3: Do you remember that we used to we used to date you and Lydia Cornell.
Speaker 1: She did not tell us that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was it was right when the show started.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: She did not.
Speaker 1: She was good one, Jeff.
Speaker 3: I like it was my only appearance in all the you know, the like the Inquirer and all those magazines. We were at some premiere and we got, you know, somehow our picture got like everywhere.
Speaker 1: Blue You're covered, couldn't couldn't go out in public sense?
Speaker 3: Oh no, it was like it was they were doing a fashion review and I was wearing this skinny pink to.
Speaker 1: Yes, the skinny ties the eighties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it made a point of talking about how hip I looked.
Speaker 1: What was it a bolo tie because if it was little, Oh no, it was. It actually just one of the skinny little.
Speaker 3: White shirt, black jacket.
Speaker 1: I can picture it now, just in all of your Don Johnson glory.
Speaker 2: That's quite a fifteen seconds of face.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: Well overall, How like, was this one of the episodes that you were really proud of that full House did? Like, how did it kind of rank in your overall?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It was one of you know, the ones where I where I get to sort of feel like I'm using my life or my experience. Those are always a little more personal to me. And I thought it turned out really well, and I was it was kind of you know, I don't know, it was I just sort of thought we maybe could be helpful to some kids, and you know, it came together really, it was really fast. You wrote it in and it just we just made it happen quickly. But yeah, it's it's in there, and it's on the list of good you know episodes.
Speaker 2: Did you consult with any mental health professionals about how to write those things?
Speaker 3: You did? Okay? I talked to trauma specialists at u C l A and just just I don't know, just send in the script and said, you know, this looks does this feel right? Does this look right? Anything else we should.
Speaker 2: Think about or oh that's great, that's yeah. You don't want to mess up the therapy scene. That would be really bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at least I can say it's his fault, like.
Speaker 1: I ran this buy for someone to approve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the therapy scene was perfect. As somebody who's been through a lot of therapy, I'm like, this is right spot all and is so good?
Speaker 3: It was? It was you know, usually it's not quite so simple. You know, the kid draws a picture and all we figured out.
Speaker 1: It was like it said, probably the best you know, sixty five dollars cope that you know they've ever spent on health insurance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, but I think in this case, it was, you know, we wanted to get to the point, so we took the liberty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we couldn't really wrap that up in season eight, you know what I mean, finally we figured out what stuff It's been a few years. We really dug deep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we could have done an episode of Fuller House with Stephanie three years later.
Speaker 1: Years later, like I still don't know, you're still drawing pictures with a crack in the ceiling. Yeah, still yeah, still, yeah, No, I it was. It was a really great scene because it didn't feel like it didn't feel shoehorned in, even though we knew, like you had we you know, we had to get to the point within a certain amount of time. Like it didn't feel totally forced, you know what I mean. It felt like this was because it was the way that stuff like just drew sort of things that were as kids do that tell you a lot about what they're thinking when they're drawing a picture, and where people are and how they're related and how they're you know, just all of that stuff was so subtle.
Speaker 3: But and the other good part of the scene was, you know, which we didn't, which we should have followed up on. She quickly figured out that Danny needed lots of therapy. That his Yeah, we're symptomatic of much deeper issues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Danny's had some serious anxiety issues.
Speaker 3: We should have gone, but it's too much fun.
Speaker 1: The Full House in therapy. That's the that's the third iteration of the show. It's just the it's it's the Sopranos meets Full House and they're all in the therapist's office.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The full House is a residential treatment home living there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just they're all like, I have we we need some help. We've all lived together for thirty seven years and we're still in this house.
Speaker 3: Uncle Jesse keeps playing therapists on TV now.
Speaker 1: Every time I write, I would have thought it would have been Michelle.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We always joke that everyone in the house goes to Michelle for all of their all of their life advice. It really seems to be like, if you're having if you're freaking out about your relationship, you should go talk to Michelle.
Speaker 2: Well, in season three she was a good sounding board because she didn't talk a whole lot.
Speaker 4: She didn't talk back, right, true, Yes, she's just like I don't know, I mean, you got it dude. Right, Well, Jeff, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: This was so great to get a little bit of the sort of background and the personal ties to this episode and and what it was like making a show about something that was, you know, happening and affecting people kind of in real time and like very in very recent Yeah, you know, history that we were addressing on the show, and that was you know, most of our Shores shows were kind of evergreen and whatever, but this was definitely a very timely relevant episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of strange, I guess for people watching it now to kind of go, what what are they talking about?
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think it still applies today, Like we had an earthquake last week and the week before that, and I mean not as seriously obviously, but no, I think the lessons still apply today, and it's it's timeless.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the and the lesson that sometimes times, you know, sometimes it doesn't have to mean that something's wrong or that you're a bad parent, but sometimes you've got to you know, call in some reinforcements and get some help. And that's totally okay. And that was a really big statement at that time in the show.
Speaker 2: Well done, Jeff, well done.
Speaker 3: It's amazing that we get to sit here whatever thirty five years later and dissect the should right you guys as adults. It's it's real. It blows my mind that it's so great.
Speaker 1: I love so much. It's it's so I know. I'm like, I never thought when I, you know, drew that that a little drawing back then thirty seven plus years ago, that it would we'd be discussing it today and no idea, none how cool but what a yeah, what a what a gift in that you know again, we uh, we always got to address things that people really really remembered and made a difference. So a job, my friend, Mmm are thank you for joining us.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Jeff again, ya don't sorry, We'll torment you more. Yeah, we'll be like, hey, has your anxiety recovered? That's what we want you to come talk somewhere.
Speaker 2: Any of the other special episodes coming up. We're gonna call you because we'll have questions. Yes, thanks, Jay, I love you, love you all right bye?
Speaker 1: That was so great such I had I I had no idea that it was came from like a personal experience of his and I'm so yeah honored. He shared that with everybody, like and just you know, said that because that was and yeah, that was at a time again, I mean when he was little that they you really didn't it was the sixties, late fifties. Yeah, yeah, but what an important topic to discuss. I'm so proud of again of full House and of getting to be a character who you know sort of like the duck Face episode and that you know that really was had like a big impactful storyline, an episode about something that was really scary at the time. Yeah, you know. Our our producer by the way, said it happened on a Tuesday at five or four pm and it was in the middle of a run through.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's the time we had run through run through. Wow, because we could still even though San Francisco's far away from Los Angeles, you.
Speaker 1: Could still feel it. So we felt it very strongly, very strongly. And yeah, we felt it quite a bit. And again, being on a sound stage with gigantic lights swinging over your head, you know, you feel it even more because it just sounds like sound freight trade. Yeah, and I remember it. I remember I don't know who, I remember standing, Bob or John or somebody, and we were down at that end of the set, like where the shape shifting backyard was. Oh yeah, and I just remember we all kind of ran. Do we ever do like drill drills?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I remember doing drills because like where do you go in school? They teach you to go under your desk?
Speaker 1: But like I think it was, wasn't it towards the wasn't it was it to the audience because us, Yeah, the bleachers, because I think they didn't have stuff hanging over the bleachers right right, So I think we werether than the microphones and stuff that was like your clearest sort of spot was over there because there was no lights or anything like that. And then we all had to kind of file outside and yeah.
Speaker 2: I head count right right. Oh yeah, they got to do roll call.
Speaker 1: Make sure everyone's accounted, all of our ads, yep, make sure everybody's accounted for, make sure you're out. Yeah, it's a yeah, the whole thing. Oh yeah, And I seem but perfect Strangers was across the thing from us. Oh okay, And I seem to remember they were all filing out. He was filing out too, and there we were gosh, marklin Baker and Mark Bacon joke. Yeah, we're all surviving earthquakes together. Yeah, but I agree with it.
Speaker 2: It was so satisfying to hear Jeff say how personal this episode was to him, because you just never know.
Speaker 1: It's like, did he feel obligated to write it right because we gotta address this you're in San Francisco. But he really found that he was looking for that e for a story that fits that episode, that fit the idea that you know that and also the idea that you know Danny needed help and that it was okay. Like that was such an important lesson for parents, and I still there's so many parents out there if it need to hear that that therapy and outside help your kids or yourself does not mean that you're broken or that something's wrong or that It just means that, just like if you had something wrong with your arm, you go to the doctor for it. And this is just such a huge lesson. Still, it's okay to ask for help as a parent, as a kid.
Speaker 2: It's not a sign of weakness. It's a sign of strength that you know yourself well enough and you're willing to go outside to get more help. So, yeah, I agree, this episode is fantastic, just such a great episode.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad. I just love having Jeff on the episode, and it does makes me so happy to think that we get to sit here decades later and all sit around and dissect an episode of Full House together.
Speaker 2: That was so cool, Like for all the fanaritos listening. And I know it's cool for the fanaritos to hear this, but it was equally as cool for you and me, Jody, to talk to Jeff about.
Speaker 1: You now what I have to say, though it's gonna this episode, I really wished Bob was here because I would have loved to have had him on the episode to be like, what was it like as a parent? Yeah, to bring that to life? What was you know?
Speaker 2: He would have had a lot of thoughts in a lot of words to share about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, about getting your kids help and and you know, I just it made me, uh and I don't know, I just something about this episode. There were just a couple of sweet moments with Bob where he, you know, gave me a hug or a kiss on the head or something, or I was sitting on his lap or something in this episode, and I just remembered, Uh, how wonderfully close he and I were, and how he was just so warm and kind to me as a as a kid. And yeah, just because that you.
Speaker 2: Can see it and you can feel you can feel it as an audience member, you can feel that connection between you two and that love. And yeah, yeah I didn't. I didn't think about that as you were watching it, how that would feel. Yeah, I just Bob, Bob is so outstanding, and.
Speaker 1: It's so outstanding, and I just I always remember, you know, I was. I was just as I look through pictures of the show and stuff, I'm always sit next to Bob. I was like sitting on his lap, sitting next to him, kind of like I just was, you know, like I just see so many of these pictures and I'm like I kind of just owled around with him as a kid, and I remember it, and he and this was one of those episodes that I definitely remembered that, so it was it was an important one.
Speaker 2: And yeah, yeah, so we miss you, Bob.
Speaker 1: We miss you Mob miss you Bob. Yeah, but yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know how to transition out of that.
Speaker 1: I don't know how to transition, yeah, a transition to an outro. All I want to do is make an inappropriate joke because that's what Bob would have done. But I feel like our audience which would be like horrified, so I'll I'll just keep it serious. But just know it's there, guys, Just know it's there, and that Bob would be proud. Anyway. We love you, guys, We love you fan Yep, thank you, and uh and remember it's okay to ask for help. So yeah, keep fall See I'm a transition. I'm like, what are we doing for ending the podcast? We're ending. Take your time thinking to us at how Rude podcast on Instagram where you can get fun behind the scenes stuff and pictures and all that jazz. Uh, and then make sure that you're liking and subscribing to the podcast wherever you're listening to it on whatever platform so that you can get all the new episodes when they come out. And uh, yeah, remember guys, the world is small, but the therapist office isn't full.
Speaker 3: It's always room for.
Speaker 2: More, always room for more.
Speaker 1: That was such a good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, bravo, Jody.
Speaker 1: The world is small, but the therapist office door is open. There we go, that's what it is. But the therapist office door is open. Yeah, that's it. Yes chef's kiss
Speaker 3: And