Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour in this Monday Dan and the Dant Dan Patrick Show, we'll give you our best and worst of the weekend coming up more of your phone calls as well. We say good morning to our newest affiliate, It's Sports Radio ninety five seven Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Iowa, home with the Hawkeys and Iowa Sports and our thanks to Doug Wagner, the program director making this happen all right eight seven to seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a TP show. The final hour poll question is going to be what set o connor? We got a few of them working here, Dan, let me update you on all of tho. All right, as a matter of fact, let's see rooting for the White Sox to win asap or keep losing? Right now, that one.
Speaker 3: Is holding strong at eighty five percent of the audience want them to keep losing, mean spirited? Who had the worst weekend? John Ram about forty percent of that just behind them or the White Sox and Michigan Football, Michigan Football. And second, as a matter of fact, there and then who had the best weekend? It is a dead even tie between Scotty Scheffler and Noah Ales.
Speaker 4: Not ironically, how about that?
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, Scotty Scheffler was listed at plus six thousand to win the event with five holes to play, and rightfully so, because it looked like John ram all he I do is par the back nine and he was going to win the gold. Well he fell apart. Scotty Scheffler played great. That's one of those where you want to see somebody win an event, not somebody lose an event. So you won it, and you can make the argument John Rohm lost it, but Scotty Scheffler shot at sixty two. I mean all the great rounds of golf. Now, once again, when you play at the Masters, US Open, British Open, PGA, you're playing for yourself, you're playing at the Olympics, and now you're playing for your country. While you're playing for yourself, you're going to get the gold medal, but you're presenting your country. And I think that took Now. I can't speak for Scotty Scheffler, but it took on more of an importance because the gravity of I'm playing for my country and the reason why I felt this was because I watched Scotti Scheffler. He's won majors. He didn't get emotional like he did yesterday. You'd stand on the podium and you hear the anth hand over your heart, he's singing the anthem, and all of a sudden, you're in a foreign country and you're probably thinking of everything, millions of things flashing in front of you, of what this means, watching the Olympics when you're growing up, that I ever think I'd win a gold medal. I mean he might have thought, hey, I can win a green jacket. I don't know if I could ever win a gold medal, but he got that chance, like Novak Djokovic, the same thing. He's accomplished all of these things, as decorated as any tennis player in history. It's the one thing he didn't have, gold medal, and he was consumed by it. It brought him to his knees, emotional, you know, grabbing a hold of his family because they knew how much it meant. That's where you can try to script this, but you can't. That's what makes sports so great. Because as much as Scotti Scheffler probably thought all right, I'll get up there, get the podium to myself, and then they'll give me the gold medal, and then they play the anthem and then I fly home. And then all of a sudden, you get up there. And I've done this before in a you know, a much lesser degree, but winning a Sports Emmy where you go, all right, just get up there, thank people, get the trophy and walk off, and then all of a sudden, you get up there and you realize what it means to you, and it hits you, and it hit me hard. First time I won one, I was like, oh my god, I can't put words together, trust me, guys, Danet, oh like it it hit me, you know when I won my Sports Emmy. But individual Sports Jemmy there, Yeah, Which one of you guys will cry if we when we win a Sports Emmy? Marvin? Will you cry when we get up there?
Speaker 4: Easily? I am the black big for meal.
Speaker 5: That's a shirt.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right.
Speaker 5: Great line, I'm crying right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, Todd, would you cry if we won the Sports Timmy?
Speaker 6: I would be very excited, but I don't think I'd be brought to tears for some reason.
Speaker 2: Okay, Seating, would you cry? I'm a crier, but I don't think I would know. Paulie, Oh yeah, you're not crying.
Speaker 7: I would like to say no, and the assumption is no. But like you said, things can surprise you in life. I bet Scotti Scheffler when when he won it. You're you're totally right now, you're saying it was it's not normal for him to win this. He was putting his stuff back in his bag when Tommy Fleetwood missed the putt and he and his kindie goes, hey, thanks, like my five little bro hug, and he starts putting stuff away, grabbing his phone, and then fifteen minutes later it's like he's bawling his eyes out.
Speaker 4: Yes to Paully might say, this is very emotional.
Speaker 2: I myself, I would be emotional because of what that would represent to all of us here. But yes, you can sit there and go, oh yeah, I'll be fine. Yeah, I won't get emotional here. Then you get up there and all of a sudden, it's quiet and everybody's staring at you, and you're like, I got to put words to I get paid to put words together. Except for if you went into you know, Hall of Fame. Those kinds of things I'm a mess. I'm terrible. So that's why I'm going to have you guys speak when we win that Sports Emmy. You guys are going to do this speaking. I'm not going to say anything, but.
Speaker 5: I've had the same speech since before COVID.
Speaker 2: I know it's been a while, been a while, but I did wonder about, you know, the twenty twenty five Ryder Cup with all the great golfers that we've had. You know, Keegan Bradley going to be the captain there, but he got Scheffler, Bryce and de Shambeau, Xander Schaffley, Colin Moore, Cowlong, Wyndham Clark, Sahi, Tha Gala. These are all really, really really good golfers and feel a whole lot better after we got humbled in the Ryder Cup this last time, now on our soil in twenty twenty five. All right, we got our pole question for the final hour, Let's go around the room. Best and worst of the weekend. Let me start with the Black Dick, Vermeal, Marvin, your best and worst of the weekend?
Speaker 4: All right, best of the weekend.
Speaker 8: Anthony Edward's going twenty six points in only seventeen minutes as the usbat Puerto Rico and then worse at the weekend our men the three on three, they got eliminated. They lost twenty one to six to the Netherlands. So no gold medal for Jimmer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jimmer got hurt. Jimmer got hurt. I think maybe tore some muscles there, But I don't remember playing time being this much of a discussion. I saw a topic bar on the Mothership that said, you know, is Steve Kerr creating this drama because he didn't play Jason Tatum. Steve Kerr is as savvy as anybody I've ever met when it comes to coaching. I don't think he goes, you know what, let me create something here a little bit. Yeah, I mean he benched Joe el Embiid. But can you remember any other Olympics where we were discussing or trying to debate about the playing time. I get it, Jason Tatum, great player, great year, and he sat down and you didn't get to play. This is social media, is what this is. Because I didn't go, oh my god, as long as you're winning and I got somebody out there getting buckets, Ben, I don't need to put you in This isn't you know, participatory trophy time. We got to win, and I'm gonna win with who I think deserves to be out there, the right person to be out there. I mean, the players should be fine with this. What did Mike Shrushevski say. He coached a team that probably had as many egos as any other team in the history of basketball. He was there with the Dream Team as an assistant coach, and what did he say. I made them take a pledge that we were going to be all in on this, a pledge like we're going to be collective here. This isn't about playing time. This is about We're going to take a pledge.
Speaker 9: That's all.
Speaker 2: This is. Let's win, and if Steve Kerr wins, then I don't think this is going to be a topic of conversation. It shouldn't be, and I'm surprised it is this much. But it feels like, once again the time of the year, what there is to discuss, what there is to debate? So factor that in, okay, I let you behind the curtain. Is this manufactured? In my opinion it is, But this is the debate shows going. We gotta have something to talk about here. How about Jason Tatum not playing. Oh, Steve Kerr trying to you know, mess up things here. You know, I don't think Game Bay got upset with Joellenbiid being bench, did they? Well?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Pauling, I agree with you, and I think you're like ninety percent right on what you're saying. But I consider myself a pretty knowledgeable basketball guy, but not an expert, no way an expert. When I see Derek White playing and Jason Tatum not playing.
Speaker 2: They don't play the same position.
Speaker 7: I understand, but I, in my mind think Jason Tatum is drastically better than Derek White week to week as a basketball player.
Speaker 5: So I think it.
Speaker 7: Needs to be explained to people. When you see it now, there is tons of reaction. I have the same reaction, like, Okay, I know they don't play the same position, but the way Jason Tatum plays his position is really really good.
Speaker 2: But I'd rather have Kevin Durant than Jason Tatum.
Speaker 7: And I'm fine with that. I think that, But I think a lot of people who are casual basketball fans would ask for an explanation, and in a measured way.
Speaker 5: That's how I But have we done this before?
Speaker 2: When's the Lancet Olympics, where you go lead a big controversy over playing time.
Speaker 7: I would say go back, and this is a long, long time ago when John Thompson selected that Olympic team and he said, trust me, I know what kind of guys I want, and he took Dan Marley, who we didn't know, over really good players.
Speaker 2: But that's taking somebody, not the playing time.
Speaker 5: That's the last time I was telling.
Speaker 2: About playing time. And that's where we've manufactured this because somehow somebody wants to make Steve Kerr look bad or that he doesn't like Jason Tatum. Draymond Green on his podcast came out and said that his coach, you know, should have played Jason Tatum. Well, that led me to believe exactly what I'm believing is this is about getting clicks. This is about if Draymond said, hey, trust Steve Kerr. He's one of the great coaches in NBA history. Nobody cares about that. But if he's like, hey, you know what, he should have played him, Yes.
Speaker 3: It's almost like Steve Kurr isn't getting any credit for being a good coach because of the team he coaches.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that happens So I mean Chuck Daley didn't get credit for the dream team.
Speaker 3: Who couldn't win with that Warriors lineup? Who couldn't win with that team? That's Mark, that's Mark Jackson's team that he should have gotten all of those rings?
Speaker 2: Yeah, who couldn't do that?
Speaker 3: He has a little bit of that, And it's sort of carrying over into the Olympics where's he's not respected by some people as a coach.
Speaker 2: If Pop did this, I don't think people would have a problem with this. No, I don't If Phil Jackson did this, I don't think people would have a problem.
Speaker 4: Yes, Mark, we also love to complain because the US they're winning all their games comfortably, and we still have something to complain about.
Speaker 2: We want something to complain about. These debate shows. We're gonna remember Caitlyn Clark. Well, nobody said anything about Caitlyn Clark. Why because the team is great, they didn't need her and she might be sitting on the bench and then you know what that would have created. Why did she played? Oh are they dissing her by keeping her on the bed like this is? This is we're in the entertainment business. Little girls want to see her play? Yeah, I get it. We're creating something here, Paul. Best and worst of the weekend, I got two.
Speaker 5: I don't have a worst. I got two best. I gon know.
Speaker 7: USA swimmer Bobby Fink back to back Olympics with Olympic gold in the fifteen hundred and he got a world record. Great job by him. And then Saint Lucia, the small country Julian Alfred won Wednesday hundred meter women's gold medal. They were going crazy in Saint Lucia. I think it's less than two hundred thousand entire country. Julian Alfred with the gold.
Speaker 2: Todd Best and Worst of the weekend.
Speaker 6: Giants pitcher Blake Snell never completed eight innings over his nine year career through no hit of Friday Night and the three nothing went at the Reds. Good job, Blake Snell. Worst of the weekend. Staying with baseball, Blue Jay's manager John Schneider intentionally walks Aaron Judge in the second inning Salday, Nobody's on base, two outs, forty thousand plus booing at Yankee Stadium. Judge becomes the first player intentionally walked with the bases empty in the first twinnings of a game in the past half century.
Speaker 2: How about this one the last Yankee to be walked intentionally three times in a game after you know or before Aaron Judge. If you said Bernie Williams g would be correct.
Speaker 4: Let's stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, here comes here comes that? What stat of the day Seaton Best and Worst of the weekend.
Speaker 3: I'm going with a best and it is the country of Ireland. Daniel Wiffin, the swimmer, getting a lot of attention. Right, He's picked himself up a gold out of nowhere, got a bronze as well.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Total medals for Ireland at the Olympic Games between nineteen sixty and nineteen ninety two they had six, and all that time, the whole country had six medals. This week, the first week of the Paris Games, they've had seven.
Speaker 2: I think the over utter was two and a half.
Speaker 3: They had more medals in one week than they had in thirty two years. The word powerhouse is being thrown around. It's a little early for that, but I'm just saying, don't sleep on Ireland.
Speaker 2: Let's go right, yeah, okay, power house Okay, h Noah in Pennsylvania, Hi A, Noah, thanks for holding best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 10: Hey, Dan, so I got a short story to put a previous topic the rest and two best of the weekend, like Paulie So, like you mentioned earlier, shut up and Spanish just pronounced kayat. And I didn't learn that from going on the internet or anything or in the schoolroom. I learned that from ninth grade basketball when my teammate was chirping to the rap about one of the calls and his mom was in the stands going Kiatajonatan Kyrite. That always made me and my mom crack up. Tell them that story. But so the first one. My first best of the weekend is Steven Superman winning a bronze in the pommel horse, as a tremendous gymnast that he is. And my second best is Katie Bladeki winning her fourth goals in the eight hundred meters freestyle race. That's incredible. And the fact that she hasn't given a firm I believe she hasn't given a firm yes or no to participating in a fist.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't give any indication, thank you. Noan Her and si oone Biles don't owe anybody anything. I don't want you to make a decision now enjoy it. Why now we want to let's fast track this to twenty twenty eight in La. Just enjoy it. You've earned that, both of you have. You don't owe anybody an explanation for any of this.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's bad enough when they ask a coach or player are you coming back next season? This is four years from now, so it's kind of insane.
Speaker 2: Well, I think Simone Biles brought up that, hey, when you get married, when you're having a kid, Hey you had a kid, when you have in your next kid? And we sort of have that mindset when it comes to athletics as well, Hey you won uh are you going to compete in the next Olympics. It's it's constant moving forward and nodding allowed, not allowing these athletes coaches to kind of revel in the moment there. And I agree with Simone Biles, and I don't know if Katie Leadecki felt the same way, but Simone's like, you know, let's just enjoy this. How about we take a break. We will talk to Jeremy Shapp from the Mothership. He'll join us from Paris. Coming up. More of your phone calls as well. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen. Hey, it's me Rob Parker.
Speaker 11: Check out my weekly MLB podcast, Inside the Parker for twenty two minutes of piping hot baseball talk, featuring the biggest names of newsmakers in the sport. Whether you believe in analytics or the I test, We've got all the bases covered. New episodes dropped every Thursday, So do yourself a favor and listen to Inside the Parker with Rob Parker on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Couple of phone calls, then we'll get to ESPN reporter Jeremy Sham. He will join us from Paris. Matt in Virginia. Hey Matt, what's on your mind today? Thanks for holding.
Speaker 12: Good morning Dan. My mess on the weekend was Devin Hester getting into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and especially his speech where he highlighted other return guys like Brian Mitchell and Josh Cribbs and supporting their induction as well. I just wanted to see what you thought the future was for guys like that. I'm a Washington fan, so I saw Mitchell for a decade and what a difference he made. I mean, there's only one guy in NFL history with moral purpose yards than Mitchell, and that's Jerry Rice.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I hope that. You know it's you're asking these writers, these voters, you know, to factor in other things because you know it takes takes a long time for them to go, well, the specificity of somebody's role, like you're a special you know, Matthew Slater, is he a Hall of Famer? I mean he might play six ' ten plays a game. First Team All Pro comes down to a place kicker like Adam Vinitari. Yes, Morton Anderson, yes, but it take It's taken a while for them to be recognized. A punter taken a while. It took Ray guy for a long time. But you have to be the absolute best. And I think it takes research to realize what Brian Mitchell did and how dangerous, how valuable he was. But Devin Hester, he set the bar and now you're going to be compared to Devin Hester. And that might be the tricky part here, but I hope I just know that how backbreaking that could be opening kickoff. It's like Ricky Henderson hitting a leadoff home run in a game, like it's oh my god, we're already behind and it just breaks your back or gain. You just tie the score, you kick off and they take it back. I mean, just those guys are so few and far between. Yeah, Pauline, I.
Speaker 7: Know we talk about Dione Sanders a lot on the show, but if you took away his career as a defensive back, he's flirting with the Hall of Fame as a return man and he didn't return all of them, but he returned a lot. He had six punt returns for touchdown and three kick off returns for touchdown. Out He would have to do a lot more work there, but it shows that just his return game was flirting with all time like Cordero.
Speaker 2: Patterson, to me is one of the more dangerous guys, versatile guys. Now is he a Hall of Famer? Probably not, but man, it was dangerous. Like you know, when he's back there, it's all you know. Now all of a sudden, it changes. But I don't know if you're going to get more kick returns, and I mean I hope we do. I hope we get touchdowns. I hope we get excitement there instead of seven yards, twelve yards, you know, maybe thirty yards.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, but then we're going to say, but that was in the dynamic.
Speaker 2: As yeah, you're probably right about that. All right, more phone calls coming up. We spoke with Jeremy Shapp earlier this morning in Paris, and I started off by asking the dan Ads, beginning with Todd, whether or not they thought that Jeremy Shapp of the Mothership could speak fluent French.
Speaker 3: Yes, Seaton, one of the many languages he speaks. Yes, Marvin, Yes, Paulie probably majored in English. But yes, I'm gonna say, no way.
Speaker 9: Are you asking you?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 9: Do I get to yes, I'm going to invoke my Fifth Amendment privileges. I did take nine years of French, but it made virtually no impact on me. I try, I do put in the time and the effort, but usually it just gets me into trouble. I joke, I know just enough to be dangerous.
Speaker 2: Dan nine years, nine years.
Speaker 9: Fourth grade through twelfth grade. In fact, I went to a junior high school in New York that was primarily a French school. Basically every other kid spoke French, and so I was already too far behind. But I blame my teachers.
Speaker 2: They were yeah, cool, Yeah, of course punishment. Let's look back on Sunday. The biggest story of Sunday Djokovic, Scheffler, Noah Asles other no.
Speaker 9: Lyles' is the biggest story. It's the one hundred meters dash. It's you know, historically one of the marquee events at the Olympic Games. Golf is something I still don't really associate with the Olympics, frankly. And it goes the same for tennis. I mean, they've been part of the programs now for some time, tennis more than golf. But you know, those are sports that have their other moments. When you're talking about the Olympics, you're talking about Jesse Owens and Bob Hayes and Jackie Joyner Kersey and Donovan Bailey and Hussein Bolt and this is the you know, the race that confers the status is the fastest man in the world, the fastest human on the planet. And it wasn't just that he won. It was a spectacular race. And you know how it goes to the Olympics and you know, you know these things are spread out all over city some cases all over country and you don't get to everything. But last night I went up to this God de France, just you know, outside of the peripheriq North Past and San Deni because I wanted to see one hundred meter dash in person. I'd never seen it in person before. I'd seen the four by one hundred a few times, and and the way they build up the height, the drama as the race is about to start. I mean, it's you know, it's like it's like when Roy Jones used to fight or Mike Tyson used to fight. They really, you know, made it a show. And by the time that race starts and you've been sitting there, and you know, I was enjoying the other stuff too. You know, I'm a big fan of the hammer throw, but you are, you're you're ready for that, you know, ten seconds and it was a spectacular race. And we were all standing there just like the runners themselves at the end, wondering who'd want that's a great race.
Speaker 2: I mentioned to the audience. I mentioned to the dan Ets quite a few times. One of the greatest moments I ever had at the Olympics was in London with Usain Bolt and watching what he was running the two hundred meters. TV spoils you because it keeps everything in frame. When you're there watching, you don't, I mean, you get the true sense of just how fast somebody is on TV. You're like, wow, they're all kind of running together, and there it is. It's over.
Speaker 9: It flattens the whole thing. It flattens the whole thing. And you know, as I said, I've been to the four by one hundred a couple of times. I remember seeing, you know, Donovan Balley's team Team Canada win in ninety six in Atlanta. The US often you know, messes up the pass, uh, but the one hundred and to see those fastest humans on the planet and you know, I think it was nine seven, nine to nine, nine to one all of the guys. We're talking about twelve one hundredths of a second separating first place and last place and not in no lyles having to overcome a tough start to win the race. And you know, it's been a long drought for America in the sprints. This is you know, an event that we've dominated since the revive of the Olympic Games in eighteen ninety six in Athens, Dan and then all the great names and that, you know, the Eddie Tolans and the Ralph Metcalts and the Jesse owens Is and Harrison Dillard's and we could go on right Ay's and Hines. It's uh, it was. It was really exciting.
Speaker 2: Talking to Jeremy Shapper the mothership joining us from Paris, USA swimming in Australia. Do we not like each other? Is it a true rivalry?
Speaker 9: I mean it always has been, you know. I you know, I'm not around the swimmers asking them about you know, do you know, uh, you know what you feel about this person personally, et cetera, et cetera. But it's always been one of the great rivalries in swimming. And I think you know, you know, I'm not sure the current medal count going back all the way beginning, but if you're to ask me, who are the two nations that have dominated swimming over the last one hundred and thirty years, it's Australia, right and the United States. The United States number one, Australia number two. And you know, there was a lot of disappointment for the US in this swim competition. There was a lot of greatness. There was a lot of triumph. There was, you know, absolute transcendence from Katie Ladecci, you know, the fifteen hundred and the eight hundred and the four by two hundred. But but you know, there were some disappointments, and not just you know, for people that we kind of had an eye on as up and comers, but for people who had proven themselves previously.
Speaker 2: Simone Biles twenty seven, Katie Ladeci twenty seven more likely to be in Los Angeles in your opinion, you.
Speaker 9: Know, they Simone Biles, you know, I think it's sick of answering that question. I think Katie Ladeci's sick of answering that question. You know, they're both twenty. I think they were born within three or four days of each other. They came into these games dan as arguably the two greatest ever in their respective sports, and they emerge from these games, you know, only furnishing those legacies. I mean, what they've done. And you know at twenty seven, which there have been exceptions, and it's been changing over the years, you know, as athletes and these sports become professionalized, extending their careers. But you know that there was a time when twenty seven was geriatric in these sports and they're not just winning, right, they're still dominating. So you know, why wouldn't they do it? Only because you would have to imagine it's going to take so much out of them. If these next games, right were back in Beijing, or you know, they were in Stockholm, if they were anywhere other than Los Angeles in the United States, I would say, yeah, I think that's this is a good way to go out, right, and you've got your records, your legacy is on question. But there are going to be so many opportunities.
Speaker 13: A lot of.
Speaker 2: A lot of money attached to those two going into the next Olympics. Though that that has to play a factor.
Speaker 9: Well, yeah, that's what I'm saying. I think there's going to be, especially being in the US. But you know, is it as if though there isn't gonna be money even if they walk away Now, I don't know, I don't know. I think there. I mean, obviously there will be, but I think it's a different order of magnitude if we've got those games in the US, and I mean, if they're competing in those games in four years.
Speaker 2: Give me the Paris Review of Paris as a host city.
Speaker 9: I mean, look, I wasn't there in nineteen twenty four Dans last time they had the Olympics, or in nineteen oh four or nineteen hundred the first time, I should say, those were the two previous occasions on which Paris played host of the Olympics. Look, I don't want to jinx it. We still got a full week to go. A lot can happen in the last week. But you know, when we talk about these things in terms of logistics, in terms of you know, putting on a good show, I think you know, they're getting an A plus or you know, whatever the French equivalent in the school system is. You know, it was kind of crazy right to roll the dice on that opening ceremony down the set. It was such a massive, over the top production and there was, you know, a very good likelihood it was going to rain on their parade, and of course it did. But they you know, they they like to take their chances, and they did. And so far, I mean, you know, I think about this, If things weren't going well, you've got the media of the world coming together here in Paris, you'd be hearing about it. And so far I think you know it's been a spectacular backdrop to some great competition.
Speaker 2: All right, before we say goodbye, you took nine years of French when you were in grade school, in high school, So why don't you bid us a doo with a little bit of French from Paris.
Speaker 9: I could sing some of the Marseilles that would be along San font De God, don't make me do it, Damn, I'll just say au vois mercy.
Speaker 1: Dan.
Speaker 2: I'm going to give you a bronze for that, more than I deserve. Yes, that's true. Be safe over there, Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 9: Love you.
Speaker 2: Jeremy Shah from The Mother Show over there covering the Olympic Games. All right, final results of the poll. Question what we learn, what's in store tomorrow? We're going to try to accomplish that. Sports history will have that for you as well. A couple more best and worst of the weekend, like this one from Jeff in Indianapolis.
Speaker 12: Maybe you best and worst, I'll give you my I'll give you my my worst first, because I think my best is a lot more important. My worst is the three on three Olympic basketball is horrible. I was thinking about you watching over the weekend about your rants of these guys carrying the ball, and it was amazing watching these guys carry the ball extra steps. It was just just awful. I think one guys actually walked more than a marching band. Okay, my my best is D ran a segment. I think it was Friday or Saturday evening, I forget which it was called in the Company of Heroes. Did you happen to catch that?
Speaker 2: Yes? I do. Yes.
Speaker 12: So for anybody who potentially missed that, google it and watch it. It'll make you smile, it'll make you cry a little bit. It was really really well done.
Speaker 2: And a former NFL player, Donny Edwards is the one who heads this up. Where taking these veterans who were there and served in World War Two there Normandy. Omaha, it's very very moving. And I've said this before when I went over there and I kept telling my wife for over a year, I said, Honey, I've got to go to Normandy. I have to. I don't know why I have to go. And so she surprised me and then planned a trip and it was even greater than I thought. I was reading books. I had to go. I don't know why. It was hitting me like that. But I had to go walk the beach, went to these different museums over there, you meet with people, go to the US Cemetery.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: Spectacularly moving, prideful, sad like so many emotions hit you. But when you look from where and I did this, I went into the water to look up where these machine guns were mounted. And these are eighteen nineteen year old kids and they're getting off these boats and you can't even really see the machine guns, and the way they had them set up. They angled their bullets in. They didn't shoot straight ahead in case they missed. They wanted to angle them to make sure that they were hitting as many Americans as possible. I can't imagine getting off one of those boats and you see people around you dying and you just had to keep going, keep going, keep going, keep going. But they were so disguised up here in these hills where they had little caves cut out, and they were there just firing away as fast as they could to kill as many as they could. But to be able to go and witness that, to see that, to feel that who never leave you, never ever leave you. Well take a break. Last call for phone calls right after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: What a great day welcomed in two new affiliates, ninety five seven seater Rapids Iowa, Iowa City, home of the Hawk Eyes, and also Raleigh, North Carolina Sports Radio one o six point one FM. Let me see this day in sports history. What we learn final results of the You know, I had some numbers here from DraftKings. I didn't even get to which NFL team will score the least amount of points in the regular season this season? According to DraftKings, the least amount, Marvin, I'll start.
Speaker 4: With you, Carolina Panthers.
Speaker 2: They are fourth on this list. Paulie Ah, Arizona Cardinals. Nope, They're expected to be a lot better than people think. Todd I better be wrong. Denver their second great Seaton Jaguars. You're Patriots. I'm sorry who you're Patriots? The Patriots, and then the Broncos, followed by the Raiders, Panthers, Steelers, Titans. Boy if the Steelers are not scoring points with Russ there and Justin Fields. Oh yes, Also, here's something the highest total passing yards in a single game this season? Will it be over four hundred and ninety yards? The over under is four to ninety and a half. Is anybody gonna throw for more than four hundred and ninety yards in a game?
Speaker 7: Paul, I'll say yes, and I'll throw out the name. I'm gonna go Matthew Stafford old school. He hasn't done that in a while. Throwback game, Yeah, throwback game. He was a king of those.
Speaker 2: Will somebody throw for forty touchdown passes this year? The over under is thirty nine and a half. Anybody think forty touchdowns? No takers? There? Will anybody throw for five thousand yards this season? The over under four nine five ozho and a half. Marvin, are you saying we'll have a five thousand yard passer?
Speaker 4: I think there's gonna be two.
Speaker 2: Okay, Oh, it'll be one. Uh, but it'll be two. Okay, all right, bloop bloop, I got that for you. Uh Toby in Kentucky, Hi, Tob, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Hey Dan?
Speaker 13: It's uh five five five six on a good day.
Speaker 10: Uh one sixty.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I wanted to talk a story about riding running with the bulls and going to a bullfight. Okay, uh it started in California when I rode a couple of bulls with some cowboys created for.
Speaker 2: The drenalne rush.
Speaker 13: Ever, so I decided the next year to go to Spain with my brother for his high school graduation. He's ten years younger. Went to Spain portgal a couple weeks decided to end in Pamplona running with the bulls, and my mom said, well, if you don't come back, you should have come back. And uh so we got we ran and we started out. We took a course earlier in the day with a guy who'd been running for like years for safety, and when we started, we end up running, and we ended up making it about halfway through. And since my brother is a little bit younger, not as fast he bulls were coming up. We were in a back into a corner against a burger king of all places in Spain. Uh and yeah right, a bull was one of the six They have six like torri bulls, the meat ones, and then they have six cattle bulls that sort of hurt them. And when this one was coming, he was coming right at us and swooped his horns probably within a good two feet of our stomachs, you know, when we were sucking them in and uh real coming to Jesus moment right there. But we ended up after it ran passed, we foll end up following it into the arena. And then later that night, the same bulls that run are the ones that they fight. And I, you know, I've never been to a bull fight. We're like, okay, went so, I didn't know that they weakened the bulls before they fight them. So they come out and it's like, looks like Samurai gear on horses, and they weakened the bull a couple of times by stabbing it, and then they've let it fight, and I was, man, that's not a spare.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, that's a little bit too much detail there to Yeah, we get necessary detail, yea, necessary, We get the idea those warriors in there. Todd said that was a whopper of a story with the yeah, we might make a team Bowl T shirt Team Bowl. Yeah, there's Dames sports history, Paul, this is fun.
Speaker 7: Nineteen sixty, for the first time, two MLB managers were traded for each other. Detroit traded Jimmy Dikes for Cleveland's Joe Gordon no details on why or how. Let's see this is fun. Mark McGuire nineteen nine to nine career home run five hundred record for the fewest at bats to the five hundred home run mark, and then of course popular baseball commentator, oh just baseball commentator Alex Rodriguez. In twenty thirteen, Bud Selig banned him from the league for two hundred and thirteen games for taking foreign dancing drugs illegal foreign dancing drugs. That number of games were reduced to one sixty two.
Speaker 2: On this date. In twenty twelve, Usain Bolt won one hundred meters at the London Olympics. The winning time yesterday was what a little over nine point seven seconds? Bolt won with nine point six three. I think, what is that? A nine point so yeah, a tenth and a half maybe, which is a lot. But Bolt won the gold medal. Let's see final results of the pole question Seaton.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got a.
Speaker 3: Couple of doozies in there.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 3: Why isn't it coming up for me? There we go, I'm rooting for the White Sox to keep losing. Is now at eighty six percent, We're closing at eighty six percent. John Rahm had the worst weekend and Scottie Scheffler's had the best weekend.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, sounds good.
Speaker 4: Scotty keeps winning.
Speaker 2: Let's see, we'll talk to Scott Hansen. He's working for the Olympics NBC. He's got the Gold Zone with Andrew Siciliana and Jared Payton older son covering the Bears, so we'll talk to him as well coming up tomorrow. Let's go around the room. What we learned in the program? Todd, I'm gonna start with you. Did you learn anything Tod did?
Speaker 6: When you're not favorite of silver or even bronze, medal can feel like winning gold, especially if you're going up against Biles.
Speaker 3: Or Ledicky Seat, O'Connor, Jeremy Shpp might speak languages, maybe.
Speaker 2: Marvin, what did you learn today?
Speaker 4: Ireland is now an Olympic powerhouse?
Speaker 2: Yes, over under? I think it was two and a half and they would have seven Olympic gold medals of this morning. Yeah, Olympic medals. Paulie, what did you learn to impressively?
Speaker 7: Jeremy Shapp took nine years of French but doesn't speak French.
Speaker 2: Todd, what did I learn today?
Speaker 6: If you don't give him all the questions ahead of time. Mark Sindres gets flustered in an interview.
Speaker 2: He's like Todd, never gave me those topics.
Speaker 4: Apposed to be just about kickoffs and young quarterback.
Speaker 2: You weren't supposed to give him topics he should know.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, I'm gotta give a specific questions. Just give him a few when we learned.
Speaker 2: Brought to you by tire rack dot com, the efficient tire expert of the Danpatrick Show. Go to tirac dot com see the full lineup of Continental tire special offers, free road hazard protection and mobile tire installation. Tire rack dot Com is the way tire buying should be. I hope you have a great day. We look forward to entertaining you tomorrow. For Fritzie Seaton, Marv pauliyears truling, this has been the Dan Patrick Show. We'll talk to you tomorrow