Speaker 1: A four hundred thousand dollars mattress. It's one more thing, I'm strong andy, one more thing? Does it come with a woman already on it? That's wrong for me?
Speaker 2: Or what?
Speaker 1: That would be overpriced? Are you kidding?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, even then it'd be like, that's ridiculous. So I talked about this.
Speaker 2: I don't remember if it was on the long end illegal and moral and perverse and sick and exploitive but also overpriced, man and hot.
Speaker 1: So I talked about this either on the show or on the One More Thing podcast a year or so ago, because I'd read this article in the New York Times and it was it was an I grabbing headline, A four hundred thousand dollars mattress Hastin's bed. I don't know how you pronounce it. I can't say it exactly like the Swedish salesman to Swedish company, the Swedish salesman, because the a's got dots over it and stuff. But oh, this is Hastens. There's something but has t e n s. I had talked about this year so ago. I read this article in the New York Times and it was kind of a fun article about a guy who was reviewing this product. He heard about it and he laid down on the beds and he wrote about it, and it was really interesting, and it was a you know, I just thought it was interesting. And they've got only a couple of stores around the world, and a couple in the United States. Last summer, when I was in New York City with my kids, we were walking down Park Avenue and I saw one of the stores. I thought, holy crap, they've got a store here. But it was closed, and I thought, oh wow, I would love to have laid down on one of those beds. Well, it turns out they've got a store in Palo Alto. Of course they do, because if you're listening in other parts of the country, maybe you don't know this, but there's a little area of California they call Silicon Valley. But like I crossed the bridge, whichever is that the Dumbarton er, I get my bridges mixed up. But anyway you drive across in there, I am on one Hacker Way. There's Google. I mean, there's Facebook. There's Google. Just a couple of miles up the road, there's Apple. Tesla's right over there. You know, like five of the seven most valuable companies in the world are all within a couple of blocks each other. So there are a lot of really really rich people around, and there's some fancy shopping in that area. Obviously.
Speaker 2: I had coffee with a friend there once. It was several years ago, but and he's in the industry and hipped to it, and he kept saying, you see that guy over there. I'm like, in the puffy vest and the shirt that everybody else is wearing. He's like, Yeah, that guy sold whatever jostogram to metaph for three point four billion dollars. I'm like, damn, now he's working on something. Oh you see that guy over there that Yeah, it's teeming with those people.
Speaker 1: So I wanted to go to a fancy mall on my birthday, and I went to the uh the mall. There were right next to where Stanford University is, and I'm walking from store to store and I see a sign for this bed and I thought, Wow, they've got one of those stores here, and it was open, and I walked in and I said, I read about your beds in the New York Times. I've got to lay down on them. Well, it gets interesting from the very beginning and I would love to know more about the way they train their sales people and everything like that. They clearly did what Ferrari dealers, these people who sell three million dollar homes whatever, they've got to qualify their customers right off the bat to figure out if they're wasting their time or not. And he had all kinds of clever ways to try to get around to figuring it. For like, I'm even possibly could be a person who would buy a bed that they range from forty thousand dollars. I'm just talking to mattress. You got to get your your actual bed frame is separate. That's the low end. The low end is thirty eight grand, but with tax would be forty thousand dollars. That's the cheapest. And that's by far the most expensive mattress I've ever heard of my life. We've done a lot of commercials for people who so bed and usually like the most expensive mattress you can get. You're talking like nine ten thousand dollars for just the over the top insane who buys this mattress. The cheapest one they had at the store was forty grand. It went up to eight hundred thousand dollars for a mattress.
Speaker 2: Unless the support structure is gold bars. What the f were we talking about here?
Speaker 1: So I have a guess they profiled me on just putting you having me lay down in a bed to start with, because it's all about you know, pegging the negotiations, right, I mean in sales, it's a similar sort of way. They wouldn't want to put you in an unattainable number to start with, because then you're going to be disappointed. I think that'd be my guess. There's got to be a psychology to it, I would think anyway.
Speaker 2: Well I just went in what sense I mean, because after laying down on the eight hundred thousand dollars one, the three hundred and fifty thousand dollars one was jabbing you in the back or what. It's all imaginary anyway.
Speaker 1: Well see that's the other part of it too, is the and you know this about like wine, musical instruments, jewelry, there's all kinds of things we sorts a liquor. We don't have control of our brains, no human does. You do not have the ability to separate knowing what this costs from what it actually tastes like, sounds, like drives like whatever. You just can't it's impossible. And some people get into the well it's expensive, so it's it's gotta be good thing in their brain subconsciously. Some people go the other direction. I've known this crowd too, got to this time I could get something for five dollars. It days like good. Some people have to go the other direction, or for whatever reason. You get all mixed up in your head about you know how much of this is imaginary or not? Which is fascinating, Yes, Katie.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I'm just listening, and I'm I'm still trying to wrap.
Speaker 1: It's really hard to do. I've done out with wine where people give me wine from a glass of wine, a sipple, wine from a two hundred dollars bottle, and welly, this tastes really good, but is it? In my imagination it tastes really good? Being convinced that it is it the label cool? Would I feel like a rube if I said it tastes just like the other one? I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it's like, well no, go ahead, no you Oh well, I've seen those things where they'll take, like phronsiea boxed wine and put it into a really nice bottle and then all of a sudden, your brain does that thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as my brother, the nuclear engineer, would point out, the scale is not linear. The idea that a fifty dollars bottle of wine is separated by the same amount to one hundred dollars bottle of wine as one hundred to one hundred and fifty to one hundred and fifty to two on up to you know, presumably a four hundred and fifty dollars bottle of wine ought to be as much better than a four hundred dollars bottle of wine than a one to fifty is to a one hundred to a fifty, and it's not. It's not even remotely like that.
Speaker 1: Well right, so then if you're starting to cut it down to a two hundred dollars bottle of wine is five percent better than an eighty dollars wine, whatever that better even means? There does the human mind have the ability to separate out the amount of money this is from the marginal taste difference. I mean, that's kind of fine with your imagination and your ability to convince yoursel test.
Speaker 2: It's a personality test.
Speaker 1: It's really interesting. So then get getting to the bedding on this whole thing. Is that eight hundred thousand dollars one is it?
Speaker 2: You're supported by the brains of Nobel laureates that have been preserved. I mean, I'm trying to picture what it would be the eyebrow air of virgins with IQs over one hundred and forty or with the hell it's hilarious, yea, how do you justify that?
Speaker 1: Well, to a certain extent, it's art in the same way that like really expensive mechanical watches. You're paying for the fact that, you know, the handful of craftsmen on Earth that can work with their hands and make these tiny little parts, make a watch that will display the moon phases and keep to the second over a year. You know, it's a two hundred thousand dollars watch you're paying for. You know that the artisanship of that, not that it tells better time. The bet is similar that way to a certain extent, and that at the upper tier beds you have nine artisans he used that term nine artisans. It takes them like almost a year to make the bed. They sew all the fabric around it by hand with certain kind of double stitching thread. Blah, blah blah blah. The main thing with the betting itself is it's horse hair, and horse hair has some properties or some other bs. For some reason, there's a horse there isn't that handy? And on the upper to your beds, the artisans take the horse hair and straighten out it'ch each individual hair. Oh oh for come sbs.
Speaker 2: Calligula would be embarrassed by that. So let me get to be.
Speaker 1: And these beds are according to my son mentioned and rap song stuff like that, like they sort of rap song where you talk about crystal champagne and driving in your lambeau. They mention, uh, and Trump was a frequent heston mention in that sort of song for a long time, living like Trump. So anyway, so I go into the store. They somehow pegged me as the guy that should lay on one particular bed. And then at one point he says, so you read the New York Times article, so you're aware with that. And he didn't say the cost. He had some fancy term for the entry point or something like that, the investment in this world or something. I said, yeah, yeah, I know what they cost. He said that bed you're laying on. Well, first of all. So I have to take off my shoes and my jacket, and I took my glasses because I'm the only person in the store and there's three people kind of working on me. And they turn off the lights. Get to lay down to the bed and they bring me a blanket and cover me up and kind of tucked in and they get a pillow behind my edge, and I took off my shoes in my jacket and my glasses.
Speaker 3: Me.
Speaker 2: Can you cuddle up next to me place? Yeah, spoon, let's let's spoon. I like to the little spoony half an hour. Yeah, I'm the littlest spoon.
Speaker 1: Yes. This all experience was so entertaining. I was there for like forty five minutes, and I was happy to do it because I'd been wondering about this for a long time, and it was my birthday. I was just trying to entertain myself. I had nothing on my schedule.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: So anyway, so I get under. They give me these like little booties to put on, like really cool. Uh, Like they're like wool on the inside, booties that are made of the same fabric of the bread the bed. These beds are famous for being this blue and white checkered pattern. That's like how you notice if you go in somebody's house and you see that that they've got one of those beds. So I got these booties on that are that, and I'm laying down in the bed and then I'm getting tucked in and all that sort of stuff. And I'm laying there and he said that that bed you're in right there is six so ninety six thousand dollars mattress and box springs, which is just impossible to wrap your head around.
Speaker 2: And you're still working the lower end.
Speaker 1: And I would say it felt better than any bed I've ever laid on. I think, unless my mind is tricking me, the thing that I mentioned to him was my bed, and I've got a really nice bed. My shoulder hurts from my motorcycle wreck all the time, minor, not a big deal, but it always hurts laying in bed. No matter how I lay in this bed, it did not hurt at all. Now, is that my mind doing a trick on me? Maybe? Who knows? Maybe the I think at this level, the horse hairs have not been straightened out by hand. They just stuff it full of a certain kind of horse hair. Machines straightened, no machines involved in anything. They're just still curling but very very very comfortable bed. So there's no doubt about it. And I try a whole bunch of different beds because they got firm and soft and this and that and different things that different beds do, and put me in the forty eight thousand dollars bed and uh, it still felt really really good, but not quite as good as the ninety six thousand dollars bed.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to hear about the parting of company, but before I do a follow up, I remember when the New York Times article came out, we were talking about this number one. I was confused, Katie. I thought it was horrors hair that they had shorn the heads of sex workers for this man cool you extra that. I was, oh boy, and uh what was the Oh that just flit it out of my mind.
Speaker 1: Horror's hair, I started.
Speaker 2: I was picturing bald headed hookers and it was just so distracting to me.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's right.
Speaker 2: That the maintenance of these things. Yes, yeah, so are you going to get into that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the maintenances comes with the bed, So that's really nice you throw in with the so the bed will last you basically the rest of your life. If I were thirty years old and made a lot of money, you could possibly justify that over that amount of time replacing mattresses, you get close to breaking even for a better sleep. Possibly you could. I don't know, but I'm not thirty years old, and you know money is a thing, so U but yeah, you have to have them flipped in massage two or three times a year. But that's part of the deal. They'll send a team of two artisans to your house a couple times a year and they will flip in massage your bed to get it back. So that's always working at its ultimate. But you got to make.
Speaker 2: Her say that's what's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: To know she's not a cop? Is that? Is that how that works?
Speaker 2: Joe stuck on Hookers flipped in massage?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 2: I got that once in Thailand, the greatest night in my life.
Speaker 1: So I lay down in all these different beds and they are amazing, And so he said, would you like to lay down on the fore Uner thousand dollars bed. That's the one that Drake sleeps on and it's mentioned in one of his songs. So I go lay down in that bed, and this is just like I'm using the words from the New York Times review because I remember it. It was as if I was just floating in air, like it was air pockets holding me. It's like like if enough air pressure had me up in the air. It was as if nothing was touching my body. If I you know, it was perfectly comfortable. It was hard. It's hard to describe it was. I don't know, well, it's it's like I described, It's just if you're just floating there, like if you were a weightless in space. I suppose that would would it would feel I'm on the Space Show. And I was just on my back, like no points of pressure whatsoever of any kind. It was wild.
Speaker 2: Please try not to picture the poor shaved horses running around fling exactly.
Speaker 1: It was just their skin showing. You know, cold it gets some Sweden in the winter.
Speaker 2: The horses, yeah, exactly, they're like those damn weird looking cats.
Speaker 1: So the four thousand dollars bed was amazingly comfortable. I did not. I don't know why I didn't. I just couldn't make myself even laid down. He said, do you want to try the one next to it, that's the eight hundred thousand dollars bed. And I just didn't. I said, I'm not going to buy a four hundred thousand dollars mattress. So there's no point in me. I mean, I don't want to waste your time. But I probably should have laid down it. Would it have to feel twice as good? What have I had? This is what I wonder the second I lay down? Do I work on them a ted?
Speaker 2: Get a little tiring? Honestly, see you're in bed.
Speaker 1: Did they let you keep the booties? Yes? Nice, I think probably because my feet had been in them. But and put them in a bag made of the same material as the thing. So I got this cool tote bag with the booties. I was pretty awesome. I can't believe they probably do that for every Tom Dick or Harry that walks in off the street course in that area, and not a lot of Tom Dick and Ariess are walking off the street unless they're you know, Tom the CEO at Tesla.
Speaker 2: And every Sundar Mark and Elon who walks in off the street exactly.
Speaker 4: I wonder how many of these beds they actually sell.
Speaker 1: I wonder how many you need to sell to stay open. Yeah, which is a good question. I wondered about all that. The business structure. I find that super interesting. I'd love to know more about it, Like how many, literally do you have to sell a month to keep the doors open and pay your salespeople? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think I think you probably sell the eight hundred thousand dollars one two, like rappers and singers who know that rival singer has the four.
Speaker 1: Hundreds in LA you do, and in this area it's it's probably all tech people right right right in LA. Yeah, because he used to run the story in Los Angeles and that would be like movie stars. He said, Oh yeah, the movie stars and the rappers, they all they all know about this brand.
Speaker 2: So I've been among the very very successful. Fair amount they tolerate me because I'm amusing, But I know if nobody knows correct you're you're the super rich guy who has the watch, the mattress, the car, then there's no satisfaction exactly exactly. So what do you get like a lawn sign with that checkering your pattern you're referring tour?
Speaker 1: How do you let people know?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 1: I it's funny, I'm My life is the opposite, because I said to the guy, said, if I ever bought one of these, I couldn't tell a single person because my my world is the opposite. Everybody I know who knows me, family and friends of me like, what are you freaking knuts? You morons? They wouldn't react with, oh cool, aren't you fake? It'd be like you are a you are an idiot? Right, would be the reaction of everybody I personally hang out with. Uh, he said, you'd say, you'd think that, But he said, eventually he gets a point, and he brought up a TV show I forget was a Netflix series where there's a dinner party among powerful and somebody brings up, yeah, I got a bed. It's a Heston. You probably haven't heard of it. And he said, oh I have, I have one too, And then everybody at the table mentioned that they have a Heston bed. So like among just like you were saying, among the super powerful, it's kind of a Oh you're in the club. I'm in the club too. We're in the club of people who buy six figure mattresses.
Speaker 2: See if I were them, I'd have like cloth of napkins in that pattern, and you just have a dinner party and you'd have those napkins and people would be like, oh, as a Heston.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And also I was talking to my kids about that, could I even have enough money that I would buy a four hundred thousand dollar mattress? And I don't think I could. I mean, I'm not a tax the billionaires. You should feel guilty for your luxuries sort of guy. But if there's one child on earth that doesn't have something, I couldn't justify having a four thousand dollars mattress. That's just insane. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Apparently, according to Forbes, they saw about sixteen thousand premium beds a year.
Speaker 1: The main model, the two thousand t I think it is. That's their top selling model. That's the one that varies between like forty eight and ninety six or something. That's what they sell mostly. But how many people could post? What does he do with the people that come in there that he figures out quickly can't afford one of those beds, gives them the bums. Rusher tells him we're going to close in five minutes. I'll bat Oh. I think I know what happens because I've been in this situation before. Because I'm often dressed like a hobo when I'm going places. Ah, do you have an appointment? This is an appointment only store. So if you'd like to make an appointment on our website and that just gets you out of the store and then hopefully you figure out what it costs before you ever make an appointment.
Speaker 4: So if you walk in with a Jamba juice and a radio station T shirt, yeah, that's probably what happens.
Speaker 1: Screams that you get out peasant. Well, you can't be wasting forty five minutes on somebody who couldn't even conceivably afford your your product. There'd be no point. Oh how many people walk in the store per day? I was there for forty five minutes. I was the only person there the whole time. They might have locked the doors after I was in there, for all I know. I don't know. So when Judy and.
Speaker 2: I were in London, we stayed, Yeah, sure enough, we stayed in Mayfa, which is like super high end expensive shopping district. We're in actually a flat above a store, and there are all these like arab oil shakes with their six woman harems in their beekeeper outfits trailing after them or going into incredibly high dollar shops, including perfume stores in particular. But sure enough, I was curious and there's the Hashton's not far. It's actually right at the edge of Mayfair. I'll bet they do a lot of business with your oil money folks too.
Speaker 1: Probably what an interesting luxury brand, though, isn't it? The Again, the psychology behind it is as interesting to me as anything else. The sure convincing you you're actually on a more comfortable bed along with the this makes me important if you know, you know the thing that Joe was talking about with the brand, so you can, you know, mention it kind of in a whisper to other people. I'd love to do. I'd love it if they did one of those blind tests with you know, your top of the line Sealy Posterropedic or temper pedi or whatever. When you don't have in your mind that this is the bed Drake Slip sleeps on or Jennifer Aniston is another name, they're thrown away. If you didn't know that, would you notice any difference. There's a famous thing that came out a couple of years ago with top violin players playing million dollar strads along with like a five thousand dollars violin and not picking the strat is the best violin. When they didn't know ahead of time. There's a blind test, so we're all it doesn't make you stupid or weak or whatever. We're just all susceptible to that. It's it's almost impossible to get that out of your brain.
Speaker 2: Everybody but me, completely neutral. I'm completely neutral.
Speaker 1: Good for you. That's very handy.
Speaker 2: It's it is very handy. It's saved me a lot of money suits.
Speaker 1: I I walked out of there. They wanted my email address and my phone number and everything like that. And they sent me a couple of proposals on the ninety six thousand dollar bed and the forty eight thousand dollars bed and they break down and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: Proposals I propose, I give you money, you give me the bed.
Speaker 1: I can get back to them if I want to.
Speaker 2: It's more complicated than that, huh.
Speaker 1: I wonder if you got the mattress in not the box spring, because it breaks down like the mattress was like on the ninety six thousand dollars bed that I really liked the way I felt my shoulder didn't turn. So the mattress is like fifty thousand dollars, and then the box spring was like twenty eight thousand dollars, and then there was another like ten thousand dollars stand or something it went on or something whatever, whatever adds up to ninety six. And could you live without all those other pieces? You don't know, Oh my goodness, it was.
Speaker 2: It was a while back as I was climbing the ladder of wealth from the bottom rung to the middle lower portion that I says to myself, if I says, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Speaker 1: Four hundred thousand dollars mattress, like you said earlier, that's like a fifty thousand dollars pen. I mean, you're just into hilariousville at that point.
Speaker 2: Now, on the other hand, of Drake swings by and needs to spend the night. You know you'll feel comfortable at all.
Speaker 1: You can sleep on my couch. Drake, you and your sixteen year old girlfriend. I'm on team Kendrick Lamar. What completely out of my depth? Now? You don't know the Drake Kendrick Lamar battle. Drake is a into underage girls. His favorite line in one of the songs Kendrick Lamar. We were listening to this the other day. Let me guess what key that song is a minor? Oh, that's pretty clear.
Speaker 2: That's a good shot.
Speaker 4: Thank you for joining us for this paid commercial. Tomorrow will join you for Chuck Norris's Total Jim Well, I guess that's it.