Speaker 1: M hm.
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, welcome to another episode of Eating While Broke. I'm your host, Pauline Witt, and today we have very special guest model and founder of the Dolly Mama not Dolly. It wasn't Lama, right, Dolly Mama like mama beer founder. Yeah, dollar Mammy, dollar, Mammy, Dolla Mama, that Tosh.
Speaker 1: That too, that too, Dolly Mommy too. Your Sanchez is in the building. Yes, yes, thank you.
Speaker 2: For being patient while I do extra twists on the dollar.
Speaker 1: Mama. Hey all good, Thanks for being patient for me. I got here a little late.
Speaker 2: You got here late, but you know what, I know You're gonna feed me good.
Speaker 1: Yes, I got it.
Speaker 2: And I love that you prepared a secret sauce prior. It shows that you were definitely your game for this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So what are you making me eat today? So today we're gonna eat something called a dish called Lokri. It's a Dominican dish, staple Dominican dish. It's a one pop meal and it feeds a lot of people.
Speaker 2: It looks like when I saw all the ingredients, I was like, yo, I don't know if she knows it's a broke dish show. And then you were like, oh, it's one pot. And I went through the grocery store and honestly, dish dish, I think I spent like thirty or forty bucks, and I knew you can have multiple servings, Like I got two packs of chicken with it, you know, like the whole nine. So it's definitely affordable, guys, and it's definitely can feed a whole family.
Speaker 1: So what are the ingredients for your dish? So we're gonna do We're gonna have rice, chicken, cilantro, orange, lime, olives, tomato paste, all theive oil. It sounds overwhelming, but it really is. It's just a lot of spices and herbs and add flavor more so. But like the staples are rice and chicken and they're gonna be cooked in one pot together, and then you have you can run through the seasonings just to kind of tell them. So we got cumin, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper, onion powder, adobo and that's it. Yep, yep. And you did the cilantro right, garlic cilantro, yes.
Speaker 2: So well you get your But in the kitchen, I want you to say the name of the dish again.
Speaker 1: You said it with like a nice, nice, nice accent. Yeah, it's called locrio low creo, Lo creo, low creo.
Speaker 2: Yeah I said it right, Yeah. Okay, So take me back to what was going on in the Look Real air.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna start seeing the Chicken Star season, Okay, for sure, I look forward to eating. And then you said, this dish takes about maybe forty minutes to make, but it's a one pot dish. So can people go home and just throw it all in their little you know, those little slow cookers or no, I've never used a slow cooker, but I was just wondering, like, cause.
Speaker 1: No, not even the slow cooker. You literally just put it in a pot. Really in the pot, okay, in the pot you make rice. I have a feeling that I'm gonna go home and try to make this dish. Yes, even though you didn't say what did you say what was in the secret sauce? No? I didn't. So this is so free. Though a lot of people probably know about this, this is a famous Dominican staple in the kitchen. Smell it.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, Oh that's gonna be a lot of spice. Yeah, Oh, you wasn't playing this is gonna be spicy. No, it ain't gonna be spicy.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it smells spicy. It smells spicy, but it's not spicy. Okay, So what's in it? So we got bell peppers, cilantro, onion, garlic, lime, juice. Honestly, it's it's whatever you want to put in it, you know, whatever you want to make. This is your your your base. You're gonna season your meat with this. You can seizon your beans with this. It's just like however you want to make it. You got white onion, red onion? Are you gonna use that whole batch? Not good? So? Can I keep some if it? Yeah, if it's a.
Speaker 2: Great dish, guys, I love to pretend, like when we have good dishes on the show, like in front of guys that like, yo, I just swipped.
Speaker 1: This up, you know, on my own.
Speaker 2: I freestyled it, and I'll be stealing the dishes from eating while broke and I'm like, hey, I mean for sure, been a couple of things I took off this show and definitely made it for like a week straight.
Speaker 1: Use your resources, you know, and be like I made this on my own. I came up with it on my own and know you can't have the ingredients. Oh no, I don't need to say that, okay.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and you have tomato paste, Yeah, I got tomato.
Speaker 1: Tomato paste is gonna go after okay. Okay, So so Frito garlic, We're gonna do a little bit of orange you So you want me to take you back to the time of yeah dish? Yes, okay, you're right. Cooking and talking is hard. It really is.
Speaker 2: I've had guests that literally leave and be like, Yo, that was a lot harder than I thought it was gonna be.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, let me get to it. Okay. So the last time I had this dish, actually it wasn't that long ago because it's good, but my mom used to make it at least once a week. It would be it would be on rotation for the meals for the week, and we were living in a one bedroom apartment in Uptown Manhattan. Oh you're from New York. Yeah, girl from New York. Make that little tell you the Neveicant story earlier. Okay, Okay, so yeah, yeah, I'm from the I'm from I grew up in Dykeman and the Bronx.
Speaker 2: Gonna be homies yes, so okay, so how many siblings did you have?
Speaker 1: Two sisters, two older sisters that they came. So me and my mom migrated to New York City first, and then she sent for my sisters once she found stability. You said, migrated from where Dominican Republic?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, so you migrate here and then she sends for the two other sisters. So it's just four women with yeah, women living in a house.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, and my stepdad was around for a bit. Yeah, for a bed, a one bedroom, so we were sleeping in the living room. So we had a bed in the living room and the couch and stuff. So it's just like, you know, we gotta make it work.
Speaker 2: And it's tough in New York because, like they're really small apartments unless you got like one of the old school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're really small apartments. And yeah, we were a bit crowded, you know, I didn't have my own space. But we were obviously grateful, you know, but it was definitely difficult to for my mother, especially to navigate coming too another country, not learning not knowing the language. You know. My stepdad was around for a bit, but did he move from No, she met him out in New York. Yeah, oh after Yeah, so she's like super independent woman. Yeah no, my mom my mom already was. She's the only one out of all her siblings. I came to the United States and then her her sister's coming soon as well. But she made that leap first, and she wanted to give us a higher education, and she wanted to give us more than what she had. She came from a really small like farm in the Mindican Republic. And was she young mom or older mom? My mom? So, my mom had my oldest sister at nineteen, then she had me. I know that she had me like twenty seven, okay, okay, oh so there's an age spread. But she moved. So she moved to the to New.
Speaker 2: York at the age of probably around twenty seven or thirty or how i'll yeah, okay, so she's actually thirty like around that. I told she your mom's your mom's a power house. Yeah, because it's a little bit of a gangster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's super gangster. Yeah she sounds gangster.
Speaker 2: That's a that's a real independent move a woman by herself with kids. Okay, so now I see, I see where the the entrepreneurs coming.
Speaker 1: In Okay, So you grew up with your mom and uh in New York. Yeah, what's the next play from there that I want to slowly land in the Dali Lama lage. Okay, Dolly Mama. Okay, so boom, I saw boom. I grew up in New York and the Bronx. So let me just cut to the chase. I had a daughter at fifteen. Oh wow, Yeah, so I got pregnant when I was fourteen. I had my daughter at fifteen. Definitely was a decision that I wanted to make, you know, at first, it was really crazy. I didn't want my mom to know. I was about to say, like, how did your mom take that news? Not?
Speaker 2: Well, did she whoop your book? Because I have a I have a Jamaican mom, like I would have like, yeah, that's the that's the for sure, Like I have to run away from home because I ran it?
Speaker 1: Did you actually run away hours? Because they found me? But I actually did before you told her the news? Okay, so she damn I got I really tell the story. Got one hour? Okay. So she found out I was pregnant because she looked through my book bag and found my planned parenthood note that said I have an abortion scheduled, so I was going to go through with it and everything because I was like, my mom's gonna murder. I wouldn't. I would have done this exact thing. I would have been had to miss school that day so I could go handle that business. And she went in my book bag out of like I call that divine into because that child, my daughter, saved my life. But we'll get to that. But she came in and was like, out of all days, never looked at my back, wanted to look through my book back that day in front of you, Yeah, in front of you. Oh, I would have just ran. I would have booked it. That is that the day you ran away? Yeah, shebed the letter and I, yeah, I would have looked it. I'm with you. I would have been like the fear of God would have I'm dead. I'm dead. So yeah, I ran away. But then obviously I was found. It's only so far I can go. We were like hiding at some I wanted me and my baby. Daddy was like hiding out one of his friend's house and he's like, Yo, my mom's about to come home from work. You gotta go. I'm like, fuck. We didn't think this through bad? No, but yeah, so I had I decided. You know, my mom was like, no, you're gonna not have this kid, Like we're gonna go to this appointment, You're not gonna have this child. And you know, I was like, fuck, I gotta do what my mama say, Like, you know, I already messed up pretty bad, so I got to do what she says. I kind of had between my pointment, between that moment and the day of the appointment, I had some thoughts and a change of heart and I was like I actually don't want to I want to have this baby. Like am you told it? No? I had not. I was telling myself, I'm like, wait, I want to have this baby. So as I was sitting the appointment came, you know, she came with me. My sister came as well, and I was sitting in the waiting room and she was like outside and I was like, I can't go through with it. And I was like what is she going to do to me? Like what's the worst so she can do? She really don't care on me, Like I was like what is Like I cannot I need to have my baby. So I like walked out and I said I'm not going to do it, and I stood on baby. But wait, you said it outside in public? No? Y, yeah, in the waiting room. Yeah, you didn't do it in the.
Speaker 2: Four the four corners of that apartment, because I'm sure we would not be having this right now.
Speaker 1: So you tell her? What does she say? She was no? She a scene breaks out at the plant parenthound, you know, and she's just like, how can you guys are love She's a child and they're like, well, you know, it's her body and it's her choice. That's the law here. You know that don't fly in the Caribbean. But I'm telling you I would have never lived to see another day. I would have had to run away.
Speaker 2: I love this story, by the way. It just like makes me love you. So it's such a good story. So so you So she does she she embarrasses you in the in the and you still stick through to it.
Speaker 1: No, I stand on business. Okay, I'm like, nope, I'm having it. And you know, she loses it and you know the following weeks after that, how was your baby daddy taking the news too? Oh? He he swore up and down. He was like, that was my baby? You ain't wanna come, my baby. I'm like, right, yeah, I was fifteen, he was sixteen or something. Guys were young and young in love, young and in love, and it was just like okay, and then yeah, but the weeks after that were really hard for me, but more for my mom. I mean, I don't know for who more honestly, but I just could hear my mother crying through like the walls, and you know, we've talked about it now looking back, and you know, I learned that like she had she got an antidepressant because of that, she was on anti depressants for like twenty years for that. Because of that or that like was like the breaking point for her. I think she was like my mom was a single mom, struggling and stuff, so like in general that yeah, she didn't want that. She really tried to protect me. It wasn't really so much like she was being an ass hole mom, Like she just was really trying her best to stick to the plan. You know, I want my daughters to just like not get distracted and not get you know, but sometimes I just feel like when you shelter your kids too much, it tends to make them want to like break out and do more because it's like, oh, this is my only opportunity the house do it all. But like I know, it's ridiculous obviously like that that thought. Girlfriend, Like, no, I saw that, Like they were kids.
Speaker 2: So anytime I knew kids that like their parents like restricted them to the max. The second they got loose, they went zero to one hundred. And it was just like it just it did the complete opposite.
Speaker 1: And they had them watched but that ten minutes they weren't. Yeah, it's literally that. It's like and the law of energy. Love of the way the universal energy works, like too much on something, it's just gonna explode.
Speaker 2: And so during the pregnancy, So I had best friends in school that you know had kids in high school. How did your whole like high school atmosphere, teachers, and how was your mom treating you during the pregnancy.
Speaker 1: Not trying to stir up some beet between you and your mom? You know what I'm saying. I get it if you'd be like I'm leading it you know. No, No, no, I feel like I've worked through all this in therapy. No. But so high school was very very interesting. I was a freshman, so I was definitely a baby. You know I got. I definitely got a lot of looks from a lot of teachers. I had some teachers that were really supportive, Like I had a math teacher that he had a cushion for me for the chair, like ready for me, and like you know, and then I had obviously not so many I mean, like displeasing looks like how of you know, yeah, like damn you know, And you know, I had like people tell me like, okay, so are you gonna do? Like are you gonna even graduate on time? Like you're not, you know, you're going to be a statistic like all these other girls who get pregnant. You know, you're from the Bronx. You don't have too many opportunities or whatever the case. So for me, I took that as a like challenge.
Speaker 2: Accepted, like I'm approving, right, And that's why you said.
Speaker 1: That earlier, because like that for me is like challenge accepted. You know, I'm about to show show y'all, and you know, and and that's exactly what what I did, you know. I mean, I graduated on time. After I had my daughter, I went straight to school, Like I think I took off like two weeks maybe or like three weeks and like I went back to school. Did your mom make you make a promise that you were like in a complete school or something during it, or she didn't make me make a promise, you know, Like my mom didn't really, I mean obviously she was like I just want you to do, like which the right thing. And she once she found out like the gender, she like warmed up a bit and she was like, oh, it's a girl. Like we weren't talking for months, and then when I it was the day of my appointment for my ultrasound, she was like, oh, did you find out the gender? And I was like yeah, and she's like what is it? And then I was like, oh my gosh, she's curious, Like it made me really happy. And then she was like, oh, it's a girl, and then forget about it. Since then, she like come home from work with baby clothes and she just got mad excited for this child. I love that. I love that because I honestly I was scared for you. I was genuinely like I would have been terrified. No, honestly, it was terrifying. It was it was terrifying. It was really difficult, and then like okay, to top it all, off. Three months later, my other sister comes out pregnant. So she has two teen daughters. Oh she's pregnant. Oh she she You guys given your money. Hell, yeah, you guys, you're giving her my poor mother. Literally, I just say my poor mother. I will say this though, that that's a strong character, that's a unique character.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, I'm deathly afraid of my mom, like straight up, like my mom could give me a look and I'll run right now at forty. But I think that takes a lot of guts to stand in that truth of that moment, like I want to keep the baby and like see death on the other side of the door, because I know as like having.
Speaker 1: An immigrant mom, like.
Speaker 2: Everyone Jamaican, Puerto Rican, Dominican can relate like, yeah, you're not gonna live.
Speaker 1: That takes a lot of courage to stand on that. So like, what did you say you about your business? What'd you say? I stood on business? You stood on business. You definitely stood on business. So then your sister saw you stand on business. It was like I'm gonna stand on business too. No, literally, like that was like I felt like that was the thought process. Like she was like, wait a minute if Yady got away with it. It was like literally something like that. And then my mom at that point, you were like, girl, she threw She just was like like she was just like, yeah, you guys are stressing her.
Speaker 2: Und It's just it was just too much. So two out of three, yeah, okay, the third one didn't do it.
Speaker 1: The third one no, but the third one had her own own set of issues. She she just passed away in December. I'm sorry, and you know she she my sister, my oldest, had a really hard life. She struggled with her mental health. She was like diagnosed pretty late with bipolar disorder. Like you know, women get diagnosed with mental health disorders such as like ADHD bipolar really late in life. They just kind of say, oh, she's the trouble maker. Like she's just the trouble maker. She's she's a hot head or like whatever, and like usually those symptoms go go what do you call it unnoticed or just like swept on the rug, you know. So yeah, she you know, struggled with her weight as well. As a teen, she was pretty obese and then she had like the surgery and like but then she got addicted to drugs and alcohol, and then well that's not good for them if she if she had bipolar exactly, it was if she couldn't you know, people who have bipolar, so you cannot participate in those things. You know, you can't even smoke weed low key. Yeah. So and that was going undetected for that whole time. Yeah, yeah, okay, yeah yeah. So then yeah, she passed away an overdose this past December, and since then, I definitely have had to be like step up and be the matriarch of my family, be the the person who takes care of it, looks after my mother. And it's isn't that crazy how I'm the I'm the baby, I'm the youngest. Wow, yeah, you know, but that was your oldest, right, Yeah, that's my oldest. Yeah, and then I imagine your mom took it really hard. Yeah, it's it's it's it's been hard. I mean it's been hard. It's been hard for you know, grief doesn't go away, like you just learned to live with it and it becomes something else. I think over time, because there's a moment I mean it's fresh, Like there's still moments where I like, I'll listen to a song that she liked, and then I'll like start fucking crying in the car while I'm driving, and shit, you know, just thinking and what I think about the most really is like what a hard life she had. More than anything else, it just makes me feel so like bad. You know. Yeah, I was talking with Van Laythan.
Speaker 2: I was talking to him about trauma, because what that's that's a trum Like everyone that's around that situation that happened to your sister is that's a that's a trauma, right, And I was asking him like do people can people grow get like, can you survive trauma? And he goes he said something really interesting. He's like, you know how the rings are in a tree. He's like, they don't go anywhere. The tree can still grow over it. He's like, but that trauma still lives there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's like when you say you hear that song, well, I mean it's still recent, but I'm just saying, like, I feel like kind of just resonating with what you said in regards to like grief being a while, Like that's a very traumatic like that's a very traumatic experience you have, so like just learning to how to kind of be a tree and grow around the ring, but knowing that that ring is like probably not going.
Speaker 1: To go it anywhere, right, Yeah, yeah, exactly, And you know it's just been then my other sister, I'm a very big wellness advocate. We're jumping a little bit, but you know, I've found a Dolly mama because of just my upbringing. So my other sister who had the who she's the middle child, she has schizophrenia. She developed schizophrenia later in her life, in her late twenties, and she's been struggling with also adapting to that. And I literally just had to help, you know, get her proper care and stuff. And so that's two sisters down.
Speaker 2: And where did where in this story did you go? Because you're living in New York right and then yeah, wait wait, I don't want to skip too much around. So you're living in New York because now it's you're you, You became the matriarch. It sounds like later later now all right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Now and your your where does your mom live now? She's back in New York? Still? Okay? Yeah, all right, take me back to how you end up here? For sure? So high school graduated, stand on business, stood on business. I've talked about this before through my cooking series on on Instagram. But my the father of my daughter, my baby father, also unfortunately got addicted to drugs as well after my daughter was a shoes too, and you know the street drug angel does, right, Yeah, oh that's a dangerous one. That's a bad one. Yeah, So it really slowed down his development and so he just hasn't hasn't been able to bounce back since. So when that happened, I had to That's when it clicked for me like oh shit, like I'm doing this ship like on my own Loki, you know what I mean. And then that hasn't been tough because yeah, yeah, So then I had prom so prom came around that this is pivotal prom came around. I couldn't afford prom, you know they make you buy these packages and ship and all that stuff. I afford it, and I was kind of dipping into music videos at that time. I had did my first music video when I was seventeen and I was a junior in high school, right, so it was like a pretty big deal was on TV and stuff. So everybody was like, oh my god, Like it was just like the teen mom who's like also a video it's just like, what is going on? It's a lot.
Speaker 2: But hey, hey, hey hey the girls was probably hating on you'd amazing.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I do a baby boy sometimes that was awkward. I like it, okay, so you yeah, I like it. So what happens at the problem when you realize you can't afford it? Okay, here we go. Okay, So I have met this this guy who did like bts for music videos, who was also like knew a lot of dancers strippers. So I was like, yo, I need to make some money real quick. Can you take me to the strip club so I can make some money for prom? Oh? You trying to get your prom and murder? You got it?
Speaker 2: I was gonna kill you.
Speaker 1: Let's balls. What is going on with this girl? Okay? No, I get it though. I would I ain't gonna lie.
Speaker 2: If I look like you and had the body that you had, I would have been like for sure, and I need to make some money.
Speaker 1: I would have done the same, not no no lies. Yeah okay. So and you had a baby too, so yeah, so I was like he was like yeah. I was like yeah, and he was like okay, come on. So he took me to some hole in the wall and Hunt's Point, right, oh, Ship, I didn't measure this hold on, y'all. See, this is why I'm gonna use your hilarious use it cook. This story is just se so Juste's story. I'm gonna have to write a book. You have to, yo. This story sounds really good.
Speaker 2: By the way, there's like I'm like, yo, I can't and it's crazy because I can't, like miss your I have to remember the little milestones that you say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but all right, so you go to the strip. How was this guy that's like helping you out? Old dude man got out of jail, and Ship lives in the projects telling your hotels. So so he's like yeah, yeah, So he takes me to this like strip club, hold in the warm Hunts Point in the Bronx. You know, Hunt's Point. Hunts Point is not good. I don't need to be a hunts Point. Yeah. Yeah, So I'm like, let's do it, and he takes me and he's like, yo, Like it literally was like a movie looking back on it now, but I was in it. So when you're in it, you're not looking at it like your old dangerous situation. So he was like Yo, this's my little sis, like, you know, trying some money, like make sure you look after her, So like, come on, make sure you look after her. And I was like and then I just like went on stage and I was like doing my little bullshit dance because I definitely did not know how to pull the Yeah, and I made like two hundred three hundred dollars that night or something like that. Yeah, money for a teenager. Hell. So I was like, when I come back, I did I don't know what I want to say. Yeah. So at the time I was working at Children's Place retail. Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Definitely would have never been back. My mom would be like, where is she at? You lucky the rings weren't around, you know where you put the GPS dragging?
Speaker 1: Oh my god. But listen, my mom ended up finding out later and she just laughed because at this point I just feel like she was just like, Yo, you're nuts, bro, Like you know, she's She's like, I'm laughing because I'm about to kill you, like you seconds second, I'm sad. No, But yeah, I ended up going back, and I actually was a stripper for like two years. I did it after high school. I continued to but then at the time at the same time simultaneously, and your mom found out how long into the stripping, oh, maybe like a year, and she kind of like found the outfits in my in my closet, Like, you know.
Speaker 2: You're not good at hiding, You're terrible. I would have hit that shit in the back of a freezer or something.
Speaker 1: So she found it. I was just like, what does that mean. She's like, you're poll dancing. I was like, yeah, earned some extra cash, and she was just like, oh my goodness. And then she mentioned college. She was like, you need to go to college. And then I'm just curious.
Speaker 2: It sounds like drugs were very relevant and probably popular if you're even if your baby daddy starts doing angel.
Speaker 1: So I'm curious, like what stopped you or did you ever partake in the drugs? See? So I not definitely not that stuff, you know what I mean. I love weed, okay, okay, but but even in the strip clubs like that, Yeah, no, no, it is, it is. It is. And I actually didn't because I was scared because of what I saw it due to my baby daddy because he was tweaking, you know, and my sister, my older sister, you know what I mean. I was. I just was scared to like not be in control, so I just didn't really want to participate. So I actually was pretty good about that. Yeah, they scared you straight pretty much. Yeah. I just would drink though. I would drink a little bit to just kind of take the edge off, which is also just very unhealthy obviously, you know what I mean. But you were like extremely stressed, like imagine a fifteen year old or seventeen or seventeen year old ege eighteen. Now did you end up going to prom by the way I did? Okay? Good? You stand on business, okay, mad respect, But you're also from New York, so I'm not. Yeah, okay. And it's so funny because when you were calling a nine one seven for social reason, I did not think you were a New Yorker. And then the second you said it, I said her number was nine one seven. Okay, So you so your.
Speaker 2: Mom just kind of rolls with the punches like at this point, I can't control her, so right, okay, right, And I'm like, and you're paying the bills at this point because you really making money? Yeah, yeah, I was looking after my daughter and I was like putting down, you know, So okay, so what we're what's next to?
Speaker 1: So much?
Speaker 2: So you go, you you do two years of the stripping and your taking care of business. Okay, you graduated and then graduate high school.
Speaker 1: Then I at this point two years then I'm deep in as well in the music video I Guess World. Then did a few music videos, and I had a platform on Twitter. That was when Twitter first came out. So that's when like the whole having an audience, having a following became a thing. Yeah, and natural way of things. People started like following me a lot because they kept seeing that girl in the videos. Hence now the popularity from them that yeah, okay, okay, what videos were you in? So I throcking that thing? The dream I did like French Montana was the biggest one, the shock collar one. What's the one that I think everybody knows me from the most. Okay. And then when you were doing those, how did that impact you in any way good or bad? Like the bed like you know, if you had to be look, I mean honestly, I just like I realized that, you know, women are just so undervalued, mistreated, treated as commodities, as objects, you know, and although yeah, I was making money from my looks. I felt like I had so much more to share, so much more to talk about, so much more, Like this was just me trying to make some money on the side. Like I wasn't like I'm gonna be the world's best video box and it was just really like I was trying to make some dough on the side, you know, and everybody was like you're you're super thick and Kurby like you should do it. And obviously those women I grew up looking at music videos. I was like, damn, one day, I want to be like her, like, you know. So it was it was very cool when I was in it. It was it was fun, you know, I got to travel. But then there was also that side of it that I just felt like just super dismissed and pushed under the rug and not not seeing that valued. Yeah. Yeah, I did.
Speaker 2: H When I first moved to LA, I did, like soul trained, God, please God, I hope I shouldn't have even confessed this, and I did. I think it was like fifty cents in the club and I just and I did, like I think Eric Sherman did the Redman a song, and uh, but Anyways, what I had seen in the industry was like they were just definitely predators.
Speaker 1: It was just it was a predator chilled.
Speaker 2: You just couldn't trust for anybody really, and it's it's like literally it was like I walked in one door and was like I'm walking out the other because the dudes were just so obnoxious and it wasn't ever like the main talent. It was like whatever whoever, whatever guy was in the background affiliated with the main.
Speaker 1: Yes, trying to get trying to get you. I definitely had my share of that when I was in it. Just men that were like, oh, like you're trying to be in this news video and I'm like, bro, it's never that deep, Like, never that deep. Yeah, it was never that deep. Like you know, I will say it, I was definitely prayed on, that's the word. But I will say that like I was. I wasn't I wasn't down. Yeah. Well, I think too.
Speaker 2: If you've been approached a million one time, I think it's easier to say no, right, you'd be like, Okay, let's see this this, what's your what's your I was thinking about this the other day, like I've been with the Christian guy the bad boy, the older guy, the younger guy. And I was like, yo, all of them are just the same guy, just dressed in different on the outfits.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gets to a more where it's just like now I just need reference checks. Give me your three ex girlfriend's numbers, you know right, I will go from there. So after this, after the is this when you start update?
Speaker 1: Do you want an update on the dish? I'm about to cover it. Yeah, I saw you put bullion in it, cilantro. Yeah, give me the update. It looks really delicious by the Okay, so right now the rice has soaked up the water. The chicken is pretty much cooked, because now it's just the last bit of it of the cooking when the rice cooks with it. If that makes sense? Am I speaking English? Sometimes I don't even know if I'm talking English. But yeah, now I'm gonna cover it. I put some cilantro in it, and we're gonna lower the fire. I was gonna say that fires up high. Yeah, we're gonna lower the fire. I'm just waiting for the I got nervous and that plastic flew over to that electric gun. All right. I just don't want the rice to car I feel like, you know what, I wonder if do Puerto Ricans make this dish? Yeah? I feel like I've had this at my homegirl, I'm sure you have.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm genuinely like, I wonder how spicy it's gonna be because I smelled that it's not spicy at all. I'm gonna try it. It looks good, it looks like I'm gonna get leftovers. Yeah, okay, all right, So is this at this point? Are you still you needed a neighbor and look at you, you totally needed I'm.
Speaker 1: So glad because I was gonna ruin my fick. God that so you at this point, you're still in New York doing all of this stuff. Yes, I'm still in New York doing all this stuff. You know. Are you still with your baby daddy during all of this? No? No, no, I Me and my baby daddy were done when I was a two. Okay, around that time, we I had ended it because it was definitely like just unhealthy and it wasn't it wasn't even safe anymore, and it was just like, yeah, no, you know, we had a plan and like you ain't stick to the plan. Bro, Yeah, he wasn't on business. Wasn't standing on business. That's my term for today. I stay on business.
Speaker 2: Change my name in all your phones if you have my number, that I stand on business.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I like that. I do that too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So now you're a single mom, you're totally now are you still living with your mom? Are you guys all like sticking together as one solid team?
Speaker 1: Yes. So my mother but being the amazing mom that she is, she once that she saw like obviously she's gonna have grandkids. She I don't know how she did it, but she always surprises me. Moves into like a bigger apartment so that we each have her I love her. I love her, Okay, I love her. She moves to a big apartment where we each have our own room so that we could each have our room with our kid. Awesome. Yeah. So and then my oldest sister had her room, she had a room, and then you know, she was just such a great grand She's such a great grandmother and just been like so supportive and yeah. So during that time, we are I'm in New York and I'm still I'm living with my mom. Still I move out when I'm like our own twenty twenty one to my own place, still very young, like you were really standing on business, you were focused. Yeah, I like I was forced to grow up so fast because of the responsibilities with my child and around me. Like I feel like I absorbed everything, and I like I watched you know, I never meant to like cause my mom any harm by having this child. This was just something I wanted to do.
Speaker 2: But you were also a child making a yeah, yeah exactly, like looking back to you, well, I don't want to ask that question because now you have your the skipped you know that question.
Speaker 1: No mine mine, No. When it came out, it is really weird.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying like, because you know, looking back, like I was drunking with you earlier, Like you know, they don't they don't tell you all the non the realities of becoming a mom.
Speaker 1: You know, you kind of have this vision of like the what they show you in the movies. I'm like, but they don't. They don't. They don't showcase that fine break.
Speaker 2: So like looking back, the reason why I was retracting a question is because now obviously I have a daughter too. It's like once the you know you love your child, obviously you would never take it back, but like you just you really realize, like you didn't really know all what was.
Speaker 1: Entailed, wasn't sign of course, and it comes out. It comes out later on and bits and pieces as you as a child starts getting older. You know, I'm like, damn, Like for a long time, A dealt with the guilt of Beau I didn't grow up with a father, and I'm like, damn, I didn't give my daughter that. Fuck I was selfish, you know. I dealt with that. But you know I've healed from that, and you know those things are not mine to control. But you know, yeah, it comes out and then you think, damn, I didn't think this through. It's not just all like changing diapers and dressing her up like a little doll. You know, it's it's a lot more work. You're raising an actual human being to be a decent human in this world. Yeah, and that takes a lot of work because of all the outside influences that we have to be up against as parents.
Speaker 2: You know, I always tell people the second you walk out your front door, you're being sold to, whether it's the car you drive, the candy, the chips at the aisle, McDonald's, whatever, billboard, sex, whatever, drugs, alcohol. The second you step outside of those four walls, everyone's like, give me some of your money.
Speaker 1: And so as a parent, could you imagine you're like, eat this home cooked meal, stay in the house.
Speaker 2: And they're not with you when you're getting sold outside all the time. So yeah, it's a lot of.
Speaker 1: It's a lot. It's a lot, a lot, And yeah, I definitely there were times where I felt really lost. There were times where I missed a lot, you know, from my kid as well. Because I was traveling. I started hosting clubs. This was when Instagram then started popping off and then the follow you know, the following count and all that stuff started to matter. And from that and the music video of the French Montana, I was able to travel, you know, all of the United States and even to the UK because they wanted to meet the girl from the music video. It was dope. It was like damn, wow, So they're paying you to just be in clubs. Yeah, and this was this was an error. Do you know I remember this. I remember when people hosting clubs. I remember that they still do that kind of they're still not as much, but yeah, yeah, they do it. Yeah, but are you drinking at this time too? Do you think that like you were starting to because that's a that's a weird space you're in too, right, Yeah, Like I didn't develop an addiction to alcohol, but like, yeah, at these things, you're you're drinking. Yeah, you're at the club, you having a drink too? Does it feel like work as you're doing it? Yeah? Or no? You know? Young? Yeah, I was young, and there were moments where I had to check myself and be like, girl, like, be grateful that you get you're making a living this way because a lot of people work a lot harder, you know what I'm saying. But there were moments where I would be a bit ungrateful of the situation or whatever. But it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: And did you feel now some women like it looks like you're just naturally you know, like fat goes and wherever. Everybody's different where the fat goes. But did you feel precious to maintain a certain level of beauty?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes, yeah, we can touch on this. So yeah, girl, when I was in the strip club, the girls that were making a lot of money had the big butt, smallways ratio situation, I definitely always had a nice figure, but I went and got as shots back in the day, yes, and then I got them removed back in twenty sixteen for my health that had gotten a breast augmentation as well. And all of this was to appease the male gaze and to make more money from the mail gaze. You know it was it never really felt like anything was done for me at that time, and then I had like my awakening. Yeah, but the.
Speaker 2: But it's I know you're saying it's for the male gates, but I mean technically, like I've only been with you for a little bit, but you scream entrepreneur like you you are definitely one hundred percent entrepreneur. So it's like you're in this industry where you're looking over and you're like, well, the product is making more money over here, so is it like do you think it was mail gaze or more like, okay, if this is just a business move, but maybe you don't realize, like how what the fine print of the negatives?
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly, And that's exactly how I looked at it, Like I was like, oh, the money is over here that you know, I'm trying to make the best money move. So definitely looked at it like that, but then you don't really realize what goes behind you know, closed doors, which is just like a lot of times women doing drugs in the locker room. Yeah, or I definitely you know this, This happened to me twice where I got drugged. Oh wow, yeah, yeah, that's got to be like extreme scary. Yeah. For the first time, I was able to make it home, thank god, but it's very scary out there for real, it was. It was really scary. The second time. It was actually by a doctor who drugged me. I went on a date, you know that that drug that.
Speaker 2: Did they Yeah, where you wake up and you don't remember were you able to like uh, like what do you call it, like turnament or anything? Or do you or did you go through the phase. I'm gonna just say this just from speaking from a woman's standpoint of like, well, if I hadn't put myself in this position, then you know, it's like almost like it's my fault that it happened. Of course I went through the Okay, Yeah, I definitely did go through all of that, Like it's my fault for putting myself in this position. But also I was like I was like literally on a date, like yeah, I had an.
Speaker 1: Actual restaurant, you know. And then from then on shit went less like I don't even you know, yeah, but yeah I thought about it being like my fall and stuff, and I didn't. I didn't press charges, right, Yeah, a lot of women do that, a lot of women.
Speaker 2: I got to a point in my twenties where I only did breakfast in lunch dates because guy's had so many different games of like, well we went to dinner and like you're a tea, you're teasing me or whatever. And I was like, yo, if I could reduce any of these like extra stupid ass pressures like and I remember like I would, then I started creeping up just more to breakfast, and dudes would be like breakfast, click fuck you. Like, but it just got to the point where it's just like I'm sick of battling myself over something you're doing. You know, I've been in a situation where you're saying no to a guy and a guy's like no, and you're like, well we're gonna am I gonna end up like a scene on the movies, like well you know what I'm saying, Like it's crazy out there, and then you just start to think, I wouldn't have if I wouldn't have put myself in this situation. Really it's not the case. But I just remember when I was younger, I would always go, Okay, maybe I could try something different, but like you said, a date, a normal setting, you don't think those things happen.
Speaker 1: And then also, you know, you you're a doctor's fair, he's a doctor. You know.
Speaker 2: It's just like, actually happened to a girlfriend of mine, like a couple of years ago, young beautiful girl, influencer, similar situation. Hers ended pretty bad. It's scary, and it took a lot of courage for her to come out and like address it and you know, and still traumatize from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, It's definitely made me just I just didn't want to be a part of the night life world anymore, and I wanted to do other things, and I just wasn't sure what, you know, at the time, I was twenty one. This is when I was done with the strip club and hosting in videos videos. Video hosting kind of went on still because you know, the money came, I had to. But around this time I started to I guess go back to the things that brought me joy as a teen and as a child, and I wanted to do something more for me as opposed to just like money. I think that was like what my thought process was at the time. And also, oh, I was just like online so terribly. I was suicidal, uh you know after the when I got the breast augmentation a year later, I had like complications with it and I needed to get them removed, and I just was like I remember being in my like back in my mom's house because she had to take care of me, and I'm just thinking, like what the fuck, like yo, like this is not it, Like none of this is it, and I want out, and I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but I want out, you know. And I think I had like a you know when people say you had an awakening, so like after that, I was like I had an awakening, and but it was hard. I was like also battling with my mental health. I had severe panic attacks anxiety. I think probably definitely was PTSD for sure, but all throughout my twenties I had some really bad panic attacks.
Speaker 2: Do you mind describing like what that panic attack felt like? Just for people that don't even know if they're experiencing.
Speaker 1: So for me, it felt like I had this fear that I was gonna lose my mind because like I was in my head and like you know, when you're in your head, you're like you're almost like analyzing each and every thought that comes into your mind, and you're and I don't know, it drives me insane, you know what I'm saying, Like when you're in your head, so mutch, I don't know. I mean I do that all the time. I'd be, like.
Speaker 2: I was telling Jared earlier, I'm like, Yo, people don't need to tell me negative things about me.
Speaker 1: I do that very good job all by myself. You ain't gonta point out that, right, I'm the first one, like, I'll do it. But I'm curious.
Speaker 2: Your sisters had struggled with a little bit of meountal health. Were did that also like make what you were going through worse? Because or was that around the time when you had discovered like maybe one had bipolar, one had schizophrenia, and then you start to be in your head a little bit more exactly?
Speaker 1: Okay, this was at that time with the panic attacks. Yeah, my sister had had her mental breakdown and then my other Yeah, so I was like, also, damn, like my sister's like, that's gonna happen to me. Well yeah, so I was like I would have been scared. Scared. Yeah, And it really stemmed from just a really awful experience that I had at the emergency room in the hospital. Another reason why I started alling Mama and things like that, which will let me tell you something. I'm seeing it, I'm seeing and I love hearing it because okay, go ahead. So yeah, my panic attacks stemmed from a really horrible experience I had in the emergency room in the hospital in the Bronx. I had come from a really long flight in London and might have really bad back problems. I have a hip and pinchment syndrome, and my back was killing me. Oh Like I was in so much pain, like from just sitting on the plane and stuff like you don't really get comfortable on the plane, you know. So I was like, Damn, I think I'm gonna have to go to the er. I'm so much pain. Like I don't take narcotics or like perks or anything like that, but I was like, I think I need something really strong So I went in there and I was telling them about my pain and like my day and like what I had gone through, and you know, I told them I said I need something really strong. So they see a brown woman asking for pain meds, first thing they think is she's an addict. Yeah, so instead of giving me what I know is okay for my body, they gave me a concoction of medication and sent me home. And then I was hallucinating. I thought you were going to say, like, baby Chile, No, no, they gave me me some shit, gave me some pill. I don't know what the fuck sent me home? Girl, I was hallucinating. I was not myself. I was having a psychosis episode. Yeah, and I had to go back to the emergency. I remember being at my mom's house and just like my daughter was coming up to me and like this was like after the hospital, and I was just like like I just didn't even reco Like it's like I didn't even know who she was. It was so weird. So then I went back to the hospital. Anybody, Yeah, I went back to the hospital and I was like, yo, what the fuck is wrong with me? Like what is going on? And they were like I had to explain to them that the day the night before, I was here for pain and they gave me. I don't know what they gave me, but they need to look at what they gave me. So there was nothing I could do but wait, waited out and it was the most awful experience of my entire life that would have Yeah. Yeah, so so that like even more yeah and I and at that time, I was dating my ex and he he was on the phone with me the entire time in the hospital, like he had to shoot a music video during her time he was shooting a music video. Well, I had to be being on the phone with me for me to be able to like be okay, wow. Yeah. It was really bad. And then my panic attacks, and it got even worse from that because I thought that I guess I would never be the same again. Yeah, or fear or you're possibly thinking, like.
Speaker 2: Will I ever end up in it even though you knew it was the drug, you don't know, you don't really know, no, so you're like, what could possibly bring that on again?
Speaker 1: Exactly? So I was just too weak and girls so hard. Like I just remember one of the panic attacks that stand out the most. I was with my daughter and we were gonna go. I wanted to leave the house. I was like, I need to leave the house, but you know, I ran the risk of having a panic attack, but I was like, I just need to leave the house. So we went shopping. I took her to Madison Avenue and like, we went shopping. But when I got out of the train, I had to go inside this cafe Dina and De Luca for a minute to collect myself because I was so dishoveled. Wow, And you know, my daughter was just like Mommy, oh, what are we doing? And I'm just like I just need a second. And it was just like wow, Like that was just that was a really hard moment for sure.
Speaker 2: And I can only imagine so now that we're so we're still in New York, when do you pivot? Because I see you in LA now, so I'm like, when do you pivot to LA and when, like, how do we get closer to wellness?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's do it, which I love talking about as of late.
Speaker 2: So I think it was kind of just a backtrack. It was very mature of you at the age of like twenty one or twenty two to say like like forget the money, like you, it's to acknowledge your actual feelings inside. Yeah, I thought that was like a very much that was mature for a twenty twenty one year old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. I looking back on it, Yeah, I think I feel like that too. I think that was very mature of me to take notice of that and be like, I want to do something that comes from the heart, right, Yeah, it is very muchure. Yeah. But I was dating so La. So. I was dating my ex who his name is Absol So a lot of people know about him, but he's he was my ex. We were dating for five for like five years at the time when I moved to La. So I moved to La with my daughter and we moved in together like a little family. So you moved. That's how I got to l A Okay, and then sorry, I'm like blanking out a little bit with my story. I got to l A. Sorry. I'm like, you know what it is because we're really hungry today. Ready, let's check, Like my stomach is over here, like yo, feed me it is. Thank god, I'm starving. Sorry, I like lost because they're hungry. The food smells so good. It's so much to recount. Okay, so I feel like this is done good? Do you want to serve me first? Are you sure I got you? Okay? So I come to LA and it was very hard to adjust. Yeah, because La compared to New York.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. I would write like little sad poems every day when I it was it was like the eminem of just sad, depressing lacks compared to New York. The food is terrible, the people are different.
Speaker 1: It was hard to adjust, but you know, it worked out. But then I was having issues with my partner Max.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was when you're going through issues with your partner and your kid is involved, is that like at extra pressure?
Speaker 1: I'm just randomly curious, genuinely curious. Yeah, because you you know, you have you know your child is watching, so you just want to make sure that you know you're setting an example for your kids. So it does add extra pressure. And you know, again, like we had a long distance relationship and I didn't really you don't really get to know somebody very well until you're like living with them, you know what I'm saying. But he which he has spoken about, so I feel more comfortable talking about and now because he's he already talked about it through his music and stuff, and he is still a really dear friend of mine and I love him so much. But it was like a really hard period living with somebody who was severely depressed and also was struggling with drug addiction. And at that point in my life, I went to therapy and I said, that was your first time going to therapy? And I said, why do I keep attracting this in my life? Like? Why do I keep attracting people that that are broken? And it's because like I'm also broken? Right? Is that what you learned in therapy? That is no reason? No, no, no, not that I'm broke, not literally like you broken. No no, no, I'm really curious. I'm just not. No, But yeah, because I wonder that same shit, I track the same exact rson because a reflection of us. Yeah, everyone in our lives is a reflection. It's a mirror, so something inside of us. Right, So I'm like why so what it is like my savior complex? Like I just want to save everybody and shit, okay, but I don't. I don't take care of myself. I'm doing that better now, but but I wasn't taking care of myself. You know what I'm saying. That was really like the book of it. Yeah, that when Dali Mama enters the picture, Dalli Mama enters the picture twenty twenty. Well, the nickname. I've had the nickname though since I was like twenty one years old, and it was my ex who gave it to me because he came to my house. He saw the Buddha, he saw all my little wellness stuff, he saw my quotes. He was like, like the Dali Lama. I'm gonna call you the Dali Mama. That's cute. And I was like, that's mad cute. And I was just like, it's been stuck since. Okay, but twenty twenty, I'm going through a terrible breakup. You know, me and him end up breaking up. I have to get my own place, and it's going into the pandemic breakup. That just sucks. It sucked ended breaking up officially, because you know, the long term relationious be on and off, like breaking up during a pandemic. It's like, how are you gonna find somebody to replace the pandemic? No, you have to be alone, do the work. Yeah on yourself. Did you do it? Yeah? I was alone for some time afterwards, but he ended up like trying to commit suicide, so he had like thrown himself off of the freeway into the four or five. And when all of that was taking place, this was like after I literally the year after I moved out. I was not that long after when that happened. Dolly Mama was just like, oh, like, this is my purpose, Like I need to help people with my story and be a testament of my story to let people know that you can make it through all of the adversities that life throws at you, and that you can stand on business despite whatever life throws at you and you cannot and you can make that shit look sexy. Yeah you know what I'm saying. So yeah, Then Dalli Mama came about, and this was actually, you know, I had a really good friend of mine named Ariel, and she was like, you know, like you are just such a wellness person that I just feel like you need to do something with that. And originally Dalli Mama was going to be called Dollai like pitbulls Dallai, I like Dali Mama. Yeah, And then I was like what And then my friend was like, why is that's your nickname. That's something everybody knows you as that, Like why are you going to shut up? And like, yeah, that's stupid. Let me not do that. So there's a couple of questions I have. Well, let's take a bite of the food, because I have to say good, because you know, when you cook with other pots and ship I'm starving. I think it can be. It's good. It's good, and there's more. All that matters. I thought it was gonna be a lot more saucier. Mm hmm. There's the rice absorbed it. Now I'm curious. I keep bringing up the sauce. Do you ever add some of the sauce to rice? If it seems like because I low ke you want to? I feel like it's raw garlic and raw peppers and stuff saucy. Can I try it? I just want to try it. She's like, but it's saucy. I like it. But I feel like I'm one of those people that like gooey and messy food. Yeah, do you like do you like that all fattening? So messy? This would be good with some beans. The beans were at the sauce. Yeah, I think the beans were at the sauce. Yeah, you know, what or sides out the beans. But this feeds a lot of people, and it's so cheap, and you have car and proteain. I want to see what happens if I mix it with this sauce though, I just I don't know. I'm obsessed with this. Have you ever tried that? I mean, yeah, have you ever done it on top of the rice? After? Okay, I'm gonna change your life. But you can't take that that. You can not take that sauce with you. Okay, I promise you you're gonna be doing this after this. It is delicious with it as okay? Right? Yeah? Are you just saying that? I'm not? I mean, I made the ship, but but you had admit right it's good? Yeah, because I just grew up thinking that that's bad my mom like, don't eat it like that, like love it. I hope nobody who your mom is going to be like what, No, I love this and it's not it's it's actually it's just peppers and onions and stuff. So I don't see why not. It's taste, cellar. I just love it on the rice too. Are you saying it? Are you just no? I'm not as like, would you ever do this. If your mom was around, you know what I would do. I would add a chili pepper to make a spicy because your Jamaican. You like spice. I like your Scotch bonnet. You like Scotch bonnet, pepper. Bay. I want to touch on two things before we can close out. Okay.
Speaker 2: One, Whenever people say holistic in wellness, I'm like, what does that mean? We're eating carrots, Like, what does that mean?
Speaker 1: Holistic? Because I saw that you, that's you, That's a part of your wellness. Right. Holistic means like overall comprehensive, that doesn't just encompass like actual health like organ health or something like that. Like it's literally your lifestyle, it's your diet, your mental it's an overall approach to health. Holistic, whole, a whole complete. And then if someone like, how does someone join Dolly Mama or how does it work? Okay, So Dolly Mama is still very much a baby. Dolly Mama is like two to three years old, and right now we are doing events. You can find us on Instagram right now and we do events. I did a retreat in Costa Rica. I'm glad you like it. Sorry, we did a retreat in Costa Rica. We have Bali next year. And what I'm really doing is building more than anything. I have a product line coming out and all that stuff launching in like six seven months, along with website and every thing. But more importantly for me, I want to create a real genuine community. I don't like that and I and I want to take my time with that. And that's why I do these meetups and these hangouts with people. I do a lot of community work and things like that. It's because I really want something I didn't have, which was like community and people talking the way that meaning you are talking on the regular and and we're doing we're having like minded conversations for elevation, for growth and things like that. That's where you go for that to learn. Dalli Mamas is a hub for everything to learn, to educate yourself and all of that to grow and build a support to build a support system. And how many trips have you done so far with Dolly? This year is my first? This year was my first one in Costa Rica. And then what happened on the trip, like what can people expect? So on the trip, the truck was beautiful, We did a lot of excursions. So we went to like a waterfall. We learned about cacao and the indigenous people. We like hands on, like made chocolate from scratch and it was good. Did you did you do good chocolate? Joe, chocolate come out. That's so funny. Did you do good chocolate? Yeah? It was good. Teach me how to make chocolate. My life will be complete. I'll be on you talk about at it. I learned how to make chocolate, it's gonna be a problem. Yeah. So we learned how to do all that. We went to the rainforest, We learned about the animals, the plants. We did a lot of healing work with ourselves. Just like things that I tools that I've learned that have helped me overcome my issues and my hurdles in life are the tools that I'm just like teaching people, like journaling, meditating, like all that stuff I had to learn so that I can keep it right. You know, So journaling, you do feel like really does help with wellness. I know people talk about it, but do you really feel like it really? Yeah, it does help, Like putting your thoughts on paper and your feelings on paper instead of having them in your mind and like bottling it all in. It really helps. And it also helps like when you look back at your journal entries and seeing how far you've come. I have like three journals from like so many years, and I always I love from time to time going back to where I was and twanty you were like, thank god that girl, if only would have known. Yeah, then I start getting real lately. My journal entries are real descriptive. But do you do like just random do you ever do like letters to your younger self? I feel like I have done that before as a as an exercise. Yeah, yeah, I feel like helper. I mean I feel like what those things help us with perspective, like giving you a different perspective and how you view things in life, how you view the things that happen to you in life, or how to become empowered from those things that have happened to us in life. And that's one of the main things for me, is like a prevalent theme is empowerment throughout throughout and that's something I want everybody to feel, is empowered throughout life and no matter what obstacles are thrown at you. And it's not just journaling, and it's more than that. It's you know, it's like when we were on the retreat, it's like we were together for a week and like, you know, we did some exercises, some meditations and some some things that change their perspective on the way they view the world and things like that. Like that's why you come on those trips for like life changing aha moments that you're like, oh my god, and then you go home and apply it. You know. Do you ever do you do on the on the trips? Do you take away phones and stuff? No? I don't. You know, I don't all your exes, don't search on Instagram? You know that's funny as hell. No, it's all actually because I'm like, it's not like a like the whole time, it's like we're here, we're shaking us, We're doing it is a fun trip. It's like we're it's like a girl's trip. Wix well in the trip and do guys are guys allowed to go? Well? Because it's called Dolly Mama? No, I know, it's just like right now, I just like I feel like women feel more comfortable with women, but I would like to for the men. The men need this.
Speaker 2: You have like a Dolly Papa and a Dolly Mama, Dolly kids right now, my kids certainly. Okay, it was such a pleasure to eat this food with you and Julie. Oh yeah, you left more in the pot.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 2: I'm realizing as you say why your mom said not to because when you were discrib I'm in the all the ingredients in here.
Speaker 1: Like I took a big bite of it, and I was like, oh, now I.
Speaker 2: Get why you don't do because now you're yeah when I say yeah, when I say like, I mean, I don't kiss anybody anyways, but my goodness, like I was doing so much in a sauce, and then I took.
Speaker 1: A big tongue and I said, oh, there's a reason why they don't. They don't because that's literally just raw. And you kept saying it too, and I was like this. I'm like, yo, girl, this is how you do it. You're like, okay, you do know that it's like garlic and vegetables chopped up. I was like, yeah, now my mouth is just covered in garlic and onion. It's raw. Just eat it when you guys, get eat it exactly the way she told you to eat it. Yeah, you gotta listen at me. You gotta cook it, cook it a little bit. Yeah, very valuable lesson learned trying to chef the chef. And I will say this, I coun tage the orange and a lemon. You can, yeah, nice, I can taste a little bit. How can people keep up with you? Sorry, I got a full mouth and I'm talking people can keep up on I'm mostly on Instagram these days and TikTok, but Yaris Underscore Sanchez and Dolli Mama World, Dolly Mama World on Instagram. And now that's one hundred percent of your focus. Now, Yeah, building the community, and but be on the lookout for products. Product line, hair, product line. I hope it's for like curly hair. It is for curly hair, for sure.
Speaker 2: I always feel like curly hair, no matter like how many brands you're loyal to. Someone told me this recently, you just got to switch it up because once you're curly hair conquers a brand and it stops working for you, you gotta be like, I know, I'm a diehard of this fit in this brand, but you have to go out there and try a new brand because like if you don't, because like I started noticing.
Speaker 1: Some of my curls was like, if you I've been doing this for ten years, give rid of that shit. We're in twenty twenty four you still in twenty fourteen, you still using horse and made it? Oh my god, man and tail. Let me tell you something. My little brother he had long hair, and I would go to his house and he had horse made and tail, and I would be like, how the fuck do you even call me? You're here with that? That ship was terrible, Like I feel like my hair knotted up even more, and like that shit was terrible, terrible. I was like, bro, But no, I just recently started switching it up because I noticed that my curls, especially in the front, they go limp. Really, I have fine hair, but they go limp.
Speaker 2: But if I do switch up the different curling products, like find a different conditioner, my curls will actually come back. I used to think I'd have to cut it off or whatever, but no, it's definitely like, you gotta switch up your product, so we'll be looking out for your products.
Speaker 1: Cool. Thanks. Yeah, I put a lot of love into everything I do, and I don't support shit that it's not like legit. So just know that whatever it is that you're supporting from Daly, Mamma is coming from a really true place, you know.
Speaker 2: And I've gone on your page and I will say it was like a peaceful it looks like you have a good self care routine and so peaceful.
Speaker 1: And all that.
Speaker 2: So I was like, Okay, definitely still in that you know, self love, self care thing. I'm slowly getting into that, even though I'm like.
Speaker 1: It's a journey, like we're as we're growing and involved in becoming different people, we have to then relearn or teach ourselves new ways for this new person we're becoming. Or is it like right now I feel like I have to rise up to the occasion, Like right now in my life where I'm at, God is asking of me to to to rise to the occasion, to stand in my power fully you know, and really and and and it's gonna take a lot. Yeah, yeah, it's gonna take a lot. But I'm one of his souldiers.
Speaker 2: Well you stand on your business, yes, So I know it's gonna happen. And I look forward to hopefully one day join in the retreat when my daughter's like at least five. Because obviously you don't want to be a mom on a retreat. It ain't gonna be a retreat as if your kids.
Speaker 1: Show up with you. No, you don't, you don't. But the retreats are fun, like the girls, they had so much fun, Like we went on so many adventures and we went out and the night time. Like it's overall having a balanced life. It's not just like being vegan and then everything, all your problems go away. Yeah no, like you can still do the things that you love in moderation. Yeah, still live in health and still heal and have fun, still do the work on yourself and try to erase the trauma, breaking generational cycles and all this, that and the third while also having fun. I gotta be so serious all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you heard it here first. You ain't gotta be so serious, but stand on your business. Thank you so much for your time and feeding me.
Speaker 1: On another episode of Eating Broke. Peace y'all,