Speaker 1: It is Thursday, August tenth. This is Jaguars Happy Hour. Jaguars Happy Hours brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District and now Doug Peterson's personal Visor Advisor. Thank you Kay Stevens, Jay P.
Speaker 2: Checker, and welcome in. It is Jaguars Happy Hour.
Speaker 3: It is Thursday afternoon, a busy two hours ahead as the Jaguars prepare for the Dallas Cowboys coming up Saturday and Arlington.
Speaker 2: Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to.
Speaker 3: You by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving and coming up on the show today. Preseason week one prep continues. Playing time questions they have been answered by Doug Peterson this week. Roster spots on the line. Really the exams are the preseason games. The Class SUSI throughout the week and you really get to shine under the lights of some of these games players making their debuts this week. And then at five o'clock, the Doug Peterson Show on the Jaguars Radio Network will have the best of Doug Peterson's sound. In the press conference from earlier in the week, we'll hear from Andre Cisco as well. Jaguars safety JP Shadwick with you, Jeff log him in alongside.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, Jeffrey, Hey, JP, how are you doing? Doing good? Doing good?
Speaker 3: Excited to have a week to where we kind of got an opportunity to look at game evaluation, which is where you want to get to in the preseason. You know, in the first couple of weeks. It's kind of new and exciting the first week, and then once you kind of get into the second week, it gets a little bit old watching the same guys go against the same guys.
Speaker 2: Sure it gets old for those.
Speaker 3: Guys said, yeah, it really does, right, it really does. And so players are anxious and always excited to get that first game under their belt. And a lot of players are going to have a lot of emotion because it's going to be their first game action for some of them, which can be very exciting and and it's also will provide a lot of reality for some people because this is a business and not everybody who's going to get equal reps, and that's just the nature of the beast. It's just the way it is. They can't divvy up reps equally amongst everybody. You mentioned reps one of the questions this week, will the starters play and if so, how long? Doug Peterson had an answer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, I think it's important for them to play, to feel the you know, I think the excitement around a game. You know, don't plan on playing them long at all, but just want to get them, get him in, get him out, and then you know, but yet still get get some quality working.
Speaker 3: Well, this is going to be as vanilla of an offensive and really defensive scheme. Let's start on the offense though, you've got keep You want to get everybody, maybe a touch. You want to keep the quarterback upright. If Michael Parsons is playing, you're gonna see screens all over the field just to get it out of his hands. But hey, a nice sustained drive, spread the ball around, maybe get some points. If you get six eight plays on a drive, you might not see him again. Yeah, and I think you know the like what you're saying is that if you have a drive for early drive in the ball game, and it's ten plays, eleven plays, twelve plays and it's really good, then that's probably gonna be it. If it's a three and out on the first drive and a three and out on the second drive, you may go three series, you know, just to try to find a way to end the game with some success and some productivity. And that mindset is definitely there. And JP the simplicity of first preseason games is about as simple as you can get. I mean, game plans are really non existent. You're not doing walkthroughs with cards to where you're looking at Michael Parsons. You're not game planning for Michael Parsons. And if Michaeh. Parsons plays, then your tackles are just going to have to block them right well, yeah, or get rid of it quick. Yeah, I mean, that's just that's just part of the deal. And uh, and the reason that they do that is they want to get a very strong evaluation where where players are playing the game free without thinking. So they want to see the athleticism, the competitive nature, a player who can be aware of some assignment responsibility but not become burdened with assignment responsibility. And and then you know, in the next game, you know, you start to see game planning, and then they get to evaluate from that aspect. And so every game represents kind of another stage or another level in the evaluation process. We know what this offense looked like last year. It kind of evolved as it went on, but there was always motion and pre snap things and changes at.
Speaker 2: The line up. It will be none of them. You won't have it.
Speaker 3: I mean, you might have some motion, but you're not going to have a lot of stuff. You know, you're kind of simple, basic meat and potatoes of your offense. You're going to hand the ball off. You want to see how your linemen get movement. You want to see how your your wide receivers, the young wide receivers block special teams. Is going to be a huge evaluation point in this game. So there's a lot of things that you're going to be looking at, and the one thing that you want to look at is players that are playing free so you can evaluate the athleticism, the playmaking ability, and the talents of the players. Yeah, and then build upon that moving ahead, or work on something on the practice field next week if need be, and get some guys going yeah. And this is a great I mean, this is a great atmosphere to have an evaluation in. I mean, look Jerry's world. The stadium in Dallas, Fort Worth, whatever wherever it is in Arlington, Arlington is tremendous and it's a great environment for players to play in because you know, part of the evaluation process is not only just evaluating the player, but also evaluating the player's ability and mental ability to handle some big moments. And I can tell you jp the first time that I ever played at the old.
Speaker 2: Texas Stadium, yeah, in Irving, it was a big deal. It was like, Oh, you walk in.
Speaker 3: You're like, oh my god, this is where the Dallas Cowboys play. And it's going to still have a little bit of that. I think emotion connected to it for some young players. And so from the aspect of evaluating the player's ability to handle big moments, this is also an opportunity to have that. And I hope that you know, there's a good crowd and generate a little of excitement and hopefully some of the Cowboys are playing in this game, so you can see some ones against some ones before giving away to the backups. You know the old line about the hole in the roof at Texas Stadium and the retractors so God could shine down on the count so he could watch his favorite team play. Yeah, right, whatever, it's a Jaguars happy hour or on titted XLAM ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot com. We're on Jaguars YouTube as well. Check us out on there. Hit us on Twitter. No, oh, it's X. Now it's not a tweet anymore, it's a post and it's not Twitter anymore.
Speaker 2: It's X.
Speaker 3: It's a post on X at JP Shadwick at logs five six. Well, the Jaguars, you're huge on there. Yeah, you're a social media maven. It wasn't big on Twitter, but I'm big on X times. Change times. They are a change in pads, pads in practice Saturday, Sunday, Monday earlier this week, the intensity ramped up a bit. And I get it's not like the old days, BISSELLI was in here the other day talking about that. But in this world, the NFL, and in this training camp for this Jaguars team, they kind of ratcheted things up, you know, Sunday and then into Monday they're doing live tackling really for the only time in training camp, and that's as intense as this. They set the tone I think for the physicality needed.
Speaker 2: For this team.
Speaker 3: Well, and as Doug said, he said, you know you want to you want to test and put these guys through a little bit of mental strain to see how they respond, and the team handled it very well. And what's interesting is it was having a conversation with gentlemenager Trent Balky today about you know, the the old camps versus the modern day camp and and I was like, and I was kind of surprised that that, uh, in no pads today. You know, this guy's just joking around with him, as you know, we always used to be in an upper shoulder pads and have contact two days before a preseason game back you know, in the day. And he kind of chuckled and he said, you know, he said, the crazy thing is is with the collective Bargaining agreement the way it is now that if you have three consecutive days and pads, you are required to have three days to follow without pads. About that, yeah, yeah, So so Doug took the opportunity to go three days to do that mental challenge part. But then on the other side of that, now you got to go three days and no patch, which day off they had on Tuesday, and then no pads yesterday, and then no pads today.
Speaker 2: So that's three days.
Speaker 3: And then they'll I think probably they're not nothing on the field practice official. I think tomorrow, but walk through traveling, Yeah, walk through and then travel day something. I mean, could you go full pads if you wanted to? I mean probably, but you're trying to get ready to you imagine get ready for a preseason somebody who would Yeah, I don't know if that would go.
Speaker 2: Over very well? Probably not.
Speaker 3: Hey, Jags fans want customized Jaguars furniture for your home, check out zipchare dot com and browse all customizable options ZIP chair furniture for fans. Those padded practice logs. You know, we've talked a lot and hurt a lot the last couple of weeks on the defensive side, especially Mike Caldwell talked about it. The Jags defensive coordinator that the number one real priority for this defense is tackling. They had some tackling issues a season ago that they've referenced. Well, it's hard to practice tackling. You don't get many opportunities, you know, tackling a dummies different than well, you got to be creative, right, how do you do that?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: First, the first thing I think and when it comes to tackling is angles. Angles, of approach. When you take good angles, you put yourself in the best position to make a tackle. So teaching angles is.
Speaker 2: Part of it.
Speaker 3: The form and fit which you can't tackle, but you can get the body ready and in position to do that without following through with the physical part of the tackle. And then I don't know if you happened to see after practice. I think it was on Monday, and which was pretty amazing to see and that, you know, you just had three days in a row of padded practices. And then over on the farfield you got foy L Devin Lloyd, Shaq quarterman. They're working on tackling themselves, and they're on the single sled and they're forming up and fitting it, driving it and then turning the sled and dumping it. And so there's a way that you can practice tackling against an inanimate object, whether it be a pad somebody's holding for you, or whether it be the tackling sled, which is I think the best way to do it. But nothing beats live tackling against another human because I can tell you jp look, tackling a sled or tackling somebody in a game or in a practice is not like tackling somebody in real time or in a real game. And you know, for example, and look, if you're coming from the side and you're trying to tackle Eric Dickerson or an Emmett Smith and you don't get your hat across the bow, they're don't run through you like you know, you're just a you know, a little bag of talcum powder. Which I speak from experience on it. Eric Dickerson got you, man. I had him lined up one time JP. It was uh, it was in New York and I was coming off the edge of the goal line and I had him unblocked full speed and was just gonna I was gonna blow him up. I mean, I was going to send him to the other side of the field in the air. And all I remember is is him running right through me. And he just walked into the end zone. I didn't get my hat in front. And the Eric Dickerson had an uncanny ability of running with strength, just like Emmett.
Speaker 2: Big, big, big dude.
Speaker 3: But he ran upright so you know, you thought it was going to be an easy target to just blow him up. Nah, No, it didn't work out that way. Big and fast and strong and the whole deal. Well, he was. He was special. I mean Hall of Fame guy. I mean, you know, I mean Emmett, Hall of Fame guy. I mean, these guys were so strong and hey, you think that you could just, you know, knock him down and make it look easy. It just it never worked out that way. But you know, that's the one thing I think with the change of training camps and practices. Look, everybody's doing it in the league, so it's not like anybody's at a disadvantage. Everybody has to work within the same system. So I'm not going to be one of these guys that they should go back to the old days and have more hitting, tackling, et cetera. Is the tackling as good as it used to be in the first couple games of the season. No, But the game is different too. It's faster, it's more wide open, and so that creates a lot of challenges that weren't there or weren't in this game. You know, ten fifteen years ago, plenty ahead, we're return with Trayvon Walker Jaguars outside linebacker, and also a discussion about the interior of the d line and the stoutness of that group up front. And what logs you might expect against the run on defense this year. It starts right there in the middle of the defensive line. Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's Water. It's worth saving this this Jaguars Happy Hour.
Speaker 2: The growth of my mentality last year. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I'd like to say I always had a dog mentality is just always you know what I'm saying. The little things that I had to learn from last year is being a rookie, just coming into the league, to understanding a lot of different scheme things and mental things and just how to switch up my game within the game and just elevate as a player.
Speaker 2: So it's still the.
Speaker 5: Same mentality, just trying time to take it to a new level, the.
Speaker 3: Dog mentality for the former Dog Trayvon Walker, current jag Welcome back.
Speaker 2: It's Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint.
Speaker 3: John's River Water Management District, Florida's Water. It's worth saving. JP Shadrick, Jeff Lagerman, Glad you're with us. The Doug Peterson Show coming up at the top of the hour five o'clock on the Jaguars Radio Network will have the best of Doug Peterson from the week in his press conference earlier. We'll have coach Peterson live with us again week one before the Jaguars visit the Indianapolis Colts. So hey, Trayvon Walker, let's start with him going into year two. I always say they know everything, but they are usually right about this year one is a rookie to year two in the NFL, just.
Speaker 2: Overall, the world's calmer.
Speaker 3: Right, You've seen everything once, you know where everything is, you know what you need to do to prepare for a game, and that's really the baseline.
Speaker 2: For a lot of guys.
Speaker 3: Well, and you're also you're training for a football season where when you're a rookie, you're spend a lot of time training for combine, preparing for interviews, You're traveling a lot, and the focus isn't on ball in a lot of instances. And so yeah, you get a big jump typically from year one to year two. And Trayvon is a big, strong dude, and he's really going to show I think, more improvement and big improvement this year, you know. And he's got the one tool that you just can't teach, which is the big and strong and toughness of a of a defender.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: The one thing that you want to see with him is that progression of starting to advance the moves and pass rushing everything. And I think that that will come in time. He's got to learn to get on the edges of guys and and I'm looking forward to watching how he plays this year. But it's not just him. I mean, it's there's other guys too. I mean, Josh Allen's got to get to his best form. You've got some other guys that defensive tackle tackle that are going to have to emerge. Can Roy Robertson Harris get better. Devon Hamilton has been really good pass rushing so far. Akasi Fatikasi last year was banged up a ton. Can he get back to being what they thought he was gonna be when they acquired him in free agency?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: And the one guy that is intriguing to me, and today he was wearing a red jersey, and that's the rookie, Yeah, Doula, who I think has a lot of natural pass rush ability and he had a lot of successful with it in college. He's in concussion protocol. By the way, that's why the orange jersey today. But you know, maybe he'll be back fairly soon. You know, back to to Walker, What have you seen in those one on one drills that you've seen out there against the offensive lineman. That's where you'll start to see some of those moves emerge. Have you seen more out of him in those instances? You're seeing him try some different things, and that's really what a lot of that pass rush is for, you know, because as a pass rush, you don't know what works until you try something new, and a lot of times it's not comfortable when.
Speaker 2: You first do it.
Speaker 3: And the best pass rush are the ones that feel natural and reactionary, and that takes time to accomplish that. So you may end up having a move say hey, I'm gonna have this. I'm gonna try a spin move on this play, But in reality, the best spin move that you have is a reaction to an offensive tackle that's oversetting you instead of a plan. I want to work the spin move, but the only way that you learn to have it become reactionary is to intentionally try it on a particular pass rush move.
Speaker 2: But I think he's gotten.
Speaker 3: Better to where he's starting to work on the edges and sometimes that's a hard lesson to learn because you know, that's not something that comes natural to some people. But the one thing that's natural to tray Von is the strength, the power of the athleticism. And he has a tool bag that a lot of guys just don't have. And so I think he's got an incredibly high ceiling and I like where his floor is at because he's got the ability to do some really good things against the run, to push.
Speaker 2: The pocket, to be powerful.
Speaker 3: But the toolbag needs to grow and that's all part of the growth process. Caleb on Chase on Logs is in his fourth season, fourth season contract year for him. Yeah, they didn't pick up the option, and so I mean this is a big year for him. And has he shown anything to Yeah, you know, he's actually done some good things in past rush And he's the one thing that Calebon didn't really show a lot in the first, you know, three years of his career. He didn't really show that he's a physical player. And I think over the last two years he started to develop a little physical nature about him where he's using his pass rush technique of power to set some other things up and that's good to see. You know, a lot of people say, ah, you know, he's a bust and they're going to give up on him. But look, there's Jerry Hughes. Was a guy and I bring him up just because I mean, he was one of these guys that was a late bloomer. He was a first round pick of the Indianapolis Colts and he really didn't do anything for the Indianapolis Colts. He didn't do anything until he got to the Buffalo Bills and then all of a sudden he blossomed. And I'm not saying that Calebon is going to do that, but sometimes it takes guys a little bit longer to develop, and I hope that he's one of those guys. But right now, if I had to pick out my four best pass rushers on this team, I'm gonna take or you gonna start.
Speaker 2: At four or one? What do you mean we're ranking him right? No, I'm not thinking.
Speaker 3: I'm just four guys line up with four guys, no particular order, no particular order. These are my four guys that I would love to see line up and right now, Devon Hamilton in the middle.
Speaker 2: It's been getting great push.
Speaker 3: Sure, I'm gonna have Trayvon in the middle, in the middle because I think it's that combination of athleticism and power would be very well suited to being an inside pass rusher. When you get to second long and third and long, those are two Josh Allen and then you see her Abdullah my two outside guys.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Okay, those are your four right now? Those are my four right now. That can change.
Speaker 3: I mean it can change, yeah, I mean it can be pre season week one, but I mean those are the guys right now that are showing me the best. And Devon Hamilton's been like Brandon Sheriff can't stop them. Yeah, I mean it's like, here we go. He's just power and Sheriff back pretty good. Sound back the pockets, sound like police academy.
Speaker 2: And he's been doing that to everybody. Yeah, he's doing that to.
Speaker 3: The backup guards, Blake hands, He's done that to Fortner and by the way, Fortner, just a quick note on him. You heard me talking last week about how he worked on the functional strength. I'm gonna tell you right now, it's showing his power and one on one pass rush is dramatically better dramatically better than last year. Yeah, I mean it's like, wow better impressive. That's that's much better, Like wow better as much better? Yeah, I mean I can really descriptive. Wait to do that. It's Jaguars Happy Hour. We're on tented XLAM ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube.
Speaker 2: Anywhere you want us. You can get us. Weird.
Speaker 3: Glad you have us here today. All right, let's move to We talk about the pass rush all the time. That's really the hot topic right now outside the building. A lot of fans are like, hey, what's going on with that? How can they improve it? But we talked about a lot of those interior guys. This Jags defense last year was pretty good against the run. Stout in the middle, even without Patacasi there that had a stretch they weren't good, Yeah, but for the most part they were pretty good. They finished twelfth in yards per game against the run. I think they were better than that in yards per play. I think fourth in the league in yards per play in rushing. So this is a group that should be good against the run. Well, and look here's the reun I mean, look at some of these numbers. Here, you know, twelfth in points allowed, which ultimately that's the number one stat you know, because it's a points game, right, I mean, that's how you win. It's a passing league. So you look at the rush defense and twelfth ranking and you feel really good about it. But it's a passing league. Right on pass defense, you're twenty eighth. You know, third down percentage twenty ninth. I mean, those are near the bottom. I mean, those are the areas that you've got to get better at and how do you do that? Welsh rushing cover. The one thing that you really love is the takeaways, twenty seven of them, sure, and I think that was a category that really kind of allowed this defense to survive in a lot of the games that they played. And so you hope that they were able to replicate those numbers from last year as far as the takeaways and then get better and third down and pass rush and pass defense. You know, I said this on Huddle Up Yesterday, available on Jaguars dot Com, the official team website.
Speaker 2: By the way.
Speaker 3: You saw it, you said it right there too. The Jags were twenty fourth in total defense. If they're only twenty nine yards better per game, twenty nine few yards. They're in the top ten in the league in defense per game less if they allow the game that's right on average.
Speaker 2: But if you do the mass, multiply that by seventeen.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, if it's thirty yards less per game, one one extra drive you don't get, well, that's two explosive plays essentially.
Speaker 2: It's right.
Speaker 3: So if you're a little bit better, all of a sudden, the perception changes. Oh, top ten defense, right, you know, well, that's how fine a line it is on defense. Well, and how do you get the improvement? Okay, with the offense, you got high draft picks on offense. On defense, you know, they didn't draft defense until you get a little later in the draft, and there was something towards the end of the draft and didn't go out and get a lot a ton of guys and really any guys in free agency for the most part. So they're expecting improvement by two ways. One is the development of the roster that they have, and it's also the development of the coaching staff that they have, allowing everybody to get the year two and improve across the board. And you hope that that's that works. And I think it will work, but it's not easy to do, you know. The I think the easy thing to do right now is to is to sit there and scream, where's the defense, where's the defense, where's the pass rush, where's the coverage? I mean, and look, that's what they have preseason four, and then this is I think this defense is going to be able to take some steps, but they've got to be able to take some steps without lying on the takeaways to sustain that success, because takeaways.
Speaker 2: Are funny thing. You know.
Speaker 3: You go back to just look a little bit back in the Jaguars history twenty seventeen, which was arguably I don't even think it's arguable. I think it was the best Jaguars defense in its history. I mean tremendous. I mean, at one point in twenty seventeen with AJ Boy and Jalen Ramsey at corner, Kalieth Campbell, Malik Jackson, Sean Gibson on the back end, the two edge rushers. Josh was a rookie at that point. N Gakway was there. I mean, this defense puslunding was unbelievable, and the numbers were literally almost at the all time greatest level, like Bears of eighty five, the Ravens of two thousand, those numbers, I mean, just unbelievable. Then all of a sudden, the next year, you still had the same personnel, but the takeaways weren't there, and the ranking dropped significantly when the takeaways weren't there. So that's how important takeaways can be to a defense. So this year you hope that you get the improvement overall and you still maintain that category of takeaways. Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District. Florida's water it's worth saving. And when we return Kai Stevens, Jaguars reporter joining us, we'll get her take on camp this week and much more.
Speaker 2: It's Jaguars Happy Hour. I'm looking forward to it a lot.
Speaker 5: To get the game plan against another opponent, go against new guys that's not your own teammates.
Speaker 2: We can really just let it all loose. So I'm excited to go out.
Speaker 3: Anton Harrison, Jaguars right tackle Doug Peterson said he might play a little longer than the starting group and welcome back at Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water. It's worth saving. JP Shadwick with Jeff Logoman. We're on Tenson Xcel ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube. If you want us, you can find us almost anywhere. Kyle Stevens is with us. She's found us in studio.
Speaker 6: Hi, Kai, you guys have a lot more jazzy music than we have in the morning. We're a little more punchy. But you guys are like punchy happy hour club music.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's the whole idea. It's a party of it. We're not in charge of that. True.
Speaker 6: We couldn't let JP pick. I know that much.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, yeah, you don't want me to pick. We don't want you no chance, not at all.
Speaker 6: Got to keep our viewers and listeners a week, right.
Speaker 2: Jap's got great taste of music. Did you know that?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: I come in some morning because j let's storytime JP at like six am, So I stroll in and he's just got his own personal concert going on like at like nine after I get hassled by security trying to get in the building. But yes, yes, JP has his music going. But I've never Well, you want to pick the music next week?
Speaker 3: You've never asked, You're you never asked what it is. Well, I'm not gonna share it here.
Speaker 6: It's not a big deal, but whatever, all right, next show one.
Speaker 2: Of these days.
Speaker 3: If you ever wanted to play name that tune, I want him on my team.
Speaker 2: Interesting, he's good.
Speaker 3: Now, if we could have like a team of three, I'm gonna take I'm gonna take JP, and I'm gonna take Joe Fortanado.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Joe knows everything, our producer, Joe knows all the things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'd go undefeated. I think on that.
Speaker 3: Are you guys pretty good? You guys would be carrying me. I don't know about that, Yeah you would. Anton Harrison hopefully is in time carrying this offensive line. He's going to get some time at right tackle and gonna get a lot of it. He was at the podium today. We just saw and heard it. If you're watching on Jaguars dot Com, you saw it. If you're on radio, you heard it. But hey, he's excited to get out there kai and we're excited.
Speaker 2: To see him.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, it's the first round pick, so you definitely want to see what you have. We've seen him a little bit in practice. He's been dealing with that shoulder injury, so we weren't sure if we're going to see him, but Doug Peterson said, we would see with the Ones, and he probably will stay out of a little bit longer just so he can all get a look at what's going on. But he's just from what I've seen, been really good at, you know, asking questions. He's always like trying to, you know, work with some obviously the offensive line is very talented and kind of working with someone at all times. And what I thought was interesting is like you forget how young they are because he was talking a little bit. He's from Washington, d C. So he's like, oh, yeah, I grew up watching sheriff, you know, on my hometown team, and you're like, oh yeah, I forgot, you're like very young.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The impressive thing about him and the thing that I'm most excited about what about what Doug Peterson said is that he's gonna play, but then he's probably gonna play longer than the Ones. And a lot of people say, well, why would you be excited about that because he's gonna play more. I'm excited because that means that the shoulders okay enough to be able to play longer.
Speaker 2: That's true. He missed what three days?
Speaker 3: Okay, he missed some time, and he's wearing what looks like a A lot of times when guys get shoulders, they wear this device that goes around their chests, and then there's a cuff that goes around the arm, and there's a connector that connects between the stuff that's around the torso to the arm, so it limits the range of motion of that shoulder. So when you see a guy wearing something like that, your concern is, oh, you know, he's got a pretty significant shoulder thing. Well, when the head coach turn around, turns around and says, hey, look he's gonna play with the ones, you know he's gonna be good to go and then he's probably gonna play more. I'm sitting there going all right. That means the shoulders good enough.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: I mean that because look, I mean first round pick and all of a sudden he's missing time with the shoulder. Shoulder and an offensive linemen are not best friends, okay. I mean, that's the one part of the body you want to be good. You can play with little nicks and bruises and bumps and other aches and pains at other joint, but the shoulder is pretty important with an offensive line, especially tackle. I think you just want to see him out there running around. He's so athletic. I don't know was I telling you today, but anyway, I was telling somebody that there was a play in practice that anton And so he's in a two point stance, which is pass pro stance. Okay, and most and most guys when they're in the two point stance and it's a run play, they kind of give it away. Okay, they're kind of leaning and they're not looking like they're going to kick out and to a forty five degree angle for a pass set. So he is really disguising it well. And from that two point stance, the play that was actually called was a run away from him. So his job from a two point pass pro stance was to slide his body and cut off a three technique defensive tackle. There ain't many dudes in the league that can do that athletically, and he did it like effortless, and I'm going, oh my god, that was awesome. But I mean, that's the kind of athleticism that he has great feet, great hands, great finisher. That's the things that I got from his college tape. The one thing I think that he's still got to grow into is that body. And he's a little more leading the pencil, so to speak, so that when he takes on a bull rush he can throw the anchor out and sit it down and stop a guy. But that will come in time. I mean, look at Josh Wells's body now, Kyle. We saw him when he was a young man. How different is his body now from when he was a younger. He was a skinny little guy, right, really not that little, but he was, you know what I mean, compared to now.
Speaker 2: He's been in the weight room for ten years.
Speaker 3: So like Anton, what is he twenty one twenty two young player?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: I mean, give him a couple of years to even mature more. And it's kind of crazy. We're saying out about a three hundred and fifteen.
Speaker 6: Pounds, but he couldn't tell. He's so tall and he doesn't carry it like that. It's not like you know, an average height person that's three hundred pounds.
Speaker 2: I love him. I think he's going to be really good.
Speaker 3: I think he's going to get better over time, and he's got the right mindset. Yeah, he takes advice from some of those guys. So I talked to Josh Wells today after practice and he said, ay, it's the feet he's ever seen on a young guy. Yeah, oh yeah, Okay, I believe that's one thing. But they've grown very close, and you know, it's basically Wells. Part of Wells's job is to carry it on down to the young guys, including the first round pick who's playing it right tackle. And Josh Wells has plenty of time there as well, so he understands his role. But the fact that Anton is open to these veteran players like Sheriff and like Wells and even Walker Little on the left side. Cam's been at it. I know he has been around him a lot on the practice field. That's a good group.
Speaker 2: To learn from.
Speaker 6: And I just I also he was talking to us and he said, you know, I like to ask questions. There's some people that are just you know, scared or you know, not ready, not quite there. And He's like, oh no, I bug them all the time. I'm always asking him how they do it, why they do it that way, And that's what you want right. And people say this about Tank as well, like just being a sponge absorbing everything around. Obviously, you're in the NFL, you've never been there before. You're just going to be a learning curve. But he does a great job of just being like, all right, how much can I learn? And every single day learn something new and try to pick this up as quickly as it can, which is a great sign.
Speaker 3: I mean, the guys that come in that think they know those are not it. Those are not the guys you want to have on your football team. You want the guys that are coming in the door and saying, look, I don't know anything, and it's better to keep my mouth shut my ears open so that I can learn and get better. And that's the kind of player that he is, and that's good to see a young player who is hungry and he wants to learn. If you're looking for the MVP of the truck game, look no further than four to f one point fifty. Loaded with impressive capability and designed to dominate, work, play and everything in between. This truck makes tough look easy. Your local Ford Dealer, proud partner of the Jacksonville Jaguars is Jaguars Happy Hour, JP Shadwick, Jeff Logaman, Kay Stevens. To go back to that thing when I said about anton there's a reason that we have two ears in one.
Speaker 2: Mouth, right, zipit? Yeah right?
Speaker 3: I mean especially for young players. I mean use those two ears, okay, and don't use that mouth a whole lot. We mentioned two uts already in Harrison in Bigsby. But who else are you excited to see finally get on the grass out of here Saturday?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean obviously thirteen draft picks. There's a lot of an undrafted free agents, so there's a lot of people to see. I hope that you know, some of the higher draft picks Tank Brenton Strange, that they play a decent chunk of time because you don't know what they are yet.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: We've seen them practicing and it looks good, but I have no idea what that's going to look in it like in a real game. So at least a little bit of that, I think some of you know Antonio Johnson, some of.
Speaker 2: The his name's popped up all over the place, of.
Speaker 6: Course, and every out of everyone, out of Doug, out of you know, everybody's been talking about him. So just to see kind of how they use him as well, right, because you know, we've heard about him on special teams, We've heard about him on defense, and just the roles that they put everybody in. Parker Washington is return maybe returning kicks and punts like we've seen him doing a lot of that, and just how they use everybody, right, So seeing how it looks in a real.
Speaker 3: Game, yeah, because you've got to try it out in a game and see and if they can't do it, then okay, let's adjust and move forward. There's going to be there's gonna be some guys that don't make the active roster that other teams are gonna be sitting there waiting.
Speaker 6: I think there's a lot of people that aren't gonna make this roster that are gonna end up on a different prosers.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. I mean the wide receiver group is talented. I mean from top to bottom. I mean one of the guys that you know that may not make this team, and I think he's got a shot is the big tall guy, okay, Jacob Harris. I mean Jacob Harris gives this wide receiving group something that they don't have. That six foot five, rangey, big guy you know, because most of the guys are a Ridley, A Kirk, say Jones. These are smaller types, you know. And then when you get down to that number five wide receiver, he's got to be a special teams guy. So with Harris having some size, I mean maybe that's an event, but you know, here's the reality. If you keep him, who are you not gonna keep?
Speaker 6: Exactly?
Speaker 3: You got Parker Washington. He's a slot guy draft pick right now. Tim Jones can play every position and special teams guy. I mean, you really have Let's see Ridley's Ridley's on the team. He's gonna make it, says Chance Jones, Christian Kirk, Jamal Agnew. Let's say Parker Washington's five. All the rest of these guys are battling for a six spot. Yeah, you don't. You don't typically see a team keep seven. Six is like the top typically the top number because you need you're gonna need running backs. You got four tight ends most likely that can make it well. And yeah, I mean numbers game four tight ends, you know, could it be three? I mean there's a chance that would be.
Speaker 6: Even harder for me to make a decision, I think than the wide receiver.
Speaker 2: And if you if you keep three let's just say tight ends. Can you slide?
Speaker 3: Can you sneak one of those guys somewhere that they don't get clean, maybe practice squad, but the one they still got to clean the clear waivers. The one position that I think that the coaching staff are going to be watching incredibly close lee is cornerback. I mean, that's the one position that you know kind of who your first two guys are, and then after that you don't know. And so these games, these preseason games, these upcoming practices against the Detroit Lions, this is gonna be incredibly important for that position group's evaluation because, to be honest with you, JP, I don't really have a leader beyond the top two guys right now in my mind, play some ball, figure it.
Speaker 2: Out, let's do it right.
Speaker 6: I'm excited and in Dallas as well. You ever been right right lights, big stage city, not the not stadium, though, very excited you have.
Speaker 3: It's the most incredible stadium in the National Football League. I mean it's it's just it's white glove crystal. I mean, it's it's impressive. You know, the all the fan amenities that are at field, level, the both sides of the end zones up prodex the number of suite I mean, it's it is tremendous.
Speaker 2: You will be.
Speaker 6: Impressed excited to see it.
Speaker 2: Kai, well done as always.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: We'll see you next week.
Speaker 6: We will and we'll have game things to talk about it. Yeah, that's right, this is very exciting you.
Speaker 3: We'll contribute to our pregame radio coverage as well, and you'll be on the sidelines for radio.
Speaker 6: So we'll be on the sidelines for radio on Saturday, and then we're coming back for like a day, and then we're going to Detroit for joint practice. We'll have all our JAGSAM shows there Wednesday and Thursday.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a plan to me. We'll talk to you, kay, Let's do it. Kis Stevens with us.
Speaker 3: Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving the injury report and much more coming up than at five o'clock the Doug Peterson Show.
Speaker 2: This is Jaguars Happy Hour.
Speaker 4: Even the young guys from last year, you know, you look at you know, Chadmoma as a young second year linebacker who's gonna get plenty of you know, plenty of time not only in preseason but the regular season. You look at the young secondary guys who are going to get a lot of opportunities this spring or this, uh, this this training camp, and that's encouraging, and it gives you depth on special teams, you know, and there's some there's some key roles there that we can fill. So I think we're in a better position than me where a year ago, uh, depth wise, and it'll be you know, it'll be difficult at the end to make some some challenging, you know, decisions.
Speaker 2: That's the head coach, Doug Peterson, of course. And welcome back.
Speaker 3: It's Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving.
Speaker 6: J P.
Speaker 3: Shadrick, Jeff Logman, Glad you're with us. More from Doug coming up at five o'clock on the aptly named Doug Peterson Show on the Jaguars Radio Network. Well here plenty of from Doug in his press conference earlier this week. He'll be back with us in studio Week one, when the Jaguars visit the Indianapolis Colts to kick off the regular season. A lot going on. Training camp schedules are nuts. So we're giving him a few weeks off.
Speaker 2: That's okay, We're giving it to him. We're giving them time on throwing them a bone. That's what's happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, coaches a bit busy, you know, coaching football. Yeah, that's the most important. I mean that, I will say just real quick. I mean, the demands of being a head coach in the National Football League are unbelievable. I mean, think about how many different moving parts there are to the football as an organization goes for the football operation at this time of year with just the number to sheer number of people, and I mean, heck, you got ninety guys. You got ninety one because they got yeah, and then you have the staff is handed for training camp to be able to handle the additional number of players. The demand turns in turns all across the board. You have walkthroughs, meetings, you're scheduling and planning for trips, et cetera. I mean, it's media. I mean, it's it's like never ending. I mean, I admire the guys that do that job well because it is a lot on their plate. It's not just coaching ball. I mean it's management, right, and and how people handle it. And tremendous amount of respect for Doug because he handles everything with such class and a nice calmness. You know, guys nice. I mean even he's you know, yeah, he's he's fantastic. I'm sure those wheels turn inside though for a guy that's successful, Oh yeah, that smart of an offensive mind. I mean, it's always moving in there. But he as cool as can be on the outside. He hides some frustration. Well, yes, times, That's what I'm saying. All coaches have it, All people have it sometimes, that's for sure. Hey, it's time for the injury report presented by Baptist Health and the Jacksonville Orthopedic Institute, the official sports medicine provider of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Three players in concussion protocol according to the team this afternoon. Tyson Campbell had the orange jersey off today and was out there practicing, but still is officially in the protocol. You mentioned you see Abdullah outside linebacker, rookie, he's in it now. Samus reyis the big Chilean tight end, is in there as well in the concussion protocol. Of course, Ben bartch into Want Smooth both in the physically unable to perform active list. Tyler Shatley still off to the side after his ap episode earlier in the week. No real timetable from the team on Shatley's return. You maybe could see Bart sometime in the near future. We'll see what happens with that, and then Smoot maybe into the season for him. Yeah, I think Smoot's going to be, you know, quite a way's end of the season. I think BArch may be back next week. Possibly, Hey, that'd be good. You know. So he's kind of chomping at the bit to get out there. He's worked on you well, we watch him work on the side. I mean, the guy's been i mean just getting after it on the side.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: When I say on the side, he's not wearing pads or a helmet or anything because you can on pup, but he's working some individual type drills with trainers and the strength and conditioning staff. I mean, he's definitely looks I mean just what the eye test, it looks like he's really close to being ready to go, and that would you know, hey, get him out there. He started the year last year, and there's all these this talk about oh hey, Walker Little's practicing it left guard and what happens when Cam comes back he slide automatically. Well, if bart' is fine and he's playing good ball and he's healthy, and that's a moot point, right, well, I mean it could be.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, here's the reality.
Speaker 3: Ben Bartch hasn't played football in a long time, okay, and he's coming back from a pretty significant knee injury that he sustained last year. So just you know, assuming okay, he's back doesn't mean that he's going to be back to form.
Speaker 2: He's got to be able to.
Speaker 3: Get back to playing football and making sure that the leg is strong. And it's not a thought now when you come back from a significant knee injury.
Speaker 2: I had to do it.
Speaker 3: You think you're ready when you're doing all these kind of drills on the side, but then it's the things that you don't think about is where that has to start to come naturally. You know, where your knee and the muscles are all firing without you sitting there going you know, make it fire, make it fire, and being conscious about it. So I mean it's you can't assume that he's going to be back and be one hundred percent. You can't assume that he's going to be back and immediately pick up where he left off before the injury. So there's going to be some work that needs to be put in to get back to that level for him. And uh, you know, could Shatley hold on to it? I mean, I mean that is a possibility. Shatley played really well last year. You know, could you end up having Walker Little moved to left guard? That's all hypothetical. You know, maybe he's playing well enough where he's you're not going to move him. There's just so many different things that you don't know. I think as a coaching staff and as a personnel staff, you just have to let your eyes tell you what you need to do. Some football has to happen, and it hasn't happened yet. It's been a couple of weeks of camp, but all these games kind of change things. But I'm excited for for BArch to get back a couple of reasons. One, I mean, look, it's it's no fun not playing football when you get injured. But if you look at where he started his rookie season to where he was was getting last year. I mean, he had made tremendous improvement. I think the year before I said that he was one of the most improved players that I've seen in a long time in this organization. I thought he did a tremendous job. And so I'm excited for him to get back to playing football because he's still a young player that I think has a He's got a lot of things to help this football team. With three quick things you want to see Saturday go well. Number One, you want to see the team look organized, which I expect nothing less than that from a Doug Peterson coach football team. I want to see a team that plays fast, and I want to see a team that plays tough, because that's what football is. It's a tough game, and they're playing fast and that means they're playing free. And in the first game, that's you want to see organization, playing fast and being tough. And I think if you can accomplish those three things in the first game, it's a great start. Doug Peterson Show coming up in just a couple of minutes, will of course, here plenty from Doug Peterson in his press conference Earlier in the week. We also here from Andre Cisco. I had a chance to catch up with the JAG's third year safety. Really his second year on the field, didn't get much time at all. Obviously in twenty one at the end of the season, he did after there was a coaching change, and he was out there all last year. He has been in the weight room this offseason, logs and looks like a totally different player out there well. And he looked great last year. Yeah, I mean he's but he's just bigger now physically. Last year he was like very in great shape, and this year he looks in great shape as well. And I'm looking for big things from Cisco because the one thing that he has which you don't need a lot of big muscles to do, he's got great ball skills. I mean his ability to make plays on the ball and catch the ball. He might have missed his calling at some point and maybe I don't know exactly which coach made the move to take him away from wide receiver to move him to safety, but I mean he's got great ball skills. And most corners dbs would claim, oh yeah, I could play. They all think they can right until but they can't. Yeah, Cisco, I guarantee you that you could move him and play wide receiver slash tight end because he's a little bigger and he and he's got great hands. You wouldn't worry about him for having many drops. You like these safeties on this team.
Speaker 2: I love them.
Speaker 3: I think I think it's one of the strongest position on the entire football team. Yeah, I mean you got to. You got guys that literally if you lost your frontline guys, you'd feel really good about the second team at both positions being starters for that. Coming up next, Jaguars Radio Network coverage of The Doug Peterson Show. Or thanks to Kay Stevens, Joe Fortunado on the audio side, Brent Reeber on the video for Jeff Logman. I'm JP Shadrick. Thank you for listening to Jaguars Happy Hour.