Speaker 1: I was gonna ask you this later, but I'm gonna ask you now. Are you a horse person?
Speaker 2: I do love horses. I can't say I've been around them like a ton, but yeah, no, I mean I my aunt had some horses, but she lived pretty far so we didn't see her very often. But yeah, I mean I am like, I don't not like them. I'm very intrigued by them, Like I love like Carson Kresley, who I worked with for in Vegas for Dancing with the Stars, is like big in equestrian riding, and I had a couple of friends that were It's very intriguing, but I've never had like an opportunity to really get into horses. I feel like, if that makes sense, what about you a person?
Speaker 1: No, I'm kidding. I'm not a horse person, but I'm married into a very horse family.
Speaker 2: Okay, Like what kind of.
Speaker 1: So my wife competed growing up like a chestrian or what so my wife and daughter My daughter was a nationally ranked jumper. Wow, so she still rides, and I mean she was like, she was very I think she was like four or five in the country when she was twelve. Susan also competed and won many competitions I think in dressage. And then my brother in law and his wife just had the last Olympics. They had a dressage horse that went to the last Olympics. So it's like where they're they're like a horse.
Speaker 2: But that's what like racine or do they like.
Speaker 1: The horse ballet? You know, where they're all are dancing. I could watch that family.
Speaker 2: I could totally get into watching that.
Speaker 1: I really would say. She would bring me to these competitions and my mother in law was the god rest was the sweetest woman in the world, and she loved me and she would sit next to me and go. Watching these things is like watching grass grow because you'd see and it's also it's so niche that it's like we're sitting there and we're watching, having no idea what's happened?
Speaker 2: No idea?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the horse does yeah exactly. The horse does something and the whole crowd goes oh, and we're like, what what just happened? We miss what's going on?
Speaker 2: That's what I mean. I know I could get into like all things, I just have never had the opportunity or someone to really like take me into it.
Speaker 1: So I married into a horse family, and wow, horse people are very much horse people. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's oh yeah, it's like an absolute lifestyle.
Speaker 1: It's a language and it's a fashion style. I mean it's all horses all the time. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Carson Kresley is like, so, I've seen pictures of his house and like just the way his house is decorated, it's fashion, but like there's a lot of equestrian like and horseshoes and you know, things that are like mixed in and it's it's pretty cool though, it's a wild world.
Speaker 1: It's a micro.
Speaker 2: Love to be brought into it. Maybe I need to go to your family's house wherever they're from.
Speaker 1: Oh it's not here, but you can check out all their other ones and see what's up. But anyway, welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses are smart. The wave tsunamis and we knew the movies we were watching. I'm Wilfred Ell and.
Speaker 2: I'm soa bride and you could not be more right like watching today.
Speaker 1: As you can imagine, since we're talking so much about horses, we are obviously talking about double teamed two. This time it's personal. No, I'm kidding. We're gonna get ready for a photo finish because this week on Magical Rewind we're riding side saddle, but not really for a very I'm gonna use it again Niche two thousand horse racing drama ready to run? Okay, do you go horse races? Watch racing? I can't stand horse racing. I'm gonna say that right out loud. It's a horrible world where they treat these horses like and it's absolutely awful. So uh not for me. But what about you? Do you go to horse races?
Speaker 2: I don't go to horse races, but I have been to one.
Speaker 1: I've been to one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been to one. I wore the hat, you know, I do like like eras, right, So I was in like a hat era for the day. I wore the big hat and did the whole thing. We we took the train down to what is it Del Mar or whatever, the one that's towards San Diego.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know the one you're talking about.
Speaker 2: And I've done that. Was there for the social aspect of it. Didn't watch the races very much. With up and down, I loved like putting picking numbers for Jordan. He is one of the luckiest people in the world, a bunch of money, not knowing what he was doing, but he that's just what his that's his thing.
Speaker 1: People are like that, Yeah, he is.
Speaker 2: He's very, very lucky, and so I loved like helping him pick numbers and him trying to figure out the numbers of it. But yeah, I mean I was surprised, Like I was like, wait, do these horses go more than once? That seems very tiring, and like when.
Speaker 1: I start it. Yeah, there's documentaries you can watch that are pretty.
Speaker 2: It's a rough it's a rough world and lots.
Speaker 1: Of drugs, and it's like, oh, the horse didn't do well, let's destroy it. I mean it's like it's not whereas if you look at European horse racing, like there's a documentary that compares a European to American and it's just huh, night and day. Where the Europeans they revere the horses, they treat the horse as well. They're not allowed to run until there are a certain age, they're only around allowed to run a certain amount. I mean, it's like as opposed to hear in the states where it's like run them into the ground, make as much money as you can, then grind him up and move on to the next one. It's really gross.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean in all aspects of like any like high driven sport. I feel like they do that to athletes, like run them into the ground. Who cares, like looking at you know, march madness. I'm like, these kids are these kids are college students, not paying attention to school like nothing, and we're just gonna have them play like every day for like three months or however.
Speaker 1: But not all of them, but a lot of them are gonna go off and make one hundred million dollars and it's what they've wanted to do their whole life. For the prist, no horses really have no choice.
Speaker 2: That's true. True, it is very different in that sense. But I'm just saying, like I just feel like everything gets so like anything in competition world just gets so aggressive so quickly.
Speaker 1: Well, they also, this is one of the things that this film actually addresses that you just talked about a little bit with young athletes, is the age of an athlete when they're should be allowed to compete at a high level. And it's one of those things where that's up for debate. There's people that say, hey, we should be paying high school and college athletes because you know they're gonna blah blah blah and they're doing this, and yeah, but your bodies can get destroyed at a young age. I don't know. It's a weird combination. But anyway, that's not what we're here to talk about. That's a different movie. We're talking about Ready to Run, So let's do fats. Ready to Run debut on July fourteenth in the year two thousand and It includes some interesting names from within the world of comedy, even if for what only seems like a few seconds and for very strange reasons, which makes it even weirder that this movie has been almost completely erased from everyone's memories. We've talked about this before, but when it comes to being a Disney Channel original movie, there are the Brinks, the high school musicals, the Johnny Tsunamis, and then there's the Ready to Runs. So there just isn't a lot of information about this one, but let's get through the very little we do know about it. It was filmed in Auckland, New Zealand, and it was nominated for a Golden Real Award in the field of Best Sound Editing for a TV Movie by the Motion Picture Sound Editors Union. And yes, this is a talking horse movie, though it absolutely feels like that was added at the last minute. Obviously a theme made famous by the legendary show Mister Ed. Did you see Mister Ed? Ever? So, yeah, of course. So it's like Doctor Doolittle, what did you come into this movie knowing it was a talking horse movie or thinking it was a talking horse movie? Or do you just think it was a horse movie?
Speaker 2: Well, I had no idea at all until I saw just what the you know, head front picture is that's on Disney, plus that there was going to be a horse. And then in no way did I know that the horse would be talking. I figured by what it will look like it was like a horse racing movie, like a sea biscuit, right, so that's the same.
Speaker 1: That was it.
Speaker 2: And then the horse starts talking, and I'm like, that was the turn. I didn't think we were going to be taking it. I started talking.
Speaker 1: Like twenty minutes in and then doesn't for a long time.
Speaker 2: It anyway, Yeah, we have I have real questions.
Speaker 1: Yes, we'll get there. Yes, trust me, I think I could assume this answer. But did you know anything about this movie? For sign?
Speaker 2: And then I'm assuming the same for you? Are you Ready to Run? Could have been like somebody who like runs marathons easily?
Speaker 1: Is a kid just wanting to be the first and youngest marathon winner for the Boston Marathon. I mean, it could have been anything.
Speaker 2: It could have been a doctor on the Dixie Chicks and they're ready to Run song. I don't know. I'm not just a.
Speaker 1: Song called ready to I'm not even gonna I'm not going down that rabbit hole. Can't do it, can't do it yet, can't do it? Not filing questions away for later. Well, you can now get associated with Ready to Run just like we are. It is streaming on Disney Plus, so you can watch it now or later pre recap or post recap, or preview or postview or pre Fontaine or post Fontaine. You pick. You choose your own adventure. Turn a page sixty. You want to slay the dragon. Now it's time to dig down deep and find your inner Apologies to all Spanish speakers out there, because I'm gonna butcher this La Confianza de Cabellos. Yeah, okay, well here's the synopsis. Teenager Corey Ortiz discovers she can telepathically communicate with a racehorse named thunder Jam and helps him become a contender on the racetrack. So yes, it has a little bit of similarities with Ring of Endless Light, minus the dolphin at a horse. But I think the thing I took away from this movie is there isn't much talking horse when all is said is done? Am I right? It's just like the Dolphins. It's sort of just kind of a b story that the horse talks, and frankly, it was completely and totally unnecessary to the story.
Speaker 2: I don't Yeah, just I don't know. Well, when I watched the opening credits too, I was like, oh, Sinbad's in here, And then I kept looking for when he was going to join the cast, and I'm like, wait, is he the horses?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 2: One of the I couldn't even then. It made me feel like, I guess I'm not that big of a Sinbad fan, which I kind of thought I was. And I couldn't even recognize his voice. I didn't even know which one he was.
Speaker 1: Was completely and totally unnecessary. Disney, go make a great movie about a young girl who wants to be a jockey. Yes, that would make it very cool.
Speaker 2: I would like it. I think I would like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too. It got muddled. Both Seabiscuit and Secretariat were great movies. Well, beautiful movie.
Speaker 2: Wat This is one of my my Sabrina seas because I was like, when did Seabiscuit come out? Cause I feel like it was close to two thousand and we came out in two thousand and three, So then I was like, well, that's kind of cool that, like Disney Channel again is ahead of the curve, because once Seabiscuit came out, I feel like there were a couple of horse racing type things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the original Seabiscuit, the original movie came out, No, no, no, it came out in two thousand and three, but was also a talking horse movie and Seabiscuit was going to be voiced by Don Delaiz and they decided not to do that. No, I didn't get you all, damn no. No.
Speaker 2: There is original Sea Biscuit that was that came out way earlier. I saw there really when I looked it up. There was like an older version of it. Wasn't the same movie. It was just a different story on Sea Biscuit. Okay anyway, but I was like, this is kind of cool. That was one of my Spreece seas well. There's not very many of them, so there might.
Speaker 1: Be it was. There was no There was no Gensen and Internet season this one either. There's very little information about that.
Speaker 2: I know, I kind of went online because I was started sort of needing to do something.
Speaker 1: I know I watched this movie in nine minute increments. Anyway, all right, here we go. You're ready to run as directed by a very familiar name to Magical rewind, Dwayne Dunham, who I hope we can have on at some point. We've talked about him a bunch in the past. The award winning editor was a frequent David Lynch collaborator, and he edited Star Wars Return of the Jedi and Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. I don't know if you knew this, Sabrina, but the original Star Wars starred Dom de Luiz. Dunham would eventually It's not true either, but Dunham would eventually transition into directing and was behind the camera for d COM's Like Is another Legend, Halloween Town right on Track, Tiger Cruz and the Thirteenth Year. One of the real I mean just the o Geez. I have to argue if we do a director's Mount Rushmore of d Comm's, he'd be up there, up there, of course, the man Kenny Ortega. That's three. We'd have to figure out who number four would because there's been a bunch, but Dwayn Dunham would have to be up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The movie stars Chrissy Perez, who you can also see is sometimes Crystal Perez and sometimes Crystal Poe. The names are it depends on where you look at it. She's the horse talker Cory Ortiz. This was her first job ever in Hollywood, and after this she only appeared on a TV show called The Division and an episode of General Hospital and then that's it. I'm not sure we've ever had any dcoms where the star was only an actor for two years. Kind of cool, just kind of came in, did some stuff and then was like the off. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Jason Doring plays b Moody. Jason is best known for his role in the movie Deep Impact and as Logan on Veronica Mars. He is a TV Vet with a ton of credits including I Zombie, Roswell, Party Down, and Seal Team. He is also the voice of Terra in the American Kingdom Hearts games, and I was in those games as well. I played Cipher. Lillian Hurst is lords Corey's mom. You may recognize hers from Lost, where she was one of the B Team Island Castaways. She was also a regular on Dharma and Greg, True Blood, and the Incredible Lisa Kudrou Show, The Comeback. Nestor Serrano is Hector Machado. They're always working character actors. Srano is in movies like Bringing Out the Dead, The Day After Tomorrow, Bad Boys, and another horse movie. We just talked about Secretariat, starring him and Don de Luiz. I'm kidding. I'm just gonna keep throwing Don Delawiz. But also for all of our listeners out there, like who the Guy? Google them. He also has been on TV shows like Blue Blood's Revenge, Law and Order Er, and a very little known show called True Blue Shot back in New York, starring a very young Wilfridell in his first ever TV appearance, Thank you much, I was eleven years old.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, And.
Speaker 1: Here comes quite a run of comedians and voiceover rolls. All of them are horses. First, Rick to Common is the voice of Cyclone. He appeared in a bunch of classic comedies, including Spaceballs, Groundhog Day, and Sino Man, and the movie he's best known for The Urbs sadly Do. Common died in twenty fifteen at the age of sixty two from complications from diabetes and then comedian Paul Rodriguez is the voice of TJ or thunder Jam. He's one of the eighties and nineties biggest names in stand up, also appearing in movie He's Like a Cinderella Story, Ali rat Race and born in East LA. Nowadays he is known as p Rod's Dad and had to Google that his son has become one of the greatest skateboarders of all time, the first skater with his own Nike shoe. Incredible. And finally, we have Sindbad as the voice of Hollywood Shuffle. Sindbad also one of the eighties biggest names in stand up who then transitioned into acting as one of the stars of The Cosby Show spin off A Different World. He also had his own sitcom, The Sinbad Show, and started movies like necessary roughness, house guests, good Burger jingle all the way and first kid. This is a big get for Disney. But since it's just his voice, he's barely in this movie. He cannot sit in the Dabney Reynolds chair. Sorry, those are the rules. We all know it. Sindbad suffered a stroke in twenty twenty, caused by a blood clot, but is reportedly doing okay in recovery, and many consider it to be a miracle. We're glad he's doing well. He's a very funny guy. But still the thing I'm wondering about how long is ready to run? How many horse lengths? As you know, we hear magical rewind consider ninety minutes to be the perfect length of a movie. Anything else is stupid, and so this one, the horse d com runs ninety six minutes. It's a horrible reality.
Speaker 2: Takes extra minutes, felt like four hours.
Speaker 1: It did, it really did six minutes over the target and just horribly disappointing. I appreciate as much Sinbad as anyone can get, but not hear people not in this movie. Keep it ninety guys, and we have one writer here. The credit goes to John Werick, John was a writer on Step by Step with thirty three episodes to his name, and he has another d comm on his resume. Double Teamed Got some things to say to John. As far as other TV movies, he also wrote Too Legit, the mc hammer Story, and the very serious Matthew Shepherd's Story. Nowadays he writes a lot of Hallmark Christmas movies. So I take you back, I love you John. Put me on Hallmark Christmas movie.
Speaker 2: Put me in one of those I love Christmas movies. It is just so Double Team is just so personal for you now it is.
Speaker 1: I gotta talk to you. I got some things to talk about. I also love that it just pisses off producer Micaelibs.
Speaker 4: I know she's so sweet because it's fun because I'm a little brother and always will be.
Speaker 1: We open in a race track tunnel with horses making their way to the track at Sonora Downs, a beautiful group of animals steered by jockeys, but no horses are talking yet, which is false advertising if you ask me. We see the day's first race begin, fans in the stands excited to cheer on their favorites and announce their credits. Thunder Jam as the heavy favorite, but now the horse doesn't even want to get into the starting gate. Teenager Corey works at the track helping mister Hector Machado with his horses. She's currently guiding one thoroughbred into the starting position and notices the struggling number nine horse, Thunderjam. She expresses her desire to one day be a jockey herself. The horses are finally locked away and boom away we go, and as one would have assumed, Thunderjam is still in the gate even a few minutes later. What a bust. Eventually he starts the race, but the horse is still bucking and nowhere near in competition. Eventually, in the last leg a traffic jam caused is another horse, Mandalay Bride, who we will refer to as Mandalay Bay sometimes and mandale Bride other times. Doesn't matter. To smash into the gate and go down. Luckily, the horse is quick to get up, as is the jockey. We so far have Mandalay Bay see cyclone and thunder Jam. Sabrina, if you had a racehorse, what are you naming your racehorse? Oh my god, top of your head, quick, don't even think what's name?
Speaker 2: Come on, oh, racehorse, racehorse. Uh try something like lightning something.
Speaker 1: Oh really, you wouldn't make it personal. Wouldn't be like dough the cheetah or something like that.
Speaker 2: Cheetah lightning, Cheetah lightning.
Speaker 1: There you go. I love that Mine would be boy Meet's last place. I think that'd be the best one they could possibly do. Uh. No, be plays with horses. That's what'd be. After plays with squirrels from Boymans for ol, they'd be plays with horses.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: We are now back at the stables. Corey is talking to mister Machado about the race and begging him for a chance to jockey, but he thinks it's just too dangerous. She worked for him the last two years and swear she knows everything that's needed from her, but he's not changing his mind yet. Meanwhile, Mandalay Bride's owner, mister Garris, is with a nurse who says the horse will never race again. She suggests making her a riding pony, but the jerk just wants to put the horse down because it can't race. He walks away, and this guy is such an I was hoping somebody just beat him over the head with a bat he's a horrible, horrible We could hope this guy was because again, I have a real problem and I didn't have a problem with it really before I got married, but Sue has a huge problem with any kind of movie or anything where animals are hurt. And it never bothered me before just because it's fake. You know, I know it's movies and it's movie. Maybe I just that's where my head goes. But it's starting to bother me the older I'm getting. And so a movie where they're openly talking about just let's kill this horse and grind it up and horses are flipping over it. This movie freaked me out a little bit.
Speaker 2: It was just it was very off putting. It was it was it was literally, I didn't this is like another one of the very cut, cut up the horse to meet like that said, actual said, and it felt weird. Yeah, you're rightfully of.
Speaker 1: Those moments where I was just like ew yeah. But anyway, mister Machatta swings by, still talking to Corey about her future in racing. He suggests she gets her mom's permission and then come back to him. He stops to talk to the nurse and finds out Garris wants to put Mandalay Bride down and assumes it's just for the insurance money. You can't get paid if the horse is still alive. Meanwhile, thunder Jam's jockey is complaining he'll never ride that pathetic horse again. It doesn't care what mister Michatdo thinks about it. He walks out, leaving Corey to pick up the pieces. She talks with thunder Jam, giving him words of encouragement. He still doesn't answer. Mister Michatdo overhears her and laughs at the optimism. He knows that Thoroughbread needs more heart. Corey isn't ready to give up on TJ just yet and is devastated to hear what's gonna happen at Mandalai Bride. Corey thinks there has to be something they can do, but her boss reminds her Mandalay Bride isn't their problem now. Back at Corey's house, her brother Gabby is watching a horse race on TV with her underwear ondd as a helmet. He's pretending to be a jockey. Corey's Abulita, is that right? Lord's I think I'm saying that right. Abolita Lords is watching as well and betting with toothpicks. She's already down two thousand. Now. In her room, Corey puts her money in a box and pulls out a pamphlet for Sonora Holmes and a photo of her dad, a former jockey. She looks at it with sadness in her eyes and says, I won't let you down, Dad. At the dinner table, Corey and her mom talk about her losing day at the track. Sonia tells Corey that Hector Maachado is a good man and God will reward him at some point. Abolita Lords says she was a good woman, but her luck still stinks, and Sonya reminds her that God will reward her with grandchildren, but Lord says she would trade them for a winning horse. A man's sister, says the guy with no kids. Corey sees her opening and mentions that she's been thinking about getting a new job, becoming a jockey. Her mom quickly tells her she won't allow it. Sonia lists some of the other career paths that Corey should look into, like being a doctor or a teacher, but Corey just wants to be a jockey. The answer is no, and that's final. Corey insays she can be anything she wants, it's what she learn from her dad. But then her mom reminds her all her dad got from being a jockey was a nice headstone about to cry. So Sonya asked Corey if she wants to break her heart again, and ladies and gentlemen, it's official. We have a dead dad. Corey storms off to her room and Abulita Lord's points out the similarities that Corey has with her dad, but Sony isn't hearing it. Lord's wonders out loud, what if she has the gift? And this is the first time we're hearing about it. Now in Corey's room, she's laying in her bed, watching her mobile of glass figures glisten in the moonlight. The crystal horse specifically catches her eye. After peeking out her window at the stables across the street, she decides to sneak out because the horse looks like a you know, what do you call it? A pegasus? You know, the a winged horse. So that's what the guy said. The only word's gonna got off a girl's wings. Still in her pajamas, but now with the horses, Corey tells Mandalay Bride that everything will be okay and she won't let anyone hurt her, then guides her out of the stables. Corey takes the halter off the horse, saying it's for her own good, and with that, the horse takes off into the night, giving one last buck and nay as a thank you. Then we're back in the stables and the horses start talking to each other. It's begun people. They all seem very happy for Mandelay Bride. When Corey comes back in, the horses get instantly quiet, but she heard the whispering. She's scared, thinks someone might be in the stables. She starts walking back to her room. Thunder Jen speaks story again and tells her she did a very brave thing. Corey obviously startled wonders who said that. Thunder Jem tells her I did me, tj. Corey assumes she's going crazy, and frankly, I don't blame her. The entire effect of the horse talking this movie is weird. It's just their head kind of moving and you hear a voice. It's like it's nothing. Was that weird to you? I mean, it wasn't like it's weird.
Speaker 2: Because now, like the animation that they can add to act like the animals in movies is so good that it's weird to see what it was like before they could do that.
Speaker 1: But even Ed they would fill the horse's mouth with peanut butter, so even the mouth moved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I feel like that was like an old school way of doing it, and it didn't actually ever look like the horse was actually really talking. When mister Ed did.
Speaker 1: That, he was just like, this is weird. Well, first of all, don't don't denigrate peanut butter, because I will I will talk for anybody for peanut butter. It's brilliant.
Speaker 2: No, I'm I love peanut butter. But I'm saying it never really looked like it was actually talking. So it's kind of like what's the worst, Like, what what's the better evil in this situation? Yeah, and was great because now, especially like looking at like a movie like The Lion King that they can do where it's all the animals they all look talking, it's like, it's so good. It's weird to now look back. And I just took it as that it's like dated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, it was two thousand, cour it just looked like it was added at the end, like let's just make the horses come.
Speaker 2: Yes, it actually did once we Once you said that, I was like, it really actually did look like it.
Speaker 1: Was like they just like something that was thought.
Speaker 2: Of ahead of times, like this is missing something. Her just talking, but we I would prefer this than the dog that was supposed to be talking to him, and we can never underhear who what he was saying.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah that for uh, the one with Kirk Cameron. Yeah, yes, I prefer this than that.
Speaker 2: I prefer this than that, because that was that.
Speaker 1: Was prefer anything to that. Corey doesn't believe she's actually talking to a horse. She thinks maybe the fumes are getting to her head. What fumes make you think horses are talking to you? Because I want some. The next day, back at the stables, one of mister Garrison's employees is talking to a prospective horse killer who drove through the night to pick up Mandalay Bride, but now they have no idea where the animal is. The man threatens to tell mister Garris unless he can find him. Corey overhears this, and mister Machatto asks if she's seen the missing horse. She gets nervous, and you can tell Machado's actually very impressed. Joking, Mandalay probably just grew wings and flew away. Later that day, Corey is washing one of the horses when a talkative, smooth talker named mister Flanagan and a boy in a very theatrical cowboy outfit arrive. Flannagan leaves to see mister Machado, and the boy starts putting on a lasso show, clearly to impress Corey. In the stables, mister Flanagan tries to sell Machado on a new impressive jockey he's wrapped, named Bee Moody, but mister Michatdo's not interested. Mister Flanagan insists, mister Machatdo, look at what the boy can do, and when we realize they're talking about that weird lasso kid outside, that's where we're like, whoa. Even after seeing b Moody dance her out of the rope, mister Michado's still uninterested, suggesting they try the rodeo. Mister Flanagan wonders, you don't need a new jockey. You don't need a new jockey, or you can't afford one. Ooh, harsh. Mister Flanagan reminds him that it's been two years. If he doesn't get a win soon, he'll lose the barn. Knowing he's right, mister Macchado asked what kind of experience b Moody actually has. He was apparently born in the saddle and has experience in Florida at the Ringling Brothers barnman Bailey Circus. He's a circus rider, not a horse racer. Machado slightly offended, but Flanagan wants to know if they have a deal, and instead of taking you up on the offer, he threatens Flannagan with a giant needle. Back. At the racetrack, it's another big day and Lord says joined Corey to scout some of the day's entries. She likes one horse named Juicy Fruity because of his name. Corey tells her Abulita that Juicy Fruity is a terrible bet. He's worn out. Lord said, She'll still put two hundred toothpicks on Juicy Fruity? Did you get the toothpicks? Sing?
Speaker 2: It was just her bet, but at all it was one of my Sabrinas sees too of like what am I missing that I don't understand this toothpick sich jar of toothpicks, that this lady takes everywhere I.
Speaker 1: Know, I didn't. I didn't get it either. Corey wonders if Lord thinks horses can talk, which is quite a random question to ask out of nowhere, but without hesitation, Lord says, of course they do. Corey clarifies that she meant if horses could talk to humans in English. Lords wonders if she's trying to tell her Abbeli to something. Corey's about to reveal what happened the other night, but then reminds herself that horses do not talk. As it Confused, Corey is about to leave. Lord speaks up. They call it, and again I'm apologies. They call it la confianza de by, La confianza deca bios, the confidence of horses. Lord says that many generations of their family have had this special bond with horses, and this, to me is the story. And you don't need the talking horse. It's just a connection with an animal that is like this spiritual connection with it. You didn't need to have then voiceover of other things. Just do a beautiful horse story about this girl and this horse that have this connection that she learns to ride. That would have been a great movie, but I don't know, just got muddled. Yeah, it was really strange, but not Lord's because if they spoke to her, she wouldn't lose so many toothpicks. Who's she betting against? I don't get it. Lord says that horses only tell their secrets to worthy people like Corey's dad. He had the gift. Then the bugle is played, thank you, it's time for the races. Corey rushes off to her job. That was me, by the way, not an awesome bugle guy sitting in my hot booth of me. At the starting gate, the horses are lining up, and holy they're all talking again. One is repeating they think they can over and over and over again, while Hollywood shuffle is his confidence can be. There's really no connection between the voiceovers at all and what we're seeing. It's almost not needed in the movie at all. It just feels like the actors are rushing to all the words. It's really strange. Corey here's the horse is chatting again and asks Pete, the guy at the starting gate, if he hears anything. Pete laughs and assumes she's on LSD. Now in the bleachers, mister Garris tells Machado that every race needs a loser and that's why Machado was invited. These two clearly have some tension. Garris says he wants to buy his horse barn for extra stalls, but mister Machado assures Garris that his barn is not for sale. Garris adds yet, Garris remembers the old mister Machado and how he used to be dedicated to building a champion. What happened to that guy? Machado says he knows what it was, and Garris tells him to get over himself. Accidents happen, so obviously there's something there. Garris walks away, but not before inviting Machado to the winner circle later so he can show him around, since he'll never get down there himself. Ooh. After the race is back at the stables, Garris complains to his employee that he's dumping his horse, thunder Jam. He got stuck in the starting gate and is now embarrassed by him again, but mc affrey reminds him insurance doesn't work that way. While Garris steps into a pile of horse dung, which they make like it's the worst thing in the world. But apparently if that actually happens, it's good luck. If it happens by accident in a horse stable, it's good luck. Corey sees it and laughs. But now a frustrated Garrison insists this horse is out of his life. He doesn't care if he's shot, grind it into dog food, or sold for peanuts, and again it's just like gross. Seeing an opportunity, Corey jumps up. She'll take thunder Jam, and coincidentally she has a bag of peanuts. She hands on the bag and now officially Thunderjam is hers. And I want the record to show that per law, this could never happen. You can't just sell a horse for peanuts. There's been no paperwork, nothing. This is just not a thing. And I was just waiting for that moment in the movie later where the horse starts to win and the guy's like, it's my horse. You gave me peanuts. We didn't sign anything, like. I was waiting for that.
Speaker 2: Moment, and it just never came true. True.
Speaker 1: Still thought that was gonna come. Corey tells thunder Jam not to listen to the hater, He's not a loser. We cut to a diner, Little Gabby, Corey's brother runs in and tell his mom, Sonya, who's working as a waitress, that she needs to come out and see something. It's Corey. She bought a horse over at the stables. Corey is so excited, going on and on about how they're are dream team and she'll one day buy her mom the house she's always wanted. But right on cue, Sonya storms in and tells Corey to just give it back. Corey wine, she can't return thunder Jam, they'll kill him, but Sonya puts her foot down. She can barely take care of her family, let alone a horse. But which is It's true?
Speaker 2: Super so expensive?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: That's what makes I think the whole joke of like when little girls say I want a pony for my birthday, and it's like, not only is the like initial cost very expensive, but like the upkeep, yeah, but Julians where you keep it and all that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so very very expensive. Hobby or sport, depending on how into it you are. But Corey promises there she'll take care of TJ. Mister Machatda then chimes in the horse can stay in stalls if it's okay with Sonya, but the answer is still no. Corey tries to explain that thunder Jam can pay his own way in race winnings, something mister Machatto says is actually possible. Sonya still isn't sold, but mister Machatda assures her even if thunder Jam doesn't win, he can still live at the barn. Sonya agrees for now, and Corey is elated. Now in Corey's bedroom before bed, Sonya reminds her daughter that having a horse does not make her a jockey, and if she catches Corey on any horse in a race, including thunder Jam, she's gonna give it away herself. The next morning, at the stables, Corey arrives to wish thunder Jam a good morning. Then Thunderjam responds, he yawns and says good morning back, completely shocking Corey. She stares deep into his eyes, what the hell is going on? She gets a jump scare when the horse jokingly says boo. Shej keeps talking to her and she can't believe what she's hearing. She realizes she probably has the gift like her dad and Thunderjam admits he stinks at racing, but she's ready to coach him. Just then, mister Machado walks in and Corey pretends she wasn't talking to a horse by letting him know she was not talking to a horse, which is definitely something someone who was talking to a horse would say. Thunderjam reveals to Corey that she's the only one that can hear him. He yells at mister Machado, hey, you goat face, but no reaction. Corey repeats goat face, mostly in confusion, and mister Machatdo is offended. Corey blames thunder Jam, and now mister Richatto's wonders if she's mentally ill. Corey admits she's not sure and says she's talking to Thunderjam on a workout, but mister Mitchatto says that won't be necessary. Thunder Jam will not be racing again. He's a plug, not a race horse, and I assume a plug means a non raceable horse. Thunder Jam scoffs plug is a little strong. Corey is confused, though mister Michatdo said thunder Jam could pay his way with his winnings, but he admits he only said that to her mom so that she could keep the horse. Corey still wants to at least exercise him, and mister Mitchatdo says that's fine, just be careful. Now. On the practice track, Corey is riding Thunderjam around the circle. He's pretty slow, and he eventually comes to a screeching halt when he's scared by an ugly dog and almost completely knocking Corey off the horse. Thunder Jam takes off running for the dog, and mister Mitchatda notices how fast the horse is actually running. He gets out his timer and is beyond impressed. Mister Michatdo tells Corey Thunderjam might be a race horse after all. Corey is so happy and wants to know when they can start training her, and her boss says, as soon as we find a jockey. Corey's not phazed. She tells him me, me, you're looking at her. Mister mcchatdow reminds Corey that she knows better than that, but Corey doesn't get it. If not me, then who? We quickly cut to the cowboy rodeo kid b Moody standing up while riding thunder Jam, dancing around like a main performer in the circus. Corey admits that Bee Moody is obviously performer, but he's not a jockey. Mister Michado swears as a jockey in there somewhere, he just needs some help. Once b Moody is done with the first ride, both Corey and TJ are a little bit annoyed. Mister Macchatdo tells the kid to not take it personally. Corey's just jealous, and just like that, B Moody gets the job because he's a man. He jumps up to celebrate, eventually hugging and kissing the horse, to which thunder Jam says, ew yuck. And it's like okay, I guess she's not allowed to ride, but okay, anyway, we're back at the stables. Mister Macchatdo looks through thunder Jam's file and notices his father won the Kentucky Derby, so he's got an impressive bloodline. Corey wonders what's wrong with TJ then, and mister Machado assumes that Garris random way too often. Good news is Machado's optimistic They can turn Thunderjam back into a good race horse, but he'll Corey's help even if she won't be the jockey. It's not ideal, but of course wants to help because it's her horse. So the team is set now on the practice track. They're working to get TJ into a gate. He's still pulling away and yelling to Corey he's scared. Eventually they do get him in a position with b Moody riding him. After multiple tries opening the gates, thunder Jam just goes nowhere. On the third try, Thunderjam throws be Moody into the dirt, announcing always wear a seatbelt. Mister Machado admits this is gonna take a while. I'm gonna stop real quick. So I'm just curious where was your head during this part of the film. Were you were you in at this park? Did you were you getting the movie?
Speaker 2: I was getting it. It just was kind of like, h like it was just kind of mediocre for me at this point. It wasn't it all. I didn't hate it. Yeah, I completely I could understand. I agree with you about the like the horse stuff, even like when he went ill yack, like it was just kind of like it just a lot of it was just not necessary. So it's kind of at this point, just like we just hit a flat line.
Speaker 1: I can see watching I could completely see why this movie is was just forgettable. Yeah, that was the thing. It was like, I just I was like, I understand why nobody kind of right, and.
Speaker 2: It made sense to me when I looked and saw that it was made in the two thousands, Like it was made in two thousands. It was made before they found that perfect like remedy that like before the Banks.
Speaker 1: After the Breaks, and before the Cheetah Girls. That kind of that weird the two thousand and one kind of just.
Speaker 2: The they were kind of throwing, you know, things at a wall and seeing what's stuck, not necessarily had that perfect formula that they found later on.
Speaker 1: I agree with you one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We are now at the diner. Machado gets a cup of coffee from Sonia and she thanks him for keeping Corey's horse in the barn. Sonya insists on giving mister Machatdo coffee on the house and encourages him to stop working too much, maybe he'll meet somebody. Mister Machado encourages only to do the same, but she says it's different because she has a family to provide for mister Shatto has no excuse. He does start to hint that there is someone he has an interest in. Sonya wonders two legs or four? Machado laughs, it's very much a woman, and she is wonderful. He fell in love at first sight, with obvious tension now between them, So Sonya asks what's up with this wonderful woman?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 1: And he gets flustered and rushes off to check on thunder Jam, a real missed connection at the stables. Corey's letting Thunderjam have it. What is his problem? She reminds her horse that the first rule of racing is that you can't win if you don't leave the starting gate. Thunder Jam reminds her you can't win with him period. He's too old. It's time to put him out to stud Corey changes her tune, Hey, maybe TJ's right. We quickly cut to a kid's party with balloons, train rides, and bouncy houses. Corey is walking TJ in a circle with a little kid in his back, but thunder Jam is disappointed. He expected more studs at this stud farm, but this isn't a stud farm. He can't even get into a stud farm. He's not a stud. She warns him, you better start trying or pony rides are his future. Back at Machado's, TJ gets into the starting gate and finally takes off perfectly. The team is thrilled, and then we get a little monto and normally I love a montage, but it's just a montage where TJ even outruns Hollywood Dream. The next day, at Corey's house, B Moody tries on different uniforms in front of lords mister Machado and Corey. While looking for his jockey look. He tries a dozen different vibes, from Midlife, Elvis to Matador. He eventually lands on a shiny red number with musical notes printed, and everyone loves it. Machado then visits Pete, the man in charge of setting races at the track, but he wasn't impressed with thunder Jam's past performances. Races are for race horses. Mister Machado promises that thunder Jam was just in the wrong races. Corey and B Moody got him ready. This does not impress Pete Moody as a circus rider, not a jockey, and now he has a kid as a trainer, Thunderjam is just a waste of time, but mister Machado won't take no for an answer. He points to a picture of a horse on Pete's wall. He trained that champ and when he first got him, he wouldn't cross the street. But eventually mister Machado got him to be the best horse the track has ever seen. He begs for a chance, and Pete says he'll see what he can do. Back on the track, Corey is yelling out advice to Moody, but he can't hear her. He's wearing headphones, listening in music. It helps him become one with the horse. It helps him to feel the rhythms, whether it's Pearl Jam or the Chili Peppers, who said whether it's Pearl Jam or the Chili Peppers, who he says, is a band who can quote unquote crank. We enter another montage now with Corey and b Moody trading Thunderjam over a motivational rock song. And this is where I loved, where he could talk about all these bands. It's like it's led Zeppelin, it's Pearl Jam, It's the greatest. And then they cut to the most generic like we're rock band singing in a battle horse.
Speaker 2: So it's like, okay, oh man, you couldn't be more right. It was like just the style of the music in the score changed. Yes, so many different times, Yes, so many. We had like a sort of ska band at one point when they were racing, like it just was.
Speaker 1: It was weird. It was it was strange musically.
Speaker 2: It was again like it was like they didn't know what kind of music needed to be in this specific movie. They didn't have the formula.
Speaker 1: Right, you're right.
Speaker 2: They tried to pull in what they've done with Brink, where it was more of that like ska band skater stuff. It's like, this is a worse movie and they could doesn't go.
Speaker 1: Here, don't don't actually reference real bands and say like it's Pearl Jam, it's Chili Peppers, and then do that just be like, oh, it's rock and roll. It's just the beat gets me going. So then when you just hear rock and roll music as opposed to somebody right, yes, I got you the best Christmas present in the world, and then it sucks. So it's like, okay, you're not helping me out, right, So then we enter another montage now with Corey and B Moody training thunder Jam over a motivational rock song. I'm putting motivational on quotes. Corey loves wearing the headphones now too. At the diner, Machado's back getting coffee. This guy drinks a lot of coffee because he's kind of trying to get a little bit of love and chatting with Sonya. When B. Moody and Corey come running in. They want to know when TJ will get a shot. The kids think the horse is ready, and their boss reveals this weekend and the number seven horse will be thunder jam Be. Moody thinks, ah Man, somebody stole their horse's name, but eventually he figures it out, and that might have been the funniest part of the movie. That night, Machado and Corey are scouting their opponent's tapes, learning their big moves. Garris apparently has a real stud with Cyclone and they need to keep TJ away from him. Corey wants to know the deal with mister Garris. Machado calls it a friendly rivalry, but it's obviously so much more than that. Machado admits he used to work for Garris when he was young, it was his chance to train a champ and they had a falling out over a colt. It was a great horse, but the morning of the race, Machado noticed an injured hoof, but since the vet missed it, Garris wanted to race him anyway, so Machado quit. He tried to warn the jockey, but it was too late. Near the end of the race, the horse went over the rail and crashed out. Corey realizes that was her dad. That was the race that killed him. Machado says, her dad was a good man and a great rider. He knew what to do and when to do it. He even used to say he knew what the horses were saying. Oh sound familiar. Sonya arrives with some food and coffee. She says, Machado did what he could do to stop the accident. It wasn't at all his fault. She hopes they find a way to win, and Corey begs her mom to come to the race, but she has too many memories there maybe another time. Now in the track, races have already begun and Corey is bringing b. Moody now in his uniform and TJ to the gate, while Machado waits, he exchanges words. As thunderjm enters the starting position, he tells Corey he feels perfect, almost like he has wings. Some of the other horses are already talking trash though with this cool guy Cyclone calling TJ thunder Jerk. Unfortunately, just so it looks like the horse is a bully too. He can't even avoid bullies in the horse world, No, Unfortunately, just before the race, TJ starts to have some doubts. In a fun plot point moment, as Corey is talking to the horse, b Moody is wearing his headphones so we can't really hear them. Corey gives her long shot horse some last minute words of encouragement and gets him to the gate. Right before the race, we see Abulita and Corey's brother in the crowd, and just before the starting flag, Corey has an idea. She places the headphones on TJ's ears and he's now blocking out his thoughts with some again generic kind of pop punk music, and it's worked. He's hot out of the gate and in the lead. TJ is finally showing off his pedigree in the end. Just before the finish line, Cyclone gives TJ a little push injuring him and stopping the horse dead in his tracks. Machado and Corey run out from the stands to help. The nurse gets there a few seconds later, and they all work on his calf back in the stalls. The nurse diagnosed him with just some tendon swelling. There's no real damage. All he's gonna need is some rest, but it was quite a scare. Corey decides to stay with him, and she ends up talking to the horse about everything. TJ thinks he let her down, but she insists he ran great. He liked the music. It suedhim and got him in the groove. But while they're chatting and laughing, Sonia walks in undetected and realizes Corey has the same gift as her husband. The next morning, at the stables, Corey is still working on TJ's calf when Machado arrives. B Moody comes running in with the newspaper thunder Jam is on the cover. You just love the name, huh, be Moody, Be Moody. That's all right, I'm gonna say it every time. Be Moody comes running in with his newspaper. Thunder Jam's on the cover. The sports page for his heroic attempt. So he made the cover because he didn't finish the race.
Speaker 2: I think yeah, I mean because phones No, I think it was because like he was like a new up and comer, you know how they would kind of talk about like, oh, someone knew has entered the race, you know kind of thing. Even though he didn't end up winning, he did really, really well and no one had even heard of this horse because he But.
Speaker 1: He didn't do well because he didn't finish, But.
Speaker 2: He didn't do well towards the end. At one point he was leading, leading most of the time.
Speaker 1: But he's still a DNF. He's still dropped anyway. But you're right, and now they have to rehab him for his next big race. Not only is he winning some qualifiers, but Corey's figure out exactly what music he likes. We get another montage now, with thunder Jam winning race after race and newspapers even calling him a possible Derby contender. The only person not celebrating is Garris. He should have gotten two bags of peanuts. Later, the track holds a little party for the teams and Sonya actually comes. She tells Machadou how great he's been with Corey, and it's so thankful for everything he's done for her. And in a moment of connection, he wonders if the woman he spoke about the other day, the one he's always liked, would want to dance with him. That's when she smiles. He turns around, grabs another woman and says, meet her. This is the woman I've been in love. I'm kidding, That's not what happens at all. They start to dance, and finally, this relationship between a woman and her dead husband's best friend is on. Eventually, the track manager takes the mic and talks about how incredible thunder Jam has been for business. He admits he was wrong about TJ and praises the team. He calls up the Sonora Downs owner, who announces he submitted TJ to a RaSE the gold Rush Derby, but the derby's in two days. Machato isn't sure he can do this, but when pressured with the opportunity, he reluctantly says yes. But Garris is furious. He says the gold Rush Derby is for five hundred thousand dollars and thunder Jam doesn't deserve it. Cyclone does, so turns out they're both gonna compete. Machado and Sonya go back to slow dancing with romantic mariachi music, while Corey and Be Moody talk about the derby. She says she's excited, but Be Moody wonders if Kay just doing it for you. I'm just doing it for you, wonders if she's mad and she can't race it herself. At first, she doesn't understand, but eventually realizes she wishes she had the shot. Be Moody, I'll just say it like that, tells her she's a great Bee Moody tells her she's a great rider and understands what it's like not to get a chance that you deserve. And then she reveals the big secret. She can talk to horses and they can talk to her. Weird reveal right away, But also, did you see did you think there was gonna be some kind of a romantic something or the other between these two or did you not think that was gonna happen between between.
Speaker 2: Bee mood Cory and Be Moody, Corey and R and Bee Moody. I kind of did, it seemed like, but it was like, at this point, we have so many offset input things. I was like sort of like relieved, relieve that there wasn't another thing I had to keep track of at this point, like I'm a little tapped out with like how many things I've got to?
Speaker 1: Like, I remember, He'll try to figure out what the Aboalita is betting on with toothpicks.
Speaker 2: Ye, she's still taking that jar of tooth picks around everywhere that I'm just like, I just I'm kind of glad that this isn't something I'm having to say attention too much.
Speaker 1: I agree. I couldn't agree with you more. At the same time, Evil Garris enters the stable and I was like, where's this. I was like, I'm gonna shut this off if he's gonna arm the horse and shut out seriously, Uh enters thissable to see TJ. He admits that maybe the horse is worth more than a bag of peanuts after all, but no one makes a fool of them. He ashes his cigar in the hay and leaves it quickly catches fire, and of course this isn't good. TJ starts freaking out and yelling, and Corey senses something is wrong and the barn starts to burn down. Thunder Jam doesn't know what to do. By the time Corey and b Moody get there, things have gotten pretty serious. Moody rushes to get TJ out while Corey tends to the other animals. Machado arrives and helps. Just as he sees the horse is literally on fire. His his blanket is on fire.
Speaker 2: Yes and so or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Moody grabs the grabs the blanket and badly burns his hands, and I was like, what the is this movie? At this point, I was like, what is actually happening? So he throws it off, but seriously exactly.
Speaker 2: It was like, oh he burned his hands, now he can't ride.
Speaker 1: I knew where they were going. He's like, god, it was It's like, now they're going to burn the horses alive? What is this crazy nightmare of a film? Oh? So yeah, he throws it off and seriously burns himself. Machada pulls Moody and TJ to safety, and the firefighters then tend to Moody. Paramedics have now fully wrapped Moody's hands. He has some very serious burns, and everyone realizes he won't be able to race. Sonya is adamant that they drop out of the derby. It's too late for a backup jockey unless Corey steps up. She begs her mom for the chance. Machado says it's up to her mom, who tells her she's not ready. It turns into a big fight, but the whole family knows that she was born for this. Corey rushes off to the empty racetrack just to think, and it's eventually joined by her mom Sonya knows how hard her daughter worked, but if she learned anything from her late husband's death, it's that nothing is ever really over. She sees a lot of him and Corey. She knows she has her father's gift and has tried to ignore it, but she can't ny more. She doesn't want to stand in the way of that gift. With that, she hands Corey her father's racing suit. He would want her to wear it in the derby. She has permission to ride, and now Machado and Moody are waiting for her in the barn. The gang is packed up and ready for the drive, ready to leave for the derby, and they make sure they have the disc men the one that they obviously put on to TJ's ears, so he can run the race. Corey and TJ talk too. He swears she has everything she needs to win and he'll take care of her. The whole family's going and even the townsfolk have come out to see them off. We get yet another drive, another driving montage, definitely the nineteenth montage. We don't need it specifically since this movie six minutes over ninety, but whatever. When they arrive, TJ immediately complains he needs a pit stop. He's had to pee the whole way. There's a lot of horse peeing jokes in this movie. Pee and poop, pee and poop in the lot.
Speaker 2: That's the thing to get little kids just cracking up.
Speaker 1: Pe It is God, how many peas and poops are we gonna rate this movie. In the lock her room, Corey tries on her dad's uniform and it looks great. And now the horses are getting into place. Everyone back home is watching on TV, and even the other horses are rounding each other up to watch. They don't want to miss it. But bad news at the track. It's been ruled that TJ cannot use his trademark headphones in the race. It's a serious setback, and Machotto is furious and guests who filed the original complaint. That's right, that's Garris. So now they must decide if it's still worth racing. Machado asks Corey, who in turn asks thunder Jam. The horse says they've worked too hard and they've come too far to quit. In turn, Corey announces, let's ride. They have some strategy talk about Cyclone and his dirty nature, and then they make their way to the starting gate. Machado and Garris have a little of their signature trash talk, but more than anything, everyone's ready for the big race. Cyclone tells Corey and Thunderjam they're going down. Just as the flag goes up and they are off. Thunderjam has some trouble out of the gate and now is in last place. Cyclone is a lead, and things look pretty dismal for TJ. But then be Moody has an idea. He rushes the discman to the PA announcer and blasts the song over the loudspeaker. The crowd goes wild, and Thunderjam feeds off the energy. The terrible song is the motivation he needed, and is a terrible song. He gains ground at record speed. Cyclone is finally in his sights. It's a barn burner, which is a horrible way to put it after what just happened. As they come down the stretch, TJ hones in on cyclone, right where he was injured last time, but instead the two horses go back and forth with the lead. As they passed the finish line, TJ and Corey remember all they have to do is believe in themselves. It's a photo finish, and Thunderjam wins with a final spurt. Everyone celebrates as it's announced that her father was champion and now she is two. The horses back home are thrilled, and so is their entire town. The family celebrates in the winter circle. As Machado is finally handed a trophy, Corey holds it over her head for one final picture. We cut to a new construction on a house, with the picture now hanging on a piece of wood. It seems they've made enough money to build that house that she's always wanted to get her mom. Which is quite a big horse race win, I guess, but hey, it's possible. They said it was five hundred thousand dollars, right, but I mean you split that among the horses. But she probably won some good money, and they showed him winning races before, so she's been saving. Moody is blasting music over the stables, which is super annoying, and now he's a DJ using music to not only exercise thunder Jam, but all the horses together. And thankfully that's our film, Sabrina. Can we do some real reviews?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Who?
Speaker 2: All right? Mine's the five star today.
Speaker 4: By Ali La La all la a l l a y. Before C Biscuit, there was TJ from Ready to Run.
Speaker 2: It had to be my favorite horse racing movie, but Disney Channel has stopped showing it a lot, so I haven't seen it in a while. Though the talking horse and listening to music while racing was not that creative. It has great music, pretty horses.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I have the it's a five star review.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know about that. I know if I agree with you, laay Bal, I have the one star. It's from Brandy.
Speaker 1: I'm kidding, that's Brandy f and it reads dustly oh man. I am embarrassed for Jason d Ring for this movie. His character is super cheesy, like so many Disney movies. It starts off fine and then goes off the deep end. It can't just be a movie about a girl who wants to be a jockey and is especially talented at it. It has to turn into a talking horse movie. Also, even by two thousand and one standards, five dollars seems way too low for a day of working with horses. I'm trying to think of something nice to say about the movie One.
Speaker 2: Star, kind of right there with you, Brandy.
Speaker 1: I don't know about one star, but wow, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know about well when it's only five one to five?
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe I don't know. And now we come to Sabrina's favorite part of our program, which is the feature presentation, and we are back Sabrina to one we have played several times before. When it comes to world, this is hang four, an old favorite, our most repeated game. We've played with Teen Beach Movie and motocrossed. Really, any sport film where there are teams we don't understand will be given a word from horse racing with multiple choice answers, and we have to pick which is the correct definition. Why do we play with Teen Beach Movie? Oh? I guess it was surfing, that's right, But then why wouldn't we have played that with Johnny Tsunami because he didn't surf. Okay anyway, I'm off on a tangent. We have to pick the correct definition. Per the website Saratoga Racetrack dot com, that old chestnut three out of side educational, I too, So here we go. Number Who are we playing with today? By the way, it's me Tara, Hey, hi, producer. Here we go. By the way, I don't want to embarrass Tar, but this was her favorite dcom of all times. It's not okay, so here we go. Number one. Ac deocey is that a a term given to horses trading first place back and forth. B when one owner has a horse finish in both first and second place see uneven stirrups on a jockey or d used for when a horse wins my more than seven horse lengths. Ac deucy.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with B.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't agree with you, but I kind of do it. Does it? Does hurt?
Speaker 2: Agree with you because you're always wrong, not always, just most of the time.
Speaker 1: You're probably in the low eighties. But I am gonna agree with you. I'm gonna say B when finish both first and second place.
Speaker 2: Because AC doucy seems like one. T.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you're both wrong. It's it's c even and even stirrups on a jockey. Okay. Number two hot walker, which I'm sorry sounds like a weird sex thing when a horse looks like, oh man, did you give you a hot walker? When C you don't even know what it is, it's still weird, right, am I wrong? Doesn't it doesn't it You don't even have to know what it is. It just sounds wrong. Exactly. Turn red A when a horse looks like a winner on their way to the starting gate. B a person who walks a horse after a race to cool them down. C a horse who has placed in more than five races in a row. Or D a stud who has impregnated more than two horses. I'll go first this time. I think it's B.
Speaker 2: I think it is.
Speaker 1: I think it's a person who walks a horse after a race to cool them down.
Speaker 2: The answer is B, Hey.
Speaker 1: We got one. There we go.
Speaker 2: Jensen's doing some real good Like this makes sense.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. Three Oh, it could also be a sex thing. Grab a order. Is that a injury to the back of a hoof caused by a horse stepping on itself. B when a horse came back to win in the final quarter mile see a horse that wins with twenty five to one or higher odds. Or D when a horse owner racks up twenty five wins in a year. You pick first. Huh C, I kind of agree with you. I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna say C.
Speaker 2: The answer is a.
Speaker 1: Ah, an injury. That doesn't make any sense. You're not grabbing any other I'm changing all of these. Uh so we've already lost. Well, No, I guess if we get the next two right, we'll win. Number four. Blaze is it a referring to a hot start out of the gate. B When you correctly predict the first, second, and third third places in a bet see a large white vertical marking on a horse's face. Or D a jockey who is placed in five races in a row. Blaze I'll go first. I'm gonna say I don't think Jensen would put two a's in a row, so I'm gonna say it's. I'm gonna say it's when you correctly predict first, second, and third place in a bet. I'm gonna say it's b okay.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with A because it makes the most sense to me. The answer is C.
Speaker 1: None of these makes sense. That's a blaze. We suck at this. But also, whoever named these horse things sucks at this. They're stupid, stupid. Number five a maiden So we've already lost, so this doesn't matter. Number five. A maiden race is at A the first race for a horse. B A race filled with only horses who have not yet won, or ce sorry see a race with only female horse horses, or D a member of Iron Maiden in a foot race. I'm guessing it's not D. A maiden race, the first race for a horse.
Speaker 2: All of them makes sense.
Speaker 1: Right, A race filled with only horses who have not yet won, or a race with only female horses. You go first.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do the first race for a horse.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm gonna say too. I'm gonna say A the first rate, we're gonna we're going down. We are holding hands after we hit the the we're on the Titanic and it's just flooding. Here we go. I'm gonna say A two, hold on tight. It's b ah okay.
Speaker 2: A race, though, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, there we go. Well we suck, thank you very much. Can we do some Sabrina seas?
Speaker 2: Yes, there are not very much. We talked again about that. We talked about well, I just kind of talked a little. But whatever. The music part really was jarring for me. I did hear one of the songs. First of all, they had the same producer writer like I went on I am I DMB IMDb because I thought it was the voice sounded very similar to a guy named Rob Robbie Neville who worked on us. Yeah he yeah, yes, So he ended up being a big Disney Channel producer that did a lot of music, and a lot of the songs in a lot of the musicals are his songs, so I recognize his voice, but that wasn't him. It was a different guy, and he was in like most of the songs that are well really almost all of them that are listed on I D I m dB. But there was a song that was called ready to Run on this soundtrack that I didn't see on IMDb because.
Speaker 1: I, yeah, that was the first the first song I think that opens up.
Speaker 2: Right, which I would have thought they would have used a little bit more because it was obviously made for this movie. And then okay, I had questions about the rules of this situation with the talking horse, so she couldn't hear him for a while. Then all of a sudden, like you said, it happens like twenty thirty minutes into the movie and then it stops for a minute, like she's around him, there's conversations happening, and she can't hear him anymore. Then we obviously know their relationship grows and she can hear him. But then when did it turn into like being telepathic like she with the fire, There's no way where they were didn't seem like an equal amount of distance where she could hear him because she was the only one who heard the horse, right, all of a sudden, she's like there's something wrong. Yeah, I'm like, oh she can like.
Speaker 1: Now it's just telepathy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, like it was weird. So they it kind of went. They did not do that again. Like another thing that I had a hard time doing. You have sindbad in this movie, and you didn't use him really at all. He's there, he's like not even a B character, He's like a.
Speaker 1: C or D. I bet you he recorded for like an hour for this.
Speaker 2: Entirea he had just literally maybe like a half of a page or maybe two pages at max, which was really odd to me because because I also thought when I saw him on the credits in the beginning, and I was like, oh, cool, thinking it was gonna be kind of a comedy, and it really wasn't a comedy at all. It flipped into like some of the stuff with the horse voiceover work was signed out, some of the comedic aspect, but not enough to be considered super funny. It was weird. And then my biggest thing with this movie, and this is probably gonna be weird, I just felt like it was it involved too many adults.
Speaker 1: Oh, I can see that for a for a.
Speaker 2: D com, we are so used to seeing the kids really run and drive the storytelling of this, and honestly, her mom kind of did the most of the like story telling of what's happening and Machado, and then there's so many adults that the guy that sold Machado on getting this rodeo course circus guy seemed so similar. When the guy then I put him, I think I thought I was like, oh, he's the one that sold him on getting this writ and I'm like, oh, wait, are they different?
Speaker 1: Was it be twins?
Speaker 2: They could have been. There was just that was how many adults there were in this movie that like they were starting to just get muffled, like just kind of like didn't really understand who the characters were. That's that's kind of just my opinion on that. And then another thing that I saw and this was actually reviewing when I was on IMDb, and then I saw it on Mikayla's notes that she senses So you mentioned it a little bit. I thought you were going to get into it where she buys the horse for a thing of peanuts. Well, there's actually like a law that a miner can't buy a horse in general. So even if she had offered him here's five dollars, you can't, like her mom would have had the opportunity to get the money back and give it back because it's like against the law for a miner to actually buy a horse, which I thought was really interesting that miners can't buy horses. Like by the time you're like fifteen sixteen, you're really into the sport, but you can't own your own horse yet. That was interesting.
Speaker 1: To own your own car why can't you own your own horse?
Speaker 2: That's what I mean. That's what I mean, And that's it. I already said the thing about Seabiscuit, but that's it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, there we go. Now we get to the fun part of actually scoring our film, rating our film. For this we're going to do one, yeah, one out of ten. Okay, and ten's going to be the biggest this time. Okay, okay. So our options this week are one out of ten, horse girls one out of ten, barely talking horses, underwear helmets.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we did.
Speaker 1: We didn't even get into that. I'm not going to touch that one. It says toothpicks, but I'm going to change it to undecipherable toothpicked bedding, nice headstones one out of ten, fume drugs one at a ten, horse confidence, piles of horse dung one out of ten, chili pepper cranks one out of ten, thunder jerks, or I'm going to add one out of ten. She gave me a hot walkers. What would you like to do this week, Sabrina? Is that your pick? Oh? My god, she picked it, she did.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to do peas and poops, but.
Speaker 1: She gave me, a hot walker is the way to go. I think, do I go first this time? I can't remember?
Speaker 2: Yes I did?
Speaker 1: I think so, so I go first this time?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, Ah, here's the thing about this movie. It's it's fine.
Speaker 2: It's fine.
Speaker 1: It's completely it is fine. It's fine. It is completely and totally forgettable. It doesn't know what it is. Like you said, it's a drama, but they got all of these comedy actors to voice horses kind of because there don't really it's not Doctor Doolittle where the horses are funny, and it's kind of like you said, Lion King, like you get Timon and Pumba coming in who are really funny, and it's it's not that none of the horses really have any magical personalities that are worthy of anything. It seemed like it was tacked on, like it should have just been a nice Disney movie about a girl who has this connection with a horse and and wants to follow in her father's footsteps. I mean that that's a dcom that writes itself. So it's like, why then add this thing to this movie. I find it dragged at quite a few places. Yeah, it just didn't know what it was at the same time, it was fine. This movie, to me is absolutely the perfect five she gave me Hot Walkers, cause it's like it's it's it's not good. It's not bad. The acting is fine. The story doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I don't like stuff about animals being hurt. I easily could have made this a three just based on that. But it's fine. It's I'm gonna the second this movie ended and this podcast is over, I'm not gonna remember a thing about this movie. No, And that's where that's where I am. So that's my score is five. How about you?
Speaker 2: I am right there with you. I just feel like this movie, like you said, it's unforgettable, or it's not unforgettable, that this movie is forgettable. And again it makes me remember too that this was the time on the channel that these d coms were not like what they're doing with d coms now, where they're coming out like every couple of months maybe or six months between now and the next one. This is the time where the dcoms were coming out on like the first Friday of the month. They were coming out every thirty days, so they weren't necessarily I guess maybe not putting as much effort into making these, you know what I mean? They were again it's the time of the the era of the channel that they were throwing against the wall seeing what stuck. If it did, great, If not, it's okay because we've got an next one coming out last month anyway. So yeah, so that's what I agree with you. I'm gonna match your five. She gave me hot walkers, she gave me hot logger, she gave me hot logger or piece and poops. Yeah, I'm gonna imagine. And that's kind of it.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: I didn't hate it. I just didn't really like love it, you know. And it was fine, you know, it didn't put me in as bad of a mood. Is the class one?
Speaker 1: So I feel like that to step up right exactly what was the last one? Again? I can remember the story, but it was oh starstruck. Yeah, I can coindly remember the story. I couldn't remember the name. Yeah, yeah, no, I agree, There you go.
Speaker 2: All right, that's it.
Speaker 1: Five? There we go? Two five's U two fives? She gave me? Do not equal attend? Our next movie is a twenty fifteen entry. We're going kind of Newish. It's the adventure fantasy dcom about science, starring a former co star of mine who actually just ran into like a week ago. She's doing great on her new show, Rowan Blanchard. It's Invisible Sister. It's also a Paul Holland joint. Daddy Daddy Dam is back, so that is exciting. It's currently on Disney Plus so you can get ahead, start and watch it before the podcast airs. And as always, we have a beautifully huge backlog of recaps and interviews featuring some of the biggest names in d coms, and every single one is just waiting for to stream. Just search for Magical Rewind wherever you get your podcasts and subscribe asap. That's asap people. That way you never miss another episode. And for more info, you can follow us at Magical Rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine. It's the one with all the flashy lights that makes it where I can't sleep. Enjoy Hi everybody.
Speaker 2: Bye,