Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: I'm Tim Stadaveeck along with Carol Masser. Let's take a look at some stocks on the move this week. We're joined by Bloomberg Television Markets correspondent Nora, Melinda Nora. Where are we going to start?
Speaker 4: Well, an interesting one that was the biggest loser in the SP five hundred this week is actually a name that plunged today on Friday. So super micro Computer that's ticker SMCI the biggest decliner in the s top five hundred over the past five days, stalk down about thirty three percent over that period. Much of that we know coming from the performance today. This is after the US charged a co founder with illegally diverting billions of dollars in Nvidia powered servers to China. We also know that those that were in question, we did have someone that did step down today that we did get some news coming out very recent but essentially the idea is that they allegedly sold the hardware to an unnamed Southeast Asian company and coordinated for its ultimate shipment to Chinese customers. Super Micro of course saying that they are cooperating with US authorities. But stock is down about thirty percent year to date. This was a stock that was up about five percent as of Thursday's close.
Speaker 3: The person you're referring to is Eyeshai On. Wally Leah resigned effective immediately. That was a board member. The company also named Deanna Luna as acting Chief Compliance Officer, effective immediately, though there are no changes to the board's committee structure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, but this is one that was very key, right, and who was charged in this scheme to send those US assembled servers that contained in video's cutting edge chips, which is just right, something that we know over the last couple of years, right, has been very much held back concerns about sending that security over to China. All right, that's a good one. That's a big one to the downside. Where shall we go?
Speaker 4: Now, another name in the red Newmont ticker in e M. This is really we've been keeping our eyes on some of those mining names like Newmont, Alca, Barrick. So we have Newmont being one of the biggest decliners in the market. This week. Gold mining stocks, we do know, did draw some strong inflows last year, especially as we did see the dollar falling by about eight percent in twenty twenty five, But this week we saw a lot of traders coming in and dumping some of those individual mining stocks, especially as we think about everything that's going on in the Middle East. This really weighing on some of those names, and a lot of investors feeling a bit uncertain as to where they actually want to stay in this market. And we know that, you know, maybe last year those returns are more typical of speculative assets than a traditional haven, but with the conflict dragging on, investors are really heading for the exits here as we think about some of these mining names. Shares of Newmont down about four percent so far in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: I just want to like take a look at gold on that I mean, gold is down ten percent this week. Tim, we're talking about Spot Gold. That's after losing about three three percent the week before. So we know, since this conflict has started, and we were talking about this with our Eric Wiener about trying to understand the gold trade, and a lot of it is worrying looking at what's happened with the dollar, which has gone up as a result.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna let you explain, well, the relationship between interest rates.
Speaker 1: Saying gold price is like gold kind of stays at the same in terms of value, but as gold goes up, I guess the dollar denominate what God.
Speaker 3: I have an email from Eric because he was like, I want to send you an explanation. He said, gold doesn't have a yield, so when rates arise, it's still giving you the same value. Better to park in bonds or cash or cash in this case cash because it's rising in bonds or dicey. So it's about an opportunity costs when it comes to investing. Energy is also a rotation that then you know, pulls. So Eric Wiener for the win.
Speaker 5: Right, yeah, right, it's pretty interesting. Okay, yeah, you know, listen to our podcast or something because he gets into all of this and stuff. But it's interesting, poor poor Norridge as we kind of like bomp around here. Delta Airlines was one that you watched also on the week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I was looking at shares of Delta Airlines ticker d a L one of the top gainers in the S and P five hundred so there was some green on the screen this week it is mass nearly eight percent. This has airlines, hotels, cruise socks climbing after a relatively bullish outlook from carriers. Execs are saying that they think that these are some of the strongest booking trends that they've seen in industry history. Think about some of those travelers on the premium side and business side really trying to rush get some of those tickets in for airlines as they think about price hikes due to the war.
Speaker 3: How much more is fuel costing these companies a lot more?
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'm reading the Eric Quiener. Sorry, yeah, no, no, this is important, but it makes no sense.
Speaker 3: When it makes a lot of it does it makes no sense?
Speaker 1: No, it does, but he says gold it doesn't have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'm talking about Delta Airlines and fuel.
Speaker 1: Cuss. I'm just going back to that understanding how the market relationship.
Speaker 5: Love start up.
Speaker 3: Okay, I was saying, it makes no sense that, you know, the fuel costs are so much higher. But anyway, that's it. That's all the time. We have normal Linda. For more conversations and stocks on the move, check out our new Stockmovers podcast anywhere you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: The Stockmover's Report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.