Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal hell.
Speaker 2: That for me, I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day? Ata State is that woo woom?
Speaker 1: And then and Tye, welcome back to the solid Verbo boys and girls. My name is ty hilden Brandt. You will hear from Dan Rubinstein momentarily. This is another excerpt from College Football Thursdays. It is the live show we do on Spotify every Thursday evening five pm East, two pm Pacific. This time we talked about spooky about scary games in this college football week nine teams that are favored by seven or more points that should perhaps be a little bit worried about an upset. We had some fun with it. We pulled a few sound clips that we thought you might enjoy. If you weren't able to make it out this week, over on to Spotify, we hope you could do so next week. Soliverble dot com slash Spotify is a url. Just hit that every Thursday again, five pm Eastern, two pm Pacific. Thank you so much, as always for your support. We appreciate you downloading and listening along. Hope you enjoy your college football weekend. Here's a little excerpt again from College Football Thursdays to send you off into the weekend. Stay solid. I order you to.
Speaker 2: Cease any and all supernatural activity and return forth with to your place of origin or to the nearest convenient parallel dimension.
Speaker 1: I love that clip so much from Ghostbusters. It's the best teams that are at least a seven point favorite that should be afraid or could be afraid, maybe should be afraid of an upset. Why don't we start three point thirty Florida versus the george Bulldogs Dan, they play this one in Jacksonville. Georgia is a twenty two and one half point favorite. I think Georgia pulls away in the second half. Okay, but if you want to talk about culture shock as you did with Ohio State playing Penn State, clearly the best team on their schedule, what.
Speaker 2: Do you mean culture shock? Like they're going to be uncomfortable around people from New Jersey?
Speaker 1: Perhaps perhaps perhaps, okay, perhaps culture shock and being that close to a competent offense.
Speaker 2: Sure, Oh my god, look at these people from South Orange.
Speaker 1: That's right. Let's talk about Georgia squaring off against a better team, better team than they've seen in a while. It's been a minute for the Bulldogs. The last time we saw the Bulldogs up against anybody competent was Week one, and that was really competent. In air quotes against week one version of Oregon, I say week one version of Oregon, because I think Oregon's pretty good. I think Oregon's pretty good team. Georgia just might be forty six tie. Georgia might be forty six points better than Oregon, and that still might not be a black eye against Oregon, right, all right, So I'm not saying this at all to be derogatory towards your organ ducs, but this rivalry matchup is I think of particular interest, not only on the Georgia side, but also on the Tennessee side, which we're going to talk about here momentarily, because they have each other in Athens next week. Dan, any concern here if you're Georgia is their spookiness quotient in this matchup?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Anthony Richardson with the ball in his hands is still pretty scary time. I mean, look, they scored what was it, thirty five? They lost forty five to thirty five to LSU, which is a tough beat because that was a game with opportunities they hung with basically stride for stride, And look, I know this is a very Texas thing to talk about how impressive you are losing a game, But they were stride for stride with Tennessee, were they not? That game came down to the very end, lost by five or thirty eight thirty five in Knoxville. Yes, that was a back and forth affair, and so in some ways it's sort of walked before you can run. Florida certainly has defensive deficiencies. They're wildly insistent on offense. I think Anthony Richardson Anthony Richardson excuse me, is still somewhat raw. They can't get off the field. On defense. They are currently one hundred and thirty first out of one hundred and thirty one teams at forcing three and outs. Nobody has the depth right to play an entire game to have that defense on the field as much as Florida's defense has been on the field. So that's an issue for sure. But with the number one most explosive rushing offense with you know, a good running back in Montreal Johnson Trevor e Tn and obviously Anthony Richardson's ability with his legs. I'm not saying Florida has the spooky juice to win this game, but if you're simply looking at Jimmy's and Joe's justin Shorter, the Penn State transfer has gotten it done this year, I would say there's a James or two, there's a Joseph for two for Florida, and I think that's a good enough reason to say, Okay, George's offensive line has been up and down. Stetson Bennett hasn't been, you know, as dependable I think this year as he was last year. Maybe the stats play that out differently. They haven't had those game changers on offense. They're still an incredible team and much more balanced and much more complete than Florida. But that's a big number, and Florida at least gives you reason via explosive plays on offense to think, all right, maybe they don't need to drive down the field methodically every time. Maybe there will be a seventy yard run in there that's the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've got some interesting chat activity here, not the least of which is folks that are lobbying currently to rename it to Spooky Juice Saturday. Dan Nathan says that Georgia is just so much better Florida's defense hold horrendous hope for a fun Anthony Richardson moment or two. I think that's fine. Shay also going bold with it, saying if Florida wins, I'll paint my face like an alligator. Wow? Can you do that in two dimensions?
Speaker 2: You might need a maskie situation for a snout. Yeah. I think that's more difficult, but there is You can be scaleing. I think you can represent gator looking faces in some way. I think that's a tough ask, but I look, I was a two dimensional Tiger this morning, so anything is possible. Kevin Garnett voice.
Speaker 1: Three point thirty Oregon minus seventeen against Cal. Cal plays defense. True, they don't allow big plays. They also don't score. They don't score. They haven't scored like eighteen years. Dan, Oregon a seventeen point favorite against the Cal Golden Bears. Is there any bit of letdown?
Speaker 2: Oh, definitely, They're gonna be letdown no matter what. I have no idea if they're covering this game. I have noid they could blow out Cal. Cal certainly is not going to comfortably beat Oregon. They just do not have the offense to do so. But one thing we talked about in the off season, I think we dedicated a whole episode to it is scar tissue. And so there are certain teams, if not every team in a conference that every rational This might be a bit of an oxymoron. College football is scared of something about most teams on their team schedule, whether you're a Georgia fan, whether you're Vanderbilt fan, and everybody in between. Oregon col matchups have been brutally gut wrenching for Oregon fans. If you remember, there was an overtime game in Justin Herbert's freshman year, Chip Kelly scored fifty seventy points a game whatever. I think they ended up beating Cal fifteen to thirteen or something with their Loan touchdown. I remember that in Berkeley. What a weird thing, Cliff Harris punt return touchdown. I want to say that was their only time they got in the end zone. Now, I don't think guys like Tyson Alu Alu and Cameron Jordan are lining up for this year's Cal defense. Neither is a recent guy like Evan Weaver. Whoever. But if you believe in the spooky juices that are floating in the east above this weekend.
Speaker 1: Just settle with the spooky juice already.
Speaker 2: I can get worse. Tie, you do not want to test me. I can go worse than spooky juice. I've already called you the sluttiest podcast in America. Yeah, runner roll continue, Yeah, Yeah, we're really going for it this week. Yes, intrinsically in my Oregon fan DNA, I'm always gonna be a little bit scared, like they needed to hang on last year and they were way They beat Ohio State more comfortably then they beat Cal last year, and so they needed Cal to basically throw a ball into the dirt in the end zone in the waning seconds after Oregon you know, threw an all out blitz at them to win that game. Cal was like on the five yard line to tie that game and send it to overtime. A not good at all Cal team. So yes, justin Wilcox against Oregon terrifying.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yeah, Cal currently, per the sp plus, which we like to use as a metric here, the one and ninth best offense in America not good at running or throwing, slightly worse at throwing.
Speaker 2: They just they brought in their old offensive line coach, who is Oregon's longtime offensive line coach, Steve Greatwood, as an analyst because the offensive line has been such a mess. Like a week and a half ago, Justin Wilcox was like, Steve, you gotta come out of retirement and help us.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, please Steve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what Justin Wilcox.
Speaker 1: Cal's line play on both sides has been atrocious, all right, So yeah, I'm not too worried about Oregon. I did want to throw this one on the list just because Northwestern against Iowa. Raise your hand in the chat. Actually, don't raise your hand, just keep it to yourself. Okay, it's cool. It's cool if you're gonna be watching this game. Because Iowa is favored by eleven points. It's been a popular joke, at least in our circles this week. Can i Aowa get to eleven points against anybody? It's a fair question. They didn't last week. I know because I took over sixteen and a half Iowa team points. Yeah, that one did in cash, That one in cash. So also of note Northwestern has won four of the last six in this matchup. As you think or excuse me, is I think you said rightfully on our show, Northwestern and Pat Fitzgerald does almost nothing other than keep this game close and or win. Yes. Correct, So Iowa as a eleven point favorite, be afraid, be very afree. And that being said, I'm not sure Northwestern can score either. This could be a really bad football.
Speaker 2: Game Iowa before their offensive woes this year. This is how many points they've scored against Northwestern, who does not have the defense. They do not have the Mike Hankwoitz defense of days gone by, but the last few matchups seventeen, twenty, twenty ten, ten, that's not many points. It's just not and it's sort of a death taxes. Northwestern either beats or makes things terribly uncomfortable for Iowa seventeen to twelve last year. So if you like the under there's recent history and Iowa's offense was better last year. Seventeen to twelve was that final.
Speaker 1: Thing about this game, and we talked about it a little bit again in the preview show. When I put together the run sheet of all the games, I initially made a mistake on the over under, and I set it at thirty one and a half points.
Speaker 2: That's where it opened. I did see that, by the way, so you wasn't a terrible mistake.
Speaker 1: It was a terrible mistake, but it ends up around I guess it's thirty seven and a half now, but thirty one and a half points. Even before I corrected it, I was like, that's totally believable. It's totally That is the worst NFL game ever. That is one of the worst college games ever, a thirty point contest, especially featuring an eleven point line. So I don't know what to expect here, but Northwestern does have some recent history against Iowa. Could see that game being kind of weird because it just always seems to be. Some other matchups here in that afternoon slayed again. Not huge point spreads, but just ones I think of note. Okay, Oklahoma State Kansas State should be a really good game, really.
Speaker 2: Fun team on Halloween.
Speaker 1: Alma State, never know, Wake Forest on the road at Louisville. This is a close matchup from a year ago. I have some thoughts that we'll get to in a little bit. And then I also threw on here even though it is over a seven point line Illinois versus Nebraska, Illinois favored by seven and a half on the road at Nebraska. I can't remember a time in my adult life when I ever felt this confident about Illinois football.
Speaker 2: I thought, you're just confident in general, and obviously as wow, somebody who dresses like he does on Halloween, Ty, you're one of the most confident people. I know you're not wrong. And it's hard to fully get a beat on what Nebraska's ceiling is with an interim situation, and I don't think Illinois is a ten win team. It's one of those things where it's hard to point to specifically why Nebraska is going to beat Illinois. And I don't like Nebraska, so I'm taking Illinois. But it's one of those things too, where like, are we fully confident in this Illinois offense to just the games in Lincoln? Right?
Speaker 1: Games in Lincoln, that's correct?
Speaker 2: Like, are we fully confident that Illinois is just a finished enough product to say, yeah, they're gonna win ten games and take advantage of everybody they should because of this strong defense. That's what worries me. That's what's spooky to me. What's the line again about seven and a half.
Speaker 1: Seven and a half points.
Speaker 2: That's what's spooky to me. Now, I have to be able to make the case for Nebraska winning the game or competing in this game to actually take the points, and I can't, so I'm taking Illinois. But it should definitely spook out ALLIONI fans who they they're now confident enough, kind of rightfully, so where they start penciling in games like this. Yeah, I'm not there yet.
Speaker 1: No, I think that's fair. They're remaining games, by the way, if they make it past Nebraska, if you truly are feeling ten and two, Yeah, Michigan State, Purdue at Michigan at Northwestern.
Speaker 2: It's look if you're isn't it the Seth Davis? Is he the college basketball Yeah, like says Sharpie, right, when he's very confident about a game, he's not writing it and he's not penciling, and he's writing it Sharpie. I think this will go a long way to transitioning the Ali and I from pencil to sharpie. If you're able to win a game like this, which they should take care of business against the Nebraska team who's just kind of a wild card at this point. It goes a long way to me.
Speaker 1: By the way.
Speaker 2: Illinois, just in terms of numbers, they cover their point spreads more dramatically than anybody else. Twelve point eight points is their average cover at this point. That's first in the nation. It's pretty good ty seventy one percent against the spread this year