Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of the Weekly Zeitgeist.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: These are some of our favorite segments from this week, all edited together into one NonStop infotainment laugh stravaganza. Uh yeah, So, without further ado, here is the Weekly Zeitgeist. I am all right, mob. We are thrilled to be joined by a brilliant poet, political activist, academic MC and podcast host of the Muckliss and Hood Politics with prop One cool Zone. It's the brilliant, the talented Jason Petty aka Propaganda.
Speaker 3: What up, y'all?
Speaker 4: I might as well continue to tradition here, you know, propaganda aka only win I get an email from and uh.
Speaker 5: I'm on the daily Zi guys, I my name by post hood pollogics with me, I sell.
Speaker 1: Cold pro coffee.
Speaker 6: That's prop a courtesy of me.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: That was a joint right there. Man. I was like, listen, I keep them in the holster like true MC. Yeah? How many man?
Speaker 3: You ever?
Speaker 6: Like? How many writtens do you ever? Like? If I'm sure you know you go to freestyle battles and stuff, how many writtens would you have in your back pocket?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 4: I mean I come from the age where you're not supposed to have Yeah, yeah, I know in your back socket, you know what I'm saying. But but you get like you it's more like you have like a grab bag of like four bar eight bar some fish things in there. Just yeah, if you get lost, you can pull something out of there, right right. But yeah, but like a full verse, someone's gonna catch you, you know, and then then you can never come back.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I remember being like really disappointed when I used to think like mixtape freestyles were actual freestyles like get back in the day, and like, no, they're workshopping like other material that's going to end up on the track and for the real head that was on that, that was on that our deadline, Yeah, those are that Green Lantern mixtape.
Speaker 4: Yeah I know, yeah, that kind of that kind of goes to like what we're going to talk about later on that attitude.
Speaker 6: Yeah, talk about that when we get there, sure for sure.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, what we are talking about today is hip hop. It is the fiftieth anniversary.
Speaker 6: We're going to just talk.
Speaker 1: General thoughts on Yeah, how to go fifty years in Yeah, so so what do we like? We just listened to some hip hop and we're all getting back together. What do we think? What is something from your search history?
Speaker 7: Well it's pretty dark. Are you ready?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go okay, yeah, it's not even new and yet let's.
Speaker 1: Go just like about that jkrewlling joke real quick.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm ready, get you a good place I can bring it down.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So my last weekend news I tried to pitch the story that we never were able to do because we didn't get a call back. But I was living and working in Baltimore at the time and the like beloved giraffe at the zoo died and I wanted to know what they do with zoo animals when they die, Like do they have a draft funeral? Do they bury them? Is there a draft graveyard? Like what happens to them? And we never got a call back, and it's been bothering me for years, so very recently I googled it and apparently they all get cremated, but not for reasons that you might think. They get cremated so that people can't sell their body parts like on the black market.
Speaker 6: Oh and get like a giraffe skeleton. You're like, nobody's getting this Skelly right.
Speaker 7: If we can't have it, you can't either.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is so selfish. I want to buy a draft skeleton.
Speaker 7: That's very tall ceilings in your apartment.
Speaker 6: Do they have horns? What's the ship on the top of their head?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Some of them have like those little.
Speaker 7: Guys antennas for Wi Fi Oh.
Speaker 6: Yeah five g Yeah, yeah, those aren't because they have ears and them like knobs too, right, mm hmm. Okay, that's that's my that's my stupid question that I want to contribute to this discussion about giraffe anatomy, giraffe head knobs. We'll see what comes up that. Yep, yep, yep, yep, yep. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, awesome. Where can I buy them?
Speaker 7: Zoo?
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, Google giraffe olsome cones for sale.
Speaker 1: So wait, did you google the shopping tab of Google or did you image results?
Speaker 2: Actually on Facebook marketplace. They're very friends to the black market, right.
Speaker 6: Wait, so at the time when you were covering that story to the the giraffe just kind of passed away to the natural, natural causes. It wasn't like a dubious or drug death, was it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Fentanel's really imfiltrating the Zoo.
Speaker 6: Yeah no, I think.
Speaker 7: Either side of natural causes.
Speaker 2: Actually, okay, wait on that same subject, do you guys know this like Famous hippo Fiona is like, I think Cincinnati Zoo.
Speaker 1: I am not no, I'm nope, mill oat, yes, okay.
Speaker 6: Go on.
Speaker 7: Hippo content is huge on the internet.
Speaker 2: Fiona is a slab and apparently like that's the same zoo that Harambe was shot at. So they've just done this whole rebrand with his hippo and I'm like, no, you can't like get away from your dark past.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, wow Cincinnati. So are they just like cranking out stars at the Cincinnati Zoo or something.
Speaker 7: Apparently they got a really good pr team.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah for real.
Speaker 1: When I google Cincinnati Zoo hippo, I see that they're mourning the loss of Henry the hippo oh fag at twenty seventeen.
Speaker 6: Oh twenty seventeen.
Speaker 7: Okay, well they probably killed him.
Speaker 1: The father of Famous Fiona, Oh Fiona's father.
Speaker 6: Oh you hate this, you hate to see it.
Speaker 1: They're kind of setting us up for a disaster because hippos are you know, they they will kill motherfucker. Like real, They're they're very deadly in the right circumstances. So that was like my one little kid like annoying factoid.
Speaker 6: Would I say, like, hippos are actually the most dangerous, like if like to humans, it's not this or that, but yeah, that's what they do.
Speaker 1: It's what they do besides mosquitoes. That's my kid's favorite fact right now. Mosquito animal is mosquitoes.
Speaker 6: Because you're going very narrow for like blood born illnesses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, which my younger kid up because he gets a lot of mosquito bites. He's got that sweet sweet blood that the mosquitoes prey.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so nothing nothing you can do sitting in bed waiting for mosquitos to come and bite you to death.
Speaker 6: But he doesn't, like, he doesn't fuck with him, be like, oh, you know, like you could get you know what you could get from that massaine.
Speaker 1: I think he does, like and we're not around it would be my guess, yes, as an effect that my youngest hair has turned completely white.
Speaker 7: Second word was zeka.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's something that you think is overrated?
Speaker 8: DIY projects? Do you ever watch those YouTube videos and it's like the guys I was doing backyard work and he's like Oh, I'm just gonna level the sand out with a couple of little PBC pipes and so two by four and then you know, I'm gonna wrap it up for the day and then come back in. They never show you what happens afterward. They didn't show you, like the couple's therapy that that man had to go into after he ignored his wife for two days. And so my wife looks at these and we try to do a backyard project and it's not the same. I looked at these, you it looks so easy. All of a sudden, it's like one hundred and five degrees. I'm holding like a fifty pound two by two concrete paver, and I'm like, I don't know how to level this sand. This was a total mistake. She's pregnant, she doesn't she can't hate, She literally can't help, and so she's just trying to tell me what to do. I was like, you don't know how hard this is, and cut.
Speaker 1: To we're carrying something heavy around for a long period of time.
Speaker 9: I did what like, and then cut to we're like yelling at our couple's therapists, like you don't even know what's going on in this backyard. It's like it almost ruined us, just this one tiny backyard project.
Speaker 8: I was like, these DIY videos are all scamps. They don't show you the editing, they don't show you anything else that happens. How many takes did he have to do to get that level sand I don't know.
Speaker 6: They also don't show the decades of work and repetitions these people put in to make it look so fucking You're like, well, that guy just did it in one thing. It's like, but he's doing all these computations as he does it that he's not even describing in the video. Because I feel like all the time, like, oh, this would be easy if I like had actual carpentry skills. It's not just like like a master apprentice of some kind. You know, I didn't know any of this stuff. I mean I went to law school. I can I can write, I can pinch zoom on a touch screen.
Speaker 8: I can do that very well. I mean that's one of the mast Can we see that index and thumbly look at that dramatic hand had he just snapped on that zoom screen?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Man, Every every DIY project, every cooking thing takes me three times as much as the time estimate. Like I don't know what's wrong with me, but I am just so slow. I have to like watch it, watch it again. I'm old. I think is possibly what it is. But even like I have a bowling as recipe that is I'm pretty good at. I've been making it since you know, I was in my early twenties, and it doesn't get any faster. It's just three hours, all right, this is what we're doing all afternoon. Just don't come in the kitchen because I'm going to be in there being very slow. I also like listen to like I don't I don't ever want to focus on the DIY product I'm doing, you know, I want to like listen to a book. I wanna you know, like catch up on some emails. That probably the problem, right.
Speaker 8: The information age has given us this false sense of yes, the information is out there, and that means you can achieve whatever it's kind of conveying to you. And that's not that's not true, Like you shouldn't be doing these things like I can't do a wall installment of a cabinetry thing just because they did like an eight minute YouTube video about it. No, don't do that why should I do that. It's not the right thing for me to do.
Speaker 1: What is uh, what's something that you think is underrated? Okay, here we go? Oh, speaking of here we go, Wow, we got a baby, the geist child cometh.
Speaker 6: Hold is that baby? Oh he's about to be six months?
Speaker 8: Oh so cute?
Speaker 1: Yeah, buddy, what's man?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 1: Look at those cheeks. Look at that baby? Oh my god, what I mean? Truly the most beautiful baby.
Speaker 6: He's like a Pixar a little baby.
Speaker 1: He is like a little Pixar baby.
Speaker 6: He has like big, like goofy animated eyes.
Speaker 1: He just beautiful, wide open, attentive eyes. Okay, you'd be quiet here take that? Take that? Take that. What is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 11: A nice cold glass of water?
Speaker 1: Mm hmmmm, so.
Speaker 6: That's that's ice in my water? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Give me cold water.
Speaker 11: I think a cold nothing. Nothing hits like cold water on a hot day.
Speaker 6: I think it's just easier to for whatever reason, it's easier to drink. I'm like more motivated to go.
Speaker 11: Have you guys seen those women on like TikTok who drink flavored water?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 1: Are you seeing this?
Speaker 6: Jack like flavor water combos?
Speaker 11: Yeah, And they're like like improving water with these like water hacks where they basically just like mix a bunch of crystal light into water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get I find it.
Speaker 6: You're drinking you're drinking diluted crystal light or like Neo or other people use like fucking like uh like Barista syrup pumps and shit. God, I just.
Speaker 11: Can't relate to people that are like, oh, I don't really like water. I need water to like taste different. It's like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 6: Going on?
Speaker 1: Well, I have found that the crystal light flavoring helps cover up some of the gamy aftertastes that you get from raw water.
Speaker 3: You know, like.
Speaker 1: When you drink your raw water and it kind of tastes like sewage because it's like just from a pond somewhere that they scooped it out of. It does help to have long.
Speaker 11: No, No, that's nutrients shack. Those are the nutrients soup. They just get the mitichlorians out. There's something like the raw milk people.
Speaker 1: Now yeah, yeah, raw milk people have been replaced by raw water people. People wasting insane amounts of money. I do feel like we've seen some improvements in like we were talking sunscreen applications We've got We've got a bunch of stick based sunscreen applications for my kids. Roll on and like something that it is like a deodorant stick that just makes my life one hundred times easier. And there's also the powder thing that, like you powder. Yeah, there's like a powder. I mean it's mainly my wife uses it, but sometimes we'll just like just shake some favor on the on the kiddos before they go out, you know.
Speaker 11: Shit, all right, this is one I always say, ever since I learned that hippos make their own sunscreen by sweating, Yeah, why can't we do that? Wouldn't that make so much sense if ore sweat with sunscreen?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, genetically modify us so that hippo is also hippos.
Speaker 11: They sweat red, it looks like blood, So it's just a little sunscreen.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I love that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I like the way their their tails just launch a bunch of shit everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hippos are the coolest.
Speaker 11: Anyone who just gets to like hang out in the water all day.
Speaker 6: Like they're in Palm Springs, just shitting on themselves sweating sunscreen's life, just like people on vacation. But you know what, Those people pay for it, and these hippos get to.
Speaker 11: Do it for free. Exactly, they're the kings of the jungle.
Speaker 6: Or you pay for ativity, yeah, exactly, you'll pay for it with your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 11: If I see a hippo in my pool, yeah, wiggling its ears or whatever, I'm gonna kiss it.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I wouldn't do their I wouldn't do the kissing because they The other thing I like about hippos is that they will bite a human in half.
Speaker 11: Look, look, that's what most people. That's what they do to like a normal person. But they can tell I'm cool, right right right? They respect you because kiss them. Yeah, hippo whisper. Yeah, I'm not a hater. I'm like them. I get y'all. Okay, I get you. I'm like one of you. I'm like the Grizzly Man. But for hip I'm the hippo lady. Yeah, I just want a little kiss.
Speaker 6: You just have this say. I can't wait for that documentary to come out about you and the hippos in your last Journey to hang out with the hippos like Grizzly Man.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's sad that I died kissing a hippo, but I had to be me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Warner Werner Herzog presents Hippo Girl.
Speaker 6: As she went tools to Africa for one last time, she wanted to feel the embrace of the hippo only foot.
Speaker 11: I just want to do that so that when I die, Erner Herzog will like, listen to the tape of my death be like, nobody should hear this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Grizzlies really like took their time with that.
Speaker 6: Dude.
Speaker 1: I feel I feel like the hit the hippo tape would be very He'd like put the headphones in and then be like, oh and take them off.
Speaker 6: He's like, oh, you hear her get bitten in here here the ball.
Speaker 11: You can hear the exact sound when she's her snaps in half.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's like when you go to a sushi restaurant you pull the chopsticks apart.
Speaker 1: And she's weirdly saying it seems to be fucking enjoying.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I guess the way Jack, you would respond if you're just devoured by a great.
Speaker 1: White Yeah, we yes, yes, Yeah, that's what I couldn't respect. Quint the way he went out crying and screaming.
Speaker 6: Was enjoying man be present. Please are you.
Speaker 1: Doing John one with.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, God some.
Speaker 11: Spoilers for a movie from nineteen seventy six or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my bad, Joe. All right, jaw let's break and then we will check in with the happenings on Capitol Hill yesterday, including clear evidence the Mitch McConnell. The McConnell's sance is over. He's an MPC. We'll be right back, and we're back. We're and the border wall fundraising grift was real and the people who pulled it off are now facing jail time. One of the We Build the Wall fundraising campaign hucksters just received the highest sentence yet for the scheme. He's going to spend over five years in jail. This is Timothy Sheay of Castle Rock, Colorado, which makes him one of the most notorious Castle Rock residents not created by Stephen King and other defendants had previously pled guilty and received three years and four years. Steve Bannon meanwhile, pled not guilty in as a waiting trial. So that worms my heart a little bit to him, maybe him reading this headline today.
Speaker 6: Yeah fuck fuck fuck he went down too. Yeah, yeah, I mean, it's a I shouldn't be a surprise considering that this was such a clear fucking scam from the beginning. Yeah, but I'm again surprised that this ended up with people having to answer for their crimes. Yeah, pleasantly surprised by.
Speaker 1: That he pocketed approximately one hundred and eighty thousand dollars and was you know, is this scheme to defraud hundreds of thousands of donors so small donations from people who couldn't afford it, and he was just like you, yes, thank you. He also helped wunder the money through various shell companies, so he knew what he was doing and did it badly, So congratulations to him. Is this one of the fraudsters you're covering, you guys, well cover.
Speaker 8: We covered a little bit of this in between the seasons. We do these like fraud wires, which are like news stories that come similar to this. We did it when it kind of like the earlier criminal complaints came to for this story, and I love it because it relates to a lot of other things that we've covered. We actually did last season. We started with campaign frondsters and Trump was one of them. And one of the things that I think Donald, I know, I know. Do we need a pregnant pause on the show?
Speaker 6: Just let me that's a baseless accusation.
Speaker 8: Do we need a disclaimer? I don't want to get you guys in legal trouble here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: But the thing is, you know, I think the corporate media has done a disservice to us to a certain extent because they've chased everything, but they kind of don't talk about the boring stuff that's actually illegal. And so this is one of a great example of this was a slam dunk from the beginning. You invited people to donate to something that was supposed to be a nonprofit and all this stuff, and then they didn't even try to hide it. They funneled this money out to a for profit enterprise within seconds. It was like someone was hitting their mouse immediately as the donations were coming in, just to get them out of the account. There's another great example of Donald Trump. Uh during the herschel Walker Raphael Warnock runoff, and Trump would send out these emails to raise money for herschel Walker. You'd be subscribed to the Trump campaign. You get an email raise money for herschel Walker.
Speaker 6: Let's do it.
Speaker 8: And so you click like donate to herschel Walker, you go to a page you would talk about Trump, it would talk about herschel Walker and say do you want to donate? Absolutely all right, So you hit one click on your thumb, right, two clicks on your thumb. You're at the donation page. And what does it have? It has two fields. One is donate to the Donald Trump campaign and then a field with you could put in a number, and then the below is a field for oh, donate to the herschel Walker campaign. But in the two fields where you put in the dollar amount, it's pre populated in the Donald Trump field with one hundred dollars and nothing in the.
Speaker 1: Herschel Walker field.
Speaker 8: So you're just, don't they know. People are just gonna be slapping their thumbs just like I do on my target Instagram at They're just slapping their thumbs really quickly, and they're just gonna scam their way into donating Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: It's instead of getting a cool pair of UFO slippers, they get to give their money to donate to Donald Trump.
Speaker 6: Or a Wu Tang clan nixt Jersey.
Speaker 1: Oh did you really tell me?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Oh yeah, we did that on in person. We did that one person, but I'm not gonna lie that. I saw those the outcast one got served to me on the internet and I was like I between Jack and I, we honored nineties wrapped basketball love.
Speaker 8: At the end of the day, do you there's a part of me that does feel our show is all about vulnerable populations that get taken advantage of financially, and you can't. I mean, this is gonna sound terrible, but the Trump supporters are a vulnerable population and they've been scammed and they've been taking advantage of Yes, they're racist, Yes they're programmed to hate people and stuff like that for Fox News and stuff, but they are a susceptible group of people to influence and they have gotten scammed over and over and over again. It's just seventy four million of them, unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, right, you hate to see it. You just don't hate to see it quite as much as you do with other vulnerable populations.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In case, well, speaking of vulnerable populations, the fascists who are for Ron DeSantis. The job security is not great, not at this moment.
Speaker 6: It turns out, it's like I said, like you said at the top, it's sole fire in time down at the Florida fash factory because you know, recently, earlier this week, Desanta's assured supporters and donors, He's like, okay, look, I'm firing a third of my staff because it's part of a retooling, a great reset, if you will, to make my campaign leaner and meaner, to be this like insurgent campaign to defeat Donald trumpyeh, okay, whatever. But anyway, one of the people who got caught up in the layoffs was his speech writer, this guy named Nate Hawkman. And at first you're like, okay, fine, a speech writer got off, Sure, But if you look deeper, you realize that this guy was a fucking Nazi fanboy on the payroll who contributed a ton of articles to the National Review. Was like, you know, talking all the time about like how dope Nick Fuentes is and like other groyper bullshit, and also got semi famous for gushing over how Tucker Carlson like called him once because he was having a bad time, I think because he was like outed as a Nazi. And it's also becoming clear that this guy was the one who not only shared a video that came out recently with a fucking sunenrad or sunwheel, which is like a huge part of like Nazi white supremacy psychonography, that had DeSantis like super imposed on it. This guy is the fucking person who made it. At first, they made it seem like they were just sharing something from a fan, but now we find out it was coming from inside the house. And it's not clear if it's the same dude behind the other weird ass videos we've seen come out of Ron DeSantis's campaign, but I bet there was, yeah, just completely off the wall, like weird covers of Kate Bush running up the hill, like just all kinds of weird, Like last couple of videos have been really weird too, But I have a feeling it probably a good chance it may have been this guy too, because of the grouper aesthetic and just like the sort of shit posty vibe of all the videos. And you know, it's not good news for Ron right now.
Speaker 1: He seems pretty fucked, like pretty well fucked. Like every mainstream media, every every outlet has just agreed that he's fucked, which might be the best thing for him. I still don't think he's going to succeed, but probably needs to completely retool or do something to change the trajectory. I think the biggest problem being that he's just a fucking he's just the least charismatic human being you've ever seen. Yeah, try and community how.
Speaker 6: The least charismatic nazi out. Yeah, yeah, wow, they're usually really animated. But yeah, I think I think it's Yeah again, it's it's having like the charisma of like a Manila envelope, and also just having no one on your staff who has like any kind of real campaign experience. From what like I've heard, there's not. He's like hired people who'd say things that are not yes, you know, basically, And so I think he probably saw this, you know, this young guy, and he's like, hey, you're a young can you make some cool videos that will resonate? But little did he realize, like this guy, this kid is just like a like a four Chan shit poster type mentality. So, you know, the videos that come out were only really resonating with other racist weirdos and not so much expanding a bass.
Speaker 8: I would say, nice guy, Nate, are you kidding me? Nice guy Nate?
Speaker 11: He did this?
Speaker 8: Nice Nice guy Nate what are you talking about? You know, the Ron DeSantis is like there's this I can't remember where I read. It was like this chart of like his likability after the first time you meet him, and then it just like plummets after that because like in the news you see him do this thing like he's going after Disney and there's a certain part of the population it's like, oh yeah, and then you like me and like this guy kind of blows. He's so boring. And then if you even see all the videos that I normally am not like, okay, if they don't have a professionally run campaign, their toast right. We got Donald Trump because of that. But he's good at the media. This guy is awful. Every video you see of him, he's got this weird robot laugh. He's like staring at his eyes are looking too big, you know, you can see the whites of people's eyes too much, and it's like a huge flag. He like, it's just he's looking too intensely at people, and no one can go like connect with him. I haven't seen him kiss one baby either, which I think is another flag.
Speaker 6: One thing I've seen him is wipe snot on a guy's shoulder like him at a fundraise. He like wipes his nose like aggressively and then just like pats this guy who's sitting down on the shoulder like you just okay, sir.
Speaker 8: Will be the most normal thing he's done.
Speaker 1: Watching him try and like palor around with people in diners is worth Like it's just him showing up at a diner and just yeah, laughing way too hard at like nothing and just freaking out, like not being able to eat any of the food because he's on like some strict Hollywood diet. But he's like trying to be like man of the people, sugar man.
Speaker 6: Yeah, give me that cheeseburger. Okay, where's my spit pag?
Speaker 8: You like peppers in your home fries?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 12: No onions? No onions in my in my home fries. Please, I can't handle it. They acid is too much for me. And no potatoes either. Wait what do you want like the red Yeah, just the green bell pepper.
Speaker 6: Wait? What do you have? A warm bowl? One ladle of chicken broth and uh cumin. He spices it up a little bit.
Speaker 1: I bet he's hung out with Gwyneth Paltrow before m maybe.
Speaker 6: I mean he has I would sooner believe that, rather than Ron de Santa's being in some kind of like Hollywood goop scenario, that Gwyneth Paltrow would have been at Guantanamo Bay for some reason.
Speaker 1: Secret weapon.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like that's where they hung out, like or she's like, oh yeah, this is just give me a lot. I love the aesthetic here.
Speaker 8: Those prisoners need to moisturize.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she actually uses tears as moisture. It's like there there's something about the content of torture tears that she uses to and then she just enters the room and all the moisture gets sucked out of them and like goes under her body.
Speaker 6: Oh wait, I've got this great idea for a new baby baby shampoo guanteer, no moores.
Speaker 1: Tear, no wars, Oh shit, trademark that just baby shampoo, baby shampoof. All right, And then Trump seems uncomfortable. Yeah, a lot of people over on the right seeming uncomfortable. I feel like we're it's always a big news story, Like especially when the Democrats aren't in the White House, the like Democrats in disarray, they're like freaking out and like wondering what to do, and no candidate is coming forward and pulling it together. I feel like we're getting the pub the Republicans in disarray, folks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's yeah, it's kind of freaking out.
Speaker 1: It took a lot to get the media there. But I think they're kind of also being like, these guys kind of stink.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like it wasn't the part where they were talking about how they thought Lauren Bobert and Marjorie Taylor Green would start fist fighting.
Speaker 1: At any moment.
Speaker 6: Everything's all good over there. But yeah, last time we checked with Trump, he was screaming on truth social or rather like uploading full, like three page PDF rants about his legal issues. Again, that's the guys child. You hear mooning back there, So that's should say, hello.
Speaker 1: Hi, capture that it's a drop and I'm teaching.
Speaker 6: I'm teaching everybody about the shitty former president. So right now, you know, like he was talking about, we felt that, Okay, there's obviously an indictment coming based on how much screaming he's doing on social and whether that's the DC like overturning the election case or the RICO in Fulton County, Georgia yet to be seen. But he's clearly in give me attention and money mode right now, which makes perfect sense because a lot of the reporting suggest all these cases not even you can just imagine all these cases require a lot of expensive lawyers, especially the ones that have like specific curity clearances and can deal with the kinds of issues that Trump has. So that's one issue for him. And also like these semi veiled threats he's been making the last couple of weeks as it relates to his supporters that they're very passionate and I'd hate for something bad to happen. I know you would hate for something bad to happen to you, guys. Child. There doesn't seem to be like that groundswell of the Maga freakouts that we had leading up to January sixth, although he's trying desperately to try and create that atmosphere. So now he is asking Congress to please help me, and I'm just gonna play this clip.
Speaker 1: That he as sorry, and I do just want to acknowledge that, I mean, that was crazy. So during when Miles was doing the Trump impression, he just held the Geist child up and the Trump voice came out of the Geist. Yeah, it's an amazing impression. Did you do that resonant voice.
Speaker 6: You're truly my boy. You love that he's really good. You hear that he's working. He's doing a lot better. Okay, So here's Trump begging Congress because he's the comfortable v confident nothing's going on. But you tell me if this sounds like somebody who's about doing.
Speaker 1: This is direct to camera in front of conservatively fourteen American flags.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's crammed seventy thousand flags into one frame somehow.
Speaker 13: Congress, if you will please investigate the political witch hunts against me currently being brought by the corrupt DOJ and FBI, who are totally out of control after Biden with all of his corruption, the most corrupt president in history, but they keep coming after me from the day I came down the escalator all failures. This continuing saga is retribution against me for winning and even more importantly to them election.
Speaker 6: And then he goes on he's there trying to fuck up twenty twenty four. This is their version of stealing the vote. I just love the energy that it starts off with. I'm just gonna play it again because he's like, Congress, Congress, if you will please, Congress. I think someone was like, why don't you just don't sound so desperate? Right, Okay, yeah, Congress, if you will please please.
Speaker 1: He's reading off a prompter, like you can tell he's very He's one of the easiest people to tell the difference, and he's very He's way less effective as a communicator when he's reading off your prompt.
Speaker 6: The prompt he does that shoulder pivot, like he changes his shouldering his shoulders, yeah, rocking. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Just imagine the number of people that I've had to learn to write in.
Speaker 1: His voice, yeah Congress. Yeah, Well, I'm sure he has notes, but I feel like he probably writes a little bit differently than fewer words.
Speaker 8: Slit trimmed that down more caps, more caps, but.
Speaker 1: It does feel like weirdly formal, like he's like, Okay, I'm doing the thing, the big like plan, you know, deaf Con five. I'm going to ask Congress to help me.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Doesn't like throwing it.
Speaker 8: Back to the escalator speech, which was the one where he called a whole country rapist. I mean, it's like, this is this is the one, this is the image you want to bring back. I guess that was like a great dividing line in our country. Because some people watch that and we're like, wow, this man's maning. Other people are like, well, this guy.
Speaker 3: Makes a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: Hey man, I'm Kermit man.
Speaker 8: This is what happened a kid does he It's like I just go into like some weird Elmo Kermit voice thing.
Speaker 1: Well, he's all about like green, green grievance policy. Yeah, you know, he's you know, it's not easy being green.
Speaker 2: Everyone Anyways, Emo believes that white men are being punished.
Speaker 1: Again, incredible work.
Speaker 6: We don't like those takes. White men are not being punished merely for the crime of existing. Hold on his hand.
Speaker 1: But yeah, like so this is almost Dad does have a big soul patch by the way.
Speaker 6: Just oh yeah, he is like one of those he has like a muppet soul patch. Yeah yeah, yeah, I don't know what I think about that.
Speaker 1: He could have been a January sixth.
Speaker 6: Yeah, oh absolutely. But the thing is, like we've talked about this in the past with all these stories, Like I get I get it he's being indicted, but like also I don't have faith in the legal system to actually dole out justice in the way that like we see it, you know, be heavy handed for many other people. So the only thing that really makes me feel that this is somewhat real is just that Trump is clearly uncomfortable. Yes, And I don't want to say scared because I think it's too powerful of a word. And I honestly, I'm not sure he's capable of the sensation of fear as it relates to legal issues, because this man has been able to skirt, sidestep, juke, dodge whatever, spin out of all kinds of legal issues that I think for him is just more like uh shit, they might do Okay, you gotta do your thing now, more than like.
Speaker 1: Dude, please, Yeah. All though it's weird, he brings the energy of an infomercial to this plea to Congress to like subvert democracy.
Speaker 3: He has.
Speaker 1: It's the same energy he has when he's like selling Trump water and Trump steaks. He's just like, all right, this is my next venture. I'm going to talk to Congress. And it's something's going like the the Fulton what do we call the Fulton indictment is like.
Speaker 6: The Fulton County, yeah, County case.
Speaker 1: The Fulton County charges seem like they're coming and they seem like they're the I mean they're the ones we know the most about, right because it was so out in the open. Well, yeah, he we've heard recordings of him trying to pressure the state's top election official to find eleven votes to flip the results. His campaign recruited fake electors who signed off on a failed bid to eventually replace three ones in Congress to like overthrow the election. A local Republicans snuck into a county election office to tamper with voting equipment. That's those are all like, those are pretty big.
Speaker 6: And they're all talking too. None of them were like it ain't some Omerica shit where they're like, yeah, nice, try, I ain't saying nothing. I'll do a fucking ten ten ten year stretch on my head. No, they are talking and again, like like we said, the second Brad Raffensberger came out from like Georgia to be like, uh, I don't know if y'all know what this guy's just trying to make me pull. I was like, well, yeah, I don't know, I don't Republican. Yeah, I don't know what other investigating will need to be done, but hey, here we are the.
Speaker 8: Thing that I think always he gets like exonerated on all the times. In some of these cases, is like his mental state and what he was doing were different. He didn't intend on doing any of these things. Like I think the January sixth thing, he may be able to get off for inciting violence because he's like, I'm just talking, But these other things where it's like the classified document where they now have him on recording saying this is a classified document that I'm not allowed to declassify. This recording where he's talking directly saying I don't think this was right, you should do this. These all speak to like his intention and what he wants someone to do, and then the act is the act. Everyone gets it. And so that I think gives me faith in the judicial process when it comes to this kind of stuff where I don't have faith in it. Is like when there's a jury that can be influenced by a narrative in a very clear way, right, Like he was just motivating people to use their powers of peaceful protest. Yeah, I can see a jury just being like who you know, and it's all kermits and so yeah. So yeah, that's why I think these ones are interesting, and I like how they waited at least a while to come down with these indictments. You gotta really get dialed in if you're gonna do this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think that's like with you could already see just sort of with Judge Cannon in you know, South Florida, how she's already beginning to influence things with her you know, love of Trump. But yeah, like it's these other cases that seem again where it has much less wiggle room, especially again like for this Fulton case, where like most people saw this without having to like you know, go through the process of like discovery or investigating or anything like. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember that. I remember hearing that. I remember seeing that.
Speaker 1: Sure, not gonna lie. A lot of people saw that. All right, let's take a quick break. We'll be back. We'll talk UFO.
Speaker 3: Hearings, and we're back.
Speaker 6: We're back.
Speaker 1: And if I seem a little distant, it is because I'm coming to you from the like fifteen seconds in the past. For some reason, there's a fucking long ass leg that is happening. I'm pay that hearing everything everybody says. Ten seconds later, I apologize to our guest, I apologize to my parents. I'm better than this.
Speaker 6: I promised didn't apologize to me, though I apologize to Miles, of course.
Speaker 1: I just feel like you're used to it at this point.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the non apologies, Yeah, a little too used to them at this point.
Speaker 1: All right, should we talk Oppenheimer? Well, I don't think, Miles, you haven't seen Oppenheimer yet?
Speaker 12: Nah?
Speaker 6: Nah? This week though, this week I will go to look at Killian Murphy's spooky face and Imax.
Speaker 2: I think spooky face. I need his botox beautiful face.
Speaker 6: Wait, hold on, okay, wait, what so you Killion he doesn't look haunted as fuck to you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but maybe that's my thing.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm just making sure we're seeing the same thing. I'm not. I'm not knocking you if that's what you're into, but I'm like, he hunted. Uh but I get that. Then that's why he stays working, because you can't fake that face like.
Speaker 1: A good, hollowed out husk of a man person.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, great.
Speaker 1: Have you seen the picture where people like took pictures from the front row of the.
Speaker 10: Imax and it's like it's just so warped because oh, it's just a wall wall sized close up of his face and it's like, man, his right jowl is really the star of this shot.
Speaker 6: They shouldn't, they shouldn't. They shouldn't sell seats that close to the fucking screen, because I saw a barbie in the second row and I was definitely testing like the limits of like what is too close to a screen because it's like a bigger screen, and I was like, my head was like jerking around. But then also like the perspective does shift a bit when you're the viewing angles so acute. Anyway, why am I? Why am I going to complain to the capitalist theaters to be sell less seats? Okay, to make the experience better for everyone?
Speaker 1: Find if you just stand on your seat and in an athletics position and then just look back and forth really fast the whole time.
Speaker 6: That helps. Yeah, blends into one image, all right.
Speaker 1: So Oppenheimer, as we mentioned on our weekend digest, as making way more money than anyone expected, currently has ninety four percent approval rating from critics and audiences on Rotten Tomatoes, and it's coming under some heat for some things that it just kind of glosses glosses over.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I keep I feel like this week I've seen NonStop articles about like, like what the movie gets right, and what is made up? Or are there things like here's the real Oppenheimer story or things you probably didn't know were not there in the Oppenheimer movie. That seems like to be a lot of taking up a lot of space right now as people watch it, are.
Speaker 1: The articles like they actually dropped those bombs on.
Speaker 6: Up?
Speaker 1: Like do you see how big those things were and like super hot? They don't know if you know this, but like that's those bombs like killed a lot of people after it wasn't just him having sex with Florence Pugh all the time in front of Congress. Yeah, yeah, but so I guess Oppenheimer illustrates the devastation and his guilt only through like subjective visions that Oppenheimer has. The whole movie is told from his perspective, right, like stays on the perspective of Oppenheimer himself, which conveniently allows a movie about one of the greatest horrors of modern history to be blockbuster entertainment for mainstream audiences.
Speaker 6: Right, it's like, but he was so conflicted when he made it though, Yeah, so you know, but also people's shadows were burnt into concrete from the play.
Speaker 1: He felt bad yeah, right, right, right, Yeah.
Speaker 6: I don't know, like.
Speaker 2: Hot take, I feel like like it's almost like going to McDonald's, Like I don't go to McDonald's to feel good, Like, yeah, I don't think everybody's going to Oppenheimer to like learn history, like you're just learning about this weird dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think it on some level, Like I get that like as a as a work of like entertainment, it's like, Okay, there's plenty of like bummer shit you can watch if you really want to like drill down into like the atom bomb and shit like that. But I think for like when you're talking about someone who's what they're, what they're, what they gave to the world, and you kind of avoid like what that actually ends up being, then it feels a little bit like wha are you telling the whole story to just kind of focus on him there? Because I I think there is so much complexity there that you can make like a good story out of. But I get why people be like, huh, you kind of glossed over, like what where all that work led? But okay, yeah, big part of the story. Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So one of the details that I writer Jam kind of points out. It also gets glossed over. In addition to the dropping of the bombs in Japan is the land in Los Almos, where the Manhattan Brought Project was based. Was like, first of all, forcibly secured and Indigenous and Hispanic communities were relocated. Lands were seized by armed soldiers who showed up with letters written in English that like the people who lived there couldn't understand because they sent no translators. And part of the reasoning that the military and Appenheimer specifically used to pick Los Almos as the site of the Manhattan Project was because competing sites such as in Utah would have meant evicting white farmers. And they also saw the dispossessed Hispanic and Indigenous residents as a potential quote cheap labor force for the Manhattan Press.
Speaker 6: Oh my god. So they're like, Okay, once they're displaced, they're going to be desperate enough to come work for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's like, even if you're centering his point of view and like his decision making going into this, it is like you were having to do a lot of work on his behalf to just make him seem humane. And the big thing is like and this This part feels wildly cinematic, like the sort of thing that Christopher Nolan would have to explicitly be like, man, that would be an amazing thing to show. Is that, like they knew the area around the Trinity test site was like far from uninhabited. So they're like all these communities who lived around the like where they set off the explosion, who are not warned about the dangers of the experiments and like, so there're like dozens of families within twenty miles and these are like largely poor families and ranchers and farmers. And there were like all these storms on the day that they were supposed to conduct the test, and a physicist warrened Oppenheimer that this could be a cattack astrophe, and Oppenheimer relayed this message to the military by saying, the weather today is whimsical.
Speaker 6: Oh, it'll whimsically carry radioactive fallout miles away.
Speaker 1: Is that what he iss?
Speaker 6: Very whimsically, Oh the whimsy of radio radioactivity? Okay, okay, Yeah.
Speaker 1: He had that cool quote about being become death destroyer of worlds, burning a hole in his pocket, and he was like, I gotta use this thing, man, Like this is gonna fucking rule when we set this thing.
Speaker 6: Dude, you gotta put you know how thick the glasses are, you gotta put on even fucking look at it. It's gonna be fucking wild. Bro. I love though, too, that the guy who told him that was in Rico Fermi. Yeah yeah, and Rika of the Fermi paradox for people who like to talk about like space life out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, make a story about him. Yeah yeah, seriously, So just a little like scene that was omitted. So the a meteorologist warned that the weather that morning was likely to spread fallout far and wide over New Mexico's civilian population, right in the middle of a period of thunderstorm. The meteorologists complained in his journal of the scheduled test, what son of a bitch could have done this? And so as the storm raged in hours before the test, Fermi warns Oppenheimer there could be a catastrophe. Oppenheimer took a break from the reading the poetry of Baudelaire to relay to the military the weather is whimsical thing. I love that he's fucking reading poetry, like just being as he's about to like end the lives of people and like you know, poison generations.
Speaker 6: Right right right, because yeah, that fallout is like a still a legacy to this day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely know about it. It affects people's DNA.
Speaker 2: Also, that quote is so corny, like why, like, I don't know if you're like quoting what the fucking death thing?
Speaker 7: Like that guy shouldn't be allowed to make decisions.
Speaker 6: I don't know, right right, he's like, but he's gonna help us flex our power on the communists. That's the real big part of this too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they went through with the test. It was essentially a dirty bomb by today's standards because it like didn't succeed that well. I think only there was like twenty percent of it that didn't go off, or maybe it was only or yeah, yeah, twenty percent of the core went off and the rest was, you know, scattered across New Mexico and beyond. Literally ruined a batch of film at a Kodak factory in Indiana.
Speaker 6: That's close by. Based on my rough geography and knowledge of the United States, so they're in New Mexico and it blew all the way to end. Oh no, that's very wow.
Speaker 11: Yeah, what.
Speaker 6: Oh boy, that's twelve hundred and sixty seven miles from the middle of New Mexico, Indiana. Okay, so huh huh all in middle America. Yeah right, yeah, yikes. Yeah, and like that wasn't as far as it went. That was where it went and ruined a batch of film, like right, that's how it was still that powerful that far away. The military collected radioactive fallout, and you might assume that was in order to document and make decisions better, but it was totally just based on like legal ass covering. And for thousands of people who lived near the Trinity site, they were awoken that morning. So this is the detail, Like this is the most cinematic, like fucked up depiction of this entire experiment that I could imagine. So the thousands of people who lived near the Trinity site are awoken that morning by a goddamn nuclear blast that a thing that like has not been possible, doesn't exist as far as human assumptions about reality, like human understanding has been caused, right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Most of those people didn't even realize what had happened until the news of the bombing of Japan and their land crops, livestock, and water were irradiated leading to generations of people suffering from various types of cancer. In the weeks after the test, they were never advised that their land crops, livestock, and water may may have been contaminated. Like, it just feels like that's all incredibly cinematic, But we can't tell the story from the perspective of the people and have to do like the Great Man theory of history, where everything's controlled by a protagonist who is sitting with detached amusement and reading poetry and you know, making massive decisions that affect the lives of thousands of people in millions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, honestly, hales, Have Eyes had a better They did a better job of depicting the impacts.
Speaker 6: Yeah, truly, Have Eyes is a story for the people about the downwinders from the fucking Trinity blasts. Yeah, and like again, it is wild too, because to tell that story you have to reveal a lot about the United States government, about how commerce works, about the motivations to just be like, yeah, we're actually don't want to displace white people. We want to displace like Hispanic and Indigenous people. We don't care about the poor people downwind And if they try and come with us with evidence that they've actually suffered because the test thing, we're just going to fucking turn a blind eye because those people have no they they they've never had and never will have any kind of financial recourse due to what happened there. So that's that's still he'll come work for us. So yeah, exactly, it's like, hey, if you want, we'll test your body for a couple bucks. Huh. That could be fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It kind of reminds me when my sister and I we went to Vietnam and we went to over there. They call it the American War, not the Vietnam War. Yeah, and like the pictures in the museum are so much more horrific than anything you've ever been taught over here.
Speaker 6: It's not a gi with like a sleeveless you know, fatigue jacket on with cigarettes in his helmet, singing fortunate son. It's like, yeah, and that's what it was. We don't know about chemical warfare of these other terrible things and napalm and shit like that, right right, Yeah, Yeah, that's always like that's always it's that's what's funny, is like that's what I guess that makes sense because America, like the film industry is not always going to really crank out those real sort of sober eyed depictions of what are like imperial wars end up looking like on the other side, it is going to be like, yeah, there's Oppenheimer. He did that, and yeah, maybe it was kind of like these guys in Germany kicked some butt and then they came back, and there's still just kind of like we're always we're not left with like a real total telling of like the humanity of war. But hey, that's for the European filmmakers to do because they have fantastic anti war films.
Speaker 2: Right, is this movie funded, like, I know, like Top Gun has like military funding behind it.
Speaker 7: Do you know if like Oppenheimer does.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I mean unless they usually like it happens because you want to use the military's toys and they're like, fine, if you want to play with our toys on camera, then like we have like a sayance and stuff. So I'm not sure with this one, but i'd imagine I'd imagine there was some consulting on some level probably, but yeah, I have no idea.
Speaker 7: There's an election coming up, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Right, well, see how this is used for I don't know which party will benefit from Oppenheimer. It seems like Barbie is definitely being used by the right to beat the culture wars to death, but I don't know about Oppenheimer yet.
Speaker 1: I mean, it is crazy like the people who are called the down Winders, who were like directly affected by this, like the fallout, Like the government won't acknowledge or compensate those families. Yeah, that them specifically, they're just like, yeah, nope, that never, we're not talking about that. Yeah, you can't hear you. And yeah, so they again feel erased by history due to the films glaring emission of their story, and erased by the government. And like Biden last year extended the government's Radiation Exposure Compensation Act, but it still doesn't cover anyone affected by the fallout from the Trinity Test, and some lawmakers are trying to use the movie's popularity as a way to finally change that. But so, like, maybe there's a good thing that could come out of this, but it's it doesn't seem like it's based on sort of the narrative trajectory of the movie, that that would happen.
Speaker 6: Right right right, Yeah, I mean, we see this all the time, Like just cancer clusters that pop up near like EPA super fun sites or like or how long it takes for like the EPA or the government to be like, oh, yeah, that is a cluster of cancer cases that was caused by something that happened like in La like where the jet Propulsion Laboratory is, you know where they were like doing a lot of work trying to figure out how rockets, how they can make shit travel very far to either destroy things or send things into space. That contaminated a lot of water like in the San Gabriel Valley that meant and there's these had cancer clusters that popped up that took a while for them to be like, oh, yes, this is okay, so we need to put like a full time water treatment like everywhere near this place, because yeah, we were too busy like playing with chemicals to figure out how to kill people better. It just feels like I can't imagine for every like the groups of downwindows there are, there's you know, there's plenty more. I mean if we think of how long it took for people even in Flint, Michigan to even be acknowledged.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so sorry, I'm just googling how far the Propulsional Laboratory is from my house.
Speaker 1: When what happened.
Speaker 6: Oh, this is in the sixties. It's fine, it's fine. You're you're, you're, you're completely different water district. So it's okay to people in Pasadena and Lochanyata, flint Ridge and Alta Dina that are typically the ones that.
Speaker 7: We don't like that anyway, the park is terrible.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and they didn't let black people own property till very late in the game, so yeah, yeah, yeah, we have our feelings there.
Speaker 1: All right, that's gonna do it for this week's weekly Zeitgeist. Please like in review the show if you like the show means the world of Miles. He he needs your validation.
Speaker 3: Folks.
Speaker 1: I hope you're having a great weekend and I will talk to you Monday. Byem