Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we're giving big Leo energy today because it's my birthday. It's Tuesday, August eighteenth, the best day of the year. And on today's show we welcome a guest who wasn't even born yet when I was her age Rude. It's US Women's national team and Chelsea Ford Alyssa Thompson. We talk about her decision to sign across the Pond in the WSL, leaving her sister Giselle behind at Angel City and her goals looking ahead at the twenty twenty seven Women's World Cup and twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Eight LA Olympics.
Speaker 1: Plus returning with the Banger shipping out of Boston and fellow mascot Curious folks, but don't call us Furreeze, Rejoice, a new mascot is almost here. It's all coming out right after this welcome back slices. Here's what you need to know today. Let's start with the NWSL and a few loose ends from the weekend. On Sunday in Los Angeles, the Washington Spirit played to a newsworthy one to one draw with Angel City FC. After a scoreless first half. Trinity Rodman got the Spirit on the board in the sixty fifth with an absolute beauty of a goal that brings her to ten on the season. But twenty minutes later, Angel City's Alley sent Nor found the equalizer, another absolute banger, marking Centner's first goal and an Angel City kit why so newsworthy well. The game marked the return of a bunch of players, including Sidney LaRue, who played her first minutes for Angel Cities since November twenty twenty four. In March of last year, LaRue shared on social media that she'd decided to step away from soccer to focus on her mental health, and later in the year she also shared her experience with anorexia. She was on the field just briefly on Sunday, getting subbed in during the second minute of second half stoppage time, but it was so good to see her back and good to see her celebrating Disney Princess theme night by dressing as Moleficent for game day arrivals with her kiddos.
Speaker 2: We'll link to that in the show notes. It's worth a click.
Speaker 1: Angel City Savvy King also recorded her first minute April after missing most of the season due to a foot injury. Anne Washington Spirit forward Ashley Hatch also made her return to the pitch from maternity leave. She was subbed on in the eighty second minute, her first minute since May of twenty twenty five. She and her husband welcomed their son Leo in January. Solid Dame Ashley good choice, more NWSL and another triumphant return. Portland Thorns forward Kaya Hanks scored the game winning goal in the Thorns two to one win over the Orlando Pride Saturday night, finding the back of the net in her first game back after tearing her ACL in June of last year. Hanks was subbed on in the eighty seventh minute of the game, with her game winner coming in the sixth minute of second half stoppage time. We'll link to a video of the moment in the show notes because while her goal was incredible, her reaction was even better. Hanks, with her hand over her mouth in shock, was mobbed by her teammates on the pitch. Shout out to the Ion broadcast team for capturing the scenes so beautifully, with the commentary team laying out the importance of the moment and camera operators even finding Hank's mom in the stands after the game, Hanks also shared a special moment with Thorn's teammate Olivia Moultrie, who hugged her while clearly.
Speaker 2: Saying I'm so proud of you.
Speaker 1: Moultrie is now at the start of her own ACL recovery journey after sustaining the injury earlier this month. We'll link to that video as well. More NWSL. We've got two midweek games on the schedule for Tomorrow night, with Racing Louisville hosting the Seattle Rain at six thirty pm Eastern and the Chicago Stars traveling to the Houston Dash for an eight pm Eastern kickoff to the WNBA. There are four games on the schedule tonight, beginning at seven pm Eastern, with the Toronto Tempo hosting the Indiana Fever. It's game two of the Fever's five game road trip, which includes a stretch of four games in four cities in just six days. The Fever have momentum on their side. They've won their last four games, while the Tempo have now dropped ten in a row. But Tempo fans do have some good news to celebrate. Britney Sykes is getting closer to return. Slim returned to practice with the team last week for the first time in nearly two months after going down with a foot entry back in June. Now it's not clear yet when she'll be ready to play, but here's hoping it's soon. Meantime For all the mascout lovers out there, like me. Front of the show, Josh Bart says, I'm by furious pronounce Sheefer. This Tempo Fever game has been circled on my calendar because the Temple will be unveiling its mascot.
Speaker 2: In honor of my birthday.
Speaker 1: I'm sure if this mascot pays homage to Toronto Faves the Raccoon, I will die because I am obsessed with raccoons aka trash pandas other popular guests have been a Canadian moose or a Canadian beaver, both still good. Can't wait, y'all, A new mascot is about to enter the villa. Happy birthday to me. More WNBA and other games tonight, including the Connecticut Sun hosting Los Angeles Sparks at Boston's TD Garden, marking the third straight year and likely the last the Sun will play a home game at the venue. It's expected to be a bittersweet game for Boston fans who were hoping to see the team move to the city after Celtics minority owner Steve Paliuca had agreed to buy the team for three hundred and twenty five million from the Mohegan Tribe, a deal that was blocked by the WNBA. So this could be the Sunset game at TD Garden during the Sun's Sunset season. More WNBA. At nine pm Eastern tonight, the Las Vegas Aces host the Atlanta Dream. Ahead of that one, make sure to check out ESPN senior writer Katie Barnes's recent profile of Angel Reese and her legendary rebounding skills. Katie tries to unpack how and why Reese Gott's so good at the skill. Quote She's tall, but not the tallest. She's quick, but not the quickest. She's bouncy, but not the bounciest. Some point to her vision, some point to her motor, others point to her mind. Some even wonder if there's something just beyond human understanding going on, something closer to say clairvoyance, says Reese, sitting in a court side chair in a quiet moment at Atlanta's Gateway Center Arena. I just know end quote. We'll link to Barnes story in the show notes. Finally, one last piece of w NAE news. The league revealed via social clip that they'll announce next year's All Star Game location today, So keep your eyes peeled. Just another birthday present to MOI. Thanks WNBA. We got to take a break. When we come back, we head to jolly Old England to chat with Melyssa Thompson joining us now. She's a forward for Chelsea in the Women's Super League and for the United States women's national soccer team. A former Gatorade National Player of the Year, she was selected first overall in the twenty twenty three NWSL draft by Angel City while she was still in high school, and she scored five minutes into her professional debut while still finishing her senior year at Harvard Westlake.
Speaker 2: She's a TikTok.
Speaker 1: Dancing queen, and she made a cameo in the Jennifer Garner Netflix movie Family Switch. It's Alyssa Thompson, Hilissa. Hi, have you recovered from she Weekend in Vegas yet?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think I'm just finally recovering from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were there real quick though, right, Just just a short amount of time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just for the panel and the Boys and Girls Club.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Vegas didn't get you, like it maybe potentially got me, you know, as we know everything that happened to Vegas days there. So I want to talk about Chelsea first of all, because in March you helped them beat Manchester United in the FA Women's League Cup Final. I want to talk about that game because that's your first big senior win. Twenty one thousand people in attendance. You know, this is a huge moment for you in your career. Were you nervous, were you more excited than nervous, like take us to that day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I was pretty nervous playing in the first final with Chelsea. The team as a whole is I kind of used to being in finals and winning trophies, so being able to be a part of that was really cool. I was definitely nervous on the day, but super excited to play in it, and I feel like being able to win that with the team was just super special and I feel like it was just another stepping sown into where I want to continue being.
Speaker 1: We're just under a year out from the World Cup and LA twenty twenty eight is right around the corner, so Emma Hayes is going to start making big decisions and wanting to see.
Speaker 2: All of her players together.
Speaker 1: Do you take into account the timing of those big international opportunities when thinking about where you're playing your club footy, whether that's because you want to stay on Emma's radar or you just want to be on the same sort of timeline and season footprint of the majority of the US team players.
Speaker 5: No, I don't really think about that. I think the most important thing for players like going into the World Cup is playing and being in form, So I hope that that's what I'll be doing this season, and hopefully just doing better than I did last season and putting myself in the best position to get picked for the World Cup.
Speaker 1: What are the things you're working on as you look ahead to this season personally?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think just being more clinical in front of goal, being better in my crossing. Yeah, I think overall, get it like morrises more goals than I did last season, and just making good decisions on the ball to get the team going forward and get us into good scoring positions.
Speaker 1: You already picked up some hardware in the WSL, so you adjusted, Well, I want to get to that transition in a little bit. But you know, speaking of the World Cup and this US team, you were on the US team for the World Cup in twenty twenty three, but you missed out on the Olympic squad that won gold.
Speaker 2: In Paris in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Did you get direction from Emma on what you needed to improve to get back into the mix or why that decision was made on that twenty twenty four roster.
Speaker 5: I feel like I didn't get much direction because she was coming in new so she didn't really know a lot of our players anyways, like kind of just from Afar and coming into the Olympics. I feel like it was like just a big rush, so she needed to focus on the team, not the people that weren't didn't make it. But I feel like for me, I took a lot from that experience, Like being able to go to the World Cup was real, and doing it at eighteen was something I never like like expected for myself. So I was really nervous then and I think not getting selected for the Olympics and then winning was kind of something that fueled me. And I knew that I needed to be better going into the Olympics. I didn't have like I wasn't in very good form and I was still pretty young. So I think having that experience on making the roster fueled me to be the player that I am today and continue to push. And I think after that I played really well and just grew in confidence in myself and I knew what I can bring to the table and I just had to keep repeating that.
Speaker 4: To myself to say at the level that I was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's sort of hard sometimes to picture how much work goes in during a cycle and in between the big international tournaments, and there are other players who have had kind of similar experiences. Male Swanson is a great example of that, right She played on a US international team for a big tournament really young, and then was out and back in and then now she'll be fighting her way back in post pregnancy.
Speaker 2: So were there players that you talked to during or after.
Speaker 1: The Olympic run about how to keep your confidence and your sense of self heading into the next cycle.
Speaker 5: I think I leaned a lot on my club teammates at Angel City. Kristin Press and Ali Riley were super helpful. I mean, my sister. Like, honestly, all my teammates there gave me so much confidence. I don't think I would be where I am right now without them during that time, because I felt really low and like I wasn't good enough, because I wasn't and that was like a hard truth to know and understand. But I feel like my teammates were like, no, you are good enough. You have a lot of potential, and there are just small things that you need to do in order to be on that team or be at your full potential. And them telling me that really helped me.
Speaker 4: And I think.
Speaker 5: Like them just looking to me kind of as someone that can help the team without scoring or without us is sing was really helpful to my confidence. And I think they, yeah, just I owe a lot to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you started so young that it's hard not to just feel like the arrow's going to keep going up forever and eventually there are going to be roadblocks or challenges to face, and it sounds like you've got a good support system. You mentioned your sister Giselle. You used to play together at Angel City. You were the first pair of sisters name to the starting lineup of the same team, and then last year in the She Believes Cup, the second pair of sisters to play for the national team in the same match. How difficult was it for you to tell her that you were leaving to go play across the pond.
Speaker 5: Honestly, I feel like she was involved in the conversation a lot, and like knew that it was a possibility that I could be leaving, And when, like I first got told that Chelsea was the opportunity, she was like super excited for me and like, honestly couldn't believe it, Like I couldn't believe it either. So I think we both knew that it was something that I wanted to do and I've always wanted to play in Europe and yeah, just play overseas. So I think she wasn't surprised, but she was definitely sad. We were both sad that we were leaving each other, but we knew that it was a good stepping point in both of our careers for her to be playing at Angel City by yourself and maybe be over here by ourselves, like kind of having our separate.
Speaker 4: Time that we didn't really get to have, like growing up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're so tight with your sisters and your family, and then playing at Angel City allowed you to stay in your home market. So this is a big leap, and you were having tremendous success individually in the NWSL, so it had to take a lot of confidence to decide to go play in a totally different league in a totally different country and have to reprove yourself there.
Speaker 2: Where did you find that confidence.
Speaker 5: I think I felt really good and where I was at at Angel City, and when I started to feel comfortable, I feel like I'm not growing. And I think at that point I was getting comfortable and where I was, and I wanted to keep growing and I don't want to like stop learning and being a better player. And I think this next step was just like the next stepping stone for me to continue to be a better player, learn from different people, being in a different league with different types of play and tactics and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: So I feel like I.
Speaker 5: Had confidence in myself just because of how I was doing at Angel City, but I also was like, I know this is going to be hard, and I didn't put a lot of pressure on myself to do amazing right when I came in. I just wanted to learn a lot and I knew that coming over here, I was going to grow.
Speaker 4: If I played bad, I was going to grow. If I played good, I was gonna grow.
Speaker 5: So I felt like it was a win win for me and I just like want to learn and be the best player I can beat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mentioned some of the differences, and I wanted to ask, like, what stands out the most about playing in the WSL and how it differs from the NWSL.
Speaker 5: I feel like it's just it's really cool to play Champions League here. I think that's the biggest difference. Like we play teams in Italy, Spain and you get to see other tactics from other countries that in the US it's kind of like we're playing the same teams. So I think it was cool to be able to play in Champions League and have that like different like teams that you get.
Speaker 1: To play, Yeah, like approaching strategically differently based on how they're setting up in their approach to the game.
Speaker 2: What about the competition level?
Speaker 1: One thing I've heard about the WSL is really competitive at the top, but maybe not all the way down. Do you find that you miss some of the parody of the NWSL, where every single game you really got to get up for.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I feel like here too, like most of the games are pretty competitive. I felt kind of like, I mean, the NWSL is very competitive too, but playing here, I feel like every game is competitive. It's also competitive to like start and play even on your own team, So I feel like that is like an extra factor too, and I feel like that is something that makes me be a better player, and like work really hard in training too and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you mentioned that a lot of your teammates are sort of used to winning. Chelsea's a very dominant team. You came from an Angel City team that was dominant in so many categories except for you know, when it came to trophies and winning. How does that change your perspective on the game and maybe even your approach getting used to and accustomed to being on a team that expects to come out on top.
Speaker 5: I always say, like the US national team is expected to win and have trophies, and that is the pressure that the US national team has. So I feel like I had that experience coming in, but feeling it.
Speaker 4: Every day is something that's very different.
Speaker 5: And feeling every game knowing that people expect you to win and it's not like you guys are the underdogs. It was, I think something that I knew coming in, but it is something that I try not to think about a lot, because then it's going to just stress you out. I think if our team, if Chelsea just plays like the best versions of ourselves, like we all back each other. So I think it's easy to think about it in that way. Once you start thinking about, oh, we have to win because everyone expects us to win, it's just more pressure.
Speaker 1: Sounds like that's a little bit of the uncomfortableness you were looking for in trying something new and going across the pond. What else is making you uncomfortable right now about playing with Chelsea that you think is helping you grow.
Speaker 5: I think just living in a different place, so far away from home with none of my family, that is something that I've had dealt with over the past year. And I think coming back to London, I felt really good about where I was and like really excited to come back and like experience this place. Yeah, just growing up and getting older and I feel like it's like doing my own laundry or like cooking for myself and just like grow things that you do growing up that I didn't really think about as much when I was home, But I think it's really cool. Like living alone and being somewhere new where I get to try new things and be around new people is uncomfortable, but it's like exciting.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like college for you.
Speaker 1: Frankly, you know, you came straight out of high school, and most of us get to college and realize we don't know how to do our laundry, or we suck at cooking, or we get really excited about moving in with roommates and practicing being an adult in like a safe space where we're learning. And so you kind of get that experience out there, which is really cool. You mentioned finding your confidence both through your own proof of ability but also through teammates and support systems, and you're working with Dove on their Body Confident collective, trying to raise awareness for some of the challenges and confidence that young girls have that caused them to walk away from sports When you were young, you were such a phenom. Was there any point growing up where you weren't confident in yourself as an athlete or as a person. M And you don't have to lie, you don't have to say yes if it's not true, if you were always confident, that's awesome and I want to hear that too.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think it's like more of a quiet confidence, but I think it also comes from my sister. I think she gives me so much confidence. And we did everything together growing up, and I knew if she thought I played well, then I thought I played well, or she was like, you're doing so good, like I believe her, like she's like my I don't know, like my voice inside my head, but she's a real person. So it was really nice like having that growing up, and I think she gave me so much confidence. When she came to ans Or City, I felt like honestly a different person because I had her, and I think that was really helpful growing up throughout my childhood being able to play with her because we played with boys and that was scary, but her being there made me feel like, oh, I don't care what, like if they think I'm good just all things, I can hang with them, then it's fine. And it's weird to think that because she's my little sister, but I do feel like just gives me like the utmost support and love and I feel like she wouldn't judge me if I had a bad day because she knows and she gets it. So I think coming here, like I've had to grow my own confidence a lot from like my own myself, because it's not gonna come always for my teammates or like for my sister because she's not here. So I think that is also something that I'm working on and continuing to be better at. But I think I've always been able, Like since the last few years, just telling myself that no one's you has helped me a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: I love that it's your younger sister, like you mentioned, because there's a lot of great research into young people. All they really need is one adult who believes in them, who's paying attention, who's encouraging them. But I love that for you that could also just be a friend slash sister, slash teammate. How important do you think it is for parents, coaches, teammates, mentors, all of those people to be supportive and create an environment where a young person can want to stay in the game. How much do you think that impacts like girls' decisions to stay in sports or not.
Speaker 5: I think it impacts a lot I think personally some people are really driven by themselves and are able to like block out all the noise. But I think growing up being younger, like you want to hear people are validating you, especially like coaches and parents to know that you're like kind of doing the right thing because this is your first time like doing I don't know any sport and stuff like that. So I think it's super helpful for parents, teachers, coaches to uplift like the younger people around them and be able to help them learn in that way. I think that has helped me a lot, just getting confidence from the people around me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I want to do a quick speed round about your experience across the pond.
Speaker 2: So what's your favorite British food?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: I haven't tried many British foods to be honest. Oh actually, okay, my favorite British food is Weeda bix. It's like a cereal and I have it every morning. It's really good.
Speaker 1: Is that the one in ted Lasso where it's just one giant square?
Speaker 2: Yeah it is.
Speaker 1: And then you put the milk in it like dissolves or how do you eat it? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I make it like kind of like an oatmeal.
Speaker 5: I put like protein powder in it and like honey cinnamon, I make it good.
Speaker 4: It's good.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're really like living the ted lass of life. You just round in London and now you're like all comfortable. What's your least favorite British food? Has anyone made you try something that you're like, yeah, I'm not into that.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm not a big beans person, so I'm not going to try beans on toast. I just feel like, see even seeing it sometimes in the morning, I'm like, oh wow, yeah, that's a lot of tough, but they really love it beans on toast.
Speaker 2: What's your favorite British slang?
Speaker 4: Mmm?
Speaker 5: I like in it a lot, or like they say like mad before things. I just I love their accents, like it's my favorite thing I think about being the Yeah, me too.
Speaker 2: I love a British accent.
Speaker 1: I also learned very recently that when people from England say quite, they mean not really yeah, And when we say quite in America we mean like more like, oh, it's quite good means it's really good. And in Britain when they say it's quite good, it means it's like it's a it's okay, it's all right, yeah, yeah, that's like totally different. Are you finding that you accidentally say words with a British accent sometimes? Like you know, people go to the South and all of a sudden they're like saying y'all all the time.
Speaker 5: No, I wish honestly, like I want to start talking like them, so hopefully.
Speaker 1: Soon don't do it. We are the old olds like me. Remember when Madonna started dating a British guy and suddenly had an accident. We were like, that's not how it works. Like you're not from England. Now, what's your favorite place to shop when you're in town in London?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: Selfridges? Oh it's like what do you get there in store?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It has everything so good.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's the biggest culture shock adjusting to living in England?
Speaker 5: I I never like had to hang my clothes so like when I always did washer like there. My apartment only has a washer dryer, so it's like annoying to because it shrinks all my stuff.
Speaker 4: So now I hang up my clothes.
Speaker 1: Oh, it like drives automatically as part of the cycle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like a washer dry Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's no good. No, then you can't take out the ones that you don't want to dry exactly, Okay, okay, And then I think you probably would have to say driving on the other side, based on what I read about you hitting a lot of curbs.
Speaker 4: I honestly am so much. I like it.
Speaker 5: Driving feels normal now like it doesn't good Like, Yeah, I don't hit a lot of curbs anymore.
Speaker 1: And then, other than your sister and your family, what's the thing you missed most about living in the US.
Speaker 5: The thing is most about like being in la is the beach, Yeah, in the sunset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 1: Well, we're excited to see all your success in Chelsea and really excited for the US women's national team to get going again ahead of the World Cup.
Speaker 2: So thanks so much forgiving us sometime.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thanks to Alisa for taking the time In't It and Don't Forget? You can now watch full length good game interviews on the iHeart.
Speaker 2: Women's Sports YouTube channel.
Speaker 1: We got to take another break when we return. A reminder that in both life and podcasting, voting only works if you get the ballot.
Speaker 2: In on time. Welcome back slices.
Speaker 1: We love that you're listening, but we want you to get in the game every day too, so here's our good game play of the day. Keep sending us your responses to our Epicenter of Women's Sports convo.
Speaker 2: We've loved hearing what you thought.
Speaker 1: For those of you who missed it, we laid out the case for a bunch of US cities, with Alex ultimately voting for the Bay Area and Biank and I opting for Portland, Oregon, US, making Portland the de facto and democratically selected good game winner for the Epicenter of Women's Sports in the US. Now, we've already heard a bunch of you, including several who were pumped about Portland's win, like Corina LeBlanc, former Profooty player and Thorn's GM now executive VP of Strategic Growth Development for RASH Sports, which owns the Portland Thorns and Portland Fire, and the host of the aptly named Epicenter of Women's Sports podcast, so you know she was on board with our pick. We also heard from Slice Michelle, who called in to share her excitement about Portland winning.
Speaker 3: I am hooting and hollering after listening to the Epicenter of Women's Sports episode as I drive through the beautiful city of Portland and still so thrilled to hear that we were chosen as the good game winner at least for this year. You guys hit the nail in the head. There's so much here.
Speaker 6: That to offer for women's sports.
Speaker 3: There are a few things, though, that you.
Speaker 7: Guys did not mention, which includes the two timetional championship winning University of Portland Pilots, which is the collegiate home to many soccer grades like Shannon McMillan, Tipney milbrit Meagan Rapino.
Speaker 6: And Christine Sinclair. And of course you can't forget our brand new shiny USL team, the Portland cherry Bombs, and so everything here is literally coming up roses in the Rose City when it comes to women's sports.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Michelle, thank you for that.
Speaker 1: And also, how did I not even mention the Portland Cherry Bombs when I was talking about all my enthusiasm for the city of Portland. Regular listeners will know that I am deeply obsessed with that team in all of its march and their mascot.
Speaker 2: So thanks for the reminder.
Speaker 1: We also got a few late stump speeches for cities, like this one from Gina Kennedy, who wrote, in quote, my too late. Vote for women's sports epicenter is the Twin Cities because of all the things you listed. Plus we have the champion Minnesota Vixen women's professional football team, which is the longest continuously operating women's tackle football team, established nineteen nine nine. And we have Wham, a huge multi division women's hockey league that welcomes beginners through former college players and includes two senior levels. Port Landing's are pretty awesome too, though, end quote.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Gina.
Speaker 1: Yes, the Twin Cities was definitely in the mix, and those things just add to its magic splendor, but it did not win. Speaking of stump speeches out in Arizona, Sarah Mensch was happy to hear Phoenix included, and her voicemail on the show last week, she wrote, Big Citrus, thank you so much for featuring my case for Phoenix as the epicenter of women's sports today. So happy to rep my city and provide some laughs and fodder for good game, and she incorporated an image of herself that said Mensh for Mayor of Phoenix Women's Sports and wrote note, I know we're not supportive of AI good game, but I'm not the world's greatest graphic designer and.
Speaker 2: I needed some help, so I hope you'll excuse me for this. Thanks again.
Speaker 1: And since my day job is strategic communications and I used to be the comms director for the mayor of Phoenix and worked in politics, it was nice to be reminded that I am indeed pretty good at it.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 1: Seriously, Sarah, I did not know any of that about you, and after your voicemail you heard me instantly be like Sarah for may or, Sarah for president, So you got.
Speaker 2: Those stump speeches down.
Speaker 1: We also heard from a few slices who wondered why their city wasn't in the conversation. La Atlanta, DC area folks especially were irked that the nation's capital city didn't feature in our discussion, but we did say right in the show guys that we were only going to discuss cities that got votes, and given that we didn't get any nominations for DC prior to our selection show, it's kind of like asking for a recount when your name wasn't on the ballot in the first place, So there's always next time. The epicenter is a moving target, not a fixed destination, so maybe in a few years the nominations and the final vote will change. In fact, Slice, Scretch and Test might have put us onto the city looking to battle for the spot in a few years, because she forwarded an article from Philadelphia Magazine claiming that Philadelphians are convinced the city is about to become you guessed it, quote America's epicenter of professional women's sports. Honestly, we love how you biquitous that phrase has become. It just signals how valuable it is now to be a hub for women's sports, and it reveals how many cities are battling to be the best. And we all know competition is key to growth and investment, So the more the merrier when it comes to contenders for the Epicenter of women's sports. We always love to hear from you, so hit us up on email good game at wondermediaetwork dot com, or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two oh four fifty seventy and don't forget to subscribe, Rate and review, y'all.
Speaker 2: It's easy.
Speaker 1: Watch Birthday Bucks rating two of two good causes review Thank you for the gift of questions in honor of our birthday episode airing tomorrow you'll hear them, and they were the best present to get. But I do have one more ask. If you feel so inclined, I'd love it if you donated today's coffee money or a little bit more to one of two great orgs supporting trans folks. It's been a tough stretch of late, only made worse by the ridiculous Sophie Cunningham driven news cycle in the w and a little bit of feel good could go a long way, especially for the folks working hard to fight anti trans laws and support our trans friends. Advocates for Trans Equality and athlete Ally, which you remember as founded by friend of the show Hudson Taylor, are two great places you can support right now. We'll put links to both of them in the show notes. These days, I've been especially into giving back on the day you're usually receiving, and even more so after reading a post by poet Megan Fally last week in honor of what would have been her spouse Andrea Gibson's fiftieth birthday. Fali wrote, quote, last year, on your birthday, all you wanted to do was take me shopping. I didn't understand it first, but somewhere between the dressing room and the mirror.
Speaker 2: I caught you.
Speaker 1: Watching me, not the close, not how they fit, just me smiling without thinking about it. That was what you were after shopping for my smile? Is that what birthdays become when you know you're running out of them? Not about what you get, but about what you give away before you go?
Speaker 2: End quote. I love that.
Speaker 1: Let's keep giving things away before we go. Now it's your turn, y'all, Rate and review, Thanks for listening, See you tomorrow. Good game, Melissa, Good game, and welcome back, Sidney LaRue you how far I have to scroll down on website menus to get to my birth year. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are.
Speaker 2: Alex Azzi and Bianca Hillier.
Speaker 1: Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rutter, Lucy Jones, Britney Martinez, and Gianna Palmer. Production assistants from Avery LOFTUS and I'm your host, Sarah Spain