Speaker 1: If your football team had one option in their playbook, the results probably wouldn't be great. The same could be said for your investments. Cibo index options like SPX and xsp can help expand your investing strategies with cash settlement and potential tax advantages. If you're ready for a more dynamic game plan, head to Better with Options dot Com. Cebo life is better with options, Your investments.
Speaker 2: Could be too.
Speaker 1: There are risks associated with Cibo company products. Review the disclosures and disclaimers at cbo dot com slash us underscore disclaimers.
Speaker 2: Welcome in What's Right with Nick Wright episode on our first episode where the NBA Playoffs this season ever got going. It has already been an unbelievable three days. We are going to be lighting a damn beam shortly. The Lakers are going to a title. The Warriors might be cooked forever. The East is wide open. It's just been a brilliant first few days of the NBA Playoffs. Couldn't be more exciting, couldn't be better. We also have a new highest paid player in the NFL. We have WWE style stumps. We have so much to get into and at the end of today's show, We are going to talk about some real world stuff as there was a tragedy in my hometown while I was there this past weekend and it actually, to me, is a symptom of a far larger issue. So we will get into that at the end of the show. But before we do any of that, For people that have missed last few episodes and they're like, hey, where's the tall goof, that's Demonse. He's my typical co host. He has moved to Los Angeles, sent some bizarre tweets, gone to a Dodger game, bought a car, got an apartment, started his office job at Fox. He will be back in a few months. For the next few weeks. In his stead is his younger sister, Deora. Deora, you did your first show on a regular grading scale would have been a six and a half out of ten. On a first show grading scale, you get an eight and a half. Your second show was a solid eight out of ten on no curve. We're gonna see if we can continue the upward trajectory today. Why not. I complimented you eight out of ten on your second show ever was great. So Diora will be the one guiding the show shortly. But first, and don't forget high energy and nunci eight loud. Let's let's do this. Let's do this. What's not on today's show. Not on the show today is his triple j Jaron Jackson Junior winning the Defensive Player of the Year, the Texans listening to golfers for the number two pick, and Dan Snyder is selling the Commanders, which matt Ford I think called the greatest day in his life as a Washington Commanders fan. Shout out to matt Ford for being the only Washington Commanders fan I know. Good for him. Now to the matt Ford, by the way, as our fearless leader, our fearless leader used to be a guy.
Speaker 3: What was this?
Speaker 2: Gab Gabe got something? I'm not sure. He doesn't really come around that often anymore. Theoretically he's the boss, but matt Ford has taken over for him succession style forced him out. All right, Diorra, what are we doing to start the show today? Actually, I know what we're starting with today, but you go ahead and tell the arts, okay.
Speaker 3: All right, So let's start with the game from late last night, King's Warriors.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 3: In two great games, the Kings outplayed the Warriors down the struts and the beam, and in Game two, Draymond showed how rattled Golden State was getting ejected for a w w E style stomp.
Speaker 2: Okay, first of all, great energy, great job. Second of all, look at the beam. Look at the beam that they're putting. This is why you should watch on YouTube for these added elements. All right, go ahead and ask the question.
Speaker 3: Will this young team be the be the one to end the Warriors old man dynasty?
Speaker 2: Okay, the answer is yes, and that's big picture, that's macro. Let's go micro. How is this happening? Why are the Kings up to nothing? Well, and this is where I'm sorry, but I've gotta throw some shade if I may, I gotta throw a little shade at not. I think basketball podcasters actually do a really good job of watching the entire league. I don't know that many sports TV folks, such as myself, I don't know how many of them were actually watching the Kings this year. I know I was, and I know that's why I picked the Kings to win the series. That's why I said the idea that playing the Kings in Round one is some grand prize, now, is it? Better than playing the Suns and round one. I did believe that, But the idea that the Kings were just gonna be walked all over you had and watched them. This offense is undeniably historically great. You then add to the fact that Dearon Fox this year was the most clutch player in the sport by a couple standard deviations, but massively leading rest of the sport in clutch points the field go for all of it. You then add to the fact that for this particular matchup, why is this matchup so bad for the Warriors? Well a couple of reasons. One is who coaches the Kings, Mike Brown? Where was he Golden State? So what does he know all the Warriors' tricks, what actions they're gonna try to run, what their counters are going to be. You then add this fact the Warriors were a historically awful road team, So the idea that the Warriors were gonna fall down two a lot of people could have seen that coming. Well, Nick, or is it now gonna be two to two after four games? Is next to her in Golden State? Maybe? However, the Kings this year better on the road than at home because offense travels the Kings this year. I know people always say defense travels great, offense travels everywhere. The Kings this year the best road team in the entire Western Conference. So if the Kings have all those things going for them, why were they just the three seeds? Well, their defense was terrible. But what was terrible about their defense their room protection. Guess what the Warriors don't do attack the bestt all those reasons, this is a terrible matchup for Golden State. The Kings can shoot with them. That's how they won Game one, and they won Game two by locking in defensively forcing some tough shots. And then once again, both of these games were tied with a few minutes left, and in both of these games, the Kings out executed Golden State down the stretch. So that's the big picture, Macro. Now we get smaller Draymond yesterday. So Draymond can't help himself, and his explanation after the game did not help his cause. When he's like, well, what do you want? He didn't say it was an accident. I slipped. I was just trying to get said, what do you want me to do? They keep grabbing me, which coming from Draymond is rich considering in game one we saw him lay on Demonts Sabonis to try to get the Warriors a fast break. The idea that because Sabonus was holding his ankle, you can stop him like that is an absurdity, and Draymond might have cost him that game. He got a flagrant too, and then was ejected. Do they win if he plays? I don't know, but they have a better chance if he plays, because they don't trust Kaminga, they don't trust pool Looney was in foul trouble. So that then leads to some really good questions long term and short term about Draymond. So go ahead, Diora, what do you think this means for his future? Well, he might be suspended for game three. I believe what he did is suspendable. I don't think given his history, he can get any benefit of the doubt. And I knows they might say, well, we threw him out of game two, so do we really need suspend him. I think an intentional, full force stump on a player's chest is a suspendable offense. So that's the short term future. The long term future is and I said this two weeks ago, but nobody wanted to listen and now, and I guess I should take this as a compliment, but I don't when I say things on TV and on this podcast, and then a week, ten days, two weeks later, I turn on the competing sports television network and I see what I said is their topic, but with like, hey, could this be Draymond's last series with the Warriors? Of course it could be. I think it will be. He has a player option after this year. I believe if he opts in, then obviously he's got another year with him. But I think he's going to opt out and ask for a new deal, and I do not think Golden State's gonna give it to him. The year can't start with Draymond sucker punching a teammate and then come close to ending with him being thrown out of a playoff game for a cheap shot, and all throughout the middle, the team's mediocre because they can't win road games, because they can't defend, because their emotional leader, Draymond has lost his authority to lead because he sucker pucks a teammate and he's not as effected mentally as he once was. And then say yeah, that's a guy I want to give one hundred million dollars two into his mid to late thirties. Not gonna happen. So the Warriors as we know them are I believe in their final days, Steph will be there, play will be there, Wiggins will be there. Pool even if they don't want him, there is gonna be there. But that core Steph, Clay Draymond. They went to six finals, they won four titles. I think they have about ten days left together, and I think we're gonna see the final game that they play together. It's gonna happen in Northern California, either in their arena or in the King's Arena here in the next ten to twelve days, and it's gonna be one of the major storylines of the summer. You have one more follow up I see in the rundown go ahead.
Speaker 3: Do you think the Kings are the Jags of the NBA?
Speaker 2: For me, it is very interestingct thing. They're not my favorite team, but I do actually respect them the way the rest of the media refused to. Also similarly, I picked the Jags, who were the home team in Round one of the playoffs, the home underdog to beat the Chargers. They did that, but then I said their story was going to end because the next round they were playing my team, the Kansas City Chiefs. The Kings are the home team playing, but they're the underdogs playing the Warriors. I picked them for the next round. They're playing my team for the time being, the Lakers, and I will pick against them there. So there's a lot of a lot of similarities.
Speaker 3: So yes or no for me?
Speaker 2: Kind of the Kings have a beam, the Jags have a prince, and like the damn beam, look at that beam? Do your look at it? And the beam we have in studio on television today is going to be glorious. I guess there are some similarities there as well. For the Jags, I brought in the trumpeters. For the Kings, we bought an industrial sized beam. It's great, all right, all right? Do you or I almost messed up there. Let's go to the next topic and keep up this great energy. You are doing excellent. This is how nine out of ten just demands a month to get a nine out of ten. Next.
Speaker 3: Okay, So the Lakers star duo of and Austin Reeves and Ruey.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's their star duo. I get it.
Speaker 3: Okay, go ahead, that's incredible on Sunday, and with the Grizzlies down three starters, could Lebron actually advance? Or are you and are you already planning a parade because you know you're always on the Lebron's side, or do you realize that it's just game one?
Speaker 2: What is just game one? But do I think that thing is coming up Lebron right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But do you always thinks I think things are always coming not.
Speaker 2: Always, more often than not, yes, and more often than not, I'm correct. I mean, the guy went to eight straight finals, nine finals and ten years, won four titles in a nine year stretch. Was pretty good. I mean, he's pretty good. When the years he didn't win the make the one year he didn't make the finals, he got hurt. Uh. Then two of those finals losses came against the greatest, you know, arguably not arguably inarguably the greatest offensive team ever, the Warriors when they added Kevin Durant. But let's talk, let's talk about the hero. And now this couldn't be breaking better for the Lakers. Oh gosh, just couldn't be. No, it just couldn't be. The Suns you're seeing their lack of depth and chemistry. Already. The Warriors, who a lot of people thought were scary, are down oh two. The Kings, who I respect, But what did I say was the King's biggest issue? Rim defense, interior defense. The Lakers have Anthony Davis and Lebron James, and then you have the Grizzlies, who now John Morant looks like he broke a few fingers. He might be out for Game two. The Lakers already, he'll only be out for Game two. I'm not sure, but I think he will be out for Game two. And we'll see if they try to do a rap or whatever. But it's on his shooting hand, so even if he plays, he's going to be less effective. They were already down two of their bigs and they just won a game getting a by his standards. See, yeah, call it a C level game from Lebron James, the old Lebron feel out game, not gonna do too much, try to get shots for other people. See what the defense is trying to do. When Lebron teams win game one of a series, they're twenty seven and two in those series and they just won game one, and John might be out for Game two, and they could not only steal home court, but they could go up two to oh on the road on Memphis tomorrow. Yeah, and then I believe you're gonna get a Kings team that is coming off, you know, the greatest moment in the franchise in twenty some years. Maybe a bit of an emotional letdown. It's a tough matchup for the Kings against the Lakers. Yeah, I'm right now. I feel like the Lakers are the favorites in the West, and then out.
Speaker 3: East, are like your favorite in the East.
Speaker 2: In the West, you mean, but maybe we're in the East though we are. Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, we are in the ease, and then out East Giannie is banged up. Harden unfortunately, is looking like playoff Harden. Now the Celtics are looming. But I'll tell you right now, man, the idea of a Lakers Celtics NBA Finals, oh my goodness, old rivals, it'd be unbelievable. So yeah, I do think everything's coming up Lakers. Yeah, I'm planning the parade. And if they could make quick work of Memphis and get some rest going into Round two, Oh my gosh, the whole league was put on notice by the fact that Lebron was in third gear that entire game and the Lakers won going away. That is a scary sign for everybody, all right, Next.
Speaker 3: Okay, while the Kings were enjoying their first playoff win in seventeen years, you did some digging. Steph had a chance in the final minute for the Warriors in Game one, but missed again, then had some bricks in game three.
Speaker 2: Game two. Yeah, that's not your fault. It says game three, but it should say game two.
Speaker 3: Oh, game two. You did some research to see just how bad Steph. Steph isn't the clutch What did you find?
Speaker 2: Well, so this is actually not really an indictment on step Steph has not been great at the most clutch playoff shots in his career. But I was doing this research to see how Steph rings and then the same thing kept popping up, and so I think we can You guys can throw on the screen whatever the first tweet of mine that you have, and we can discuss it. Because so this was the first one I wrote after Saturday. Steph is now three or thirteen on game tying or go ahead three's in the final minute of playoff games. Here's the full list of guys who have taken ten such shots. So this is the data only goes back to ninety six ninety seven, and everyone who's taken there's only ten guys who have taken. Again, the scenario here was three pointers attempted to tire or take the lead in the final minute of playoff games. Ray Allen was ten of sixteen, which is an absurdity, Damian Lillard's five of ten, which is great, and then you have Ross who's one of fourteen, not surprising, Durant three of sixteen, steph three of thirteen. But what jumped out to me was the late great Kobe Bryant, who everyone who argues Kobe should be in the goat conversation, Kobe's better than Lebron. The number one thing they go to is killer in the clutch. Who do you want taking a shot? And over the last twenty six years, the only person worse at game tying or go ahead threes in the last minute of the playoff games than Kobe Bryant was Russell Westbrook Kobe three of seventeen. And that then brought me to my next tweet, which was again same timeframe last twenty seven years as far back as I have the day all shots, not just threes, in the final minute of playoff games to tie or take the lead, Harden worst of theirs. There's twenty two players that qualify on our screen right now. It actually cuts off the number one guy, which is Ray Allen, the only he's the only guy above fifty percent. He's at fifty two percent. But let me go into this for a moment, because James Harden the worst two of seventeen that is tracks with what you remember Russell Westbrooks second worst three of twenty four. Again, this is playoff games, tie or take the lead, final minute, all shots. And then the second best twenty one of forty four is Lebron and the eighth worst twelve of forty four is Kobe Bryant Michael Jordan. And to be fair to Michael, there's his last years of his career is on there at five of thirteen. But that right there is a jarring stat that I put on television yesterday and Kevin Wilds, I don't know if he was joking or not, said I rejected, which is Kobe played twenty years. Lebron has played twenty years. The universally accepted narrative is Kobe was a fearless killer who always took the shot and was as good of a clutch player ever. Lebron. This is one of the universally accepted narrative. Lebron, this is one of his weaknesses. He looks to pass, he doesn't take those shots, and he's not good at them. Yet they both have played. Kobe played twenty Lebron is in the midst of your twenty amazingly shots in playoff games. Put that tweet back up, if you would please, and then we'll go to the next one. Shots in playoff games to tire take the lead in the final minute. They both took the exact same number forty four in a twenty year career. Kobe made twelve, that's twenty seven percent. Lebron made twenty one. That's forty seven percent, almost double second best percentage of anyone in basketball only to Ray Allen.
Speaker 3: You seem really passionate when talking about your best friend.
Speaker 2: Okay, no, I'm passionate when listen. I do a sports talk show, and he's the greatest athlete of all time, So it does generate some passion. But I'm also passionate in debunking myths. So then so again, exact same number of attempts in their career. Kobe was below average at them, Lebron the second best of anyone. Go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 3: But it's weird how two of the most clutch shots of Lebron's career were made by Ray Allen and Kyrie Irvy.
Speaker 2: Yet well again over the course of and two of the most clutch shots of Michael Jordan's career made by Steve Current John Paxton. The producers right now are setting you up to fail because they are feeding you information to debate with me about something that is not going to work out. Well, yes, I agree, I know you'll always well, no, I agree. I've always thought it's unfair that Lebron's teammates are allowed to make shots. It would be much more fair for the rest of the league. Was like, hey, you're too good, your teammates can't make shots. But then we get to the next thing, which is someone tweeted to me closing out a game is not just about the final minute. Same list for the final six minutes would be far more interesting. So I give you that, which is again the context is the final six minutes. Same thing, last twenty seven years. Everyone that's taken at least sixty shots in the final six minutes of a playoff game to tie or take the lead. Once again. Not good for Steph he's better only than Russ He's thirty three percent. Not good for Kobe he was thirty eight of one point fifteen for thirty three percent. And great for Lebron second best of everyone only to Duncan fifty nine to one forty three for forty one percent. So final six minutes, final half of the final quarter of playoff games, the entirety of both of their careers Kobe took has taken one hundred and fifteen of those. Lebron's taken one hundred and forty of them. Lebron's made more, made a higher percentage. So then someone else tweets to me, now, do five seconds or less. So I gave one minute. They're like, no, that's too small, so give six minutes. And it still shows Kobe below average, Lebron best or second best. So then it says, all right, give me, now let's go the other way. Final five seconds, So I do. Okay, everyone that's taken at least six shots in the final five seconds of a playoff game to tire take the lead. And what we see is Steph is one for six. And by the way, again on if you're watching on the show, they cut it off after Lebron, the top two are actually Chris Middleton and Reggie Miller. Reggie Miller was five to nine, Chris Middleton was three of six. But the numbers. Kobe in these situations final five seconds of playoff games to tire or take the lead, took that shot eighteen times, made four of them. Amazingly, Lebron also took has taken that shot exactly eighteen times, made seven of them. Hard shot to me, Hardens one for seven. Ross's won for six, STEP's won for six. Durant hasn't even taken six of these. I'm sorry, No, that's wrong. Durant's two of eleven. Pardon me, but again, and this is where people just aren't able to process the facts five seconds anything.
Speaker 3: The only one who can process the fact.
Speaker 2: Well, I think if you go, if you go, tell people, it's inarguable that Lebron is the most clutch player of his generation, and that he is one of the most clutch players ever while Kobe was inefficient and not effective at these shots, people will no one will believe you, And people say Lebron's scared to take them. Takes the same amount as Kobe, no matter how you slice it, the same amount as more five seconds, one minute, six minutes, fourth quarter of playoff games, tire take the lead. People just don't want to hear it. It is not what they want to remember. And that then does bring me briefly to we all, everyone watching this right now saw the entire of Kobe Bryant's career, or almost everyone Watson probably did, and yet I believe they probably have a hard time believing this data, like, that's not what I remember. So let's extrapolate that. What does that mean for how we talk about Michael Jordan When a lot of us, you know, weren't locked into the NBA in the eighties, we didn't have league pass and Jordan's unbelievable, you know, obviously one of the three greatest players ever. You can make an argument for number two, you can make an argument for number one. But how much of the legend is what we want to remember rather than what actually happened? Because with Kobe clutch shots it's a huge part of it, and when Lebron not being clutch, it's the entirety of it. All right, last topic, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yesterday Jalen Hurts agreed to a five year, two hundred and fifty five million dollars deal. This now makes him the highest plate paid player in the NFL. Two questions, how does someone without a RING or MVP deserve that kind of money and how does this affect Lamar Jackson's negotiations?
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I answer room in a reverse order. Lamar, I think it would be smart for Lamar to go to the Ravens and say, I'll take that exact deal, that deal all take. I know he wants a fully guaranteed deal. I think that would be a smart deal to take. The argument is, well, he's been to a Super Bowl, Lamar hasn't. Lamar's won an MVP. He hasn't. Lamar actually has finished his contract out, so he has a little more leverage. Jalen had a year left, so he has a little less leverage. That deal would be a great deal for Lamar. I don't know if he's going to do that. Joe Burrow's got to be thrilled Burrow's gonna get more than jail. They've both been to a Super Bowl. Joe Burrows had two good year years, Jalen's only had one. Justin Herbert's probably like, Okay, i might not get quite that much, but I'm gonna be at fifty. Problem. The other person or people who should be thrilled by this are Chiefs fans, because the price of the brick is going up, as Marlow Stanfield would say, and Mahomes is stable at forty five million a year. So right now Mahomes is the fifth highest paid quarterback in football.
Speaker 3: You don't think he should be the most paid.
Speaker 2: Well, of course he should be, but it's in a salary cap sport where you only have so many dollars to spend. It's a huge advantage for the team that he isn't for the Chiefs ability to win super Bowls. And that's my point. He's the best player in the league by a mile. He's the fifth highest paid quarterback. Burrow's about to get a new deal, Herbert's about to get a new deal. Lamar might get a new deal. That means when this season starts, Patrick Mahomes is going to be either the seventh or eighth highest paid quarterback right now. And this is a jarring fact. There is a bigger gap an annual salary between Patrick Mahomes and Jalen Hurts. Then there is an annual salary between Patrick Mahomes and Daniel Jones. Daniel Jones makes five million a year less than Mahomes. Mahomes makes six million a year less than Hurts. Talk about planning parades, play in the dynasty in Kansas City. You have the greatest player ever and he's on a massive bargain. I fix the NBA's charge epidemic. And we talk Sons Clippers. That's next. Then we talk from real life in the Sea Block. That's also coming up. What's right.
Speaker 4: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roeblis, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon, MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg. Evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jirelle Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheadle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Canavali Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome back in What's Right with Nick Wright Episode one forty three, before we get into Sun's Clippers and a game and a bunch of stuff. Uh, some absolutely unbelievable news that just broke Damar Hamlin. Yes, that Damar Hamlin has been cleared for all football activities and is returning to the team today. So a young man whose heart stopped on the field was given CPR and resuscitated on the football field in late December. We are now in April and he can resume his career. That is just fantastic news, an amazing story, and that is great. That is as cool as it gets. And you've got to be so happy for him, for his family, for the bills, for everybody, and those trainers on the field saved his life. It's a really really cool, wonderful story. So that's really really great. All right, Deora, Let's get back to the NBA playoffs. Go right ahead.
Speaker 3: Okay, the Sun's Clippers Game two is tonight. Yeah, Katie has now lost seven straight playoff game.
Speaker 2: You were at his last win really. Yeah, that's the last playoff that's yeah, which was nets Bucks Game five. He played all forty eight minutes, scored forty eight points in seventeen rebounds, ten assists, Steve Nash game a bear hug at the end of that. They went up three to two. They then lost Game six, lost Game seven. Last year they played the Celtics in Round one, they lost four to zero, and then they lost this one. That's seven straight and nine of ten playoff losses for him.
Speaker 3: But go ahead in Game one, Westbrook shot three of nineteen but somehow was the Clippers hero. Would k D losing in round one again with another super team be a legacy killer?
Speaker 2: All right? I don't think. I don't consider this quite a super team. And Kadie, no matter what he does, is one of the at worst sixteen greatest players ever. All right, okay, at worst, but going out in your the tail end of your prime back to back years in round one would not be good. Last year, he didn't play well in that series. It was his worst playoff series of his career. But you didn't really blame him, pardon me overall, because Kyrie submarine that season with the back stuff and then the Harden trade happened, and they just felt snake bit. This year, the Nets were playing well, he demanded a trade. He gets to the exact team he wanted to get to, and they're playing a Clippers team that is without its second best player. If he were to lose this series, that is devastating. All of a sudden, you start at talking about at their peak, who would you rather have? Kawhi or kd It would be an unbelievable time in the Russell Westbrook, Kevin Durant, you know, saga it. I do not believe the Suns can lose this series. I think it's almost impossible. I think that Russ, while he was brilliant aside from the three of nineteen in Game one, is not going to be able to duplicate that. And I do think that Duran's gotta be more assertive offensively. He just has to. You can't play forty five minutes and take fifteen shots. But I don't think the Clippers can beat the Suns four times in seven games. What I do think is this That game showed you why I don't think this Suns team can win the title. Chris Paul is in a totally different phase of his career. I don't trust Ayton and the Sun's bench is non existent. That their bench players played fifty three minutes total. That's not a lot, by the way, fifty three minutes off your bench in Game one. In those fifty three minutes they were combined, three of twelve from the field had like two assists. So you only have two hundred and forty minutes total to go around forty eight minute game. Five players on the court at all times, five times forty two forty, So fifty three of your two hundred and forty minutes were taken up by guys who contributed nothing. That's not a recipe to win, which just not now is it a recipe? Can they get through Round one with it? Yeah? But Denver might be able to give them real trouble, And you bet your ass the Lakers, if they're healthy as deep as they are, can give them real trouble. So I yes. Losing in Round one would make the post Warriors part of Kevin Durant's career bizarre. It would have been a year missed with an injury, then going up to nothing and three to two on Milwaukee and losing that series, then swept in round one, then demanding a trade and losing in round one. It wouldn't kill his legacy, obviously wouldn't help it. But I don't think that's going to happen all right next.
Speaker 3: We sadly saw a lot of injuries over the first weekend of the playoffs. Both the Honis and Jaw took hard falls after defenders were trying to draw charges. Yep, Sabonas took a hit going for one last night again against Steph two. It's time for Nick makes it right. How would you fix this?
Speaker 2: He's got to ban week side charges. It's very simple.
Speaker 3: You've been on the banning stuff lately.
Speaker 2: Yes, I have been, but I've been on banning weekside charges for five years. Guys. Weekside charges were popularized by unathletic college basketball players as a way to try to even the score. Essentially with high flying, great athletes, they run over there and get beneath them. It's the most dangerous play in the sport. We changed the way you're allowed to close out shooters because Zazo put his foot beneath Kawhi. I'm not banning all charges. If you are guarding someone head up and he goes through your chest, that's a charge. If someone pushes off, that's a charge. But if someone beats their man and is rising up for a dunk or a layup, and you're guarding someone else and you run over and get stationary just so you guys can he can run into you while he's in the air and you're on the ground. It's an obviously dangerous play. Well, Nick, what would you have defenders do? Contest the shot, meet him at the apex, go up jump with him. Now, are we worried that that's tilting the scales too far towards the offense. Sure, then maybe adjust a bit how much contact you allow in the defenders favor if they go up for a block, maybe don't call. Maybe soften what is and what is not a foul if you're contesting a shot. But it is an obviously dangerous play that I feel like unathletic college basketball players made their careers on, and then it poisoned the NBA over the last fifteen years. You can't have John Moran because this is what Anthony Davis did. Was smart, but it's insane. Anthony Davis is six ' ten, the best defender in the sport some nights. Right. John Morant is six ' three. John Morant goes up for a dunk. Anthony Davis can jump with him and try to block it. Instead, he stands there, so Job falls into him. Now, joh he was five feet off the ground falling straight down, and he did, and he broke his fingers. It looks like Jahan is similar situation. He goes up, someone cuts underguts him, he falls and bruises his tailbone. Don't incentivize that level of dangerous play. It's that simple. Ban the weak side charge. All right, what game will we play?
Speaker 3: Were playing? All in our fold? Yeah, so first one, Knicks fans were devastated to miss out on Donovan Mitchell, but Jalen Brunson has them looking primed to beat the Calves in round one. All in our fold, the Knicks are better off with Brunson than Mitchell.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna fold that. I still believe the Calves are gonna win the series. However, this is not an easy of a fold as it was six months ago, because Jalen has been exceptional. Now, Donovan's been actually even better as a calf than he ever was as Utah Jazz Donovan is still I think pretty clear cut the better of the two players. However, if Jalen Brunson continues on this upward trajectory, if the question is, would you rather have Jalen Brunson, who you signed in free agency and therefore didn't trade anything any of your young players or your picks, or have Donovan Mitchell but have traded away all of those assets, that is becoming a real debate. If Jalen can give you eighty percent of what Donovan can give you, but you keep all those assets to then trade for a different star, that might work out well for the nixt So I don't think Jalen's as good of a player as Donovan. I don't think anybody does, but he's played well enough that it's close ish enough. And the those young players have developed, most notably Demonsee's former summer league teammate, Quinton Grimes. It's unbelievable. This kid that demonse played with for basketball university was two years younger than Demonse's now one of the key contributors for the Knicks. H Emmanuel quickly. RJ hasn't developed obviously the way you would have hoped, but still that does become a real debate, and credit to the Knicks, who I probably have slightly underrated throughout the year. Maybe I still am because I think they're gonna lose to the Calves, but as a great opening playoff win. Next.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we mentioned Giannis's back injury, but come on, Milwaukee is stacked without him. There's no excuse that they dropped game one to an eight seed at home. All in our fold, the Bucks win for one.
Speaker 2: I don't think you're gonna win for one. I think you're win for two. So I'm gonna fold on that. Listen. I I respect Miami. I've been saying this. I was saying it all the end of the regular season when it looked like my was gonna play Boston. Eric Spoltzer's the best coach in the NBA. Jimmy Butler is like the twenty fourth best player in the league in the regular season and like the eleventh best player in the league in the playoffs. He gets better in the playoffs. They're a real team, and Bam can present some proms for Giannis when he's healthy, let alone when he's coming off an injury. So I respect the Heat. Heat went to the finals three years ago. They were the number one seed last year in game seven of the Eastern Amage Finals. I respect them, but with Tyler Hero breaking his hand and some of the things they're gonna to deal with, they can't beat the Bucks. But they're a tough, tough round one matchup, all right.
Speaker 3: Next, Okay, the seventy six ers are cruising. But James Harden only had eight points and thirty eight minutes Monday.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's rough. Yeah, it's not great.
Speaker 3: So all letterfold playoff. Harden has returned.
Speaker 2: It doesn't look great. And this is my picks, come out of the East and be It's been spectacular in both of these games. And the way he read what the defense was doing last night and passed the open man and was great on he was just great. And I know Harden's dealing with his achilles, but this is a rough spot right now for Philly and they don't need Harden to be MVP level hard, but in order to beat the Celtics, he's got to get right quickly, and that is a legitimate concern, right all right.
Speaker 3: I think that was like the first time we were less than.
Speaker 2: A minute over more than a minute. Oh yeah, that first time, we were less than ten minutes over. Probably Uh, that's because I deleted two of the questions. Remember we were gonna have two more. I knew we're gonna be able to hit it. Okay, So we're gonna talk some real life stuff. There was a tragedy in my hometown. There was a tragedy in upstate New York. There was a miscarriage of justice happening right now in Texas, and they're all related, and we're gonna talk about all of it. And if you don't want to hear that, join us on Thursday. If you do want to hear that, I think it'll be the best part of the podcast. We're gonna do that next. Take a very quick break, come right back. What's right? All right? Welcome back in episode one three, What's Right with Nick? Right? So, Uh, Thursday, I landed in Kansas City for me and my wife's ten year anniversary, and we were there all weekend and by Saturday, people in the city were talking to me saying, oh, man, so I have to get real bad here. We have a Trayvon situation. And I was like, I people were already talking about the city and I'm like, what are you talking about and they said, at you know, people would give me different details or whatever, but we now know exactly what happened, and what we're gonna talk about here is not actually just about Ralph Y'arl, the young man who was shot and miraculously is alive in Kansas City, because there was yesterday now or day before yesterday, a similar tragedy in New York and this is well, just stay tuned for it. We're gonna try to thread this needle. So if you won't know what happened in Kansay, having Cansity is very simple. Young man, sixteen year old black kid named Ralph Yarl was sent by his mom to go pick up his twin little brothers. He thought he was going to one hundred and fifteenth Street. They were on one hundred and fifteenth Terrace or vice versa. He pulls into the driveway, rings the doorbell and this is not just his family story. This is now according to the Kansity Police, and an eighty four year old white man comes to the door and within second shoots him twice, once in the head through the door. Through the door glass door opens, one door, sees him, has his gun, shoots him twice, once in the head. Bullet fragments lodged above his eye. His mom said this morning to Gail King, they were in his brain, but I'm she said, frontal lobe. But he's also home.
Speaker 3: Now and said it hit his frontal low front and then he was shot again, and then he.
Speaker 2: Was shot in his shoulder. H Amazingly he survived. Now, his mom made it very clear, he's home, but he has medical professionals all around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was like, the only reason he's home is because that the doctors is they have families are doctors.
Speaker 2: They wanted to get him home. But he is talking. He's talking, and President Biden called him and so this and then and then the reason they're so again, let me give the very short version of it. Sixteen year old kid is supposed to go to eleven hundred, one hundred and fifteenth Terrace, goes to eleven hundred, one hundred and fifteenth Street, rings the doorbell. Eighty four year old white man comes to the door, sees him, shoots him twice.
Speaker 3: Had the gun though before he even got to the door, of.
Speaker 2: Course, because he knew, of course, and the kid lived. The man called the cops. Cops brought him in, questioned him and said, all right, well, according to the KCPD, they claim we can't do anything until we get a victim statement. It's not my experience at all, but fine, and let him go. There then was massive community outrage before it became a national story. By Sunday, they were protests in front of the house. They then charged the man, the eighty four year old, with first degree assault, armed criminal action. And however, what the national media at thus far has gotten wrong in this story is he has not been arrested. He has been charged. So either they are they can't find him, or they are waiting for him to turn himself in. But as of this moment, this man who shot this sixteen year old child for ringing his doorbell, that's not fair. He shot the sixteen year old child for ringing his doorbell while being black, has not been incarcery. I don't know if he's on the run. I don't know if the cops just haven't managed probably can't run five right, if the cops has haven't managed to get over to him. But that's what's happened. But he has been charged. I assume he'll be found, and I assume he'll go to trial. Now. His defense is I was scared, Okay, go ahead to you.
Speaker 3: Or the question is what is the reason to be scared when this kid like he's sixteen years old. He's younger than I am, and I've seen pictures he's smaller than I am.
Speaker 2: And oh, I don't know if that's that. I'm not sure if that's true. I actually think he's I think he's a tall kid. But that doesn't matter at all.
Speaker 3: No, but I'm saying he doesn't even look like a threat whatsoever. And the only reason he even slightly looks like a threat is because he's a black boy.
Speaker 2: Obviously. I mean, I don't mean that patronized him to you. I'm saying that clearly. And the only reason this man was not instantly arrested is because he was an old white man who shot a young black boy.
Speaker 3: He didn't know what he was doing.
Speaker 2: He didn't And the if you want to say this is more about his age than his race, maybe my experience with certain parts of the Kansaity Police Department lead me to feel differently, but set that aside. He got preferential treatment due to the fact of the demographics of who he was and the demographics of who was shot. We know that, we know that, and we also know let me, I want to be totally accurate here. I feel very confident that if every part of this story is the same, but that is a white sixteen year oldho rings his doorbell, he does not shoot him in the head and then in the shoulder. Before asking a question, you can say, Nick, you can't prove it. I can't prove it. I know it. That one is very black and white, no pun intended. It's clear what happened there. And anybody that wants to that is listening to this right now and feels like anything I've said is controversial.
Speaker 5: I if anything that I've said up to this point makes you angry enough to where you want to turn off the podcast, I would appreciate if you do exactly that and never turn it back, because now we.
Speaker 2: Have something that happened in upstate New York that removes the racial part of it and is somehow just as Actually in this case, you could argue, I don't want to say more tragic, but if type of tragic, this girl lost her life. So in Upstate New York, Caitlin Gillis, who's twenty years old, was in a r on a rural road with friends of hers looking for another friend's house. From the news reports there. The rural area they were in are those long driveways where you have to basically go deep into the driveway before you get the house. They drive their car down the driveway and nobody even gets out. They see, oh, we're at the wrong house, start to turn around. The sixty five year old homeowner comes out and shoots twice into the car. No one has gotten out of the car. Shoots twice into the car. This young girl's debt debt.
Speaker 3: She was the driver, No.
Speaker 2: She was in the passenger seat. Is at least what the reports were. Because they then drove six miles up the road in the middle of nowhere. They had to drive far away to get help to They couldn't even call nine to one one for six miles because they had no phone service. Cops went to him, there was a standoff. They arrested him immediately. You also had just recently and go ahead to your.
Speaker 3: And in the like half of these cases, it's not even the problem. It's the race or the other person. It's the guns that's the problem.
Speaker 2: Well, it's one other problem, how scared everyone is when they should not be, which is what I'm going to try to tie this all together with the guns. Obviously, without the guns, this doesn't happen. But not only is that horse out of the barn. That horse has left. The barn had three hundred million baby horses, and they're all across the country. We got more guns than people. We are just on that front. No fix me none. Now, we could do certain things to prevent mass shootings, an assault rifles band, which is such a crazy liberal idea. Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush were in favor of it back in a saner time of America. In fact, you know, there's certain things we could do for mass shootings, but the individual handgun ain't going anywhere anywhere. So we have the most armed society ever, and everyone's afraid more in the fear. In a moment last week, Walgreens Tennessee, so a woman who is seven months pregnant that means very visibly pregnant with a friend allegedly shoplifting. She and the friend leave the store start putting again allegedly what they stole under the trunk. The twenty one year old manager follows them out and confronts them. One of them maces him. He shoots the pregnant woman multiple times.
Speaker 3: Was the pregnant woman even the one who mased him.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. Here's what I do know. A lot of people hear that story and say, I got no problem with that. You were stealing and you maced a guy.
Speaker 3: One one thing, that's not the manager's responsibility whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the other thing is this, you're not even.
Speaker 3: Allowed to follow shoplifters out of the store.
Speaker 2: Of course, And if you follow a shoplifter out of the store while car for pistol, my guess is you're doing it because you might want to shoot somebody. And here's the other thing. For the folks that are on the he was she was committing a crime. So anything that happens is fair game. The penalty for shoplift in this country is not death being shot in the street. The penalty, by the way, for macing somebody when they confront you with not being shot in the streets.
Speaker 3: And also, I'm sure the other person I can't be sure, but I'm pretty sure that person wouldn't have maced the manager if they didn't see the person had the gun.
Speaker 2: But that guy much like Andrew lestenkan City who shot Carl or Ralph Yarl, Saint Sandra Ground, Sandra Ground. So now we go to Texas, and I promise I'm gonna wrap all these together. We go to Texas. Daniel Perry a few months back, sees these Black Lives Matter protesters and hates them. Goes on Facebook, calls them monkeys to his friends, saying I might kill a protester on my way to work today. Texts another friend says I'm gonna drive my car right into these protesters, gets in his car, drive, drives to where the protests are. There's a man in the protest carrying an AK forty seven. Now I think that is insane, but in Texas, totally legal allowed. Daniel Perry, after telling his friends I'm gonna kill a protester and calling the protesters monkeys, initiates a confrontation with this protester, shoots and kills.
Speaker 3: Him with his gun or the AK, with his own gun, with the gun he brought it in order to commit this premeditated murder.
Speaker 2: A jury of his peers heard that case and said, yeah, you're guilty. You're going to jail. Within six hours of that, the Governor of Texas said, as soon as I can on pardoning it. He committed no crime. He was standing his ground.
Speaker 3: What ground was he standing?
Speaker 2: Well? That brings us to another issue. And I know we have a lot of issues in the air now, But one other story. A couple weeks back, San Francisco, the founder of cash Act is tragically stabbed in San Francisco. The media universally uses it as an instance to discuss the out of control crime in San Francisco, dangerous liberal health escape, a lot of poor people, a lot of homeless people, to where now millionaire tech founders can't walk down the street without being brutally stabbed today. The problem with that story is three days later we found out you stabbed to death by an allegedly by another tech executive in a dispute about one of their sisters. So why do I bring that story, Because we now have created the perfect storm for these instances of violence. So the first ingredient is the guns, as armed as you as any society has ever been. The second ingredient is the fear. New York City San Francisco, two of the safest big cities in the world, but we got a lot of poor, got a lot of minorities, got a lot of San Francisco in particular, drug people that are strung out on drugs. Danger, fear, be afraid, you don't know what's happening. You don't know. I know that. And people right now listening saying nick, crime's out of control. Is crime in a lot of big cities up over the last couple of years. Yes, is crime in almost every big city in the country down thirty forty seventy percent over where it was in the eighties and nineties. Yes, of course, but that doesn't matter. Be afraid, be on edge, be armed. That's the second ingredients.
Speaker 3: Everyone's thing is always if you aren't armed, that's on you.
Speaker 2: Correct and third ingredient, a shocking dedication by lawmakers across the country into trying to reinvent the Old West with these standard groundlings, which have moved us to a place of if at any time I feel any amount of fear, I can respond with deadly force. Don't have to be a cop, don't have to really be in danger, and in fact, as the Texas case can show you, I can start the confrontation, which if you take these to their furthest logical conclusion gives you the authority to murder anyone. If I want to murder you, all I have to do is bring my gun and bait you into hitting me. All I have to do is go to where you are, spit in your face, call you a name, shove you, and then let you get the best of me in the beginning of a fight. And be white, of course, And be white, of course, and be white, because that's the last ingredient I was going to bring in. But all I gotta do if what the guy Daniel Perry in Texas, if he were to be pardoned, he told his friends, I'm gonna go kill some people. He went to where they were started, which is why he was convicted. He started the confrontation and then immediately shot this old white man in Kansas City. There was no confrontation, but he's scared because he's black. Kid shoots the door. The old white man in upstate New York doesn't even see who's in the car, but he's scared. You're on my property. It's goddamn Yellowstone evidently out here, and I'm gonna shoot you. You brought up the andy white part of it. Of course, in all, In some but not all of these, there is And this is where again I'll bring the media's pulpability into it. The media preaching fear of the other. So people are on edge, they're misled about crime rates. They have all these guns, and they have reason to believe. Some people don't shoot people because they don't want to. Some people don't shoot people because they're afraid of the consequences. But now we remove some of those consequences. All you gotta do is say you're afraid, and all of a sudden, someone rings your doorbell. Fuck you. Someone comes into your driveway, shoots you from twenty meters out. Someone steals from a multi billion dollar corporation, a visibly pregnant woman. I'm going out there carrying my pistol. This is the moment I've been waiting for. None of us can be surprised where we're at, none of us, And God dog it, I probably irrationally yelled at my daughter this week because all of this affects us all and it all of us. All of it drags us down and puts us more on edge, and it affects our quality of life in so many different ways. And the reason I yelled at Diora ostensibly for being late to work and having a dead phone, But the real reason I was yelling at her was because when her phone died, I can't see her. It doesn't show me your location, and I knew she was traveling through the city and just seeing that I'm in Kansas City, She's in New York and last location was forty minutes ago outside of morning Side Park. And it's goddamn terrifying and is heightened because you're a black woman. Yes, But would I be scared no matter what. That Caitlyn Gillis girl was with her friends going to a friend's house. The homeowner shot her, killed her. Ralph Yarrel was a I think I don't know if it's clarinet, was some insactophone, whatever instrument he played, A great musician from seemingly an amazing family. Just listening to his mom, his mom, Ralph Yarl's mom. Ralph Yarrel was shot twice. Is would talk to the President yesterday. Is a seemingly perfect student. He's asked by Gail King this morning about she's asked about her son, and she's basically like aside from the fact that he stinks at English. He's a great kid. She was such a lovely mother daughter moment. You could just tell the type of mom she was. She was like, we just argue about English. He doesn't like doing his English homework. It's like, lady, is that what we're talking about here? He was going to go pick up his twin siblings and got shot. And I know that. You know, we're really really concerned right now about protecting kids. We are we are grooming has become the biggest threat in the world, drag Queen's big threat. The number one cause of death of children in this for the first time ever is not cancer, is not heart disease, is not car accidents. It's guns of children. The number one cause of death is guns. And so yeah, what happened in my hometown. Of course, race is wrapped in every bit of it. But the easy off ramp of that story is old racist man shoots young black boy. Police force in the beginning seemingly might let him get away with it, community outrage, now charged, hopefully soon arrested. But pretending that story is not related to all these other stories and the way the media gets us scared, and the way the politicians exploit it, and the way we allow the worst actors amongst us to act with impunity that misses it, and it's goddamn frustrate man, and it's scared. Hug your family type, tell him you love him. And if you're a law biden, secondment loving gun owner, I don't. I have no quarrel with you none. But if you are someone who is so scared of walking down the street you can't do without a pistol, do yourself a favor. Go to your local bar this weekend, have a few drinks, make sure no one's armed, and talk a little trash to one of the bigger guys in there, and get punched in the face and realize, not the worst thing that's ever happened. Getting your ass kicked not that bad sucks. Usually feel better by the next day. But if you're so god doog afraid that someone might hit you, that someone's coming to kick your door in, that someone who hasn't yet gotten out of their car on your rural driveway. If you're so afraid that you shoot first, answer questions later, and believe the state's gonna be on your side because of these perverse standid ground rules, then deal with your own issue, get some goddog courage and put your gun away. Talk to you all Thursday. What's wrong