Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news, The.
Speaker 2: Stock Movers podcast, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market. Harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: Let's take another look at consumer products, but look at it at the lens of restaurants and restaurant valuations, kind of the haves and have nots. Michael Hanlin, Bloomberg Intelligence Senior restaurant and food service analyst, joins us now fresh out of a recent report. So I asked Diana this this like, who's the winner in the consumer staples? And she was like ooh, And it took her a while to get there because it's really rough.
Speaker 4: Same question to you. Who are the winners in the restaurant biz.
Speaker 5: Two of the names that we really like this year at Cracker Barrel and Shake Shack.
Speaker 1: They Crackerbail.
Speaker 4: I still got to go many the goals.
Speaker 1: They hired new CEOs last year.
Speaker 5: They're really focusing on improving the operations first and then the marketing there, and so we're really excited about some of the changes and some of the early results. You know, both of them we expect to outperform pretty significantly on the top line this year.
Speaker 1: Well, the cracker barrel.
Speaker 5: I mean, I know my way around a cracker bar I know where every little nud nick is in every store.
Speaker 1: Every store is the same. And then of course the same order the Country Boy breakfast.
Speaker 4: But what'sn't that am It's not like.
Speaker 5: The country Boy breakfast with the country ham, Okay, and you get biscuits and gravy.
Speaker 1: It's a whole thing.
Speaker 4: It's a whole thing.
Speaker 1: It's a whole thing. Unbuttoned yourself and sit right down. Yeah, what are they changing here? What is it? Because that's kind of what they are. It seems like their DNA is kind of that type of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So so one of the first things they did was focus their menu, right. There was a lot of items on there that were not selling very good and also bogging down the kitchen. That has made the experience better for the employees.
Speaker 1: Employee turnover has plummeted.
Speaker 5: It was down, you know, high teens year over year in the last quarter. So that saves them a lot of money on training and things of that nature provid you know, as the longer your employees stay, obviously, the better experience your customers get and then people come back. They're also touching up the stores. They're going to remodel the stores. Lighting and paint are some are some of the things that they're going to do across all the stores.
Speaker 1: Some of the stores need more work. They'll do the floors as well.
Speaker 5: That's something they're starting to do. And then they're ramping up the marketing. So now that the operations are running well, they're doing more social media marketing TikTok.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 5: They they just had their first NASCAR race and the Cracker Barrow four hundred down in Tennessee, right Crystal, And they're advertising on live sports as well as Bravo.
Speaker 1: There's huge overlap.
Speaker 5: Between casual dining fans and Bravo watchers and so yes, I did not see that coming.
Speaker 3: So on the other hand, what are some of the companies that aren't doing so well?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, so, you know some of the legacy casual dining brands. Casual dining in general is having somewhat of a renaissance. This year's casual Chili's is the one they've Chilies is rocking it absolutely, and Applebee's is not. So you got you got your preferences confused right now? Backwards, I'd say, so, yeah, dining brands which owns Applebee's and Ihop. They're having a real, real hard time resonating with younger consumers and haven't been able to bring those consumers into the brand. They also have a large number of low income consumers that visit those brands, and so that's really hurting their hurting their results. And then blooming brands out back steakhouses their biggest change. They've they've same type of situation. They've struggled to bring in younger consumers into the brands, and their pricing.
Speaker 1: Got way ahead of itself.
Speaker 5: So if you compare them to Texas Roadhouse, it's a way more expensive experience and yet maybe not a better product, not a better experience for the consumer, definitely not better service. Your coverage is a great reflection of the consumer.
Speaker 1: What are your takeaways? How is the consumer out there? What are the restaurants telling you?
Speaker 5: They're doing all right? They're doing all right. Last year was a restaurant session. This year results are better and we expect them to get better in the second half. You know, first quarter there was some consternation, but it was a lot of bad weather. There's a bad flu season. There was some pullback by low and middle income consumers in March, but they seem to have rebound. Results have been pretty strong thus far, and the economic indicators that we watch are starting to get a little bit better.
Speaker 4: So unvalued appropriately for the conditions right now.
Speaker 5: Well, you know me personally, I don't look at historical valuations because the market cycles change so much.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at it on a.
Speaker 5: Relative basis, right, and so to what relative to the peer group? Okay, yeah, and so I seem and so it depends on the name, right, It definitely depends on the name. But you know, I think restaurants are set up for a nice strong second half. We also have are going to have that tailwind of tax cuts, and so I think just getting that, having that be the narrative versus tariffs and war and whatever else, I think it's going to help shift consumer sentiment and spending.
Speaker 1: Just the quick service restaurants, which otherwise is fast food. How are they doing?
Speaker 5: Fast food is struggling? Number one, they're lapping harder comparisons from last year. Number two, they have more exposure to low income consumers, which continue to be hurt by the inflation that we've seen, right.
Speaker 1: And number three, they've overbuilt.
Speaker 5: So since since the pandemic, full service chains, casual dying chains kind of pulled back on their development.
Speaker 1: They closed stores. Fast food has.
Speaker 5: Just been full steam ahead of opening stores, so supplying demand has gotten out of whack.
Speaker 4: All right, Michael, thanks a lot. Really appreciate really good stuff.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers podcast from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.