Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour on this Friday. We did it. It's a meat Friday. I just went out and inspected the triggers. We have chicken pot pie on the trigger right now, loaded mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, and cupcakes.
Speaker 2: Who is it better than we do?
Speaker 3: No boy, double dessert?
Speaker 2: Thank you, tom Well.
Speaker 4: I said to Tyler, go out and get cupcakes because I didn't think you were a pumpkin pie guy. We have the Halloween themed cupcakes for you.
Speaker 5: I'm going to put the cupcake on top of the pumpkin pie and have them together. How about that?
Speaker 3: No, you're crazy. I won't do that.
Speaker 2: No you're not.
Speaker 5: I'm going to switch the cupcake on top of the pumpkin pie.
Speaker 4: You're like a guy on death row and it's his last meal every Friday. I've never seen somebody you you pile on that plate.
Speaker 6: I just because I feel like instead of going back for second or third, if I just have one jumpo plate, I don't have to keep going back.
Speaker 4: We had a f bomb yesterday by Fritzie. That was your basketball pick with Klay Thompson. We're going to call them f bombs that you said, Hey, this should be Victor Wembanyama against Klay Thompson, and it kind of proved to be prophetic.
Speaker 5: Was it still involved? They ended up kind of guarding each other a.
Speaker 4: Little yes, and he ended up with six threes in the win against Victor Wembanyama. So that's an f bomb. Later this hour, Paully has a pea bomb. We're little little late on the sound effects. There a pea bomb. Sunday Night, Cowboys and forty nine Ers collide. It's the next chapter of their story. Rivalry Sunday sevent Eastern non NBC in Peacock. Speaking of which Jason Garrett, former Cowboy coach working for Football Night in America, who joins coming up in a little bit.
Speaker 2: The Rams are alive.
Speaker 4: I don't know if they're alive and well, but they're alive now three and four.
Speaker 2: Vikings dropped to five and two.
Speaker 4: And when the Rams have all all their weapons, they are tough to beat. Pooka and Nakua, Cooper, Cup, Williams and Stafford, and they have been a different team when they're on the field.
Speaker 2: That's the problem. Trying to keep them all healthy.
Speaker 4: Tonight, Yankees Dodgers Game one, Garrett Cole versus Jack Flaherty College football.
Speaker 2: We went over the line up there.
Speaker 4: Dylan, our graphics guy part of the Gambling Podcast, will come in and give you his tips for this weekend. The Gambling Podcast is available at dan Patrick dot com. This day in Sports History? What is the final our poll question?
Speaker 2: There? Seton?
Speaker 7: Yeah, let me update you on a couple of options that we have already up there. Okay, and you know we actually have to address a couple from yesterday too that we never really got around to that are kind of fun. Okay, but so leftovers, Yeah, leftovers, Okay, Friday fire, that's great, Okay, thanks the missed face mask call in Rams Vikings game is NBD or b D right now?
Speaker 8: Eighty percent say it's BD. That's a big deal, big deal.
Speaker 7: Would you rather have Justin Jefferson or Pooka and Cooper as a pulpav special?
Speaker 8: Right now?
Speaker 7: Fifty four percent would rather have whom do you think they picked?
Speaker 8: And Justin Jefferson or Puoka and Cooper.
Speaker 4: I would take Pooka and Cooper. I'm saying the audience took Justin Jefferson the off.
Speaker 7: The audience took justin Jefferson for sure fifty four percent.
Speaker 4: Well, they're incorrect. Yeah, I would take Cooper and Pooka. You would, yes, And I would think with that win your game out of first place, the West is up for grabs that I would be surprised now if they're going to sell. But I mean it might have been that tenuous if they lost last night. From what I was told, Cooper Cup was going to be made available. Now I know that there were teams who did inquire about Cooper Cup and they're on a bye week.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that factor is in it all.
Speaker 4: Because the trade deadline is a week later this year, November fifth.
Speaker 2: What else do we need to clean up? Seaton.
Speaker 7: People are also pointing out that your Jerry Jones voice has a little Will Ferrell doing Harry carry in it.
Speaker 8: That's a lot right there.
Speaker 4: Well, Dak is a leader. I would prefer that we okay, So I'm I'm Harry Carrey. Will Ferrell's Harry Carrey.
Speaker 2: Well that was high. They're close.
Speaker 4: They're close to each No, Jerry is it's more of a.
Speaker 8: Got yourself caught on it.
Speaker 2: Dak is a leader.
Speaker 4: Zake Elliott is still better than Derrick Henry for what we.
Speaker 8: Do doesn't fit in our system.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he didn't fit in our system. How about you change the system. The last thing we want is a big, punishing running back who can break it eighty yards.
Speaker 2: No way, we want that.
Speaker 8: Runs a little straight for me.
Speaker 4: We want an overweight running back who might be able to break off a five or seven yarder.
Speaker 2: Yes, Marvin, I.
Speaker 9: Was angry for Cowboys fans when Derek Henry came on the show and said he lived in Dallas.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: Wait, I'm sorry, I'm a little deaf in this year. I thought he said he lived in Dallas, like I don't have the movie anywhere.
Speaker 4: I know, and I think he wanted to go to the cow He didn't want to say that now because he's with the Ravens, But hey, I live in Dallas.
Speaker 2: Hello, Yes, PAULI I'm first team.
Speaker 10: Don't admit when I'm wrong, And Jerry Jones just won't admit he's wrong.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 10: You could just say like Big Whiff should have taken him, and this would all be over. Instead, it's a six week story.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: Who has a harder time admitting they were wrong? You, Jerry Jones or Fritzy.
Speaker 2: I haven't been wrong yet, so I gotta let you know that happens. You're wrong about out not being wrong. You got him, You're not dead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I'm you know, I just feel like I'm free now because I got these stitches out, so I'm I'm back to normal with you guys. I know that there was a little bit of a death watch there, and I do really appreciate you guys watching over me this week. You know, flag at half staff, but uh, it's back up. It's going all the way up, as she said, that's what she said.
Speaker 10: Yes, yes, Paul, I think Fritzi is more entertaining the way he won't admit they's wrong. He will use semantics and dodge and shift. He's like a magician with it.
Speaker 2: Well he does throw it right back at you.
Speaker 4: Oh great, okay, yeah we're And then it's got to be to the extreme instead of just you know what, Yeah, I made a mistake.
Speaker 2: Can't do it right.
Speaker 6: That's my immaturity when I lash out and I come up with the most extreme circumstance that has nothing to really do with the argument.
Speaker 2: But I'm the one that gets hurt.
Speaker 3: You do get hurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 5: It's unfair and you're the hotel the show. You're the last one that you got hurt.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: Plus I'm in a vulnerable state you are. I mean, I came off my deathbed to do this show and you only want a slink.
Speaker 6: But like one day, even though the doctor Pye said a few weeks and you're like, nope, one day.
Speaker 4: I didn't want to wear the sling longer because I thought that that scared you guys, that maybe this.
Speaker 2: Did it for us, Yes, like a parent with children, Yes.
Speaker 4: That this was gonna you. You saw the end. It was right there. I'm wearing this sling and actually had a limp for some reason. I'm limping. Fritzy did say to me, He goes, why are you limping? I go, I'm not limping yours. Yeah you're limping. I go, I don't.
Speaker 2: I had shoulder surgery, the trip onto the operation, I don't know. I don't know. Yes, moment, it's.
Speaker 9: Like Dwayne Way got hurt to show the real bad Ones and he got taken out in a wheelchair, and I was like, all right.
Speaker 4: It happened, not happen to your leg It happens there. Oh did you guys see where a president Barack Obama. He was on a young Man in the three podcast, and he's on with Tyre's Halliburton, so you'll hear his voice, or at least he attempts to talk. Here is the former president, big hoops fan, Barack Obama.
Speaker 11: Can I say something though, y'all got to have a little more pride in that All Start game. I mean, look, it's not as if y'all don't play pick up during the summers. You know how to play in a way that all right, I'm not going to hurt anybody.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna take anybody out that All Star Games. It's broke, man.
Speaker 11: Well, I mean like people just like not running.
Speaker 3: Everybody just trying all kinds of well.
Speaker 11: I'm not used to be when Kobe and Michael and Isaiah those guys were playing. Man, I mean, they weren't playing the way they did regular season, but they wanted to win.
Speaker 4: Tyree's Haliburton trying to get it a worded. He's clearly wanted to tell somebody that. I don't think Michelle was. You know, She's probably like, okay, I got it.
Speaker 2: You got a problem with the All Star Game?
Speaker 5: Yes, Tom, you shouldn't be interrupting the president until they've done with their point.
Speaker 4: Anyway, Well, former former still former president, let us know. I don't know if former presidents are as funny as they were when they're presidents. Like there's certain people, certain uh you know, uh status situations, jobs where you laugh Like I laughed a little too hard when the Commissioner Rob Manfred was on when I said, you know something about you were going to get the Dodgers Yankees. He said, yeah, you know about time I got a break. And then I listened to it again and I went about three seconds too long with the laugh. And it's probably like a commissioner.
Speaker 2: Laugh. And I was guilty of that.
Speaker 5: That's a little jarring, just a shut of I'm not guilty of doing any of those there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're never phony.
Speaker 4: The most must win game of the weekend, Todd, I'm gonna start with you.
Speaker 6: I am going to go with the New York Jets are supposed to have all kinds of fun now after what Aaron Rodgers said, and they don't win in Foxsburg against the Patriots, I don't want to hear any talk about the jetson getting back into a kind of playoff race.
Speaker 4: Well, you just had Gerrodmeo call his team soft. Let's see how they respond to that. See no O'Connor. Most must win game of the weekend.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say.
Speaker 7: It's the Pittsburgh Steelers, which I think is a Monday night game. This is technically the Stillers Giants at Steelers. Okay, you would move to six and two just ahead of the bye week. Russell Wilson theoretically gets another dub under his belt, which is great. You have a toughest schedule coming up.
Speaker 8: Down the stretch here.
Speaker 7: I think this is a big game. They have to win this game. That's a game they should win.
Speaker 2: Marvin, most must win game of the weekend.
Speaker 3: I'm going College Texas A and M.
Speaker 9: If you want to be taken seriously as a real big time program, you have to be LSU at home.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's bulletin board material.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm not playing.
Speaker 2: Oh I can tell Marvin says I'm not playing. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know if Van m has been playing either for the past forty years. Yeah, I know, I know, PAULI Most must win game of the weekend.
Speaker 10: The Indiana Hoosier is hosting Washington College Game Days nay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your quarterback is hurt. Yeah.
Speaker 10: Here's the thing, real quick, Washington, you win there. You got Michigan State next week. You have a vulnerable Michigan team at home, and then you have Ohio State and now let's pencil in Ohio State as a loss.
Speaker 3: Then you finish with Purdue.
Speaker 10: If you take care of every other team on your schedule in your Indiana and just lose to Ohio State, you can slide into the playoffs.
Speaker 4: What about Penn State at Wisconsin with I believe Ohio State in the on deck circle on a Saturday night white out, Penn State always gives up one each year at Wisconsin. This is Wisconsin super Bowl. How about that for the most must win game of the weekend. Let's bring out Dylan the Graphics Guy, also part of the Gambling Podcast with Bad Larry and Shay and Irving. That podcast we recorded it yesterday. It's available at Dan Patrick dot com. Do not listen to it when you have children or your wife in the car. Not safe for work either. Just want to give your heads up. And there he is the oldest looking twenty eight year old in America. He's Dylan the Graphics Guy. That's not necessary.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, hey doyl. All right, spill some wisdom here, some wisdom, give me some tea.
Speaker 12: Some tea. Well, do you want to recap or you want me to just blaze.
Speaker 2: Ahead and if there's something good to recap?
Speaker 12: Not really? All right, well just move.
Speaker 2: We don't need to look back on last week.
Speaker 13: Jeeves's money line was big. That's about it though. Okay for this week, Dan, okay college, I got Notre Dame minus the thirteen and a half against Navy.
Speaker 2: You're not a Patriot. I know you're anti American.
Speaker 12: Fading the Patriots.
Speaker 13: The NFL Ones took Illinois plus twenty one against Oregon.
Speaker 12: It's a lot for a scrappyle.
Speaker 4: Then Oregon goes to Michigan next week, so trap game could.
Speaker 13: Be Oregon's gonna win. But I think three touchdowns is a little steep and against my better judgment, Dan, Northwestern.
Speaker 3: In Iowa.
Speaker 2: Under seven and a half when.
Speaker 12: The total is less than forty.
Speaker 13: I do like it more with the Hawkeyes, but they're they're really collecting all the money back that I wanted.
Speaker 2: You were dominating with Iowa and the under best run I've.
Speaker 13: Had in my gambling career. And it was kind of short lived, okay for the NFL. So I did have rams money line against the Vikings last night, so we're off to a good start there. I've also got the Lions laying the eleven again.
Speaker 12: The Titans.
Speaker 2: I got eleven and a half now.
Speaker 12: Eleven and a half.
Speaker 13: Yeah, doesn't change much for me, I don't think, okay, but I initially loved the Titans there, which made me pause.
Speaker 2: A little bit.
Speaker 13: Oh okay, and I actually have a D bomb Dylan bomb, Dylan bomb, Dylan bomb, Yes, d bomb Raiders money line against the Chiefs, whoa plus three sixty damn hey, the last the last team to beat him?
Speaker 2: Okay, a d bomb. Yeah, line is nine and a half.
Speaker 12: Nine and a half. Take them straight up. Don't hold me to that at all.
Speaker 2: It's a bomb, all right? Well, thank you Dylan DP Yes, mar.
Speaker 9: Sorry, yes, can we rename the podcast against my better judgment?
Speaker 3: That's kind of what this is, that would be fitting?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I think Dan Patrick takes a gamble.
Speaker 13: Did you notice how I didn't say my best bets these weeks? These are just bets. Yes, it's best that you don't rebranding. Yes, you don't do that don't classify it his best. Yeah, for liability purposes, these are just bets.
Speaker 2: And once again, you just celebrated your birthday.
Speaker 12: I did twenty nine.
Speaker 2: And you made it in every day this week I did.
Speaker 12: I actually had to go to the doctor the day after my birthday and get blood drawn.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 12: So far, so good. I haven't heard anything.
Speaker 3: No news is good news, all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's Dylan the graphics guy. Yes, thank you Doi.
Speaker 4: He's also part of the gambling podcast, Dan Patrick takes a Gamble.
Speaker 2: Let's take a break.
Speaker 4: We will talk to Jason Garrett from Football Night in America coming up next.
Speaker 2: We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search fsr T listen Live.
Speaker 4: I was flipping back and forth. There were some NBA games. I did watch a little bit of Boston in Washington because I didn't think anybody would watch Boston and Washington. Do you realize that the Wizards starting lineup, the average age of their lineup is twenty two. That's the youngest in the NBA and the youngest fielded by the Washington franchise since they started tracking this in nineteen seventy.
Speaker 7: Whoo cow stall of a day, stant of a day, statuta day, scant outa day.
Speaker 2: This is the state of the day.
Speaker 4: Not a good thing to have an average roster. The average age is twenty two. Yes, time isn' they're.
Speaker 5: Slogan, youthful and irrelevant. I thought that's what they're going with the sell tickets.
Speaker 4: Jason Garrett Football Night in America analyst and uh he'll be there for the Cowboys and the Niners kick off eight twenty eastern on NBC in Peacock. Jason, good to have you back. Let me ask you the pole question. I'll give you Justin Jefferson or I'm gonna give you Pooka Nakua and Cooper Cup. So you can either take the two Rams wide receivers or Justin Jefferson.
Speaker 14: I take Justin Jefferson really, and I absolutely love those other two guys. I mean, I think they're incredible in an amazing combination, but Justin Jefferson to me, is one of these game changing cornerstone players that you can build your franchise around for ten more years. So when you have those guys, you keep them and you're filling around them.
Speaker 2: Okay, who does he remind you of?
Speaker 14: You know, he doesn't remind me of many people in terms of an impact. It's not quite Randy Moss for me, but it's moving in that direction. You know. What's interesting about him is evaluating him coming out of school. He played in the slot at LSU, and so one of the questions was, hey, okay, why are they playing him in the slot? Why is he in? He does not run well enough outside, he's not athletic enough. Is he one of these savvy guys? And he's all of that stuff. But he's got all the other stuff too. So I just think he's an elite, elite, game changing player.
Speaker 4: It feels like there's been this rebirth with Matthew Stafford after he got to the Rams won the Super Bowl. I think people realized, or maybe rerealized just how good he is or has been. Do you get that feeling that all of a sudden he was like Matthew Stafford with the Lions. Oh he's good, but the team's not any good. Now, all of a sudden, you got these young quarterbacks c J. Stroud, Caleb Williams. They're talking about looking up to Matthew Stafford.
Speaker 2: How did that happen?
Speaker 14: Well, anybody who's watched football closely for a long time realizes how good this guy has been. And that's easy to say now, but I mean, if you study quarterback play and you study offensive football, what he did for all those years in Detroit was amazing. And you said it. It was in a rough environment. The team wasn't very good, but if you watched him play, he was really good. And we had a couple experiences playing against him where like damn, I mean at Stafford again, you know, just doing some ridiculous thing against us, and he's a rare passer of the football. I'm actually working on a project with NFL Films right now and the evolution of throwing and how it's changed since Joe Namath to today. And we've studied a lot of different guys and talked to a lot of different guys, and one of the questions that's come out of it is, Okay, is there an ideal throwing motion? And so we've asked a lot of people that we've studied different guys to say what the Who's got the best throwing motion? And in the midst of doing this. I went to a Rams practice in the spring, one of their OTAs. I'm standing on the sidelines, I'm like lightning bolt. I think it might be Matthew Stafford. I mean, he's just ridiculous how talented he is throwing it. But like with a lot of guys, what separates him from me is the intent bles His toughness is rare.
Speaker 4: But let me go back to the form, the actual, not not the quarterback himself, but just the art of throwing a football. You're saying, Matthew Stafford is going to be high up on that list way hip. Okay, who else would be up there that might surprise me.
Speaker 14: Over time?
Speaker 4: Like Warren Moon to me through the prettiest deep ball that I ever saw.
Speaker 14: Yeah, we used to. We used to be in warm ups and Warren movie throwing Pat and Go would be like, ah, I don't know that anybody throws better than that guy.
Speaker 4: So you're watching warm ups of Warren Moon while you're facing him.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's a great question. And I've been studying this and talking about it my whole life. The guy that I play with for eight years in Dallas, to me, is one of the most underappreciated passers of all time, and that's Troy Aikman. I mean, he was just rare throwing the ball. And he doesn't have the gaudy statistics because of how we played, but he was incredible. Anybody who watched him closely day after day, he just could throw any ball, and he was so consistent and accurate, catchable balls, unbelievable. You know, Marino, Elway, the obvious ones. Those guys were just different than everybody else.
Speaker 4: But he's there a quarterback though, who wasn't good but had an unbelievable throwing motion.
Speaker 14: Oh, there are tons of those guys like George, Jeff George had he could throw a beautiful deep ball. Jeff George could throw a beautiful any ball. I mean he was a rare passer. You know. Unfortunately he wasn't as good a quarterback as he was a passer. You know those other guys that I'm talking about, Elway, Marino, that they had everything and then they had this eliteness about them when they throw the ball. And you know, Brett Favre incredible, Like I said, Troy Aikman from that from that era. The guy's playing now, I mean the way Stafford throws the ball the way Josh Allen throws the ball. You know, it's pretty special. It's been interesting this study that we've done, and we've talked to a lot of people, Tom House being one of them, and you know, sometimes you get caught up in the rareness of how hard they throw it and how far they throw it and all of that. And he kept coming back to guys both in baseball and football that were had great control too. And I asked him who's got the ideal pitching motion? He spent his whole life studying pitchers, and he said it's Greg Maddox And I said, really, I was shocked by that, because Maddox doesn't strike you as a guy who's got this overwhelming physical tools. But he said he just was incredible with how he could locate the ball on a consistent basis. And he actually compared Maddox to Drew Brees, very similar players and how they throw the ball.
Speaker 4: Well, I was going to say, Joe Montana would have been my comp for Greg Maddox.
Speaker 14: I think that's a great comp you can't go wrong there. But Montana kind of in that same category of a guy that doesn't overwhelm you physically, but the precision and the consistency is incredible. But it's been a really fun project. And I bring it up just to say Stafford's high on that list.
Speaker 4: He's Jason Garrett and Football Night in America brings you the Cowboys and the Niners.
Speaker 2: All Right, you were in this position.
Speaker 4: I know you hate being put back in this position, but I'm gonna put you there. Jerry Jones comes out and he's critical of the play calling by Mike McCarthy. How does that help the process? Or you have to go to a press conference and then answer for Jerry Jones? How difficult is that for Mike? How difficult was that for you when you were there in Dallas?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 14: As Troy Aikman used to say, something's come with the dinner, and so that comes with the dinner. And you know, the media types they loved the idea of hey, the owner said this, what do you yes? You know they love that wedge thing. And you know my approach was always you just try to stay above it. You don't dive into the fray too much. You know, everybody wants authenticity from head coaches. They want them to say what they want to say, but that's not your job. Your job is to protect the team and protect the organization first and foremost, so you try not to delve into that too much. It obviously is not the ideal situation. You want everybody to be aligned, you don't want There's enough noise in the world anyway, you don't want to contribute to it. So as much as I try, what I try to do is not inflame. It just try to pat it down and get everybody thinking about something differently.
Speaker 2: How could Derrick Henry win the MVP?
Speaker 14: Just keep handing on the ball. He's ridiculous, isn't he.
Speaker 4: His fourth quarter stance? Like you can tell where the defense gets tired. You don't want to take him on And all it takes is just because he doesn't have moves. He's kind of like herschel Walker kirsh didn't. He didn't have that shiftiness, but if he had a moment, he was gone.
Speaker 2: And here's Derrick Henry doing that.
Speaker 4: It's just it feels like it's still and I don't know, are we going to be committed to the run this season in the NFL? Like league wide, do you feel like there's more of a commitment there, and then you're factoring in these quarterbacks who are running as well well.
Speaker 14: I think if you look at the best offenses through time, they're balanced and they run the ball. And I talk about this every week on Sunday Night Football. The quarterbacks that have too much of a burden on them ultimately fail because the league is too hard, the defenses are too good. So if you drop back fifty times, you're gonna lose. You might win this week, but you're gonna lose. And so you have to control the line of scrimmage, you know, being able to run the football, play action, pass, all of that. That's when you have success and you can sustain that success. So having a commitment to it is big. And you know, I laugh at the devaluation of running backs. And this is a sensitive topic for me because I played in Dallas for eight years and we had Emmitt Smith. We won three Super Bowls. The impact of EMMITTT. Smith and the offensive line in the running game pervaded the whole team. The quarterback, the receivers, the defense. Everybody fed off of that. We're a physical team that controlled the game. And then our best years in Dallas when I was the coach to Marco Murray led the league in rushing, Zeke Elliott led the league in rushing twice, and all of a sudden, it's ironic that Tony Romo and Dak Prescott had their best years when we're doing that, you know. So it just creates a comfortable environment for the quarterback and for everybody else on the team. And so if you can play that way, you're going to have sustained success. And the best teams do that. When the Rams are rolling, they're running it and throwing it, forty nine ers running and throwing it, Vikings running and throwing it, And certainly the Ravens might be the best example of that this year. So keep giving the big guy the ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm all in on running.
Speaker 4: And I wondered if we would see because you know, these defensive players they're trying to get you know, smaller and quicker guys on defense. Now, I just think if I'm I'm going to make you adjust to me, we're going to run the ball. You might be ready for everybody else in the NFL. And you know who you're going to face with us. You've got to deal with our line, and we're going to run the football. And I would make you I would have an advantage at least half of the games.
Speaker 2: Where you had to adapt to me.
Speaker 4: I don't know why somebody just doesn't go all in and say we're going to run the football and then we're going to pass the football, not the other way around.
Speaker 14: Well, it's interesting to say that if you go back to Dallas's game a couple weeks ago against Detroit, Detroit runs the ball eight of the first ten snaps of the game. Detroit's built their team the right way. They got great offensive linemen, they got two big time runners, and that's where it starts. So everybody talks about Ben Johnson boy, the trick, play that, this to that. The other thing what they did early in the game was Cowboys, let's get ready defend the run. We're gonna hit you right in the mouth and we're gonna make you defend this run. And then everything else came from that. They controlled the line of scrimmage. Now the dropback game comes, the lives, the play action game, the specials, all of that. So you're preaching to the choir right now. I mean, you got the incense out and you're throwing it on me because you know this is what I believe, and that's how we built our teams in Dallas. Tyron Smith, Zach Martin, Travis Frederick, Zeke Elliott. That's how we wanted to play.
Speaker 2: If you were coaching the Dolphins, how would you handle the to a situation?
Speaker 14: Hard for me to answer that from Afar, I'm not I'm not there with him every day, So I got to be careful with this response, but air on the side of really really having caution about him as a person. You know, ultimately, when you're coaching players, and I use this word very deliberately, you love the guys. You ask them a lot, and you develop a relationship with them that's so strong that you love them and you care about them first and foremost. And so that has to be line one with him, Like Tua, we care about you for the rest of your life. So we better really all be on board on the medical evaluation here before we put you back out there.
Speaker 4: But let's say he's cleared though, Jason, Let's say he's get clear again.
Speaker 2: But do you do you change your past protection?
Speaker 4: Are you changing your play calling because of his potential condition?
Speaker 2: Well, let me let.
Speaker 14: Me just finish what I said.
Speaker 12: I got it.
Speaker 14: He's cleared. But let's ask that question again and again and again and again before he goes back out there. And we're all okay with it, you know, family members, medical people, Tua himself, the whole deal. Okay, Now we go do it. And I do think you're extra careful and extra deliberate in how you call the game. Wow, And you coach the heck out of them, like I know they have on what you do when the play breaks down and getting down and we're not diving for first downs, we're not doing any of that. But you get the ball out of your hand quickly. They do that when you throw it down the field more. You better have extra protectors because that's first and foremost with any quarterback. But particularly in the situation.
Speaker 4: Are the Niners still contender? Super Bowl contender? Absolutely, even with all the injuries.
Speaker 14: Yeah, the seasons young, there's a lot of football to be played. There's narratives that come out every Monday about what's going to happen the rest of the year based on what happened yesterday. But I have a lot of faith and their coaches, a lot of faith in their players. Obviously they're banged up. The receiver situation is real, but they're going to get some guys back, and they're good enough to adjust to the guys that they do have. The thing for me with them that has always been so damn impressive the last few years. I feel like their defense was elite, elite and how it disrupted the game and controlled the game. You couldn't make an inch against them, and you wanted to throw if you're hesitant at all, the ball is going to get knocked out of your hand, and oh, by the way, fifty four is going to intercept another one and all of that. I don't feel like they're quite there right now, and I think for me with them, they have to get themselves back to that place. Those elite players have to be elite and extra elite to deal with some of the issues that they have on the other side of the ball. But I have a lot a lot of faith in their team and their coaches, and there's a lot.
Speaker 4: Of football to be played. We'll be watching on Sunday night. Great to talk to you, my best of the family. Thank you, Jason. I always enjoy it at Jason Garrett Football Night in America. They started seven Eastern and then football night in America at eight twenty kickoff with the Cowboys and the forty nine ers will take a break. If you're watching on Peacock, we head out to the grills for our meet Friday.
Speaker 2: We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio in the iHeartRadio wap.
Speaker 4: My thanks to Tyler not only taking the phone calls, taking care of my puppy, but also responsible for meat Friday chicken pop pie on the Traegger Taste of great mashed potatoes, loaded pumpkin pie and some cupcakes there, Todd, how's it taste fantastic?
Speaker 2: Oh that that's great?
Speaker 5: Cupcake on top?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, full plate by the way.
Speaker 5: Y's full plate.
Speaker 6: And then once you guys left, I dded a little more pot pie because so you guys like to keep track of what I'm doing.
Speaker 4: I Todd walks out and he goes, uh, can I have dessert?
Speaker 3: First?
Speaker 4: Can I have a cupcake first? I said, I don't care whatever you want to do. You want to have a cupcake, And then he goes, can I put the cupcake on the pumpkin pie?
Speaker 2: I said, I don't care.
Speaker 6: Right another cupcake is sitting on top of the mashed potatoes on my po It kind of fell a little bit.
Speaker 4: Okay, Paully, we're ready for Is it singular pea bomb or plural peabod?
Speaker 2: It's plural ish.
Speaker 10: There's no army this week, so there's no free money. There's no for me first half cover because that's the ATM of college.
Speaker 2: Can I get some sound effects for Pauli's pea Bomb?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 10: Pea Bomb is forthcoming? Well music, Marvin to make this a little more.
Speaker 2: A couple of things.
Speaker 10: The pe bomb staff likes. They like Miami to cover the twenty one against Florida State. Miami hasn't opened up a can on anybody in Florida State's.
Speaker 3: The team to do.
Speaker 2: I don't know if Miami is great.
Speaker 10: I know they keep with a lot of games really close. The staff likes Illinois to cover the.
Speaker 2: Twenty two against Oregon. The staff, it's not me, it's the guys that.
Speaker 10: They're al No staff, there's Paulie.
Speaker 2: The pea bomb of the week. Oh my god, the tension.
Speaker 10: Cincinnati will beat Colorado outright at Colorado. Colorado is giving six and a half to Cincinnati. They're ha Yeah, No, it's straight football analysis.
Speaker 2: Dan, Okay, Dion's gonna take it personally. Cincinnati will all over College he bomb.
Speaker 4: They're gonnae pag bomb all over Colorado. ALRIGHTY had this day in sports history. Let me see Eric in Orange County. Eric, thanks for holding what's on your mind today?
Speaker 15: Hey, Dan, going to be with you six three. A happy World Series day. It's gonna be a good one one for the Ages. We've been waiting for this for the one sixty two Dodgers Yankees.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 15: And also I wanted to give a tribute to Fernando what he means out here in LA and to baseball in general. He's uh the Latino community here. It's a rough history with Doctor Stadium Travis Ravine, but he's an inspiration and just wanted to to pay one last tribute.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We mentioned him earlier in the week when he passed away, and uh, you know his impact on baseball, the Mexican community. Uh, you know, one of twelve kids came one cy Young Rookie of the Year and those first what eight starts, nobody had to start like that. I mean, I've been fortunate to have been around all of those great pitchers and Dwight Gooden and Roger Clemens and what Fernando did right out of the gate. He was throwing shutouts.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: Uh Donna in Tampa. Hi, Donna, what's on your mind today? Hi?
Speaker 16: I I have This is the first time I've called in. Do I have to get my height?
Speaker 2: And wait, you don't have to, Donna? You doing you don't perfa?
Speaker 16: I will five foot one oh seven. Okay, Yeah, I just wanted to hear the bell ring. On Monday, you were talking about your surgery and I was listening because I also had shoulder surgery. But when you said the four bullet wounds, I have them too. I have the four bullet wounds. Well, but I can't believe that you were back at work, So I'm thinking maybe we didn't have the same surgery I had.
Speaker 4: Rotator cuff, Oh, you had far more serious. I can take off my shirt and show you the bruise that I have down my entire left arm, But no rotator, Donna. You went through a lot more rotator. I did labor them a long time ago. That's a long comeback there. But yeah, I got the stitches out and started doing rehab here. So I'm I'm good. I'm on the road to recover once again. Minor surgery is when it's on somebody else. When somebody said, oh, it's just minor surgery, they put you under, they open you up, that surgery. Matt in La, Hi, Matt, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 2: Hey Matt? Mark? Hey Mark Mark from La.
Speaker 17: Yes, how you doing? Dan say for having me?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Mark?
Speaker 17: Sorry, I'm in the middle of my class right now. I'm a high school teacher and at East LA College in East La, Okay, and you have all these events that are going on, and I just wanted to comment on one more event that's happening at SOFI Stadium tonight, the eighty ninth plane of the East La Classic between the Garfield Bulldogs and the Roosevelt we call them the Other School rough Riders.
Speaker 2: All Right, I forgot all about that big high school matchup, all right, Battle of East La. Yeah, Roosevelt. Yeah, I'm taking Garfield. Yeah, they're getting four and a half. I'm taking Garfield. Let me see anything else.
Speaker 8: Who just called in Garfield or Roosevelt.
Speaker 4: I think he was saying he didn't refer to Roosevelt with their nickname.
Speaker 8: I said, which one was the other school?
Speaker 2: Garfield? Garfield was yeah, yes, if.
Speaker 5: Garfield wins, do they get lasagna after the game?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man? Yeah?
Speaker 8: All right, well now with Garfield.
Speaker 5: The cat, Garfield, the cat loves lasagna.
Speaker 2: No, you're gonna end that.
Speaker 12: I don't want could rally.
Speaker 5: We got another minute and a half.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 5: Here's a dead lasagna though.
Speaker 8: If they beat Roosevelt, Okay, I think I'm going Roosevelt.
Speaker 2: Are your Yeah?
Speaker 8: I think so?
Speaker 2: Wow? I think so yeah.
Speaker 4: That's my seat, seed bomb seed this stage sports history point.
Speaker 10: This is a while when people don't remember it. In two thousand, the NBA Commissioner David Stern announced that the Minnesota Timberwolves would forfeit their next five first round draft picks, and we provide three million dollars for violations of the salary cap. That was the Joe Smith error, I think it was. And two thousand and three, Bobby Bowden of flores Day became the winning this coach in Major League football major college football history with win number three ninety nine.
Speaker 4: This date, in nineteen sixty four, Jim Marshall returns the fumble sixty six yards in the wrong direction, resulting in a safety. He played for the Minnesota Vikings. Todd, would you learn today.
Speaker 5: What I'm writing the headlines? I'm bummed. I thought a pretty.
Speaker 6: Okay, go ahead, mocktur FINN'SQB blows chance of lowering Arizona.
Speaker 5: That's my headline.
Speaker 2: So this is the headline for Friday, for Monday.
Speaker 5: Yes, mock tour Finn's QB blows chance of lowering.
Speaker 2: No note, Todd, had he wanted to do this pauling.
Speaker 3: Mission of Kapis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's it. Nobody gets to say anything else. Yeah, King Zawaiian, slide into the weekend with family and friends. Way to go, Todd, at a great week almost, I'll tell you what we will learn for all but thirty seconds. Have a great weekend, everybody. Thanks for joining us. We'll talk to you on Monday.