Speaker 1: We're here, Sabrina. It's happening. It is time, It is time. This is the one that I've been hearing about since we started this podcast. Everybody's like, oh my god, you can't. Oh geez, wait till you get to this, Wait till you get to that, Wait till you get and we're here, and I think we just jump right into it. I know we're supposed to do pre show stuff, but I don't think we do anything pre show because the actual show is well, it is what it is. So let's start by saying, welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the waves, tsunamis, and the high.
Speaker 2: School's musical teo. What, yes, that is correct. I'm Wilford Dell and I'm Sabrina Brian, and we.
Speaker 1: Are entering sequel territory here on Magical Rewind for the very first time. Because there's a bunch let's be honest there. I mean, every good movie that has is on the channel. It's not every good movie, but a lot of the good movies that become franchises it's the sequels that I hear are better than the original.
Speaker 2: Forward to seeing the sequel of every single movie that has one offered that was watched already. I am looking forward to every single one of them.
Speaker 1: I've heard High School Musical two, which is what we're doing today, is better than High School Musical. I heard Cheetah Girls too is better than the first Cheatah Girls. I've heard every Zombies too. I mean, you name it. Everybody's talking about how the sequels are better than the first one. And we're gonna put that theory to the test today again. It is summer break now, and the gang is working at a country club. It is time to break down two thousand and seven's blockbuster follow up.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is High School Musical two. Now.
Speaker 1: Did you watch this one when it aired? You like one of the people sitting down to way.
Speaker 2: I got to go to the world premiere for this one. Oh. I got to be there. Oh it was amazing. I mean, you had heard the rumble of the High School Musical franchise. This was right in the mecca time of when I was a part of the Channel. I had shot Jeedah Girls Do with Kenny by this time and so you were really looking for I was really looking forward to seeing the second one because I knew, just from my own experience, how much more production value, how much better everything was with the Cheetah Girls. So I was excited to see what they have done with High School Musical two, and it did disappoint. It was awesome, you know, Zach and Vanessa were there. They were on fire. They were the it couple. They were as big as Britney Spears and she was really they were as big as that. You know. It was just everything, you know, everyone you had, All of those stars were just blowing up Disdale. I mean every single one of them was just huge by then, so it was a big deal.
Speaker 1: Where was it they do it? The El Caps? Where'd they do it?
Speaker 2: I don't even Yeah, it had to have been, I'm assuming, oh, Disney it was at Disneyland. Wow, I don't, gosh, I don't remember that. I remember it's because you're I know. I remember Pirates of the Caribbean premiere at Disneyland, the one that I went to, but I don't remember it being at Disneyland, but I'm sure it was huge and oh movie was so awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, because this is this is arguably the biggest dcom that we're going to recap, which is saying something. With the unprecedented success of High School Musical, there was never a doubt that the channel will be returning to East High and they did it as quickly as is humanly possible, just under a year and a half later. The sequel aired, Yes, an entire movie a year and a half later, aired not shot, Yes shot and aired a year and a half later. And for anybody in the movie industry, they know that's insanity. The sequel aired, it marked the seventieth dcom ever produced, and though each of the young starstock had risen beyond predictability, they all return.
Speaker 2: For the sequel.
Speaker 1: But you can probably attribute that to Ironcloud Disney contracts. But actually we know for a fact that's not necessarily the truth. I think they all came back because they knew it was going to be bigger and better, and they probably got paid more money.
Speaker 2: That's true, but absolutely so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it was a much different experience. We've heard from several people how much of a different experience it was. But it was a juggernaut. You can't spell High School Musical without Utah. I didn't actually double check that you might be able to. But so production has returned to the mecca of d cooms once again, filming at the real East High in Salt Lake City, but most of the production actually took place in Saint George, Utah at the Entrada Resort, and many real members of the resort were actually used in the movie. And you might be asking, was the second movie as popular as the original? Huh? That's interesting because I would.
Speaker 2: Screen back at you, yes, very very loudly.
Speaker 1: It actually became the most commercially successful dcom ever produced. This is Avatar of d Cooms with less NAVI and way more hair swoops.
Speaker 2: We're talking seventeen point three million.
Speaker 1: Viewers turned in for the first showing. That's unheard of, making a brand new basic cable record. The former record holder was ESPN's Monday Night Football in two thousand and six with a game between the New York Giants and Dallas Cowboys. It still to this day ranks as the highest number of viewers the network has ever received. It also saw massive debuts in Latin America, Brazil, the United Kingdom, all over the place. The list goes on and on. So was it as successful as original again I scream at you, Yes it was, and then.
Speaker 2: Some bigger and better oh.
Speaker 1: Man, amazing, And not just the movie, but the soundtrack also debuted at number one, selling more than two million copies in its first week, and its first single, what Time Is It reached number six on the bill Hot one hundred and yes, this time we actually heard the singing voice of Zach Efron. No dubbing took place, no drew sillly, and yes he can sing. All that controversy for nothing. But musically, if High School Musical one was the Backstreet Boys, High School Musical two was en sync, pay attitude and perfected it. Audiences and critics alike seem to consider it better than the first, so we'll see what we think. And it's also worth noting the third and final High School Musical so far, would be released in theaters one year later. Released in theaters a year later, another pioneering move for the dcom and allegedly they made this movie for just wait for it, folks, seven million dollars over three weeks of rehearsal and five weeks of filming, which is super impressive for the channel's production team, not ballooning costs just because of the success. Keep it very, very very very profitable. That I can hear everyone from the Disney Channel saying that I can hear all everybody from the top down. Let's keep it profitable people, speaking of prophets. The channel also aired a weekly show called Road to High School Musical leading up to the premiere, giving fans a behind the scenes look into the making of the movie. They were milking this one, people, Let's milk it for all we can now. As you can probably guess, High School Musical two is a mainstay on Disney Plus, as is all the movies and spinoffs from the IP. So you can watch it now and then listen to us, or listen to us and never watch it. The thing that makes humans different than robots or emotions and feelings, and you can exercise both and use them both to decide what you're going to do. Did you own the soundtrack?
Speaker 2: I did not.
Speaker 1: Did you sing along? Can you sing with the songs?
Speaker 2: I be honest you three of the songs iristally knew what time is it? The baseball version of gets You Ahead in the Game, which I can't think of. What the title of that one? Is That's what it was?
Speaker 1: Best it was I'm not gonna dance, isn't it? I don't dance?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't. We'll get into that.
Speaker 1: I've got to recognize that.
Speaker 2: And and then I definitely recognize one that we will definitely get into. And it's a Zach's solo song, that one I did as.
Speaker 1: Well, where he's running on the golf course by himself.
Speaker 2: I cannot wait to talk about that one. We will not give any teasers just yet, not too much. Well, don't you even look funny saying anything?
Speaker 1: I am not, and.
Speaker 2: I can't wait. We will get to it when it's time.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying anything. Can we also get a quick Disney Games check from you? Here? Did you play with her against anybody in this movie?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Gosh?
Speaker 2: Now I got to look at my text message from Lisa to see who was Do you.
Speaker 1: Not remember who was on TV YO? I think once you see Jason Dolly, everything else just turns storry around.
Speaker 2: You, sir, Jason, let me check. Yeah, she's literally going back to check her. I do not have anyone from high school music. I do, however, have Selena.
Speaker 1: Go, which you found out later, which we love great so we know you knew all about the movie, but Sabrina, when was the last time you actually watched this movie? It was the.
Speaker 2: PARI had that premiere?
Speaker 1: Really, so you haven't seen it since?
Speaker 2: No? No, okay, they have it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I have a lot of love and respect for High School Musical, but I wasn't necessarily a fan in that sense, right, I mean, I wasn't sitting and watching a lot of Disney movies during that time when.
Speaker 1: I in your early twentiesen point twenty two twenties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, so I'm not. I wasn't a fan. I loved and I got to know the kids and the actors and everything. You know, we got to be around each other all the time. But I wasn't necessarily someone watching the movies. I loved going to the premiere, I loved watching it. Thought the movie was great. But that's kind of where it started.
Speaker 1: No, I guess that That's the thing about Disney Channel is usually when you're you're in your late teens early twenties, you're usually not watching the Disney Channel and more some people but not most.
Speaker 2: So, Yeah, when you watch it, you see it once and you're not but you're not like a rabid fan.
Speaker 1: Right, And this again also to show the power of this franchise. In this movie, I always come to this party and I go.
Speaker 2: Of course I never heard of it.
Speaker 1: Of course I heard of High School Musical. Everybody had heard of High School Musical. It was everywhere. So I'm forty eight at the time this movie came out, or however the hell old that was?
Speaker 2: I wasn't, but I was.
Speaker 1: I was probably what twenty eight, twenty nine when this movie came out in two thousand and seven. Yeah, I was was. I'm an old so I was thirty one.
Speaker 2: You were not watching it. You might have heard about, obviously the movie, maybe even Zach Effron and Vanessa Hudgens.
Speaker 1: At that point, yes, right, But I didn't. You know, obviously I had never seen any of these movies, which we've talked about. But if everybody heard of High School Musical, it was, it was everywhere. So let's get into the movie. But I would like to start by saying, every day I got to go on my own way, So even though I don't dance, it's time to bed on it and get into the synopsis. Thank you everybody. That was a whole bunch of songs put together. Troy, Gabriella, and the East Side Wildcats, all in this navigate summer jobs at a country club while facing challenges to their friendships and relationships thanks to sharpey her scheming, and Troy struggles to balance ambition with loyalty. Early thoughts, Sabrina, what'd you think of the movie?
Speaker 2: You know, I kind of didn't remember a whole lot of it. I knew they were at a resort, I remember that, But I remember being in the seats and going, this movie's not gonna happen in like Wildcat Nation. Yeah what their movie? I mean, it was such a huge I felt like that high school itself was its own entity. It was a character character of the first movie. I remember being so shocked when I first saw it that we quickly move right on from that high school. I was not expecting that at all. So early thoughts, I was like thinking, how are they going to do a high school? Is it going to be just basically the same thing, And being so happy and surprise that this is into a whole nother dynamic and place for the movie. So I was really happy and I really enjoyed this movie. I really did. I liked it.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be totally honest with you. I think I'm in the huge minority where I very much preferred the first one.
Speaker 2: Really I did. I thought there was something, There was a cheesiness.
Speaker 1: Factor to this second movie that wasn't necessarily in the first one.
Speaker 2: I would agree with that they went musical Newsz's but.
Speaker 1: Like almost stereotypical is not the right word, but almost caricatury of kids doing like a high school musical kind of thing that was not in the first one. And I think it's because in the first one, the actors didn't know what it was going to be, didn't know what it was going to become. We're getting to know each other. There was something very sweet about kind of Zach and Vanessa in the first one, whereas this one, it was they were everything seemed amped up a little bit to the point where obviously the movie is more slick. There's way more dance numbers. It looks beautiful. Ashley Tisdale steals every movie that she's in. She is so good in these movies, especially in this movie. I know that Zach and Vanessa became the it couple and took off, but she's so good in this movie. Yes, and so I I just yeah, I prefer the first one. There's some and we'll get into the golf course dancing some things where I'm I was just checked out. Oh dude, by the time he's looking at a bathroom break right now when he gets to the digital reflection of himself on the pond, Oh my god. Not enough weed in the world to make me get through that scene without laughing hysterically. So it was it was this was again I did. I'm watching him for what they are and so still really enjoyable, very very fun movie. The cast is great. I get what they're doing. I think things like the Zombies movie and some of the Descendants that we've seen so far. I think Cheetah Girls, at least the first one. I haven't seen the other ones, but those don't seem to have that cheesiness factor that this movie did for me.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 1: So the first one, I liked, the first one, enjoyed this movie. Liked the first one better, And I know I'm so in the minority, but I likemore.
Speaker 2: You might not be that much in the minority. I think people their love of the movies continued. They wanted to show, like you said, the chemistry on on the movies. Sharpey, her character just took a huge leap, just huge leap forward, which was just hilarious. She's great, addictive almost her character is almost addictive in this play, in this movie, of just wanting to see her more and more. But I do think there is, like you said, a lot of people say the original you just can't be I've heard that before. It kind of it is because again, like you said, these are all fresh faces on the Channel, and you really think about falling in love with them. By the time the second movie is you are already hook Line and Seeker. It wouldn't matter what they put out for the second one, to be honest, because these fans, I remember it. I was a part of the channel when it was going on. They bought Soul, they were selling anything. They yes, they would they would buy anything that the channel. And I get it. I get it.
Speaker 1: If I'm especially and you know, I'm not trying to pigeonhole anything. But if I'm especially a twelve or thirteen year old girl and I'm watching these movies, oh my god, I'd watch them with my friends. I'd watch them over and over again. I'd learned the dance scenes. I'd want to know what was going on. You're also you also know that, I mean, there's no social media really at the time, so to become such a power couple in Hollywood that without social media, people still know everything going on in your lives. And it's these two young people and oh you get to watch that kind of drama on fold in front of you.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: I totally totally get it, totally by by digital reflection, though, I'm like, wow, this is are we are. We are through the looking glass. I know, I know we.
Speaker 2: Won't fifteen minute moment of.
Speaker 1: This because I just want you to know I worked on it all last night. I have the entire dance number down and I'm going to show it to you all here.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: So I also have something else I want to do later in the podcast that I think is going to be necessary and I think you're going to agree with me. But anyway, High School Musical two retained its visionary director, True Musical and Disney Royalty and hopefully hopefully future interview on the show, because man would be love to talk to him. Kenny Ortega, the man has done it. All. Starting his career by choreographing Olivia Newton John's iconic Let's Get Physical video and working with Michael Jackson, Rod Stewart, Madonna and John Hughes on Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and then becoming a dance mastermind on a little movie called Dirty Dancing. He has since become a Disney legend directing Hocus Pocus Newsi's the entire high school musical film franchise, and now The Descendants and Sabrina also work with him here on another small little movie they did called Cheetah Girls Too. I mean, this guy has just done it all. Zac Efron, of course, returns as Troy Bolton, now says the voice of Drew Silely. Since the first film, he has become a heart throb around the globe. I can ask you this question, but I know the answer.
Speaker 2: I hope.
Speaker 1: Was he dreamy to you? I'm hoping not because he was like fifteen and you were twenty three or whatever.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, he was very young. But I remember meeting him and Vanessa out and about something for the Channel and thinking, gosh, this kid is so sweet and eighteen.
Speaker 3: I guess that.
Speaker 2: Night she wasn't that much younger than I was at your same time. He was, you know, younger, and but just he had it together.
Speaker 1: He didn't.
Speaker 2: He held himself like a young Brad Pitt, like that's what I would think, Like, I mean, he just had so much poise. He was so sweet. He had direct die contact with you, didn't matter how many people were in the room, you know, he always catered. He was very kind to his girlfriend, which obviously as a girl, I appreciated it. Shot to see he was just he was amazing. He was a great, great guy and that's so so.
Speaker 1: Sweet, awesome to hear. And he's obviously a superstar and deserves to be. Vanessa Hudgens is Gabriella Montez, another standout from the original. Her stock was rising uber quickly as well, and then, of course, Ashley Tisdale returns as Sharpay Evans, the villain of the movie, though she did end the first movie with a very soft pathetic sorry, so we'll see how that plays out. That I thought was a very strange. I thought she was going to be part of the group when they got there, and then she kind of wasn't. But she's so good in this movie, and this is what I wanted to do. We have Sir Jason Dolly. I think she needs to become Lady Ashley Tisdale because she can.
Speaker 2: We dup so good out them actually coming and doing an interview though, ye all right, okay, yes we can.
Speaker 1: I think we can. It's just deserved because she just loves and why we've got again on here, because man, she stole this movie. Everybody was good, they really were, but she was phenomenal, exploded off the screen with this incredible character that she took to the to the ninth degree. It was really funny. And then Friends of the Show Corbyn Blue and Bart Johnson come back as Chad and Coach Jack Bolton, respectively. And Casey Strow is a fan fan favorite and is Martha again friend of the show. Really the whole crew and we well, I guess we can tell you now she's friend of the show because she's our park Opper episode. Go listen to that. Yes, we can't wait. We get to talk to Casey's Strow anyway. Really, the whole crew has reunited, and we get the debut of a boy Sharpay's Yorkshire Terrier played by Little Pickles Kenny Ortega's real life dog. We also get a very surprising cameo at the end of the movie that I had to go back and watch again to make sure that I saw that correctly, But we will get to that later.
Speaker 2: The sequel is a whopping one hundred and four.
Speaker 1: Minutes long, above the ninety minute mark by a very decent amount, so we all just have to sit here and.
Speaker 2: Agree that this movie is too long.
Speaker 1: It's too long. It was written by Peter Barsacchini, the man who wrote all three movies, as well as Wesley Snipe's action movie drop Zone, which I don't know if you knew this, Sabrina, but drop Zone was originally a musical, right it wasn't, but I thought I had you, So here we go, and now I have a question, and it's a bit of a thinker. Did they have to do a summer vacation movie for the second story? Do you like that you talked about getting out of the high school? Do you think it would have been better had they just kept it in the high school for the second one and then maybe the third one takes place somewhere else or are you.
Speaker 2: Down when out of high school? Yes? I think it would. I honestly was not sure I would. I was kind of prepping myself to be a little bored, probably because you know, the high school. I felt like they kind of did all of that would be done in the high school that first movie, so I was really glad and happy that they were. It would have felt like another elge long gated version of the first one, right, It just would have felt like could continue this completely switched it up, brought in the ability to bring in new characters and just put them outside of the comfort zone of the high school. So I loved it.
Speaker 1: I agree hundred percent with you. I also I thought the place that they actually shot it visually was.
Speaker 2: Stunning, stunningly stunning.
Speaker 1: I mean, the greenest green you've ever seen next to the brownest brown and mountains, and it was absolutely.
Speaker 2: I was like, where in Utah is this? I've never seen this part of it. I want to go to this I must see I must go to this resort.
Speaker 1: I want to go to this place.
Speaker 2: So we're not going to waste more time here, let's dive.
Speaker 1: Into High School Musical two. We open right back at East High School, minutes away from the end of the school year. We see some familiar locations. We see the cafeteria, the gym, but we are thrown right back into their theater class with a bumbling Miss Darbus. She's waxing poetic about how the students need to achieve their maximum potential this summer, but no one understands a word she's saying because they are just staring at the clock waiting for summer to begin. We see Troy, Gabriella, Chat Sharpey and the regulars counting down the minutes. Eventually they are saved by the bell while rhythmically chanting summer and it's officially summer. I thought about you. I was hoping for keys jingling, and that was going to lead into a song. So I know when they start banging on regular stuff that leads into a song as your favorite thing in the world.
Speaker 2: They do that later.
Speaker 1: I know I thought about you the whole time. The students stand up and start dancing, standing on their desks and causing a Disney approved amount of chaos. They break into the first song of the movie, What Time is It? An Ode to Summer, and we finally hear Zach's actual singing voice. What do you think of his actual voice? Sabrina.
Speaker 2: I wasn't surprised that it was better than what I think people would assume because he wasn't in the first one. So I'm thinking I would assume people were thinking, oh my god, he's got this terrible choice. Right, it was. It was fine. They didn't give him anything that was of a huge range. He was able to stay and it wasn't Drew Sturple's zone. It was not Drew Seely because Drew Seely's I mean he is, he's a very trained professional singer. I think that if I remember correctly, and I could totally be wrong, that it wasn't Zach. The reason why they didn't do that with Zach is he wasn't really super trained in it. And after the first one he got very serious about training his voice. So he definitely does not have a bad voice. He can say exactly. So he was able to train enough for the recordings of his of his movies. And I think that's incredible to not have something that you've worked on your whole life, right, and again, you know quickly these these got filmed. The next one filmed right, so within a short amount of time. Zach, from what I've heard, he busts his ass when he's doing movies. He is like, yeah, he's all that actor, he's all in. So I was really impressed with it, knowing that he does not come from a long life of training of singing.
Speaker 1: So no, I agree, Chris, Yeah, he can definitely sing. Again, It wasn't Drucilli, but there are very few people that are trained professional singers that can carry something like this, And there was never a time where I was like, ooh, his voice is really taking me out of it. It wasn't.
Speaker 2: I think they were really smart about what they gave him to do, which I think is great.
Speaker 1: He was good. He definitely, he definitely was. So the gang anchors the hallway, and we immediately see the extras have doubled for the sequel. They've certainly got some people around Sharpey and Ryan sing about shopping and being all around d bags. While we get the cheerleaders and basketball bouncing that we are so accustomed to, we also get lyrics about not waking up at six am and staying up as late as they want. It sounds a little bit like a song we may have gotten during the first movie, but everything has been elevated just.
Speaker 2: A little bit.
Speaker 1: That's what I mean by it's like everything's just a little bit more, especially evident when we end in the storied cafeteria with a big dance piece. The song ends with Troy doing a swan dive of sorts, sliding on the floor and yelling, yeah, now right off the ba here's what I thought. Okay, I was like, Oh, it's gonna be cheesier. I mean, that's really what I thought. It was. Just there, they've elevated it a little bit more. And yes, it came like the first song in the first High School Musical, or when they're starting to sing with each other the first time Zach and Vanessa sing together, that kind of stuff. There was like a gentleness about it. There was kind of tentative, and then they build into it and they and then the big lavish musical numbers started, whereas this was like big lavish musical number right off the bat, and we are going right away.
Speaker 2: Had to I don't disagree. This comes into play with the idea that this is the movie that is coming after what is now known as High School Musical. Yeah, and so they had to start with this giant lump because otherwise their fans, I really believe, would have been like, what the hell, what are you bringing? What is this garbage? Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, I don't disagree too.
Speaker 2: I did think the same thing. I was like, oh, I don't remember the slide. I don't remember Troy's slide. Yeah, But what I will say, what I picked up this last time watching it was the level of technique and the dancers that they used were phenomenal. Even I saw that. Even I saw that.
Speaker 1: It was like, oh this, Oh, and we were just got news that supposedly he improved the slide.
Speaker 2: I do not believe that. No, Kenny wouldn't allowed it, Like, I don't know, not Kenny wouldn't allowed it. That seemed exactly like something that Kenny would direct someone to do. I can't. I don't believe that. I could obviously be right wrong, but I feel like that looked like a full blown just Kenny or take a moment to Okay.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if I believe that, but even I can Again, when I noticed something like even I saw that the dancing was better, Oh my gosh, it's one.
Speaker 2: Of my Sabrina seesaw. I'll get to it after. But there's a point where they do a quad pirouett into an attitude coupe into an arabesque, which I saw that too. Yeah, did you see it? No, the leaders do this, and it was like I rewounded and count how many rotations they did and went, oh, my god, that is such a technical You do not see that in movies very often, and that just shows you. Oh, that's right. They're in Utah, one of the mecca of training areas. Wow, I mean they brought out some amazing dancers to be a part of this.
Speaker 1: Did you're one hundred percent right? Even I saw it. So now the boys are walking down the hallway stressing about summer jobs. Troy is saving for college, and Chad wants to buy a car nearby. Sharpay tells Gabriella she feels for her. She moved schools five summer straight and she'd hate to say goodbye to her. Now we can.
Speaker 2: Sense the fakeness in her voice, and again.
Speaker 1: Ashley Tisdale steals this movie. Gabriella reveals she'll be at East until graduation and admits that she may have gotten off to a rough start sharpey, but it all worked out in the end. We get some funny vocal exercises here, and it's obvious that Vanessa Hudgens is far more comfortable than she was in the first movie too. That's the other thing I noticed. All the actors are really more comfortable in their roles, which is they should be. Martha, Kelsey and Monique are on the other side of the school going over their summer plans. Troy runs by and his way to Gabriella to her locker, which only has a single frame picture of them together in it. Very cool locker. Gabrielle is also looking for a job, but Troy says everything will work out as long as they're together. It's a big premise of all these high school musicals, the word together. If you take a shot every time they say it, you'll be dead by the first.
Speaker 2: Commercial pri Oh my gosh, I didn't even think about that. That's true.
Speaker 1: He promises this by giving her a necklace with the letter T on it. He says it's for Troy, but I also it very much looks like the tea in the University of Texas logo. I also frankly think he was originally giving it to another girl named Tammy, but she has moved away.
Speaker 2: Oh Yeah.
Speaker 1: He also says he wants to see movies with their download music, and teacher a twisted flip on a skateboard. I don't know why couldn't have just sad a kickflip. They had to like make it pat on distance, And just before they're about to kiss, a little nerdy boy comes up to get his yearbook signed and they're called away for basketball. Sharpey overhears these cool plans and is already mocking them. She is seething in jealousy and spots Kelsey. Sharpei offers Kelsey a job at her family's country club as a rehearsal pianist. She accepts and then runs off. Ryan tries to cheer up shar but she's fixated on the big man on campus, Troy. It might not be together now, but it is summer and everything changes. She puts on huge two thousand sunglasses that only go well with a Von Dutch shirt and she's sachets away.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: With that, the whole student body is back and performing what time is it now out in the front quad with the school band dancing and hugging.
Speaker 2: The song finally comes to a close with the kids going in every direction.
Speaker 1: We're at Troy's house and the boys just finished practicing basketball with Troy's dad, the coach, and there's one thing we have to see. It's a beautiful kitchen that they're in. Okay, I just want you to remember it is a beautiful, marble filled, gigantic kitchen. Just putting that out there.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's the other fair you're going with this.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's the other thing. Every single time we see coach Bolton, they have basketball's visible. Something basketball is around every time Coach Bolten is in the scene. Confirmed, just to confirm he was the basketball coach.
Speaker 2: The basketball coach.
Speaker 1: But I'd like to once again point out the beautiful kitchen that they're in, very obviously here, but let's keep an eye on the basketball thing. Yes, we'll get into why I'm pointing that out. There are several things I'd like to point out.
Speaker 2: That is one of them.
Speaker 1: The next one I'm pointing out to me. I had to rewind it three times to make sure I was right, because I was like, what the hell is going on? Anyway, the guys admit they still haven't found a job, but just then Troy gets a call from the local Lava Springs Country Club, which sounds like a soap. They want to hire him. He wonders how they got his number, and they say they have a student summer work program, which doesn't make much sense, but he doesn't care. It is a job. He wants the job, but he needs them to also hire Gabriella, and they do. He is absolutely thrilled. He hides the news from his dad and the guys focus on winning back the championship next year. Now Here we get a very complex helicopter shot of a pink convertible with initials on the hood, driving through quote unquote New Mexico, but we know it is Utah, but it absolutely looks gorgeous. It is siblings Sharpey and Ryan pulling into the lavish Lava Springs Country Club listening to a very bad autoitude.
Speaker 2: Song on the radio.
Speaker 1: She gets pink luggage and a bad attitude out of the car, but also Kenny or Tega's very cute Doug. And this is where we meet Fulton, the resorts manager, willing to do anything to make shar and Ryan comfortable. She's only concerned if the flyers got made. Fulton shows her not only have they done, but they are embossed for the first time ever. It's for a Lava Springs Midsummer Night's Talent show. She's won it every single year and she plans on winning again. Fulton says he's accomplished her staffing ideas, but with discretion, She's up to something and frankly, I don't like it already, Sabrina, I gotta ask this. Were you a country club kid?
Speaker 2: I why the pause? Well, when I was very little, we did live in connection to a golf course. Okay, so my sister, being eight years older than I am, she lived the country kid golf course, like to the point where, you know, she'd take all of our neighborhood friends over to the snackshack, get everyone ice cream, until my dad realized she was putting everyone's snacks and stuff on their tab. Right, gets this like six hundred dollars. Oh, She's like, you know, so my sister had that life. But I was really little. I was like two when that happened. And then and then we moved away not not long after that, so yes, but not really Like I was a baby during that time, my parents were big into the tennis, you know, club and all that stuff. And so, Okay, I would love to be a part of a country.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't mind being part of a country. It looks pretty amazing. It's probably pretty spendy, but it looks pretty great. Now we see that Sharpay and her cronies make their way to the absolutely gorgeous pool, which is crowded, but she gets obvious preferential treatment. She tells her girls that it was a trying year. Her drama department was invaded by outsiders. She's surrounded by luxuries, but she is focused on redemption. We go into our second song, this time from Sharpey and Ryan, an homage to the posh life she'll live at the country club and her collection of designer clothes. It is called Fabulous, and it's a Fergie like pop song. The lyric samples are something like there are towels imported from Turkey and turkey imported from Maine. Did you like this song? So?
Speaker 2: This is one of the standout musical songs that I remember from seeing it the first time. This was what I thought. I loved the app It's not my favorite song, to say, but it did set the precedence of what Sharpey is going to be throughout this entire movie. It's set that standard of she is bigger, Absolutely, she is more magnetic. Her character is completely thought out from start to finish. You see what looks like a little Paris Hilton and living that Paris Hilton life. I did like the idea of what it was. The song itself's not my favorite, but I loved the visuals that that it had within this movie or within this song. That was what I loved. The piano in the pool. I love the old school vibe of yeah, you know, her bathing suit and the headdresses, and I really did love what they did with it. Didn't love the song so much.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say something probably a little controversial. I don't really remember any of the songs from the movie, like maybe one of them. Whereas I finished high school musical one and I couldn't get several of the songs out of my head.
Speaker 2: Of your head, yes, and I did not have that with this movie. I didn't love all of them, but I did. I do think there's definitely standout one. No, there there are.
Speaker 1: There were were certainly some that were far more catchy than other ones, but there were if you ask me right now, to hum one of the songs, I couldn't. I know that sounds strange. I couldn't. I could still do We're all in this together, you know, stuff like that in the game, get your head in the game. Absolutely, those are still I could right now.
Speaker 2: But oh, you're right, there's got to be so many people that disagree with.
Speaker 1: You on Oh I'm sure. Oh, I'm sure most people do where they're like, this music was better than the music. I disagree. I thought the music was better in the first one.
Speaker 2: I think it's hard. I think each movie, for me, each movie has the standout songs that I like and the standout songs I could live without. Sure, you know, but again, this one isn't a song that I remember exactly the rhythm and the catchiness of it. But I loved the visuals.
Speaker 1: Yeah me too.
Speaker 2: It was really, of course, well choreographed, creative, well choreographed routine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is exactly what Sabrina is talking about. It's a cool setup, Ryan playing a pink piano and Sharpey sitting on it in the middle of the pool, surrounded by other students splashing with synchronized swimming, and just then the country club's newest hire enters. It is Troy and his friends.
Speaker 2: We don't know when he actually decided to tell them that they have a.
Speaker 1: Job, but he did. Shar is thrilled to see him, that is until she also sees the newest lifeguard. It's Gabriella uh oh, and she does what anyone would do in this situation. She yells not and falls into the pool. Sharpay screams over and over as if she's drowning until Gabriella jumps into savor. This is not working out the way the Sharpei planned. But also, can we take a minute to talk about how blue zac Efron's eyes.
Speaker 2: Are so glad we're talking about it because I could not believe. There were so many moments where I was like, I don't remember his eyes in the first movie being that magnetic, fake piercing. Yes, he looks like he has enhancer contacts on. They're just so blue, so blue right and never missed a beat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy right, it's.
Speaker 2: Shining bright and twinklean towards the camera. He is this movie for me with Zach. I think the first movie he's very cute. This movie sets him up as a leading man. I get it. That's how I sure that the evolution of him in this movie, he looks like a leading man.
Speaker 1: I get that one hundred percent. And there're just so few people that have eyes as magnetic as ours.
Speaker 2: Yes, you and me and.
Speaker 1: Zachly right, same thing. My red watery eyes are just right up there with his. A drenched Sharpey is furious at Fulton. She told him to hire Troy, not the entire student body, he explained. She told him to do quote unquote whatever it takes, and this is what it took. He didn't tell her about the caveat, but he did tell her mom. That makes Sharpey even matter. She sprints to the yoga class to take it up with her mom. Sharpey knows this will mess with her talent show, but her mom doesn't see the problem. Frustrated, Sharpey runs off again and this time tells Fulton to make the Wildcats want to quit so she can fix the problem. The gang is now getting situated in their jobs, as we learned that Sharpay's parents own the entire country club. Fulton is already starting to bother the Wildcat's hires, pressuring them and threatening them that He'll always be watching. They can be fired at any moment. Three strikes and you're out. They know he's trying to ruin their summer, but they're wildcats and they can work together, see again together, shot, and still make the best of the summer for their lives. This enthusiasm leads up to our third song, Work This Out, using the kitchen as their backdrop with pots and pans as drums. Troy and Gabriella are staying positive, but everyone else isn't so sure. By the end of the song, everyone's optimistic they can turn it around. How is this song for you in the rank?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get just thrashed for this. I hated it, but the choreography of the song, it just to me, especially when we go back to it being over ninety minutes. This one could have gone. I didn't need this whole the whole section of it I did. It didn't add a lot a lot to the movie for me. It could have just skipped right into the next scene, right. It's not like the choreography was bad. I mean, I just I just it wasn't necessary, you know, And that's what I especially knowing that I'm gonna do a podcast with you and you and trying to explain, you know, the different musical things. Yeah, it's not necessary, don't.
Speaker 1: Do it, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like make the and again going back, the amount of music that's in it. Make the ones that you actually see count. And I just didn't think that was really what happened with this actual song. Okay, I'm gonna get slash, guys, You're not come for me. I love high school musical. I love everything about it. This song just could have gone Okay, just this.
Speaker 1: One, not maybe not just the second they started banging on the pot, I'm like, oh man.
Speaker 2: As soon as they started banging on the pots, I was like, oh got here. Sabrina loves the.
Speaker 1: Weird Now. Later in the day, Gabriella is clocking out from her lifeguard shift and Troy starts flirting with her. Of course, he takes her to the golf course, even though she knows it's off limits for employees. Also middle of the day, nobody using the course, middle of the day, middle of the thinking about it's like, maybe do this at night when you can't play golf. But I would just want to just I know that sounds awful, but it's a comedy side of me. I just wanted somebody to get hit in the head with the.
Speaker 2: Golf halfway through the thing.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, they have.
Speaker 2: A little picnic, the idea if someone just if the golf ball landed by them, just to make it a little bit more realistic's a middle of the day.
Speaker 1: You're sitting on a golf course at a golf club in the middle of the day.
Speaker 2: But we're also at a country club where there are very little adults.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, or anywhere. It's a kid's country club. It's the wild West. They do have a little picnic and they talk about the summer and how working at the country club together means a lot. They throw grapes in each other's mouths and it is Tot's doorbs. But looking on from afar is Sharp Hay and her brother, who turned the sprinklers on, ruining the romantic moment right before they kiss.
Speaker 2: But plan backfire. Sorry Sharps.
Speaker 1: When that two run through the water, making the best of the situation, Fulton busts the soaking lovebirds, giving them a last warning. The next day, Troy and Gabriella arrive at work together and make their way to the piano where Kells is practicing. Kells is so excited for the Talent Show. She has ideas for everyone. She even wants Troy and Gabriella to sing something, but Troy puts a stop to that quickly. His singing career began and ended at the East High Winter Musical. He's not at the country club to perform. He is a straight jock dude and wants everyone to know it. But Kelsey already has a song written for them. She starts it off with some yeah yeah yeahs, and it's called you Are the Music in Me. Eventually Troy and Gabriella take over to sing it. They don't ever actually look at any of the words, and all of a sudden they just know it and all the harmonies and everything together musicals, This would obviously be the Talent Show hit. Mid song, they're even joined by all their friends, who also know nothing about the song, but take a break from their job to surround them at the piano and sing along, what do you think of You Are the Music in Me?
Speaker 2: I liked this song. I like the song. This is one that I remember. I could the melodies in my head right now.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know melody, but it was cute. I did like this song and they're singing to each other and they're singing over the piano. I get it. This is what most of the fans, I think, came to come and see. You're listening about Zach and Vanessa and everything they're going on, and they're, oh, they're a real couple, and now they're singing to each other.
Speaker 2: Disney at its best. I totally totally get it. Yep ate it up just along with every fan out there.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolute, me too. I thought it was great. It goes without saying everyone loves the track, and it even gets Troy to sign up for the Talent Show if all his friends join him again. This guy can't do anything by himself, nor do his friends apparently want him to do anything without him.
Speaker 2: I need to pause for a second because, if I remember correctly, wasn't this the big lesson learned at the end.
Speaker 1: Of the last I thought so.
Speaker 2: The way he did it, he only learned that lesson for a short period of time, and it started and ended with this one musical. I thought we were okay with the singing and being a jock and singing together, so I was a little confused on the lesson.
Speaker 1: Now I don't get the lesson either. I also thought he and Sharpey were friends at the end of the last one, So yeah, it's it was a little yes, I agree with two hundred percent, we'll put it that way again. I don't know why he needs his friends to join him do everything, and why his friends need to be there for everything that he does. That was a problem I had with this movie overall was how his best friend, Corbin's character doesn't look in at one point and be like, dude, you should go get a scholarship.
Speaker 2: You should go do this stuff. You don't have to be a dick about it, but.
Speaker 1: We want you to succeed on your own. But they're like, you're the captain. You've got to take us with you everywhere you go, Like, come.
Speaker 2: On, dude, I'm trying to get into college here serious. So that very it really disappointed me because I know you are not that selfish.
Speaker 1: That needed to being right. Your friends should be supporting you through all this stuff, but they all agree to be in the show and just like that, they're going to compete. Unfortunately, Ryan overhears this decision and tells Sharpey, But Sharpey has a plan and will need the help of her country club owning dad to pull it off. Back in the kitchen, all the wildcats are having fun with Troy and Chad pretending to be British, apparently for no reason.
Speaker 2: But that's all right.
Speaker 1: I'm often pretend to be British. Gavna mid British dance. They are informed by Fulton that they've been promoted to golf caddies for the day. They're excited about the job switch and quickly learn they're caddying for Sharpey and her family, including her father, who choppers in Hell's. Yeah, big stunt for a d com. Now we've talked about this. You golf, don't you?
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: We got to golf.
Speaker 1: We'll we'll do a foursome with Sue and I.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's fun. I you know what I love about golfing is like everyone kind of sucks, so it's like unless you don't even though you're it's such a frustrating game. Everyone is very supportive on the golf course. That's what I really do love. It's all about just you know, no one's they always anyone you get paired up with, which I always get so nervous when we get paired up with strangers. Yeah, of course, I'm like always nervous, but everyone's always really supportive. And I love golfing. It's something that I really enjoyed having something Jordan and I can do together.
Speaker 1: That's what Sue and I are going to pick up. I golf three years and haven't now for years, and she's wanted to, so we're going to start again. Yeah, it's fun and it is I do agree with the old statement though, that golf is a beautiful walk spoiled, and I think that's absolutely true. So Sharpay and her mom are terrible at golf. Well we think Sharpay is terrible at golf, but she's faking it. But Troy helps a dad with his club selection. Troy sees Gabriella from the course and invites her to dinner, but before he can confirm it, Sharpei tells him to get back to caddying. Eventually, Sharpey convinces her family to let Troy drive a ball, and after a beautiful swing, and it was a beautiful swing, he obviously does play golf. You can tell that is a golf.
Speaker 2: Swin method actor probably got some very expensive price or he played or he plays. Yeah, I mean he seems to be very athletic.
Speaker 1: Yeah he does, and he can swing a golf club. Her dad thinks he can help him get into college for sports. And just like that, he's becoming part of Sharpay's rich family and circle of influence. I'd like to go back to the beautiful kitchen that we were talking about before, because apparently he needs a scholarship because he says his parents are pinching pennies, and then we cut to his bedroom later in the day. He lives in what I can only.
Speaker 2: Describe is a mansion or a huge, beautiful home. And I don't remember. I know there had to have been a scene. I feel like I kind of need to go back and watch the first one again of his bedroom, and I don't remember it being that lavish and in that elaborate of the kind of because I mean, his bedroom was rocket it was a cool bed.
Speaker 1: So you go from that kitchen to the bedroom. This couple is not pinching pennies. This is a very well off couple that they're either supposed to be well off and they didn't write to it, or they're posts did not be well off, and they put them in the wrong house because it's stunning, and I'm like, what are you pinching pennies for?
Speaker 2: It's your kitchen was twelve hundred square feet, Like what's going on?
Speaker 1: So that I didn't understand that in any way shape or.
Speaker 2: For him, but anyway I caught onto that as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah we are now after hole eighteen. They're back in the kitchen and Chad is icing his feet from walking the course. Even with their tough day, Fulton forces them into dinner duty for the night, but instead of waiting tables, Sharpay's dad invites Troy to sit with his family and an administrator at the University of Albuquerque Albuquerque albu q u e r que boom, thank you very much. Troy is blending in as a rich person, and Chad, who is waiting tables, is grossed out watching all this unfold. He's watching his friend turning to somebody else. The U of A guy hints to a scholarship for Troy because he's struggling in that nine thousand square foot house, and Sharpei drops the bomb that he can also sing embarrassed, Troy excuses himself, but Sharpay makes him promise he'll sing with her soon, which he does. Now here's a hot take. At this point, Troy and Sharpei could be a cute couple with something therapy. Agree or disagree, disagree? I disagree.
Speaker 2: Nobody wants that I disagree to.
Speaker 1: But Sharpay's gonna make somebody very happy until she doesn't. After dinner, a Troy retreats to the now empty kitchen, where he screams in agony.
Speaker 2: He notices he's late.
Speaker 1: And darts to the pool to meet Gabriella. Do you notice anything in this scene? This is the one I rewound three times.
Speaker 2: The pool scene before he and thees he's late. No, he goes like this, I'm late.
Speaker 1: He's not wearing a watch.
Speaker 2: No, he doesn't have to that my god, no watch, my god.
Speaker 1: Literally staring at an empty wrist, He's like, I'm late.
Speaker 2: Oh how did no one watch? He's not wearing around it? Three times he's not wearing a watch. I'm like, how do you know you're late?
Speaker 1: Dude? How does somebody not just strap a watch on your wrist?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: He he is not wearing a watch. So that just happened. It is what it is. He notices he's late, Like I said, I don't know how he notices he's late, but he does, and he darts to the pool to meet Gabriella. He says he's gonna change his clothes and come right back. While he's gone. Taylor arrives and Player hates. She criticizes Troy for being an hour late. Back in the kitchen while clocking out, Fulton intercepts Troy and tells him he's not off yet. He forces Troy to follow him into what looks like a dark corner of the grounds, which is kind of creepy but is actually a personal luau from Ryan and Sharpey. It gets us into another song, this one called Humahuma Nuka Nuka a puaa. It's an island story about a queen and her fish king, named after the official fish of Hawaii. Ashley Tisdale is the real MVP of this movie.
Speaker 2: This was hysterically funny, this song funny.
Speaker 1: This was great.
Speaker 2: She is I mean, this is when you just see the spotlight on her and how much she dives into this character. There is no way we're committed to making this character jump off the screen. It is unreal.
Speaker 1: She is so good, Lady Ashley, Lady Ashley, because she is incredible again, so committed, mostly during a part where she pretends to be a whaling fish. Ryan also appears to be a little jealous of Droy as he takes over his part in the show.
Speaker 2: Ryan is amazing. I think our name is Luke. He's amazing. The three girls that are her just backup staple, backup girls. They are hilarious in this two. I mean this. This was such a good number. That was my favorite number of my favorite number. It was a comedy number. It gave me all of the Lucille Ball vibes. I loved it. I was here for it.
Speaker 1: I loved this nothing it Also it was like Teen Beach movie, so they had vibes of that where it's like you're almost making loking fun a little bit of the musical aspect of the movie, which I'm all here for. It was great the way she did it.
Speaker 2: Oh, there was a lot of tea of Team Beach had the vibes. Yeah yeah throughout. Yeah, the vibe really was strong throughout it.
Speaker 1: Was but that was very, very funny. This is my favorite yeah, favorite.
Speaker 2: One of the show.
Speaker 1: Anyway. Troy isn't impressed at all with what he saw, and she's cutting back to him within the zach with his mouth open, like what the hell am I watching? Which is great. He thinks it's too produced. He wonders if she ever thought about just doing a stripped down song, showcasing her voice, just her and a mic. She loves the idea. She imagines a song for her and Troy, stripped down, no frills. He doesn't want to do it. He's with Gabriella and he's not even a singer. He compliments her shoes and runs away while she's distracted, showing gratitude. Great scene. Troy rushes back to Gabriella at the pool and performs a big cannonball to say hello. She's nervous they shouldn't be swimming, but he pretends to drown and she just joins him, which is a pretty common move. I guess this is to just fake drowning that happens in a lot of movies. They swim and flirt, and even though he was late and Taylor's trying to salt his game, she's still in love with him and what they have is great, but just as they go to kiss once again, this guy can't get any action. They are interrupted by Fulton. He gives them a second strike, warning them of the third, and kicks him out of the pool. Didn't he give him a last.
Speaker 2: Warning the first time? Anyway, I'm gonna leyes he did. I know, but we're gonna let it go.
Speaker 1: It's also this guy.
Speaker 2: Starready on strike three. I was like, oh my gosh, Roly like she's getting into the movie and she's done. She's fired.
Speaker 1: He also keeps getting in her trouble. Yeah, he also keeps getting under in trouble. This is all Troy's fault. He keeps saying like this was on me, and it's like, well, it was on you, but they don't seem to care. Yeah, we are back at the Bolton Mansion. That's all I have to say about that. Troy is helping his dad work on a truck with a basketball under the hood. There's the basketball and if you on the shelf behind him once again to remind you it's all about basketball. He tells his dad about the University of Albuquerque albuq u r Que possibility, and his dad seems really, really into it. The next day, Gabriella is teaching a water aerobics class when Troy arrives and tells her how much fun he had last night. Just then, Sharpey yells his name from afar. She's holding a sign that reads see Fulton Now. Troy sets a break date at one thirty and leaves just in time for Taylor to run up again and be a total and once again, she was about his typical tailor.
Speaker 2: My gosh, I know that it just was a little too much. I was like, Monique, calm down, you're killing us.
Speaker 1: Monique, you're killing us.
Speaker 2: In us way, just blocking too hard. I know, Blacks. Meanwhile, what kind of blocking? I just said blocking?
Speaker 1: What kind of blocking spree? I'm just curious. Someday, Ah, someday, I'm telling you. Meanwhile, Fulton surprises Troy with a promotion, another one in another week. This guy's going to co own the resort. He's going to teach golf to kids and get five hundred dollars plus tips. This is a massive raise. He's even going to get a golf cart, new expensive clothes, and a free club membership. Damn, I'll take this. The Evans family thinks he has untapped potential, which, by the way, he does, and Fulton suggests he takes the free ride as far as it can go, which by the way, he should.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: They're seventeen and he's got an opportunity for his future. You take it. On the course, Troy is a natural with the kids in a very funny way. Sharpay joins to hit at the driving range with their pink golf balls. I love everything's pink or locker everything, and continues to try to get Troy into the talent show. She says, you have a boosters will be there ready to give out scholarships again, something he should take advantage of. He's still hesitant, but she reminds him he promised this time. She compliments his shoes and guess who sees them talking. That's right, it's little misno at all, the girl that Sabrina here just called a massive cock block tailor. She runs the snitch to Gabriella, saying he has more moves than an octopus in a wrestling match. That means Gabriella isn't worried yet, so even though her friend is trying to sabotage their relationship, Gabriella is still okay with it.
Speaker 2: Yes, and she is adorable and confident. I love Gabriella for being like, girl, relax, we're good. That's serious. We're good. He's doing a job. She seems to be the only one that continues to cheerlead him like she should as all her girlfriend. We're all doing our job. He's fine, We're good. Everyone relaxed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a time she realizes that they're all in this together, Sabrina, that's what she realizes. Troy is called to the hotel lobby, where he meets some of the Albuquerque Won't spell it again basketball stars, who invite him to lunch and eventually to scrimmage with them. Sharpay joins the lunch too, and she's treating it all like they're a couple. At the lunch, Troy teaches the basketball players how to golf, and now surrounded by basketball stars, he plays off Chad, telling him he ordered Swiss on his burger, sending him back to the kitchen. And this is where I was like, Oh, now he is starting to change. Now we're starting to change. By the way, never ever gets Swiss cheese on your burger. Troy has ditched the pores and Chad is now furious. He complains to Gabriella and Taylor, and you can tell Gabriella is starting to feel the change as well. Sharpa and Ryan race to Kelsey and demand she have the duet that she offered to Troy and Gabriella. Since Kelsey works at the country club, it's Sharpei because she's gonna sing it with Troy. Ryan is not thrilled because he was supposed to do the Tiki song with her, but Sharpei doesn't care. She needs a brother to just watch the Wildcats and make sure they don't steal back Troy for the talent show. Outside, Troy is now an Albuquerque basketball warm up jacket and he's shooting some hoops. When Gabriella walks out, she seems a little more upbeat than you imagine. He says he'll be back in an hour to take her to the movies, but she has concerns. Promise is a big word and he hasn't been keeping his at all lately. He even forgot an employee baseball game. Later, she says he seems like a new Troy and not one that she knows. Ooh, it's all starting unravel. Right then, his high school friends walk by to play, but he straight up ditches them. When his new college friends pull up, the transformation is complete again. He doesn't have to be a jerk about it, but he's going for the possibility of a scholarship to college and a job that.
Speaker 2: Could change his life. Right, maybe this is.
Speaker 1: When your friends need to be like, dude, you shouldn't have forgotten.
Speaker 2: Not cool, but we get it, right, Like, we get it. This is what this is. Where I was like, it's not like it was a game that matters of any sort. It's like a country creation softball game. Give me a break, it's not so serious. Yeah, I do think remind him you don't need to be a jerk about it. Yes, At the same time, have fun tell us about it, like, yeah, let us know how it goes, you know, And.
Speaker 1: I love the rest of his team. At one point was like, didn't weren't you going to invite us to the scrimmage? They're not going to bring all the Wildcat's high school team to the University of Albuquerque.
Speaker 2: That's that's not how It's not how it works. That's not how they recrue. It's one kid at a time. They pick kids from all different high schools.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you never.
Speaker 2: There's never been a transferring of a high school student to one specific school. Now, give me a break. This is insane. You guys sound like.
Speaker 1: Yes, you can be loyal to your friends, Yes, and still have your friends go after your dreams exactly say dude, you gotta go do what you gotta do.
Speaker 2: So yeah that I thought that was not a good message anyway.
Speaker 1: Gabriella and Taylor run into a dejected Ryan and convince him to join them for the staff baseball game, which is a very nice gesture. It seems like he might be switching sides, and when they arrive at the game, everyone realizes Troy ditch the Wildcats and Sharpey ditched Ryan. So they wonder can they team up to create their own act for.
Speaker 2: The talent show?
Speaker 1: What Gabriella tries to convince Ryan to direct them, but Chat isn't sold. He doesn't dance, and he doesn't trust Ryan. So to prove himself, Ryan joins the baseball game and is a surprisingly good pitcher, which sparks a song called I Don't Dance And this is where I lost it a.
Speaker 2: Little bit, did you? It's a song. It's a song.
Speaker 1: About not knowing how to dance and not wanting to dance.
Speaker 2: He doesn't say I don't know how to dance.
Speaker 1: No, but don't dance while dancing the whole time. Sure, while dancing the whole time.
Speaker 2: Phenomenal dancer. I mean, he just doesn't he just doesn't like to show his skills off. But he's a.
Speaker 1: He's dancing in front of a hundred people at a baseball game. Everybody's dancing. It's a choreographed dance to a song so called. I don't dance.
Speaker 2: I don't care. Will I don't care. I'm not saying I didn't like it. I didn't know for the dancing.
Speaker 1: The dancing is phenomenal. It's great dancing. But it stuck with me to the point where as I was explaining it to Susan walking the dog, I stopped to say, I'm not dancing right now like you're. You're singing about not dancing while you're dancing.
Speaker 2: I don't care. I am in corbon blue starts dancing sold he they're phenomenal, phenomena, They're great. I don't care what, but.
Speaker 1: Man, it's it's somebody singing a song. Saying I don't punch you in the face while punching you in the face. I don't rock exactly. So the great choreography, but it's the same thing. I had, the same problem I had with the first one, where he's singing about not wanting to sing now they're dancing, wanting to.
Speaker 2: Say, I know, I get it. I didn't understand that being such a huge aspect of Chad's character than not dancing, right, you know, because the first one right again, it doesn't really It's one of those things where it kind of wasn't necessary. We could have just switched the lyrics up this, That's what I'm saying. We've also watched him dance the whole movie so far, because he's a phenomenal. But that's that's my point. He's amazing.
Speaker 1: He's amazing, So then why make the song called I don't dance when we've watched him dance.
Speaker 2: For an hour. I feel like a big part of it where I did Understan and the character wise, they were trying to separate Chad and Run being so different and then mold and then finding a respect for that.
Speaker 1: Thousand ways to do that without making this song called I don't dance while.
Speaker 2: Right, fine, I still don't.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying again.
Speaker 2: It's super entertaining, favorite, wonderful. This was one of my favorite. This was to me epitome Keddy Ortega out on the field when they hit that pyramid, they're doing their line changes. They've got the bats like, oh my god. I was so like popping and jam into this one. I loved it.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: I clearly did not care about the lyrics, but at the same I see where you're coming from. But at the same time, I just loved it too much to care. I liked it too. I just did not like the lyrics it made. I knew you were going to destroy that one. I was like, oh God, here.
Speaker 1: We go, so here we go. But anyway, it's a song literally about how Chad doesn't dance, but if Ryan can pitch well, then anything is possible. While Chad is singing and rapping that he doesn't dance, he's in fact dancing. This is all taking place during a baseball game, and the song might just be the most ridiculous one we've seen so far. I know you love it, but it is true. Chad and the Wildcats win the game by one run. But more importantly, Ryan has earned their respect, which I really liked. It looks like they're going to combine forces for the Talent Show after all. We are now over at the University of Albuquerque. Troy is scrimmaging with the team and looking pretty good. The coach and the boosters are impressed. During a break, he tries to call Gabriella, but she's too busy having fun with the Wildcats and their new best friend Ryan. It's even a little flirty between them, which Troy notices when he returns to the club and bumps into them. It's an awkward few moments with Ryan talk about her mom's brownies, which feels like euphemism. Troy is losing his girlfriend and he might be losing her to that dork Ryan.
Speaker 2: He's rattled, and he just walks away. That's the thing.
Speaker 1: So Gabriella has now seen him with Sharpey one hundred and ten times and is totally fine with it, still talks to him, loves him. He comes back, sees her with Ryan one time and walks away without saying anything to her.
Speaker 2: It was like, come on, I know, And I feel like that was so true to form of what it's like with girls and guys at this age, probably true, taking it and taking it and giving them the benefit of the doubt. Getting this girl steps out of wine for one hunt. She I know, I thought she did. If I were her friend, I'd have been like, girl, you might want to pull back a little bit. Really, Troy's gonna like that. She has given him eyes while she was in the bleachers. Yeah, she was a little She was a little little She's gonna get she's gonna give up her mom's brownies, but gives up the mom's brownies, just saying. I mean, she was a little more flirty than I would have assumed her to be. Okay, I don't think. At the same time, it was pretty hilarious. I thought the same thing. He sees one teeny tiny little moment, and she's like devastated.
Speaker 1: Storms off, turns those blue eyes away from her. That's just the way it is. Gabriella is just confused. We are now back in the kitchen and things aren't much better for Troy. His friends give him crap for ditching them for the college practice. He defends himself. He didn't go looking for the practice or to be a golf Caddy. They came to him. He's just going to work like everyone else. Fair, but his Wildcat teammates think he's just becoming a pompous jerk. He's no longer the captain that they knew. This turns into an argument with chest poking until it's broken up by Fulton sending them all back to work. And now it's time to rehearse for the talent show. Troy arrives and Sharpay make sure to show him that the scholarship committee will be sitting front and center, right next to his parents. Troy asked for Sharpay to take it slow, he's new to the whole performing thing, and Sharpey answers by ripping off her shirt, exposing a costume, and setting off pyrotechnics. It's really funny. We get a very upbeat pop version of you Are the Music in Me, the duet from earlier, but now it's a massive production with a live band, background singers, and strobe lights. We also get some falsetto from Zach, which was a pretty gutsy decision. In the end, Sharpey thinks they were meant to sing together, gushing over his skills. Clearly in love with him. He even envisions her where a wedding dress while talking. He's freaked out and quickly leaves. It was another fun moment beat every time.
Speaker 2: It was a little long, it was long, was a little long.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: But anytime she's on street it's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, we're not even close. This is part one of seven. The next day, Troy is, of course, shirtless, sweaty and shooting hoops. Of course, shirt of course he is. Again. I've said this on my other podcast, and I stick to it to this day. If I ever in my life have a body like that, I will burn and throw away every shirt I own. I don't care where I am in the world. I will be on a plane, a train, in a grocery store. I will not be wearing a shirt. But he's missing every shot as he's playing. His game is just certainly off. Meanwhile, the kids from East High are practicing their talent show performance inside, and Troy sees how much fun they're having when he passes by, especially Ryan and Gabriella Mom's brownies. Sharpey also sees them but doesn't notice Troy. She is furious at Ryan for making them so good, but he's proud of what he's done, and he's happy to join them. He leaves and we get another amazing Ashley Tisdale read when she yells to the drummer for a beat and then struts out time to the high hat. Awesome moment, and so literally. Sue walked in at that point, and I was like, I'm gonna need background music everywhere I go from now on. I need to walk into that one because that's awesome.
Speaker 2: So good. Give you a beat, Give me a beat, drummer, give me a beat.
Speaker 1: She storms into Fulton's office, demanding that every employee work at the Talent Show, not performing it, but Fulton pushes back Sharpay doesn't care. She instructs him to do it. In his office, we see a poster for a pass play in the club called an Onion for Papa, which frankly, I would really like to see. There's also a very weird medieval hat. There is no basketball, however. The next day, Fulton has Taylor to distribute the new plan for the Talent Show night. He seems very distressed about it, but he has no choice. He needs his job. In the kitchen, the Wildcats are still riding high and dancing Kelsey's even pretending to DJ and dinner plates. It's all fun and games until Taylor arrives with the bad news no staff participation in the show, no exceptions boo. Gabrielle has seen enough. She confronts Sharpei. I was so happy with this little TI. She's like, I'm just gonna go talk to that. She confront Sharpey, who is laughing and drinking smoothies with her friends. Their conversation escalates quickly, arguing about Troy and Ryan and the Wildcats summer and guess who's just coincidentally walking by to hear Gabriella quit Troy. As shar leaves, Troy stops Gabriella. Gabriella says working with him sounded like a good plan, but things have changed. He can go win the talent show with Sharpei in his new Italian shoes. Oh, he says. He's the same guy who wants to teach her twisted flips on the skateboard, whatever that is, just with a scholarship now in his sits. She doesn't believe him, and this takes us to a new song, Gotta Go My Own Way, a ballad where she breaks up with him in song. I'd like to give you some samples of the lyrics. It's so hard to say, but I gotta do what's best for me. You'll be okay. I've got to move on and be who I am. I just don't belong here. I hope you understand. We might find a place in this world someday, but at least for now, I gotta go my own way. Don't make me stop, don't make me say Zowie's I'm gonna give somebody else my mama's brownies. I'm kidding. I added the last part of that that was totally me, but but the rest of it was real. It is a breakup song while walking away? What did you think of this song, Sabrina, I gotta know the whole thing of walking away, running after her singing while walking away? How did you feel about this?
Speaker 2: Okay, So again, I'm in a place and I don't know if you remember, but when she had her whole solo ballad in the first movie, I felt again as though Vanessa looked like she felt awkward doing it.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if you remember that. So now we're on the second movie. I do know that her ballad from the first movie was a hit. Sure, the girls loved it, so I knew she was gonna have another one for this second movie. She looked more comfortable doing it than she did the first one, but I still feel like she wasn't one hundred percent sold on these very theatrical, very theoretrical. I think this comes into play of what you were talking about earlier, where the cheese factor comes in a little bit more. And Vanessa, because I've seen her perform live when she was doing her solo stuff, is very comfortable on stage. She's an incredible performer and a great singer, and this doesn't seem like. That's what I was thinking, not necessarily what the song was or what it meant with in the storyline. It was more so going man, they just they didn't ever give her a ballad that she felt really good scene. That's what it seemed like.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree.
Speaker 2: That was my outlook on the Ice One's.
Speaker 1: She was one running away and the song was still going. I was like, is she still singing and she's running away? And then she turns and she's lipsying. I'm like, yeah, Okay, she's still singing.
Speaker 2: She's running away right up until she closes the minivan door. Yep, she is, and tells her mom, we need to make more brownies.
Speaker 1: He needs to make more brownie for Ryan because brown Ryan understands. He gets, she gets oh my. Troy fights for her though also via a song. But a minivan, like we said, picks her up. Hopefully somebody she knows is driving. We think it's her mom. If not, she's just got into a strange minivan and there.
Speaker 2: Were no uber.
Speaker 1: We cut to Troy in his bed at home again in this amazing lavish bedroom, tossing the basketball in the air and you know what that means. Yep, here comes his dad walking in. Troy is depressed. His friends aren't returning his calls, and he won't even eat the steaks his dad barbecued. Troy has a heart heart with his dad and how he's been acting. Troy doesn't know who he is anymore, but his dad has a lot of faith in his son. He knows the same kid is in there, and he'll figure out the right thing to do the next workday. In the kitchen, his wildcat friends are still giving him the cold shoulder, and Kelsey clues him in about the staff not being able to perform, and infuriated, Troy rushes out of the building to sing and dance a song called bet on It and it's all about his dilemma and how he wants to make everything right. How did you feel about the song and zac Efron's dancing here?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I don't remember this song being the song that it is.
Speaker 3: What I know?
Speaker 2: That mean, I don't remember sitting there watching this in the theater, going what is happening right now?
Speaker 1: It's super cringey. Again.
Speaker 2: They are setting him up to be this leading man, let's call him the new Age John Travolta, right, Like, this is what they're setting him up to do. So I'm trying to think of, you know, the song that is in Greece that John did, and it's like, I'm like, it's I just again, I do feel like Zach committed to it. He really committed. I just don't feel like they gave him it just First of all, it's a very long song, yep, and it goes throughout that entire eighteen holes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, seriously again, where no one's playing golf. By the way, no one's played golf the entire time in this movie that that they're using and yeah.
Speaker 2: I just I don't. I don't. I feel like it was necessary. I was excited, but I feel like if it had just been shorter and a little bit more, just like Pocketed and not this big, long, giant song, it would have been fine. It just was because it was so long that they even stop him dancing. When he goes over to the water and I see the reflection, that's when digital I'm going in my head, it kept going. If I were interviewing Zach and I asked him, out of all of the things you've done in high school musical, what do you feel your least favorite. Yeah, I feel like he'd say that flash.
Speaker 1: I think so too. I think so too. It was just again, but I get it's.
Speaker 2: From fans, because I don't I've never heard of this song or anything. I need to know from fans. Did they like it? I'm I feel at the age I'm at years after this movie came out, but in the time, it was this gap, like damn, Zach Effron is the sexiest man alive. When he looked into that gorgeous reflection, it took me there, like, I mean, well, like what.
Speaker 1: I'll bet you. That's exactly what it is like.
Speaker 2: Do you think they loved it?
Speaker 1: Yes, I do, I do absolutely loved it. And this to me was I again I am.
Speaker 2: I loved it, loved.
Speaker 1: It as a forty year old man. I watched it through my fingers, like this is a cringey, cringey nine minute song, or however long it was.
Speaker 2: It was really long.
Speaker 1: So but that's me and I'm sure again Lisa already said loved it. I'm sure a lot of people did. This was a rough one for me.
Speaker 2: It was just so long. It really was very, very long.
Speaker 1: So this is from a producer, a producer, Lisa. But fans, I think, do now treat it more as a funny joke, like make fun of it when you're on a golf course or slap a reflection. Okay, that right, I get that.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: I think in the text thread she actually said you'll never look at a golf course again. And I think, Lisa, you are right again. I don't remember. I don't remember this scene at all when I first met, when I first watched it, so I was really surprised. And you're right, Lisa, I will never look at a golf course the same I think I'm going to learn some of those moves and the next time we do go golfing, will.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, do you think that that's going to happen? We're not running down the thing, standing on a thing and slapping water.
Speaker 2: Were playing golf together. We are running down that's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: We can of what we will. We will, of course put that on our social media. It is now the night of the talent show and all the wildcats are working, but we hear a loud shriek of sharpay echo through the country club. Troy has told her he won't performing, and she can't believe it. He asks for his kitchen job back, so he's an employee. He can't join in. He has to work. He doesn't like who he's become, so now he's doing something about it. He's more interested in his friend's opinion of him than the boosters love. That's stupid. He ditches her to clean the kitchen. She demands to find Ryan so he can do his Luau idea, but he won't perform with her either. Ooh, burning bridges. At the same time, Troy re enters the kitchen filled with his friends. They're happy to have the real Troy back, and they're proud of him for standing up for what he believes in. Ryan then enters the kitchen and Troy thanks him for his hard work with the Wildcats and apologizes for how he treated him. Ryan accepts, and even though he's still mad at her, he thinks Troy should go and sing with his sister. Troy thinks it over with a great blue eyed, smoldering look those blue eyes. Sharpey is crying in her dressing room when Troy appears. He says he'll save the day. He keeps his promises, but he'll only do the show if all the Wildcats can join, because this guy can't do anything, but God forbid the night he has loses his virginity, he's gonna need his entire team.
Speaker 2: There, my god, terrible she I'm just saying. She wishes he was.
Speaker 1: Doing this for her, but she knows he's a good guy. And the next thing you know, all the wild Cat employees are getting ready. Ryan says, Sharpei has picked a new song every day, and as all that's not picked a new song every day, a new song pause every day. That's the name of the song. And as always Troy can learn a new song in minutes with Kelsey, but when Sharpey is called to the stage, she did not pick a new song. Ryan and Kelsey did it behind her back. Troy takes the stage alone and performs every day and guests who comes out for the duet. Boom, Gabriella, she's back and everyone hates Sharpei. Yes, she appears from behind a group of people, just as a gust of wind hits Troy's hair. It's a big romantic moment and they're gonna be together every day. Eventually, the entire staff joins him on stage and sings along, even Sharpei, who now apparently knows the song, who they once again trust for some reason. Fulton is about to announce the winner of the Star Dazlo Award, which is set up to be Sharpei again, but in instead she grabs it and announces that it's her brother Ryan, well deserved. Now all of our main characters are outside at night holding lanterns. Gabriella says, here's to the future, but Troy corrects.
Speaker 2: Her, here's to right now.
Speaker 1: That's how I'm gonna say it, because that's how it sounded. They let go of the lantern to float away, and they finally kiss. Fireworks shoot off in the air and the sprinklers go off, but no one's phased. It's the best summer of their lives. We cut to the next day. It is a staff party at the pool and it's going off. There are way more employees than we ever could have imagined, and a band is playing. Eventually, our main characters take the stage and sing one last song, a massive number called All for One. It's about how great the summer was and how they did it all together. Shut and we get a big Disney cameo yes, which I had to rewind to make sure that it was right, with a brief appearance from none other than Hannah Montana herself Miley's Cyrus as a synergetic partygoer. She want to poll for what Disney star people wanted to see in the movie.
Speaker 2: Was she working at the Country?
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna get into it. She's probably with constrict anyway. Song ends with Zach Effron and Vanessa Hudgens jumping in the pool with their clothes on. Something you can only get one shot to film. We get the predictable blooper reel over the credits, which is great, and there is our movie. Do you think Sharpey turns on them again? And in High School Musical three? Is she even in High School Musical three? I don't know.
Speaker 2: She is definitely in High School Musical three. I have no idea. Can I tell you I know nothing about the third one?
Speaker 1: Not how much I know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I'm wondering now. I am absolutely wanting to know the third one. Now, where do we go from here? Because Sharpay is there's no way that she can just all of a sudden switch again. And wait, she has her own spin off movie after the third one Sharpey does. Oh my god, can we jump to that one? Or do we have to?
Speaker 1: We're gonna lose the whole story. We're gonna come back, She's gonna be holding two kids.
Speaker 2: Can wait? We have got to get to that one, because again, I can't imagine when an entire movie of just this character would he would be so good, so great, so good, so good.
Speaker 1: Well, there's our film. Can we do some real reviews? And it's worth noting? I'd like to write, I'd like to put this out there because this is true. It was hard to find bad reviews online for this movie. Of course producer Jensen did, but it was difficult to do. Oh and by the way, high school music. We just found out it's about prom and graduation.
Speaker 2: Of course it is. Okay, yeah, so we will get.
Speaker 1: To see him lose his virginity. Okay, good, So here we go, Sabrina, I think you have the one star this week? Can you read that out for us?
Speaker 2: And this one star makes me a giggle. I love it. This one is from Jonathan m. This music was so loud and so bad I may have went death. I literally may have went deaf, is what it says. Hearing aids don't even work it. You don't want to be deaf, then don't watch it.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's the scathing review. If you don't want to be.
Speaker 2: Deaf, volume down, relax down. I think that's a you problem, not the movie problem.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree. I have the five star review, of which there are bajillions, but this one, well, this one's from Fletcher Holmes Brown. And when I say I don't understand it, I mean I don't understand it. So five stars. I like that they all have faces. It's pretty cool. I have some Colgate Toothpaste at Home too. Five stars. Okay, well, thank you very much. We are going to go very quickly now to our feature, Sabrina's favorite part of the podcast, of course, and this week's feature is called Cigar but no Cigar. We all know the cast of High School Musical propelled into superstardom after the three movies, But did you know that reportedly the late Naya rivera audition for the first movie, and Selena Gomez rejected appearing in the third.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, what could have been? We'll be getting.
Speaker 1: So here's the game. We're gonna be given the name of a star and we have to guess what iconic Disney role, both on the Channel or in a movie they allegedly were up for and didn't book. This is hard, so two out of five will win.
Speaker 2: And again we don't know what this is. So yikes.
Speaker 1: Okay, Number one is Hugh Jackman. So what iconic Disney role was Hugh Jackman up for but didn't book?
Speaker 3: I would say also, like four of the five are like massive Disney Channel or Disney movie characters, so it's not like obscuring.
Speaker 1: Right right, Okay, I'm gonna say for Hugh Jackman. I'm gonna say the Beast in Beauty and the Beast.
Speaker 2: Ooh okay, so the cartoon movie, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I guess not because the new one. He would just get the new one when they just gives.
Speaker 2: Way too young. I don't know what it would have been.
Speaker 1: Then, what could he have been? What?
Speaker 3: It's live action, live Even if you lose, this one's gonna be very fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna lose because.
Speaker 2: He's because he's musical, right, like he's got.
Speaker 1: What's a big what's a big musical thing that it had adults for Disney?
Speaker 2: I have no idea.
Speaker 1: I don't either. I'm gonna stick with Beasts.
Speaker 2: I'm wrong, We'll do Beast.
Speaker 3: It's Captain Jack Sparrow.
Speaker 1: That makes sense written it was really then why didn't he do it?
Speaker 2: Doesn't say oh man, shes al right, I can't. That's a movie. You could not imagine Johnny Depp not being that character.
Speaker 1: That's just right. It's it's how do how do you not have Johnny Depp? Now? Our next one I have to google because I don't know who this is.
Speaker 2: I don't know who Taylor Mom said it is either.
Speaker 3: I don't know, she was the little girl in Grinch, but on top of that, she went on.
Speaker 2: To she was Cindy Luke Sidney Lucon and.
Speaker 3: Then gossip Girl.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, the one who's she's the head of that band in a band.
Speaker 2: Okay, then it's a TV show. I'm gonna go with Hannah Montana.
Speaker 3: Agreed, you got one right, it's Tanna Montana.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: One more for the win, Lindsey Lohan, a TV show for Lindsay Lohan.
Speaker 2: Uh ooh, Lindsey McGuire, Oh, good.
Speaker 3: Call dude, who is this person who's wearing the Sabrina mask? Maguire, she won.
Speaker 1: That was all her finishing up. Number four Billy Crystal, a Disney movie with Billy Crystal.
Speaker 2: Disney Disney Billy Crystal. It would have to be like an older one.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm gonna say the Santa.
Speaker 2: Claus Ooh, okay, I'll go with that.
Speaker 3: Very good guess. It's not correct, but that is a good guess. It's Buzz Lightyear.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 2: Okay. I was thinking Tom Hanks is is witty? Okay?
Speaker 1: And number five the last one Jim Carrey.
Speaker 2: In the movie Sad because I love him so much and what did what could he have done? What Disney movie could he have done? It would have been probably kind of back in the day. Can we get it? Just a small hint? Is it a cartoon movie?
Speaker 1: It's a cartoon Yeah, it is, okay, So.
Speaker 2: Then it could have been I'm gonna say Aladdin Aladdin. No, uh, Genie Genie Aladdin always.
Speaker 1: That's the Genie from Aladdin. But you're right, it's gonna be the Genie again.
Speaker 3: Another very good guess. But it's Prince Eric and little Mermaid. Oh your weird.
Speaker 2: That is so weird.
Speaker 1: I don't know about mermaids.
Speaker 2: I would hear. That would have been so cool to see here Prince Eric like funny though, he would have.
Speaker 1: There we go. But hey, you won, and that's all Sabrina by the way, that was all Sabrina. Sabrina won. Congratulations. Can we do a Sabrina ces please?
Speaker 2: Yes, I've got a couple. They really hit me from the very beginning. I had so many right at the beginning that I kind of was like, I'm not gonna have enough time to do all of them, so I'm just gonna kind of probably pull back. So I know, you say you like dance movies and dance offs. But do you are you a fan of So you think you can dance?
Speaker 1: I've never seen so you think you can dance?
Speaker 2: Okay, So then this one's not going to really resonate with you. But I'm hoping that there are fans of the show out there that it would resonate with. Alison Holker is in this movie. Now. She is a giant name that was on the show, competed, has gone back to do many all star performances. Also was a pro on Dancing with the Star, So she's a big dancer. Okay. She married a guy named Twitch at the late Twitch. He's unfortunately passed away. Who has ever heard of them? The DJ on Ellen DeGeneres's show. Yeah, I heard it. They were a couple. They met on I think throughout this So you think you can dance? And he was so Twitch was in the Step Up movies.
Speaker 1: Then I will twitches.
Speaker 2: Okay, there we go. So she has I doubt it was even considered a cameo when she filmed this. She might have done this before she did. Sure can dance, but she's one of those cheerleaders. A funny thing is because she's in it twice. She's in it when they went down the stairs very first scenes of the movie, the first musical. Then she is one of the dancers that does that really crazy technical skill that I told you about. Yeah, she's in it. I love Allison, she's a friend of mine. Shout out. She did amazing and to me, she jumped right out of the screen and was absolutely awesome. So that's one thing. In the next one was I'm almost positive and I should have fact checked this with Lisa. I feel like she would have known. They're a little picture of them that's in the locker that you pointed out earlier. I'm almost positive that's from like a red carpet of them on her red carpet. I feel like it is. I tried to find one. I took a screenshot of one. I think it could possibly be from some world premiere. Uh, maybe that is the high school music supermier, but that's what that It's not this exact picture, but I feel like it's of the same day because her hair looks the same and they're cute, they're young, so it looked like that to me. And then I had to do my friend James is in this movie, and I knew he was, and this is we didn't really know each other at the time, but he's the one that was in Sharpay's he's like her waiter at the beginning pool party. Oh okay, And I knew he was in it, but I thought he was a dancer. He has a full character, like Buddy, you got like a old You never told me that I knew you were in the movie. But yeah, in this movie, and we've already touched on it, there is not a bikini on site. There is no mid drifts of any girls around the entire time we're around the pool. However, there are hundreds of shirtless guys. Yeah, stand in standards and practices. Why that was not a thing? I feel like Hope could probably give us some insight on that. Why is it okay just show shirt with guys, but you cannot show any midriff within like a bikini or a top. Well, it was so strange to me, of course, the reflection. And then one thing I don't know if you noticed you might have, but Troy's mike at the very last song, every different shot he kept it was like a sequin stance situation, but he had his mic in a different hand every time. Oh, really crazy, because that's one thing as a performer, a continuity thing like with Mike's especially that it is very obvious when your Mike switched, so you have to really be I'm going to be a right handed mic person or I'm holding with my right hand.
Speaker 1: And don't switch it around a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't switch. So that drove me crazy, and that's all I got.
Speaker 1: That's great. Yeah, we just have. Yeah, rules were crazy for the girls because parents complain more on girls clothes than boys clothes.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, that does make sense. But I mean maybe there's a reason why moms weren't calling in complaining about that, exactly.
Speaker 1: Honest double standards. Oh love it, love it all.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Now it's our time where we're gonna rate this movie, and this week we've got some great options. We've got one out of ten, of course, one being the worst, ten being the best, as we do every week. One out of ten, twisted flips on the skateboard, one out of ten, soaked love birds, one at ten University of Texas logos. One at attend people pretending to be British for no reason. One at attend to humahumakua us one attend singing breakups, octopuses in a wrestling match, hating ass tailors one out of ten your Mom's brownies or one out of ten Miley Cyrus Campbell. I'm gonna leave get.
Speaker 2: A chance to talk to Monique Coleman about her hate and how she felt about that with her character.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have to find out which one. What do you want to do? I'm gonna let you pick. Hmm.
Speaker 2: I think I want to do humahum That's what I want to do.
Speaker 1: Are you even gonna be able to say it? It's hum humakaua.
Speaker 2: Huma huma nuka.
Speaker 1: Humahumakua huma humakaukaua. Okay, we'll do that one. I'm gonna go first because I go first. Yeah, I'm gonna go first. So I did not like this movie as much as I liked the first one, but I still enjoyed it. It was much more theatrical, it was much bigger. I just found it to be a little bit cheesier than the first one. But I get why people would love this movie. People are obviously stars. Ashley Tisdale is incredible. I'm gonna go with eight point five humahua as for high school Musical two. I think I gave high school Musical nine or even in nine to five, so it's just below that. It's just below that. But yes, I'm gonna go with eight point five huma human ukkua as four or high school musical too.
Speaker 2: And now it's your turn. Oh man, Okay. So I was actually surprised. I wasn't expecting to like it again as watching it now as much as I liked the first one, which I know the hype, I know everyone loves the second one. I wasn't expecting to like it as much because I don't remember liking it as much when it originally came out right watching it again, I liked it the same I did. It gave me everything that I wanted, especially now. I adored the chemistry between the two of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can see like.
Speaker 2: Ashley Tisdale's I loved knowing the background of me working with Kenny the way, like we have talked before, how he arcs storylines for every character. It's not just the two big characters, it's it's everywhere. And I could see where he's going with a lot of the characters in the second movie. I I'm going to give it a nine. I really did like it, and again nine A nine. Humahumakunkuna not accurate but okay. And that's again still saying, and I know I'm gonna get flak for it that some of the songs were too long and one in my opinion, was not needed at all. And even with that, I loved the movie.
Speaker 1: It's a nine for me, A nine.
Speaker 2: What humahuma nuka nukakuhoopakas.
Speaker 1: Nope, I was actually closer, which is really sad. Huma huma, huma, huma huma uma nuka nuka nuka.
Speaker 2: Poo a ah a pooa a poo ah ah. There you go, there we go.
Speaker 1: Hum yeah, Well, thank you everybody for joining us. Our next movie will be the two thousand and five figure skating dramedy Go Figure, which is currently available to you on Disney Plus, so go check it out before we do. And this week on the isolated magical Rewine Feed, we dug deeper for some extra credit at East High School when we spoke with Casey Strow aka Martha all about High School Musical two, What the sequels like all the success? She tells us it was such a fun interview. Here, take a listen.
Speaker 2: So I get there, nobody's told me it's Kenny Ortegas. Oh no, not that audition. I had no idea. Oh my god, no idea.
Speaker 1: Oh no.
Speaker 2: So I am like trying to keep myself calm.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you got this.
Speaker 2: You've done ten bazillion dance auditions in your life. You're fine.
Speaker 1: And some little twerp looks over at me and is like, I can't.
Speaker 2: Believe we're gonna dance for the man who did newsies. And I was like, Christian Bale's here, my Christian Bale, My soul up, my body, My soul up my body.
Speaker 1: And then she's like yeah and hocus Pocus and like everything, and I was like, are you freaking kidding me?
Speaker 2: These are the shows like I grew up on.
Speaker 1: Now, remember to subscribe to our feed. You just search for Magical Rewind wherever you get your podcasts of subscribe and follow along and you can follow us a Magical Rewind pod on the Instagram machine.
Speaker 2: Thank you, and we're all in this together. Shut bye, everybody. Bye,