Speaker 1: From Mahard. We're Innovation, Money and Power Collie in Silicon Valley, NBN. This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Ludlow.
Speaker 2: I'm Caroline heard at Bloomberg's world headquarters in New York.
Speaker 3: And alongsider for One more Day. I'm Ed Lovelow, also in New York. This is Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 2: Coming up, we'll get a read on the health of the tech labor market that.
Speaker 4: As US jobs report comes in hot it is there. With the read through into Silicon Valley, we'll discuss last.
Speaker 3: We stick on the topic of jobs and new filing shows Apple slashed around six hundred rolls after scrapping its car and screen projects.
Speaker 5: Will bring you that. Bloomberg Reporting and.
Speaker 2: Meta changes its policies around artificial intelligence to allow more AI generated content to remain on its platforms. We'll discuss that and so much more throughout this hour. And what are you watching on more of the MACROPA Just the.
Speaker 3: Basics of the jobs numbers, three hundred and three thousand, that's hot, the estimate two hundred and fourteen thousand worth, noting that there was also an upward revision to twenty two thousand. Net for the prior two months on the money when it comes to.
Speaker 5: Wages or earnings.
Speaker 3: As you said, you know, we'll think about what this means for specific tech names.
Speaker 5: In just a moment.
Speaker 3: But I think that it's good news in the sense Corporate America is looking great, you know, powering the economy. But the concern clearly is the timing of a FED rate cut. Higher rates discount the present value of future cash flows, as we always say on this show, and the market right now pushing out that rate cut bet to September from July. That's kind of where my head's out right now.
Speaker 2: Certainly, let's just get our heads around what happened with the job's number, what it means for a labor force, particularly in the technology sector. LinkedIn Head of Economics America's Corey Katang is joining us for look your take on the numbers, because all we've had inbound wise is companies becoming more contained with their hiring, more focused on just the AIS part of the equation and ultimately letting people go, what do you make of the fact that still we've got such a resilient jobs market coin.
Speaker 6: Well, today's number was a solid number. It's important to keep in mind that the job's number in terms of total jobs added has actually been fluctuating on average between two and three hundred since June twenty twenty three. So we're actually seeing a fair amount of steadiness in the labor market in terms of the number of jobs added. When you think about what's happening in the tech sector, we're seeing that the tech sector has also been sort of stabilized since June twenty twenty three. Based on our data a LinkedIn, we've see that the pace of hiring at tech has leveled out.
Speaker 5: It's still well.
Speaker 6: Below what it was before the pandemic, but we are no longer seeing massive drop offs in terms of hiring in tech.
Speaker 5: Corey, let's stick with that.
Speaker 3: So the pace of hiring in technology has leveled off according to your data. Therefore, it's not a big contributor to that three to three we saw this morning.
Speaker 5: The sector.
Speaker 6: I mean, that's right, two thirds of that three oh three is coming from just three sectors. Government, leisure and hospitality, hospitals and healthcare. That's the case this month, that was the case last month as well.
Speaker 3: I'm also interested that in money, wages, earnings, call it what you will, Karen and I pointed out, you know, on estimates, but we're not hearing that, particularly in the context of AI.
Speaker 5: We heard from Brad light Cap.
Speaker 3: The COO of Open AI, on the show yesterday there is a talent war, and a net result of talent war is usually you've got to pay more, either in cash or in stock. What's your data telling you.
Speaker 6: Well, certainly for AI roles, we're talking about technical AI roles, not just roles that may use AI. For those technical AI roles, there's a shortage of supply of workers that has been growing. We've seen in LinkedIn data that the number of workers who have those technical AI skills has been rising and rising rapidly, but it hasn't been able to keep up with the demand for these workers. So that's driving wages up and companies are going to consider other options, right They're also going to look for other places like Brazil and India where can they find these workers with these technical skills in order to build AI tools in house to foster productivity and innovation, but also managed to keep some control on their costs.
Speaker 2: Interesting we're hearing of course that ultimately immigration is helping keep down that wage inflation pressure. That's happening here in the United States as well. I wonder how many of those are coming into the tech sector. Is their talent coming in from abroad at the moment, do you think?
Speaker 1: Coy?
Speaker 6: So right now we're not seeing a ton of talent coming into the tech sector, but we are seeing a recovery from the pandemic. So the pandemic really knocked off a lot of movement within the tech sector, and we're starting to see those numbers come back up.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 6: There is a gap that was created by the workers who didn't come in twenty twenty twenty twenty one, and so we're still not there in terms of making up the gap for those works, but it's starting to come back at a level at a pace that can help support that sector.
Speaker 2: What about diversity, I mean, this is something that we always need to keep a track on that ultimately the disparity in wages that are going to people to color versus white workers, women versus men.
Speaker 4: How are the demographics shaking out at the moment.
Speaker 6: So one thing we've actually recently seen at LinkedIn, we've done an analysis that says when the labor market slows down, we see less women hired into leadership and that's not a situation where less women are applying for leadership. When the labor market slows down, they're applying more, but they're less likely to make their way into the top levels of leadership. So as the labor market slows down, it's very clear that everyone is disproportionately impacted. For example, the pandemic wiped out about five years of gains in the Black White unemployment gap. So as we continue to see some of the air being let out of the labor market. Right now, it looks stable, but if we do continue to see some air light out as expected until we start to see interest rates cut, that is certainly going to proportionately impact workers.
Speaker 3: LinkedIn Head of Economics for America's Corey Contenga, it's great to have you back on the program.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Some important breaking headlines and an update. The FAA says there is a ground stop at JFK and Newark Airports. In a statement, the FAA says at four point eight magnitude earthquake in New Jersey may impact some air traffic facilities in New York, New Jersey, but also Philadelphia and Baltimore. Air traffic operations are resuming as quickly as possible, and for more real time information go to the official channels, but we'll keep you posted here on Bloomberg Technology as well. I'm one of those people due to fly back to the West Coast from one of those airports this afternoon. Let's see what happens and also stick with the job story for a moment. According to filings with the California Employment Development Department, Apple laid off more than six hundred employees as part of the decisions to end its car and smart watch display projects. More let's go out to Bloomberg's Mark German. This is based on the warn notices, a really important place to look.
Speaker 5: What ima.
Speaker 7: So we've known about the layoffs for quite some time. Obviously, we broke the news in February that the Apple car project was being ended, and we also broke the news that the Apple micro led display project related to next generation Apple watches was being ended. The display project is less known, so me explained it for a minute. This was an effort where Apple was custom designing its own screens for the first time. Typically they relied on designs from Samsung, LG, what have you. For the first time, they were designing and test building test manufacturing their own displays at facilities in Santa Clara in Silicon Valley, California. So both of those projects ending. The people are some of the people part of the projects being laid off. We've known that. Now thanks to the war notices, we have a number. The total was six hundred and fourteen people right in California. Now the layoffs are actually a lot higher than that. There was a big group of Apple car employees working out of a secretive facility in Arizona outside Phoenix, at an old General Motors facility, and then in Asia you had several hundred people also working on the display project. So in California, six hundred and fourteen people, but the layoffs probably a bit closer to one thousand.
Speaker 4: Mark.
Speaker 2: Can you give us the context of what one thousand is relative to how many employees Apple has?
Speaker 7: You know, Apple has about one hundred and eighty thousand employees, maybe a little bit more, a little bit less than that, but that is a rough estimate that that includes both corporate and retail employees. On the on the corporate side, it's probably closer to seventy thousand employees, right, So a couple percentage points of the company. Again, these are not the mass layoffs that you've seen from some of the other companies in Silicon Valley. We're not talking about ten, eighteen, twenty thirty percent here. But still for Apple, this is three major rounds of layoffs. And I say major major contextually for Apple because they just don't do this right. So you had San Diego in January one hundred and twenty one people. This was an office where they did annotation and testing and improvement to Siri. They offer jobs to those people in Texas, but you can probably count on one or two hands how many people will be moving from San Diego to Texas for this role. And so that's one hundred and twenty one people. Then in February another six hundred and fourteen people, plus the several other one hundred in Asia in Arizona. So it is quite notable for Apple that we've come to this point where they're killing R and D projects and they're laying people off.
Speaker 2: Mar Gooman, we thank you so much for coming on in a day where you're meant to be resting. Thank you for spilling the means when it comes to Apple. We've got some more stocks to watch for. At this moment, Paramount currently under pressure. Now this is what we see reporting coming from CNBC that sky Dance's unique offer for Paramount is a special committee has a company continuing to trade publicly.
Speaker 4: But get this.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, the offer coming from Skydance will mean that the new ecuity will be dilutive for existing shareholders, but will align voting in each economic control in a way that hasn't been the case with the Redstone family. Of course, this is as we see Skuydoance taking over that Redstone Sherry Redstone element of control over Paramount's parent company shares. Keep a close eye on this potential deal. We're down four and a half percent after a rally yesterday. This is Bluemo Technology. Let's just go to another key stock that's actually on the move today to the higher side, Meta. But this is as the company is actually announcing it's changing its artificial intelligence policies. It's going to allow for more content generated by AI to remain on its platforms for more.
Speaker 4: Let's bring in bluemos Kirk Wagner.
Speaker 2: For ultimately the policy nuance here, they're going to allow it, but they'll market.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 8: So a couple of years ago, they came out with this manipulated media policy which basically said, you know, if someone uploads a video that makes it look like you, Caroline, are saying something you didn't actually say, it's been AI generated to sort of mislead people, that they would take that down. And now what they're saying is they're going to leave it up, but they're going to label it. And the idea being that if those types of videos do not violate a different rule within the company, if the only sort of you know, issue is that it was AI generated, they're going to leave it up even if it is misleading. Now, these things could still be fact checked, right, so there's a couple different ways that the company could sort of label these as AI generated or misleading, but they are going to lead them up instead of taking them down.
Speaker 4: Kut. How does this differ from others, Well, you know.
Speaker 8: X as we've seen, has sort of they have a manipulated media policy as well, but it doesn't not necessarily convinced that they're able to enforce these things in the way that they say they are. You know, we've seen this happen with the twenty twenty election. We saw some manipulated videos and audio show up. We've already heard complaints that this might be an issue for twenty twenty four, right, So the reason we're following this news and why these policies matter, of course, even if it is a small number of actual post hosts that are impacted, it's that those posts could be you know, shared by President Trump, President Biden, major campaigns are that are trying to influence this election, and so it's important that the company figure this out before twenty twenty four happens.
Speaker 2: Okay, And this does come into such a political context, It comes in such context at the moment of just generative AI being the flavor de jure. And are we seeing ultimately companies having to front run politicians and indeed regulatory change at this.
Speaker 8: We are because there is no regulatory framework for how these companies shouldn't moderate AI posts, but specifically generative AI. And so we've seen Nick Klegg at Meta come out publicly several times already in the last couple months and say we need rules, We need you know, government and regulators to basically come in and put some guardrails on this thing, because otherwise it's up to the companies themselves and Meta you know, to its credit, is trying to be proactive, or at least that's what they seem to be doing. But you know, unless there's anybody holding them accountable, holding you Tube and X and other platforms accountable, it's just everyone for themselves here. And so you know they are doing this proactively because there is no framework from the US or other governments.
Speaker 4: Really, Wagner, we thank you.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 5: I'm ed LOVEO.
Speaker 4: I'm Caroline Hyde.
Speaker 5: Okay, a quick update.
Speaker 3: An earthquake rattled northern New Jersey on this morning, shook building offices in Manhattan, and was felt on Long Island and in New York's Hudson Valley. Preliminary reports say it's a four point seven magnitude tremor. New York Governor Kathi Hokel posting about the quake, saying her team's assessing impact and damage. Headlines also out that President Biden has been briefed.
Speaker 5: Caroline.
Speaker 2: You local San Franciscans are just going like, what are they worrying about?
Speaker 4: Ed, what have you got?
Speaker 5: Okay, check this out for a second.
Speaker 3: So it looks like I'm not the only Bay Area local spending some time in New York City this week. That was Levi CEO Michelle Gas ringing the bell at the New York Stock Exchange earlier today, just days after the company reported earnings, but also of significant milestone or anniversary since the IPO five years interesting lifting EPs forecast for the full year, reporting adjusted knit income for the first quarter that beats estimates discipline cost cutting. There's a bigger story out there, and it's Beyonce. Delighted to say that Levi Michelle Gas joins us on set.
Speaker 9: Thanks for having me, ed carolinem thrilled to be here.
Speaker 3: I think we should just get right to Beyonce. To those who are living under a rock or perhaps didn't see it, Beyonce dropped the track list first for her new album. One of the titles was Levi Eyes Jeans. There was next Trye in there. That must be quite a boost you got this week.
Speaker 9: Well, I mean, let me just we are just so honored that someone like Beyonce, who is a global icon of a culture shaper, would.
Speaker 4: Name a song after us.
Speaker 9: Completely organic by the way, ed so, but.
Speaker 5: We will hold it on. What do you mean by completely organic?
Speaker 9: That we didn't have anything to do with her?
Speaker 5: Naming a song after us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that being said.
Speaker 9: I will say, I mean to me, you know, one of the things that's so critical about Levi's. I mean, we've been around for one hundred and seven years, deep heritage, authenticity, but it's so important that we remain at the center of culture. Right We're very We're a very inviting brand. We resonate with so many different people to be at that center of culture and have that youthfulness and relevance. And there's no better testament to being at the center of culture to have someone like Beyonce actually on her own name a song after us.
Speaker 4: So we are just thrilled. Has that done two sales in the last week or so?
Speaker 9: Can you get so it's so you know, so so very early, But I think it's it's part of I think the bigger thing that's happening right now is Levi's is having a great moment. I mean, you just mentioned we were so pleased to start the year off so strong, exceeding expectations inside and externally, but underneath that a lot of goodness. The denim category, after some volatility the last couple of years, has stabilized. We're expecting the category to grow globally in the mid single digits. Importantly, Levi's is growing share, so in the US we're going share with men's and women's, with youth, with the middle income consumer, which is a great bell weather to the health of the consumer. And you know, as we think about our business kind of driving that optimism, I'd first say it's our direct to consumer that business up now for eight consecutive quarters, up eight percent. And also what's driving that is what's happening in Denham, Like Levi's is having a moment, Denim's having a moment. Head to toe denim dressing. We're leading in trends. So as we think about our men's and women's business, loose fits, baggy fits up forty percent, our tops are exceeding expectations, dresses skirts, denim skirts are triple digits.
Speaker 4: So really, when you look underneath the.
Speaker 9: Hood, there is a lot of great things to be excited about. Hence why we raised expectations for the year.
Speaker 2: And there's a lot to be said for the plans that you've put in place. Now, you say that you had nothing to do with Beyonce's naming of a song, but actually Levi's did back in the day because they were one of the only key brands that would affiliate themselves with Destiny's child, and so ultimately she comes from this place of authenticity.
Speaker 4: You come from a place of leveraging it.
Speaker 2: From an influencer perspective, we see how you read brand the Instagram handle for the day to be a double eye. What do you therefore do with the director consumer sort of online element of this because I now buy my Levi's via Amazon. How much have you been we're a tech show. How much has technology been where it's.
Speaker 4: At for you?
Speaker 9: No, I think that's great. I mean testaments who are really talented marketing and social media time team women. When that happened, instantly they got after it and to your point, leveraged that branding and social media. And we've had over a billion impressions since they.
Speaker 4: Got after that that day.
Speaker 9: Just to give you a sense, but peeing direct to consumer is really omnichannel. If you think about our e commerce business that was up with double digits on top of double digits, I mean that.
Speaker 4: Business is on fire.
Speaker 9: But it's all connected. And as we connect with our consumer online and our stores, all ships raise and you made a commona Amazon.
Speaker 4: We want people to.
Speaker 9: Buy Levi's wherever they want to. I mean, we love it when they're engaging in the store because they can see the full expression, right, they can see all.
Speaker 4: The new fits.
Speaker 9: Our talented stylists can help them find their next favorite pair of jeans or the next great top that goes with it. But you know, as many.
Speaker 4: Stores you will.
Speaker 9: We have three thousand stores now globally, a thousand which are company owned and operated, and we're intending to build a lot more one hundred Net News stores this year. One of which, by the way, is that we're relocating at the Champs des Age just in time for the Olympics. It's going to be a beautiful store this summer before the Olympics. And so we'll have those flagships stores, but lots of store that are coming into neighborhoods. But we're not going to be everywhere, so people can buy their their Levi's wherever they like to shop.
Speaker 3: Okay, so really quick, yes or no? Not answer if you won't give me a number. Did Beyonce result in an uptick of sales this week?
Speaker 9: I'm not going to give you a number.
Speaker 5: Kay, let me off.
Speaker 9: But Lego I just said, being in the center of culture is a privilege and we lean into it.
Speaker 5: Let me ask you this really quickly.
Speaker 3: You've talked about Paris, our city, San Francisco, is still facing location issues where people are shutting stores. Would you ever contemplate that in San Francisco?
Speaker 9: We well, first of all, our headquarters in San Francisco.
Speaker 4: We are here to stay.
Speaker 9: We've renewed our lease in our headquarters. We are deeply committed to San Francisco. We have a beautiful flagship store on Market Street and they're doing great, So we are we are committed to San Francisco and being part of the solution to bring back the vibrancy to this amazing city.
Speaker 2: It is so good to have you here talking with San Francisco, but in the house in New York, both of you flying back later today. It's a joy to have leave CEO Michelle Gas at this moment where well, Levi's on trend. Let's just talk about what else is top of mind for many of you who are about to fly out.
Speaker 4: Some updates on the earthquake here in the East Coast.
Speaker 2: JFK Airport posting on x that the airport does remain open and operational again. Preliminary reports say that a four point eight magnitude traumer rattle northern New Jersey, with Manhattan, Long Island Hudson Valley also feeling the impact.
Speaker 4: We're going to continue to monitor the headlines for you, bring you the latest.
Speaker 2: Most importantly for ED, because I know you're about to board a plane.
Speaker 3: I'm going to post on X. Responding to someone else who had posted the Reuters headline, Musk says Reuters is lying again in brackets. Reuters had reported that Tesla was scrapping plans for a twenty five thousand dollars or low cost EV in favor of favoring robotaxis Elon Musk taking to his own social platform X to say that they are lying.
Speaker 2: We will keep you up to date with all the goings on with Tesla. Now, let's get you all the goings on. When it comes to artificial intelligence and out in cloud, Flare is letting more developers bring their own AI applications from hugging Face onto its platform now. The company made the announcement this week, and it's also making its fervolous GPU powered inference known as workers AI, generally available. Let's bring in cloud Flair CEO Matthew Prints, So I'm so police can always make these things far more simple than some of the jug and that we have to say, and I'm more interested. Ultimately, there has been this desire by all companies to leverage the power of generative artificial intelligence, and what we keep having to talk about is not only how you integrate that within your workflow, but also how expensive it can be.
Speaker 4: You're trying to make.
Speaker 2: It less expensive, make it more easy to adopt, to build your own AI apps.
Speaker 5: Right, That's exactly right.
Speaker 10: There is not one AI solution for every company. We don't think it's one size all, and so we're excited to be partnering with hugging Face, which is effectively the marketplace for the latest AI models, and we've made it incredibly simple for a vast majority of the hugging Face models that are on that marketplace. Anyone who can bring anything to that marketplace, who with one click deploy those models across the cloud Flair network and get the best performance from those models, but also the best costs. How can you actually get the value of AI without blowing.
Speaker 4: Your budget your connectivity cloud company?
Speaker 2: What's brilliant about The perspective you have is a birds eye perspective. You can see where trends are actually meeting reality. And there is so much hype that we talk about on this program day in day out, Matthew, how real is that? How ye how much you actually see companies embrace jenerit to AI and make real differences.
Speaker 10: I think that you know the generator AI story, you know, pick your sports metaphor, but it is in its earliest innings and there's something real here. But I think it's going to take a while for us to take what are really great demos and turn them into really great products. So I think I think that the hype, the excitement is justified. But I also think that we're going to be in a period of time where companies are going to have to experiment. They're going to have to try different things, They're going to have to try different models, they're going to have to try things that make sense for them, and so it's critical to be able to bring the right AI that your company needs and do it in the most cost effective way. And that's what we're here to deliver at cloud Flair with our workers AI platform.
Speaker 3: What we're talking about is an AI supply chain. Yesterday, open Ais COO Brad Lightcap joined us on the show, and this is what he said about that AI supply chain.
Speaker 11: The supply chain will need to adapt to what we think is going to be this highly inflected and nearly exponential demand in the next ten years, and so we spend a lot of time thinking about ways that we can make sure that that demand is met. Part of it is just being able to bring our models to bear, but upstream of that is obviously making sure that the actual underlying hardware and infrastructure exists to be able to build the systems that we need to ultimately serve that demand.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing, Matthew, are you convinced that your potential customer base has even worked out in what form their demand is what they actually plan to do with generatord AI.
Speaker 10: I don't think that they've figured exactly out. I think everybody in the business world today is at least experimenting in this space. If you're not experimenting the space, you're really risk running behind. But we want to make sure that those experiments are as cost effective as possible. We don't want people to just be lighting money on fire when they're running AI experiments, and so we want to make sure that they have the models that make the most sense for their business, they're able to deploy them in the way which is the most cost effective for their business, and they get the local requirements that cloud Flares network gives. We've been able to deploy our GPU inference powered machines today in more than one hundred and fifty cities worldwide, making us the most widely distributed AI inference platform that's out there, and that's really powerful as we serve our customers all around the world who want to be able to do inference locally. Why hugging face how you think this is the de facto model for the de facto marketplace for where you distribute different AI models. If you want to experiment with various AI models, they're the place to go. It's sort of the gethub for AI today. And so they've been that place where developers are uploading those models, making it as easy as possible for anybody to be able to distribute the incredible work that they're building with these AI tools, and that partnered with cloud Flare's network, that makes now deploying that in those models and using them to solve real business challenges anywhere in the world. That's an incredibly powerful combination and that's something that we're excited to be doing with them, and I think there's a lot more that we can do together.
Speaker 2: What's interesting about the time of AI is some of the anxiety that is given to the workplace to whether they'll lose their roles. Now, Matthew, I want to dovetail into that something that you've experienced recently and actually tackled head on in a very transparent manner. People having to be laid off in the tech sector. Now, one of your employees, as a twenty seven year old, was laid off.
Speaker 4: And videoed how that occurred.
Speaker 2: It went viral and there was pushback as to the way in which people are being let go in the tech sector. You actually took to Twitter now x saying the video was painful for me to watch. Managers should always be involved. HR should be involved, but it shouldn't be outsourced to them. How have you seen response to your own response? How are you thinking about your own employee base that through more than three thousand that you have with them at the moment.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, I think across the entire industry. COVID was this really strange period of time where I think, for very reasonable and human reasons, a lot of companies just stopped firing people even if they didn't perform at their job. And so I don't want to talk about the specifics of any individual employee. That's not fair to them, but I will say that we think it's really important that we have a culture of performance, that we have a culture of where people who do well are rewarded for that, and people who aren't we get off the team. That doesn't mean that they're bad people. They might be great employees or else, but they may just not be the right fit for us. And what I'm encouraged by is that, you know, last year, we had over one point two million people apply to work for cloud Flip for about a thousand jobs that we hired for. We're way ahead of that trend through Q one of this year with a record number of applicants. We've never seen as many applicants, and so they're incredibly talented people who want to come work hard and deliver on the mission of helping build a better Internet, including delivering things like our partnership with Hugging Face and the AI platform workers AI.
Speaker 3: Okay, Cloud Fair CEO Matthew Prince. I appreciate the candor on the question that Caroline asked because on social media that.
Speaker 5: Was widely shared.
Speaker 3: But also you're doing something that I think we learned a lot about yesterday at Bloomberg Intelligence is AI Summit partnerships to add a new layer of AI access on top of cloud infrastructure.
Speaker 5: That seems to be thing. Matthew Frintz, thank you so much. Okay.
Speaker 3: US and EU officials were in Louven, Belgium for the final Trade and Technology Council ministerial meet before elections on both sides of the Atlantic. The Council, which is responsible for coordinating US and European tech regulation efforts, is working to set AI standards and to figure out how the two blocks can collaborate. Here's European Commission Executive Vice President Margaret ta BESTDAYA.
Speaker 12: When it comes to AI, we have had an agreed approach from the very first day, and I think that the likelihood that that would produce artificial intelligence that you can trust is so much bigger because artificial intelligence hold immense promise if the negative sides can be controlled.
Speaker 2: Yes, and Meanwhile, the two sides also announced a new dialogue between the USAI Safety Institute and the EU's AI Office that will explore tools and methods for evaluating technologies. Now here's the US Secretary of Commerce, Gina Romando.
Speaker 13: AI is changing the game again for everything and and AI collaboration between Theater Office and our Safety Institute is strong, will get stronger, all led by the TTC.
Speaker 3: There gonna be some more changes at Twilio. Spurred by pressure from activist investors, a software company is asking shareholders to change its board director terms to one year, down from three, beginning in twenty twenty five. The company also announced that Byron Dieter, directors since twenty ten, will not seek reelection at its upcoming annual investor meeting, and the board is going to be reduced to nine members from ten upon the end of his term. There's one man to talk to Bloomberg's Brody Ford. I actually kind of don't get this. Is this Twilio playing defense because there's a lingering threat, Like what's going on?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean what this is is Twilios seeking to avoid what happened with this, you know, a big public dispute with activists investors where they're airing dirty laundry and you have to go on Twitter and take out ads to say, hey, vote for us, all vote for the activist investors. What we're seeing here is a classic tale where a high growth software company hit a wall, right, They had their growth plummet all of a sudden, they had to do layoffs. Their future seemed uncertain. What happens activists investors show up, right. They have been agitating for changes for a couple of months now, and we've seen Twilio make a number of changes over the last couple of months to keep these activists investors happy and to prevent getting themselves into some kind of public proxy battle, which very few people are willing to take on.
Speaker 4: Proxy battles.
Speaker 2: Is where it's at in the news flow right now at the moment, Brody and I'm interested like this, of course, comes after Jeff Lawson himself CEO, had.
Speaker 4: To stand down amid all of this.
Speaker 2: Is there now a viewpoint that ultimately the fundamentals of the business will be changing and oft and swiftly enough.
Speaker 14: Well, that's a great question, because we've seen some changes here. As you mentioned, the well known founder CEO step down. They've changed some of the board terms. And when board terms are changed in this way where you can vote somebody out each given year, what that means is, hey, improve your business fundamentals, or we're coming back next year and we can vote your slate of candidates out very easily.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 14: We saw a statement yesterday from one of the activist investors saying we will continue to put pressure on this business. And keep in mind, these activists were hoping that Blia would sell itself, they were hoping that it would divest things. I think they were hoping for more draftic changes than we saw. So you know the odds that we see some red headlines coming out about Twilio further, very.
Speaker 2: Possible, pretty forward, Always a joy, Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Indeed. Meanwhile, Wow, thick and fast from the headline front.
Speaker 5: D Yeah, incredible, Friday.
Speaker 3: That does it for this addition of room bow technology, You're going to have to recap the whole episode to understand what happened on the pod.
Speaker 5: What a week here with you in Ny. This is Bloomberg