Speaker 1: And now Move the Sticks with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks.
Speaker 2: What's up, everybody.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Move the Sticks DJ here as we bring you a best of episode today. We have had a chance throughout the calendar year to talk to some of the top college coaches in the country and wanted to give you a little flavor of each of those conversations in case you missed it. So the guys, you're going to be hearing from our Boise State head coach Spencer Danielson, playoff team, Indiana head coach Kurt Signetty. What a year for the Hoosiers as they were in the playoffs, Miami head coach Mario Christobal, big year there for the Hurricanes and the acc And just recently had a chance to visit with the new head coach of my alma mater at Appalachian State, that is Dwa Loggins, which is a fascinating conversation about the landscape of college football and where it's headed. So hope you guys enjoy this one. Let's start first of all with our conversation with Boise State head coach Spencer Danielson. Bucky and Rhet had a chance to visit with him in November, and I think you'll enjoy this conversation.
Speaker 4: Oh you're talking about learning and growing.
Speaker 5: You go from being the interim head coach to being the head coach. How much of a whirlwind has it been for you to deal with that promotion while putting your own stamp on the team and continuing what has been a really good tradition at Boise State.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's I mean, guys, it's the grace of God. And I got a lot of really good mentors that I consistently picked their brain on when I got the interim head coaching job. You know, Coach Peterson's a huge mentor of mine and multiple others others that I mean, I'm I'm not that smart, I'm not that cool, and I tell people that like, this is not this is that I've done. I'm a product of having a lot of really good people around me. And so even when I got the interim job, to even weekly I'm talk with head coaches because I tell our players like, I'm relentless to make sure I grow every single day to be the best version of myself because that's what our players deserve. And so it's it's constantly learning and growing for myself to help lead these young men in all facets and developing in life.
Speaker 7: I mean, that's something that.
Speaker 6: I'm very open about with our team is you know, we build champions here first.
Speaker 7: I believe that. Then a byproduct of that is winning championships.
Speaker 6: But I feel cold to make sure and these young men are done here that they're gonna be better husbands and fathers and even some of our best players. Seeing how they lead, seeing who they are in the community, who they are as men of character. That's what really brings me so much fulfillment on a daily basis.
Speaker 7: And I'm just so blessed to be around man coach.
Speaker 8: That's such a powerful message, and it's one of development, right, It's one of development and growth.
Speaker 2: But there's so much in.
Speaker 8: College football these days that speaks to the opposite, right, that speaks to got to have it right now, whether that's from the team side, whether that's from the fans.
Speaker 2: Side or the player side.
Speaker 8: How do you kind of bring all of that together and try to maintain a developmental type of program with young men and with players in the changing landscape that we're sitting in here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely great, Quo us and you know, we talk a lot of Boise State about being built different, and I make sure people know that doesn't mean built perfect, and that we're doing something that's you know, so much better.
Speaker 7: It's just it's different here.
Speaker 6: And I've been here for this is year number eight at Boise State, and people would call me, you know, this is years ago eve when I'm an assistant, like when, what's what's it about Boise State?
Speaker 7: Is it the blue field?
Speaker 6: And You're like, well, you know, that's a part of it, but there's nothing magical about that. It's the work and what these guys do, and it is a very special place and it is different.
Speaker 7: Like and I tell our staff, like, we don't.
Speaker 6: Need to fit into the mold of what college football right now says that you need to do.
Speaker 7: We're not going to do that.
Speaker 6: Like, we want to be about transformation here, about building champions, not about just the transactions of well, coaches come here just to get another job, or players come here until someone else wants them to leave for more money than they leave, and that stuff happens, and that's not wrong, it's.
Speaker 7: Just the reality of college football, askat.
Speaker 6: But we want to be different here, and I want to find players and coaches that want to be a part of something different and leave a legacy. And that's I mean what Anshenty did last season, That's what an Ahmed Haasain did well. They could have gone anywhere. They want to be different, They want to leave a legacy. They want to be developed not only for the NFL, but for life. And they knew that the quickest way for that not to happen is to lose focus on things that don't directly impact that. They stayed a part of this team and that's why we're in the situation we are now because they know the best place for me to develop and become the best version of myself is right here in Boise, Idaho.
Speaker 5: Coach you mentioned you talked about the running back and his willingness to stay. What makes him such a special player because when I look at the tape, he does remarkable things with the ball in his hands.
Speaker 6: I mean, guys, we could be here all day talk about makes this beat and I mean that because he's He's touched my life, not only my life, just this team.
Speaker 7: Because before I even.
Speaker 6: Talk about the football side of Ashon Genty, I want to make sure people understand the personal side of him, the character off the field. I mean, he's a unanimous captain and at the end of last season, he's the Mountain West Player of the Year. Me his dad, I mean, we had one conversation about him staying and he wanted to be here. It wasn't like this sales pitch and all these different things, like he wanted to be here. He was committed to this place. And since the second January workout started, you know, he was the first one here working his tailoff from then till now. And his teammates see that, and he's all about his teammates. We meet a ton, and every time we meet it's about the team. We're in fall camp this past you know, August, and we had a walk through, you know, later in the day and after our walkthrough, he's waiting for me at the end of practice, and I could see and I could tell that he's a little frustrated, and he's like, coach, I need you to set a player's only meeting because you know, I didn't feel like the urgency in practice was where it needs to be. And so we set a players only meeting and our players, you know, a bunch of our players called me after he said coach, we needed that. Like, Ashton said some things straight, like he's about the team. It's not coach. How many carrieres can I get? You know, what's what's out there in the media about me. It's team, team, team.
Speaker 7: That's how he practiced, that's how he works.
Speaker 6: I had the you know, monster blessing of being able to baptize him at church during fall camp this past season. I mean, that's just a testament to who he is a young man. That's not because I asked him. That's because he just he's a man of high character, loves the Lord, and he's on a mission. He's on a mission and not only be the best version of himself, but to continue to push our team to get to you to learn and grow as well. I mean, he's he's a ten out of ten human being. I meet with tons of scouts and gms about him.
Speaker 9: He's a ten out of ten man.
Speaker 2: That's super cool.
Speaker 8: And then you know, you come up kind of through the defensive side of the ball, right to your position now as the head coach, so you kind of had a unique view of what Ashton was able to do.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 8: Was there a moment because I go back to when I was playing in Indiana and we had a player Ben Jarvis green Ellis who went on and did great things in the NFL a couple of different franchises, And I remember we didn't know anything about this kid right coming in and then all of a sudden, he got like twenty carries in a scrimmage and had like two hundred and fifty yards right, Like, was there a moment for you and for you guys with Ashton where you were like, holy smokes.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I have a great question. I will never forget. I'm the defensive coordinator. Ash is an early en rollie. He's seventeen years old. I mean he's only twenty right now. He's seventeen years old, and I mean, let's not get a twisted Ashton was big and strong as a seventeen year old too.
Speaker 7: So when he walked in, it was like, okay, here we go.
Speaker 6: Get your mind right, defense, and we are in our first spring ball scrimmage in March, and I'll never forget it's fourth and one in a scrimmage and it's our starting defense and ashes out there and he pops this run on like.
Speaker 7: A zero pressure.
Speaker 6: That's like they shouldn't be able to run the ball anywhere, right, He pops this run and goes for eighty And I remember sitting there obviously a little pissed off at first, and then I'm like, boys, we're about to see you know, greatness here here really quick. And it went on to be a nightmare defend because Ash just puts defenses in conflict. And this is what I relate to players, like, you don't know how to attack him, Like do you do you stop your feet? If you do, he's gonna run over you if you come in too high, like he'll cut back and you don't have the you don't know he has the top end speed to take in the distance.
Speaker 7: He can catch the ball to the backfield. He's an elite receiver.
Speaker 6: If you line him up at empty he just he continually puts not only defensive coordinators, but all the eleven players in conflict.
Speaker 8: You know, to to do this in your first year as the full time head coach is certainly special, but there's so much that goes into it. And we love roster construction here on Move the Sticks Coach. We talk about it all the time from the NFL level, but it's so it's almost mirrred now on the college level, and I'm sure you can attest to that. I feel like there's a couple of different ways you can look at this. You know, whether it's transfer portal or whether it's you know, whether it's you know, incoming high school, you know seniors, you have guys that you build connections with, right, you have guys that you think have great potential, or especially with the transfer portal, you have guys that have shown great production. How do you kind of waigh those factors as you try to bring the best guys in and build the best team and Blue there and boising.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely, I mean management obviously, roster's going to one oh five, and there's a lot of different moving parts with it, not only in talent acquisition, but job number one for me is keeping our players. And with the landscape of some of the illegal recruiting or call what it is, I mean that's happening. I'm not gonna sit here and complain that's happening. So job number one for me is keeping our talent. And then it's making sure we continually find players that are built different and wired the right way. Because I always say this to our staff, Like football starts the conversation how tall is the ol, fast is he? What's his skill set for each position? But after that, what makes him different? That's my quote, what makes him different? Coach, He's a captain, he doesn't come for much.
Speaker 7: He's the first one the building. Like that makes him different.
Speaker 6: Like, those are the guys that are special here, Like there's got to be some outlying trait that makes them different that then takes that skill set and puts them.
Speaker 7: In a whole different category.
Speaker 6: We are primarily a high school recruiting organization, and I'm open with our staff like we are a developmental program. I want to find freshmen and develop them. Yes, we look at the portal. Yes we recruit junior college. We need to find the best available to help our team. But we start first and foremost recruiting the high school young man because we want to make sure we bring them in in four or five years whatever it takes, can grow and develop them to be the best version themself. If you look at our team, you know ninety five percent of our best players came here as high school players and they developed grew. I mean, going to the season, I think ninety percent of all our starters returning were freshmen that came or not freshman now, but came as freshmen. And because we're a developmental program, you find the guys that are wired the right way, that love football, that love being a part of the team. And then the other part of it now is I want to know more and more about what is the structure of this young man's life, Like who is the champion?
Speaker 7: Is it mom?
Speaker 4: Is it dad?
Speaker 10: Is a coach?
Speaker 7: Is it on tea?
Speaker 6: Because not only are we going to need their support to help grow and develop them, they're going to be the ones that help us keep them focused when they are successful and everybody tries and get them to leave. And so it's a there's a lot of moving parts to it. Number one, keeping our talent here in Boise and focused on that developing to be the best version of themselves, venice, recruiting the best high school kill the kids that are built different. And then from there we look each each year to ck what are the transfer portal or junior college needs and is there a fits And that's right, like, we can't let's not fit a square pegging a round hole. Guys, Like we got to find the guys a fit. If they don't then and we got to play a true freshon We'll play a true fresher in eighty other week and if it we'll take our lumps with him because we know he's gonna be wired and he's going to grow, and so it's something that you're constantly working through and evaluating.
Speaker 3: Next up, we always love staying in touch with the coaches at our alma Maters and Rhett had the bragging rights this year on the pod his Indiana Hoosiers. What a year that they had, led by Kurt Signetti, someone who's got a lot of headlines and a lot of attention for being brashed for being bold, but more than anything else, for winning something that they had not done at Indiana. They finished eleven and two, eight and one in the Big Ten. Did the suffer that tough loss against Notre Dame in the first round of the College Football Playoffs, But what a year for Signetti and the Hoosiers. Bucky and Rhett had a chance to visit with him in November.
Speaker 8: The biggest thing that has struck me about your team is the team. Yeah, this to me is one of the most complete and complementary football minded teams that I have watched this year in all of college football. How do you cultivate that on a day to day basis, and especially going into the season knowing that you had so many new faces all coming together for one purpose.
Speaker 11: Well, to me, that's the key to the drill is getting everybody to think alike.
Speaker 10: And it all starts with people.
Speaker 11: You got to have the right people in place, the right people on the bus and you know they so and starts with your staff and players too, and then the messaging has to be such that has to be concise, clear and consistent. And we're processed driven. And we've got enough older guys on this football team that have played successful football in their college career, a lot of them at other places that were two three year starters, that have good character and team oriented guys have a little bit of a chip on their shoulder. Quite frankly, a lot of guys on this team have something to prove. And you know, and while you know they want to get their catches and their touches and all that good stuff TfL secks, you know that it's a tight team. We've got a lot of good leadership on this team, and there's no agendas. Everybody is focused on the same thing, and that's my job to make sure they are, you know, And that, to me, that's the weekly challenge you the intangibles you develop on your football team once you know the season begins, because the margin frayer is very slim, you.
Speaker 10: Know, coach.
Speaker 5: So often we hear coaches talking about a being process oriented, but for the novice, the amateur who don't doesn't really understand what that means. What does it mean when you say your process orient as opposed to being results driven?
Speaker 11: Yeah, okay, Well, you know, you got to have a blueprint and a plan, and you work your plan daily and the key to the drills, do improve every single day.
Speaker 10: And if you're doing that and you're preparing the.
Speaker 11: Right way, you know, there should be no self imposed limitations on what you can accomplish. But you've got to have high standards and expectations and accountability. You can never lower your standards because how you do something's how you do everything.
Speaker 10: So obviously you got.
Speaker 11: To have a plan for how you train in the off season, how you practice in game, strategy, you know, et cetera. But you know, we talk more about the things you have to do right now to be as good as you can be, and really never talk about the end result. We don't talk about championships. We really don't talk about winning the game. Every you know, all there is is to hearing out. Be where your feet are. Eliminate the noise, eliminate the clutter, have great focus, positive energy, get every bit.
Speaker 10: Out of the meeting that you keep, and.
Speaker 11: You know, execute as well as you can every practice because good days stack on top of good days. Really, tomorrow and Saturday are kind of a concept, and we play the game that way too. Only you know, want play the time six seconds of player. Every play's got a life in the history of its own nothing, nothing not affected by success, not affected by failure, fast, physical, relentless, smart discipline, poise on to the next play and from the first to the last, and there's going to be a high standard. And that standard doesn't deviate to the circumstances of the game. Meaning if you're up four touchdowns in the fourth quarter, you don't lower your standards just because you're up four touchdowns.
Speaker 10: Right, So that's why you see a lot of guys like me, you.
Speaker 11: Know, kind of limittates on the sideline and the fourth court leans because the standard is the standard, and great competitors really are never satisfied, right, You can't be satisfied in this business. You guys know that you play and if you're not striving, then you're not getting better because yeah, somebody else is and he's catching you. And that's just the nature of the business.
Speaker 8: And look, Coach, I think there's been, you know, plenty of times during games where broadcasts have pointed out the fact that you know, your face stays pret you know, even keeled throughout. And but you know what, it's not just us and the viewers that are seeing that's your players that are seeing that too. It's likely, you know, Coach doesn't think the game's over here just because we scored a touchdown, Like your face tells the story of every day, every play, continuing to meet that standard. So I think all that, all that goes into what we're talking about and building one cohesive team. But building a team is something we talk about a lot here on Move the Sticks podcast, Roster construction, developing the right people, the right players that you're talking about there. Obviously a transfer portal has played a big role in the construction of this team. How do you view that from a sustainability standpoint, because everybody can talk about still wanting to build through high school and we get how important that is.
Speaker 9: But I'm curious as to how you view the.
Speaker 8: Transfer portal in your ultimate plan for the future of this program.
Speaker 11: Right, Well, we had to go heavy portal just to be able to line up and play our games because my first Dawn Rob we had ten offensive starters and a transfer portal and half the defense.
Speaker 10: I didn't know that when I took this job.
Speaker 4: It was a very quick process.
Speaker 11: So like I think our roster was down to forty thirty eight or forty scholarship guys at one point, but you know, we brought twenty two guys in in three weeks. They were all two three year starters at the schools that they had been at and had consistent production year in, year out, which tells me a lot about a guy. That's a guy that can stay on the practice field. He can handle success, failure, he can overcome adversity obstacles. You know, he's got some perseverance and some grid about him. And so to me, production means a lot and it's a reflection of character.
Speaker 10: Consistent production. So in answer to your question, you know.
Speaker 11: I'll probably have to go fairly heavy again here in a couple of weeks, just because we have so many seniors on our team. All those guys we brought in over one or two year guys. I think every year, regardless, you're going to sign fifteen to twenty high school guys. That's the foundation of the house, and hopefully you can retain the guys that turn out.
Speaker 10: To be really good players.
Speaker 11: You're always going to have some needs here and there in the portal, like a you know at JMU where we were rolling. I mean we won five championships in five years, you know, two to four a year. We were taking maybe a few more, but so out of necessity last year, probably necessity this year as well. And now we just got to back up last year's class with not a good class. But eventually you wean yourself down numbers wise. Yeah, and so you know, but to be honest with you, in this business anymore, you can't think two, three, four years now. I mean, this isn't like the old days where they'd hire a coach and give him six years and by year four or five, you know, he wanted to have a good football team back in the seventies, eighties, nineties. You know, people want it now. Man, this is social media age, you know. Yeah, that's right, and then once you start getting it to them, it's got to look pretty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, that's right, you know.
Speaker 10: Coach.
Speaker 5: One thing that struck me is when you took the job, your confidence and knowing that you would be able to turn this around it fairly quickly. I know you'd have some other jobs, you have success at James Madison, those things. Well, why were you so confident that your playing your process will work at Indiana in the Big Ten?
Speaker 11: Well, I had a lot of confidence in myself because of how much Wind won, and I had some turnaround jobs that we turned around real quickly. And it was year fourteen and year forty two as a coach, and you know, grew up coach's son and been around some great people and learned a lot from Coach Saban obviously, so I felt like.
Speaker 10: I knew it I was doing.
Speaker 11: And then you know, I got I went out on a limb here early on with some statements publicly, and it was more so because of what I felt the first down job here sort of a hopelessness and despair around the program. People had sort of given up on it, and people outside the program sort of looked down on us. And it was like two worlds clashing clashing. You know, my world, which is used to winning all the time, and their world. I wasn't going to lower my expectations, so I had to create some excitement and set an expectation level. I really felt good about what we got done those first three weeks with those twenty two transfers. That's signing date December twenty first, whenever it was, and I knew.
Speaker 10: The schedule and what did we have to sell?
Speaker 11: Okay, here's what we had to sell, Like if you're a quarterback or last four quarterback's been player of a year of the league in offense, you know, and the previous two were one year G five transfers, just like we have now with Curtis work. You know, we had two thousand yards receives in the same season two the last three years defensively weren't a top five. Every year gets to run TFLs and sacks. And we had won. This staff had won, and most of the staff had come with me. And then the schedule, I mean, the schedule was what it was, and I'd go down that schedule with each one of these guys because, look, they want to come in here to play and contribute, they want to start right, but they want to win too, And so this division of what could happen. And quite frankly, I've had big one year turnarounds there every job I took, you know, because I got this magic wand in my back pocket.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and I thought I thought.
Speaker 11: That confidence I needed to portray that in this particular situation at this place a little more outwardly than in the other places.
Speaker 5: Quicky coach, because you talked about the transfer portal and mixing high school players in those things, and you talked about it being a year leader existence. When it comes to team building, how QUI can you get a team up to speed in terms of there's so many individual agendas? How do you get your players to put that to decide to really focus on the team first and everything else?
Speaker 4: That played well.
Speaker 11: I think what really helped us in this particular situation is we brought thirteen guys from JMU, thirteen guys from a championship culture that were really tight with one another, knew how the program was one run. I'm sorry and had a little bit of a chip on their shoulder. And the other guys we brought in had high character too, and the ones who stayed were the right kind of guys. So that culture really started in January with the off season program the JM. You guys facilitated it. But bottom line is this, you still have to get the results on the field. Yeah, Like you win the first one, that builds some belief and confidence. You win the second you go out to UCLA and win. Now, all of a sudden, you see a lot of things starting to come together. And this team's just built on every success. And you know, we played fairly consistently. It's not perfect every game. We've got some improvements to make corrections, but we've been fairly steady.
Speaker 10: But winning helps everything.
Speaker 3: Love those conversations, those first two interviews. Hope you guys enjoyed them. We've got a couple more coming your way right after this. All right, Next up, speaking of Alma Matersnbill, our producer. He's a Miami Hurricane. That is not the reason why we wanted this next head coach on. It was because of the success he's had throughout his career as a position coach as someone who's known as one of the best offensive line coaches for a long period of time, then distinguished himself as a head coach throughout a couple stops, including a very successful stint at Oregon, before returning to his alma mater, Miami to take over a Hurricane program that he led to a ten and two record this year, including six and two in the ACC. You'll see them play against Iowa State and the Pop Charts Bowl that's going to be on Saturday. Bucky myself, we both had a chance to sit down and chat with Mario Christobal back in October.
Speaker 5: You know, Coach, you played in the Miami doing the Heyday and bringing it back. Your guys come to Miami to play in these kinds of games, right, They come to play in big games. How do you sell that when you're recruiting players about Look, you come to Miami to play in the biggest games, to be on the biggest and brightest stages.
Speaker 1: I think the first thing we had to do was just get right to work and start putting together a roster and a coaching staff and infrastructure that screams Miami. And when I say that, I'm talking about the standard that we all know Miami was and should always be. So I think we've done a lot of work and we've made a lot of progress, and that kind of sells itself. But we have a lot of alumni in the building, a lot of guys that actually bled it orange and green all day every day, and so it's more of just telling the story than actually selling because of is strong and you know how that is.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: You can tell you when someone's bs and when someone's being honest and genuine, and.
Speaker 4: You can feel it and see it.
Speaker 1: When our people talk about the University of Miami and then you guys have been down there a few times, it kind of starts a little bit too, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not bad. It's not a bad environment down there.
Speaker 3: Coach, you talk about the roster building, I want to get to that, because, yeah, I want to talk about the offense line.
Speaker 2: Specifically, which has been your baby.
Speaker 3: It's been your calling card everywhere you've been at your background and you've always had good offensive lines. How much of it is the acquiring of the players versus then developing the players once you get them on campus.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's that's a great question, man, It's it's both you know, and and our offensive line coach, coach Alex Mirrabald does not get enough credit. That guy is the elite of the elite. We actually went to high school together, played on the same offensive line to watch tape and say, man, if we ever get our chance to be coaches, we're going to build o line.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It is the fact, I mean the bigs, you know, the bigs take longer develop. So if you have to, if you have to restart a program, rebuild a program, you better go in all in on the bigs early, right away and get more hits than not because typically are gonna take two and three years to develop. You might hit on one or two Pina schools, you know, just my noise. You might hit on those guys, but the other ones are going to take some time because we haven't really done much of the portal in terms of the old line one or two you know, here and there. But yeah, we're all in on the trenches on both sides because then that becomes an iron sharpened, iron type of arena out there every single day.
Speaker 4: And and you know what, when Miami was.
Speaker 1: Really good despite all the fame and fortune that goes to the wide receivers and skill guys.
Speaker 4: We always had great trenches.
Speaker 1: Man, the guys up front were always just elite and made it, you know, impossible for other teams to beat us.
Speaker 5: You know, coach, I'm so curious about like the approach in this area. You hear some coaches complain about like nil and the transfer portal and the transient nature football, But you've always struck me.
Speaker 4: As an old school coach.
Speaker 5: How does old school work with new school players?
Speaker 1: It just works, you know. I think it's if old school and I think of old school, I think I like the right stuff. I think I'm a high school coach who is the best mentor and teacher I ever had. I mean, the guy looks and acts like Sunsey Crease from and the principles and values of that man are identical to Jimmy Johnson and Nick Saban, guys that I worked for and played for.
Speaker 4: And so I don't think that ever changes.
Speaker 1: And I don't think any one of us would want our own son to go to a program that caters to you know, having a you know, guys doing things and having a disregard for doing things the right way. So old school is hard, intense and passionate coaching, but it's about the right things. It's not just to make noise and whatnot. So I think it works awesome. I think it's still the best approach. And so that you're don't find yourself in a hostage situation, a hostage crisis. You recruit your tail off to make sure that if a guy's kind of going sideways on it, that you invest a lot in have another one ready to come in. That's better, right, so that you are never compromising the culture. And so the whole organization sees that, hey, no matter the talent level, no matter what the situation is, we're going to do things a certain way as it relates to the entire team.
Speaker 4: And that is really.
Speaker 1: As spoken and has held strong in our organization.
Speaker 2: Coach.
Speaker 3: When you look at the teams and you mentioned Nick Saban and being a part of that organization, there the teams that have had this long sustained success that have been you know, college football playoff contenders every single year. I go back to conversation I had with Stacy Sterles at Georgia when he I asked him before they played TCU in the championship game. I said, coach, I was practiced this week. He said O Tuesday was a bloodbath. He said, it was ones versus ones, and that's that's how they do it. And you've you've experienced that and built it the same way. How much good on good can you afford to do?
Speaker 4: Guys?
Speaker 3: You don't want to lose guys. You want guys to go down. But man, you talk about iron Sharpen's iron. When you get those heavyweights going against each other in practice.
Speaker 4: It's every day.
Speaker 1: You have to do it every day, and you might have to limit a guy here and there. But if you don't build a callus football team, you're no good in November. I'm just you know, if you start catering and if you start getting the mentality, oh let's just get them to the game, what are you actually getting to the game someone that maybe couldn't fight through the bumps and bruises that come with football. Now, if a guy's truly injured, you have to I mean, you do the right thing. But the pains and the riggers and the demands of football, the things that come with it, you've got to it's your responsibility. If you want guys to play in the NFL, they've got to understand and realize, brother, when you're at that next level. I mean, you see guys playing with torn biceps, right, I mean the nature of the shoulder, the knee, some of the things that come with it. So it's our due an obligation to protect them but also push some of the things that are again healthy. You don't get risk. I know that answers a question, but no, good on good you got to do it, man. Yeah, the amount of juice that it brings to practice, the way guys get better.
Speaker 4: You just you know, you say, hey, man, don't don't die for a ball. Man.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a little bit out of hand, and sometimes like the w W it's like, you know, macho man, and then studying. I don't think you could have it any other way. And I think all the guys that you mentioned they always had enough.
Speaker 5: You know, Coach, you've been fortunate to be around really good quarterbacks, like franchise quarterback up in Oregon and justin Herbert you have a really good winning cam ward before we talk about them specifically, for you, when you're recruiting, what are some of the traits that you look for in an elite or a franchise quarterback at your level.
Speaker 4: He's got to have the mindset of an elite linebacker.
Speaker 1: He's got to be a real tough, smart, diligent alpha.
Speaker 4: Is what we're looking for. I mean that the best you know cam Ward is is he's one of a kind.
Speaker 1: He really isn't You watch his ability and some of the things that he does as talent level is it's just unique.
Speaker 4: But people don't get to see this guy behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: And when they do, when they get a chance to actually feel it and see it, they're going to see that this guy is truly one.
Speaker 4: Of a kind with all the intangibles as well.
Speaker 1: This guy man, he demands it of himself, but there's no flinch and no hesitation when he's got a demand it from his teammates. And it started early the moment he got to campus. He didn't wait long, but he proved it with his performance in practice.
Speaker 4: So we look for that.
Speaker 1: Obviously all the other stuff everybody else looks for, But the guy's got to be a dog man. I mean, I don't think you could treat that guy like a China doll, like Bill Bellich, you know, Coach Belichick, excuse me speak about all the time you don't. There's no what do they call that called the golden what he called it a China doll. He didn't have any.
Speaker 2: There's no golden spoon there either.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Coach, when when we were trying to get guys, we're talking to players go to the draft.
Speaker 4: No sacred cous he said, no.
Speaker 2: No sacred cous there sacred counts there we go.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's it, Yeah, it came. It came to you.
Speaker 3: The one of the last things I want to hit you on coaches when you when you look at teams and how they're built, and you think about the you know, the guys that love football, and we talk about that in the draft every year we're looking at guys. We're trying to do our homework and going back to our scouting days when you're going on visits and you're talking with everybody in the building, and it's a challenge for us at the NFL level to find out how these guys are wired and how much they are passionate about it. How the heck are you guys able to figure that out with a high school kid.
Speaker 1: It's in the words of my O line coach, here are key who actually visiting this week and we flew them in complete maniac. You said, all recruiting the most imperfect science in the world. And I think as coaches when we're on the road, we fail to seek out trusted resources, coaches, people in the community that have been around some of these players and savement knee high and can tell you everything about them. Because this is when the streets talk certain parts of history. They can give you the four one one on just about everybody, and you better listen to them because they really do know. And then that grants the opportunity to expand your you know, your research and some of the recon you do on guys. But whether that part of it, I mean, it's you've got to dig deep and it has become like the biggest hit or misfactor as it relates to the guys that you signed, as it relates to recruiting, you've got to find the guy that's knocking out the park on intangibles because it's getting harder and more competitive.
Speaker 4: There's money involved. Now there's there's it's not.
Speaker 1: Even third parties, it's third, fourth, and fifth parties that evolved and so you better have someone that either has a great you know circle of people and support system and that is really locked in and wired the right way.
Speaker 3: Right great here from Coach Crystoball, you can tell just a very smart, very planned, very organized, very disciplined man at the helm there for Miami. This next one is a fun one for me because it's the man who's going to take over my alma mater at Appalachian State. Dal Loggins comes with a long career in the NFL on the coaching side before making the transition to college, both at Arkansas, his alma mater, as well as a very successful two year run as the officeive coordinator at South Carolina where they really got things rolling this past year that led to the opportunity for him to be named the new head coach at app State. Bucky and I had a chance to visit with him very recently. Coach, how are we doing doing great?
Speaker 9: Wonderful to be sitting this office right now, and so much respect for the people that have come before me like you that every day I walk down the all and I see your face on the wall. So unbelievable opportunity. I'm so excited to be on with you guys.
Speaker 10: Today.
Speaker 3: We're going to get We're gonna get through the whole background and what's got you to this point. But I do have to ask you what was the what was the biggest surprise for you so far since you've been there.
Speaker 10: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 9: So I had an opportunity to meet with all the players, the previous staff, a bunch of donors, a bunch of supporters, But just the biggest surprise is how much pride that the people have in this place and whether the community, the region that it is a place that is loved. There's a very high standard here and the expectation is to win. And you just you walk by and it's all these pictures of rings and conference championships and all these great alumni. It's been You just feel it's really hard to be in a place that they don't understand what winning looks like. It's just it's hard to create it and you can sell a vision. But intrigue me about this place is they know how to win, and winning is really important around here, and they do it the right way.
Speaker 5: You know, coaching and thinking about that, doing it the right way, and really a different frontier that you're stepping into college landscape, Like you hear everyone talk about how crazy it is with the portal and the different timelines and those things. So how challenging has it been to manage all of the portal stuff while also trying to assemble the staff and put together all of the other things that you have to do as a new head coach.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it is a challenge. And I don't know if the calendar is the way it should be, but it is what it is. So right now, this is what we're worried about our own players, keeping them retain the ones we want to retain. You're dealing with in ile, which is NFL free AC with no salary cap. You're trying to assess what's in the portal doesn't make you better. But here's where you can make mistakes. If you don't research a kid, if you don't talk to the trainer of the place he's coming from, you don't talk to the strength coach, if you don't talk to the high school coach, you're not being thorough. So you got to be thorough and go through the process of evaluation to make sure you're doing all those things right. And because you're so limited and everything, it's speed dating on top of trying to figure out is there people on the staff you want to keep or trying to get people at other programs that you want to come be part of your staff. Some people are still playing, some people in a college football playoff. So it's it's a challenging time as a college coach, but it's why we sign up for these opportunities to figure it out, and it's get the calendar is what it is. You'd love to make some edits to it, but you make the most of the situation. And there is definitely a lot going on.
Speaker 3: After a decade plus in the NFL, you go back to Arkansas, get a couple of years coaching there, then a very successful stint as oc there at South Carolina. How beneficial was having that little buffer college experience before you step into this role as a head coach at the collegiate level versus maybe just coming straight from the NFL and jumping right into that gig.
Speaker 9: You know, it was beneficial. There was also between the Jets when they let the head coach go for about a four month, the cup of coffee with coach Franklin Penn State, Okay, And so when we we had an unbelievable general manager at the new York Jets. I learned a ton from Joe Douglas obviously about the evaluation process, and he is a bright evaluator. He is a very talented person, a stud of a human being. Learned a ton from him, so it was fortunate to be around him. And then, you know, we're trying to make the transition into the NFL, and you go to places and you see, you know, the structure between the ownership, the general manager, the head coach, and you know, got really intrigued with college football. And so coach frankl had an opportunity and I wasn't sure. I didn't want to take the job. It's kind of like, hey, I'm still getting paid by the Jets. A couple of NFL opportunities, but I never coached in college. I had an interest in the pageantry, the tradition, the history of college football. So I went to with coach Franklin for about four months. Learned about this guy's created a consistency at a program for a long period of time, and he's really bright and he's a forward thinker. And I watched how he grinded recruiting, and this guy's Freddy Krueger recruiting it's talked about every day. And I mean I remember walking to the staff meetings every morning at seven fifteen and he's asking He's going around the Hey, who what who'd you talk to last night? Who'd you talk to? This is who I talked to? And when the head coach recruits the way he recruits, it's no secret why they've built longevity over a long period of time. And then Sam Pittman calls me. He's the head coach of Arksas and I'm an alum and played there and I've never met him in my life and he's telling me, hey, come come to Arkansas and helped me out. And I said, Coach, I don't want to if if it doesn't work out, I don't if I if I stayed for a year, I don't want to be mad at me. He's like, you're doing your university of favor if you come back. So I was a guys, if y'all need me, I'm gonna I'll come for one year, that's all I'm promising. And so I go to Arkansas and Coach Franklin was great through the process. He's like, hey, look, if you want to do this, you need to go prove you and recruit the SEC.
Speaker 10: We know you can coach.
Speaker 9: You've been a coordinator in the NFL Ford Difmert team, blah blah blah blah. You got to go reprove you recruit in the SEC. So we go to Arkansas as a tight end coach, and for about nine weeks, I think I was the twenty four to seven, like number one recruiter of the year, whatever that means over there, and I'm I had a chip on my shoulder because there are people that, hey, in this guy recruit, He's only coach in the NFL, And I just watched Freddy Krueger for four months recruit and I'm like, hey, we can just outwork people and signed players like we're willing to do more than the next guy. So go there, and it was signed a great class and I liked it. So I stayed a second year at Arkansas and I enjoyed the players, I enjoyed the atmosphere college football. And then the opportunity came to South Carolina and it was a coordinator job, and it took me a little bit of time to make a decision. I was talking to two or three different SEC schools. By the coordinator job, but there was something about South Carolina and Spencer Ratler. They didn't really intrigue me because of Spence. So I go there and Spence has a good year every thing, with third in the conference in passing, and we developed this. I remember I was telling him recruit this today. Probably about this time two years ago. This big six two two hundred and fifteen pound guy walks in my office and I'm like, hey, what's up. And he's like, hey, Paul, I mean maybe I was just transfer. He just balls that and found me. It's an unbelievable country kid. I said, give me till the night. I said, because I think I might see something in you that you don't see yourself. And he gives us till May and I'll watch him. He's the hardest worker on the team. He's out there NonStop competing, bought into everything we asked him. And he'd only had one hundred and seven yards for his career. And his name is exaber L again and he won the first round. But he's this extremely talented kid that bought into everything we asked him to do. And a great story about X were. Uh, We're sitting down draft day and it's the NFL draft first round, and he's he's projected the ever late first, early second. And on draft day he's out on the I'm watching looking at my window and I'm watching him and Leonor Sellers run routes on draft Day, and I just it was who the kid is? He earned everything he got and just had a great time at the South Carolina And the second year, we have a quarterback that no one knows and everyone's picking us to win four games. And when I got there South Carolina, they weren't recruiting him. He was committed to Syracuse. And I watched his tape and Daniel appreciate this about the recruiting process and evaluation process. He'd won everywhere. He'd been great soccer players, scored like twenty nine goals in high school, which great. Yeah, great feet, which obviously there's a comparison to quarterback play. I think boxers people at the boxers because they always have a base. Soccer players great feet move in the pocket. And he had a pedigree of winning, and he'd overcome hard, he'd tore a cl overcame hard things, and he was just this rall raw kid. And I'm likealk In I'm like, hey, why have we not offered this kind of like, well, do you like him?
Speaker 10: I'm like yeah.
Speaker 9: So we go on and we got about ten days to sign him. He's committed to Syracuse. And this kid, he's not asked about nil, he's not asking about recruiting trips. He's asked about protections, can you change protections? What's the passing game look like? How are you going to develop me? What's your year round process for developing quarterbacks? And we get him and no one knows about him. Struggles for about three games this year.
Speaker 10: It was choppy. The first three or four game of season he played.
Speaker 9: Batting its old dominion. But then the last six weeks of season he gets as hot as any quarterback and in the in the conference, in the country. I think he's the best quarterback in the country right now. And just an unbelievable time getting coach little more sellers. I mean, I'm unbelievable. I tell in the interview process, so I don't know if I've told DJ this or not, but they're like, hey, what would hold you off from taking this job? It's a have state, like all the wins and tradition and the brand like there's one thing. I got to call the North Sellers and tell them I'm leaving, oh, and that that was hard. And it's like you talked about, the only thing that you struggle with me have an unbelievable, unbelievable opportunity to sit in a chair like this and represent the people that have come before me at this place. But to make that phone call, but what I would it's a blessing to have him in our lives and text with him twenty minutes ago about the two minute drill practice yesterday, because obviously I can't be there and I'm here working and recruiting, but just so so fortunate to have the people in my life that I've had, the mentors I've had, and so blessed to be right here right now.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go.
Speaker 3: I hope you guys enjoyed this best of a chance to hear some of the comments from some of the top coaches and some of our interesting guys in college football. Speaking of football, want to encourage you to check out the Saturday triple header as the Chargers take on the Patriots at one pm Eastern the Broncos they will take on the Bengals at four thirty PM Eastern followed and finished up with the Cardinals taking on the Rams. That is an eight to fifty team PM Eastern, all on NFL Network this Saturday. Well, I hope you guys all had a wonderful Christmas, a happy holiday, and hope you are enjoying this little break, a little time off to enjoy family as we march towards the new year and some tremendous football on the horizon. We appreciate you, we're thankful for you, and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: Right here on, Move the sticks.