Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Sound on podcast. Catch the program live weekdays at one Eastern on Bloomberg Radio, the Tune in a Half, Bloomberg dot Com, and the Bloomberg Business App. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: The courthouse was busy again today. Not else going on in town, but a buzz around the courthouse for some arguing and an important announcements on the trial date for the January sixth case. This is the one brought by the Special Council Jack Smith. The two first lines in the story on the terminal are everything. Zoe Tillman writes. Donald Trump's trial in Washington set from March fourth, Yes, I said March fourth, on federal charges that he conspired to obstruct the twenty election. That means the trial is set to start the day before Super Tuesday. Fourteen states, including Texas and California, hold their primaries that day. What could go wrong? The date announced by Judge Chutkin after hearing arguments. This basically was like a mini trial that they held in there. But of course there are no cameras in a federal courtroom, so I cannot bring you in there. What I can do is bring you. Sarah Forden from world headquarters in New York, Bloomberg's legal editor is with us. Hey, Sarah, we miss you in the Capitol. I'll say right off the bat, but hey, this trial date March four is not what Donald Trump was looking for. The next movie is going to be, yeah, absolutely, So what options does he have at this point to delay?
Speaker 3: Well, there could be delays, and maybe that's one reason why the judge set the date as early as she did. This is March fourth, as you said, before Super Tuesday. It's also before the March twenty fifth New York Manhattan case and the hush money trial. So there could be some some wiggle room here for her to you know, incorporate delays and requests for delays, but still bring it out. You know, before Trump wanted, which was you know, he wanted to delay it until twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Yes, that would be a little bit extreme in the other direction here, So is this smart analysis somewhere in the middle.
Speaker 3: Could be somewhere in the middle, And there was very interesting back and forth between the prosecutor and the defense attorneys about how much time was needed, and the prosecutor for the DOJ, Molly Gassin, laid out the facts that they have turned over twelve point eight million pages of evidence in this case. But they've also delivered a sort of digital roadmap to the indictment where they have paired key pieces of evidence in the case with key paragraphs in the indictment. So it should be easy for the defense to parse, you know, how the case is being built against Trump.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what did we learn today from this set of arguments? It was almost to peek into what this trial might look like, the contours that might take on.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, obviously this is going to be the federal case about efforts by Trump and his allies to overturn the twenty twenty election. A lot of the sets are similar to the case that Fannie Willis has filed in Georgia in Fulton County, but we have key differences in those two cases, one being a state case cannot be pardoned if there is a conviction in that case, whereas a federal conviction could be pardoned if Trump, you know, were to either win or one of his allies were to win. In the presidency.
Speaker 2: John Laurel, Donald Trump's attorney called the idea that they get this going four months from now an outrage to justice. And I guess he was quite animated in the courtroom. Our reporting says he was raising his voice at times. Judge Chucking at one point had to ask him to take the temperature down. Does that tell us anything about the way Trump's legal team will comport itself in court.
Speaker 3: Well, it's interesting because we saw this sort of similar dynamic play out in the setting of the Florida trial date, which is going to be in May. That's in the classified document's case that the judges here are really trying to walk a far line between the legal requirements of making sure they handle all the evidence and you know they're they're running a fair and proper trial with the kind of the heat being turned up on the political calendar.
Speaker 2: There was another important court date today, the one in Georgia having to do with Mark Meadows attempt to have that moved to federal court. Even if that decision has been made, will we not hear an announcement on that for some time? Sarah, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have a reporter in the court room We are waiting for the first news out of that hearing. We are expecting that Mark Meadows will be testifying about why he thinks his case should be moved to federal court rather than state court. And his argument is that he was acting in his duties as a federal employee and so that would justify a federal trial. The counter to that, you know, Fanny Willis has already filed her position, which is that there's nothing in the law that allows a federal e play to try to subvert fairly run election. And also she's argued that the Hatch Act applies, which prevents of federal employees from political activity while they're in office.
Speaker 2: Sarah, great to have you back, Sarah Fordon, who's got more plates in the air than most editors right now, Bloomberg Legal Editor, how'd you like that title? Right now? In Washington with six we're talking six it's a remarkable piece. Trials that could be underway over the course of this election cycle. We have to wait for several of them to be scheduled here, of course, but we want to bring in Jim Zyron, the former Assistant US Attorney for the Southern District of New York, He also hosts conversations with Jim Zyron on PBS and has been a voice of reason and trust here over the course of this entire saga of well now four indictments as many as six trials. Jim, it's great to have you back on Bloomberg. Let's start with the breaking news of the day here March fourth. Your thoughts on that, forget the political side of it in terms of primary season, but just in terms of being able to prepare. Donald Trump's lawyer, as I mentioned, says it's an outrage to justice. What do you think.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's an outrage to justice. I mean, you know, we're living the digital age. It's not the way it used to be, where the lawyer had to go through of voluminous pages of discovery in order to prepare for trial. Now everything is digitalized, it's search friendly, and the government has said it's going to tie the various pieces of evidence to the charges and the indictment. And it's not just one lawyer, it's a team of lawyers and paralegals, and there will be searchable discovery. There'll probably be more to come. I don't know whether twelve point eight million may be modest number of pages, and I think that the lawyers really should be up to the task of trying the case on March fourth.
Speaker 2: Well, so how does a legal team do that? I'm just deeply curious. You get twelve point eight million pages dropped on you, you get four months, what do you do with that? You give you this up among the team. What's the exercise?
Speaker 4: Well, it's on discs and it's searchable, and the first you have to have a theory of the defense, and you will look for pages of discovery that might amplify the defense of the case. But they don't have to read every word of twelve point eight million documents. If they did, we'd all be here until never, which is the trial date that Donald Trump wanted.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, he still wants it, though, So what's the team going to do with that?
Speaker 4: Well, basic principle of constitutional law, no trial, no conviction. So if you can delay the trial interminably, or delay the trial until there's a Republican president who might pardon him, then he's home free, at least in the federal system, Sarah pointed out, not in the state system.
Speaker 2: Well, so sticking with this federal trial for a moment, though, of course the team's going to come back around with an attempt to delay. How likely is it this trial actually begins on March fourth, Well.
Speaker 4: I think is a realistic prospect of its beginning. They will undoubtedly make motions, and they will motions to dismiss motions for legal insufficiency. I think I don't know what the basis would be for those motions, but I think the judge would say there has to be a jury determination and will pass the determination on the motions and dismiss and until the trial occurs and the prosecutor's evidence is laid out before the jury.
Speaker 2: So what do you make of this idea? Knowing that we've got the criminal cases as well as a couple of civil cases as well. They total six. Could we be in a world in which six trials are underway in the balance of this campaign cycle.
Speaker 4: Well, it's conceivable the two civil cases will not require Trump's attendance. That would be the Tiss James's fraud case. She's the Attorney General in New York, her fraud case, the civil case that she brought in New York, and then also the e Gene Carroll two, which is the libel case that is before Judge Kaplan in New York, and that may not require a trial either because of the findings that were made by the jury in the first trial. We'll have to see how that plays out, but in any event, they will not require Trump's presence. That will be handled by the lawyers, and that should not be a distraction. But the other the two cases that going to be very important are the case in Georgia, of course, and in which Trump may find himself with the speedy trial of October of twenty three that his co defendants have achieved and although he's asked that he be severed from that aspect of the case, and the March fourth, which is I think a pretty hard date. But the really important thing to focus on is when we hear of speedy trial, we think, well, constitution says a defendant is entitled to a speedy trial, but as Judge Shutkin pointed out and the case law demonstrates, the public interest is entitled to a speedy trial. This is an issue that the public is entitled to have resolved with a jury verdict one way or the other. Trump is presumed to be innocent, but the evidence to be presented by the prosecutor, and should he be convicted, the public is entitled to know that he's been convicted by a jury.
Speaker 2: So with all of that said, we're going to be choosing candidates. You're going to be voting as soon as January fifteenth. That's Iowa Jim. So the political side of this is, my goodness, how does he do it all?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: He have to be in court for all of these trials. How is he going to run a presidential campaign at the same time as managing potentially six trials? Give us a sense of how much geography will be involved here when we consider all of these East Coast courthouses and how often he'll be required to show up in person.
Speaker 4: I think it's going to be his problem. It depends on the scheduling. As for the criminal cases he will be required to appear in court. I suppose he get a peer for an hour and then withdraw and waive his right to be confronted with the charges. I don't know what the Georgia procedure is, but basically all this litigation is going to absorb a tremendous amount of attention. In his part, he has lawyers to handle it for him, but he has to meet with the lawyers and confer with them, and they have to fashion the defense to the various charges, and that takes time. And if he's distracted from the political campaign, that's just his problem. He has, as a criminal defendant, no constitutional right to have personal or professional commitments. As Judge Chutkins said, he has to be treated like any other defendant.
Speaker 2: When we talk about a speedy trial, that obviously has to do with when the trial is taken up, but also the duration of the trial. Jim or these weeks long, months long, they're going to be underway when the election happens. Which is it?
Speaker 4: Oh, I think the DC case starts March four, it will end long before the election. I think you're talking about a four to six week trial here, even if it's a two month trial. And we've had significant criminal cases in the Southern District of New York, the conspiracy cases with multiple defendants and the trial took two months. I think, particularly because Jack Smith has peered it down in the District of Columbia to have one defendant, one defendant, Donald Trump, to prove this conspiracy that he charges actually three conspiracies. And he ought to be skilled prosecutor, and he ought to be able to present his case. And I don't know what the defense will be. I don't know whether Trump can take the stand. But the case really could be tried within the period of two months in my view.
Speaker 2: Two months. So do you feel that way about the other Special Council's trial as well?
Speaker 4: Oh, the one in Florida is somewhat more complicated because of the presence of two other defendants and also the presence of the classified document.
Speaker 2: But still before the election. I'm guessing you're Sam Jim.
Speaker 4: And yes, I don't really believe the Florida case will be tried before the election.
Speaker 2: All right, here you have it from jim 'siron. Great to have you back. Jimmy's the four assistant US Attorney for the Southern District of New York. He knows of what he speaks. How does that sound like for a little bit of a messy campaign calendar. We'll assemble our panel next. Brick and Genie are on the way. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Sound on podcast. Catch us live weekdays at one Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app, and the Bloomberg Business app or listen on demand wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Live from Washington, where there are many questions about how Donald Trump is going to manage these trials in the throes of a campaign season. Now that we have a date on the January sixth case, this is the one, of course, brought by the Special Council. I know it gets confusing, Jack Smith January sixth efforts allegedly to overturn the twenty twenty election is that's still allegedly thet is opening open to this. But either way, March fourth, the eve of Super Tuesday, is what we're looking at. And you know there's going to be an effort to slow this down. But it is quite a headline to read on the terminal, and it's a great piece of writing. By the way, Trump faces prospective up to six trials during primary season. We assembled our panel Rick Davis and Jeanie Shanzano or with us Bloomberg Politics contributors. Rick, do you think this actually happens the fourth of March? Well, something's going to happen on the fourth of March.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know you're going to be two days after the Idaho caucuses and and you know, it's the kind of thing where you just can't even imagine the taking out of the primary season so much time to you know, have try for your life. I mean, you know, this is really serious stuff for Donald Trump, and he's going to be completely you know, taken back by having to take time off the road, take time out of his campaign, focus on other things. And I think that it march forth happens, and there's no way to predict it. It will you know, you're an expert. After expert will give you a different opinion. But just contemplating this idea of having a federal trial in the middle of a primary season, it's just it blows my mind as someone who is obsessed over dates and where the candidate needs to be and how much time they need to have and what debates coming up next, and now you're going to enter into this kind of thing, and this is just one of six. It's it's just mind boggling.
Speaker 2: Twelve point eight million pages, Genie. If you put all the students at I own a university together, I wonder how long it would take them to get through that. Of course, there is a legal team here, but is this fair to say go to trial in four months when you have that much discovery.
Speaker 6: Students at IONA would get through it a lot quicker than those defense attorneys. Kidding you know, I do think listen Judge Chuck, and she was very clear today. She asked them to give her a reasonable timeframe, a reasonable date. Obviously, April twenty twenty six is not reasonable, particularly when you have somebody who is going on trial, who is posting the kinds of messages he is and tainting the jury pool. So she said, look, guys, gals, give me a reasonable date. They didn't, So she came back strong. And I think one of the things we have to keep in mind is this doesn't only impact Trump, and it impacts him severely. It also impacts the rest of the field because think about this. You're out there normally after Iowa who he I'm sure the field starts to winnow down. But now you've got the leading contender facing to ricks point six trials, four of whom are serious criminal indictments. Do you drop out now after a couple of caucuses and primaries or do you stick with it? Same for the big donors, they might stick with it, thinking we need a viable number two or number three, God forbid something happens to our number one. So the entire I think calendar is going to be blown up in this Republican field. Anybody who wanted consolidation probably not going to get it now.
Speaker 2: Well, we've, of course, we've got the matter in Georgia as well, and whether this is going to go federal or not for Mark Meadows. But we'll wait and see what happens with all of that. We heard from Alina Haba, Donald Trump's attorney on Fox over the weekend talking about this and kind of fascinating. You know, I guess he knows what he knows.
Speaker 7: These are not complicated facts. Look at Fanny, it was a phone call, a phone call that's been around forever that he refers to as the perfect phone call. What is he going to have to be prepped for? The truth? You don't have to prep much when you've done nothing wrong, so that I'm not concerned with.
Speaker 2: So it sounds like then we just go for it, rip off the band aid, and hit it. In March, Rick, if you were preparing a candidate for Super Tuesday, this again is on the eve of what would be a normal day before Super Tuesday. Suggest you know, in the world in which your candidate was not going to trial, where would you have him or her? What would they be doing? Well, you would.
Speaker 5: Start probably in the East coast and and and spend two days flying from the East coast to the West coast, with six to eight stops a day in that in that category, just to even set foot on a state that's that's voting, you know, on March fifth. So I mean, you know, you wouldn't be sitting in a courtroom worrying about your imprisonment. You'd be you'd be trying to figure out how to get so many rallies at airports that you create a little momentum for the states on Super Tuesday, and and so you know, that's you can't imagine how different it would be if someone walks into the campaign. By the way, you can't have the candidate on Super Tuesday or the day before because he's sitting in a courtroom. And you know, Washington, d C. I mean, we wouldn't even go to Washington to DC in a year that you're ever prim nevertheless having to repeatedly go there to stand trial.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, we've got some new polling data out here today, Genie I don't know if you saw the latest from Emerson. This is a poll of registered voters, which is something that we do want to flag as opposed to likely primary voters. But it's got Donald Trump at fifty rohnd de Santis at twelve. It's creating the headline at least that post debate and post indictments, that this gap might be narrowing. But can we even say that in a fifty to twelve race.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean we we are really stretching it to say he has dropped compared to the last poll about six points, but you know, you are still so far ahead that it's hard to know what to make of it at this point. And of course he did not show up for the debate. He was just indicted for the fourth time and turned himself in in Georgia. And can we just go back to the Alina Habba thing and say yes, she blows up his entire reason for extending the trial. She goes on national television and says he's set to go. He's telling the truth. He doesn't need to think about this or prepare for it. They're not worried at all. This is where the political and the legal and I think Haba has, you know, confused where she is. She's an attorney. She's trying to make a political argument about his ability to tell the truth and not prepare. Then why do they need until April twenty twenty six?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, Absolutely, keep going, Jeanie does so.
Speaker 6: I thank you for cheering for me, Joe, I appreciate it. Get Zio, so, you know, I think we're going to continue to hear these conflicting messages. There are so many cooks in the kitchen and you have to have somebody take the lead. But now you've got people in the political realm who are saying far different things from the people in the legal realm, and they don't jibe. So you got a judge Calught in the middle saying, listen, folks, this is not reasonable. You're saying one thing, doing another. You're tainting our jury pool. We're going forward and he's going to be victimized in court for that, which is unfair to him as a defendant, but as a political figure. This is what his folks are saying publicly.
Speaker 2: Facts are the facts, apparently, Genie, and he knows the facts. According to Alina Haba, I will ask you both about Ron DeSantis in his weekend now, as I've invoked him already, whether she's looking better or worse. He had a tough weekend and that cheering, by the way, turned into booing in Jacksonville over the weekend. Of course, the scene of this terrible shooting that made news over the course of the weekend. He had to go back to Florida to a vigil last night. Here's what it sounded like. He's walking in with the first lady and it quickly turns to booze. This is a big group of people standing around waiting for this vigil to begin. He did attend that vigil, but it comes after his comments on the matter as well. He did hold a news conference following the shooting to talk about what they had learned.
Speaker 8: State and its people can the horrific racially motivated murders perpetrated by a deranged scumbag in Jacksonville at the Dollar General store. Perpetrating violence of this kind is unacceptable, and targeting people due to their race has no place in the state of Florida.
Speaker 2: We got a lot of criticism for that, and only the use of the term scumbag, but just sort of the nature of the delivery, the tone, Rick, is this a moment for Ronda Santis to show why he should be president?
Speaker 5: Well, certainly leadership matters, and his you know, sort of colloquial rhetoric related to this was you know, you could cut it both ways, but obviously some of the people there took issue at that or took issue in general, you know, with his leadership of the state. But this is reality descending upon presidential campaign that you know, to some degree operates in a bubble, and so pulling him out of that, taking him from South Carolina where he'd planned to spend the day, uh, take him home to uh to you know, uh preside over you know, a really disturbing set of facts, you know, is jarring and so uh you know, but it's a reality. He's a governor of the state. A lot of the campaign before he got elected re elected was how much time are you going to spend in the state, you know, being our governor? And and this is a musco you know, right on the backs of this is going to be a tropical storm that's coming to the state, and you know that's gonna that's gonna disrupt his h his campaign reality too. So you know, look, he doesn't have a he doesn't have you know, these horrific uh situation that Donald Trump does to have to go on trial throughout the course of the year. But this is a chance to show leadership. And you know, I think that I think that, you know, sort of you know, we're still looking for that breakout moment for him.
Speaker 2: Well, we're going to get into that a little bit more. It does appear that this storm is going to keep on to Santus off the trail for a bit longer than he might prefer. Rick Davis and Jeanie Shanzana will have more on the way that should be handled coming up next.
Speaker 1: You're listening to The Bloomberg Sound on podcast. Catch the program live weekdays at one Eastern on Bloomberg Radio, the tune in alf, Bloomberg dot Com, and the Bloomberg Business App. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: They're preparing for hurricane strength conditions in Florida, with an eye on Jacksonville. Governor Ron DeSantis spending time there following this terrible mass shooting over the weekend. Now dealing potentially with two prices at once in the throes of a presidential campaign, and as we heard over the weekend, it's going to mean likely some time off the campaign trail. Let's reassemble our panel for more on the impact of all of this. Rick Davis, Jeanie Shanza with US Bloomberg Politics contributors. Rick, I remember specifically the first day of the Republican convention. It was John McCain's convention, and by that, I mean it was your convention in two thousand and eight, Saint Paul, and there was a hurricane on the way to New Orleans and you had a decision to make on whether to run the program per usual that day. You also know what it's like to pull a candidate off the trail when you suspended John McCain's campaign at the threshold of the Great Recession, when of course everyone came to Washington to try to figure out a path forward. What would you do now for Ronda Santis And if it is removal from the campaign trail, how do you manage that?
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, you got to, you know, connect with the American people and tell them why and what you're doing. I mean when we canceled the first day of the Republican Convention in two thousand and eight with Hurricane gustav you know, coming down on Florida. You know, everybody at that time still remembered very clearly, you know, the disruption to the state and the failures of the Bush administration when it came to managing Hurricane Katrina. So that was very much in people's psyche when we made that decision. And how can you celebrate? How can you have balloons dropping from a ceiling, you know, when people in a key state like Florida, you know, or hunkered down, you know, hoping that you know, they don't have their lives taken away. So you know, at some point you have to actually be rational and say no way, you know, you can't do it. And we lost a night of television and activity, you know, as a result of that. But I think sometimes you're graded for what you don't do right, you don't make the mistake of celebrating at a time of national you know, mourning, or at a time when you know people are in danger.
Speaker 2: That's really interesting, Genie. Sometimes you're rewarded for what you don't do. Will Ron de Santis be rewarded for this, and how does he recover if you think it was even an issue from the way he handled the shooting in Jacksonville.
Speaker 6: He you know, I think we have to wait and see if he'll be rewarded. He has. He is the governor of this state. He had a mass shooting in his state, a horrific event, on the same weekend we were celebrating the March on Washington sixty years and he went back and of course, now you have this storm approaching. Let's be realistic as to why he was met with so much derision when he went back there. It's because this is somebody who has loosened gun laws in Florida. He has upset many people who care about civil rights. He has spent endless amounts of time talking about the importance of being woke. He has attacked critical race theory. He has attacked the teaching of our history and specifically slavery. So there are policy reasons that he wasn't met the way he was, coupled with the fact that he used language which was a little bit stunning when you hear what he had to say about the shooter himself. But you know, he is somebody who also by the same token as governor, has done a fairly good job handling crisis so far. So I think he made the right decision just politically going back there and being the executive he told us he is and would be, because he's going to be able to show that if Americans beyond Florida or watching to the American public, which if he does it well, he's going to help him. Certainly, the worst thing he could do would be go around the country campaigning while his state is dealing with all of these crises.
Speaker 2: I need to ask you both about the Viake Ramaswami and the latest controversy surrounding this presidential candidate. You saw him over the weekend defending his remarks about the KKK, more specifically calling Ayana Presley, the congresswoman from Massachusetts, a part of the modern KKK. He was asked about it yesterday morning.
Speaker 9: What I said is the grand wizards of the KKK would be proud of what they would hear her say, because there's nothing more racist than saying that your skin color predicts something about the content.
Speaker 7: He didn't just say that to say they would be proud, you said, these are the words of the modern grand Wizards of the modern kk.
Speaker 2: Standard bash on CNN. Of course, remember that Aana Presley was the first black woman elected to represent Massachusetts in Congress. She had said, we don't need any more blackfaces that don't want to be a black voice. Coming off the debate the other night. This is this is tough stuff here, Rick. It does appear that he's doubling down. Is he doing the right thing or not? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Look, I mean he's spent the entire weekend, you know, on these Sunday shows really sort of recreating history. I mean, whether it was a response like this on Aana Presley's comments, which by the way, deserves some derision on their own, right. I mean, like the idea that she can say these things and not be criticized for sounding bias is a little bit surprising to me. But look, Ramaswami has his own case to be made, and he got stuck in this. He got stuck in other comments he's made in his book that were, you know, diametrically different than what he said on the debate stage. So he's got some splen to do. And you know, you put yourself out for these Sunday shows and they're not going to be a piece of cake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome to the NFL. Here, Jeanie, the big Ramaswami is now getting a sense of what it's really like to be a presidential candidate. Did he just step in it? Does this threaten his campaign?
Speaker 6: He did step in it, and it would threaten his campaign if people were listening. But you know, the fear is is exactly what he said to Dana Bash. If we listen carefully to that interview, what he said was, oh, I just said these comments to attract and incite a conversation. The reality is, we should have a conversation about this issue, but it should not be a conversation with a leading candidate or a candidate for the Republican nomination. Comparing a representative in Congress who happens to be the first black woman elected to a modern klu klux Klan member. It's absolutely outrageous. It's beyond controversial. But he admits right there he's doing it to spark controversy and conversation, and that is the problem. And the reality is this goes far beyond Ramaswami. It's the same tactic Trump is used, and I fear it's going to be something we hear more about if candidates than less because it attracts attention, it attracts money, and people sort of set aside the hypocrisy of something he wrote in a book eleven months ago and something he's saying on the trail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're going to be hearing more of that book recurgitated over the course of the next couple of weeks, and this should provide some very interesting conversation points for the second debate, which is September at the Ronald Reagan Library. Final thoughts from our panel straight ahead of course, Rick Davis and Jeanie Shanzano. I'm Joe Matthew in Washington. I'm the fastest show in politics. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to The Bloomberg Sound on podcast. Catch us live weekdays at one Eastern on Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app, and the Bloomberg Business app, or listen on demand wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: President Biden leaves the bubble. Well not really, Washington, You're always in the bubble. The book left the White House with the first Lady on what was the first day of school for a bunch of kids. I won't out the school They didn't put that on the guidance from the White House. All that said was they'd visit a public school to welcome students back to class, and indeed they did, remembering, of course, that doctor Jill is a teacher herself. Here's the president in the classroom.
Speaker 10: The hardest thing is to come back after three months of not doing any work, not doing any homework, and all of a sudden, you've got a lot to make. Everybody has a lot to catch up from what the end of the last year. And you all look so excited to be a math class on.
Speaker 1: Your first day.
Speaker 2: What's your hardest subject from school?
Speaker 1: Math?
Speaker 2: They said, their hardest subject in the school. But Jill Biden's an English teacher. Final thoughts from Rick and Jeanie. It's an interesting dichotomy here, Genie, you're an educator. While many Republican presidential candidates threatened to shut down the Department of Education, this one is going to school. Is that a good contrast.
Speaker 6: It is a good contrast. And I love the reaction of the kids. They were all giggling, they were all smiling. They one of them said, I'm shaking hands with the president. I remember my eighth grade return to school. No president met me. I think it's a very important contrast, and we have to invest more in our schools. And nobody's better equipped to talk about that than Jill Biden and of course her husband.
Speaker 2: He spent something like twenty minutes in the hallway shaking hands there, Rick, this is part of the job of being the president, right, what's the message? Why take the time?
Speaker 5: I actually thought he gave us a very clear message. He said, you know, we've just spent three months not doing anything. I think he aptly described the Biden administration and exactly why we're in the case we're in. So maybe he should get back to school and do a little something to help our economy. And you know, sperm up the support.
Speaker 4: For the war.
Speaker 2: And is Genie still there? I mean to lay the bait like that, Genie, I.
Speaker 6: Know, and look at Rick Davis going right in for the hill. Rick, inflation is doing better. You're celebrating Biden nomics. Be happy.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, we almost need another hour now with you too. We found something here. Rick Davis and Genie shanseo Bloomberg Politics contributors are friends that sound on the best panel in the business. Thanks for listening. To the sound On podcast. Make sure to subscribe if you haven't already, at Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts, and you can find us live every weekday from Washington, DC at one pm Eastern Time. Bloomberg dot com