Speaker 1: My name is Clay Neukleman. This is a production of the Bear Grease podcast called The Bear Grease Render, where we render down, dive deeper, and look behind the scenes of the actual bear Grease podcast, presented by f h F Gear, American Maid, purpose built hunting and fishing gear that's designed to be as rugged as the place as we explore.
Speaker 2: Sounds good, I love Yeah, my wife gets mad. I'd say a probably rather turkey out and breathe. There.
Speaker 3: Nobody that's married and turkey hunts. They've all heard that. I know.
Speaker 4: That's pretty good. Bear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sounds good. Beard, Welcome to the Bear Grease Render.
Speaker 4: It's Turkey Week.
Speaker 1: It's it you guys may not have known it, but it's Turkey week at Meat Eater. That's what I heard, which means all turkey, all day, all week.
Speaker 4: Non stop turkey action.
Speaker 1: Non stop. Tune in for non stop turkey action. Sound like a nineteen The turkeys don't stand a chance. We are going to talk about turkeys today and it's time.
Speaker 3: Holy cow.
Speaker 1: Down here or depending on where you're at, we could be up here for some people, but down here for a lot of the country. In Arkansas, Man the Red buds or budding. Did you notice that on the way here came?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 2: Whenever I started on the interstate south, it was just like green. Yeah yeah, it's not as green back home.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Well it's uh, there are red buds out there. What's happening? And it's a mess.
Speaker 3: It's the same scenario when you get this south here, back towards Riley, of towards Mountainburg. From there on south, it's even twice as green as it is up this way.
Speaker 1: I've heard somebody say that for every I believe it was every ten miles south you drive, spring comes a day earlier.
Speaker 3: That's probably about right.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's I don't know if that distance is right, but I know you drive fifty miles south of here and it is spring is way, and you get you know, it just keeps amplifying whether you go. But it's time, man. Uh, the when the red buds start to pop, Turkey start to gobble. Have you heard of turkey gobble yet this year?
Speaker 5: Mo?
Speaker 3: No, but I haven't been out to listen.
Speaker 1: It hadn't been out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well we we have with us today. I've got most Shepherd, longtime bear Grease favorite Turkey.
Speaker 4: He's real greasy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's greasy. I've got Josh Lambridge, filmmaker Bear John Newcomb, and Cameron Tidwell. Yes, sir from Missouri, Yes, sir, very southern Missouri. You're almost Arkansas.
Speaker 2: I'm almost Arkansas. Yep, yep. Grew up in pe Ridge, Yeah, peer Ridge, Arkansas.
Speaker 3: And then he left the state.
Speaker 2: Then I left and found I left for the turkeys.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And my wife's from Missouri, the fact that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, just as a little introduction, Moe and Cam are arch rivals at the annual Black Bear Bonanza al Hoodolph.
Speaker 2: I'm happy when he doesn't show up.
Speaker 1: They know, for multiple years y'all competed against each other, and there's there's always this big pool of people that are doing a natural Voice alhu which we have with the Natural Voice Alhoot competition at the Black Bear Bonanza, and the it's a blind judging panel, and they're probably gonna have to move me off the panel because I did so much. I know who's calling. But there'll be new people up there every year, and it's always the same. It's been the same three.
Speaker 3: Except when I wasn't there last year and the year before Moe and Brian were not in it, and then it was like taking candy from a baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I won.
Speaker 1: The second time, Yeah, so you've won that content.
Speaker 2: Yes, I have beat Mo and Brian once. Yeah, but then the second time they were not there.
Speaker 3: I think I think read you beat me though that year before that is because after it all, I was talking claim he said, I kind of recognized your al went there and.
Speaker 1: I was penalizing you.
Speaker 3: No, no, that's not true.
Speaker 1: But Mo, you've come in second place like multiple.
Speaker 3: Times, yeah, three times, three times.
Speaker 2: That it's pretty consistent of won twice.
Speaker 1: And then what's Brian's last name? Cobb Cobb, brianbb and.
Speaker 2: He's won, He's won two times. I've won twice and coming and three times.
Speaker 4: And Moe's always a bridesmaid, never a bride.
Speaker 3: But you got to be pretty good to place the same time every year.
Speaker 4: True.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, uh no, bears getting a pretty good ol hoot getting there, getting there. Maybe one day you'll be up there on the stage.
Speaker 4: But if you just cruise down the road in your truck, just hooting, just.
Speaker 1: About I'll tell you the most like developmental time in my owl hooting journey was whenever a bunch of owls flew up to me and they just started like hooting in a circle, and I just listened to him. And then every now and then I would jump in and they would all kind of stop and look at me. I mean, they like knew I was there, but I was just like replicating them. Yeah, I would say my ole hoot like got a lot better. Progressed quite a bit just from listening to real owls, oh one percent. I mean they're easy to call in. We've had an owl that's actually been coming to our house.
Speaker 5: Mo.
Speaker 3: That's that.
Speaker 1: I just stepped out of the porch the other night and heard him about three hundred yards away, and I owled and came back in the house, and you know, fifteen minutes later, he's in one of these trees like right here, and uh yeah, we had we had the windows open and you could hear him and I'd owl at him and we had a little fun little deal this morning.
Speaker 2: I called it an owl listen for turkeys. Really yep, yep. I actually have it on video on my phone. But he started hooting turkey's goblin and I could hear him getting closer, and he, I mean he flew, he just landed right above me this morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where the turkey's answering him?
Speaker 2: Uh, they were answered me, and then they'd flown down and by the time he was amped up, they'd stopped goblin.
Speaker 1: How many did you hear this morning too? Too? Did they gobble pretty good?
Speaker 2: They gobbled really well this morning. Actually it's crisp and uh, yeah, they gobbled good today.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So what's the earliest you've ever turkey hunted? Mo legally legally.
Speaker 3: Serious? Think?
Speaker 1: No, have you ever hunted Mississippi?
Speaker 3: I've never hunted Mississippi, but I've hunted, Uh, I've hunted in Oklahoma's every year ago the season opened the it was a twenty something of March, and then the earliest I've ever hunted darkest all I used to open all the time on April the first. So that's the earliest dates I've ever turkey hunted is Yeah, is April the first? And other than youth hunts, now I have I'll member back that up years ago when I and I still take youth hunts out. But uh, there's been a time or two where the youth hunt was a full week ahead of our season. We don't in April the first, So the youth hunt was, you know, the twenty March twenty sixth, twenty fifth, twenty sixth something other of march. So I have I have taken youth youth kids out on that hunt during during the march.
Speaker 1: Have you ever hunted Florida?
Speaker 2: Never hunted Florida, But I have killed turkey Mississippi hunted there one time. It's the only place I've ever hunted where I the gobbler. Never heard of Gobble, called him up cold, no seen him, put the stock on him.
Speaker 3: Killed, Yeah, bush com Oni, sure did.
Speaker 1: Sure, there's man, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't have any shame in bushwhacking one.
Speaker 2: If it if it's just what it takes, that is well, I don't know how you'd have killed one. There was a flock of him and they wouldn't do nothing. So I just there was literally so like it was a public place and you could tell they, uh, they lo would like flood it for waterfowl hunting. So it was huge levees and there was one tree out and that I could see from the bottom, and that turkey was standing underneath that tree. So I just ran and got to the climb where I could see that tree popped up and I couldn't see him, and I looked and he was right here, and he took off run and I shot him about thirty five yards, got him, got him.
Speaker 3: Got him.
Speaker 1: Well, Josh, you've you've you've never had it out of state, not out of state. No, yeah, hey, I gotta show y'all this. I gotta show y'all this. Uh hey, mo, you see that picture on the back.
Speaker 4: Of that who whoo?
Speaker 3: Who is that? Looks like mister Clay Newton.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, this is the Phelps Prime cuts.
Speaker 3: Uh Diephram probably gonna tell me next that was named after you or something that.
Speaker 1: I'm choking up over here that my name's on that call. Me and Jason Phelps we really worked on he sent me. I told him what I wanted in a call. I basically wanted the best of both worlds, which which was, to me, a call that I could purr on real light perr and KICKI run, but also had like some real raspy yelps. And I'm not the best caller in the world. I mean, I'm really the best caller here.
Speaker 3: But ford's your sharkout throwing around that way chair.
Speaker 1: I don't glam to be the best turkey collar in the world. But uh, but I I like to call turkeys and I used to. I probably used to be a little more serious about it than I than I am today. But uh but I wanted I wanted one that I could really let me. Let's see see how this translates to podcasting.
Speaker 5: Ah h yeah, let's hear some soft pearse.
Speaker 2: Now that's a soft as I got there, you go.
Speaker 1: I like it, though, And I like that it's a brown, a brown call. I don't. I don't like a call that's uh colored like a turkey's head.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: Like, Yeah, all these really bright calls, and and you know, we make some of them, uh and I I told, I told Jason that we need to make them.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: They're harder to see if you lose them on the ground. But like that coffee down on the.
Speaker 4: Ground and you're searching for it, that's Jill's.
Speaker 1: Gary Nucomb taught me when I was a kid not to use a blue mouth turkey call, because you know, you're carrying around your mouth. I mean sometimes, I mean, you, God forbid somebody do this. But it happens where you see color and you assume that it's a turkey head. But uh, anyway, I like the color of this call it's brown.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I see people I run across people out in the woods clay that and I've told them when I met him, they'll have like a they'll have on their hat and stuff. And I don't know whether they're going to put a whole head and down a lot of them just have you know, a face wrap around or whatever. And they'll have a hat on like a camo hat, you know, have a bright red or something other like a Turkey's emblem on it or something other. And I say, hey, man, I wouldn't be wearing that with why And then I tell them why?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, I've had friends. Have you ever, I know you've never been shot. Have you seen anybody or been like in close proximity to somebody being shot?
Speaker 3: Never been in close proximity. But I know of a couple of people that's been shot or shot at close and you know, not heard or anything. But had one time happened to me where a guy was was slipping up on me. It was actually crawling like Indian crawling on the ground, coming right towards me.
Speaker 1: Now, was he here in a real turkey gobble and you were just in between him or did he Yeah.
Speaker 3: He was trying to sneak up on the turkey and you thought I was a hen. But I'm saying when I seen him, I just stood up and hollered real loud at him, said, hey, man, I'm a hunt you know. And he kind of freaked out. He stood up and yeah, and I didn't get talked to him. He took off the other way.
Speaker 1: So he took off. Yeah, man, Bear, I'm Bear's hunting some places that have a lot of pressure.
Speaker 4: And I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and and I do too. But just in the last year, he he was hunting a lot of places and uh, man, did that makes me nervous?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: One time I was at at our turkey camp. I actually was off hunting, but my were you there, Josh? You were with You were with me probably and lost and we were we were off hunting and a guy had been shot and there was a doctor at our camp, John Mesco. And this guy came to our camp and because he knew that John Mesco was there, doctor.
Speaker 4: John Mescoe, and uh in seventeen pellets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he took off his shirt. Basically, it was like, hey, what do I need to do. I'm did John pull out his pocket knife and start plucking?
Speaker 6: He may have, but he said you could go to the emergency room, but they're probably not gonna do anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, they would just leave the pelot in there.
Speaker 4: If they weren't lead.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the guy just finally was like, well, okay, I guess I'll just.
Speaker 4: He wasn't incapacitated or anything. He just has pelots in him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people get killed an older man.
Speaker 6: An older man had shot him, saw something white or blue on the back of his shirt and shot at him.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But these new heavy loads, boy, it seems it's Yeah, it seems like it could be more consequential.
Speaker 2: You know, are people that carry a fan on public land? I don't think that's very It's risky. It's pretty risky. Yeah, even on private land in as it's risky. But you don't always know what he's out there, especially on cam.
Speaker 1: What do you think about fan in Turkeys? Just like from you know, there's this ethical debate about whether it's ethical.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not gonna lie. I mean, I've done it before and it's fun, but it ain't my number one way to do it. No way do I think it's unethical. Depends on how bad of a season you're having, but generally no, don't fan. Yeah, that's just I don't know. Normally just don't have to. I don't like carrying them, carrying around, don't like messing with the decoys very much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm in the same boat as Cam. I don't. I've never used a fan on one and decoys I might use twice in a whole year, and it has to be a special situation. And usually it's like when I'm taking somebody else, like an elderly person or a kid, to try to keep a turkey's attention off of the kid moving or something other like that. So yeah, yeah, I read As far as myself, I hardly, I hardly ever use it.
Speaker 1: You're on thick woods, you're not a lot of field edges, and.
Speaker 3: No, no, I don't hunt hardly, unless, like I said, I sometimes I take you on some private name where I have permission to hunt. But I hardly every hunted myself. Yeah. Like I've got a mother in law that she'll be eighty one this year. I don't know if she'll get to go this year, but I've took her in years past, and it's three or four year ago. I took her to friend mine's private place and set up some decoys and called in a nice gullar for and I think she was seventy six at the time, you know, and she was able to take it.
Speaker 4: S awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, there's there's there's an ethical question about fan and turkey.
Speaker 4: What are they?
Speaker 1: What do they call they do? They'll call it reaping, reaping turkeysping, where basically.
Speaker 2: It's what you crawl up on them. You know, he's a fan, you're a fan, and you advance on the turkey basically.
Speaker 3: When he's sitting out there in the middle of a than field or a cornfield or a big past year or whatever strutt and you just pull that front on the ground and crawl and crawl until you getting don andyth and to shoot them.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a lot of people that really get worked up about it. Have you seen this bear people?
Speaker 3: People?
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's illegal in a couple of states.
Speaker 2: It is, Yeah, and more states are making it illegal, especially on public land, because it is dangerous.
Speaker 3: Is it effective, dude, Yeah, it's effective.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's highly effective. That's part of the that's part of the I don't that's the reason they're making it illegal, but that's that's part of it. Is it's like, oh, that's not turkey hunting. Yes, anytime people start talking about that kind of stuff, with any kind of hunting, I always go, man, you better you live in a probably live in a glass house if you're not careful, because I mean, it's like mojo decoys on duck hunting. I mean, like like action decoys that like in duck hunting, there are no holds barred on what kind of decoys you can use. You're trying to just get them right on top of you, and it's legal and ethical and fine and no big deal for the most part. And then you know, I mean, what about putting up blinds and putting out feed TSS to long rain being able to shoot seventy five yards the average turkey gun, well I don't think that's true, but the average turkey gun being able to kill a turkey at fifty yards man, yeah.
Speaker 2: Fifty Well with TSS and three and a half inch twelve gauges or ten gauges even you can shoot a turkey way too far. Yeah, yeah, you know, I mean that's where I wouldn't want to do that myself.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I like to call the turkey in, you know, that's where you beat him whenever he comes to you.
Speaker 3: I like to see their eyeballs.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: But does it not depend on how bad a turkey season you're having?
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not going to judge you.
Speaker 1: Well, see, that's just the thing. I mean, it's it's like, there comes a point when when regulations affect harvest and I think the range of turkey. I mean, the reason we don't use rifles is because we're.
Speaker 3: Two reason safety and limit your range on how far you can shoot a turkey. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean it's like, is it even spring turkey hunting if you're shooting one at two hundred yards?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But I mean at the same time, everyone's heard the phrase like ten percent of the guys are killing ninety percent of the turkeys. Yeah, most of those guys are not using this crutch or whatever you want to call it. You know, let's say the vast majority aren't fanning or shooting you know, turkeys at seventy five yards. You know, you know what I mean, Like the most of those people loved a turkey hunt. That's why they're part of that ten percent of people because they respect it and they love it.
Speaker 1: I wonder if that's really true, though, I belik you think ninety percent of turkeys are getting killed by ten percent of people. I mean, it's awfully convenient because that's a good fishing statement to mister Kanp, well.
Speaker 2: Maybe not. That's don't take it them. You know what I say.
Speaker 3: You know I do. I agree with him, but I think it's more in my opinion, everybody's opinions, but my opinion is it's the same scenario, but I think it's more of like especially nowadays, with all the extra stuff they've got compared to like when I started turking outing forty seven, forty eight years ago, the stuff help them like fanning or back at the back in the stone age. Mister nukeombe.
Speaker 4: Using an idle addle.
Speaker 3: But what I was going to say was, I think it's more in my opinion, a seventy five twenty five percent. I think twenty five percent hunters killed the majority of the turkeys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: No that I know that was your even like YouTube, I mean my grandpa when he grew up, or even mo. You know you figured it out yourself. You know, there's all kinds of tips and really good stuff out there. I mean, it's what you guys do. You know, you put stuff out there.
Speaker 3: To make people to learn, people learn, you know, can move out.
Speaker 2: I mean it it definitely speeds up the process in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah it is. It really is a different game with all the information. And I'm not it's always interesting conversation when you talk about reaping a turkey and then all these technological changes that that make turkey hunting easier, or make any any sport easier. I feel like, as long as we're meeting our management goals, it's it's hard to regulate some of that stuff. But I'm I'm I'm never fan to turkey. But it's not because I wouldn't have done it. I'm usually just hunting in woods where you're not like seeing them from four hundred yards away. I wouldn't. I wouldn't be above it. Bo, what are your turkey plans for this year? Are you going out of state or you say you stay.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna start my season out with the Arkansas Youth Hunt. I've got a ten year old boy I'm gonna take out. It's never been turkey hunting before. I'm gonna take him. I don't know. I'll probably just get taken one of those two days, and then that's on like the twelfth or thirteenth, and then I'm going to out into Oklahoma on the sixteenth and hunt the sixteenth, seventeenth, and maybe the eighteenth if I don't have any luck the first couple of days, I'm gonna stay a third morning and hunt, and then I'm gonna come back for Easter here at home. They are Easter thing at home, and then I'm gonna hunt a couple of days opening our season here. So that's my plans right now. So nice, good on public land.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I am going to Kentucky to hunt some turkeys with a with a couple of guests we had on here for the renders from the Tobacco Wars. They were generous enough to invite me to go hunting. And then on the twenty sixth, I'm gonna be hunting a Missouri turkey with mister Cameron todwell Man.
Speaker 1: Josh is getting all the invites now ever since ever since I mean Horizon with my mustache, people coming in and they meet uh, they meet Brent and Josh, and Brent and Josh get all the invites and everything.
Speaker 3: Play don't get invited for nothing.
Speaker 4: No, he just has to go to Alaska the hunt goats. Yeah yeah, yeah, so you're going with Cam going to camp, going to camp. Fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Last year Demi who got second now contest I had with her and her husband and called in a turkey for her. That was fun last year. I like, you know, that's one of the good things in Missouri.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one of the good things about that event is meeting people. I like to see the same people every time.
Speaker 1: Like, well, you know, could well I'm kind of changing the subject just a little bit. What would be what do you think let's go around the let's go around the room here. What is the epicenter of American turkey hunting in terms of a state, Like if you just had to say this is not not the best, not the place you'd go to kill a turkey, but the cultural epicenter, Like if you just had to pick one state, where would it Where? Where would it be?
Speaker 3: Mo On everything I've read or watched or heard over the years, Uh, I would probably say Missouri.
Speaker 1: Missouri, they have Uh and.
Speaker 3: I've never hunted, but I'm just saying if I took my mother to be no turkey's left, that's right, he'd kill them all.
Speaker 1: Missouri.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say Missouri because I've heard of good hunts, great hunts in Missouri when I was a little kid, for even and I started turkey hunt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think they had They have some of the biggest harvests in the country. Yeah, Bear, what do you think, Well, I've only ever hunted in Arkansas, but from what I've heard and what you said on the podcast, you've probably indoctrinated me. But I think Mississippi. Mississippi. Now, why why would you think such a crazy thing? Well, all the turkey hunters I know from Mississippi seemed to be pretty are really good. Yeah, it's like a seems to be like a religion. Yep, yep. And that's my only that's my only real exposure to any other state. I mean, other than I guess Missouri. Didn't have a father that took you all over the country as a kid.
Speaker 4: You just made him Arkansas public. That's it.
Speaker 1: That's what my dad did too. No, my dad took me to Missouri when I was a senior in high school in Mississippi, I killed a turkey. Well, I wasn't in Mississippi. I hunted Mississippi. Uh but what about what about you cam?
Speaker 2: Where is so? I think there's two different ways to think about it. Missouri is one of them. You know, that's where a lot of reintroduction happened came from. Missouri started out there. It started out there, you know. But you hear a lot of people talk about Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, you know. I mean, I've never hunted Alabama. I've hunted Mississippi. But down there, you know, along that line, it's a lot of good turkey hunters and people that love it get it, you know what I mean? Ye yep, down there, yep, yep.
Speaker 6: Josh, Well, just in the you know, having been the producer part of the Bear Grease podcast and interviewing people in Mississippi, everybody talks about turkey hunt.
Speaker 4: I mean it's like they deer hunt.
Speaker 6: They you know that, you know, we got got they got a bear program down there, but everybody talks about turkey hunting. And so I feel like, of all the people I've talked to, that's where the that's where it seems to be ingrained in outdoors Min's turkey hunters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well and that and you're right, Bar, That's what I've always said, is that I feel like Mississippi is the cultural epicenter. That doesn't mean that that's true. I just I think if you looked at the number of people that have written turkey books and write about it and just the way it's kind of handled down there, I feel like it's uh. I feel like I feel like Mississippi has a run. But I think it'd be between Missouri. Are you in Mississippi? And that doesn't mean that there's not as good as turkey hunters or people love them just as much in Alabama and Georgia and even in Arkansas. But those two I would say those two places Mississippi.
Speaker 3: If I picked the second state, I would have said Mississippi because, like I said, before I ever started turkey hunting and got interested in hunting, all you could do is just read books about stuff, and in Missouri and then a lot of stuff from Mississippi. You'd read about hunters from Mississippi, and then and then it just seemed like those two states were, like you said, there, that seemed like the you hear more. I did when I was growing up, way back in the Stone Age.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the place to seene Moe was once calling up a turkey and a groundsloth walked up on him. Had to shoo it off.
Speaker 3: I shoot it off. I didn't want to shoot it, you know, because there was only two three up left.
Speaker 1: Uh. Well, Mo, what was the best hunt you had last year?
Speaker 3: I gotta think for a minute. Probably the funnest time I had, because it was tough last year, But probably the funnest time I had didn't involve killing a turkey.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: I took a friend of mine that had never turkey hunted before, and we got out and it was the second day we'd went. It was opening the season, and we'd heard birds the first day but never got any within shotgun range, Javis. And second day, we make a long story short, we got on a bird. He answered us, and it was you know, it wasn't early of mornings on up in the day, And so we walked towards him a wayst and I called again. He answered again, and so I got us to spot and I said, let's set up here. And there was an old like an old fence or something O there. I think it was like an old web wire fence or something other, but it was just pieces and parts of it. And I looked at that and I seen where I said. I thought, well, I'm in the range of that, and I put my friend about ten yards in front of me. I said, let's just sit right here, and I backed up there and started calling. It didn't take this few minutes. I seen the gobler come and he come in. He strutted right up to that fence, and I was waiting for my friend to shoot it. I couldn't see what he was doing other than he had, you know, the gun up on his knees. He didn't shoot anything. Finally, the turkey quit strutting. He just kind of ducked under that fence and stepped out on those side and puffed up again right there and just you know, struted out and everything. I thought, okay, it's time to shoot. It's time to shoot, you know. That put that turkey about probably thirty five yards of him, and and he kept sitting there, and it turned and started strutting kind of I think, to our right, and so it was moving and past him, and I thought, well, if it gets far enough away from him if for some reason he didn't shoot it, I think I'm gonna go ahead and take the turkey. Well, it stopped in and kind of run its head up like they did, and looked around, and then it just dropped its head and took off, walking straight away like that. And after the hunt was over, I got up and he's down there to where he's sitting, and I said, hey, what happened? He said it was close enough, wasn't it. He didn't think it was close enough. And but that was a that was a really fun hunt. Because we're we're good friends now and stuff. We worked together for a few years and and it was a fun hunt. And and he's hooked on turkey hunting now, so that he's.
Speaker 1: Going, were you did you? How did you handle that? Did you kind of chuckle about or did were you kind of upset about it? I mean, I know you weren't mad at him. I just laughed at him, so yeah, we would have bothered me, man, it be all mad.
Speaker 3: It didn't bother me at all.
Speaker 1: Watched it walk off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just watched it walk off and everything, and I said, hey, we'll get another and and then we got we went Then the next morning, the last day of our hunt that was hunting together and UH got two birds of goblin and they were coming right to us. This comes back to what we've talked about. The first show. I hadn't heard no other calls. I hadn't heard no hens or anything that I could tell was and these turkeys were just out of our sight, kind of a cross a draw, and they were just you know, gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble at each other or gobbled us. That about that time I heard one of them pert real loud and then boom, boom boom, like three shots, and two guys were running towards them. Had snuck up in on them there. I don't know if they hadn't heard us or what they're doing, but anyway, they shot at them on the run, didn't kill kill the turkey's eight turkeys running flew off and that hunt was over. So but but that that second day, I'll tell you on that that was probably my favorite favorite hunt of the of the year. Was out there. I called in several young birds last year that I passed up. I was just had my mindset because our turkey numbers are low, that I was only gonna take one of it as a big mature. I could tell it was a four or five year old gobbler. And I never called any in like that down here that I could get a shot at.
Speaker 1: But man talking about a turkey going under the fence. This actually happened two years ago. But I was hunting with Lake Pickle and Jordan blissed Done in Mississippi, and we we heard birds at daylight and we went after him, and we made three different On the third set up that morning, these birds were kind of just hung up in this this little pocket and really wouldn't move much. And we started on one side and set up and called and they'd answer us, but never comes. So we made a big circle around him and basically got to the edge of the property and we called, and you know, one of them cut us off, and he called it and he gobbled again, and we knew they were coming. So we sat down and I'm twenty yards from a fence line and a pasture that's not ours, So we're on our land, but you're.
Speaker 3: Twenty eight twenty yards from and we're twenty.
Speaker 1: Yards and we're looking into this kind of open field that we can't hurt.
Speaker 2: Turkeys live on property lines yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so as I remember it, Jordan was back behind us and he was doing most of the calling, and me and Lak a kind of set up, you know, right in range of the turkeys. But I was supposed to be the shooter on this deal. And uh, sure enough, the turkey goes quiet after he cut us off like twice, and we know, we feel like he's coming. And sure enough I see him coming up the fence line on the other side of the fence, and so I'm just like fixated on that. Here's this turkey and I can't shoot it, you know. And he he comes to just like perfect gun rangement on the other side of the fence, and I'm not gonna shoot him, like period.
Speaker 3: And uh.
Speaker 1: And and I think that Lake clucked or Lake scratched the leaves he reached down, and I was fixated on the turkey looking and I just hear Lake behind me, and I hear leaves scratching, and I go, he's looking at us. Quit moving. I thought Lake was like just like moving around, and Lake was knew exactly what he was doing. He had his hand on the turkey, couldn't see him and was scratching the lead. I thought he was just like moving around, you know, and I'm like, like, credit, credit, well that scratch and turn that turkey and he dips under that fence and comes up on the other side. And somehow I my eyes were playing tricks with me still on which side of the fence he was is imagine a five strand Barbara fence in this turkey just like within three feet of it, And I was like, pretty sure I saw him go under it, but they just kind of just kind of glided under it like water. And so the turkey's just like right on top of us in Lake, and I go, is he on our side of the fence? And Lake's like, shoot, and I go, that's not what I asked you, Lake, I asked you, is the turkey you know? That's what I'm thinking. Yeah, And I'm like, is he on our side of the fence? And he goes, he's on our side of the fence, shoot, you know, And the turkey's just he's just right there, you know, just right on the fence line, but on our side. And uh, anyway, Yeah, that that fence about got me about got me.
Speaker 4: Are you hunting with a twenty gauge turkey?
Speaker 3: Hunt with the twin guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mo out with the twelve hunt with a twelve, twelve hunting with a twenty last year, but usually with a twelve. Okay, what was your favorite hunt from last year?
Speaker 2: Opening day? Last year? I out with my best friend, my cousin Tanner every year, and uh, we've went into the same public piece three years in a row and killed four turkeys out of it. So, I mean, it's pretty good, but it's hard to get to. You got to float upstream and you can't get a big boat in there. And my brother and her other friend went further down and their story gets very interesting. My brother got bit by a snake, but they killed two turkeys. Wow, everything's fine. But anyway back to me and Tanner. The first turkeys that we set up on, you know, they were on the private but they typically worked back into this bottom. Because we've been there, we know the area. Boom right at daylight. That's like, crap, somebody's shut on the private land killed the turkey. First time I've ever heard private turkey land turkey hunters there. It's like, well, all right, so move down the creek bottom to the next knob. Turkey's goblin boom. Another Turkey gets killed, all right, start working further down the creek bottom and I call and Tanner said, Turkey answered you. I said, no, it didn't. He said, call again, He'll hit you again. Called sure enough, across the branch. Turkey gobbled up on a knob. So we start making our way. We cross the strike creek branch. I get to this flat's the prettiest like river bottom ever, lot of little trees. Call Turkey gobbles again, like okay, and we've killed a turkey on this exact spot before. It's a old cut road through here, and it's real thick on this side, and then it opens back up. Well, we get as close as we think we can get to him, and Tanner's supposed to shoot first, so he gets about sixty yards from me and gets so up. I back up, and the whole time we're walking in the leaves at Turkey just he's hearing us in the leaves and he thinks that, you know, we're a group of hens. I get sat down on this little sweet gum tree. Tanner's up there. I can hear the turkey gobble, and he's working his way back down into the bottom from that knob. Well, I'm watching Tanner and I'm calling. He's just sitting there and I see him start bearing down on his gun, so I'm like, this turkey is about to get smoked. Then I see him about a couple of minutes later, he eases off the gun and he looks at me and he does this very slightly.
Speaker 1: Like the.
Speaker 2: Have hunted together a ton a lot. I think he wants me to call. I think the turkey is drifting off, so I just right to my right, and I'm a right handed guy. I thought that is not what he wanted me to do. He's telling me, you shoot the turkey, So no, because it's too thick. But I can hear the turkey drumming, but sometimes it's hard to gauge where they're at exactly. So anyway, I start really looking, and all of a sudden I could see him and he's slipping through here, coming right to me. Hm, whole way just drumming. He comes around there and he gets to about where you are from me, and he's about ten yards from me looking here. He goes, ah, right in my face and my gun sitting like this, and I'm just like.
Speaker 1: Oh, you didn't have your gun picked up no, and I can't move.
Speaker 2: And this is where experience helps. If I'd have been younger, i'd have just tried to swing. But I knew if I just wait, because he's strutting a lot, eventually that thing will turn and when he turns away from me, I can make a big move. So he gets, I mean like five yards from me, and he puts, And when he puts, Tanner calls at the turkey. The turkey calms right back down, and he starts strutting and then he turns completely away from me. And as soon as he turns away from me, I swing, and I have a red dot on my gun and the butt of the gun was on the center of my chest, but I got that red dot on his head, pulled the trigger and he was done at like fifteen yards. That was my best tant last year. Yeah, And last year was Yeah, last year was a good year. It was a little slow compared to normal, but it was good that That is a good story. Yeah, it was a good one.
Speaker 1: That is a good story.
Speaker 2: Bear.
Speaker 1: We know your best story from last year, as you told on the podcast. Yeah, yeah, Bushwhack Turkey was I was hunting public land. I'd found some turkeys on public land. You know, I scattered before I foundin Wait a minute, you can't. You're gonna tell the story. Yeah, you better not tell this one because you're gonna you're gonna tell it for the actual podcast. Oh really yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well I'll tell a different one that happened last year.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I walked about two and a half miles into a spot that I knew was a big bluff and you could hear, like you can see way off there was you know, a big mountain off to the left, and there was a big mountain right in front, and then I was on kind of like the corner of another mountain. So it made it was like a river was flowing and then you know, creek met into it, mountains on all sides of it. So it created this like really big bowl that you could hear really good done into. But it was just like way back there. And so I hiked in there at like eleven o'clock at night because we had had to do something in town, and so I drove out there at night, hiked back in eleven o'clock, stayed the night, and then I woke up that morning and out hooted off this big bluff where you could see real far, you know, expecting to hear a turkey down there in the bottom. And I heard a gobble back behind me about maybe two hundred and fifty yards and so, and I had the self bow. I forgot to mention that I had a self bow, and I was hunting with a decoy. So I had like a backpack with you know, Dave Smith decoy in it. And so I go back over to where I heard that gobble and I get about one hundred yards from where I thought I heard it. I set out the decoy and I called, and two gobblers just light up, like just right there. And so, I mean, I was thinking it's perfect. I got buried back in a cedar tree and I kind of broke some limbs and had the hind decoy out ten yards from me, and those gobblers were just like goblin. And I only called once, and you could just tell they were just out there strutting and they were just like getting upset, but I couldn't. They just wouldn't break, and after a little while they quit goblin, and so I just kind of sat there and was gonna wait them out. I actually think I texted you. I think you were on the Meat Eater tour. You're on the Live tour. Oh yeah, And I texted you. It was like, I've got some birds out here that I'm waiting out. And I waited for probably a good half hour and they didn't come, and so I gave just like a couple of real soft calls and scratched the leaves and I never heard them again. Okay, so the gobblers were gone. And I waited there for about a full hour never saw them. So I start walking back kind of towards my truck because it was just a one day hunt, and I get to this saddle that was just covered in turkey tracks and I'd seen deer going through there and I've seen bear tracks in there, so it's just like a good spot for critters to be. And uh, I called a little bit just to see if I could hear anything. And I set out the decoy and sat next to a tree and waited there for a while, and eventually I was like, well, i'll take an It was late morning, and I was like, I'll take a nap, and then I walked to the truck because you know, it's a long way, and so I fell asleep, and I don't know how long I was asleep, but I woke up because I was hearing something that I thought was like a woodpecker hitting my tree that I was on, And that's what I thought whenever I was like half asleep, I was like, I heard the recollection of this story, and uh so I kind of like wake up. And as I started to like kind of come to like you know, the transition from like sleeping and thinking you hear something to like reality, I realized, that's a turkey like right next to me. What was he doing?
Speaker 3: It was a hen?
Speaker 1: And so I like rolled over and there was a hen like three yards from me, just clucking, walking looking and clucking. And I had that decoy out there, and uh anyway, she just kind of walked on by and I went back.
Speaker 3: To the truck.
Speaker 1: Never heard the goblins and never heard the gobblers. Never heard the gobblers, but I took a nap into hen. I thought you were going to say that the hen was pecking on your o sage self, bow, I bet I know where where he was at. You recognize that spot why he described this and this and this and bear tracks and that sad though, ye.
Speaker 3: Your spot burned by most shepherd spot burned. That's really good turkey spot in the camera.
Speaker 1: What's your Do you have like a favorite story that you would tell that that like just to have to tell one.
Speaker 2: I have a lot of I mean I have turkey hunted. It's always involved my cousin Tanner, so I grew up turkey hunting. My uncle is like Panner's dad is like the best turkey hunter right now. Like whenever you think of someone who's killed a lot of turkeys and know what they're doing, woodsman, think of my own said, Well, Brian owns a dairy farm in Missouri, and that's where I cut my teeth and learn to turkey hunt first. And a dairy farm is not the public land that you guys start talking about. I mean it was good turkey hunting and I haven't hunted there in years, you know, kind of leave it for the kids. And like my wife and Tanner's wife, well, me and Tanner we were driving around the dairy farm one time and there's a big sycamore tree off the corner of this road and it's right before dark and we've seen some turkeys in that tree, and we said, we're gonna kill these turkeys, and I wanted to kill a turkey with my bow. Never killed a turkey with my bow. Don't recommend bow hunting for turkeys, but I wanted to. I was like, I think it was a freshman in college. So anyway, we get back to the house. We're like, we're gonna set up down here. Brian's like, are you sure those are turkeys? She said, yeah, that was turkeys, so okay, so he calls it a covert night mission. You go way after dark and we set up a blind for my bow. Okay, got the blind all set up. We're like, man, those turkeys are gonna fly down in this bottom and there, so they're gonna get it. Well. The next morning, as it started to get daylight, there were turkey buzzards. They were not turkeys, but happenstance down the creek there was two turkeys goblin. So we started calling lo and behold here these two toms come. I draw back and I shot its head off with my bow. That was cool. So anyway, we're like high five and everything's awesome.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: We go back to the house and in Missouri you used to have to stop hunting at one so Brian was like, hey, you guys, there's a lot of time left. You and ten or go try to shoot another one. So we just hung my turkey up in the tree by the house. We go and we go get set up over on the other end of the farm, and we fall asleep for like hours. We wake up because a turkey gobble. I heard a turkey gobblins. Wake up, Tanner, there's a turkey. There is no turkey.
Speaker 1: Now, y'all back in the blind.
Speaker 2: A different different spot, no, a different part of the farm. Gotcha, well, lo and behold a turkey starts gobbling his absolute brain off. I'm every breath. I've never heard a turkey gobble this much. Just Andy Brown would say, and oh what to goblin he'd done. And I'm telling you, Tanner, you know with he we grew up. You know, it's like, wait, we call, he knows where we're at. The turkey's gonna come up here. And it was like twelve forty five and I told Tanna, I said, Tanner, let's go kill that turkey. And he's finally he was like, okay, we'll go kill him. So we start off towards this turkey and we start going down this little path and I'm when I say he's gobbling every I mean legitimately, so we know right where he's at. So we keep slipping and so Tanners in front of me and he goes I see him, and all of a sudden, you start hearing this, like, what in the.
Speaker 3: World is it?
Speaker 2: This bald eagle is dive bombing this tom And that's what that turkey's gobblin that the whole time. Just Tanner slipped up there and rolled that dude. We got a picture of both of us with them two turkeys. Really, yep, yep, his turk I'll never forget. The turkey's head was purple from from being frustrated. I guess it's full on purple. It was not red, white and.
Speaker 3: Blue with bald eagle dive was.
Speaker 1: I thought you were about to say you got a picture with both of them talking about the bald eagle and no, no, I actually thought the turkey that he shot the head off was going to like come back to life, said riding the tree.
Speaker 2: Nope, nope, that trust me, he was not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: Wow, I've never I've never heard of a bald eagle. Do you think he was? I mean he was trying to catch that.
Speaker 2: Back same year, Brian Fat my uncle Brian. He found a dead gobbler with big towns in it. Huh a bald eagle. Yep, thanks a lot, America.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hmm hmm. Mo, what's your what's your what's your best best story? And you've told us several on the podcast, but like if you just had to tell one, because I've only got I've got one turkey story that I tell and I've told it so many times I'm not gonna tell it today. But my lightning bird story, sneaking up on the bird and of pouring rain and just kind of you know, Bear was with me the night before. It's like everything was just perfect. Well, what's the best what's the best turkey story that you are? Your favorite?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 3: I got to think through about two hundred of them, so yeah, yeah, yeah, but I guess I guess one of them would involve another story of not killing a turkey, if that makes sense. It was on a youth hunt. I took a kid, a young man on the youth hunt, and we went into a spot we actually went into a walk in area where you had to walk in, and asked him if he could do it. Yeah, I can do it. I'm fine, you know. So we went into the walk in area, got in there daylight, heard a couple of birds, but they didn't respond much. So we walked and we walked and we called and we walked. I think we stopped and eat some snacks and stuff. And it was getting on up late morning, probably ten or eleven o'clock, and I said, let's go around into this big hollow around here, and there's a couple of short ridges runs off. I said, a lot of times they'll be in there during the middle of the day. And sure enough, we got around there and I called and I heard a turkey. Then I heard another one, then I heard another one, and they were all in the same area. And I said, well, let's get right here on this little point. I said, you sit right here in front of me. And I didn't want him out of my he was he was, he was. I mean, you know, he had these hunter's head and all that, but I still want him right there close to me. So he was probably five foot in front of me against the tree, and I was right behind him in another tree. And I started working those birds, and then they congregated together like they do sometimes kind of together, but they were still separate on a couple of little ridges, and I'll forget. They just hushed up for a while, and I remember him kind of looking over his shoulders saying that. He said, where'd they go? And I said, they're still down there. I bet, I said, this way, we're gonna be patient. I don't remember how long it took, but finally one of them got fired up again, and then all of a sudden, I heard, like, you know, it's like three of them in a row, just ma'am. And they were sound like they were together then. So I was thinking, well, they made us be big Jake's, you know. I thought, well, still a Jake's, you know, legal for a kid here in Arkansas. And so I kept working them, and then I seen him come up on the ridge. Blow him down there, blow us. And it was three big old longbeards, I mean, dandy turkeys, and they just started working away. They'd kind of do like they do, they'd kind of pop at each other, you know, pop through. I know, everybody's turkey and see him, they'll popp at each other and they'll go back to strutting, and oh yeah. And it took a long time. Finally they got up there and I was watching him. He got his gun up on his knees and stuff, and they got closed. They was probably thirty thirty five yards of us, and they was right in front of him. I thought, he's got to have his gun right on one of them. And I waited till they kind of separated a little bit, and I thought, well, he's surely going to kill one of them, you know. And I just what I call I don't call it a putt or purd or whatever. I've done like three fast purse to make them raise their heads up. And I'd done that and they raised their heads up, and I was watching him this whole time, and I was ready for him to just go like that and shoot. Well, his gun was right there like this, and when I went pur purp like that, they raised their heads and I think they all three gobbled in unison, you know, and boom he shot. He did anybody's head down. He shot plum over the top of the turkeys, and they took off a flying run and took out of there. And I sat there for a little bit and I he's down their team, I said, I said, I guess you didn't get one of them, did you? He said no. I said, I don't know how I missed. I said, which one was you aiming at? And he said there a little bit, he said, I think the one in the middle. I said, where was you aiming at? He said, I think I never did look down.
Speaker 2: My sight.
Speaker 1: And you said, I think you're right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And we laughed about it. But it was a good lesson for him. And then I took him on hunts after that and he killed turkeys and stuff, so that was kind of a lesson for him too.
Speaker 2: So you talked about that them turkeys goblin like that with me and Tanner went to Nebraska one time and got permission from this farmer. He said, there was turkeys in this creek bottom right before dark. And you know we talked about earlier. Al hooton, Man, I am just hooting my brains off at the top of this regie. Nothing turns out bart Alis don't live in Nebraska. I would have thought that a turkey would gobble at that, but man, I was hooting my brains out. They would not answer me. Al hooting, how'd you get him to how'd you get him to gobble? That coyote? Howled at him.
Speaker 3: It was just it was just that's why they wouldn't gobble.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I'm glad Mo's not a judge. Yeah yeah, but man, that I've never heard, so, I mean, it was just right on top of each other. Yeah, and they've kind of gobbled weird out there. Yeah then Rio Mary, Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: I want I want y'all to give me your your your best tip. So there's a lot of a lot of podcasts that you go and you'd get hunting tips. And I listened to some of those, and I like hunting tips. So we don't usually do a lot of like how to stuff on here. But uh, Cam, what would you what would you if you were just giving a turkey hunter just a nugget of wisdom? What would you say to him and don't give me this generic stuff like just be patient and.
Speaker 2: Well I'll tell you this. Okay, I got two things. Okay. Number one is boot leather equals beards. Okay, I gotta walk, you gotta go. If you don't go, you're not gonna get him. This only way you learn is to hunt a lot of turkeys.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Number two is pattern your gun. If you don't pattern your shotgun, I mean, my buddy Dusty, his dad, he missed like four turkeys in a row, So what is wrong with you? We shot his gun and it was like, oh yeah, you can't hit anything. What was it doing his choke to He was shooting like a modified choke and it was just too open. And at forty yards he just you know, wouldn't didn't have enough shot out there.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep.
Speaker 2: But that's my two tips.
Speaker 4: What distance do you pattern your gun at?
Speaker 2: Thirty five yards is where I pattern my gun. I feel like that gives me the best uh room for it. I don't know, Like I like a pretty more medium medium distance. Yeah, I like a pretty uniform, you know pattern. I shoot a red dot a lot of times, so it's pretty easy to side it in, and I like, you know, I don't know, some people like shoot at the neck. I like to put that dot right on the white cap that turkey's head. And so it's like I'm splitting the difference where some of the pattern goes highest, some of the pattern goes low, but the dead center it goes right where that turkey's head is. M m yep, Okay, I agree with you on that.
Speaker 3: That's what I do is thirty five yards? Yep. Anybody that I haven't helped pattern their shotgun, I want them to shoot a thirty five yards yep yep.
Speaker 1: What's your tip?
Speaker 5: Mo?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: My main tip would probably be go when you can and don't do not go because of the weather. Do not not go because of the weather, because every time you're out there, that may be the time you get your turkey. You know, whether it's raining, whether the wind's blowing, no matter what's going on. You can get frustrated when you hunt in different kinds of weather. But believe me, if I had not hunting because of weather conditions, there'd be a lot less turkey beards at my house.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And keeps people out of the woods.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean a lot of times people don't go when it's so that's a good point there too. And then the other thing I agree with Cam on that is is don't be afraid, especially if you're hunting public land. You know, when you're limited private land, and like I said, I don't hardly ever hunt it. I'll take kids on it sometimes and stuff, but when you're on public land, just make plans to wear them boots soles out and just keep traveling, keep going and yep. And one other tip I will say is whether you're on private land or whatever, when you go into place. So many people I've hunted with or take with me. We'll go into a place, hunt our way all the way into place, end up place into place, and then I say, well, we you know, we ain't heard anything. Well let's go back to the truck. Let's go back to where we're at. I said, well, let's go back, But I said, let's hunt the same way we came in here.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: I don't have many turkeys I've killed come right at the exact same area I went in on.
Speaker 1: And a turkey maybe maybe heard you hur came in there.
Speaker 3: Later, had hens with him, wasn't interested at the time. Yep.
Speaker 1: That's good tip.
Speaker 3: And and in my opinion, that's what a lot of people make mistakes. They go into place hooting or doing some calling or anything. They just haul butt out of there and go right back to where and go and then go somewhere else. Like I said, I've killed a bunch of turkeys on my trips out.
Speaker 1: Great tip. That's a great tip. I'll tell you what my I have two tips.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: The first all of me is uh, is go with Loe or cam or bear.
Speaker 2: No, it is uh.
Speaker 1: It's partially the bootleader of the thing. But half a turkey hunt is just finding the turkey that you can call in. Yes, So you know, you might be hearing a turkey gobbles head off and he won't work, he won't work, he won't come, he shuts up, he goes the other way, and you know, you might mess around with that turkey for forever. And depends upon how much land you've got to hunt, if you're on public and or whatever. Half the time it's it's it's no one when to just keep moving because you might find one that's real hard to work. But over two ridges from there, you call and there's one eighty yards away that's just begging to come in. So you know, just finding because there's some turkeys that you're just not gonna kill that day. You know, you're just you're just probably not gonna kill him that day, And no one when that turkey is that turkey is a hard one, you might come back the next day and kill him. Just find my second tip. And this this is more of a I mean, I think for like a new hunter that's just trying to understand turkey hunting is that it's all about positioning and location. And so if you hear a turkey gobble and he'll enter you, but he won't come, what you got to do is reposition yourself in another location and call at him there and see if he'll come. And you know a lot of times you might reposition two or three times and finally you get in a spot and a little time has gone by, and I mean, he just comes right in, but it's after you've messed with him. So I mean, it's like if you were just explaining turkey hunting to someone, you would say, the turkey's gobling and making noise, and you know where he's at, but he won't come. Well, go to point B and try to call him there. Go to point C, and I mean, you know, that's obviously with a turkey that's being vocal but probably got hens or sometimes they don't have hens in there. Sometimes I'm surprised that the lone gobblers that either are hunted or for whatever reason just don't storm men like they're supposed to. But finally you get the right set up and bam, well.
Speaker 3: They're not supposed to storm in in the natural world, the hens come to them, right, That's what happened most time. But they they're in competition for those hens, so they may set that. I think that's why they sit there in a spot like a place they like the strut on a little flat or a glade or a saddle or wherever. They'll get in that spot after they fly down, and they'll sit there and gobble. How many times have you've done that? And they'll gob and God will never come in, and then eventually they come in. I think that's why they're sitting there. They're waiting for that hen that they heard it fly down to come to them.
Speaker 2: Another thing, if you hear turkey's goblin in one spot a lot and they shut up, and you're sitting there and you're trying to play the patient game, and you're just sitting there. Most guys, after a while, see I want to go know where that turkey was, And you'll walk up there and then you'll hear and the way he goes, now fly off, that didn't go anywhere? What's it?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: You've I've heard tons of people say, like, what's the turkey got to do? Survive? Period? I mean, they're just chilling. They're doing their thing, you know. And like you said, you can reposition a lot of turkey hunting and killing a turkey is once that turkey gets interested enough, he becomes very vulnerable. And it don't matter what the way he said that, he becomes very vulgar. Yeah, it don't matter. In my opinion, every turkey has his day. It don't matter how hunted they are. If you can eventually he's gonna say, yeah, I'll go see what she looks like. You know what I mean, don't. That's just my opinion. Moe might think something different, but that's what I kind.
Speaker 3: Of agree on that. And another thing is when when a turkey gets like you say, and when he sits there and says there and he shuts up a lot of times, I'll be patient. I'll wait, But then if he don't never open back up again. Say this is eight o'clock in the morning. Say you know it got daylight at six thirty or seven at eight o'clock. I've not hurt him anymore except right after daylight when he flew down. If I don't get him to respond to him a lot of times, what I'll do I'll get up from that spot, and I'll leave. I'll go around the mountain somewhere else if I've got the opportunity to see if i can get a good OBL fired up. I usually wait anywhere from two to three hours. Then I'll go back to that exact spot where I was sitting before, and I'll sit down and I'll just make a few soft calls. And I've killed a bunch of big toms. You do that still wouldn't gobble, And the next thing you hear is that'd be right on you.
Speaker 1: So he was hearing your call early but had hens.
Speaker 3: Or which you just didn't want to move yep. And then like where he was, like where he was staying. That's what I'm saying. The big especially, I think them four and five year old toms have got places that they don't want to do nothing but destruct there. Yeah, and I've killed them that that is gobbled when I've made those soft calls. Yep.
Speaker 2: Soft calling kills a lot of turkeys. Yeah yeah, but that yeah, soft calling kills turkeys.
Speaker 3: And like I said, I've killed a lot of midday gobblers, midday, mid afternoon that I messed with that morning and they would never respond. They gobbled, but they would never come towards you or anything and go back to them places later in the day, whether it's at nine o'clock eleven o'clock to an afternoon whatever, You've got time to do it. But that's why when I go turkey hunting, turkeys don't have no timeframe. They got all day and the next day or the next day. We're on a timeframe. I've got to go back to work tomorrow, so I got to get this turkey called in today. Yeah, So I think of that, and I also think of he's talking about tips. So I'm going to spit this one out there. When I first hear a turkey gobble, and if he's close enough, I'm going to set up before I ever sit down. I look all around. I think, if I was a turkey, where would I want to come into and strut where this hen can see me? And that's where I set up facing and about halftime they come around behind you or something other. Bit. But it pays awful lot to think that way. I think, think what you think that turkey might want to do, because they don't like really thick stuff, and they'll they'll make you drive you crazy. They'll come through the briers and stuff. You can't even walk through something. Yeah, the majority of the tire, man, I think of that.
Speaker 1: So last year I learned a lot on one gobbler and it was because the woods were open and I kind of got lucky and saw it. And here's what happened. I'd hunted all day. It was in Tennessee. It was opening toy at Tennessee, and ITED been on birds that morning but never could get him in. And that afternoon, at four thirty in the afternoon, I was on the point of this ridge and called. At four thirty in the afternoon, one gobbled and you know, within two undred fifty yards, and I was like, that's encouraging. I thought, maybe you just shot gobbled at the hen and maybe wasn't that interested in coming. Set there for probably a minute and kind of figured to where I'd said if he answered again, but wasn't. Still wasn't that worried about didn't any of them? I call and you know, he's one hundred yards closer, and I say, man, I better sit down. So I sit down on the point of this ridge and it's just the most probably the prettiest spot I've ever killed a turkey because the ridge this point fell off in this big bottom and you could just see for a long ways and some big open woods, and uh, I called again. So he's got with three times now, and I'm set up and directly I see him, and he's about one hundred yards, but I can see him through the woods and he completely shuts up at one hundred yards, but I can see him. If I hadn't been able to see him, it's possible in the afternoon, I would have got Yeah, I just I would have lost interest it just thought it wasn't going to happen. He absolutely quit gobblin. He got with three times, but I saw him, and he stayed out there and shrutted at one hundred yards for I'm gonna say twenty minutes and never said a word. And I even got to where I would I had a decoy set out there and just right in front, like five feet in front of me. You know, I really wasn't planning on using it, but I just kind of stuck on the ground, and uh, he strutted, strutted, strudded, strutted. I'd call, he wouldn't answer and find and he was strutting around where he was going to get out of sight of me and kind of get in behind me. And basically after about twenty minutes of strutting, when he when when I felt like he was about to get away from me, I just felt like he came in from behind me, or if he just circled around, he was going to get away from me. I started calling real aggressive and uh, and he broke and just came in on a string after twenty minutes of being completely silent and uh. But anyway, I think if I hadn't seen that turkey, I probably wouldn't have killed it because I would have thought.
Speaker 3: He wasn't interesting and he's gone on I tried.
Speaker 1: To move in, I would have been like, oh, man, he's down there two hundred yards if we just get sixty yards closer, and I would have bumped him, because that's when you've heard it, yep, because he was just right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But uh, but he struted t trut is threaded, and then I got real aggressive with him, this kind of a last ditch effort, and man, he just broke strut and just came right to me. And I killed him on that first st at four thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was an afternoon. My whole life. I had to stop hunting at one in Missouri, you know, yep, traveling to turkey hunt, I've killed turkeys in like eight states, I think, the afternoons where you can hunt all day. I've killed more turkeys out of state in the afternoon than I have the morning. Really, yes, because they they've done their dance, you know, the girls have left, and I don't know, I just find more alone turkeys in the afternoon. Probably not as vocal, no, but whenever they are vocal, you can kill man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And probably eighty percent of the turkey hunters d out of the woods in the afternoon.
Speaker 2: Hundred percent. Yeah, it's funny. The one turkey I killed in Mississippi the first day, Tanner and I hunted all day on this public plan. We got back to the hotel we were staying at, and earlier that morning we had met these two guys from Arkansas who said, yeah, we hunt here every year. And we got back to the hotel and one guy was and that he was out there.
Speaker 1: Setting the hotel six hotails. Not advisable, No, no, don't.
Speaker 2: You don't want to get some sort of disease. But anyway, we got back to the room and he was standing outside his door and he said, where you boys been And Tanner said. Tanner said, well, we hunted. He said you hunted all day. Said yeah, that's the only way you can. I don't know, that's the only way I've dumb enough to get them. You just got to keep going, keep going, You're more likely to get them, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they were like, man, we do.
Speaker 2: At the ten o'clock he said, you hunted all day.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, you don't realize what you uh, what you've got until you don't have it. I figure Missouri turkey hunters going out of state being able to hunt all day.
Speaker 2: Or like this is this is awesome, man, Yeah, one hundred yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, I like a turkey hunt when you are that's all you're doing. I enjoyed. I enjoy a local turkey hunt where you're just going out for a couple of hours, which I know you've done a lot of mode just just just going out close to the house a couple hours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you how much time, but it's still like fun, go when you can go.
Speaker 1: But it's also I love it when you are somewhere and you're there for three or four days and you're there to turkey hunt, and you can hunt all day and yeah, if you can just not need that validation of a gobble every ten minutes, you can kill them in the afternoon.
Speaker 2: Well, in Mississippi, we didn't hear any gobbles nothing. I mean, it was just I think the day I killed the turkey, we walked eleven miles. Yeah, wow, I mean just but hey, we killed them.
Speaker 3: I give you another tip on public land.
Speaker 1: No, we don't want to give them too many tips. Let's start. Let's start killing our turkeys.
Speaker 3: That most of them don't hunt that hard. But like you're hunting on public lands and where and say you go in, go into the spot of the morning, you're driving down the roads and of course there's side roads and gated roads on public land everywhere. You know you see vehicles park people hunting. You know it's got there earlier or whatever. And something I've done my whole life is if I go in and place three or four days and I see a vehicle there, the same vehicle three four days, I will go back sometime another later in the season or whatever for these people were hunting. If there's no vehicle there, I'm gonna go in there because they didn't kill all the turkeys in there. They're hunting in there every day for a reason, because there's a turkey they let them do. You're scouting for you, some don't go in on somebody. Yeah, you know, but I've killed a lot of turkeys that way by seeing where other vehicles were parked and then not even ever scattered in there and going there. And I've killed a lot of turkeys doing that, and especially going in there midday afternoon hunting like cams talking about it and then places and I've even done that where I went to another spot and come back in this vehicle, be gone at ten or eleven o'clock in the morning, I was gonna go somewhere. Well, if they didn't kill a turkey in here, or if there's more than one turkey in here, I'm gona see what's going on going on, and I'll go in that place and hunt. And then I'm scouting it while i'm hunting too, so I know it better, especially when you're traveling somewhere on public land that you've never been before. Yeah, I've done that a lot over the years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep. When you're out of state going and it's like you know, you don't have permission anywhere, you're just hunting the public. Like he said, seeing where the cars are tells you a lot of information. Number One, you could say, like he said, there's turkeys here. You'd also say, let's go to another place find some. I don't know how many times just I mean you name the place Kansas. I shot a lot of turkeys in Kansas. You'll see cars parked at these walking hunt areas. You'll drive and drive for hours. Before you used to be able to hunt wherever. Now you had to draw a specific zone in Kansas. I mean not being afraid to just take off and go in any direction wherever.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: So many times killed turkeys doing that, just getting away from the people, yep, yep.
Speaker 1: Well, Mo, you just confirmed what Gary Nucomb always taught me. And if you were following Gary Newcomb's truck and you're trying to do that, you would have been guar hold because Gary neukemb would park. He would go out of his way, never park anywhere near where he was hunting. I mean like paranoia, like never park anywhere near where you're hunting. Park somewhere way off, or have like a secret trail that you can pull off the road like you know you brush. Yeah, well, hey this has been awesome. Yeah, so this is a Turkey Week at Meat Eater, A bunch of stuff for sale for.
Speaker 4: Sure, tree Line Turkey Vest.
Speaker 1: Oh, I gotta show him that Turkey best bear, go get that Turkey Best. It's hanging over there, First Light. It has a new Turkey vest and uh, these Phelps calls, there's gonna be lots of turkey stuff for sale, but uh, this is this is my new turkey vest. Cumbers there, yep, tree Lined Turkey Vest.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: It's uh, it's it's kind of a slim down version of these big you know, back back in the day Turkey Best were huge and just were like big bulky things. This is like trim down. But it's also got a back where you can carry uh some water snacks or jacket. I mean, you know, like you know, you got a pretty good size back, put some TP in there. Yep, that's right. But you could also stuff a bird right right there in the back, or stuff a d coy. You wouldn't carry around very many of them. But anyway, that's First Light's new tree Line Turkey Vest Inspector. It's got the little adjustable seat on it, and h I love that thing. Soe man, it's gonna be a good season. Appreciate it, guys. Karen, thanks a ton coming up, man, Thanks for inviting me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you think of alhu would translate on the podcast?
Speaker 4: I think it's worth a try about turkey calls.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we're gonna have a little We're gonna have a little little calling contest here. I don't know how we're going to decide who's the best.
Speaker 4: All that side.
Speaker 3: Let Josh be the judge, okay, and.
Speaker 4: Fade is in my hand.
Speaker 2: What do you want, like, uh, like a scenario the Grand Nationals?
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll start with camp.
Speaker 2: Oh you want me to do it? Okay? What what scenario you want me to do?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Waking up on the limb.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's do that. Let's do that.
Speaker 1: Okay, wake welcome hand on the limb the limb. Okay, do you understand scenario?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: And not?
Speaker 1: I mean I'm not a super experienced tree color, so I'm not super familiar with that.
Speaker 2: That's just like a tree yep.
Speaker 1: And then he flies down like what it would sound like if a hen was roostered over you and the sun started to come up.
Speaker 3: And she's waking up. The world knows pass the old big Tom over there where she.
Speaker 1: Saw few ELPs and then some big place. Tell me you're the artist. This is your canvas. Brother. Mmmm mmmmmm okay, great, great, Uh I need uh, I need something here, guys, hold on your second on a gray Beard.
Speaker 2: You're gonna get a wing.
Speaker 3: Come on, come on, gray Beard, nukes getting gray light.
Speaker 4: Oh the multimedia realism. Okay, all right, well you're up.
Speaker 3: You want my hat?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't need he doesn't need it.
Speaker 3: If you got to beat your head and you make him think you're turkey flying that.
Speaker 4: Beautiful.
Speaker 1: That was good, well, gentle beautiful.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna give that win. Drummer, Wait, have a drum roll here?
Speaker 2: Oh I thought we were gonna do.
Speaker 1: I can't remember multiple snaps I saw.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Scenario okay, this is like a hot tom coming in a hot time, a hend houlding.
Speaker 4: What's a good scenario?
Speaker 2: Good fall, gobbler flock, fall, gobbler flock, get into a fight, they break up, and they recon congregate. This is grand national stuff.
Speaker 3: Have you ever had in the fall play? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, hmmm, wow, so was that supposed to be uh.
Speaker 3: Gobbler, that's that's a group of goblins.
Speaker 2: That's a group of gobblers. Yes, they get into a fight that was good, and they kind of in the fall. You'll hear them do that key key run. That's like a lost turkey.
Speaker 3: And you'll hear you'll also hear that when they're breaking up in the spring, if they're picking order figure out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes they will that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, Yeah, I've heard that.
Speaker 2: Yeah a lot.
Speaker 1: All that. I'm not sure I'm going to be much of a competition here. I mean, all that I've done is key key running them when you broke them up back when we had a fall season. I never killed one, but boy, I sure.
Speaker 4: Let me hear you that's good. Yeah you want in on this one.
Speaker 1: I can't do a Kiki run with this call.
Speaker 4: Let me hear the best you got.
Speaker 1: Let me hear you try that Clay New Coombe signature series. You got the Clay newkemb signature series. I got the package. We can't open shows. The winner gets this.
Speaker 3: Oh I'll be not. I'm gonna show that my wife when I get home.
Speaker 4: Okay, let me hear it, Let me hear you Kiki no, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna. I'm gonna. Yeah. Oh so you just want the Kiki run just gobbler things.
Speaker 4: You can do that too. I'm enjoying this.
Speaker 1: I like kind of a core. Can you gobble it?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 1: Oh dang? What did you do?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: Put it in front of your mouth?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What kind of calls up?
Speaker 2: This is my all time favorite call. Well. I don't know if you can. I talk about it on this podcast. It's a rolling thunder Kevin Taylor collection. Nice. So what would you do?
Speaker 1: You put it up?
Speaker 2: I put it on my well and I kind.
Speaker 4: Of blowing in or sucking in, be blown out or sucking in?
Speaker 1: Now what are you doing?
Speaker 3: Like he's just puffing air crossing there. Yeah, I can't do it, but I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: Can't do it.
Speaker 3: I gotta nephew, can do it?
Speaker 1: I can't. I'm sorry, I can't do it.
Speaker 2: I mean, And then a lot of guys though like, yeah, yeah, yeah, do that, But I think it sounds better the other way. That sounds good.
Speaker 1: Can you gobble with one mo?
Speaker 3: Not very good?
Speaker 1: Can you gobble one not?
Speaker 4: With one of these?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah?
Speaker 3: You really want to sound like a jake when you're gobbling one hundred percent. Yeah, weaker bird, weaker birds. So I'm gonna try if I get that this, I ain't never tried this. Call what he was doing or with the Gobbler scenario.
Speaker 1: Fight. Oh that sounds good. So it's hard to pick a winner.
Speaker 4: I bet Josh, it is hard to pick a winner. Everybody's a Winneray for real?
Speaker 1: Would you would you try these out? If I gave you pack up? Yeah, I got I got one for you. Well, i'll give mo I want you to have that you can, Uh, you tell me what you send.
Speaker 3: I'll send you a picture of got my hand on the pack I'll give you. I'll send you, I'll send you bring with one. I'm in my but I'm not gonna use that clay nuke and one. They don't look very good.
Speaker 1: Uh, Well, did you have a winner or no? I don't want to steal the winner, but it feels like it's kind of tough.
Speaker 6: I felt no offense. Second place, but that was pretty good. Cameron had a good one there.
Speaker 3: All right, he was really good.
Speaker 1: Where's our applause?
Speaker 4: On?
Speaker 1: There? It's the lower right hand button, didn't it? No? No, hold on, hold on, hold on the hunh good job, Camp, Congratulations, congratulations.
Speaker 4: The crowd just has gone wild the Bear Grease Grand.
Speaker 1: National Champion voting.
Speaker 3: If I was voting on him, get me, I'd vote him as a winner, and mainly because he was really good on that Gobbler pecking order stuff. I mean, he's done it perfect.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well, thanks guys, good luck this season. Keep the wild places wild, because that's where the Bears do