Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club Boys.
Speaker 3: This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Danny McCrae, Heckma Harrison and new he Strugs.
Speaker 4: Players loud right for the whole New Cat since.
Speaker 5: The bye week is here, No Barry Church.
Speaker 4: And I really wanted to talk to Barry because Barry's all been about he said Justin Herbert was going to be a top five m VP guy and Kellen Moore's showed Mike McCarthy and win. So I don't get talked Jesse, Jesse, I don't get to talk to Barry this week. But you know how Barry is about these things. He's got these these these these I believe this and I'm gonna stand on it. And I didn't get a chance to talk to him because I was doing baseball. But It's okay.
Speaker 5: Craig not here.
Speaker 4: Heck move was on the last show, Jesse Holly, former Cowboy player, Harrison Walls, former Cowboy player Justin Barris is here. I'm merely new Scrutch. So this media mash is Uh, this this mash of new media here as we do the players lounge just for this bye week that's coming up here. I'll just go around the table here since we haven't had a chance to just talk at all. Your impressions of the Monday night win against the Chargers.
Speaker 6: I think there's still a term from Dan Quinn gritty but not pretty. It was a gritty but not pretty win. This is more realistic than what this is, what the brand of football and how you win football games. Monday night was more realistic than what you saw even in the even like even in their blowout loss to the Niners, that's not realistic. Football doesn't happen like that, the blowout wins against the Giants and the Jets. Football didn't happen like that weekend and week out. I think this was more of a realistic understanding of how football is being played, and the team went out there, uh and got a gritty victory that they needed. You saw the reactions that they got. You saw Dak was like, thank you. Mike McCarthy was like, yeah, like you saw. You saw those guys, the desperation in that celebration of those guys getting that victory. They knew what it was if you lose two games in a row heading to the bye week, losing to that team so gritty but not pretty. We'll take it four and too heading into the bye week.
Speaker 1: I'll take it gritty. I love gritty. Let me see this, and you know I'm too old for this. Anyway. I enjoy a gritty game. This is a team that needs to win more gritty games. You know what, we're front runners. Let's just say, that's what they call us all over the country anytime we come from a tough team. You know, all of a sudden, we got these problems. All you got the injury here there. You know, we're like a little you know, manicure is not quite right the way you want it to be. Hey man, I see yeah, you know what I'm saying over inside of the table. But anyway, anyway, no, no, but this is the kind of game that we needed to win. This is the kind of team we need to be. I really don't like the fluff. I don't like the blowouts necessarily, because there's always a moment theater where this game could have gone either way ends up being a blowout. I won the game. What we just had the other night to where everything was against us. It was and it wasn't pretty at all. I love gritty. This is the kind of team that needs to be gritty. I always compare what I want for this team to what we are. I always compares to the Ravens, the Titans. They'll go out and win some crazy game. You know how the hell they win that game. I don't know how they won the game. This is the kind of team I want. How they win the game? Man, they they had cohoners, That's how they won the game. That's the kind of team I want. Just what and that's what they want mother night.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think it's a good starting point. And I say starting point because yes, you're six weeks in now, but it gives you a good indication that this team isn't gonna peak out week five of the season, which you're starting to see some things fizzle out a little bit with other teams like the forty nine Ers, the Eagles, no more undefeated teams. I would rather have a starting point of where to work to get better than to say, oh, we're five weeks in, we're on top of the world. There's nothing left to work on. Everything's so good and then you start to see the fizzle out, especially with the back end of this schedule that the Cowboys have. So for me, I like where the team is at. However, there's a lot of room for improvement. Those pre snap penalties, wow, that IRGs and we can talk about that a little later. But I like where they're at. I like the determination. I like the resilience that they showed in this game. But more than anything, what I really like is you're starting to possibly see the offense get their footing, and I think that's they need a matchup with the defense. They need to level out there.
Speaker 1: So I remember, now he is the only gritty person here, you see, everyone else has.
Speaker 6: New He's like what I'm from, the from the jungle.
Speaker 1: Is what it is.
Speaker 4: I remember being in the locker room after forty nine or loss and Tyler Smith said we must respond to this and we will respond. So that stayed in my mind because I thought he was after after a getting punched.
Speaker 1: In his mouth.
Speaker 5: I thought Mike could talked with a lot of pride. CD was frustrated.
Speaker 4: I thought I was kind of came with the we have to respond and that, so I took his comments like that's the one I'm going to key on this week, and that was what I thought.
Speaker 5: They did. Respond, Okay, you got.
Speaker 4: Embarrassed on national television. You're right back on national television. What are you going to do? This is a good quarterback. Here is an offensive coordinator who knows what you do. Yes, there's a head coach who's supposed to be a guru defensively, and they responded defensively. And this was you know, by the way, this was the score they had the last time they went out there, and zerline ended up kicking the game winning field goal to win until twenty to seventeen wins. So this is as you two well know from play, it is not easy to win on the road. This is not college football. That's where sometimes I think cowboy fan gets into it, like it beat them by so so this is not college football.
Speaker 5: Get a win and go home.
Speaker 4: And it came down to the end as it's supposed to in most games in the National Football League. You look at the early lines are usually you know three. I mean, it's not going to be easy, and it wasn't. It wasn't, so they went out there they got to win. I don't think the charge is gonna make the playoffs. I just think they're coaches. I don't think they I think Brandon Staley's bad. I go back into that game and he when he decided to go for the fourth down and Bland ended up breaking it up like take the point, kick the field goal. Yes, I'm like, this is this is gonna be a long game.
Speaker 1: How you know that wasn't a Kellen called because that's something Kellen would do.
Speaker 4: But this is what Brandon Staley was doing before Kellen got there, so this was already his m O.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go for it.
Speaker 4: But I'm just like, man, kick three points and if he does, maybe it's twenty twenty and you're out here kicking kicking the field goal to win the game.
Speaker 5: But this is just who he.
Speaker 4: Is, and I just think it's gonna get in fired. I said it on the players left. Would not be surprised if Kellen Moore is the interim coach at some point in time, because.
Speaker 5: He just I mean, you guys are watching the game, do you watching it? I'm looking at it. There's dumb and there's charger dumb. What are you doing?
Speaker 1: And at the end they're always driving down for the last you know, the last moments, well, I mean preserved to win them.
Speaker 6: They have the most losses by six points or less than any other team in the National Football League. And it was it was a combination of Brandon Stanley dumb and Kellen Moore dumb because you saw the opportunities where you know, Brandon Stanley he wants to go forward and fourth down he's he's been the leader of that analytics things. It says go forward it and then at the end of the game, which has always been my issue with Kellen Moore, think you it happened to us, it happened for us, and and not you know, it happens for us, and it wasn't us doing it to them. Kellen Moore went back to the same old bag. I need a first down? What do I do past I run to the sticks and turn around, And Stefan Gilmore said, not today, my friend?
Speaker 1: Like that is that?
Speaker 6: Like I remember, Kellen Moore is a disciple of Jason Garrett. I remember playing for Jason Garrett. I remember standing there on the side line sometimes and we line up and defensive backs will go here.
Speaker 5: Come the Harvey route.
Speaker 6: They're running to the sticks and I'm like, damn, we we are running the Harvey route, and sure enough you run right to the sticks and stop and people was eat it up alive. And so when you have those combinations of two coaches who who can't balance each other out right, like Kellen Moore can't out coach the stupidity of Brandon Staley, and Staley can't out coach the time the stupidity of Kellen Moore, you end up what you have. You have a team, on paper, is one of the most talented rosters in all of football, with the quarterback who people continue to overvalue and overrate because he is.
Speaker 1: One blame Herbert the way we've always been dumping on Dak in the same situation, same offensive coordinator, the same predictability in the big games that we lose. Why is it that the narrative is so different now that I don't understand because he's still considered top five and Dak is instead of falling.
Speaker 4: I've always said this when I was doing my radio show on NBC Sports Tradio, It's interesting on who we choose to forgive and who we choose to committ.
Speaker 5: Justin's been forgiven. It's this is that is that that it's always Dak's fault.
Speaker 4: One of the things that I found very interesting from the criticism Dac has gotten this year when I've heard he can't win a big game. So all of a sudden, going to Tampa Bay against Tom Brady's never lost to the Cowboys in his career. That's not a big game. And I learned this from John Madden, the late John Madden, when we were doing these uh we we they would fly NBC with flys all out to l A to go talk to to Alan John and I.
Speaker 5: Was in Romo.
Speaker 1: That's when the money was good. That's when, that's when, that's when, that's.
Speaker 6: When the money when the money was good.
Speaker 5: Right there, Man, network, you fly.
Speaker 1: You'll get a trip. You'll get a trip. You'll get a trip.
Speaker 6: Now they're like, uh, we're gonna send.
Speaker 5: One of y'all.
Speaker 6: At one o'clock on You got to bring your phone in the tropid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't even get a camera crew.
Speaker 6: Hey, you gotta We're gonna get your four K phone and get your tripad tropod you've been learning to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, So that's what it is now.
Speaker 4: Nobody and so Tony's a quarterback and I asked you, I said, John Tony's got this reputation that he doesn't win big games. He's like, you know what, bothers me, bothers me so much about that? Show me the little game on the schedule. He said, they're sixteen of them. They're all big, And I would go back to this year's game against Arizona. A lot of Cowboy fans thought that was a little game. It wasn't a little game. It was no, no, and and what it could end up being in the stands along the way. There's no such thing as a little game. And they're all big. Even when they talk about, okay, well what did that do this game? Well, the defense he played against the thirty first in past.
Speaker 1: Defense, you still got go out there and pass on them. You still have to go out there and make plays and do your job. To me, that's the professionalism that this team needs to be credited for. I don't care what. We went out there and won the way we were supposed to go win. Everyone doesn't go out there and win the way they're supposed to win. Many times we go out there and we take ask Philly, ask San Francisco about those same things, about what we're supposed to do.
Speaker 5: Dax Sa hasn't touchdown passes dropped on him this year.
Speaker 4: Yes, I know he's sitting here with six touchdowns and four interceptions, but you know, the tight ends had dropped two at least two that I've seen. Gout should have had one Monday night. I thought so along the way, and look, every quarterback goes through this, you know you're gonna have. But that's a part of what's going on here. He's just undeserving of the venom that he gets. And when I hear the he's Kirk Cousins. Guys.
Speaker 5: Now, we didn't go on too far? Are even going too far?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 7: And I think too the way that Dak continues to have faith in his guys when there are drop passes. We talked to Lunda Wells today with earlier he had availability and the faith that Dak still has in his guys. Though you know, there's drop passes within the tight end room, not even just in the end zone, just in general. That's been a reoccurring theme, and he still make sure to go into the tight end meetings. He takes it upon himself to go and establish that chemistry, establish that connection, So that way, that's not an issue anymore. The amount of work that this man does outside of just being the quarterback that he doesn't have to do, He doesn't have to show up on Saturday morning to go do that. He takes it upon himself to do. I think, yeah, knew, you said it perfect. The venom is just so ridiculous. And I knew after that forty nine Ers game. I knew what the media headlines were going to be with the interceptions, and that doesn't tell the whole story of what Dak is doing. And especially going through a new establishment under this West Coast offense, There's gonna be hiccups, there's gonna be growing pains, and I think people forget You're only five weeks into the season at that point.
Speaker 5: But the criticism at the forty nine Ers.
Speaker 1: Game was warranted, Yes, yeah, with warranted.
Speaker 4: One of the things I did that week was I was talking. I was talking to several players and even asked one of the coach are can you put too much into one game?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: No, no, I don't.
Speaker 4: Under saands the measuring stick, Mike says everybody, And and the reason I'm asking it's.
Speaker 1: Like in the back of my mind.
Speaker 5: What if you don't win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like boxing. You don't you talk about your wine, You don't play well at all.
Speaker 4: You co up there look like Ero Spinz, you know, but crawfed.
Speaker 6: That's new he So yeah, getting one top them up a little bit, arrow five.
Speaker 5: And it happens. Stop styles make fights. I mean Ken Norton broke Alle's.
Speaker 4: Oh you remember back in the day, I Ali could not handle nort He just couldn't style Cooper.
Speaker 1: Cooper with the left hand, the left get it right. So so you know, these things happen.
Speaker 4: And that's why I'm like, you guys put so much into this because it's it's October.
Speaker 5: We got a long way to go, got a long way to go.
Speaker 4: And but the criticism, I thought, when you, when you, when you, when everybody talks about it, and Dak talked about it and you have three interceptions, that's not going to get it done. It's just not. And so now to the levels that some people took it too. It's for the former athletes, but that that has to be called out. Because you're making that kind of money, you're expected to perform.
Speaker 1: And he expects to perform. You can tell that he humbles himself.
Speaker 5: And he didn't and and oh, by the way, Michael Parsons didn't.
Speaker 4: I mean, it was a long life. There was a whole lot of folks that didn't get it done that day. But the quarterback is going to get it the three picks. And we could talk about, well the offense isn't here and there, and that's fine, but you got out classed in San Francisco. After saying you're ready for He's like, here we go take threw.
Speaker 1: Down the Gulflet the Cowboys threw down the guard right right.
Speaker 5: Take three.
Speaker 4: We can't get it done. And so you you opened yourself up for it. They opened themselves up for it. They took it, and then they responded against the Chargers. Now can you respond after the bye week, there's a pretty interesting opponent coming up here. Let's dive into the Rams, who won't by the way, are not the same sorry Rams people thought they were going to be to start the season.
Speaker 5: We do that with Jess Everson. Jesse, I'm new he struggs.
Speaker 4: This is the players last brought to you by Tostitos with Dallas Cowboy Stocing Radio.
Speaker 8: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapped.
Speaker 1: The fresh guy who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 6: He escapes left.
Speaker 5: He'll look for a first down.
Speaker 8: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 3: STEP's gonna rub this ship show running up the middle any scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 10: Hi, I'm Danny mccraig, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here. What's Smoothie King? And Smoothie King wants to ask you? What's that sound? That's the sound of you and everyone else? Absolutely loving? New smoothie bowls from Smoothie King and.
Speaker 1: Whoo Me Too.
Speaker 10: These smoothie bowls start with USII and Pataya and are handcrafted with fresh topics like sliced bananas, sweetberries, crunchy purely Elizabeth granola, and a savory peanut butter drizzle. New smoothie bowls only at Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 11: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bowld unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at nflshop dot com, slash Hugo Boss, at Hugo Boss dot com, and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 9: We got big personalities, we got big hair, big bell buckles. We got fans all across as big state and enemies and every other one. We even got a big star on the fifty yard line. Smirnov knows football is a wee thing and experience that is best enjoyed together with good drinks and good folks.
Speaker 10: Home are away.
Speaker 9: We rally together, we cry together, and we always rally cry together because most of all, we got big love for them boys. Smirnoff, we do game days. Please drink responsibly.
Speaker 4: To the players lounge, Players lounge different look today.
Speaker 5: We've got Jestinavares with us.
Speaker 4: We've got Everson Walls, the former Dallas Cowboard defense stand down.
Speaker 5: We've got Jesse Holly.
Speaker 4: Mister forth along joining us right here, another former Dallas Cowboy. All right, So the team's got to buy this week they go into the by four and two. When they come back, it will be a game against the Los Angeles Rams.
Speaker 5: Who are three and three right now.
Speaker 4: In their division. Obviously, the forty nine ers leading the NFC West at five and one. Seattle three and two. Rams are three and three right now. The Cowboys, oh, by the way, oh and two against West Arizona lost to them out there, lost to uh, San Francisco right out there. So here come the Rams a lot better than we thought. And I'm worried about this game. The reason I'm worried about it is Matt Stafford's got Cooper cup back and Pooka Nakula.
Speaker 1: You know who is this guy? You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: They went out there like, who looks like Cooper cupp him him him? What was that movie with the two ladies, uh.
Speaker 5: Where one tried to be the other one? Chris?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 4: I can't remember that single white sing white or something like that that would where you know, that's what they did.
Speaker 5: So they found found he's from the Islands. But yeah, you looked like Cooper cup run like Cooper Cups is dark.
Speaker 6: So that's the black Kirk cousin Pook and the Coola is the black.
Speaker 1: Coat.
Speaker 4: I mean Rick Carlisle got when he first got hired here, but to go, baby, just.
Speaker 5: Like you know what, you know what they say about you. He's like, no, they're calling you Ivory Johnson.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, but Rick, super smart guy, got it to me.
Speaker 5: Okay, but but we kind of had that rep. But this this.
Speaker 4: Passing game that the Rams are gonna bring in here, Uh, they're gonna test the Cowboys. They will test the Cowboys. And and Matthew Stafford, Dallas native, is his Uh, he's slinging the rock. And I give Sean McVay a lot of I thought this team is going to be bad. They're not bad. This is a team that if you are not on point, especially coming out of bye week time, this is a good football team.
Speaker 1: Jess.
Speaker 7: Yeah, No, I think for me the focus is on the offensive line. What the Cowboys offensive line is able to do with another week of building that cohesion and that continuity together because that's been something that they haven't had the privilege to be able to do up until two weeks ago. And so to be able to stand against a firm D line and continue to build that, I think it can only help at this point. And you saw glimpses of it. It wasn't perfect during this last game, but to me, all eyes are on that O line and what they're able to continue to do. It's so important to build that continuity. And now you're five weeks in. Most teams have had the I guess, the ability to do that. The Cowboys are kind of playing ketchup in that department. So I want to see what the O line can do during this game.
Speaker 1: That's a good one. I'm looking forward to, not just the O line, but this is what you touched on coaching. Okay, San Francisco was on coaching this particular game. It was all about coaching. There are certain teams, such as the Rams, when you have a McVeigh who are able to draw up a game plan that can give your team a chance to win. I don't just mean you know everybody does that, but I mean they are specific in what they target they're going to target our defensive line to see if they can run the ball, keep the ball out of our offensive hands. That's what they're going to try and do, and they're going to do their best to stop us from running the ball. There are certain nuances that coaches can find out jesse As you know, that they can hang their head on that can give them a chance to stay in the ball game, to keep the crowd out of a ball game. We've seen it so many times here and this is the wild like last week of this past game, because it didn't matter what the game plan was after a while. This is about punching somebody in the mouth. It's about who's going to react to these unusually big plays that you might not be a to having against you. So how are we going to react from the fact that we may someone may be overly aggressive against us and it's working and we don't know what to do about it. This is the kind of games that we need to really go out and eliminate those causes. We need to be a better coach team and we need to have better responses to whatever we see on the field. So sometimes it's just about the reaction, not about what you go in with, but the reaction to what you see in this particular ballgame.
Speaker 6: One of the things that the Cowboys struggle with defensively a lot is the eye candy and the number two team of the National Football League with pre snap motion, the Los Angeles rams sixty five percent of the time they do pre snap motion. The sixty out of that sixty five percent they're doing motion as the ball is being snapped. That is one of the things that the Boys have to improve on. And when you have these missing pieces, when you don't have the latent evander ushers of the world, when you don't uh, when you don't have the digs of the world, and now guys are being.
Speaker 1: Moved around right.
Speaker 6: You know this defensively when when the number two God becomes the number one God, and the number three God becomes the number two God and number four God. So now you've got these rotation of guys and you're trying to have the proper communication.
Speaker 1: This is the type of offense that you.
Speaker 6: Go on you're going up against where you have to be a signment alignment sound.
Speaker 1: You have to know what the hell you're looking at.
Speaker 6: You have to know what it is before the snap, and you don't sure better know what it is after the snap, because they're gonna be passing guys off through zones and guys that be going one way and come back the other way. Sean McVay is one of those young innovative coaches who have bought into the system of we're gonna call an offense that's going to stretch your defense, and you know, now you're kind of playing Micah back and forth between defensive end and linebackers. This is a lot of movie pieces in UH in this defense. And so I want to I want them to really be able to focus on now this week. There is no work being done this week, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: The guys are gone.
Speaker 6: Rightfully so as they should be right getting their bye week. So when they get back to UH to working next week. This is one of the things that the Cowboys have to really lock in on because they're gonna try to confuse you and and they're gonna try to your.
Speaker 1: Point, Cup.
Speaker 6: They're going to try to make the matchups work in their favorite They're gonna try to get step Fan Gilmore having to run with somebody.
Speaker 1: Stepan gili He's.
Speaker 6: Not good, I said it's to come out of training camp. If he can keep everything in front of him, he's great. If he gotta get on his high if he gotta get on his horse and chase somebody, oh, he's in a.
Speaker 1: World of trouble.
Speaker 4: So just piggybacking on what you two have talked about in the coaching Sean McVay used to work for Shannahans, work right beside Kyle. He's gonna go ahead and get that forty nine to take dive into it. He'll get that Arizona tape and dive into that. Against Arizona last week they blew them out twenty sixty nine. They ran the ball twenty eight times for one hundred and seventy nine yards. So that's talking about the coach. You're gonna attack your where he thinks you're weak.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're definitely gonna get into that.
Speaker 1: So what gets me with the Cowboys though, and I talked about in the other podcast, when do you make your adjustments? It seems like once we have a problem, we don't adjust well in games that we lose. I thought that we would make a better adjustment with San Francisco sooner. You don't have to wait till halftime all the time. Sometimes you can make it after the first drive. I remember sitting there with any stoutings sometimes like hey, guys, we know exactly what they're doing with us. Jenny Stars over there yelling all right, from now on, we're not doing it like this on the flex. We're gonna make an adjustment. They don't make an adjustment, sometimes till the second half, sometimes not. That adjustment doesn't work for the entire game. I would like to see this team say, okay, we can be diverse. We don't have to be this team. Okay in the first quarter. We don't have to be that same first quar team. Second quarter, we're different now because we just made the adjustment. I just don't see that, and maybe I'm missing it because it is very new oced when it comes to adjustments. Whether they keep on doing the same damn thing in the second half they were doing the first half. Who's doing what.
Speaker 4: Rally Days presented by sick Get give NFL fans and experience up a lifetime the day prior to Dallas Cowboys home games on October twenty eighth, enjoy activities at Miller Lighthouse, get behind the scenes tours, of AT and T Stadium and more. Visit att stadium dot com slash Rally days for more.
Speaker 5: And for more information.
Speaker 4: You get your tickets right now, get them to day when we come back. Jess, you were there with the assistant coaches talked today. It was get a little report, give us some nuggets from that. We'll do that next.
Speaker 5: Right here, all the players linus brought to you by Tostinos. This is Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 12: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 8: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapped.
Speaker 6: A presh dout who looks right it's not there.
Speaker 1: He escaped slapped. He'll run for a first down.
Speaker 8: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 3: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 1: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 8: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 11: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bold, unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss, at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 9: We got big personalities, we got big hair, big bell buckles, we got fans all across as big state.
Speaker 1: And enemies and every other one.
Speaker 9: We even got a big star on the fifty yard line. Smirnov knows football is a wee thing and experience that is best enjoyed together with good drinks and good folks.
Speaker 1: Home were away.
Speaker 9: We rally together, we cry together, and we always rally cry together because most of all we got big love for them boys. Smeirenoff. We do game days. Please drink responsibly.
Speaker 1: To the players loud.
Speaker 4: Dallas Cowboys Game Time Power by Lenovo, the official gaming platform and community of the Dallas Cowboys. Sign up now to compete in Madden twenty four for a chance to win two tickets and a VIP experience to a twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: Dallas Cowboys home game.
Speaker 4: Qualifiers begin on October sixth, and they run through the thirteenth. Learn more and register at Dallas Cowboys dot com.
Speaker 1: I'm know, he scruggs.
Speaker 5: This is the players last. We mix things up a little bit here.
Speaker 4: We got two players Jesse Holly Everson Walls play.
Speaker 5: Jessin Barris joined us right.
Speaker 7: Now, and my title off.
Speaker 1: Okay your head to play your head.
Speaker 7: Beautiful singing.
Speaker 5: It is not Please don't do not encourage.
Speaker 1: That always always one. It's always one man, It's always it's always one. I want to bring the brother.
Speaker 5: I know, he's my dude, man, Jason. Yeah, dude, no, Lie, it is. It is a it was a bowl game.
Speaker 1: I want to say.
Speaker 4: It's the Cotton Bowl. Missouri played somebody. And I'm just standing there waiting and the dude starts asking me questions about my column and something I realized.
Speaker 1: He thinks I'm Jason Whitlow.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 5: Damn, I need to get on it.
Speaker 1: Die.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that said you the spin classes.
Speaker 1: Whatever it takes.
Speaker 5: Baby bought a trainer. It's not good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it has That was that was twenty something years Yes, yes, oh my gosh.
Speaker 6: All right between Jason, between the Jason Whitlock comment and the Nate Newton comment, you've been traumatized. We need to sit down. We need to we need to sit you down. I need to take it to my therapy session with my therapist.
Speaker 4: It's like in Houston during the baseball player, you take yourself down, blowing down there. You go take yourself right on down there, pick up some weights and start to do that. So yes, yes, Jess assistant coach talked today, you were there there give me some nuts.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So I think some of the most interesting things that we heard was Aiden Dirty talked about Osa being the unsung hero, not just within the defense right now, but is a locker room leader within the team. He said, the way he goes about things, the way that he helps his teammates around him learn the nuances, especially with the younger group in the locker room, not just in his room, but expanding across really the entire team. He said, Osa is the unsung here. I thought that was a really good little nugget. Lunda Wells talked about the tight Ends room. He talked about those drop passes, so we're touching base on that earlier. He said, you know, they're not satisfied with where they are, and there's some growth to be made, but overall he likes where Jake Ferguson is as this locker room leader for the tight Ends room. He talked about Dak going into the meetings, saying that that's something new because last year the adult and Schultz that would go in and go into the other meetings, not necessarily Dak coming into the meeting. So that's something new that they're doing. Let's see what else we learned a lot today. Those really were like the biggest nuggets that we got out of it, other than we heard Let's see Scott Tolzien talked about Dak Prescott overall and kind of how he's been impressed to watch his growth over the last four years with how resilient he is with handling the media criticism. Specifically, he talked about that too. So there was a lot There was a lot of little nuggets today, but those are the main ones I picked up on.
Speaker 4: I wasn't there for it, but let me ask this was Trey Lance addressed or brought up to Scott.
Speaker 7: He was, and he asked how he was asked how Trey gets reps When you're in the middle of the season, coming in late, you don't have the off season to kind of build that rapport and get that extra work. And in the off season, he said, you take advantage of the reps. You get very similar to what Cooper Rush does. If it's a walk through rep or if it's a random practice rep where guy needs a water break, whatever the case is, you take advantage of those reps and you make them count. And so he said that Trey's done a very good job at adjusting, picking up things and being organized with how he's learning right now.
Speaker 5: Still interesting trade.
Speaker 4: And then just where this thing ends up going, you do need a backup quarterback. And and while Cooper Rush has done a good job, he's getting older. Trey Lance obviously a young player. And if you hit on this then you're looking good.
Speaker 5: If you don't. If you don't, but I'm just gonna be very interesting couping you.
Speaker 4: How does this thing work itself out come next training camp, because that, to me is when the payoff will be of can he work himself to the point to be a backup quarterback for this team?
Speaker 5: You know you're not by you got you got, You've got, You've got to look.
Speaker 6: May hold back, Come on a lot of I'm a lot of I'm a lot of things, Jersey, Because here's my thing. You didn't bring this guy here for a backup ro like you just don't bring that caliber of a play here to say. I like to think if he can make a backup role like we understand that right, like we understand the landscape of how when you look at a player of the number three overall pick, you're not trying to figure out you know what.
Speaker 1: I think he'd be a good backup for Dak Prescott.
Speaker 6: Your thought process is, can we keep the luck of the train moving? This Cowboys team has been very You can call it fortunate, you can call it blessed, you can call it lucky, you can call it whatever you want to call it. But in the last twenty years, to take an undrafted free agent and turn him into a franch Causse quarterback, to take a fourth round pick and turn him into a franchise quarterback, there has been an immense amount of blessings, luck, fortune, whatever you want to cast upon that title.
Speaker 1: This is a train moving piece.
Speaker 6: This is can we have we found the piece to keep the train moving? We're saying third round pick, there's a pedigree in that. Can we can we unearth the talent that a lot of people saw coming out off the quarter North d Quota.
Speaker 1: State, third over third, excuse me, third overall pick? Can we unearth that talent?
Speaker 6: Because let's be frank, and I'm not I have nothing against Dak Prescott, but you in year eight, at this point in time, either you got it or you don't. And with that looming sixty one million dollar tag number that comes with him next year, you have to make a decision. You're either going to extend him or you're gonna take that number and eat that number and say you're gonna play on the sixty one million dollars and then after that, we're either going to let Train Lance be the guy and we're gonna go forward with that, or we're gonna hitch our wagon to you the two or three more years and see if.
Speaker 1: This thing can't go.
Speaker 6: The train Lance wasn't brought here to be a backup. I'm sorry, ladies and gentlemen, you just don't bring a guy of that caliber here to be a backup. You're trying to find out is this the next dude to keep your train of quarterbacks?
Speaker 1: Like I said before, have you wanted keep this thing moving going into the future.
Speaker 5: So let me come back to.
Speaker 4: You on this, Evason, because you played the league with this guy at the time, Steve Walsh didn't work out at Tampa. They ended up taking Vinnie Testaverdy Walt's trades for me backs up Joe Montana for a number of years ended up having a Hall of Fame type career.
Speaker 5: Do you envision him being that kind of player?
Speaker 4: Because when Walsh got Steve Young. He had a whole bunch of wards on and there was people that we don't know.
Speaker 5: How do you see Lens.
Speaker 1: I don't see him as a Steve Young, Okay, I just don't. I see him as a person that could be a very good backup quarterback. That's just the way I see it. They didn't pay much for him, so I don't think they took much of a chance on him. I think he was something that kind of fell into the lap because the forty nine ers felt like they could do bad. Purdy and so Perdy made him disposable. That's what I see. I don't see him coming in here being I know you're not saying this being a threat to Dak necessarily, but like you said, just a it was low hanging fruit. You know, he was there for us and he could. He is very shiny. That's what I like about him. He's very shiny. That's what the cowboys like about him. I just don't see him coming in here to be that Steve Young. If he does, man, God bless us because we could use that. I mean, because if Dak doesn't make it within the next few years and he's still here, then yeah, they might look at him, but I'm pretty sure it's just my opinion that Dak is going to be that guy. He's going to sign another contract here. I believe that. I truly believe that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm right there. I think you didn't lose anything by getting a guy like Trey Lance on your team. You didn't lose anything, but you gain something. You gain a young guy that could potentially come in and take that backup quarterback role here in the next time couple of years. And I say potentially because they put a lot of value in Cooper Rush and what he's been able to do with the opportunity he's gotten. Cooper Rush is a backup quarterback that knows the scheme. He's been through the highs and lows with Kellen and now McCarthy's play calling. He knows the nuances. He he's enthralled in his work environment. Right, And so with Trey Lance, you have a guy that has potential. But is that enough to say anything yet?
Speaker 1: And that's my point, Jess.
Speaker 6: If you have a guy in Cooper Rush right like you're talking, we're talking about backup. So I don't want to hear he's getting older or anything. Like that, because we're not looking him for him to be the future of what we're doing. We're looking for him to the in the event that something happens to our starter, can he step in for a game two, three, five.
Speaker 5: Cooper Rush.
Speaker 1: That's more attractive than Cooper Rush when you talk about it.
Speaker 6: But for everything Jess just said, he's been here. He understands the system, he understands the environment, he understands the players, The coaches know him. You know exactly what you're getting with Cooper Rush. So in the event that something happens, you go, we're good. We got Cooper Rush. He knows us, we know him. I know where I can I know where I can take his talent. I know where he can't go. That's why I look at this and I go, if if if the backup quarterback is your thing, you have one.
Speaker 5: You have one in Cooper Rush. Trey Lance represents the bb D, the bigger better D.
Speaker 1: That's that's that's their whole Say, bb you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: As a man who I enjoy, I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 6: Okay, Okay, you know I mean I leave that to you, youngster. Yeah, y'all, know, y'all know, y'all know. Sorry, wrong, sorry, wrong show, Sorry wrong plays last I'm sorry you were saying bb D.
Speaker 1: Bigger better deal, bigger better deal.
Speaker 4: That's that's what I represent and and this is the the nature of the owner Wildcatter Oil industry.
Speaker 5: Hey, let's go dig right there.
Speaker 4: Let's let's see if we get some some some of that Texas t to come out of that that Trey Lance.
Speaker 5: Well right there.
Speaker 4: If it does, great, If not, as you said, ever since you didn't pay much for it, you're okay. The Niners paint the bulk of it. So that's that's what it is here, all right. As we get closer to end of the show, give me your MVP and the player that's disappointed you so far six games in the year, I will start. The MVP is Michael Parsons. For me, he's not in the defensive Player of the Year conversation right now, the top three. I don't think he is. But for this football team, Micah Parsons is the MVP. When I look at disappointment, I'm looking at the receivers outside of C. D. Lamb, meaning Michael Gallup and Brandon Cooks, who I thought were gonna bring a lot more. And what I saw at training camp I haven't seen in the games. Cooks did look good against the Chargers, but I've needed to see more Gallup. I thought, hey, he's going to be back that we see more. I haven't seen that yet, so that has been a disappointment. Obviously they can turn around, but right now six games in, I thought I would see a lot more from Dak's number two and three wire receivers.
Speaker 5: Jesse, what you got man?
Speaker 10: I am.
Speaker 6: I modeled my life after consistency, and so I'm always looking for guys who can be the most consistent. Doesn't always have to be the very best. But I know what I get from you. Right like that that part, I know exactly what I'm going to get from you.
Speaker 1: Trust, Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 5: Trust requires three things.
Speaker 1: What's that time proof and consistency time?
Speaker 6: I like that, And so to to to put that time proof, of consistency time, TPC, I got I got BBD and TPC.
Speaker 4: That's from coach Kevin Ey' from coach Keviny's.
Speaker 1: You've been dying to say that I.
Speaker 5: Got you, I got.
Speaker 1: You, I got you, I got you, And so for.
Speaker 6: Me, I would say the m v P because of the consistency is take Lawrence. I think a lot of times we look for the sacks and we look for the splash plays, but when you look at just the consistent work, the pressures, the assignment alignment, like the grading out, like all those things, to me are are one that I look at and I go man. The Micah gets the credit for being the flashy splash player, but Tank to me, is the model of consistency on this defense disappointment, and I've been riding for this. I've been riding since the helicopter landed right over here in the field. Mike McCarthy, Mike McCarthy is the biggest disappointment to me right now, and it hurts my heart if you if you follow that with the boys show, Freaking Mike is my dude. I stood on the table for freaking Mike to get signed when we were looking for a new head coach. I wanted him to call plays from from the start like all of the above, and and finally the moment has come for him to step into that that that that that that place of this is my offense and I can really call it the way that I want to call it and and boy, we we've we've we've been left with a lot to desire. And in training camp you saw it was it was ball was high flying there and high flying there and this and this, and I watched training camp over here and that thing was slinking around the park.
Speaker 1: We get here and I'm just like, where did he go?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 1: What happened to this Texas Coast offense? Four and two not good enough?
Speaker 5: Jesse?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I didn't say that. I didn't say four and two went good enough early. I didn't say not good enough.
Speaker 6: His his ability to call the plays in the offense right now, to me, from my expectation was it's disappointing.
Speaker 1: And he said right now, he said again with me after seeing his last year's just disappointing season. And I attributed that to the injury to his knee and all of that. And I just know the athleticism that this guy possesses. I see him this year. I was looking forward to him challenging Ceedee Lamb as the number one receiver, knowing the CD's going to stay number one. But I love it when that number two guy challenges that number one number. And so I'd have to say Michael Gallup has really disappointed me to this.
Speaker 5: Point due Hill ain't walking through that dude.
Speaker 1: Man. I looked for him to really be more comfortable on that knee, and maybe he is, but I have not seen him be that guy that can take it deep. You know, we still need a guy that can go deep. Michael Gallup is that guy. CD could be that guy as well. We have receivers that can go deep, but he hasn't shown that he can get away from a defensive back, you know, to where he can open himself up for a target for his quarterback.
Speaker 5: Who's your MVP?
Speaker 1: MVP Michael Possum's that's easy. I mean I could say that year round and and I love that. But I'm looking at Delang. I just really love the way. I love his consistency I always have. There's no different this year. He's not breaking out doing a lot of things, but he's holding down his end and he's making some of those quiet plays that put us back on track defensively.
Speaker 5: Jess, save the best for that, all right?
Speaker 7: Oh this is I'm going to go seee Lamb is my MVP because this is a guy that really had to evolve his mindset to be a wide receiver one because he talked about it last year. He said it's a mindset change that you have to get into. And although he has not been productive, I don't put the blame on him for that. I don't necessarily think that he's not getting the ball because he doesn't want to get the ball. What wide receiver, starting wide receiver doesn't want to get the ball.
Speaker 6: I want the ball, and I was a Jazz, I was a job. I want the ball, Give me the ball.
Speaker 7: And that's my point is, I don't put it on him for not getting the ball right, and I think they're still trying to figure it out. But when he does get the ball, you're talking about a guy that is going to make the play happen. He's your clutch receiver for a reason. He's there, and he hasn't disappointed. He hasn't disappointed in being that starting receiver. And so I'm really excited to see, you know, only a second one hundred yard game of the season so far compared to Week one and then Monday night. But what else is he capable of doing now that he said I want the ball? Dak Prescott heard him. Dak gave him the ball. That's your starting point, and I'm excited to see that going forward. For me, Jesse, I'm gonna agree with you. It's not necessarily Mike McCarthy. It's the play calling that we've seen so far that's disappointed me the most so far this season. I say so far. And here's the thing. Yes, four and two is fantastic, but should you have lost to the Cardinals, No, forty nine ers probably, But.
Speaker 1: At the same.
Speaker 6: Call.
Speaker 7: At the same time, you haven't seen what Mike McCarthy's play calling is yet and why you've had opportunity to see it fully displayed, and why haven't you. You've seen a different version of it every single week to where you don't even know what the heck this Texas Coast offense really is yet. So for me, I want to see more of Mike McCarthy showing his hand to say, look, this is our identity.
Speaker 10: What is it?
Speaker 7: What's your identity? You're lacking it? Ceede Lamb couldn't even answer that for you. I want to see more of that going forward. And that's not to say it's a knock on anything. It's just the bar is here. I want to see it.
Speaker 1: That's a that's an agreement.
Speaker 5: That's enough to.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club
Speaker 8: Y