Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington. Welcomes Mike Armstrong March twenty seventh through the twenty ninth. Then it's the Lexington debut of Lorie kill martin April third through the fifth, and catch rising comedy stars Sam tallon April eleventh and twelfth. Comedy Off Broadway opened in downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven, and they're still bringing the best and stand up comedy to the area thirty eight years later. Call eight five ninety two seven to one joke or visit Comedy Off Broadway dot com com off Broway.
Speaker 2: This is Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage. Now here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 3: Welcome everyone in Kentucky Sports Radio. Friday, March the twenty eighth. It is Sweet sixteen Day in Lexington, Kentucky, as the Cats get ready to go up the road to Indianapolis tonight and play Tennessee in a massive Sweet sixteen game that should be packed with the Big Blue. You can give a shout Clarks Pumping Shop Phone line eight five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven Avision Little Glass text Machine is seven seven two seven seven four five two five four in this Issian sponsored by the t J Smith Lovas it's called TJ. He'll make them.
Speaker 4: Pay, Ryan.
Speaker 3: Yesterday I went to Red's opening day, and right before uh I got out of the car to go to the game, I did one of my little back things again.
Speaker 4: Oh no, stumbling.
Speaker 3: Around, uh in a little bit of pain, trying to figure out can I get myself to Indianapolis today? Because I want to go and I want to do the pregame show, but then I also have to leave for Europe next week and that so I'm not exactly sure what to do.
Speaker 4: It's the best timing for you.
Speaker 3: The tournament is not coming a good time for me to time. Maybe they could move it next year.
Speaker 5: To May, uh Drew, I'd crawl naked on broken glass to get this game, and I don't do.
Speaker 3: That to me. I just throwing.
Speaker 4: I heard that.
Speaker 3: You see you saw me stumbling in here today? He's he's over here going. I'd crawl through broken glass.
Speaker 4: Walking like an old man today. How did you get to your seat in the stadium yesterday? Then?
Speaker 3: Not easy? Not easy? And that was uh, you know, but you're already there when yeah you leave? So uh so I was there the sitting is fine. It's the walk walking, the walking that's a little bit of a hard part. But well, you know, we'll see. I'm not I'm gonna decide by the end of the show. So I like my parents waiting. That's true, you all waiting. We've got to figure out what we're gonna do, and I want to do it. I'm worried about the hour at ten roof. I'm not really worried about the drive. I'm not even really worried about the game. I'm like worried about that out, like the hour at ten roof.
Speaker 5: What are the shots they give athletes to get them through a game?
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe it load you up for Andrew Andrew Carr got that as it is. Maybe I need to get the Andrew Carr treatment to uh to get through.
Speaker 4: I'm sure if they're a ten roof any we can find you a big chair and just PLoP you on the stage in a big, old comfy chair.
Speaker 3: Well, well, we'll figure it out for the nights over eight. I'm nine two eighth twenty two eighty seven text machine seven seven two seven seven four five two five four. So I was up late last night, as I'm sure many of you all were watching the Sweet sixteen. Alabama justed b yu scored, made more threes than any team in history, three more than Loyola Marymount. Yeah, and beating BYU scored it. I mean just an absolute blitz. Duke kind of blitzed in their game Florida one by twenty. So it was like, oh no, another night of routes. And then Cal did Col. And when Col did Cal, Arkansas blew it at twelve thirty at night. Did you stay up to watch it?
Speaker 4: Oh no, No, I went to bed at halftime when Arkansas was up thirteen, but still well it was maybe being seven and a half. Still the easiest bet of the night for me was Texas Tech at money line at halftime. You knew that you knew he was gonna blowl it. You knew it was washed rints repeat with Cal. You knew what was coming.
Speaker 3: I wish i'd bet it.
Speaker 4: I did. I bet a whole five dollars on Texas Tech money line?
Speaker 3: How much did that pay?
Speaker 4: Ten dollars and something nice?
Speaker 3: Uh? Yeah, I bet I was gonna bet him. Well, I did bet him to win. I had quite a bit on Arkansas. It's like the emotional head yeah. And then at the end, I mean it was it was honestly all of Cali Perry like summed up. I mean it was he literally it was like the Eagles playing Rupperena with the greatest hits. I mean he he deflated the ball up for there They're thirteen with four and a half minutes to go. He starts holding for one shot. They miss free throws, right, they don't foul up three. Now I know there were like nine seconds to go, ten seconds, I probably would still foul, but he wasn't gonna foul if it was a two seconds like, that's just not what he does. Then he goes to overtime. Overtime was very well played. I mean both teams were making plays like they were. And then at the end Arkansas misses, Texas Tech gets a little jumper and then seven point five seconds does not call time out. DJ Wagner, I mean John L. Davis had been playing great, right, the brazil guy had been playing well, and DJ Wagner is up taken a long two and they miss, no timeout used. I mean it was the greatest hits, Drew. It was like everything we used to complain about in a nutshell and.
Speaker 5: We thought, you know, Cal had gotten over the hump and maybe put some narratives to bed. But he found a way to dig up all his demons and package them into one game. And it was so predictable. I'm in all these group texts and we're on the message board and everyone is saying, well, he still hasn't gone stallball yet, so this game's not over. When everyone watching at home knows your flaws and knows what's coming, that says a lot about your coaching. But the not letting John L. Davis he had articulation or ot DJ. Both times he is gonna ride and die with DJ. He's shown that two years now and both times it's head and work.
Speaker 3: He had thirty points and he didn't get into the ball either time, and like didn't call time out.
Speaker 5: So it's never sitting around just watching DJ dribble. No one was moving, no one was setting a screen, no one was cutting.
Speaker 3: And after the game, did you see his comment, Well, I probably should have used the time out, but I don't like to call time out in that situation. It was like the manifestation of stubbornness that we always see. The Yeah, this is what I ought to do but I don't do that.
Speaker 4: We all knew it was coming. Everybody was a big Kinakogie fan last Coop Yars. We knew what was coming. So as I was catching up this morning when I woke up to the game, I saw some video the cameras captured Cal's face at one point late during the collapse. He just like a deer in headlights. He We've all seen that look that he gets there late in the game. We can't make the decision.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right now, you're seeing four and a half minutes to go right there, sixty nine fifty six, and then they then they and they come and uh and they were up six with a minute to go and still ended up losing. You know, listen, I you don't want to sort of wallow in the misery of others, but I have to tell you there was a part of me last night, part of the reason I bat on our because I was, hey, I thought they could win, but b I also thought, you know, it's gonna it's gonna stink again, not for our fan base, but for people telling us stuff if this happens. And it's almost like you did get some vindication last night of this is what we had like you get excited, the Arkansas fans get excited, and then they have a game that they should have won, and then they don't. And so now with Arkansas and BYU losing, You know, I don't think there should have been pressure on Pope because of that, But if there was, Drew that now is alleviate.
Speaker 5: And just looking at the calendar, he is officially in the tournament, longer than by even Arkansas happened.
Speaker 3: There's only there's only what twelve teams left. We're in the top twelve.
Speaker 5: I still believe that all three one out in the end, with them all making the second weekend, and hopefully Pope doesn't feel any pressure. But it would be a nice little statement for Pope to even go further than the other two teams. So I think it was best for everyone, even though it's.
Speaker 3: Certainly better for everyone. I mean, I think it was you know, look that he's he in some ways. You even got the year that was Cali Perry. Often preseason hype stink at the beginning of the year, wait for March, get some belief at the end. Have your heart ripped out in March.
Speaker 5: Random injuries with statements that don't make sense, Yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Don't know who's gonna play, who's not gonna play. Haven't seen him? You know that? And then you wrong guy taking a shot at the end of the game. And what was the game? Didn't we run a game where we maybe it was last year where or two years ago where the final play was a lob to a do or whatever, and he didn't care like things like that. You saw last night.
Speaker 4: And a dude played last night. He had everybody healthy to play last night. I don't want to see what seth Greenberg's How are you gonna defend this one? I mean it was a total again coaching malpractice. What happened? He believe you went to sleep? You miss that. We got a long day today. I needed to get my beauty rest.
Speaker 3: Where you're dressed up for it? You look nice? Uh? Then I mean earlier in the day I went to the Reds. You know, I'm not I'm not gonna go into a lot of details.
Speaker 4: They can how'd that game go? You can shut up.
Speaker 3: Like they led the whole game. They bring the ninth and you know, you know my thing every year I to play, Yes, you do, go back to Jumbo Diaz quacking Worth or whatever. His name was quacking back. It's no doubt now Ian Jibbou because as soon as they brought him in, like his uniform doesn't fit, you know, he's number seventy one, come on. And as soon as he came in, I was.
Speaker 4: Like, we're losing seventy one. That's his era.
Speaker 3: He's out there, he just throws meat balls and we go from three to two up to down six to three, and I you know, and we end up losing the game. And so ian Jibou is now, I mean he was the we have a new manager already ready to fire him because it was his first game, and he puts the worst picture out there to close, He's the worst picture on the roster. And so anyway, we lost, and and you know, I was in back pain sitting there up in the bleachers watching hus lose. It was just not a good exp was it?
Speaker 5: Was it at least fun before the ninth inning milk down?
Speaker 3: Yeah? No, I mean Opening day in Cincinnati, I highly reckon. I mean, there's a lot going on now. You gotta be ready, you got to be on your toes. I saw a dude just getting knocked out, just knocked out on the street Hubby just looks at me and goes, I think those two people were about to fight. And I turned over and as I turned over, the guy was just falling. Wow. And then the other dude just walked off, and I was like, it is somebody gonna you know, are we gonna act like this happened? So I walked Hubby's hubby and I walk over there and we're like, hey, man, all right, and then this woman's like this woman takes his phone, holds it up to his face to like do the face thing, and calls his friend and just goes, your friend just got knocked out, which a weird thing to say to somebody on the phone, right, And I wanted I wondered if the friend was like, well, what do you want me to do? So then they called the hot and then he got he woke up and it was okay, woke up. But it was just a very strange, like, you know, the whole day was kind of strange.
Speaker 4: What it is, It's like a national holiday up in Cincinnati. Whe everybody takes the day off. They have to pray.
Speaker 3: Even we're on right now, I can't. Okay, yes it is, but it is kind of strange. David, we're on right now.
Speaker 4: But it's got a nice hat on though.
Speaker 3: That is a nice hat. That's true, But it was. It was a fun day and it just ended up poorly. Sometime.
Speaker 4: I think I've been to Red's opening day. I think two times when I was working at Channel eighteen. It's just like I said, it's a celebration. Schools are closed, people take off work, have a braid to be get knocked down, lose blow lead the night. I mean, it's just typical Red celebration.
Speaker 3: So Kentucky and Tennessee tonight in Indianapolis. I also, can I tell you one more mistake I made. I realized yesterday I bought my parents tickets, very excited.
Speaker 4: Oh no, got them pretty good seats on the Tennessee section.
Speaker 3: Bought it for Sunday.
Speaker 5: No, No, that's confidence, though, look at you.
Speaker 4: You read taking ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So my mom this morning, very nicely, this morning goes. We have a little bit of a problem. She's like, I got the tickets. I think they are for Sunday. And I said, no, you just don't know how to read them. No, there for Sunday. So we're gonna now we're gonna have to search for another pair. So you know, I'm not gonna say the mojo is great going into tonight's game, but I still feel oddly, I feel a little confident.
Speaker 5: Do you say it's good? You figure that out now?
Speaker 4: Before they got to the game, they got to the gate and they said, let's just let's just recap your last twenty four hours. Red's blow leading the ninth, you buy the wrong tickets for your mom and dad, and you've hurt your back.
Speaker 3: But Arkansas laws, but Arkansas laws. That's that I think, is that that might be the change. That's okay. Uh, But I do feel good about tonight.
Speaker 5: I feel good too. My nerves will kick in once I get to Indy and see Lucas Oil because we haven't been back since twenty fifteen Wisconsin game in that building. But right now, I'm feeling good. I had my my weeda bix on the dryover. It's all still in my teeth. I regret that although a mari hit a littlelike on social media, so Mario's going around watching people eat weedy bis this morning. But no, I'm I'm very excited. You can't wait to get up there.
Speaker 3: How do you feel?
Speaker 4: Actually, I feel a little relieved though that I do know it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but the fact that Arkansas lost and b why you lost, I feel a little relieve. Maybe it's just for Mark that he now he can play with house money and go out and try to beat a team that's really, I think, really good. I'm still not there yet. I think it's gonna be a really tight game, but I'm not fully convinced they're gonna win.
Speaker 3: Shandon, are you are you hopeful? I know, Mario, I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: Think I'm hopeful.
Speaker 2: I mean, don't ask me to put money on it, but yeah, I think Kentucky wins tonight.
Speaker 3: You know, I think we have as good a matchup as we can have. I mean I objectively. I try to think about this as what if the other team didn't have that jersey on?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right, So let's say we were playing Tennessee, we had not played them two times earlier this year, and it's said Texas tech on it. I would go, we can win this. Sure, we're just as good as they are that we actually match up with them. So I think that to the extent that we feel any anxiety, it's because it's Tennessee, and it's because we beat them twice earlier this year. So I'm trying to put that out of my mind to say, if it's just Jersey versus Jersey without the name on it, I'm gonna feel pretty decent about the game.
Speaker 4: I love that theory. Now, that's gonna help me, because you're right, it's just the fact that Tennessee's on that jersey makes me a little more anxious about the game.
Speaker 3: Even if it's said Old miss and we'd beaten them twice and we wouldn't feel that way. It's just because it's Tennessee and so rationally I need to not do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if we're all being honest, a lot of the anxiety is that their fans are insufferable, especially online, and we'll have to hear about it for the next year. Probably if you were to lose for any other game, you wouldn't really hear after the fact. So it's mostly just the fan base rival because the matchup. Why wouldn't you want to play a team you've already beaten twice shorthanded in one of them on their own floor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we didn't have uh, we didn't have Lamont Butler, and we Andrew Carr was like barely playing the first time, and then the second time we didn't have Jackson Robinson, which we don't have now, and Lamont Butler was hobbled. So I mean, you know, why not say that we we have a chance.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say this is the game though Mary can't miss a bunch of two footers and layups. I mean, he's gonna get a lot of opportunities. I think, though, I think he's got to hit it.
Speaker 3: That's our best matchup. Yes, him is him, because Igor's good offensively, but he can't guard Amar. If I've nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven, tax Machine is seven seven two seven seven four five two five four. We're gonna take a break and be right back. It's Kentucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 4: Welcome back.
Speaker 3: It is Kentucky Sports Radio. If I've nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven, text machine is seven seven two seven seven four five two five four getting ready, cats and balls in India. One person, rightes Matt. I was watching the game last night. I'm not proud to say it, but I was rooting hard for Texas Tech, Like as hard as I've ever rooted for a non Kentucky team. Is that bad of me? What do you think? Is it bad of you? Two? Is it bad? This kid says no way, so does Heed? Is it bad of us? I will admit I was wishing a lot that the Red Raiders would win. Is that bad?
Speaker 4: I think it was any other SEC team, I'd probably pulling for him, but I just could not pull for Arkansas in that situation last clearly.
Speaker 3: But is it bad to have those feelings about the.
Speaker 4: No, that's that's our old coach sitting there, our whole coaching staff sitting right there. No, I don't want I wanted them to lose. I wish him the best. Nope, Okay, I.
Speaker 2: Knew cheering for like Wagner and a Vsach and as.
Speaker 4: I found myself pulling for some of the kids.
Speaker 3: I mean, I like to see a Vsitch and a do and Wagner play well. But I mean also, it would have been really nice for DJ Wagner as a person if he hit that shot and I wanted him to miss it. I mean, if I'm being honest, didn't you Yeah?
Speaker 5: Oh? I was doing the Red Raider finger guns all night, So I was absolutely for Texas tech. I will say after DJ missed, I wanted him to miss I did feel bad when he just folded in his hands, But I feel bad for about.
Speaker 3: Any kids that like I do too.
Speaker 5: I'm not anti DJ Wagner. I'm just anti Arkansas winning that game.
Speaker 3: When people when any kid feels the weight of I lost this game, which he didn't. DJ Wagner played. DJ Wagner made an amazing play before that to tie the game. He hit like an up and under. That was an amazing play, so he shouldn't feel that way. But when kids do, I'm with you like that. I can't help but feel bad for him.
Speaker 5: And yeah, if only someone called a time out and helped him so he didn't have to dribble in place for seven seconds while his four teammates stared at him without moving.
Speaker 4: How can you not call a timeout? I mean, I just don't understand. How can you not never have I know it, I just don't understand it.
Speaker 5: He's got a storage unit full of time out somewhere that he takes.
Speaker 4: But that was one.
Speaker 3: They weren't doing anything like it's one. This goes back to my overall point with him, which is when you have John Waller Deer and Fox right there. Let him go okay, But for better or worse, DJ Wagner's not those guys, right, so you might need to run something. I mean, if I'm Mark Pope, if we had the exact same situation, I don't think are our dudes maybe, oh what I would, But I wouldn't want any of our other guys doing that. I'd want to have a time out to set something up.
Speaker 5: Even if you trust him, it was obvious he was just dribbling in place, no one was moving. Cal still had plenty of time to call one and fix that.
Speaker 3: Everyone watching him long too, like you either want to shoot a three and win the game or take it to the basket. And he shoots a long two. I mean, it's like it is the greatest hits.
Speaker 5: Did he even get it off in time? I don't think he recounted if he had made it, it was cool.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that all right tonight. Who's our most important play? We already talked about it. I think a mari is. I think that's the matchup we have advantage in. He just can't miss a lot of two footers. He can he can dominate, He can beat a different yesterday that sometimes he is trying to h avoid like you know, he does the layup because he feels like if he tries to dunk he might get blocked or whatever. I say, try to dunk on these people's faces.
Speaker 4: He's built like Hercules Atlas, go up and dunk it in somebody's face, Hercules and Atlas. Yes, the guy's a man. He's a man's man.
Speaker 5: I'll go with Lamont Butler as my MVP running the show in Garden Ziegler. However, I think Kentucky's gotta have three point shooting and both wins against Tennessee. They shot fifty percent while Tennessee shot like sixteen percent. It'd be big ass fast those seems to do that. But if they're anywhere close to If Kentucky shoots their average and holds Tennessee, I think they'll be fine. But you gotta knocked down shots, aren't.
Speaker 3: We like undefeated? When Braham makes four something like that, Yeah, I mean that went three for three against I mean that's for me, like Breya, like a lot of it is gonna be. Can we hit threes? Because I think unlike against Alabama and some of these teams, we don't have to score eighty five to win. You can win. I think we won in Knoxville like seventy three, sixty four or something like that. You can win like this. But even with that, I think you gotta hit threes.
Speaker 5: If you get to the mid to high seventies, you gotta be feeling good. I believe it was seventy five points in Knoxville, seventy eight and up, and you won both kind of convincingly. Tennessee. They just they're one of the best defensive teams in the country, but they're not a team that's gonna go get in the eighties and really light up scoreboards. If you can get close to that number, I think you'll be okay.
Speaker 3: Eight five, nine, eight, twenty two eighty seven. I want to hear your alls thoughts on the game. Before we do that, Let's talk just a second about the portal. In his open Mark Pope did an interview in which he said, I thought it was interesting. He said that in game prep he was honest. He was like, look, we're spending every afternoon and night on game prep, but we're having to spend the morning, uh, recruiting the portal. You know, it is what it is. He has to do it. There was some good vibes coming out yesterday. Uh there's some seems like conflicting info. But Jacob says he hears Kentucky might be the leader for that Donovan Dent at New Mexico, the kid from Georgia who averaged thirteen game. What's his name? I think he played well against us. Whatever. That kid's name is, the player Painley. He enters the portal and Kentucky's interested in him. There's also a kid from Davidson that has entered the portal, a big guy that I think Kentucky is probably interested if they don't get the Robert Morris kid. There's a lot of people, and who knows who will end up getting. But here's one of the things that I do think is positive. It seems like Kentucky has the money to get guys and has a lot of interest from these top top guys, which remember last year we got a lot of dudes, but they were like a notch below the top. Looks like the top guys are all interest.
Speaker 4: That was good to hear you say that yesterday, that there was even money left over from last year they can use even this year to gohead and get some guys because now they've got you know, going into the transfer portal season there, they're head strong. They're not just putting together a roster. They can dedicate everything to look on what they're doing.
Speaker 3: So and they has like seven guys. You know, last year you're starting from scratch. Yeah, this year you're gonna have like seven dudes that you're gonna probably I mean, when's the last time you think Kentucky's had this many guys coming back? I mean we, I mean we have I would assume four to five guys coming back and then three freshmen. I can't when's the last time we had four or five guys coming back?
Speaker 4: Well that you're the twins Willie and Alex, that's probably it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably guess what that team ended up pretty good?
Speaker 4: Pret dang good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So uh I think that's I think that's good news. We're not used to that here. I mean, we're not used to having a core return. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And uh with Damp the guy that they're uh real close with, now, I didn't think I could have a chance. And now it sounds like it's Kentucky and UCLA are head to head and everyone else is backed out all surrendering that Kentucky has a lot of money.
Speaker 3: Why would you want to go play for UCLA. That's the most boring style, Like Mick Cronin's playing like from the sixties, Like if you're a kid, he said. I saw in an interview he said, I want to get up and down the court. Well, you can't go to UCLA. There's I mean, there's no team that gets up and down the court less than them.
Speaker 5: And nobody cares about you in La. You're a small small fish in that pond here you're a star?
Speaker 3: Is he from there?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 5: I don't think he's from LA exactly. I mean he's in a West coast kid.
Speaker 3: I got you, Okay, Kentucky two eighty seven, We're gonna take your calls. Be right back. It's KSR. TJ. Smith personal injury attorney, call TJ. He'll make them pay.
Speaker 2: Now more of Kentucky Sports Radio present it by Stockton Mortgage. Here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 3: That's a good thing. That's a good song for this shit.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 3: Tell you I thought about you. Yeah, that's right. Hopefully we'll be able to do it. I'm gonna I'm gonna decide during the next break, Okay, decide whether or not to UH to make the trip up there. I don't want to me Like you know, I've said I love the atmosphere before the games as much, if not more than the game, So you know I hate would hate to miss it.
Speaker 4: You're gonna have to get up, walk around like you said, It doesn't bother when you're sitting here like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's fine right now E if I'm nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven text machine seven seven to two UH seven seven four five two five four one person's rights, Matt. It's like when you get UH. When you have a breakup and you don't hate your ex, you want them to be happy, but only if you're happy first. That's how I felt about Cal. I want him to be happy, but only if we're happy and go far are there first. That's an interesting way to look at it. I can see that, like you date somebody, you don't want to be miserable, but you want to make sure you are as happy, if not more so.
Speaker 4: If the Knights had flipped and we played last night and lost, I would be praying at Arkansas and b why you both lose tonight? So the fact that both of them have already lost. I think takes a little bit of the anxiety away from me.
Speaker 5: Well, he already got his winning rup and Seth Greenberg called it the best coaching job in Cal's career this year, so he didn't have to do more. It's already such a big success that he's done that. So I didn't have a problem rooting against him to not make the Elite eight.
Speaker 3: That's, by the way, that was nice. It's the best coaching job.
Speaker 4: So he's gonna say this time.
Speaker 3: I mean, he did a good week, he had a good week, But like this year, that team, you saw that team on the floor last year, they should have been good this year. Yeah, he had a lot of talent. They should have been good. They had a bunch of injuries, but they still should have been good.
Speaker 5: And I'm still of the belief that Hunter Dickerson throwing it right to Boogey Flann changed the whole narrative of Cal this post. They just don't give up that turnover. I don't think Arkansas wins in round one.
Speaker 3: Who's up first.
Speaker 2: We'll start with Peyton.
Speaker 3: Peyton, go ahead, Peyton.
Speaker 6: Hey, Matt, I couldn't agree more about Cal happy to see him half success, not too much success, but have success. I wanted to talk about Pope. I follow me here. So I got a bird feeder in my backyard. And I'm big on energy and tracking energy and feeling good vibes and stuff. And every time, every morning, come out with my coffee and I look at this bird feeder and the birds are just every time the cats win, the birds are just eating away, having a good morning.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's hard to beat.
Speaker 6: It's hard to beat the team three times. And I came out this morning and the birds took off, and it just got me nervous.
Speaker 3: And I why do you think the birds? Just a question? Why do you think the birds eating in your bird feeder is at all indicative of a basketball game? Like there are other birds that are probably eating in their birds.
Speaker 6: Well, I track it, and the birds don't lie. They don't are saying to me.
Speaker 3: When you wake up and the birds are eating in the bird feeder, we win, and when they're not, we lose. Yeah, and they did need this morning. Shannon, I like you respond to this, This feels.
Speaker 2: Like your guy is out of his mind, Like like, are you serious?
Speaker 5: Like is this a real call?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: It doesn't fail. It never failed.
Speaker 3: So you think there's like there's anything, there's like an energet energy calm between between the birds and Kentucky basketball. Yeah, okay, yeah. By the way, by the way, while you were sitting there, I think Mario, you ran that guy. You were trying to take a picture and your stomach was on his head, and no, I think it was I think he was sitting there and you were hovering over him to take that picture, and I believe you were giving his head a tummy rub. You had you had some space. Okay, I don't know. Maybe it's not the birds, maybe it's Mario hovering over the head. But do you think that that's possible.
Speaker 5: Umm, could be the case that you know, birds are flying north Indianapolis because they're decided about the Sweet sixteen when I be there for it.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna look at that angle. I like to track it down a little bit. Just for tickets. I was looking. So they flooded the market with new tickets. So there's like, if you go on stub hub, there's tickets now. Now they're way way way up, but there's tickets for like one hundred and ten dollars. So I mean, now that's not cheap, but that's a lot cheaper than it was. So I actually think, like, if you're sitting there going back and forth, I had two different sets of friends decided to go last night. So if you if you're sitting there thinking about it, Ryan, maybe now you do.
Speaker 4: I think there's a lot of people like your friends decided, hey, we're going. We just want to be in the building, and they're buying tickets even though they're high up. They just want to be there and kind of soak it all up that we're back in the sweet sixteen.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, I don't believe your birds. By the way, can I.
Speaker 4: Say something about the birds if you want? You know, we are a crazy fan base. We buy weeda bis, we watch birds. But I'm here for every second of it. I love it, you love it. I love the dude who thinks his birds dictate how UK's gonna play basketball.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's ridiculous to think your birds dictate it. Now, whether or not I'm in the shower does have.
Speaker 4: A different It's just as ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, like that that that is makes a difference. That is like me rocking back and forth in the same spot. I mean, I almost drove to Milwaukee this morning to go to that bank again because we're two for two with me standing in that bank.
Speaker 4: Lob.
Speaker 5: I wore the same shirt both games in Milwaukee. It's a coat, and I thought about even though it's gonna be eighty degrees, like, I guess I'm just gonna have to wear my coat Indianapolis. I mean, we all have our superstitions. What's working, what's working, it's not working.
Speaker 3: And it's working, you shouldn't. You shouldn't get rid of it. Who's next? LL cool ta and what's goodness?
Speaker 4: Ll cool Tay?
Speaker 3: How are you? Hey? You doing good?
Speaker 7: Matt and Crew? Hey, I want to take you back off of what he said about energy. I think some one of the players that really to bring the fire and I feel like we haven't seen in those years is Brandon Garrison.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, Brandon played really well in the game against Troy. I believe the thing about Brandon Garrison with energy, I appreciate the call is that the energy can be positive or negative, right, I mean like sometimes when he has a lot of energy, he tries to do too much. You know, he led that Troy game off. I think he took two threes in like the first forty seconds he was in the game. But I do think, you know, he has an athleticism, he can switch off their things. He can do that can make him very dangerous.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was great in the Troy game, but do he have like thirteen points off the bench had a few moments in the in the Illinois game. I think of the and one after Butler had that great steal. But the thing with Garrison and when he gets too energetic, he might just walk over the other bench and put his finger in somebody's face and start talking trash. So you he's a bit of a wild card. You don't know how he's going to react, but I think he will need to be an important piece tonight.
Speaker 4: He's gonna get a lot of minutes. Like I said, those two guys, that position is really crucial. The one thing I like a about what he does when he and the college kind of right when he comes in. He does bring some energy, you know, and sometimes I think they can help pick up the pace a little bit when he comes on, and he's probably the one GalF the bench that does that the best for us.
Speaker 3: It seemed to me against Illinois, that that Pope shortened his bitch, right, that Pope decided to play fewer and fewer people, and kind of do you expect that? Yes, we only had two guys on the bench get double digit minutes last game. Uh do you got do you expect that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Travis Perry, you know, didn't play at all. Alman Or played limited minutes. He basically just went with seven Garrison and Colin Channler. Channer was the first guy off the bench. I think he'll probably do that again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's my parents.
Speaker 4: I just walked. They're blue ready to go to the game on Sunday.
Speaker 3: He's got Yes, they have to Sunday team. I mean if they have to watch Houston Tennessee, they will. I mean they you'll have to go pull for the Cougars eight two eighty seven, one person writes Matt. They say Donovan Dent could cost three million dollars. Do we think Kentucky has three million dollars? Yes? But with all one of the things that's gonna be interesting is all of these programs have a set amount of money that they feel like they can pay. The problem is, you don't know do they want to pay three million for Donovan Dent or a million each for three other guys. And I don't know what the answer to that question is because I don't know what they're overall budget, Like, I have no idea, for instance, what Oway, Garrison, Noah, like, I don't know what those guys are gonna cost coming back. I do know this, I was I was talking to somebody on Monday, and they said, priority number one is oh way back, that's priority number one. So I don't think they're gonna do anything that would make it that it could at all jeopardize Oway coming back Drew and so we'll see. I don't know what that means.
Speaker 5: Though, in three million seems like a high number, But I trust Mark Pope to not just throw away a bag at someone that can mess up a locker room or you run out of money somewhere else. With all the analytics and preparation and research he does, if he spends three million on a guy, I'm gonna trust that he has other millions, plenty of millions to take care of the rest of the roster and not go all in on one player because that's not his style of coaching.
Speaker 3: But I mean, if he does spend three million. Remember this dude right now is ranked as the number one guy in the portal. Now, I think there's gonna be a couple of people get in that will probably pass him. But I don't think there's any way this dude does not end up as a top five portal player. He's your point guard. Like, I mean, he's gonna be He's very I mean, he's the Lamont Butler of that. He went to the same high school as Lamont Butler. Literally, like you want to have a Lamont Butler clone, This dude went to the exact same high school. So there is a I think, a real reason to want to get it.
Speaker 4: But you're right, a lot of it is budgeting. That's why you need like a general manager to handle your recruiting budget.
Speaker 3: Our general manager, like we we don't really have a general manager in the way that people talk about it. We have somebody else who kind of runs the nil that does it. Mark Pope is the general man. Mark Pope picks the players, and then I think Mark Pope says, Okay, when it comes to business side, you work that out. But I think Mark Pope tells them these are who we want, now go and get them and then it's up to those people to go and do it.
Speaker 5: The way I see it is if Pope wants them, and he's everything that he's ranked in the portal right now, the top guard you can go get if he costs three million, he costs three million.
Speaker 3: It's all relative, like, we don't know what these other people. Three million sounds like a lot, but what's everybody? I mean, the dude at by Us making seven million next year allegedly, but who knows. Like I said, I don't believe any of these numbers anyway, I always read these numbers. I don't believe any of them. I think they're all inflated. I think they're all higher than what they actually are. I actually think the amount of money is much smaller than people say. Hey, we've had a lot of storms here in Kentucky and we hope your family is safe. But remember, serve Pro is the company called for storm damage restoration. One eight hundred serve Po. They'll come and make fire and water damage like it never even happened. One hundred serve Pro. That's scr vpro dot com. Check out surpro dot com. I hope you don't need them, but if you do, it's one eight hundred, sirpro. We'll take a break and be right back. We're here at Chsbar and Grill, opening fifteen minutes. This is Kentucky Sports Radio. Welcome back at his is Kentucky Sports Radio. If I'm nine two twenty two eighty seven seventy seven degrees tonight here in Lexington, if you want to come watch the games here, we'll have him here at Kosbar. Get here early, get your seat, be loud, and yeah, cheer them on. Should be a great environment in here tonight.
Speaker 4: Montgomery County came in here yesterday. All they did was hit like forty five three pointers yesterday and their big wins new dude tournament record.
Speaker 3: It's right, Montgomery County breaks the Sweet sixteen record on the same day that Alabama breaks the NCAA tournament record. It isnt raining three. So now we go to the final eight. They're about to have Right now, we're have all the games here on the big screen, Bowling Green and Ashland. Who you got Ryan?
Speaker 4: I didn't mention this Xander kid for Ashton when we did our preview the day. He's really good. He's going to Liberty. He has to steal for Liberty. I like I like Ashland in this game over Bowling Green.
Speaker 3: You like Asland?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 5: After watching Bowling Green in that first game induced Bailey hitting the game winner, all side with them in this one.
Speaker 3: Gotta go Eastern Kentucky. I'm taking Ashlan. What about you, Shannon?
Speaker 2: I don't watched any of these games, so it's a blond pick and kind of following Ryan a little bit.
Speaker 3: I'm going to Ashland, You're going to Ashland. So four votes for Aceland and then Drew is the only one left. Uh, three votes for Asling. Drew's the other one. What is it? North or south Oldham? South old fighting against too, Jeffersontown, Jeffersontown st X Who you got? Uh?
Speaker 4: You know the fighting Billy bangs, the south Oldham Dragon. Uh, put you know on a run right now. But jay Town they proved something to me when they beat st XT other Knight. So I'm going jay Town.
Speaker 3: You're going Jason Chargers. I'm gonna take south Oldham. Uh to win the game for for Billy and uh the fact Shannon made fun of his hair? What about you?
Speaker 5: Hangover? Game for jay Town? South Oldham one big in their first round. I also saw with the fighting Billy great clips on this one.
Speaker 4: For my god, Billy, I'm gonna take South Boy.
Speaker 3: Jennon was so mean if the Billy on that one a horrible photo.
Speaker 5: That was fair.
Speaker 3: I didn't think that was fair. North Laurel against Moco.
Speaker 4: Who you got? Moco? Like I said, they came in here in eight yesterday, so I got to continue.
Speaker 3: To North canceled. So normally I would put the thirteenth region, but I gotta go with Moco because they canceled. Hon It's true, and that's bad. That's that's like the birds not eating.
Speaker 5: I'm going Moco too, after they let up the scoreboard in their first round win Shannon, Who you got?
Speaker 2: Montgomery County le and what.
Speaker 3: Might be the state championship tonight? In all honesty, this is probably the game that has the most likely chance to decide the state champion great crossing in Cooper. Tim Sullivan fired from his job a month and a half ago. One last night. Now they play future cat Malachai Moreno, Unfortunately this is during the Kentucky game, or I actually think this would be a game I would really recommend people to go to. Unfortunately, they're playing during the Kentucky game. But who You Got?
Speaker 4: It's been a great run for Cooper and Tim Sullivan. That's a great story, but I think it ends tonight. Great Crossing just too too much talent on the floor. Malachi had like what twenty one points, twelve rebounds, six blocks last night?
Speaker 5: He was he was incredible ron And I saw Malachai eating an ice cream cone in the concourse. He took it down to like three bites. I was worried about how focus he was because he had a game that three bites. I mean, he demolished it, but then he played well that night. So I'm going with Malachai get his ice cream today and Great Crossing winning tonight, future.
Speaker 3: Cat playing as we go to the Elite eight. You got to take Malachi and Great Crossing.
Speaker 2: Who you gotch I have never wanted a high school team to win more than I want Cooper to win the entire thing, just to see if they have the guts to fire after they went to state title.
Speaker 3: That would be ca let me ask, if he were to win state, couldn't they still.
Speaker 4: Fire couldn't fire him? You can't fire him after he won.
Speaker 2: So he's fighting for his job.
Speaker 3: He's playing say he's playing for his job.
Speaker 4: I don't even know if you fire him now after he got you to this sweet sixteen.
Speaker 3: Elite eight lead to the Elite eight. I don't know if you Cooper Sham, yes, give me Cooper it is. It is an amazing story. So who's the state finals? What you think Ashland? Great crossing, Moco, great crossing?
Speaker 4: Who you got I'm gonna go great Crossing Ashland.
Speaker 3: I think it's gonna be great crossing Ashland. That'll be a heck of a run for Ashland. Probably didn't see themselves in that spot.
Speaker 5: If it were Cooper, though, he couldn't go back, He could not give them the satisfaction of him going back. And but you didn't want me, you know.
Speaker 4: You didn't the only coach in the school's history.
Speaker 3: If you didn't want me at my worst, you don't get me at my state champion beck I.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't even let him have the trophy. I'd walk straight off the road floor then take it home.
Speaker 3: You okay?
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 3: Who's up?
Speaker 4: Neck?
Speaker 3: Wu Tang Dave, Wu Tang Dave? How are you?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 3: Guys?
Speaker 8: I just want to call in. I am so excited. I'm going to the game tonight, I got my wheat to bis. I'm gonna hit the road to indian a couple hours. In Big Blue Nation. We just have to own that arena tonight. We cannot let those savages in Orange gain any momentum at all. So be in, make sure you need your wa to bis. Let's all roll up to Andy tonight and make Tennessee our wee to bitch.
Speaker 6: Let's go cast.
Speaker 3: Oh no, whoa, hang on a second, you know, h Shandon liked that one. He uh. You know, we always talk about how the crowd in Nashville is an amazing crowd for us, much better in some ways than the rough crowd. Do you think this is.
Speaker 4: A Nashville crowd, a rough crowd? Somewhere in between?
Speaker 3: Like it is expensive, but then again, now the SEC tournament is expensive too, Like what do you think the crowd's gonna.
Speaker 5: Be leaning a little closer to Nashville crowd? And okay, Tennessee helps. The people in there are going to be absolutely on fire. Probably won't be as drunk as Nashville because you just got Broadway right there and that late game led right into it. But I think with the matchup, people that have paid good money to be there. It's just different than the home crowd at Rough that sees a lot of games.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna lean with Drew. I don't think it's a Nashville crowd because somebody, actually, I've got to bring this up. Spring Break and a lot of high school starts on Monday, so families have already had his bring break plan this weekend that normally would go to the game. All those families don't get to go. Spring break was neck was the week. That's Fayette County, okay, like all the other counties. Is next week?
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, maybe that makes some people more likely to go.
Speaker 2: They were looking at Lucas Oil Stadium.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who I mean, that's go to the beach in Indianapolis. It's really nice this time of year.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be seventy nine today, Yes, and I.
Speaker 3: Think it's good. I'm with you all. I don't think it's gonna be Nashville, but I think it's gonna.
Speaker 4: Be like wud uh huh.
Speaker 3: What's gonna be interesting though, is a lot of that stadium is gonna be empty in the first game because of those are the Purdue fans YEP, Likedue is gonna have a lot of people there and they're not even gonna be there for the first game, or at least some of them. So I think, do you think we have the most fans? Do you think we have I think we'll have more than Tennessee. Do you think we'll have more than Purdue?
Speaker 5: I think so. Just the pope, excitement and fans ready to I think most people would say that we're already a little farther ahead than expectations right now going to this Tennessee game.
Speaker 3: Apparently they released more tickets this morning, so yeah, for one hundred dollars. Now, I think those are probably like you're gonna need but oculars to see from up there. But they only would do that Ryan if they were expecting a packed house, like they would not. You know, they at these stadiums that are like this, they only keep releasing tickets if they think people are gonna be in them.
Speaker 4: That makes me think, yeah, the tickets they have released, those are gone. So they just keep releasing a little bit more, a little bit more, a little bit more, trying to cram more people in there.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna see. I think Kentucky'll have the most. I actually think Purdue will have the second host, and then I think Indiana after that.
Speaker 5: I won't be surprised they have a good turnout their fan based the travels and we'll spend a little bit of there.
Speaker 3: Weren't as many of their people here as I thought in rub like that that remember that game, those tickets were going for like six dollars for their game.
Speaker 4: Does Houston travel at all?
Speaker 3: I think they have, like they got some really rich boosters, but I don't think they have.
Speaker 4: The amount of people.
Speaker 3: They'll have people, but like they're they're very like top it. They have very rich alumni. But it's not like they don't they don't travel in mass.
Speaker 5: I don't think they'll have a good section behind their bench. That costs a bunch, but as far as throughout the arena only plus.
Speaker 3: They have the if they they may think if I go to the final four, it's in San Antonio, right which is which is two hours away for them and could end up I mean, now, if Houston made the Final four, they might have a massive crowd down there because of because of that eight five, nine, two, eight oh twenty two eighty seven, we are here at KOs Bar and Grill. We are going to take a break. You can eat your weeta Bix and get ready. This is uh Kentucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 4: I can't