Speaker 1: Big things happen when you're pretty, pretty bold, pretty clever, pretty strong. I'm Danielle Robe, and each week my guests and I have conversations that put a new spin on pretty This is pretty smart. There's been plenty of times I've wanted to make a scene, say something, get mad, get loud, and I just don't because I am very aware of the repercussions of it. But I'd like to think that every time a woman has the courage to make a scene, less women have to. The last time Golden Globe nominated actress Constance Wu made a scene, it was twenty eighteen. She took to Twitter to react to her sitcom Fresh Off the Boat, being renewed. She first cryptically tweeted, so upset right now that I'm literally crying of as. Then the Internet, the media, and even some of her cast members came for her.
Speaker 2: So it seemed really insensitive of her to go out there and do that.
Speaker 1: In short, Constance blew up her career, the career she had tireusly worked for and sacrificed for fifteen years. It all disappeared, and then she disappeared. Well that is until one year ago when she re emerged with a new memoir called Making a Scene. In it, she reveals the complicated moments that we didn't see in public, the moments that led to her eventual breakdown. She revisits some of those painful and intimate chapters of her life, the ones that reshaped her world. In today's episode.
Speaker 2: Those were the scenes that made the girl. Was the sexual harassment, the intimidation, the threats, the paranoia, all that.
Speaker 1: Today, nearly a year after re emerging back into public life, Constance has a new perspective.
Speaker 2: You know, I'd be lying if I said that there weren't times where it hurts, where it adds to a lot of confusion. But I think there's also a way to look at it as an opportunity.
Speaker 1: And she also gives us a glimpse into her world and her growing family with an announcement I was not expecting.
Speaker 2: Oh, I just breaking news. Nobody knew I had a son.
Speaker 1: I just said that on here today. A reminder that sometimes your biggest challenges are the things that will change you the most, and that oftentimes when we feel like we are criticizing somebody, it should really be an invitation to get curious instead making a scene. I was so moved constance your stories. I feel like I wanted to hold it close to my chest for some reason. It's like close to my heart. I can imagine you felt that way when writing it. But at the beginning you write, I stop thinking about the girl a scene and started thinking about the scenes that made the girl. I was hooked. Then I had chills. I love a sort of like a pun. Why making a scene? How did you come up with the title.
Speaker 2: It kind of just happened organically, which as I was writing the essays in that book, I feel like the essays crystallize. The second the title crystallized it it would all. That's when I knew something was working. And I noticed a theme within most of these essays where it was about women being perceived as making a scene because they or myself had repressed our voices for so long that it sort of bubbles up, you know, because it's going to go somewhere, whether it's like you get a hernia or you like have a moment on Twitter, which is what I had. And I was writing one essay in that that was about being raped and about how the movie idea of rape is very violent when really it's just someone having sex with you without your consent. And how my version what happened to me is I just said I am not ready to have sex with you. I did not consent. I said no, and then he just didn't listen. And I didn't physically fight back because well, I mean, A, he's twice my size, were in his apartment. You know, if I fight back, I'm going to get beat up. And B I didn't want to make a scene. And how that sort of that idea of what it means to make a scene, where it comes from how we judge women based on that, instead of thinking of everything that led her up to those choices. It's dehumanizing to say this woman is making a scene instead of being like, oh, something's happening here, that's out of character, that's out of whack. That must mean something's going on. Let me investigate the person a little bit more rather than immediately running to judgment. So it was just making a scene. The idea of that was a recurring thing and every essay that I wrote, and they're all very personal essays, and so the title was just kind of obvious to me.
Speaker 1: I think personal is the word I thought of too, particularly the essay that you just spoke about, as well as the one about your producer m which we'll talk about a little bit more further. But I felt like you could have left out a lot of details that you intentionally put in that made it so much more nuanced and complex. The producer that I work with for the show called me and we both read your book, and she was like, I feel like every woman in the world has had a moment that feels something like this. Yeah, and it's easier sometimes to just say nothing than to quote unquote make a scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And also it's in many ways to say nothing, especially if you've gotten good at playing the game awarded for it. So it's kind of like, but at what cost, which is why I think the cost is the perpetuation of repression and misogyny and the patriarchy.
Speaker 1: You lose yourself. I felt every time I don't say something, I lose a piece of my soul a little bit.
Speaker 2: I know that sounds yeah, I feel like I lose a piece of my soul.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: To not do that, I want to be careful to not judge women who, for example, do not want to talk about these things, because I always think of my sister, who I wrote this about in this book, how she's an introvert and she's quieter, and there is a world in which somebody might judge her for not being an activist, for not speaking up. But really we shouldn't blame her. We should blame the system that puts her in that situation. But we're so quick, even within progressive feminist groups, to lay the blame on the woman. So I want to be careful that. I was, like, you know what, I am a person who is uniquely extroverted and doesn't give a fuck enough to talk about these things at the risk of my reputation or my career. I'm actually genuinely okay with that, when I know most people a lot of people aren't. So if I actually am okay with it, then why don't I do that for people like my daughter, my little sister, who that's not their natural voice. So yeah, it's a fine line, because at what point are you a pushover or what point are you just a person who's just a little bit more introverted and sensitive and less aggressive. And how do we make sure that we don't judge people like that too?
Speaker 1: That's well said. I think everyone has to make that choice for themselves. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean that's what true feminism is. It isn't the stereotype Oh I'm pretty, my bra and I have armbit hair. It's making the choice for yourself about what you want to be, who you want to be, and being allowed to be that. It's just being a fully formed human being.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that not everybody knows about your time in New York, how much you hustled, what you sacrificed when you were auditioning. Mm hmm. I loved reading about your time waitressing. You even did something that I think a lot of actors reading this or listening to the podcast will appreciate. You would put yourself on tape and submit to things even if you weren't called for that casting. Oh yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: I was really like on it. I was consumed with and I've always been consumed with being an actor. Yeah, I was hustling. Like if I would beg my agent or manager please let them give me an audition, and if they didn't, I'd be like, well, do you have an other clients who are auditioning? Give me the sides, which is the script that you use for the audition. I'll put myself on tape send it to them, and then if they didn't have the sides. There was even a time where they're like, we don't have the sides. I made it up, your kids. I wrote my own fucking script. Yeah, and I said, I'm like, this is what I think the character would do. Let me just send you a sample of what I did. I didn't get it, but like, it's so funny. I talked to young actors and they're like, ooh, but isn't that like embarrassing or bad? And I'm like, I could see why somebody might shame you for that. Fuck them, man, like do it? What's the worst that could happen? No, Okay, they tried.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I thought was interesting, Is you even did it for hustlers?
Speaker 2: I did do it for hustlers?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you had quote unquote made it already.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was after crazy ritations. I did it for hustle. I put myself on tape.
Speaker 1: There's this word in Yiddish hutzpa, like set you as such hutzpah. It's amazing I did, but I.
Speaker 2: Also it's hut spot in terms of like doing it, but also I was in like my friend's ho house and we did. So it's like I didn't have to. Like it's not like huts but like skydiving huts, but time of like it's just sort of like might argue.
Speaker 1: Yours was scarier than something else. Yeah, like emotional, Yeah, scary.
Speaker 2: But I did. Yeah, I did sent in my own, not asked for audition tape for hustlers, even after crazy rigations, was a success.
Speaker 1: And it worked. Yeah, so you wrote, though I usually take pride in my scrappiness, sometimes it feels unfair that I've had to fight so hard when other people just seem blessed. Oh yeah, you know those folks when they walk into the room, the air changes. They are the golden ones. They have the it factor. I never had. I feel emotional almost reading that again, it's so interesting because I think of you having it and so you didn't.
Speaker 2: You have met bradt I have?
Speaker 1: You have? I have?
Speaker 2: Okay, I met him once. I felt like when he walked in there was a halo around him, did you Yes, there he has a thing. He has an inact.
Speaker 1: I get what you're saying. Yeah, but I think that there's different types of charisma. Yeah, you know, like the Rock. I have not met him like big energy, he's like the way at least in interviews, he's the same way he is on TV. You have a different type of charisma, but to me, like you sparkle and I can't believe you didn't feel that way.
Speaker 2: The type of chrism I feel I have is like a familiarity, like I feel like I'm pretty good at being friends with people, but like but like the golden halo that Brad Pitt has when like when he enters a room. I had not seen anything like that, and I was like, this is That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: I get what you're saying. Do you feel like you had to like work in a different way.
Speaker 2: I definitely feel like I've had to be scrappy and I feel like I've often been underestimated, honestly simply because of my size or lack thereof. That's why that essay is called Little Cassandra. It's about when I was auditioning for a Greek play, and Greek plays are huge, right the Orisaiyah and the director was like, Ooh, I don't know what we're going to do with you. You can't carry this big Greek emotion. I was like, fuck I can, and I used all that anger that I had when he underestimated me and put it into my audition and then I got the part. But some people they walk in You're like, oh, they're the part, And I feel like I've often had to prove myself, which makes me proud, but sometimes I'm like, h not fair.
Speaker 1: I totally understand. I think a lot of people will read that and feel it. Yeah, so you end up moving to LA from New York. You want a fresh start.
Speaker 2: After a breakup. Yeah, that was sort of the in theater that made me move to LA.
Speaker 1: And eventually you book Fresh off the Boat, which is a life changing role totally. How old were you.
Speaker 2: Think, I was thirty or thirty one.
Speaker 1: Maybe such a good time to book a role like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, interesting time.
Speaker 1: Did you feel like you could breathe a little bit like.
Speaker 2: No, I felt like less. I thought I could breathe a little bit more financially, Yeah, but even then, I had been scrappy and poor for so long that having resources money it makes for the first several years of it, it makes you more paranoid, I feel, because it's like you didn't have it for so long that you're like kind of scared it's going to go away, so you're like clinging onto it. And same thing with career success. I was not able to breathe more. It made me feel like, oh shit, I got a strike while the iron it's hot, Like it took a long time for me to be comfortable with. I guess career success financial success, rather than have it, caused me more paranoia, which seems counterintuitive, but that was my experience of it, which is why I was so paranoid the first two years of that show, when I was withstanding a lot of harassment and threats from a producer.
Speaker 1: So that's the part people don't know, which I think is really I mean integral. But also so you book crazy rich Asians and so these were two central, huge moments for Asian American and Asian culture, which I think matters in the story as well, because there's so much pressure and a huge spotlight on you. So ABC renews Fresh off the Boat for season six, and a fan tweeted that the pickup was quote great news. You reply, no, it's not, and then fucking how and and more right, I'm so upset right now, I'm literally crying. And people thought you were ungrateful. Yeah, and little did they know that you were being harassed on set.
Speaker 2: At that point. I wasn't. Actually I was only harassed the first two years.
Speaker 1: But it had happened, like that had already transpired.
Speaker 2: Yes, So it was the build up of years of trying to keep that quiet.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it was like the book is making a scene because I repressed a lot of things before at this for the sake of preserving the show's reputation. But yeah, those were the scenes that made the girl. Was the sexual harassment, the intimidation, the threats, the paranoia. All that happened in the first two seasons. People didn't know, but you know, nothing's black and white. So yeah, I can understand people reading that and thinking I was ungrateful. I could understand how there was a piece of it that was ungrateful. But it's not that simple.
Speaker 1: It's not the whole story.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's this writer, Elise Lunan, and she shared this in a podcast. She said, it's important for all of us to recognize the cultural pattern of women being brought down who dare to be seen. It's effectively a shot across the bow for the rest of us. It's a warning shot of what happens when people pay attention to you. You become visible when you express yourself, yourself or gifts to the world. We can say I don't have anything to do with Megan Markle or Anne Hathaway, their celebrities, but in many ways it's the blueprint of persecution for visible women. You were so persecuted. I don't think you got your fair due, do you. No.
Speaker 2: But I don't think I'm unique in that aspect. I think that happens to a lot of people, like you were saying, Anne Hathaway, Megan Markle, women who are kind of persecuted for things that aren't that bad. Like I was talking to somebody who said something up Megan Market the other day, like, oh, I just think that she's an opportunist, And I'm like, okay, Like I guess me putting those self tape auditions on tape when they didn't even want them, I guess I'm an opportunist. True, Like if she had done something like, you know, murdered children or something, Okay, I get it. I get it if you don't like her, But it's just this, like I don't know, I just there's something I don't like about that, and I know it because I used to judge women in that way too when I was younger and more insecure. I find myself even doing it now, and that's when I have to check myself.
Speaker 1: It's the second thought that matters, though, I think, because I do it too.
Speaker 2: We all do it, and it's not our fault that we do it, So you have to not beat yourself up for it is a system that has been like pounded into us since we were little girls.
Speaker 1: I felt your struggle, I felt your ambition and your hustle, and you talk about all of the things that you did, and I'm sure you didn't talk about a lot of the things that you did to get to this moment.
Speaker 2: There's a lot.
Speaker 1: I know there is. I know it. I get chills talking about it because I have that ambition too. Yeah, I get I feel.
Speaker 2: Why is that a bad thing? Because they want us to be like who me? Oh I was discovered in the pizza parlor. I'm not like oh like I wasn't trying to be anything. Oh who MEI like, it's.
Speaker 1: Like not who me?
Speaker 2: Yes me, That's what I want people to say.
Speaker 1: But what does it feel like to work so hard and sacrifice so much and have all of that change in the matter of seconds.
Speaker 2: It the experience of that changes. You know, I'd be lying if I said that there weren't times where it hurts, where it adds to a lot of confusion. But I think there's also a way to look at it as an opportunity and as sort of like a chance to clarify your values.
Speaker 1: You kind of talk about it as a silent filter almost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but not the optics of my life. Like if somebody's gonna google me or look at my social media, they'd be like, oh, what happened to her? Blah blah blah. But the actual lived experience of my life has gotten so much better. Yeah, but it's it wasn't without some trying times, Like it still hurts when I think back to that, not when I think back to the moments where like I tweeted like fucking and sometimes I think it's funny because I'm like, oh God, that's so me.
Speaker 1: But that's left reading and.
Speaker 2: It's so me, like in a bar talking to my friends who understand the whole, They understand the scenes that made the girl they know me as a person. But to like some kid who's reading my tweets, who's like ten years old, who wants to be a TV star. That sucks for them, And I have empathy for them too, so I get that right. So it's many things. It's funny, it's sad, it's clarifying, it's fruitful. But yeah, I mean, they all want to peg you down to one thing.
Speaker 1: Is there anything that you wish people understood about your story that you think gets missed?
Speaker 2: No, I think if you had asked me that question ten years ago, there would be a lot. But I think part of the reason my life is so good now it's the freedom from worrying about that perception being misinterpreted. Yeah, freeing yourself from that is really, really, really great. But I wasn't always there, and I fall back into it sometimes, but it's gotten better.
Speaker 1: I read this, closed the last page and thought, this is a book about forgiveness. You forgive George? Who is an ex that you write about?
Speaker 2: Oh, George, these are all fake names, by the way I have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, George is probably wondering why you called him George in real life. Oh no, he knows, Okay, I was.
Speaker 2: I'm still in good terms with all my exes. And I like, I sent them the essays just to be like, hey, is this okay? That was really want to be yeah.
Speaker 1: That was cool of you. Heads up.
Speaker 2: I'd want that somebody to do that to me. Yeah, And luckily they're all like cool really yeah, even my parents. That was what I was most nervous to send the essay about my parents, the last one to send it to them, to be like, I read some personal shit in there. I was very nervous about that, but they did. Both of them did ask me to change little things but understandable. But I got to publish it, so it's good.
Speaker 1: So you forgive George, you forgave the married guy, you forgave M who was the producer, producer, and then you forgave yourself. Did I I felt like you did? Did you not?
Speaker 2: I think some days I do and some days I don't.
Speaker 1: I think I'm still so the days that you don't. What are you upset about?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's gonna make me cry right now talking about it. I think it is like you know that ten eleven, twelve year old kid. Yeah, it's like you know. The Pleasure was an essay like where I was accused of pleasures I'm like, you know, I forgive myself, but gosh, I wish I could have done something or comforted that girl or you know, not same thing with the girl who was the woman who was sexually harassed on the first couple of seasons fresh off the boat, I wish I had said something. Since then, other women, other specifically Asian American actresses have come up to me and they've been like, oh, M did that to me too. Wow, So I know that I'm not alone in that, and that those are only the women who came up to me. Yeah, like Madge, the ones that happened. M didn't do anything quote unquote that bad to me, like but still like that was his pattern. So imagine that. And when I think about that and how me saying that could have maybe prevented that from happening to other women, I feel a lot of guilt for that. So sometimes the days where I it's hard for me to forgive myself or when I think of that, but then I have to remember, like I was also in a tough place too, you know, So so it changes. It changes. Some days I do and some days I don't.
Speaker 1: You know, your essay about the stuff that's unspoken is so hard to feel, and you did such an amazing job articulating it. That's why my producer and I were able to be like, oh me too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think if you haven't experienced it, like some men who have read my book and so, and I'm like, imagine that every single day. Imagine the mental gymnastics I have to navigate around protecting this abuser's ego so that I don't seem like I'm a bitch. But I don't give in to his sexual requests either. That takes a lot of mental space. And what if I used all that mental space for my fucking work instead?
Speaker 1: Wow, or to sleep or to sleep anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like, but it's hard to understand if you haven't.
Speaker 1: Gone through it. I call it invisible hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, invisible hours is good.
Speaker 1: So you said you try on empathy for different people from your past. I've never heard anybody say that, because I was thinking, like, you try on characters as an actor, But I've never thought about trying on empathy in your book. What chapter, I don't know which chapter.
Speaker 2: I know I do that, but I don't know if I said those exact words. But yes, I oh, no, in the rape chapter. In the rape chapter, yeah, because I have empathy for my rapist, which.
Speaker 1: Is so fascinating, and you describe that in THEA and.
Speaker 2: For them, the sexual harasser of min And I think that's why my book isn't as juicy as people want it to be, because I don't villainize, and I don't villainize my rapist. I have empathy for them.
Speaker 1: Do you do that because you want people to have empathy for you or is that your natural inclination.
Speaker 2: No, it's not my natural inclination. It's something that I've developed over years because and here's my boyfriend even said like, they don't deserve it, and I'm like, yeah, I don't do it for them, and do it for me because I feel better when I'm not holding on to this resentment. I feel better and I don't blame myself when I think, Oh, what might have made this man defensive in this position? They don't deserve it. That guy raped me, m sexually harassed, intimidated and threatened me and made my life a living hell the first two years afresh off the boat. He doesn't deserve my forgiveness, but I give it to him because I deserve to have a peaceful heart. It's that old saying, like having a grudge is like drinking poison expecting the other person to die. Well, I think having empathy is like drinking nectar for your own nourishment and letting that person just be that person.
Speaker 1: You really actually helped me because I'm not great at forgiveness. Yeah, And I was thinking, like, when you start creating a backstory for a character, you're thinking about what made this person?
Speaker 2: Yeah them? Yeah, it's beautiful training it grows your own heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you don't do it because they deserve it, because those fuckers don't. But you deserve to have a big, peaceful heart. We deserve it. So what's the best thing we can do to grow our hearts without caring about Because he's got his own issues. He probably cries and jerks off at the same time and takes a shit at the same time. He's got his own issues. So you know what, let's lets him do his own thing. What are we gonna do to grow our hearts? Not because they deserve it, but because we deserve to have peace to your heart, and for me, some people anger and righteousness might grow their hearts for me, forgiveness and empathy, even when the fucker doesn't deserve it. It makes me feel really good, so I do it for me.
Speaker 1: Is there a moment that made you that maybe just didn't make the book, but really shaped who you were and who you are?
Speaker 2: I mean, I do think some of our most formative years are when we're younger, and I do think there are things that have happened when I'm older that should have shaped me more. But honestly, I think the Pleasure is an essay shaped me the most. I think it's because it's that formative time. Eighth grade. I think for some reason, whatever happens to you in eighth grade friggin sticks with you. That's why there's that movie eighth Grade. It's like something about eighth grade.
Speaker 1: Totally.
Speaker 2: But I do think there are moments that other people would think would be more formative, like me living in the Buddhist monastery, which was great. Yeah, not as formative as eighth grade. Something about eighth grade, man, I think we'll never get.
Speaker 1: Over those, like we carry that piece for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's something about eighth grade.
Speaker 1: Agree. I love your big feelings in the book, Thank You.
Speaker 2: The world does not always love them. So thank you.
Speaker 1: I know, and I think I actually repress some of mine because I know the world doesn't like them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's why people hated Anne Hathaway when she accepted her like Oscar, because she was having big feelings. And I'm like, like, so right, good for her. Don't judge her and say, oh, I think she's being in sincere, Like whatever, who the fuck cares? She's not doing anything bad, yes, but people just have ideas.
Speaker 1: So you talk about love in a way I hadn't heard anybody talk about before. You say, so this was like your first big love, and you say it was a love so strong it hurt to live our lives in separate bodies.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, I remember that. That was twenty three also a formative time.
Speaker 1: But how great that you got to experience a love that freaking deep. My god, it's the best.
Speaker 2: It's the best.
Speaker 1: Okay, So big love. I loved how you talk about it. How many great loves do you think we get?
Speaker 2: They say three?
Speaker 1: Do you believe them? Uh?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 1: What? So? I feel like it could be as many as you let yourself.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think there are a lot of little loves.
Speaker 1: But not big, great loves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I don't think it's about the person. I think it's about the time and life. I see that like eighth grade, like the year twenty three when I was dating Buck. I think at the very end of that chapter, there's a line that a lot of people respond to, which I say, there's a window in your life when you're old enough for sex to not be a new concept, but you're young enough to love without fear. And he and I found each other in that window. I think if he and I saw each other today, like I think we'd be cool, but I think the possibility of that love wouldn't be there just because it was about the time in our lives. So that's why I think it's probably three. But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it was a choice or it was a timing thing. But you didn't write about your current partner in the book.
Speaker 2: That was a timing thing.
Speaker 1: That was a timing thing. Yeah, okay, because you write about a lot of relationships and love that you have, which I love because I think they hold a mirror up to us. Sometimes women in particular, I think, don't want to write about men or their.
Speaker 2: Love, or they only want to write about it, but sometimes they don't want to because they fear they won't be taken seriously. Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 1: I think or they think that it's like not feminist, But in some way, I think our relationships really are scenes that make the girl in so many ways.
Speaker 2: I think the most feminisiesst thing to do is to be yourself. And if that's what you want to talk about, go for it. But yeah, I started writing that book at this point, got over eight years ago, and so it was before you know, I met my partner, before we were dating or any of that, and most of it does focus on my childhood.
Speaker 1: To be honest, you said you wanted to share your story because it might help someone with their own. Yeah, how specifically have people approached you about the book?
Speaker 2: For starters, A lot of other women have told me that M also sexually harassed them. It's been very disheartening how a lot of Asian American men have reacted to it, but in terms of how women have reacted to it, it's been very heartening. I think I tried to not make myself seem like I'm just this cool, likable person. I don't might trying to make myself seem unlikable, but I tried to make myself seem complex and human cause that's the kind of pros I respond to. Yeah, and I think some people, some people don't like that. They want the like, oh who mes story? So yeah, it's been a mixed bag.
Speaker 1: You talk about that silent filter in terms of being cast now, right, because the people that you're working with really match your values so much more. Yeah, you said, I'm no longer hustling to be someone posting to prove something, striving to get somewhere. Yeah, and I love when you talk about making art for you. You say there will always be people who don't get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cause if you're catering your work to the haters or to like people don't get you, then your work is just gonna become.
Speaker 1: Nothing.
Speaker 2: The thing that's special is your point of view and your voice. So if you're bending it or catering it to please people, then the thing that was great about it in the first place gets diluted or disappears.
Speaker 1: What kind of art do you want to make now?
Speaker 2: I think I'm very much a kitchen sink drama type of girl. I don't want big epics, I want small stories. I say in the book, you know, the greatest happiness to me is like my kid who's like almost three now, Like seeing her at the breakfast table with her messy hair and her pajamas on, or like holding space for her big feelings rather than trying to bargain them away, or like navigate them, just holding space for them. And I think those small human stories are what I've was originally drawn to. And I got a little lost because the fame machine was something I had never I'd always thought, oh, that looks cool, but then once you've been in it, it's a different experience. And I think some people really thrive in that experience, and that's great. I think I've learned. I don't. I think like in my car essay, I think I'm a I'm a Toyota Camry type girl, not a Rolls Royce type girl.
Speaker 1: That is really interesting to come to.
Speaker 2: I think if I was in a Rolls Royce, I would actually be more embarrassed, where some people if they rolled up in a Toyota Camry, they'd be more embarrassed. I'm embarrassed to have like you will never see you have never seen me, and you will never see me at a New York Fashion Week fashion show. No cool if other like if people are really into fashion, it's just I just feel it just feels awkward. You want to talk about somebody being insincere. I think the idea of me doing a New York Fashion Week sitting in the front row, or like me having a fancy car, that feels inauthentic to me.
Speaker 1: Well, what's your relationship with fame now, because it's like you're already famous. There's no putting the toothpaste back in the tube with fame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is, girls, you think, Yeah, that's why they call it the fifteen Minutes.
Speaker 1: No, you're not fifteen minutes. Crazy Rich Asians is everybody's favorite film was No I'll Help You. My mom, like she lives in the Midwest in Chicago, does not care about anything I do. She's like, she watches Crazy Rich Asians. She's seen it like thirty times.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: It makes people so happy.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, I mean I'll never be able to get back to my waitressing days totally. Like, I get that, But I can make choices now that align with you. My newfound knowledge of who I am, what I want, which is not fame of course, I do like having money to not worry about stop, so I had to think about that. But you know, most of the things I've chosen now have been like theater jobs or just things that align more with my values, or if I were to take a big movie, the schedule would be in service of, like my family life.
Speaker 1: What would it feel like to be on the set of Crazy Rich Asians the sequel? Now, it's cause you're such a different person than when you film the first one.
Speaker 2: I made some really great friends on that set, like Nora Aquafina and I are good friends, and Jimmy and Henry and John and I and they've all been really want Those people have been really wonderful to me. But it would be different because, yeah, we've chosen different career paths. I don't think the path that I've chosen is the one that most people would have imagined I would have chosen, but it is a choice. But then it would also just be fun to just like do a scene with me or again, like just because I fucking love her and we love each other. But it would be different, like I can't go out and drink after a night's work because I had kids. You know what I mean, so would be very different.
Speaker 1: So you dedicate the book to your daughter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this was before my son was born.
Speaker 1: So we need a second book, so we have a second dedication.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, I just breaking news. Nobody knew I had a son. I just said that on here.
Speaker 1: Oh that's fine, thank you for sharing. Yeah, it's exciting to have one of you.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we were so shocked.
Speaker 1: Did you not know till you gave birth? No?
Speaker 2: No, I mean I knew from the blood test. But even when they told me that, because my mom had four girls, I was like, oh, I'm only gonna have girls. And then they were like, you're having a boy. I was like, are you sure if.
Speaker 1: You feel prepared to be a boy mom, it's.
Speaker 2: Still early on. So like, it feels unfair for me to say like, oh, this is different because he's a boy. I think a lot of the differences I'm experiencing are I'm like, he's just a different person. It's not because of his sex. But also it's like it's our second kid, so we have less anxiety around it. We've done it before, we have the stuff, so it just feels like a different kid, but not necessarily because of the sex of the kid, but I don't know. It remains to be seen. It's still early. I mean, he's not he's still a little nugget.
Speaker 1: It's exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you dedicate the book to your daughter, and I am as I was reading it, I imagine her picking it up one day. There's so many stories about my mom that I'm sure exists that I don't know about, and she's going to be able to read about your head's face. So intimately, did you think about that when you were writing it?
Speaker 2: Not when I was writing it. The writing will not be good if you're thinking about that as you're writing. As you're writing. You need to be in the experience when you're editing and when you're going through legal. Yes, you think about that kind of stuff. And my mom was very worried for me.
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: She was like, Ah, your daughter's gonna read this someday. You sure you want her to know that you went through all this? Maybe that's not good to know? And I was like, yeah, I think, I actually do. I think me learning about my mom's difficult experiences really opened up a new world for me that I did not have appreciation for when I was younger, so I understand her point of view and I listened to it, but I stick with mine.
Speaker 1: You have to write follow your core. Yeah, I was looking. I was in Chicago cleaning out my childhood room. When I was looking at baby photos, I was looking at myself as like an eight year old, and I got so emotional for some reason. You write that essay about plagiarism the eighth grade one. Yes, when you look at a photo of yourself now as a seventh grader, eighth grader, do you feel like she would be proud of you?
Speaker 2: When I remember who I was in eighth grade, I think she might be a little bit judgy wudgie towards me, because I think that's how we teach girls to be sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think she.
Speaker 2: Would have been proud of me in the height of my crazy rigasians like success so interesting, Yeah, because I think she didn't. That eighth grader doesn't know what that feels like, that experience. She just knows what it looks like from the magazines and from social media. Me, the forty one year old, I know what it feels like because it's different.
Speaker 1: But I really have this emotional reckoning. I feel like you've been wise forever.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not wise, really, No, I'm dumb. Somebody, somebody who's wise would not tweet fucking how on you know about the renewal of her show. I think I've lost you.
Speaker 1: Would had it. No.
Speaker 2: I have had a lot of therapy and I have a lot of clarity. But I'm not wise. No, I'm very foolish. And what a gift, What an opportunity to learn? I tell myself, I do a little rapid fire, great fun. I know I talk a lot, so it's good to do some rap and shit.
Speaker 1: When was the last time you cried.
Speaker 2: Like five ten minutes ago. I think it was, yeah, when you were talking about forgiveness.
Speaker 1: Maybe I think something that Hollywood took from you, my student loan debt, Something that Hollywood gave.
Speaker 2: You knowledge that fame is not for everyone.
Speaker 1: What's something you used to think people were exaggerating about until you experienced it yourself.
Speaker 2: Sleep deprivation in motherhood.
Speaker 1: Don't tell me that it's that bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's also great, But it's yeah, it's a lot.
Speaker 1: What is a book that changed your life? Something you think everybody should read?
Speaker 2: The Neapologan Novels by Ellena Fronte.
Speaker 1: I've never heard of those.
Speaker 2: Uh, They're fantastic, and I think every man and woman should read them, especially men. Actually, even though it's a female story, humanizes women in a way that is. Yeah, the Neapolitan novels. Everybody should read those.
Speaker 1: What is the smartest decision you've ever made?
Speaker 2: Having a kid?
Speaker 1: N having a kid? Yeah, you just mentioned faith. Did you always have it or was it something that was a crude?
Speaker 2: I have an ongoing relationship with it. I have always had it. I think I've directed it in different areas, whether it's religion or art, or friendship or higher powers, what be. I think it's essential to our being. The form it takes is not always helpful to people or society, but finding the right form of it for yourself. I think this is a pretty It's like oxygen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Okay, we have a pretty smart question if you wanna open it and choose whichever one.
Speaker 2: What is the best advice someone has given you and why. One time I had a therapist. I was talking about this new friendship that I was happening, and for some reason, I was like, I was being very honest in therapy, and I was like, I don't know for some reason, like what if we hang out and it's not fun or like it's like the worst time, or he thinks I'm like a loser or whatever. And this was friendship, not romance. What if it's like sucks? And she looked at me and she goes so, and I was like.
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: So actually, okay, it's part of it. And I was like, oh, oh, and that guy and I are like still best friends to the today. It's funny. But I was like, I really wanna be friends with him, but like, what if what do you so?
Speaker 1: So okay.
Speaker 2: So sometimes when I'm having fears about things and I'm like, oh, this is the worst outcome, then I say to myself, so, okay, I mean unless it's like an actual bad outcome, like oh, you might lose your leg if you do that. Okay, that's not so that's something Oh and the worst. When I was younger, somebody once told me, and I at the time I thought it was brilliant. Someone once told me you could get whatever you want by appealing to somebody's vanities. It's true, Wow, But is it kind and is it human? And is it aligned with your values?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: And I think that's what I did my first years afresh off the boat was I played the game with my sexual harasser, and I'd be like, oh, you're such a dick whatever to make him feel like he was funny and like he was a man and whatever. I was appealing to his insecurities, his vanities of being masculine, but.
Speaker 1: At what cost.
Speaker 2: So it was a piece of advice that I used to think was good.
Speaker 1: But thank you for sharing that, Thank you for having me. Thanks Constance. Yeah, and I want to thank the people that make the show possible. Colleen O'Neill, Jill Salama, Karrie O'Keefe, and Phil speed Tech. Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day. To have a good day. I'll see you next week.