Speaker 1: Cutbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the Old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The Clearinghouse of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air everywhere, The Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Maller and Danny G Radio. It is early on a Sunday when we are recording this. I hope you're you're doing well to the final day of the Masters, myself, Ben and the great Danny G. Radio. You hear us during the week on the mighty powerful airwaves of Fox Sports Radio on the overnight show, The Ben Maler Show with Me and Danny's on with Covino and Rich during the pending on what time you're in, either afternoons or evenings, something along those lines, depending on your time zone, unless you're in Hawaii and then it's a morning show. So we do have the mail bag today. We're excited about that. It is the final round of the Masters in Augusta, Georgia. So that's going on. They don't have fans all.
Speaker 3: Do you know that Dan Bayer from the Network, he is such a fan of golf and the Masters, especially that he took two days off last Thursday and Friday so that he could sit at home and enjoy it uninterrupted and Spotty from Covino and Richie made a funny joke. He said he pictured Buyer's wife dressed up with him in cosplay, like he said, probably dressed her up as a caddie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, does he wear a green jacket while he's watching in.
Speaker 3: Just a green jacket? Time for the ball washing.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised he doesn't go to the Masters.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure if he's ever been. I'm gonna have to ask him when he returns to work next week.
Speaker 1: Remember we got asked to go. We had a place to stay in everything. Yeah, the guy's a fan of this podcast and he's, hey, I got some You know, we never did it, but one of my radio friends, Ted Ted sobol you know Ted, he he actually covered. He's covered the Master a few Masters. A few times. They have I don't know if they still do, but they had a a media raffle where certain members of the media got to play around at the Masters. If you won this raffle, you got to play around. So like that's mind blowing for a guy like Dan Byer, like who works at our Spot, our Spots. So I'm surprised Dan hasn't done that because you could win the lottery and then you get to play around at the iconic course there and you can go pee and Ray's Creek. Like did you see you see the viral video the somebody was interviewing people coming out of the Master's golf shop. This was on TikTok. I saw this the other day on how much people were spending on souvenirs at the Masters, and they the average amount was like fifteen hundred, two thousand dollars per person just going in there casually dropping two grand on what do you get for two thousand dollars at the Masters? That one person said they spent like it was like five thousand, but it was the in the video, and who knows, I mean, this may have been they might have been leaving out the people didn't spend any money, but it was all like fifteen hundred two thousand. There was like a five thousand wild you buy out like a Master's bobblehead or something like that, Like what how how much does the hoodie cost the Masters? I? Hey, good for you. I give you got the money to burn? Right, I'm assuming the client tell there at the Master's, Danny, they got a lot of extra money. If you're going to the Master's, chances are you got a lot a lot of extra cash.
Speaker 3: Oh you have, yeah, you have money to burn if you are at the Masters. Do you know what you think Coachella is bad for paying for somewhere to stay? What it's four or five times the normal rate for Airbnb's there during the Masters?
Speaker 1: Oh it's yeah, it's insane. Okay, speaking of Kachella, did you see the other day there was a twelve hour traffic delay? Oh yeah, I get out to Kachella and they said people it was much like the Masters. People were getting out and they were pulling out the snake to pee on the side of the road out there in the desert, trying to get because there was nowhere to go. They had to go to the bathrooms, so they would just let it rip right out there waiting to try to get into Kachella. Man now has that been hijacked. I we had you with us, remember the year. I don't know if you were this or not, but there was a guy that said he was going to get his passes to Kachella one year.
Speaker 3: I was with you when that happened. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the guy's like, oh, yeah, we're gonna We're gonna get everyone. They gots a big fan of the show and get you all pass it. And Coop was excited. Oh yeah, Coop was fired up. This is like the coolest in the world. And it was very kind. It was what we were excited about it. I was not as excited because it's not really my jam, but I would have gone and to just experience it. And then like it was like a week before, right, and all of a sudden, like the guy started kind of ghosting us a little bit, right remember, And.
Speaker 3: Then yeah, and then he gave me the bad news that his connection fell through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, has Cella been hijacked? Like comic con has? Like the old school comic book people are bothered because the movie studios discovered that comic con was really popular and they can monetize it. So then they started moving into comic con and putting all their big corporate displays when that was not the ethos of what Comic con was supposed to be. Right, Comic Coon was supposed to be just this nerd convention where none of the mainstream people were there. Well, Coachella wasn't it the same thing for music? Right? It was just kind of you know, that was the jam and the vibe and all that. You just go out there, do a lot of you know, the do the drugs, have a good time, drink a little bit with some music.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: And but now having the big record companies moved in to Coachella is at the same situation. Am I right on that? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Popularity wise, that shouldn't be an issue, But there's all this price gouging going on. And you look at this generation right now, a lot of them go because it's a photo op. It's like the cool place to be. Yeah, And I think of Comic On You're right, it was solely for the nerds and your very own Justin Cooper could have a table there signing liar liar headshots.
Speaker 4: Heckers driving Cooper.
Speaker 1: When I was in when when I worked in San Diego, my early I was a kid at the mighty six ninety and I remember Comic Con like it was it was going on whatever, but it wasn't like that big a thing. It was just in the nerd community. And then over the years obviously getting older and it's just just wild and crazy and wacky and all that. Let's get to the mail bag, though, we have actual letters by actual listeners. Want to thank Ohio well in advance for this little nitty it's bag. All right, here we go. This is the first one is from Mike and Fullerton. These are actual letters by actual listeners. If you'd like to send a letter in for a future episode of the mail Bag, you can do that and send that care of Real Fifth Hour at gmail dot com. That's Real fifth Hour at gmail dot com. And you're coming can and we'll be used against you in the court of the Fifth Hour Podcast. Mike and Fullerton wrights and says, Hey, Bendon, Danny g. I know we're not supposed to ask sporty questions in the mail bag, but I've got two of them for you this week. First, I don't think I need to remind you guys that wrestle Mania is next weekend. What match are you most looking forward to? For me? It's gotta be John Cena versus Cody Rhodes. I used to like Sena when he was a good guy, but he's a bad guy now. And I hope Cody wins, and second they do either of You see any team in the West slowing down the Clippers in the playoffs. They are on an absolute bernerd Yeah, I'm having trouble coming up with any threats to them. Thanks A's Mike and Fullerton. Well, I'll let Danny handle the WWE stuff, but I the Clippers. Yeah, it is hip, the clip wrong.
Speaker 3: The bottom falls out underneath of them for some reason.
Speaker 1: Why are you so negative the Clippers?
Speaker 3: It's what's always happened, unfortunately for you.
Speaker 1: They're on a heater and the key to the Clippers their new glue.
Speaker 3: Guys, guy, I remember what you Yeah, I remember what you used to say about him when he was a Laker.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I never talked about him. But the Lakers were irrelevant when Blossom. Yeah, clearly.
Speaker 3: But what do you think is going to happen as far as uh the rest of the West. Here we're waiting on all the dominoes to fall in place for.
Speaker 1: This final day. The NBA regular season today. So yeah, so the Clippers have out performed what I thought they would do. But uh, you know, we always in the back of our mind and not really in the back of our mind, in the front of our mind. We're just trying to guess. I was thinking. I was thinking about bringing back an old bit on the show this week, Danny NBA injury Bingo.
Speaker 3: Where oh boy, uh that is just like book I remember Fielding the complaint calls what we how dare he wished for injury on these four points?
Speaker 1: Well, no, we don't want anyone to get hurt, but if they do get hurt, wink, we want to we want to take advantage of that. So I would think, like Kawhi Leonard would be the top pick in injury NBA injury Bingo. I would think Kawhi would be the.
Speaker 3: He's right up there, he'd be top three for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, brother, I I'm pretty I'm pretty sure we're going to bring back in NBA injury bingo. I'm I'm I'm like eighty five percent. So as far as the wrestling, the only wrestler I care about is Ruthef So.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, did he retire?
Speaker 1: No, he's back. He's actually just signed with WWE again. He went russef went over and changed his name. He went to the other outfit, and he just re signed with the WWE. So he's going to be back as Russeph, which is exciting. So I don't know exactly when and whatnot. Tony in the Bay Area right says, case.
Speaker 3: Don't interrupt Old Cogan. I'm a real American.
Speaker 1: I need those Viamins. I need the Hulk beer. Tony Bay says, can you talk about your radio show calling days? Well, there's not a lot to talk about, Tony. I wasn't as famous as you. Tony calls up and says like he says bad words on the show, and I love Tony in the Bay He's such a good, good caller. I don't know if I'm the only one that likes Tony's work, but I always laugh when Tony. Tony's on the air, he doesn't stay on long. He's got a point and then he usually says a bad word and I just laugh. I laugh. He's one of the guys. Almost every time Tony calls, he says something that kind of makes me smile.
Speaker 3: Here's a clip of one of his calls blank my blank and blank you.
Speaker 1: Pretty much that's the way it goes. Well. We had a really funny moment the other night with Angry Bill. Also, when Angry Bill he calls up, and no matter when I take Anger Bill's call, he always bitches about whoever was on just before him, you gotta put why'd you gotta put me on? After? You know? Call her x?
Speaker 4: And then he complains yes, And I would have MLB put Angry Bill in his sheat right behind home plate and have a ball hit him square in the eye and say you help on yourself at.
Speaker 1: Mal Oh that is outstanding. That is great audio. I love it. So anyway before I was preemptive this time, so I'd put Angry Bill on. I think it was the end of hour three, and so he's complaining, so I put him back on hold. So then an hour four I'm like, all, we'll take We'll take Angry Bill. So preemptively I said, oh, let's go to Angry Bill. I can tell you what he's gonna say. I'm paraphrazy, but he'll be, oh, well, are you gonna put me on? After hollering James and all. So I put him on, and Angry Bill says, Ben Mallard go and then like f yourself and he said the full thing right there, and it was. It was very funny, very good, but no Tony. When I was a kid, I called radio shows, believe or not. I called Lee Hamilton, who I would intern for. He was a mentor of mine in San Diego, Hacksaw Hamilton the high speed sports wire. Every once in a while, it was a big deal. When I was a kid, I would be the first caller to Lee Hamilton, and he said, break the ice. Let's break the ice was his line, and I always remember I was very excited. I was an honor. To be the first caller meant a lot. But my fondest members were actually calling late night radio, which I guess was an omen of things to come in my life because I would listen late at night and scan around the radio dial and I used to listen to all these far away NBA broadcasts and baseball broadcasts from different cities in the West, and I would call into late night radio shows. I remember, here's a story I don't think I've told. There was a radio show that came out of the Boston area, and it was they did like sports trivia at night overnight, and I called in to play a couple of times, and one of the hosts, Dandy, was a guy named Tim Neverett who is now a Dodger radio broadcaster.
Speaker 3: Oh that's crazy.
Speaker 1: It's a small world, after all, it's a small, small world. I called into that. My favorite memories were this little radio show in Vegas that I got boomed into la and they were on the weekend overnight. These two like lifelong radio guys, and I don't remember their names, but I called it into that show pretty much every Friday and Saturday night and they would leave me on for like seven eight minutes, and it was like crazy. Their theme song was after Midnight. That was their theme song. Very original, I know. I thought I must be the greatest caller to their show because they leave me on for so long, and every other show would get me on and get me off the air quickly, right, So I was like, oh, man, I must be killing it. And then I realized after I asked the call screener one time, I said, what's what's going on? And I was the only one calling. No one else. No one else was called, so they had no one else to talk to. So that's why they left me on. And I used to listen to this show called the start Us Line out of Vegas. This is how archaic the world was, Nanny. It was Sunday night from ten o'clock till midnight on Sunday in the days before the internet. And this guy Lee Pete, who was a famous radio guy in Vegas. He hosted the start Us Line and they got I think it was like eleven o'clock at night on Sunday. They released the next week NFL lines. And this is in the days before the internet. This is the first place to get the NFL lines. Nobody else had the lines for the following week in the NFL. But I didn't call that show, so it doesn't really count. But I just remember, just remember that next show it.
Speaker 3: That's what it sounded like. I'm checked up about it.
Speaker 1: That's right, man, that's whole morning. Guy Alf from the Penalty Box writes in he says, Ben, any truth to the rumor that Lorraine uh was absent from her post because she was serving a one show suspension of being caught cheating at Are you smarter than an FSR tech producer? Yeah, Well, that's a great point. Lorena did get caught red handed cheating at the game we cooked up because of this podcast for her, and I have a feeling she's also going to be suspended this week for another day, so I think it's a multi show suspension. ALF stay tuned developing hot dot dot dot. And ALF also says, since Dannig is the gatekeeper of the drop archive, can I get a long distance dedication for felexis in Medina? I like to wrestle with men or Jeff Garcia's I didn't feel real crisp? That is from ALF. Those are two classic soundbites on the show. So Danny, you are the gatekeeper. You have you're sitting at Fort Knox when it comes to the drops and the history of the show and all that. So that's what ALF would like to hear.
Speaker 3: I see some felexus here. Let's see all right, let's see. Let's see what this Let's see what this one is. I'd like to alert all the affiliates down the line that some felexus classic clip is about to play.
Speaker 1: All right, put on some good pantyhose here we go.
Speaker 4: All right, a good one.
Speaker 5: Yes, this is perfect number number nine.
Speaker 1: That proves it prooves you jackass. Okay, this proves it. All of this is just tom it. Just get with it, all right, Relax, I'm trying. I'm trying to if I get it all right here, all right, all right, here we go.
Speaker 3: I'll go.
Speaker 1: He's not gonna get what I want to the angle i'd like to go. I will go. I'll just throw this out fruit banana.
Speaker 3: You got it right, of course he got banana, correct.
Speaker 1: I think you would get that right away. That's that Jeff Garcia drop the crisp one that got more airplay on Sports rate that played for about ten years on sports radio. The Jeff Garcia when he was with the forty nine ers, and he had such a high pitched voice.
Speaker 3: Oh, I found it. I found it's right here.
Speaker 1: I just didn't feel real crisp.
Speaker 3: He sounds like flexus.
Speaker 1: There athletes that have high pitched voices that don't seem like they should have high pitched boy like a quarterback Jeff Garcia.
Speaker 3: Dave Stewart of the A's wore his hat brim down low above his eyes. He was very intimidating. But then when he spoke to the media after ten strikeouts, he.
Speaker 1: Talked like this, I know Dave Stewart, that's the go to. Yeah, he had the very high pitched voice the Mets. Who is that third baseman the Mets had? Right, it was David Right. I forget, but he had a very high pitched yeah, David right. Good. Right, there you go. There's another one added to the big board. What's next? On the mailbag? AJ from jay Z not sure whether he's from Northern Jersey or southern New Jersey. He said, Hey, Ben, I know it's the Masters this weekend. Jim Nance said that it's refreshing that the Masters broadcast is not allowed to reference money. Do you and Danny agree that this is refreshing or disagree that this is refreshing? That is from AJ in Jersey. I haven't really thought much about it. Aja. That being said, I don't like censorship, and money is part of sports. This is big business, and I don't think you can completely ignore it. You shouldn't make it the only thing you talk about. But to say that you're not allowed to reference money when money is like, that's one of the driving forces of winning the Masters. It's not just the green jacket and all that. And you get to pick out the menu for next Year's dinner. It's that you win a big pile of money, and everyone that talks about later today when the Masters is over, assuming there's no weather issues and it continues into Monday. But if it's over today, it'll be like so and so won the Masters and they won blank, and we'll say how much money they want? So tell them to bring me my money. The other thing, too, Danny, is does anyone like, does this guy aj or anyone else think jim Nantz is going to say anything to criticize the Masters. That is his baby. That is his baby. He is as known as mister Masters as anybody. So he's not going to do anything. He's a partner with the Masters. Nance isn't gonna come out. So I don't want you know, I disagree with this. We should talk about money. He's never gonna say that, all right. Next up is Kevin in Kansas, he says, Dear Ben and Danny g As, I am visiting family in Fargo. I stopped at the Roger Merris Museum, the Native Son, of course, the great state of North Dakota. He says. Here's a picture. He sent along, a picture of a baseball game he endorsed it's old school, but I'll bet it's fun at the time. What old school sports games do you remember playing? That is from Kevin in Kansas.
Speaker 3: Any old Oh yeah, is he talking like pick? We're in the backyard. We'd put two old gloves down on the ground as the bases.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, yeah, that was good. And remember we played it was called smear the something I forget.
Speaker 3: The uh smear the felexus.
Speaker 1: That was. That was an enjoyable game on the player. They you know we did some of the games we did. They still did it, like the dodgeball. I think they're not even allowed to do dodgeball anymore. Right, kids could get hurt you kind of play dodgeball? What's wrong with you?
Speaker 3: How about butts up? Did you ever play that?
Speaker 4: Ga?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, butts up? And we played with that heavy racquetball, the blue purpleish racquetball, and you had to run and touch the you know, it would be like either a handball wall or just a concrete wall. You had to run up touch the wall if you mishandled the ball, and if someone else picked it up and their throat to the wall, beat you before your hand touched the wall. You to stand up there face first against the wall and they got a free fastball pitch at the back of you, supposedly trying to get your ass, but we would get beaned in the kidney, in the back of the neck. Ahead there was kids. They would play this at the bus stop ben here in La when I was a little kid, and I remember kids blubbering on the bus because when the bus would arrive, the kid that got being the hardest in the back, would still be crying. Oh that's great. It was super violent.
Speaker 1: I remember the playgrounds that we had as kids, Danny with all the metal and in the summer, how hot, you know, the playground stuff would get and some of the there was a slide in the neighborhood I grew up in that had like chain link and it was a very hot metal slide. Like they didn't even give a shit about trying to keep the kids safe at all. It was just like whatever, just go out there and have fun. And it was a wild.
Speaker 3: Half that stuff was rusty too, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, rusty. And I remember this slide which was really cool. So you climb up it was pretty high up and you had to crawl through this little tiny hole to get in there and then I could do it a little. We'd get in there and it smelled like urine because the teenagers at night would go in there and piss or whatever, and it was disgusting and as you said, a little rusty and whatever. But you know, fond memories as an adult. Kwang rites in from Vietnam. He says, Ho Chim in Vietnam. That's what he says in the email. Anyway, big Man and Danny g Yeah, did you see that LeVar Ball opened up about his condition that led to his amputation. He sends the link sent a link here from the USA Today. He says, you guys should try to get him on the pod. I would love to talk to LeVar Ball if he's available. You think we can track down LeVar Ball? You think you do it? Or we have to pay him like ten grand to do the podcast.
Speaker 3: I remember how it depends if he's pushing something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. If he's got some to remote will probably we'll probably get him to do that for sure. Ball. Stay in your lane, Dan, you got to stay in your lane. It's not a referee. I'm not gonna have my guy's paying hard.
Speaker 2: It ain't cheat I don't think that.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get on out of here, take some photos with my folks. Though. Man, there you go, great LeVar Ball. What a character. For about two months he was a big star. Marcus in San Antonio rights into the mail bag. He says, changed jobs about a year ago, stayed with my within my current profession, and was slightly recruited, so it was a fairly easy transition my new place of employment as a lot of younger people working there, it's more of a clinical setting. I recently had a conversation with my supervisor because I had made a comment to another coworker. The comment was nice boots. I was told it sounded too much like nice boobs that he The meeting was fairly casual and pretty sure my boss understood people were being hyper sensitive. My question is, and Danny G might be more suited to answer this, have you guys experienced anything like this over the years. I mentioned Danny G because only because this history of FM radio and all the possible hijinks that can ensue from working in the genre. Much appreciation for the read, and he says the most entertaining podcast A bit. We're very kind from Marcus, so I think what he's asking is, have you gotten in trouble with HR? Have you gotten in trouble with HR at all?
Speaker 3: I've been spoken to, and it wasn't just me. There was this DJ who did mid Days on one of my FM radio stations, and I won't say her name, Jackie, but she was very sensitive and I said I made some sort of comment about girls' asses, and I got called into the HR. We don't have those anymore. Remember when we had an HR department.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the live human beings. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I got called into the HR director's office at this radio station and she explained to me why I could not talk about girls' asses inside the workplace.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's quite the you.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you. I'll tell you one from one of the I won't say which sports network because I've worked for a couple. One of them, though, there was a female employee and a lot of things we would say on the show. She would come running into the main studio afterwards and explain to me, you're not in safe harbor. You're not in safe harbor. You guys think you could say anything? And it oh Man Ben. When she left the company, it was such a relief hallelujah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hallelujah situas. And we had one of the places I worked, I will protect the guilty. So one of the places we worked, we had a major staff meeting for sexual harassment. And there were some former NFL players that were working at the place I was working at the time, and one of them, one of them, sat in the back of the meeting and was mocking the person that was teaching the class. And because they did this whole thing about elevator eyes, about how you're not supposed like that's sexual harassment if you look at a like if you're a dude and you look at a woman like up and down, you know.
Speaker 3: Oh lord. And by the way, Ben I could relate to his incident because yeah, I was mentioning female's asses. We were talking about a rap video. We were playing a certain song and then we were commenting on the video give me a f and Break. It's not like I looked at her and said something about her ass. She was just mad because she didn't have one exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm right there, I'm right there with you, but I remember that particular and then there's see, like the problem with the harassment there's a legitimate harassment. And then, like anything, there's people that are just out trying to make some money and get you know, ruffle feathers, and then they complain about everything and it's like, yeah, pain in the pain in the behind.
Speaker 3: But thank you Marcus for your no you could say, ask there's no HR department.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're good on that. What else do we have? Let see page down here on the mail bag? Do a couple more we have. Nick in Wisconsin says, as I write this email, I'm currently listening to our number two of the Wednesday Original Recipe podcast. I forgot my earbuds this morning, and I realized this halfway into my commute. So I get to ask the question here, what is the worst item that you have realized that you forgot on your way to work? Laptop, headphones excluded, always listening, just no good questions lately? So thing you forgot that you needed that? What are you doing? One time I went to the store and I got there and I got all my groceries and then I realized I had left my wallet at home. That was that was awkward. Oh I was at the I'd put everything on the thing at the grocery store to pay for it, and then I reached into my pocket to grab my wallet to pay. I didn't have my wallet. Ben.
Speaker 3: I once walked a date all the way up to the entrance of the Oakland Coliseum for a Raiders Jets Monday night football game, and we waited forever for security. We finally get to you know where I needed to show my tickets. You know that swell the massive cattle that used to be there near security and the entrance. So we're in all that mess. And I realized as I pulled my season tickets out, I grabbed the wrong season tickets. I grabbed the tickets that were for the next home game from my stack. Luckily they were in my car, but as you can imagine, my car was probably a mile away and some you know, off the beaten path parking lot that and that's a mess all around that Oakland Coliseum if you know anything about it. Ben, I left her there at the entrance because I didn't want her to have to huff and puff back to the car. I ran, like Carl Lewis, all the way to my car, got the right tickets, ran all the way back. I was drenched in sweat by the time we entered that Monday night football game.
Speaker 1: By the time he got in the stadium, the Raiders were down twenty one nine.
Speaker 3: No, that's back when they were good. That's back when Rich Gannon was the quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a long time ago. All right. How dare you Scott from Northern Kentucky, right, sin says Ben and Dan G Ben and Danny g as always, I love the show every single night and the weekends. What if any is your biggest fear or phobia? Your fear of phobia?
Speaker 3: Ooh, that's a good question. What's his?
Speaker 1: He says his his heights, He's scared the death of them. And then he says, thoughts on the Renaissance Fair and the weirdos that go to it. I worked at a venue that was right next to it for years. A bunch of dirty weirdos, is what I remember. I was surprised with you that Loreno works there. Yuck. I hope to get to meet you at the Ohio Meet and Greet, hopefully in Cincinnati. That's Scott from Northern Kentucky. So biggest fear of phobia? What do you got, Danny?
Speaker 3: Oh, definitely it is claustrophobia. Yeah, I do not like being in a tight squeeze. When I was talking about all those cattle at the entrance, I hate that feeling when people are shoulder to shoulder with you. I was inside the Old House of Blues in LA before they bulldozed it, and they had famous R and B and hip hop concerts there upstairs. They called it the what was the name for it. It was like the industry Room, industry level or some bullshit. They called it like that. So all the muckety MUCKs were up there, all the celebrities were up there, and back then radio people were looked at as celebrities, believe it or not, up there, And there was an eminem concert Ben when he had just blown up. And I'm up there and it was talk about wall to wall. No, I couldn't move. The flow of the room was not even moving because they broke fire code. And next to me was the actress. Oh shoot, she dated fifty cent back in the day. It's not gonna come to me right now, but famous actress next to me and her bodyguard was squished next to her, and I'll never forget because the side of her was touching me. She probably hated that. She looked at her bodyguard and she said, get me the fuck out of here now, dude. I almost had a panic attack because and you see movie scenes sometimes where like somebody is trapped alive inside a box or locked in a closet or a trunk. That freaks me the f out When I see that, imagine you'd claw your fingernails off. I just I can't even watch those scenes. I have to turn the channel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's beat I it's one of those weird things like I've had an MRI or two in my life where people say the MRI is a nightmare because the thing you're like stuck in that little thing. But that didn't really mess me up. But yet, if I'm in a place where I don't, I don't see a path to get out of it. Because even on the MRI, I always thought, well, I could just slide up and kind of get out of this thing. You know. Yeah, I'm in a in a room where I don't. There's no real path to get out. That's terrible. The height thing is is pretty pretty, you know, solid as well. I just you know, the idea that you make one mistake and then that and then you're done. That's that's it. Those are pretty good. And Scott, I have no firm plans on the Ohio meet and greet, yet I am efforting that and I'm going back and forth. But even if it's not in Cincinnati, I hope you'll make it. And even if it's in Cincinnati, it doesn't guarantee you're going to make it. Remember I went to Charleston and Jerome, and Charleston did not come to see me because that was a couple of blocks away. And I offered to buy him a meal and he still said, I I'm not doing that, Jake, and Toledo writes in on the back, wet a couple more get out of here. On this Sunday, final day of the Masters, he says, guys, did you see that d P one member the Malam Militia russef Re signed. Yes, we talked about that earlier. You were not listening. Russef made my kids that in my day when he pointed at our Ben Mahler loves Russef signed a few years ago. And you get him on the podcast. That is awesome.
Speaker 3: Oh here here he is right here.
Speaker 1: Listen, bet friends, we're best friends. You see that.
Speaker 3: Wait, we're pretty impressed. I gotta say it. Usually Ben's lying about who he's friends with.
Speaker 1: I was wrong, I bet I remember right now.
Speaker 4: I remember the story of giving you his shoes because you were so much step back in the day.
Speaker 1: Remember that, Yes, exactly, see that.
Speaker 3: Wait, he gave you shoes.
Speaker 1: That's so good?
Speaker 3: Yeah, look at that. You really were friends with him? We doubted you.
Speaker 1: No. It's one of my favorite stories from this dopey run I've had in radio is that Russef was a penpal when he was going to he was going to wrestling school in Florida, and he was homesick, and he's from southern California. Is a big Clipper fan, believe it or not, Danny, and so he used to listen to the show and he started emailing me. And at first I didn't know anything about like his story or anything like that. And he eventually told me like, Hey, I'm gonna, I'm gonna I'm going to school to become a wrestler. And I was like, okay, and then I looked it up and the WWE had a school in Tampa, and I kind of forgot about him. He stopped, we stopped corresponding, and then all of a sudden, I see him on TV and I'm like, WHOA, what the f And then he came into WrestleMania and a tank, like an old German tank or something like that. It was craziness.
Speaker 4: What's wrong with your Clippers?
Speaker 1: Nothing's wrong with the Clippers that day, all right? But yeah, Jay, we should try to get Russeph on. I can see if I can get in touch with him. He was know as or Murrow Muro. I believe it was when he was known as when he went to the other place, but he's back to being Russeph. Last one, Gary in Pittsburgh rights and says Ben, I was going to use this question to break my cherry on the weeknight show, but since you put up the bat signal for Sunday content, we'll do it here instead. I was scanning my TV guide for something to watch and I came across the channel. This channel on the fledgling cable network in the North Woods. It was the news channel, but there were some some of the programs they had on this Saturday morning. They had lane golf, they had I had to google what that was. Wiffleball All Star Game twenty twenty Tetris Championship and a kickball a tourney, among others made up made up sports, other made up sports, So says the email here from Gary says, I know you and Danny are both playing the world's too smallest violins for them. But if things are so bad they moved their operation from LA back to Bristol, Connecticut, why not just get rid of this channel and save a ton of money? Or is it once you get a piece of real estate on the dial, you don't give it back. Seems all the programming costs would outweigh any franchise fees the cable companies give them. Am I off on this? Or is there really a robust market for the air guitar playoffs? That's from Gary Pittsburgh. Yeah, the whole ESPN thing. They're under the Disney umbrella. And you've always got to please the taxpayers and not the taxpayers, the stockholders, right, the people that invest in the company. And see, you've always got to keep turning profits. And I think Gary knows how that works. We all know how that works. And it's a tough thing. There was a point where everyone watched Sports Center. It was a very important show and people loved it, and unfortunately ESPN just lost their way over the years. They sold out to the Wolkesters and they're not doing that great, but there's still there's still people watching it. I don't know if there's any real need for the news channel though, I can't remember the last time. We used to watch that all the time. But there's a lot of things we used to do that we don't do anymore. So, but you definitely don't give up a channel. Very rarely does a channel just go out of business. Normally they get rebranded, like you'd say, right, well, we have this, and all those deals are brokered with the cable companies and the satellite providers and all that, so you don't get rid of it. You just change name. For example, I worked at a channel called Versus, which became NBC Sports Channel NBC Sports Network, and then change names again and became I don't know what it is now. I think it's like some outdoor channels or something like that. But when I worked there, originally it was called Versus and then they switched the name of it, but they didn't get rid of it, you know, just doesn't disappear. So on that note, Danny, I will get out of here. It is a the end of the day here and said, watch the end of the Masters later today, this afternoon, and then tonight be back in the Magic Audio Box to break it all down and start out a new week of programming here and coach you'd like to share with? Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, in fact, guess who has more time off?
Speaker 1: Who's that?
Speaker 3: Dan Patrick?
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 3: No way? So tomorrow morning nine to noon Eastern Covino and Rich myself in Spot and Iowa Sam are going to be filling in on the Dan Patrick Show Monday through Wednesday.
Speaker 1: We're doing the hat trick Monday through Wednesday. Very cool, and I will be doing the overnight show all week. No days off. Maybe a little rain old get suspended for another show later this week, but no days off. Have a wonderful thank you for listening to podcast by you guys have been great And if you want to send a letter in next week, Real fifth Hour at gmail dot com. Real fifth Hour at gmail dot com. Put mail in the headline Real fifth Hour at gmail dot com, name and city, name and city if you want credit. Otherwise, we'll just goof with you and we'll talk to you next time.
Speaker 3: Just give me a pile of meat. Astapasta, got a murder. I gotta go.