Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington welcomes Mike Armstrong March twenty seventh through the twenty ninth. Then it's the Lexington debut of Lorie kil martin April third through the fifth, and catch rising comedy stars Sam tallon April eleventh and twelfth. Comedy Off Broadway opened then downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven, and they're still bringing the best and stand up comedy to the area thirty eight years later. Call eight five nine two seven to one joke or visit Comedy Off Broadway dot com com Off Broadway.
Speaker 2: Welcome everyone, This is Kentucky Sports Radio. Monday, March the twenty fourth, a Sweet sixteen edition of KSR Live from Merrillville, Indiana, wherever that is on the road to the Sweet sixteen with Clark's Puppetshop foam line eight five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven Avery's an autoglass text machine seven seven two seven seven four five two five four. In this edition sponsored by the T. J. Smith Office called TJ He'll make Them Pay. We are in Merrillville, Indiana, just south of Chicago and Gary, Indiana, where we stopped last night after a celebratory, celebratory drive from Milwaukee as Kentucky mates of Sweet sixteen for the first time since twenty nineteen. Matt Jones, Ryan Lemon, Drew Franklin, Shannon the Dude Mario is here as well. We are a sleepy group as we rolled in here about one am Eastern time, but very excited as the Cats get a big win yesterday against Illinois. Now get ready to face Tennessee at seven point thirty in Indianapolis on Friday night. I got a text message this morning, Ryan from that my mom has already booked a hotel room in Indianapolis.
Speaker 3: Wow, Karen's excited about this trip to indian.
Speaker 2: I gotta find tickets. That's when you're looking at.
Speaker 3: Those prices aren't cheap.
Speaker 2: That's okay, A loving son. Yeah, hopefully maybe somebody listening there is like I'd like mad his mom to get a couple of tickets. But we've got a few days to get brick it ready. And it's there because for the first time Sin's twenty nineteen, we go to the Sweet sixteen thanks to Pope. In this group of I don't want to say ragtag vagabonds, but there is a little bit of vagabond nature. First team in the history of the NCAA tournament to go to the Sweet sixteen who returned zero points from the season before Ryan Limit.
Speaker 4: That's all makes I think this team so endearing to all of us. We know what we were getting into when this. When Mark Pope got hired and he put together this roster in two weeks, we kind of knew this ragtag bunch is kind of what they are from Direxel, Fairley, Dickinson, Dayton and look where they got us.
Speaker 3: They got us into Sweet sixteen.
Speaker 2: You know, when when Cal came, I remember saying this when he came, you do a you do as a it's a bet you're betting on you're gonna be good immediately, which happened. And the trade off for that is when you leave, you're starting over. And that's even more true in the transfer portal layer that even becomes and that's exactly what happened. And most people would assume, Okay, starting over is going to be a two or three process, it's gonna be difficult, and instead Mark Pope has this in the Sweet sixteen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think it's fair to call them what you all said, because They said it themselves at the podium yesterday. I don't remember if it was Butler or Mari, but they're like, we were overlooked. We didn't have a bunch of stars, didn't get a lot of offers. We had to work our way to get to this point, and that's what made it so much special for the guys themselves.
Speaker 6: So it's just not a fan opinion.
Speaker 5: They feel that way themselves, that they kind of were an underdog role until getting here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then, you know, I thought, to be honest with you, when the season started, just make the tournament. I felt like that they had done a good job in the portal, but that they were probably one player short, and then their best player gets hurt and is out for the year, and so now in some ways your two players short, and yet you're still in the sweet sixteen. Shandon, I mean, I don't know how. You can't be anything but thrilled about that.
Speaker 7: As soon as they got that win against Troy, I felt like there was a weight lifted at two all too right, Yeah, you've moved on to the second round, then you've win. Yesterday, I think that was the most impressive defensive performance of the entire season yesterday?
Speaker 2: Did you realize on that point that in the last thirteen games Kentucky is eleventh in the country defensively? That's crazy after being one hundred and fifteenth before that.
Speaker 3: But who saw that coming?
Speaker 2: Not me?
Speaker 3: Not me.
Speaker 7: But you know, I don't think this team's finished yet. And if Tennessee and go on to the Elite.
Speaker 2: Eight, well then you're legendary.
Speaker 3: It's legendary run, especially in the first year from our posts.
Speaker 6: Yeah, remarkable stock.
Speaker 2: You know, you don't have to do the remarkable tried early in the year.
Speaker 6: They're working their way into it.
Speaker 2: It was, you know, it was what are you laughing at? It was exciting. You know. Milwaukee was weird in some ways because it ryan wasn't as many UK fans as usual, right, the ones that were there were very excited. I think, you know, it's a it's a broader conversation about the way we do the SEC tournament. I think it hurts us in the first and second round with attendance was where we treat it as you know, comic con. Really, I mean that's kind of how our fans treat the SEC tournament now. And then they take the first and second round off, and I think we'll treat it as Comic Con again in Indianapolis. But it made it sort of weird. It made it weird to be in an environment that was pro Illinois. But yesterday they never let those fans ever really get into the game. They had that. I mean, that arena was bustling with a line and they just couldn't get into it.
Speaker 4: It was almost a home game for Illinois. But every time Illinoi'd make a run, we had guys that come down and hit a big shot. Every every single time we would stop their run.
Speaker 2: Think about some of those Colin Chandler hit one. Braa hit one. Butler got the steal and the pass to Garrison for an an one. I mean, those moments just kept having it. He Andrew probably made the biggest one is they I'd forgotten until I saw the highlights. They cut it to six and then Carr got the end one that kind of put up put away the game.
Speaker 7: To Kentucky's credit, though they came out, they set the tone early and they never allowed those Illinois fans to get into it. If it had been you know, you flip that script and Illinois comes out, and you know goes on a big run. Think that that maybe could have changed the tone for the entire.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean they started the first and second halves drew great. I mean Brad Underwood said we lost the game in the first five minutes the first half, in the first five minutes in the second half, And I think that's right. I think, you know, coaching, I think it showcases itself to me, coaching at the start of games, start of halves, and then in the last two minutes, and when it comes to the start of the game, the start of the half, our guys aceed it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like you said, they had an answer anytime Illinois got close. Maybe I'm crazy, but I feel like Gonzaga duke all the big wins, Andrew Carr had like a late and one like he just right. Numbers could prove me wrong, but I feel like I've seen him do that over and over this year. That and just defensively, I thought they were amazing. Once they got that lead, they were just able to protect it. Sure they had an answer on the other end when Illinois would get hot. But for Illinoid had fourteen turnovers and there were fourteen stills. That is a pretty crazy statistic. Well, first of all, you know Mark Pope, he shortened the rotation.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, I think I think if O Way doesn't get in foul trouble, you would have had five guys playing thirty minutes, you know, which is what we've been calling for all year. But you know what, may I may you know there was maybe a plan to get these guys minutes so that because Colin Chandler played eighteen minutes. I mean again, think about think about a month ago. If I told you Colin Chandler was playing eighteen minutes in the second round of the NCAA tournament, You'd think I was nuts.
Speaker 3: He was the eleventh or twelfth man a month ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, back then he was afraid to shoot a three. If you told me he'd shoot from the logo, I'd be like.
Speaker 2: Well, what kind of logo shot that was? I have to admit the logo shot was when I had gotten nervous and walked away for a minute. I hadn't seen the logo shot till the highlights. That was a logo shot. He didn't have to shoot that. But how about him having to get it rupt that wouldn't shoot a three?
Speaker 7: Him having the confidence to day now, and then he does it so calm and cool.
Speaker 2: You know, Yes, he's gonna be good. Man, He is gonna be There's just something about his nature and his athleticism. Colin Chandler is gonna be good.
Speaker 4: We've seen him develop as years gone on. I don't know because he was two years off from basketball, but now he's like he's get as many minutes as anybody coming off the benches and six man.
Speaker 2: As we're sitting there and I expect him to come back, but as we're sitting there kind of waiting official words, oh wait, will be the one we wait for the most, probably meaning like it's the biggest, But I think Chandler might be second for me. No offense to everybody else, but I think when I'm sitting there, going all right, who's coming back, Chandler's maybe going to be the one that, you know. I mean, I'm out there looking at his fiance's Instagram post saying we're gonna move our home to Lexington, and I'm like.
Speaker 3: Good for you, girl, Yeah you go girl, you go girl.
Speaker 2: There's good good, there's good opportunity in Lexington for you.
Speaker 6: Spare time to buy.
Speaker 3: It's not the mortgage help you with your financing.
Speaker 2: Uh, so we get the win, and you know, for Mark Pope, yeah, we talk. You know, you can see there's a video we put Mario put online in my speech last night about kind of the community of BBN. But there was you know, it was such a cool feeling on the court and I intentionally walked back. So for people who didn't hear the post game show, I watched the game at the Saint Kate Arts Hotel that I did not understand you more specifically in the bank lobby attached to the Saint Kate Arts Hotel.
Speaker 3: Because that's where that's where the TV was.
Speaker 2: Well, that was where a TV was without sound, no sound or people or people except the man telling people they couldn't go to the restroom. And uh, you know, there were a couple of times all I got nervous. What are you laughing at?
Speaker 3: You're just you're incredible?
Speaker 2: Why why I am? But why your mine?
Speaker 7: Well again I said this on the postgame ship when we drove from Kentucky to Milwaukee. Yes, you have the ability to go in and get really good seats, by the way, I understand, and you decide I don't want.
Speaker 3: To go into the arena watch the game.
Speaker 2: So I was in there before the game.
Speaker 3: I want I want to go to a bank watch it on a TV.
Speaker 7: And most people would say, I would like to get, you know, some audio so I can hear the game.
Speaker 3: You don't know, I want to know what.
Speaker 2: I gave my own audio. Yeah, I had my own my own commentary. So what is it about that? Are you just just being in there? There's just too many nerves and like I you know, and I thought I'd be able to watch this one, but I didn't.
Speaker 3: He watched the Troy game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that one was more nerve wracking in some ways. But but but but I decided to walk back because I wanted to be in the post game atmosphere. I was running. It was pouring ring. I mean, I just it was pouring ring, and I was running back and I'm too old to be running. These are not running shoes, these Jordan's eleven Low's. I don't know when they made these. They didn't make them for Milwaukee street environment. So I'm running back. I get there. I get there like right as the game ends. I mean, the game has just ended, and I run on the court. I'm dripping like a wet dog. Uh and I go in there and just seeing the post game ran environment was so cool. I mean, people, you know, giving me five and then you see, you know, you take these players and one player is with Pope on CBS, then one player is with Jack on the local radio, then another with Noah Eagle and Tom Creane on the national radio, and it's Butler Oway and and Brea, and then the other players are up in the crowd celebrating. It's just it was just a just an awesome environment and it was just such a great feeling. And I've had that feeling a few times over the years, right the twenty twelve National title game. You know, I remember when they in twenty fifteen when they just pounded teams the environment after the game, but nothing seemed to me to be that shared where the fans and the players and the coaches were sharing it together. Usually they run in the locker room, and to see that moment you have to go in the locker room. This was shared in front of everybody, and Ryan that was really cool. I don't know that I've ever seen that before, and I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 4: Well, like we talked about on the postgame show, the other night. Not only did we need this as a fan base, that locker room needed that. They you know, Mark Pope needed that. You know, he looks over and he sees Arkansas and BYU in the sweet sixteen.
Speaker 2: And that shouldn't have mattered, but it probably would. It probably would act that b why you made it, which is where he was and John cal Perry made it, which is where who was here before. Sure they both had won the day before, and he matched it, right, so almost anything that happens next. You know, you got to the second weekend and he matched it, and I think which is more than both of those schools had done before. I think that's a big deal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, everybody likes to get online and bicker about who won or who's doing this, but I think we can all just look at each other and go, look, all we all one of those teams improved and got an upgrade however you want to look at it.
Speaker 6: So I think it's big that all.
Speaker 2: We all won. It was the very I always say when people break up somebody it's one person wanted it more than everybody else. But maybe that's not always true, because in this case, everybody won. You know, look at these three schools BYU ended up getting the coach that their biggest donor had won it and had kind of groomed so that when he got there, they got the nl in ile money to go get whoever they want. If you listen to my Orn Metcalf, he says they'll have the most in ale in the country and that dude was only gonna give it if that guy was the coach.
Speaker 6: They already have the number one player locked in.
Speaker 2: So it worked for them. Sure, then you look at cal he was done here, he was done. It was over. There was gonna be no in Ale. They wouldn't have had the money to go get John L. Davis. They wouldn't have the money to get jonas a do. There was no money here for him because people were done with it. They just were. And he was done. He was grumpy and he was angry and it was over. He goes, gets this big pot of money, takes him a little while, but gets reinvigorated and now uses the underdog roll to get a couple wins and then Mark Pope. The thing this fan base needed was to come together as one feel the energy of BBN, and you couldn't pick a better person to make that happen. Everybody won, and in our case, we won, and we won Ryan like we want to win, yes, which is as like a group feeling like we're a part of it. That's what we want. We want that more than anything. We like winning more than any We like winning. But when we can win the way we enjoy to feel it, it's even better.
Speaker 4: It's hard to explain, but you're exactly right. We want those guys. They're a different kind of one and done, but we want them to appreciate what that means to put that Kentucky jersey on and love for this program and love the fan base.
Speaker 3: And they've got that with this group.
Speaker 2: If you think about when Cow was here, the players that we beloved the most were the ones who seemed like they wanted to be here the most, even going to like DeMarcus Cousins, right, Michael Kidd, Gilchris Tyler Eulss. The guys that people felt like they're playing with this. Yeah, I know they're gonna leave, but they love this. And the ones that it felt like it was a pass through, people didn't feel the connection. This was the kind of group, though, that we really want. No, they're not like Richie Pelfrey feld House Woods you know from Kentucky or right here here, but they appreciate this opportunity. I had somebody close to otega Olways say to me, I'm almost certain he'll come back because he knows this place changed his life.
Speaker 6: That's what we want.
Speaker 2: It's pretty powerful. That's exactly what we want. And this is the group that has done that. If I'm nine eight twenty two eighty seven, we're just gonna be talking about this all day. We are here in Merrillville, Indiana, mall like we say, Marvell, it's Marraville. How do you know? You said you you said you didn't know where this was?
Speaker 3: You be eight hours? You think you're a local?
Speaker 2: Now yeah, you I literally said where are we gonna stay? And you said, I don't know anything about that place?
Speaker 4: And now you didn't like looked at it. But I know it's they pronounce it. I grew up in Indiana. It's when I.
Speaker 2: Asked you last night, you said you'd never heard of it.
Speaker 3: I knew I didn't know where it was. So it's Marvel, Marraville. It could pronounce it.
Speaker 2: Break can be right back. This welcome back. It is Tucky sports radio. We already had one listener figure out where we are. It's like it is amazing, well well done Maryvale. Is it Maryville or Merylville? I was right, Mayville. You act like you said Maryville? I did. He did check the taple say Maryville, Maryville, I said Merrillville. Oh I was right, Thank you, missus. I grew up in Indiana wanted to play for Bobby Ain't he was wrong.
Speaker 3: I was right.
Speaker 2: No five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven text machine seven seven two seven seven four five two five forward Hillard huge head.
Speaker 3: What a name?
Speaker 2: No says as a daily listener since twenty twelve. I think I need to acknowledge that not watching the game in the arena then rushing back to get a photo op with Pope was lame.
Speaker 3: Oh, huge head foul.
Speaker 2: First of all, Harold huge head, I never watched the game in the arena. You know that.
Speaker 3: Why don't we go to be there? But you're not there?
Speaker 2: I am there in spirit.
Speaker 6: He likes the local banks.
Speaker 2: No, I mean I like to be there before and after the game. I did not try to get a photo off. He just was there and then I was accepted. See you can't even have a nice moment without somebody trying to ruin. That's all right, And I didn't even know there was gonna be a picture like Dylan and Mario. I didn't even know whobody was gonna be there. Don't worry about what hero well, Harold huge head trying to spoil my vibes, kind of like Ryan trying to spoil my pronunciation of this beautiful town.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he did tell you it was Marvel.
Speaker 2: I don't think that was.
Speaker 3: He's like Marvel.
Speaker 2: One person writes, Matt, do you think Travis Perry will end up not staying because he didn't play? I mean no, I don't think it's gonna be. Whatever happens is not gonna because of that, you know. I I think Colin Chandler developing will have an impact on what Travis decides to do. I have not heard that he would do something else. But Colin Taylor's good, and he's athletic, and I don't know if he ever considered playing point guard, but now he had to do it the way it worked, and I actually think he's pretty good at it.
Speaker 5: Drew, you know, yeah, uh, just with his athleticism. I don't want to get too far ahead. But if he continues to develop, he could see a chance at an NBA career because for a guard, the way he plays in the athleticism and and.
Speaker 2: He's big, He's got size, and he's athletic, and he can shoot, you know. I mean he was playing defense Ryan well before he started playing offense. He just looks scared to be shoot. Well, now he's not scared to shoot.
Speaker 4: That's how I earned his minutes with good defense. I I never envisioned him as a solid point guard, but he's proved me wrong. And the fact that he can hit the shot from outside that does make h a little more dangerous.
Speaker 2: What was your favorite moment of the game yesterday? What was there a play or something that was specific that you liked. Anybody can speak up here.
Speaker 4: Don't remember, Like, yeah, the Brandon Garrison at the end one because he walked right in front of us. I mean he was like two feet from us and he's flexing and he's saying things we can't say on the radio, and.
Speaker 2: That I think that was la. I mean remember we had turned it over, yeah, and we stole it right.
Speaker 7: Back from him and a Visa had a block three point shot by Mari.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that was. And then on the other end went to.
Speaker 2: Yeah that last night when I was watching the highlights, I think it's stan Van Gundy goes why did he shoot that? Ye? Like I Mari was right there. Did he think he was gonna be able to shoot it over him?
Speaker 5: Mario could have blocked him with his armpit he that so well defended. And Mario also had another coast to coast dunk. I know we were all a little frustrated to Mario early he couldn't make a layup, but the coast to coast in both games in Milwaukee were fun to watch him.
Speaker 7: Looks like Yanna's still a couple of times where he's dribbling the ball way too much, but you know what, I'll take that trade off for what you get on the other end.
Speaker 2: And you know, he had I thought a bad first half that he turned into a great second half, which is exactly what you want to see. I mean, you're not gonna always be good, so bad first half turned it into a great second half.
Speaker 4: Jack Gibbons walked in front of him at halftime. We're like, why didn't he just dunk it? Why didn't a Mariy just dunk it. He's right there in the basket, He's seven foot tall. Just dunked the basketball.
Speaker 2: I watched games on and off with Larry as a child, and he only had one analysis ever of games. Why didn't he just dunk it? He's been he's been doing that, like every time a big man would miss a layup. Going back to Jared Prickett, I like you, Jared, but you were the worst defender. Uh My, Larry would just go why won't he dunk it? And I think of that with Amari, Why won't you dunk it?
Speaker 5: Like I can tell you about everyone I know, we're sending me text people in the arena, why won't he do it? I mean, it was just lay up, lay up, and they're all misses. I tried to excuse it with the overfloated ball, but when it was like four or five in the first half, was.
Speaker 2: Well, what about what about that run by Kobe? I mean Kobe Brea. I mean he had the announcers, remember Kevin harland and and Stanvian Gunny your NBA announced Dan Bonner isn't but Harlan and they both were like, this dude is a flamethrower. You know, I was saying yesterday, I don't think any of these guys will get but playing the NBA, I should alter that conversation to say, I don't think any of them will be draft picks. But I could see a team trying to talk themselves into bray As shooting because he is a He is just a rifleman when it comes to shoot.
Speaker 7: When he gets hot. I don't think there's anybody better in college not shooting.
Speaker 2: There's nobody better shooting.
Speaker 3: The ball, and he's shipping.
Speaker 5: When he created he turned that one guy round, I mean he had him spinning completely lost to the finder. I think it was more of a mid range than a three. But he's been showing off some good ball handling and driving here lately too.
Speaker 2: I do think the story of the game, though, to me, is Butler.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you're just talking an overall story, I mean, he's playing with one arm, right, they keep trying new slings. He's on like his fourth sling, and I guess this one work.
Speaker 3: I guess it did work. He has zero points against Troy, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and fourteen points, but controlled the game. He twice did that thing where he drives by guy, then Waite sleeves behind him and kind of sticks his butt into him to push him back, and then goes forward. He did it twice in that game last night, and it worked perfectly both times.
Speaker 4: We see how valuable he is of the team just doing that, just running the offense, keeping everybody in control, making the right decision and playing d playing great defense.
Speaker 2: I mean, he should have said thirteen points and six turnovers. He Casparis Yakachunas see, I got.
Speaker 3: It good, nailed it.
Speaker 2: He I'm wonna say he was a non factor, but he was completely harassed the whole game.
Speaker 3: He rattled.
Speaker 2: You add Will Riley and Casparras up. They had eighteen points. You take that any day. Those are two first round picks that you held the eighteen points. Will Riley didn't even play in the second half because he was because they shut him down so much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Consparras was definitely rattled most of the game. You could tell, especially early on, missed some shots. Because I think but Butler deserves all the credit.
Speaker 2: Butler played a lot on him. Chandler played him a little bit. I mean, they they really did an amazing job. If I'm nine to eighth, twenty two eighty seven.
Speaker 4: Who'd you say is from here? Greg Popovich and Dan your friend Dan Dockitch.
Speaker 2: Okay, I wish you'd told me that for a book. The hotel.
Speaker 3: Photos not walking through that door. He maybe let's let's call him Stevie. Want's come join us today.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back, Scaz, Welcome back Techy Sports Radio. If I'm nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven, I got some got sent some pictures of the KS bar last night. Looked like it was a lot of fun. There was a guy dressed as like RoboCop, but a Kentucky RoboCop, which I have two. First of all, looked awesome, too, very awesome. You can see it on Ryan Lemon's Twitter account. But I have two questions. One where does one get one of those? Like like where do you find that costume? And number two like it's really cool to walk into KOs bar with that costume. You can get your get your picture, but then do you just sit there the whole night in that like how do you eat? Probably gets a little hot, probably gets a little hot, a little uncomfortable. I was helping, Yeah, who's going to the bathroom?
Speaker 7: It looks homemade. It looks more like a storm Trooper. To me, I'm not a Star Wars guy.
Speaker 2: It sounds like you are. It sounds like I'm Scarce scar It is not a RoboCop and it's a Star proper Chewbacca.
Speaker 3: There an extra hime.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I mean, I think you can't sit in that at the entire night. That's gotta be hot.
Speaker 2: I would think it was. And he was sitting on one of those hot seats with his little feet dangling off of it.
Speaker 7: So this is what we're gonna do now, Just encourage people to dress up like mascot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, I mean, I'll say, Friday night at the bar will be exciting playing We're gonna play Tennessee. I want to focus on Tennessee starting tomorrow. I do want to enjoy this moment because I think this is an exciting moment. What did you you know? Illinois just they never really material We got that early lead, and I think we led they said thirty eight of the forty minutes of the game.
Speaker 5: They went up five to four, and then Kentucky led for thirty seven minutes and forty seconds.
Speaker 6: I think it helped.
Speaker 5: Illinois was pretty cold early, and then the second half they started hitting a couple threes, but the cushion was already too big for them to really be a threat.
Speaker 4: Yes, they only ended up shooting twenty five percent from three, and I think that's just because they hit a couple of late.
Speaker 2: Yeah, worse than that if it wasn't for little Z.
Speaker 3: Little Z.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Little Z had five threes.
Speaker 3: I just kept waiting for the run to come, and it really never did.
Speaker 2: Did they cut it to six right there at the end, and that was but that was only the still a minute and a half left when they cut it to six.
Speaker 5: Well, on the on the pregame, I said, they're very inconsistent, and they went forty percent the night before, and even those Illinois fans we talked to were like, we can never put two games together, and that proved to be true. They went from forty percent to twenty something percent. That's just kind of what their team's been this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm nine twenty two eighty seven. For people who watched it home, I think Havin uh Kevin Harland on the game had to be exciting, Like even last night when I was listening to the highlights, it was very cool. Listening to him call. I mean like he's got you know, he's got that voice, he's got that and we were used to seeing him on big NBA games. I mean, Mario, you want to talking about geek and half Yeah, he was, he was at I was trying to think, like we've talked about before, I in my lifetime, I don't really freak out about many celebrities, Like if you go through my life with people, I've been like, oh, I can't wait to meet So I met Obama though before he was Obama, like he was a senator.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you did.
Speaker 2: It's really I wasn't like I would freak out if I met Oh. I did meet David Letterman and I kind of freaked out in a REDS game. I don't think I would freak out if I met Tony Kornheiser, but I'd be very excited if I felt like he'd be nice to me. I think I would freak out with Howard Stern, but I feel like he'd be meet I feel like he'd be a jerk, so I'd rather not meet him. So a point being, I don't think there's many people i'd be like. Mario has a list that starts with Kevin Harris, right, I mean my man.
Speaker 3: Like the broadcast to go get a selfhie.
Speaker 2: Well no, I mean he was like, I gotta meet Kevin Harley. I got to meet Kevin Harley and he broke away from me at one point and grabbed Kevin Harlan like a stalker and was like, I need you to take a picture. I've never seen Kevin Harlan has never had a bigger fan than he had with Mario last night.
Speaker 4: As soon as I got to the arena, Mario, I'm sorry. Rio rushed up to me and just show me his picture with Kevin Harley. He was so excited about.
Speaker 2: It, dude, he was so excited. Look at you. Get you a girl that looks at you like Mario looks at Kevin Hardy.
Speaker 5: I share a ruber barrio last night and I looked over and he was just in bed looking.
Speaker 3: At the front.
Speaker 2: What are you doing?
Speaker 6: If I went in there? But he was very excited.
Speaker 2: Who's up? Firest Rick got t o up first? How are you to o.
Speaker 8: Doing?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 3: Boys?
Speaker 8: God bless you. Good to hear from you today. God bless the cats as well. Call it from the job site. Putting the footer down and hiding in the port of party is usual to make this call, risking my job because.
Speaker 2: It's important today, a porter party call.
Speaker 8: I like it, Yes, sir, there are three men in America right now that are working to make things great again.
Speaker 2: Let me just get I don't want to know one of them, but give me the other.
Speaker 8: Okay, I'll give you two of them, one of them the young Mario. I'm telling you what injected fresh blood into this crew.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 8: I love y'all, but every now and then we get a little staff, need a little young blood to get in there. And even though he thanks Sonic Stock for a couple of days that time, he's a pretty good.
Speaker 2: Sailor, yes he is.
Speaker 8: And also mar Pope is making the NCAA tournament great again. Watching the game since since the boys Julius Randall on them, we're making that run.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what I call from party, I appreciate it. I actually I totally agree with him. There is you know, there was just an excitement about about that victory. I was trying. I mean I was trying. I think the last time I was that excited about a tournament win it was probably when we beat UCLA in twenty seventeen because Dearon Fox had had that crazy good game against Lonzo Ball.
Speaker 6: You say they got him earlier that year.
Speaker 2: You see, there was I was really into that win and and uh, you know, but this to me, I mean, when we beat Houston on the last second shot, that was exciting. But I don't know, I don't know that I felt to say, there's just probably go back to that one and the Julie. I think the Julius Randall team is a good analogy because we didn't expect any of those wins, so each win got more and more exciting. I kind of thought we were gonna lose yesterday, to be honest with him, and so I think it was kind of exciting when we won.
Speaker 7: It's been a while since we've had anything to get excited about, so that's refreshing, first of all. And now you got your biggest, well one of your biggest rivals coming up this weekend in Tennessee. That's gonna be a crazy atmosphere, I think in Indianapolis on Friday night.
Speaker 4: I think really this kind of started with the last second shot over Oklahoma, just to win that first game in the ANC Tournament. And the way they won it, that last second shot. I think this that relief just lifted off your shoulders. And then you win your first game against Troy, more relief. Now you're beating on oil, going to be sixteen. I think it's just kind of building up. But I think it started with that Oklahoma win, and.
Speaker 5: You mentioned nough fun the celebration was. You know a lot of coaches they're almost too cool to celebrate. I agree, Like when Jay Wright hit that buzzer beater, he just keeps a straight face and goes to shake hands. Mark Pope was jumping up and down. If you watch that video UK put out, he's like Jack's get over here, Brady, get over here. I don't want to hear you, but he's jumping up and chess bumping every player on the team. I mean, it's it's fun to see a coach get that into it like he was.
Speaker 2: That he does that. I love that he does that. I never like when coaches do though we ain't want anything yet, No, take a moment and and enjoy it. I mean, I I talked about last night that I really love. They're doing this thing now where they put the the sticker on the brackets for those guys. Take a moment to enjoy it. I mean Pope said something last night where he goes and this is true, Like you only have so many moments in your life where you have like elated joy about something. Take a minute to like soak that in before you immediately go, Okay, what's next. Enjoy that? And I think that Mark Pope is really good ryan about making his team take that moment and just celebrate and enjoy it. We can talk about Tennessee tomorrow. Let's just enjoy this and live in this moment that they'll remember for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 4: And to be fair, none of these guys probably would have experienced that if it hadn't been from Mark Popek bringing him here.
Speaker 2: You know, Lamon Lamon experienced it, but nobody else has, right, So yeah, I really like that. I love how much fun they have him. And you should see his wife how excited she gets. I mean, his wife is just running around like she I feels like she wants to be a cheerleader in those moments. And I feel like I've met his daughters and I think I've met seventy five different peoples. I just keep meeting his daughters, and I don't think they're the same people. I think he's got. I think he has an unending supply of daughters.
Speaker 4: I couldn't tell him apart Layla. One of them is Leayla. What's the other ones?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know. I keep meeting. I've met some of them like five times.
Speaker 3: Avery, Okay, she's one on a mission, Layla.
Speaker 2: And then there's fare others.
Speaker 3: There are two others, there's seventy three others.
Speaker 5: It is very neat how he's made it so like they're at every press conference. I mean, the family is with him at all times, going to everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They that his wife collapse at the end of the press conferences, which I think is kind.
Speaker 3: Of cute, as she really Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh, spring is sprung, and that means you're getting outside more, whether that's doing yard work or just staying active by biking or running. Increase physical activity when the weather gets warmer can also lead to aches, pains, and injuries. That's where court physical therapy can help. Court therapists can help you heal and get back to where you were before. It's easy to find the center near you. Seventy locations statewide that's court dot com, ko RT dot com. We'll take a break and be right back here in Meryllville, Indiana. This is KSR. Welcome back, take you sports radio. We got some folks on the phone. I want to go to it, but first we got to talk about pipe bombs. Derrek Piper.
Speaker 6: Oh I saw that.
Speaker 2: So Derek Piper. I didn't even know who this dude was, got nothing against him. He's got twenty eight thousand followers, so he throws from He says he gives hot takes, which he calls hashtag pipe bombs, so that a nerd him me hashtag to me hashtag pipe bomb. I will say, if I worked in Illinois media, it would be hard for me not to look at that dude all the time and go, oh, pie bomb. Yeah, you see, because he says like, you can't be he can't be real, putting that in his bio hashtag pipe bomb. Anyway, he works with twenty four seven Sports, which I guess is a right? Is a right? Is a twenty four seven site. It's not a rival site. He's twenty four seven site. And he made some offhanded comment about how uh he thought, oh, Kentucky media wears Kentucky gear. Oh is that how it's gonna be? Like, you know, like you know, he's Mike Wallace or something from sixty minutes working at pipe Bomb at the Illinois Insider or whatever. Now, I don't think that comment it was made it me, although it could have been, but I had normally, just as a side not, I don't wear UK gear. I do think it's kind of like you. I mean, I only it's a rule, but I just don't do it because like when I start was coming up, people weren't doing it. Now it's becoming much more common. I don't care. Normally, I don't do it. I did have on a KSR shirt, which is like my halfway ground right because it says Kentucky Sports right now. Yeah, now I had a UK had on, which I actually didn't mean to do. I kind of didn't rise I had it on. But whatever, point being, it's not that big deal. It's certainly not worth a pipe one, okay. But I saw that, and then I like, apparently maybe he saw Jack Pilgrim or something, and so I felt like I had to, you know, you got to take up for your people. Yeah, so I just uh so, first I responded Piper down, which I liked, but then I remember the voice from White Lotus Piper now, so I sent the gift of pipe or no from White Lotus, and then it just became I mean, I'm not gonna say, poor guy. He put it out there, but I looked up he had five hundred responses. Oh my goodness, all people send in their own pipe off, and it just I don't think it went well for him for the rest of the day.
Speaker 5: No, I think I was looking at his other tweets. They have like ten twenty thousand views. That would have like seven hundred thousand views. He was probably talking about Jack's Jack had a sweatshirt on, but I was near him and I had the brightest blue shirt I own and the UK had on. And I'm sorry when I got dressed in the morning, I forgot to consider Derek's feelings before I put on my outfit. But I think it's crazy. If he only knew how much money I had on.
Speaker 6: The game, he'd be really upset.
Speaker 2: A journalist, Yeah, I mean, look here, I've always had this belief going back to when I started. Everybody has their own personal views, right. I'm a fan of just say it right. I could sit there and act like I don't like Kentucky, but that's stupid because I do, and it's gonna come across. I feel this way about everything, like just be honest about who you are, and then people can make the determination whether they want to believe you or not. Right, Like, I'm not gonna believe a word Sean handed, he says, because I know what he is, but at least he says it. I think it'd be worse to act like you didn't and then do the same thing. Right, So I have no problem with Kentucky media wanting Kentucky to win. If Piper Knew is honest, he's gonna get more subscriptions if Illinois wins, so he wants them to win too.
Speaker 7: I have to admit I saw that tweet and I immediately looked at my left and gus he was wearing Kentucky gear, Ryan Lemon.
Speaker 4: I've always wondered where is this rule written? What he said media can't wear their school colors? Why where is it written?
Speaker 2: Belief for a long time that you had to act like you didn't care who won. But that's always been nonsense, Yes, right, that's always been nonsense, And so I'm just so when I A big reason for KSR success was I was open in Kentucky. I wanted Kentucky to win. But the thing is, I don't know if Jerry Tipton wanted Kentucky to win, but the Harald Leader wanted Kentucky to win. They sell more papers. Sure Kentucky wins.
Speaker 3: Tom Leach did't what Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Tom Lench, of course wants Kentucky win. Kentucky. Like, let's just be honest. Bill Simmons is, in my opinion, the one who changed this. Bill Simmons came around and said I want the Boston teams to win, and then all the sudden it became well, I kind of want my team to win. Yeah, I kind of want And as long as you know who that team is, person's team is, then you can judge whether they're fair or not. So Piper bomb like, it was not much of a bomb to me, except poor guy he got a lot. And then I kept thinking I was gonna run into him and how he was gonna be and I was just gonna go.
Speaker 3: Did any of the media run into him?
Speaker 2: I mean, I know we had a picture there, but I wasn't sure. But I just wanted to go piper name.
Speaker 5: I had an Illinois fan tweet me and they're like typical UK journalism school. You could drop me in UK's campus right now. I wouldn't know what direction to walk we find the journalism school.
Speaker 2: I don't know where it is.
Speaker 3: Here's a named.
Speaker 2: Probably four of the six most followed people UH in UK broadcasting are sitting on this couch and none of us went to journalism school.
Speaker 6: It's true.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 2: You may have even you may have taken a journalism class.
Speaker 4: I was a mass communications major at Kentucky Westley In College. That put me on the path where I am today.
Speaker 6: That's the closest You're the closest.
Speaker 5: Dinosaurs and disasters, not journalism classes.
Speaker 2: Disasters. I took Friendship Romance Love. There you go.
Speaker 3: It took what is it ale that you can't cheer for?
Speaker 2: You're not supposed to cheer on press. They say that I.
Speaker 6: Haven't written unwritten rule. Don't worry about what another grown man's wearing.
Speaker 2: What's wrong with friendship? Romance Love?
Speaker 8: Is it?
Speaker 3: That was the name of the class? Friendship Romance Love?
Speaker 6: Is that A three?
Speaker 2: It was like it was I I learned about friendship worked well, learned about romance and love still got an a and it worked out. Who's next? Michael is up next? Michael Rix' laughing it Now we go ahead, Michael.
Speaker 9: Hey man, I just got two quick things. First, I really hope we don't have to play anymore of visitches those two brothers against us uh. And the second thing is, I just want to say I kind of teared up when I saw that video of you and Pope hugging. I know, these last couple of years with the previous staff, it's been a bit rough on you guys, and I've been listening to you all for years. I love this show. It's a part of my daily routine. And like I said, I know you've been through a lot, and I'm sure there's even more you haven't gone into detail with, so just and the coach embrace you. It was great to see. So I'm really glad you got to have that moment last night.
Speaker 2: Oll. Thank you man. I mean I I it was a great moment for me. It's you know, it was more it was more symbolic to me. I mean, I know my relationship with Pope was positive, but it was you know, what made the last couple of years. Hard was the way that the tension between the staff and us affected the way the fans looked at us, and it was the way it was really the reaction we got from the fans because of it, and you know, to that moment last night, to me is the culmination of a year that really began at the press conference when you started to see, you know, the haters are a minority. But yeah, that was really neat and I think Mark appreciates I told this story. You know, when I met Mark the first time, I said to him, you know, Mark, I really thought about not doing this anymore, and I don't. I guess he didn't understand me because he thought I was saying I still was that was thinking about not doing it, and he was like, you got to keep doing it. He was like, you're important to this, you are my connection to the fans. You've got to keep doing it. It's gonna be worth and he was like trying to taught me in to keep going. And I wanted to be like, at this point, I've already decided to stay. We're good. But it was like he really thought there was an important role for the media in this that it was a connection to fans. I mean he took a picture with all the media. Yeah. I mean we didn't get invioted, but he took a picture with everyone else. Yeah yeah. But seriously, like I said, this towards the end of cal when everything is connected, this place rolls the best. When the staff, the boosters, the administration, the media are all on the same side. You get nights like you got last night. Amen, and that's good to see. We'll take a break, come back. I remember two Scar